Hours before the latest ceasefire was set to expire last night, Israel resumed attacks on the Gaza Strip and Hamas again began to launch rockets. Both sides blamed each other for the failed ceasefire. Five missiles hit the al-Dalou family home in Gaza City, killing the wife and three-year-old daughter of Hamas military leader Mohammed Deif, and injuring 18. While Israel’s assault on Gaza has now claimed at least 2,030 lives and caused more than 10,302 injuries, along with entire neighborhoods destroyed, frustration with the status quo has boiled over into near-total support for armed resistance. Dan Cohen meets with the Qadan family, who barely escaped from Rafah during the Black Friday massacre when 120 civilians were killed by an Israeli attacks. Above, Dima and Kamal Qadan display bombs dropped onto their home by Israeli warplanes. Continue reading
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- ‘Lesson: The Jews will defend themselves even if it means killing children’ (133)
- Salaita’s stellar teaching record exposes political motivation behind his firing (28)
- Despite ravages of war, Gaza supports armed resistance to lift the siege (14)
- just: I am deeply moved by your response, and the fact that you took the time to respond to what I hoped was not in...
- What’s 7 letters and begins with Z and runs in the ‘NYT’? (13)
- just: Lawrence O’Donnell takes down (trashes) the NYT article about the Michael Brown killing. “Shooting...
- ‘Absolutely not!’ — Young Colorado Jews meet hostility when they try to talk to organizational leaders (15)