Matthews: ‘I Want to Know Everything’ About Politics/Religion

US Politics

I need to restrain my enthusiasm about Chris Matthews. He’s my go-to guy for politics, he’s both brilliant and streetsmart (though his self-indulgent streak–lately he’s been airing clips of his dancing on Ellen DeGeneres’s show, two nights in a row–is simply mindboggling). Tonight Matthews was at his best. He had on Deborah Solomon of the New York Times, who had lately interviewed the Rev. John Hagee, and David Kuo of beliefnet.

Both reporters were making the argument that the political culture is going too far in its scrutiny of the candidates’ pastors and other religious connections. We’ve gone "into the weeds," Kuo said, while Solomon was saying that Hagee’s and Jeremiah Wright’s views don’t really matter re McCain and Obama.

Matthews cut this off. He pointed out that we’ve just had a president whose religious beliefs affected his decisionmaking re the Middle East. Then he said, "I want to know everything." It was a great journalistic comment, aimed in this case at journalists. Let’s have as many facts as we can, then decide what’s important. Let’s be curious, not incurious.

Some day this guy’s going to talk about Jews and Israel in American politics…

1. Steve
    March 21, 2008, 11:30 pm

Matthews was one of the great cheerleaders for the war in Iraq. Also, while I'm an Obama supporter, I thought his misogyny directed to Clinton, particularly his stupid comments about her New Hampshire crying jag, showed what an imbecile he was. Olbermann and–believe it or not–Pat Buchanan had to chime in and get Matthews to cool his anti-Hillary rhetoric.

So, while I think it's great that he thought Obama's speech was a good thing, I still think he lacks journalistic qualities–he's just too self-indulgent and in love with his own character.

2. American
    March 21, 2008, 11:31 pm

Chris did bring up the jews or zionist in the US once or twice…before and after the Iraq invasion ……I don't remember who he had on the show at that time but he did address the subject of how much the Jews or AIPAC were or weren't pushing the Iraq war.

What is funny to me, is anyone can see, as in this blog, and all over the net, that the majority of people are onto this issue in our politics and very disapproving of the whole Isr/Merica intersection and the Jewish Lobby. BUT…because it is kept off the MSM and the cable airwaves…..the Lobby and other zionist organs think they can continue to claim all America supports Israel.

Like you I think it will finally hit the MSM…but unfortunately not until something really bad happens that make it impossible to cover up.

3. Arie Brand
    March 22, 2008, 1:45 am

Well, Matthews did laugh in the face of the guy who claimed emotionally that Iran had threatened to 'exterminate' Israel. But instead of coming up with the facts to knock the bottom out of that lie he merely said that he hadn't heard of it and that the threat 'was not made on American soil'.

But that laugh, and a rather gleeful one it was, will have been recorded in the files of whoever or whatever is monitoring the attitude of American public persons towards Israel.

4. Lea_No_der
    March 22, 2008, 8:26 am

Interesting observation Arie.

I not familiar with the deepness of our dear friend Phil's hate for Hilary nor its genesis, I no doubt miss something essential in this respect, but this makes me wonder:

link to en.wikipedia.org

Discussing the media's coverage of the Iraq war, Matthews said, "During [the] course of the war, there was a lot of snap-to-it coverage. We're at war. We have to root for the country to some extent. You're not supposed to be too aggressively critical of a country at combat, especially when it's your own."[11]

Hmmm? Spontaneous impression soldier of ressentment, this guy will only move when the Zeitgeist has changed and it is more secure to stick out his nose into the wind.

link to en.wikipedia.org

5. LeaNder
    March 22, 2008, 8:41 am

correction:

I "am" not familiar, of cause.

But strictly:

"Matthews: 'I Want to Know Everything' About Politics/Religion"

Yes, many of us do.

6. nitwit
    March 22, 2008, 8:54 am

unbelievable: of course.

7. Richard Witty
    March 22, 2008, 9:04 am

Everything is a big responsibility.

That would include many various Jewish, Islamic, Christian, and other influences.

Are you up for it?

8. Charles Keating
    March 22, 2008, 9:48 am

Hagee is.

9. MM
    March 22, 2008, 11:29 am

No, Richard, I don't think Phil wants to know EVERYTHING about the Hindu Lobby! He can't handle the truth!

10. Richard Witty
    March 22, 2008, 11:57 am

India and Israel have recently made friends, after decades of animosity.

When I went to Israel and India in 1986, India and Israel didn't have diplomatic relations and I had to fly from Cairo to get to New Delhi.

India is one of the active victims and opponents to radical Islamic terrorism. (For example, the Kashmir "civil war" is largely the work of Al Quaida.)

He SHOULD know about the "Hindu Lobby" (even though there are roughly the same % of Muslims in India as in Israel).

Israel and India also share a similar relationship of need for oil, that is threatened by the prospect of reactionary applications of Islam.

11. Richard Witty
    March 22, 2008, 12:00 pm

Also, when India elected and implemented policies of a "fundamentalist" Hindu party, conflict with Pakistan for example, escalated.

12. peters
    March 22, 2008, 12:03 pm

There is way too much optimism here. I mean, it's touching. I really wish Phil was right about things changing. I read quite recently(sorry not to have the link) that 70% of Americans approve of Israel. And that number was higher than any other country, alot higher. The propaganda is working.

13. peters