On antiwar.com, there is a fine interview by Scott Horton of Jeff Stein of CQ, regarding his blockbuster story, in which Stein describes Harman's phone-mate of 2005 as a "suspected Israeli double agent" and suggests that the agent was not Haim Saban.
On hearing the tape, Justice Department lawyers' felt that they had caught Harman in a "completed crime" that demanded investigation. Stein defined completed crime as a "prima facie case that a crime was committed, in this case, that she did something in exchange for something, in other words, a sort of pay-for-play or influence peddling kind of thing… It looks like, by just merely promising to do that, merely promising to do that, she had committed a crime…. to do a favor in exchange for something of value, which is to say, to get appointed to be the chair of the House intelligence committee."
Of course: "Ms. Harman may have all kinds of innocent explanations for this conversation."
Stein also said that Harman was swept up in a continuation of the investigation of former AIPAC staffers, Steve Rosen and Ken Weissman, who had been indicted some months before–"an outgrowth of that or a continuation of that." I.e., the wiretapping was not part of the National Security Agency's warrantless wiretapping program, though the NSA was called in to perform electronic surveillance of "this target."
The investigation the Justice Department lawyers wanted of Jane Harman never started, Stein said, because Alberto Gonzales wanted Harman, "a prominent Democrat on the Hill who was above reproach" to support the Administration politically on that controversial, aforementioned, secret warrantless wiretapping program. As she did. "He didn't want any dirt on Jane Harman to be made public."
More: "This sounds like a bad, bad movie… The whole thing sounds like a Washington thriller, sort of like State of Play… I'm hoping someone buys the movie rights."
Horton brings up Haim Saban.
But Stein says, We have not identified who the target was– "who was the suspected Israeli double agent."
Horton asks about Saban a second time.
Stein: "I do not have that. I was told by one of my sources that he was not the target."
Did she know he was an agent of the Israeli government, rather than just an influential lobbyist?
"That is a really interesting question, which hasn't been answered yet."
- Registration of Jews and other human beings 1
- Palestinian youth fulfill their ‘right of return’ to the destroyed … 0
- Israeli settlers release wild boars on Palestinian farmland to destroy … 0
- Federal agencies express concerns about Israel’s entry into the Visa … 29
- Peter Beinart misses South Africa’s apartheid lesson, Gideon Levy gets … 49
- Passover Auto-Pilot 21
- Global Earth Day coalition drops SodaStream over complicity in Israeli … 15
- Snowden revealed a world of conspiracies I once would have … 35
- ‘Haaretz’ removes red-baiting headline — ‘I’m not anti-Israel’ — on … 0
- ‘Like the NRA, AIPAC sows fear in the halls of … 0
- Mohammed Al-Azza tells Dublin why Aida camp resists occupation 0
- Southern Poverty Law Center takes Blumenthal’s side against smear campaign 0
- Why should planning in West Bank be divided on ethnic … 0
- No rescue! 0
- Tensions rise on Temple Mount as rightwing Jews seek to … 0
- On Easter, costly Jews – and costly Palestinians 0
- Obama and Kerry are spurred by ‘vainglory’ in pursuing talks … 186
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 185
- John Judis’s Truman book is a landmark in anti-Zionism 113
- How many ‘Palestinian Arabs’ want to kill ‘all Jews?’ 112
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 111
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an 87
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 78
- RT @jmalsin: Relax, everyone. Hamas and Fatah agreed to "begin negotiations" to form a unity government. http://t.co/fWX6HZdeG7, 14 mins ago
- RT @stevesalaita: Sorry, Israel. Even the North Pole is practicing #BDS: http://t.co/B7AOemUZ9G, 18 mins ago
- Registration of Jews and other human beings http://t.co/rP82EQiHyu, 25 mins ago
- Israeli settlers release wild boars on Palestinian farmland to destroy crops http://t.co/DGyxU1nU3E http://t.co/6Xvrci6M9b, 28 mins ago
- Palestinian youth fulfill their 'right of return' to the destroyed village of Iqrit http://t.co/qvUmCk7mI4 http://t.co/rVusSbXBei, 60 mins ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Federal agencies express concerns about Israel’s entry into the Visa Waiver Program (29)
- Peter Beinart misses South Africa’s apartheid lesson, Gideon Levy gets it (49)
- Registration of Jews and other human beings (1)
- seafoid: Poor Zionists. They can discriminate against Palestinians in their Shangri la but it’s not acceptable...
- Father of photographer critically wounded at West Bank protest: ‘This is life under occupation’ (40)
- talknic: @ j “It is ironic. It’s like we care if the world recognize our annexation of half of Mexico”...
- Max Blumenthal’s guilt by association – with Jewish ethics (16)