Cindy Corrie reaches out to Middle Easterners who have lost family members to violence

AP story quotes the amazing parents of Rachel Corrie, outside the Haifa trial:

Cindy: "It left an enormous void in our lives that can never be replaced. And I know that many many people in this part of the world have similar voids in their lives."

Craig: "The truth will not wound Israel, the truth is a start in making us heal."

Posted in Gaza, Israel/Palestine

{ 65 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Chaos4700 says:

I wish I could be that serene, in the face of such intense pain and loss. Hell, I’m not even serene in my fairly remote vantage point.

The Corries are amazing people. And it is to the US’ shame and ultimately our regret that, as a nation, we’ve turned our backs on people like them, and the values that they stand for.

• David Samel says:

I completely agree. I think the Corries present an interesting contrast to Cindy Sheehan. The Corries were always actively engaged, and Rachel inherited their extraordinary decency and empathy; that’s why she was there. Sheehan, I think, was a rather ordinary person until tragedy struck, and she responded by digging deep and finding inner strength, perserverence and piercing intelligence. I have the greatest respect for all three. They have honored their children in the most meaningful way imaginable.

• David,

Your comment and, of course, Cindy Corrie’s moving statement, reminded me of Bereaved Parents for Peace and particularly Nurit Peled Elhanan and Yitzhak Frankenthal. Amazing parents and human beings.

• Cheryl says:

I believe but am not 100% suree that Cindy and Craig C. were the first Americans
          to join Bereaved Parents for Peace. Craig C. often sites his friends from this group.

• MRW says:

Dont forget, David Samel, that the wrath of god came down on Cindy Sheehan in the month before she demonstrated in front of Bush’s ranch the first time because she blamed the Iraq War on Israel. She said on a radio show at the height of her fame that we went to war for Israel’s security, not the US. The moment that happened — I dont have a link to that interview — she was a marked woman and everything she stood for, and that she was talking about, became the source of ridicule, including her ranch protest. I think, but dont hold me to it, that Politico followed the story — I’m relying on visual memory, the site looked like Politico’s — among a few others.

• Cheryl says:

And now Joe Biden is telling Bibi that it is getting dangerous. That Israel is endangering American troops.
          From Phil’s post of Laura Rozen:

People who heard what Biden said [to Netanyahu behind closed doors] were stunned. “This is starting to get dangerous for us,” Biden castigated his interlocutors. “What you’re doing here undermines the security of our troops who are fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. That endangers us and it endangers regional peace.”

• Sumud says:

A decade late Joe, at least.

• Chu says:

I watched their hour interview on Democracy Now. They are worth fighting for and Congress should help with this case. It’s embarrassing and sad that there are not more voices on the Senate floor arguing for them.
      Did Baird resign due to this issue?

• Cheryl says:

Baird has said that he is retiring because he has very young children, I believe twins. However, his progression on this issue should be a sign of message of hope to all of us. He has just returned from his third trip to Gaza and now wants to return to testify under oath in an Israeli court on the Corrie case autopsy issue. Amazing. Hats off to Brian Baird.

Fact: The Corries did not want an autopsy. The IDF wanted an autospy and Cindy and Craig were told that Rachel’s body would not be released unless they agreed to one. They agreed with conditions. The IDF took their signed fax to the Israeli court and the autopsy was allowed by Israeli court order with those conditions.
        In the Conclusions to the Legal Opinion on the Final Military Police Report it states: “An autopsy of the deceased, with the approval of her family and in the presence of a U.S. consular representative,” These conlusions were shared with the State Department and with interested members of Congress.

One problem. As Sarah Simpson relates on Democracy Now, the Israeli court ordered condition was violated. There was no American official present. However, Brian Baird and the Corries were not apprised of this fact for several years after the fact.

As Rachel’s aunt, you can see I follow this case very closely.

• MRW says:

As Rachel’s aunt, you can see I follow this case very closely.

WOW.

• MRW says:

Cheryl, are you Cindy sister? Or Craig’s?

• Cheryl says:

One of Cindy’s younger sisters, all of whom follow this case and this issue with passion.

• Taxi says:

Rachel is my angel. My humanitarian role-model. Her intelligence and courage, the tenderness of her age, her sweetness and her stellar pursuit of selfless justice, all this moves me so. I wish I could be so pure of heart like Rachel.

Cheryl, your family is now part of Palestinian history. What an honor and simultaneous sorrowful burden this must be for you all. But rest assured, many many people have your backs and fronts and sideways and will not rest till justice is served in the name of Rachel and all humanitarian workers in war-zones.

You people are beautiful Americans.

• MRW says:

Cheryl,

“all of whom follow this case and this issue with passion”

If it were me in your position, I would add “and not without a color of rage.” The rage because someone like Natalie Holloway (sp?) garnered 24/7 press for months and months, while what happened to Rachel, clearly documented, was taken out with the garbage. And for what? Political noblesse oblige, such as it’s practiced here in the US. The Chinese have an expression about fast wealth, which I’ve forgot. But the gist is that fast wealth goes quickly. If you want lasting wealth, make it slowly. The story of Rachel appears to be of the latter speed, and maybe therein lies the ultimate power of her story.

• Chu says:

Thanks Cheryl, Do you know the name of the Bulldozer driver?

• Chaos4700 says:

Chu… at the risk of sounding out of character, I’m not sure we need to put that out on the internet. I have no sympathy for cold-blooded murderers but I do also recognize, on a rational level, that they have rights too.

And the temptation to do something…. tactless… with having access to that name is pretty strong. For me, yes, I willingly concede, and I’m sure for other people as well.

• aparisian says:

I went to see the movie ‘My name is Rachel’ last year, and that was a great lesson for me. These great people are my heros, they are the good side of human beings. You know during the occupation of Paris by Nazis, the majority of the french people submitted to the system, 20% used to read the resistance papers, and 10% of them used to support the resistance. Today this 10% is the French honour, it might take time, and more blood but justice will be served and only Rachel and people like her will be honoured in the history books. I would like also to remember the Palestinians were also killed in vain, because they tried to protect their livelihood, and unfortunately nobody is there to sue Israel for them. May they rest all in peace, and i m sure they are somewhere in peace proud of themselves.

• Chu says:

Chaos,
          Just curious. I am not gonna send the hit squad to Haifa or anything like that. Craig Corrie in the interview said that the driver may have to testify in the trial, and he would perhaps like to speak with him, to move beyond.

• Cheryl says:

Craig Corrie and Sarah Corrie have voiced the sentiment that they would like to meet this young man. That they view this as a first step toward healing. On Democracy Now, Craig states that he has no desire to take this man from his children, if he has children, in a different way than Rachel was taken from them. He means what he says. Sarah states that she wants this to stop. For Israelis, for Palestinians, for Internationals.
          But, within that puzzle one piece is also. justice and truth.
          Fact: the second person in the dozer had as his responsiblility observing the land for obstacles and directing the driver. He sat higher than the driver so had increased sight. The company commander, along withfour other soldiers in the APC had the responsibility to position themselves for observation. There were a lot of eyes with documented responsibiliy that
          were averted that day.
          And finally, five minutes before she was killed there was a change in orders that occurred. That change came from off the demolition area i.e. from up the chain of command. This was documented from the reading of the Final Military Report by U. S. government official Richard LeBaron. The U.S. government is well aware of the change in orders that day. Five minutes later Rachel was dead. The LeBaron Memorandum was shared with many members of Congress.
          Coiincidentally, the Pascal video that Rachel’s sister ,Sarah, has spoken of – (her request for the full six hour color video with audio) -the extremely short sketchy version provided to the state department -does show the camera panning away during the five minutes prior to Rachel’s death.

• Chu says:

Craig’s answer shows his empathy and I was moved by the families interview with Amy Goodman.
          I assume the video feed was mounted on a tower or pole. Was the camera panning away to scan the landscape mechanically, or it was moved by human control to enable the crime to occur?

• Danaa says:

aparisian, very well said. There’s always been only a minority of people who can sustain humanist conviction and display the courage of their belief when under occupation. France and Holland are cases in point. For every Mie who hid a jewish family there was one ready to betray their neighbours and 10 others who didn’t care or did but didn’t dare. True spiritual commitment to justice is never abundant, and as we all know, courage is in even shorter supply. Rachel Currie had the full measure of both courage and conviction as few have. Her parents and sister have clearly been transformed by the rare combination of qualities in their own daughter, which is a process that’s been awesome to observe – taking place over the course of years right in front of us.

I keep thinking of the movie “The Lives of others” which also details a transformation of ordinary into a dawning conviction, and ultimately into action, which carried the protagonist into heroic dimension.

And since you mentioned partisans, it is interesting to me to see how instinctively do zionists recoil from any attempt to draw analogies between the partisans and resistance groups like Hezbollah. Even the word “resistance” produces an instant negative reaction. This may have something to do with the below-the-surface reasons (we all know the above-the-surface ones) why the israelis were so opposed to shedding light on the rachel and similar cases. In the end, it’s all about the symbolism of it all. And israelis – and zionists the world around – know all about the power of universal symbols. They have Anne Frank, after all to teach them.

• Danaa says:

Another day, another typo. Corrie, not Currie, of course (or a Freudian slip, too, but that’s another story).

• Mooser says:

The Bulldozer driver, and his travails, has been covered in the media.
          He was apparently an emotionally or mentally troubled man who was indoctrinated and inveighled by the Israelis into the work.

• Chu says:

Danaa, True spiritual commitment is something the Jewish State lacks. They are the oppressors and have lost their way in the world. Their spirit is subverted by their greed.

• Cheryl says:

The Pascal camera must be human controlled so at the point that her injury is reported the camera is shown making a fast pan back.

• Chaos4700 says:

Well that’s awful convenient, isn’t it? How many hours of footage are available from that camera on that day? Kind of would be relevant to run some statistical math on it to project the likelihood that it would exclude Rachel Corrie’s death so conveniently.

• Cheryl says:

This area was under observation by camera 24 hours/day.
          We know that the investigator had access to six hours of tape. The U.S. State Department was given approximately eight minutes. As Sarah states, very poor quality and missing audio.

• Cheryl says:

Let me correct myself on the video information:
          “There are pieces of evidence we have never been given,” Simpson said. For instance, out of about six hours of video, in color, with complete audio, the family received “14 minutes of tape, a grainy black copy, with incomplete audio.”
          link to haaretz.com

• jimby says:

” True spiritual commitment is something the Jewish State lacks.” CHU

I agree but the US is at least as ugly.

2. Avi says:

You know, I have just realized that the term used by everyone, myself included, is a racist term. That term is “Middle East”.

The term has its origins in the British empire that saw it fit to divide the world and name regions based on their proximity to the motherland, England.

Thus, we have the Near East, the Middle East and the Far East. But the world, doesn’t revolve around England, especially not a former imperial power, no more than Columbus “discovered” America. He didn’t “discover” it, it wasn’t lost. The Native Americans living on this continent certainly did not breath a sigh of relief when they saw Columbus’s ships at their shores: “Oh goody, we have been discovered”.

• RoHa says:

Actually, the bit we are calling “the Middle East” was originally called “the Near East”. The Middle East was the Indian sub-continent and immediately adjacent areas.

But why is the term racist? Anglo-centric, certainly, but not really worse than the Chinese calling their country “the Middle Kingdom”, or the American habit of equating “Western” with American, or using “Western Hemisphere” to mean only the American continents.

And Colombus discovered the geographic relationship between Europe and the Greater Antilles. Neither the Americans nor the Europeans knew of it before his voyages.

• Shmuel says:

Then there’s this Australian view of the world, with which I’m sure RoHa is familiar.

• RoHa says:

Japanese maps look very familiar to me, since they also put Australia on the midline, which is where it aought to be. I found British maps a bit odd, because they tended to cut the Pacific. But when I first saw an American map that cut the Eurasian continent in half I knew I was dealing with crazy people.

• MRW says:

The map I like is the one that is north/south, from Antarctica to the North Pole back to Antarctica. We are all one connected land around the world except for Australia, which is like an island that broke off.

• syvanen says:

Our words ‘East’ and ‘West’ derive from the Arkaddian. At that time this language was spoken by the only civilization beyond Asia and India, somewhere in what is the upper Euphradis River in Iraq and Western Turkey today. Given that the Europeans accepted these linquistic precedents, it is only natural that we would have to divide the center of civilization into a bunch of complex terms — near East, middle East, far East, whatever.

• MRW says:

Well, Avi, Columbus never discovered America. He never set foot on it. His ships came nowhere near the US. It was Juan (?) Ponce de Leon who first set foot in America, in Florida. It became St Augustine, but it was claimed for Spain, as was 7/8 of America. That was in 1514. What is now Canada already had explorers, and the oldest established city in North America, St John’s, Newfoundland.

The US, until 1803, was just a strip mall on this land along the eastern seaboard, from Maine to the top of Florida. Spain was the imperial power here. Spain agreed to help the fledgling American colonies, in order to defeat the British hegemony. So it agreed to give what became the Louisiana Purchase back to France (which it got from France in the 1750s) so that France could sell it to Jefferson for $15 million. Spain wanted to piss off the Brits. France (Napoleon) wanted money to fight the Brits. And the Louisiana Purchase land wasn’t anything France wanted or needed strategically. It was only planning on using it as an agricultural breadbasket. Everybody was happy.

Why dont Americans know this history? Poets and novelists wrote our history, like Hawthorne and Wadsworth. So Latinos are actually the Palestinians of America.
      Tony Horwitz wrote a great op-ed four years ago in the NYT about part of this, but no one read it because it was behind a firewall at the time.
      “Immigration — and the Curse of the Black Legend”
      link to nytimes.com

3. Sumud says:

Democracy Now devoted their entire show to an interview with the Corrie family a few days ago, well worth a look (or listen):

link to bit.ly

I hope they do better in Israel than Biden, they certainly seem to have more courage and dignity.

• Citizen says:

I realize you re right, As Chais says above, the Corrie family is really an American treasure. They are top-notch humans. Biden seems much less well made, of much less quality. Many of our leaders, elected, appointed, and in the MSMl, seem much more like Biden than like the Corrie family.

• Sumud says:

Citizen I sure didn’t mean to single Biden out, and I agree the kow-towing (sp?) to Israel is endemic. It’s utterly pathetic! It’s like some co-dependant relationship of the sort Dr Phil would sort out (successfully) with an intervention – which is not to accord either party victim status.

• Citizen says:

I know you didn’t, Sumud. Everytime I watch Beiden in action he seems to be
          struggling with some inner truths he knows versus also knowing which side his bread is buttered on. Often, then, out comes a sputtering gaffe.

• Chu says:

When will congressional members form a group to protest support of Israel, and say that the time has come to break the bond from our ally who spits in our face? All that is needed is about 10 members to break the stranglehold of Congress. The number will grow from their.

4. aparisian says:

Where is the dignity of the citizens of this world when it comes to Israel? Free the world! Justice now!!!!!

5. Citizen says:

Has anyone seen the Corrie Family civil suit in the US mainstream news? I have not. Here’s an article revealing the other side of the pincer movement on the search for
    truth–close Obama adviser recommends cognitive infiltration of conspirarcy blogs on the internet:
    link to theragblog.blogspot.com
    Can you say troll, or generic hasbara minions?

• Citizen says:

The main side of the pincer movement giving you “all the news good for youse”–
      the increasingly concentrated ownership of the news:
      link to globalissues.org
      The article points out that the number one source of news for Americans is TV news; followed by the internet; and then print news.

• Cheryl says:

There was a small piece in the Seattle Times and a relatively bad piece in the Washington Post. The Post article was a piece by Allyn Fisher, a Reuter’s correspondent in Jerusalem. She got the date of Rachel’s death wrong and the number of activists testifying wrong. She noted Steven Plaut’s screed on Cindy and Craig Corrie being a two person anti-Israel swat team. I believe she was using this in her “color piece” to support her argument that the Israeli public is behind the military on this suit.
      Reuters assured me that it had sent out a correction on the basic facts but as of yesterday the Washington Post stated that they had not received any corrections.
      They supported the slant of the piece.
      Note that a Reuter’s cameraman, Fadel Shana, was murdered by the IDF in the Gaza Strip in 2008 and Editor-in Chief David Schlesinger voiced grave concerns with the Israeli “investigation”. Fadel was 23 years old as was Rachel.

Interesting to me that the Washington Post picked up the piece. When one walks into Congressional offices some have the Post available for reading.

• Sumud says:

On Fadel Shana’s death: Al Jazeera documentary here on journalists under fire in conflict zones:

link to youtube.com

The 3dd & 4th parts are about Gaza, Fadel Shana was killed during the making of the documentary, by a flechette (dart) shell. Israel again used flechettes during Gaza invasion a year ago, really one of the ugliest weapons you could imagine.

• Cheryl says:

Yes, but where is Reuters now? As I told one of their editors, I doubt that Fadel’s family has forgotten. How is that in reporting on the Corrie case, they get the facts wrong and then slant the story toward the Steven Plauts of the world. This is less than two years after their Chief-of-Staff was expressing disappointment with the Israeli investigation. The same concern Cindy and Craig and family have expressed for seven years. They have repeatedly requested a U.S. led investigation because Israel has a long history of investigations like the initial Tom Hurndall, the James Miller, the Shaden Abu-Hijleh, the Fadel Shana and many many more. Not transparent, not credible, not thorough.
          Reuters thoroughly disappointed me.

6. Citizen says:

Report on day one of the Corrie trial:
    link to theprogressivemind.info

7. Cheryl says:

From http://www.rachelcorriefoundation.org: (trial synopsis)
    “The courtroom was filled with local and international reporters, human rights observers and three representatives from the U.S. Embassy, including Consul General Andrew Parker. Last night, the Corrie family met with Parker and senior members of Vice President Joseph Biden’s staff in Jerusalem. Antony Blinken, the Deputy Assistant to the President and National Security Advisor to the Vice President, reconfirmed the long-standing U.S. Government position that there has not been a thorough, credible, and transparent investigation into Rachel’s case. They reiterated the U.S.Government’s endorsement of pursuing justice for Rachel through the Israeli court system. Embassy staff will continue to attend the trial. ”

Thank you, President Obama and Vice President Biden.

8. Cheryl says:

Ha’aretz Corrie’s sister to Haaretz: US encouraged family to sue Israel‎

• Chu says:

Cheryl, It was Larry Wilkerson who told them to sue. Years later he was in the documentary “The Israel Lobby”.

• Cheryl says:

Yes. Our family has great respect for Lawrence Wilkerson. I always stop and listen intently when I see him interviewed on MSM. I noted recently that he pinpointed David Addington from Cheney’s office as being crucial to the drive to manipulate facts and drive us to Iraq.

9. Taxi says:

Last week I read Rachel’s last few emails to her family:
    link to desertpeace.wordpress.com

All I can say is, my dear Corries, I love you.

• Cheryl says:

Thanks, Taxi. I went back and read the emails, also. I sometimes forget how compelling they are. Rachel said:
      “And then the bulldozers come and take out people’s vegetable farms and gardens. What is left for people? Tell me if you can think of anything. I can’t. ”

The IDF said: ” Clearing activity at this location is legal and legitimate entailing slight, if any damage to Palestinian property, since there is no orderly agricultural cultivation in the vicinity of the Route. ” (Conclusion to Legal Opinion on Final Military Police Report on the Death of Rachel Corrie)

Yup.

• Chu says:

Thanks for this link. Her emails provide insight into the systematic genocide of Palestinians. This blockade in Gaza needs to end. I don’t know how Congress lives with themselves.
      “Sixty thousand workers from Rafah worked in Israel two years ago. Now only 600 can go to Israel for jobs. Of these 600, many have moved, because the three checkpoints between here and Ashkelon (the closest city in Israel) make what used to be a 40-minute drive, now a 12-hour or impassible journey. In addition, what Rafah identified in 1999 as sources of economic growth are all completely destroyed”

• Cheryl says:

MRW and Chu, If there is any group I feel anger and frustration toward it is the U.S. Congress. These people are supposed to be the thinkers and diplomats. I am convinced that many, many of them know exactly what is happening and has been happening to the Palestinian people for a long time,while the American people did not. But as many have noted, change is in the air. Just like the soldiers in the APC, Congress is guilty of averting their eyes. Looking down at their feet. We have a few wonderful, clear-thinking congressional representatives who know that this does not smell right. Rachel or Occupation.
        But some of the big names:
        Diane Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, John Kerry, Tom Harken, Dick Lugar
        etc. They are all smart people. Ask any one of them if they have ever walked across the cattle chute type border crossing into Rafah and I suspect their face will get bright red and anger will well up. They prefer that question to not be asked.
        I don’t know how Congress lives with themselves either and I intrepret Vice President Biden’s statement yesterday to extend farther than the American Military. I interpret it to reflect that this is also dangerous for the American Congress. At some future date. the American public is going to wake up and realize that this bulldozer was okayed for purchase by the U.S. Congress with oversight to all the organizations that are involved. And, it is not just bulldozers that they are sending…. Every single Senator that I mentioned has been made aware that a U.S. funded bulldozer committed a human rights violation. They can avert their eyes as they did in the banking scam or they can stand up and do the right thing. I believe that Vice President Biden understands this.

10. Cheryl says:

And, for those interested in facts: (from Rachel’s sister, Sarah Corrie Simpson)

link to haaretz.com

• Citizen says:

A few more tidbits from the mouth of Rachel’s sister:

“My father served in the military in Vietnam and was responsible for bulldozer operations,” Simpson added. “He said there is no way that what happened to Rachel would have happened on his watch.”

She rejects the IDF’s claim that the area was an active combat zone. The witnesses claim no shots were being fired, she said, so the army could have stopped the operation and removed the demonstrators. But in any case, she added, international law requires soldiers to try to protect civilians even in a war zone.

What brought Rachel, a girl from a good family in Washington state, to the town of Rafah, on the Gaza-Egypt border?

According to Simpson, the September 11, 2001 terror attacks pushed Rachel into political activism. She wanted “to find out what was going on in the world, especially in the Middle East.” She studied Arabic and began meeting with peace activists, including former Israeli soldiers. She wanted to understand America’s role in the Middle East. (I guess that was her sin, being a responsible American citizen and looking beyond the US MSM veil.)

Rachel was a pacifist and a pluralist, Simpson added, her views informed by growing up in a Christian family with Jewish, Sikh, Hindu and Muslim in-laws.
      American Diversity anyone?

11. Cheryl says:

In addition, Rachel had roots in Iowa farm country. She wrote of her grandmother and uncle. Both farmers, both lovers of the land: (from the emails of Rachel Corrie)

“If any of us had our lives and welfare completely strangled, lived with children in a shrinking place where we knew, because of previous experience, that soldiers and tanks and bulldozers could come for us at any moment and destroy all the greenhouses that we had been cultivating for however long, and did this while some of us were beaten and held captive with 149 other people for several hours – do you think we might try to use somewhat violent means to protect whatever fragments remained? I think about this especially when I see orchards and greenhouses and fruit trees destroyed – just years of care and cultivation. I think about you and how long it takes to make things grow and what a labour of love it is. I really think, in a similar situation, most people would defend themselves as best they could. I think Uncle Craig would. I think probably Grandma would. I think I would.

You asked me about non-violent resistance.”

(Again, thanks to Taxi for the link to Rachel’s writings.)

• Citizen says:

And thank you too, Cheryl–really a poignant piece by Rachel. Show how she struggled to imagine and empathize, and how her thoughts raced towards truth, reality, and the resultant courage of her growing convictions. I doubt she’d be wowed by that recent eye-candy movie with the blue beings fighting predatory capitalism. She at her tender age was way ahead of General Smedley at the same age. Wouldn’t it be a treat to watch Paul Newman in Exodus with her? And the Hollywood movie about Anne Frank? Imagine her incensed comments…

12. Chu says:

It would be a great miracle if the CCTV system employed in England, could be set up in Palestinian territories. If I were Carlos Slim, that would be a humanitarian project I wold definitely take on.
    Think about it, it’s would be the eyes of the conflict – although nighttime raids would likely occur more and snipers would have target practice all day on cameras.

13. Mooser says:

This is an awful thing to note, but I think it’s relevant. This is the second thread on Mondoweiss in the past week on the Rachel Corrie killing. They are the first threads I have ever seen on the Corrie case which were not filled with Zionist-supporters slinging the worst kind of insults at Rachel and her family and supporters! ( Kaynahorah, of course). Amazing! Gratifying, but amazing. I’m glad that finally came to an end.

14. Mooser says:

I don’t mind saying I find myself reading this thread over and over from top to bottom. A great thread, and a credit to all.
    Thanks, Cheryl.

15. Sunyata says:

Everyone with justice in their hearts loves Rachel and those like her. That is all that needs to be said, I think.

Namaste.