One Palestinian family’s story illustrates the absurdity, and intention, of Israeli policy

I am a Palestinian refugee, from the village of Fallujah which lies between Gaza, Hebron and Asqalan. I’ve never been allowed to visit Fallujah; my grandparents were exiled from there in 1949 (a year after the founding of Israel) and took refuge in the Gaza Strip. My father and I were both born in the Khan Younis refugee camp-he a few years before Gaza was occupied by Israel, and I in 1988, a month after the outbreak of the first intifada. My dad married a woman from the West Bank-they had met and fallen in love while they were both studying at Birzeit University, and when I was two years old we emigrated to the UK where he received his Phd.

Fourteen years later, in 2004, we all returned to Palestine to live in Ramallah. Now British citizens, my parents were determined that my three siblings and I would forge a stronger connection to our homeland than we ever could living abroad. At first, the transition was made easier by the fact that our foreign passports gave us the freedom of movement that was denied to other Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza. For me, this reality was shattered when in late 2005 I attempted to cross the River Jordan from the West Bank to visit my aunt in Amman. The Israeli border agents told me that I could not pass, because I had an Israeli issued Gaza ID. Under Israeli military rules, this meant that I could not ‘legally’ be present in the West Bank because the Israeli occupation had mandated that Palestinians from Gaza could not enter the West Bank, and Palestinians from the West Bank could not enter Gaza. This policy had been in force since the early 1990’s, but was applied with increasing severity after the outbreak of the second intifada.

I lived the next four years under constant fear of arrest by the Israeli military, because that would have resulted in almost certain deportation to Gaza, and isolation from my family. For those four years, I never left the confines of Ramallah, so as to avoid the Israeli checkpoints on every one of the town’s entrances-but even this couldn’t give me a sense of security because I had to commute daily to Birzeit University, on a route frequently patrolled by Israeli forces from the nearby settlement of Bet El.

In July of this year, after many pleas for assistance from the hapless Palestinian Authority, I asked the Israeli NGO Gisha to help me obtain permission from the Israeli occupation to leave the West Bank. I wanted to take part in an internship in the United States, but I would only be granted the permission to exit on the condition that I only return to the Gaza Strip, which had been under siege and total closure for the better of two years then. I accepted this impossible choice-after four years of imprisonment in Ramallah, I wanted to see the outside world and look for a job abroad.

During this entire period, my family had more or less been saved the travel restrictions imposed on me. As a foreign journalist, my dad frequently traveled between the West Bank, Gaza and inside the Green Line, and my mother and siblings would join him on day trips to Jerusalem, Umm al-Fahem, Acca and Haifa. But that all changed this August when he was entering Gaza through the Erez crossing as he had done many times before. On this day however, he was arrested by the Israeli military and had his press credentials revoked. He was told his British passport was worthless, because they had made a frightening discovery: My dad had been born and raised in a refugee camp in Gaza, and had a Gaza ID. They told him he would henceforth be treated not as a foreigner, but as a Gazan-he was sent into Gaza and told he could never cross the Green Line or enter the West Bank again.

My mother and siblings back in Ramallah were also informed that their British passports were worthless and that they would be issued Palestinian IDs by Israel. Despite being raised in the West Bank and still owning a copy of her old West Bank ID, my mother was actually issued with a Gaza ID. We assume this is because she married a Gazan 22 years ago, but nobody has given us a clear answer. This has put her in the same quandary I was in for the last four years. She cannot leave Ramallah for fear of arrest and deportation to Gaza, away from her children, her sister’s and the young children of her recently deceased brother. This situation was compounded by another perplexing development; my brother and sisters, all of whom were born in the UK, and whose parents and older brother had been issued Gaza ID’s, were issued West Bank IDs.

My dad spent the last few months trying to get permission to go back to the West Bank to see his wife and kids-even for a day to pick up his clothes. But whether it was through the British consulate or Israeli NGO’s, the Israeli occupation was adamant that he would not be allowed out of Gaza, unless it was to be deported from Ben Gurion airport. Eventually, in order to save his job, he left Gaza when Egypt opened the Rafah crossing in early December.

Now, my father is in one country and I am in another, while my mother is trapped in the West Bank, unable to travel for fear of never being allowed back. Thankfully, my brother and sisters are able to cross into Jordan, where we may see each other, but our family has been torn apart and separated under the most arbitrary occupation laws imaginable. Despite the continued attempts of Israeli and Palestinian NGO’s, we have found no recourse with the Israeli authorities, and the British consulate has proved useless. We even sent a letter to Tony Blair, the representative of the Quartet, imploring him to intervene on our behalf as British citizens (the letter is included below). Unsurprisingly, we were ignored.

I believe this story needs to be told not because our situation is so unique, but precisely because it isn’t; this is the result of a deliberate Israeli policy, one that has been in place since the early days of the Nakba and has been evolving ever since. It is a policy that has led to the dispossession of millions of Palestinians, and the separation and breakup of tens of thousands of families. The forcibly imposed separation between the West Bank and Gaza is illegal under international law, and through it Israel is succeeding in separating the Palestinian people, one family at a time.

This is the letter my father sent Tony Blair:

Dear Mr. Blair,

I write to you as a British citizen who has exhausted most of the options available to him in the pursuit of a basic human right – the right to see and be with my own family.

I was born in the Gaza Strip in 1962 and left to the UK in 1990 to pursue my PhD at the University of Bradford. In 2004, I moved with my wife and four children to the West Bank town of Ramallah. I was working as a foreign journalist, licensed by the Israeli Government Press Office and staying in the country along with my family on one year renewable work visas. In 2005 my eldest son Mohammad was turned back by Israel border agents as he attempted to cross into Jordan to visit his aunt. The agents told Mohammad that since he was born in the Gaza Strip in 1988, he had been issued a Gaza ID by the Israeli occupation, that his British passport was worthless and that he was not allowed to legally reside in the West Bank as per the Israeli occupation authority’s rules. For the next four years, he risked daily arrest by Israeli troops to get his university education at Birzeit University. This summer, he left the West Bank to find work abroad, and was told by the Israelis that once he left he would not be allowed to go back home.

Despite this clearly reprehensible situation, I and the rest of the family were thankfully spared such hardship. I was able to pursue my professional duties relatively unhindered in Israel, the West Bank and Gaza. This all changed very suddenly in August of this year when, on a routine trip to Gaza where I had several assignments and where I wanted to visit my ailing father, Israeli security detained me at the Erez checkpoint, harassed me, stripped me of my press credentials and told me that my British passport was worthless to them. I was told that I too have an Israeli-issued Gaza ID and thus would be treated as a Gazan; deprived of the most basic freedom of choice and movement. I was sent into Gaza and have not been allowed out since.

At the same time, my wife Manal and our children Linah and Ahmad, all still in Ramallah, were forced to accept their own Israeli-issued ID cards. Incredibly, Manal was given a Gaza ID despite being born abroad, raised in the West Bank and still owning a copy of her original West Bank ID. Like Mohammad before her, she has been told that Israel dictates that she cannot change her ID and lives in constant fear of arrest and deportation by Israeli troops. If she were to leave the country she would also be banned from returning to our family and home in Ramallah.

Meanwhile, Ahmad and Linah, who were both born in the UK and are new university students, have bizarrely been issued with West Bank ID cards, even though their parents and older brother were given Gaza IDs.

As a result of all of this, our family has been torn apart. I am stuck in Gaza, unable to travel freely between my sick father and wife and children. They are stuck in the West Bank, with my wife living in constant fear of deportation, while my oldest son is abroad, barred from entering the West Bank to see his mother, sisters and brother.

Israel has treated us like criminals for being Palestinians. We have been punished, displaced and deprived from each other’s company. The British Consulate has been trying to mediate with the Israeli authorities, but all it has managed to achieve is an Israeli offer to deport me if I decide to leave Gaza through Erez. I refuse to be a party to my own deportation, yet my livelihood is at stake, as is my children’s education. We cannot go on like this, and I appeal to your humanity to intervene and render this nightmare over.

Abdullah Alsaafin

Mohammad Alsaafin was born in the Khan Younis refugee camp and grew up in the UK and the US, before going back to Palestine for college at Birzeit.

About Mohammad Alsaafin

1. Chaos4700
    December 20, 2009, 1:57 am

First of all, thank you for sharing this story with us. It’s… overwhelming, frankly. I get to see bits and pieces of how the Israeli machine works by paying attention to news, reading up on actual history and occasional conversations with people who have been misfortunate enough to have to deal with Israel… but… even being prepared for it, the real story is still overwhelming.

I don’t know where to start, really, or more accurately where to finish, so at the moment I’ll just focus on this part:

What complete and utter hypocrisy. American-Israeli dual citizens expect to be treated with respect in the US and this is how they treat Palestinians? In the Palestinian’s own homeland?

Zionism is racism, pure and simple. You really don’t need anything but the cold, hard facts to see that. This is about treating Jews as privileged, and Palestinians as sub-human. Israel will become known as the biggest atrocity since the Holocaust — and if it isn’t stopped soon, it may very well displace the Holocaust as the worst human tragedy in living memory (at least).

2. The Hasbara Buster
    December 20, 2009, 2:04 am

The most striking aspect of the treatment this family has received is that it’s totally unrelated to any security concern.

Other Israeli actions are Draconian, but at least there’s a rationale to them. But the repression described here is purely irrational in that it inflicts enormous pain and suffering with no visible gain for the oppressors.

• Colin Murray
      December 20, 2009, 3:51 am

The ‘visible gain’ in my opinion is to encourage emigration by making Palestinians miserable enough to want to leave, especially educated people who form the backbone of civil society and would be critical to the development and future stability of a Palestinian state and economy. This isn’t just an apartheid measure, but a deliberate aspect of the Israeli government’s campaign of creeping or gradual ethnic cleansing.

The more I learn about Israel, the more disgusted I become. If American Jews can’t pressure the Israeli political establishment for genuine and far reaching reform, then they can’t sever relations with these disgraceful barbarians soon enough. It boggles my mind that anyone would want to maintain any association with them without concurrent strenuous efforts to make them change. Thank you Mr. Alsaafin for sharing your story, and thanks Phil and Adam for publishing it.

• Shmuel
        December 20, 2009, 5:16 am

Absolutely Colin, but there is another aspect to it, apparent in just about every aspect of the occupation: humiliation, disempowerment, infantilisation and dehumanisation. All of the arbitrary (eg. giving some members of the family WB IDs, and Gaza IDs to others) and draconian measures employed by Israel serve two purposes – to beat Palestinians into submission by destroying their self-confidence and dignity, and to desensitise Israeli and world public opinion to the their plight by treating them all as criminals (as opposed to journalists, students, parents, brothers and sisters).

Thank you Mr. Alsaafin. It is incredibly important to contest this false image of Palestinians projected by Israel and its supporters, and to stress that it is a malevolent system and not some coincidence or “unfortunate” bureaucratic glitch. You do both of these things in your eloquent article. I wish you and your family all the best.

3. James
    December 20, 2009, 3:53 am

i am very sorry to hear of your plight and thank you for sharing this story with us… it ought to raise some concerns in the most hardened zionists who happen to visit here from time to time….

4. Eva Smagacz
    December 20, 2009, 5:07 am

Simple. If they want to be together, they need to be anywhere else but not Occupied Palestine. Can’t have them breeding on a sacred Israeli Jewish soil.

5. potsherd
    December 20, 2009, 7:19 am

Such a shame that countries like Britain refuse to support and protect their own citizens.

• Chaos4700
      December 20, 2009, 10:34 am

You know actually, therein lies the method for turning Europe on this issue. This family’s story needs to be told to the British public as loudly as repeatedly as possible so that they start to understand how Israelis treat the Palestinians.

I think that will have an impact on how UK citizens vote, and what sort of politicians become Parliamentarians.

6. Citizen
    December 20, 2009, 8:21 am

I think Colin’s and Shmuel’s comments covered Israel’s practical motives well, and Chaos’s summary is right: racism in the ultimate psychological base. Across the USA in the early 1960’s days of the Civil Rights movement (the days of Dylan’s Blowin’ in the Wind), in many small rural areas and small southern town’s especially, black Americans were subject
    to similar petty de-humanizing official tactics “under color of law.”

With Obama’s book’s on record, it’s really hard to imagine our POTUS is not personally empathetic and sympathetic to the actual daily plight of the Palestinians.
    OTH, his intellect likely also resonates to the historical Jewish narrative of victimization by Europeans–and he’s a practical Chicago machine politician.

Britain’s silence regarding the rights of one of it’s citizens reminds me of Rachel Corrie’s and Tristan’s cases, and the handling of the USS Liberty attack by the US
    government. And none of those USS citizens were even dual citizens!

• Citizen
      December 20, 2009, 8:27 am

Also, thank you for sharing your sample real life family story, Mohammad Alsaafin.

• Mohammad Alsaafin
        December 20, 2009, 12:38 pm

Thank you for your support-I’m hoping that even if going public with this story doesn’t help me and my family, that maybe it will move people with illusions about the true nature of Israel and it policies towards Palestinians.

7. Judy
    December 20, 2009, 9:14 am

It’s time for progressive Jews to begin a public campaign renouncing their right of return — even as visitors — until all those who were born there can return.

• edwin
      December 20, 2009, 11:52 am

I don’t think that it will do much good. It’s not as if Israel wants progressive Jews anyway.

Also, the concept of “right of return” needs to be abandoned. If you wish to talk about compensation for all victims of Nazi Germany that is one thing, if you wish to talk about compensation for a select subset of the victims, that is not justice but privilege.

• edwin
        December 20, 2009, 11:56 am

select subset of the victims

Sorry, that is not quite what I meant – a group whose members would have theoretically been targets – recognizing that some, but not all of that group were targets.

8. yonira
    December 20, 2009, 12:45 pm

This is utterly disgusting. i feel for you and your family Mohammed. I hope you all the best.

• Chaos4700
      December 20, 2009, 1:05 pm

Yeah? And what do you intend to do about it besides say, “Sorry! Better luck next time.”

Yonira… this is Israel.

• yonira
        December 20, 2009, 2:10 pm

I know its Israel and I will do nothing to defend these atrocious actions. But what I will do is continue to fight for a just end to the occupation.

• Chaos4700
        December 20, 2009, 2:15 pm

No you won’t. You haven’t, yet.

• Mohammad Alsaafin
        December 22, 2009, 5:35 am

Yonira, I thank you for your empathy, but this is not just about ending the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. Like I wrote above, my family’s story didn’t start in 2004, or in 1967-it started in 1948. My grandparents were expelled from their village and have spent the last 60-odd years in despicible conditions in a refugee camp, unable to go home, unable to travel, unable to escape the continued torment of decades of military oppression.

Ending the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza may improve the lives of those there, but it won’t solve the problems they face, nor the problems faces by Palestinian refugees in refugee camps abroad.

• Shingo
        December 20, 2009, 8:41 pm

Chaos,

I know you’re angry about this, but when an Israeli defender like Yonira shows such honesty and empathy, I think it deserves respect. Our governments do much in our name that we disagree with, and all we usually do is get more angry.

• Citizen
      December 20, 2009, 2:08 pm

Is this less disgusting:
      link to freedetainees.org

• Citizen
        December 20, 2009, 2:13 pm

And how’s this for an Israeli policy for peaceful dissent?
        link to networkedblogs.com

• yonira
        December 20, 2009, 2:18 pm

yeah, it’s less disgusting than what happened to Mohammed.

• Chaos4700
        December 20, 2009, 2:25 pm

Why, exactly? What makes it more palatable to you, precisely, yonira?

• aparisian
        December 20, 2009, 3:31 pm

what about this yonira link to youtube.com

demolishing houses of unarmed civilians by Nazi like soldiers?

• aparisian
        December 20, 2009, 3:40 pm

the long version link to youtube.com
        huh Yonira what do you think about this?

• yonira
        December 20, 2009, 7:18 pm

I find this less disgusting than the story posted above.

• aparisian
        December 20, 2009, 7:46 pm

i wish you will get your home demolished and your children homeless, you are so fucking blinded by your Nazisrael ideology. Shame on you!

• yonira
        December 20, 2009, 8:04 pm

haha, ok buddy.

• Chaos4700
        December 20, 2009, 10:13 pm

I’m guessing Yonira’s a dual citizen. That means he always has another teat he can go suckle of one dries up.

• Shingo
        December 20, 2009, 10:18 pm

Dual citizen or not, he’s far more honest than Witty.

• Chaos4700
        December 20, 2009, 10:22 pm

Okay, but that’s like saying getting bitten by a rattlesnake is far less lethal than being a jetliner that smacks into the side of a mountain.

• yonira
        December 20, 2009, 10:39 pm

Chaos, we’ve been over this before. See #26:

link to mondoweiss.net

That being said, as a Jew I could immigrate to Israel with little trouble. It’s something I will not consider until the occupation has ended though.

I wonder what my chances of immigration would be in a one-state solution?

• Chaos4700
        December 20, 2009, 10:55 pm

They would be honest, instead of privileged like they are now. Boo hoo, so you wouldn’t get to brandish your religiosity like it was some VIP gold card anymore. Cry me a river, yonira.

• yonira
        December 20, 2009, 11:09 pm

It was an honest question, I wasn’t brandishing anything. That is just one of the thousands of unanswered questions I have concerning the one-state solution. If you are such a proponent of it, what do you think the answer is? or should be? or are you still in the school of thought that all Jews will just up and leave?

• Chaos4700
        December 20, 2009, 11:11 pm

Quote me the post where I say “all Jews will just up and leave,” would you? You did such a good job delving back into prior posts before I’m sure you won’t have a problem finding my exact words.

9. Shingo
    December 20, 2009, 11:00 pm

“I wonder what my chances of immigration would be in a one-state solution? ”

Probably much better than the chances of Palestinians wanting to return.

10. jan_gdyn
    January 3, 2010, 12:48 pm

I know someone with a similar problem. She is Palestinian from Jerusalem, living now in Amman. Her husband, who is now Jordanian, was born in Gaza and so has a record of a Gaza-ID-type-person. So he can never accompany her to visit her/his family in the West Bank or East Jerusalem. Not an atom of a possibility.

Not only that, but my sis deliberately came to Jerusalem n two occasions to give birth her two children, yet the Israelis refused to grant them ID’s. So now when they are over a certain age they have to apply for visas to visit their mom’s homeland.