If I could have dated an album, I would have been going steady with Coldplay’s Parachutes

ericacoldplay
ERICA: Greg and I went to see Coldplay this weekend and I cried. It was an eighth grade, passing notes in class, TLF kind of moment, but I cried nonetheless.

Five years ago I moved here to NYC from LA and made my way to the east coast with two friends on a crazy cross country trip. We brought a ton of music with us, but wound up basically listening to Coldplay’s Parachutes album on a constant loop for six days. Some people get super duper sick of an album after that much listening, but I swear if I could have dated an album, Coldplay and I would have been going steady for shizzle. I spent the next six months trying to find a job, an apartment and some friends…and the whole time I continued listening to Coldplay like it was my mission in life. As silly as I feel admitting this, Coldplay sort of got me through it all.

I had a really magical moment at the meadowlands this weekend. The band started to play one of my favorite songs from that first album, and it just hit me all at once: How all of the things I was looking for 5 years ago have managed to find their way to me in spades…every single one of them.

Dear God or whoever you are,
Thanks for reminding me that all of this wedding planning BS is about a 10 on a scale of 1-10 of things that are pretty unimportant in life. And also for reminding me how lucky I am to have a wonderful family, a whole new career and to have found such a groovy guy and a cute puppy dog.

Rock on,
Erica

1. Yasmin
    March 28, 2006, 1:03 pm

Amen to soundtracks to our lives!!!

2. Katie
    March 28, 2006, 8:24 pm

Cheers!
    Good for you. I was at the Meadowlands too, and it was an amazing experience.

I'd go steady with Coldplay too, in a second. Don't feel silly!

-Katie

3. Leah
    March 29, 2006, 12:25 am

Ah yes. On the road with Coldplay. How can I forget getting my driving privileges silently revoked or staring bitterly out the window as you two refused to stop at yet ANOTHER Waffle House. I heard Badly Drawn Boy "The Shining" the other day and nearly lost it. Speaking of weddings, I think the intro of that song would be the most beautiful melody to walk down the aisle to. More so than any of the traditional tunes. In case you are wondering if you can steal that idea now that I am happily divorced, survey says YES!

4. lacitygirl
    March 31, 2006, 7:05 pm

I always say that a song can change your mood. Never, ever feel guilty about how a song can make you feel. I will forever remember a drive along the central coast in California on an early Sunday morning with my best friend and hearing Johnny Cash's cover of "Personal Jesus." It's a moment in life that will stay with me forever and whenever I hear the song I will recall that happy morningø‡

5. zenegra
    May 24, 2006, 6:59 pm

Its the second time visited this blog. Looks interesting.

6. bdsm fem dom
    June 9, 2006, 9:57 pm

i am happy mostly – though terribly sick at times – the medicine is not a perfect fix – i think some weed would help but caant find any – Kant find any…