Israeli expo in NYC markets penthouses in settlements

At the Jewish Agency’s 2010 Aliyah Expo in New York last week, people asked one another, “When is your flight?”–no if’s about it. Many planned to move to a country that seems increasingly intent on ostracizing itself from the international community. And yet, during the four hours I spent at the Aliyah Expo, I heard just a single concern. “My husband would love to have a goat,” one woman with a thick New York accent told a Jewish Agency aliyah specialist, lamenting, “but you have to live on a moshav for a goat!” It’s like moving to Arizona in the wake of the anti-immigrant bill SB1070 and worrying about finding a house with a big enough swimming pool–oblivious to those who have died of thirst while crossing in the desert.

***

“Jobs are waiting for you in Israel,” a fresh-faced woman from the Jewish Agency promised us during the Aliyah Expo’s “Young Professionals Wine and Cheese Reception.” Both the young and the old exchanged business cards and ate cheese that had melted from the heat of the packed room. The minglers were a mixed crowd: from orthodox black hats and t-shirts for the men, to headscarves and tank tops for the women–and even a pair of flip flops with an Israeli flag on the strap.

Another Jewish Agency employee approached the front of the room and gravely addressed the assembly. “I’m going to talk quickly about the crisis that just occurred,” he began. He wasn’t talking about the Mavi Marmara. Rather: the economic crash of 2008. As English speakers, he assured us, we already have a leg up on the job market; acclimation is the real issue. For best results, sell all of your possessions, grab your free one-way ticket to Israel, and throw yourself into Hebrew lessons upon arrival. “Your aliyah will be as successful as the amount of effort you put into it,” he advised. Such is the nature of Jewish privilege that one gets to experience it as labor.

Here is a short summary of my (already abridged) “Summary of Aliyah Benefits for Olim [immigrants]” sheet: As a single person moving to Israel, my aliyah payment would be about $4,000 (families get about $14,000), and I’d receive the first installment upon arrival at Ben Gurion airport—in cash; free health care for a year; five months of free Hebrew classes; free tuition for a BA and/or masters degree; rent subsidy for five years (about $60/mo for a single, $105/mo for families); job counseling; a 70-90% reduced property tax; low mortgage rates; and more.

***

Down the hall, another session was starting: “Aliyah First Steps.” In a soothing voice, the presenter promised to tell us everything we needed to know “so that it’s not so scary” (the antecedent being the logistical hassle of claiming the myriad perks offered to Jewish immigrants to Israel). Afterward, Andrew and Alana, two recent college graduates, got to chatting and discovered they’re both on the same July 6th Nefesh B’Nefesh flight bound for Ulpan Etzion, an all-expenses-paid, live-in Hebrew intensive program in the East Jerusalem settlement of East Talpiot. Andrew, an Upper East Sider, said he’s making aliyah because he wants to learn Hebrew, join the IDF, and get a free masters degree. Between the army and higher ed, Andrew’s next four years are accounted for. “I have more job security than any of my friends,” he said with a laugh. "Why join the IDF instead of the American army?" I asked. Andrew gave me a baffled look. “I don’t want to be in, like, Grenada,” he scoffed, adding, “If I’m going to die for my country, I want it to be in someplace where I have a connection.” A Teaneck, New Jersey native, Alana also wanted to serve her adopted country: “I want to be prime minister of Israel!” she gushed.

As a 24-year-old, I know how to write a college paper and have (hopefully) learned critical thinking skills, and so I am too old to wield a gun in the IDF. For women making aliyah, army service is required for those 18-21; for men, it’s 18-23. Newcomers have a special unit in the IDF: Garin Tzabar. Before shipping out, the Americans get prepped by Israel Scouts, a New York-based non-profit. Young immigrants can also join their Israeli peers for a pre-army year at a number of leadership academies called Mechinot; some, like Hemdat Yehuda, list their addresses as mobile trailers in West Bank settlements: outpost leaders.

***

The Jewish Agency says settlements are great if you’re making aliyah with kids. "Try to visit within a year of your aliyah with your children,” the website reads. “Small communities with a high percentage of olim, such as settlements in the Galilee, or Judea and Samaria, often offer more support than major cities.” That’s an understatement. At the Aliyah Expo, I learned of the Go North program from Nefesh B’Nefesh, the Jewish Agency’s North American partner. Go North families get $25,000 and a vehicle subsidy of up to $16,000 (with extra employment help, a “local ‘buddy’ family,” and more). And for the past five years, Nefesh B’Nefesh and the Jewish Agency have offered “Community Aliyah,” which offers extra rent subsidies, job counseling, social events, and more to families that move to settlements like Gush Etzion, Ariel, and Ma’aleh Adumim. Whether it’s the Galilee or the West Bank, the Jewish Agency is committed to “Judaization” on both sides of the green line: separation and containment of Palestinians while expropriating their land.

***

About 3,800 North Americans made aliyah in 2009 (of a total 16,244), and about 4,000 North Americans are expected in 2010. Yedioth Ahronoth reports that 1,000 people attended the Aliyah Expo last week.

Strange how one sees the erasure of the Green Line all the way from New York. Its absence was in the real estate room, where agents and mostly orthodox families (or so it seemed to me) perused floor plans for homes in new developments in Jerusalem "neighborhoods." Shmuel Aron of Brooklyn Realty was peddling new units in Katamon and Har Homa, each with identical luxury apartments in identical high rises but only one within pre-1967 Israel. This brought to mind a lunch in February at Mazin Qumsiyeh’s home in Beit Sahour, just outside of Bethlehem. He turned to the window and gazed long and hard at the glittering white towers rising out of what used to be the Palestinian-owned Abu Ghneim Mountain: now the settlement of Har Homa. “Look, it’s creeping down on us," he said sadly. “Every morning to have to see that.”

Holyland Properties of Brookyn wanted to sell me a high rise apartment in a new development in East Jerusalem’s Eshkol Heights. Tivuch Shelly Levine was in town from Israel to sell units in Modi’in (within the pre-1967 borders, barely, so as to grow "naturally" into the West Bank) starting at $366,000, and units in the settlement of Maale Adumim (where she’s based) starting at $217,000. The Israeli construction company Chazon and Galili was there peddling units in a new neighborhood of Beit Shemesh, with red tile roofs as if over the Green Line yet within the 1967 borders; it takes some committed googling to tell a settlement from a suburb. Chazon and Galili first got into the business by building the settlement of Har Nof on top of the Deir Yassin massacre site.

Finally, with the Aliyah Expo drawing to a close and the crowds clearing out, I stopped by Kedumim 3000, the deeply ideological settlement construction giant whose bulldozers break ground all over the West Bank, including Kiryat Arba, the hothouse for settler violence on the edge of Hebron. The Kedumim 3000 backdrop advertised "penthouses and apartments with a view of the Temple Mount" in the Maale Hazeitim "Neighborhood in [East] Jerusalem.” A gold dome could be seen through the window in the artist’s rendering of a sleek, modern living room. A blackhat family with a baby stroller was deep in conversation with the Kedumim proprietors, a mess of floor plans spread out in front of them. "Do you mind if I take a pamphlet?" I asked out of courtesy as I lifted one from the tall stack. "No!" the man snapped. "I haven’t enough." Apparently, a screening process was at work.

As I left, I passed by the Jewish Agency’s welcome table, with its now-empty bowl of specially made fortune cookies. Shouldering a swag bag full of fliers and informational cards–possibilities for a future life I will not realize–I headed for the bathroom. There I found a discarded fortune cookie fortune. It read, “Israel is for tough cookies.”

1. Gellian
    June 23, 2010, 5:40 pm

Wow. What’s to say? That is f*cked up….

2. MRW
    June 23, 2010, 5:46 pm

American taxpayers pay for this.

This is what has to get out.

• MRW
      June 23, 2010, 5:49 pm

As you must all recognize, I didn’t complete the html after the words and more.

That paragraph has to be sent around. This is what we’re paying for when our taxpayers are going without. When our congressmen are signing this deal over for foreigners, or Americans with expat ambitions. This is outsourcing at its worse; no product is coming back here to benefit us.

This is just plain wrong.

• Keith
      June 23, 2010, 6:41 pm

MRW- Another thing which needs to be emphasized is the extent to which Jews making Aliyah are being BRIBED to do so. Take away the subsidies and Israel would implode.

• hayate
      June 23, 2010, 9:00 pm

“American taxpayers pay for this.”

In one way or another they do. But israel has been branching out. Last year they consolidated their various European “aipacs” under one centralised umbrella group. So if american fails to pay the “protection racket”, Europe will (or rather zionism, inc’s European quislings will over the wishes of the European people). They’ve been trying to move their gangsters into other continents, as well, to mixed results so far.

• MarkF
        June 24, 2010, 9:44 am

Well, you have to diversify. The U.S. is in pretty bad financial shape. They need a hedge.

June 24, 2010, 9:52 am

They’ve been courting China too.

Which is all totally laughable, because nobody else on this planet is going to be a slave to Israeli policy the way the United States is.

Incidentally, the population of Europe is actually getting furious with Israel, in general. Recall that most of the ships in that flotilla were European ships. And Israel has even gone so far as to snub German foreign ministry officials — Germany being Israel’s closest European ally, arguably.

I also have it on good authority that Germany is in for a new round of elections and a major political shift. Not related to Israel, mind you, but with the potential to be a game changer in that realm.

3. lareineblanche
    June 23, 2010, 5:48 pm

Very good propaganda. I like the “Irish” music background, giving it an “ethnic” flavor.

• Pamela Olson
      June 23, 2010, 8:03 pm

I enjoyed the vacant-looking Stepford Jews inside the apartments. Honestly couldn’t tell whether they were real or CGI.

Nauseating. And of course, after people “invest” in this crime against everything good and holy, people will rail that “peace” will violate the rights of the property owners. People need to be shown how sick this is.

4. lareineblanche
    June 23, 2010, 5:54 pm

This is just horrible, sorry.
    “…where property values increase from year to year”

5. Les
    June 23, 2010, 6:24 pm

It offers a chance for to join one of the IDF’s Judas Brigades for American citizens who would not volunteer for the US military. This aliyah crowd makes Jack Abramoff look patriotic. Consider them deportable and, until they leave, Israeli agents doing what they can to commit treason to (once) fellow Americans.

June 23, 2010, 6:56 pm

What do you mean when you refer to “Judas Brigades” I’m not clear.

I think you may mean the Judas that betrayed Jesus? As in Jews killed Christ and now are liable for eternity.

I may be wrong so please do clarify.

• Pamela Olson
        June 23, 2010, 8:06 pm

Get off it, mN. Judas is a code word like Benedict Arnold for traitor. Clean and simple. Jesus was a Jew, too, nitwit. You probably see anti-Semitism in your toothbrush in the morning. But keep trying to change the subject — it just shows how weak (or nonexistent) your arguments are.

June 23, 2010, 8:56 pm

Really?

June 23, 2010, 9:52 pm

“Sounds more like an ancient Christian Blood Libel against Jews. Sort of like how passion plays aroused the masses to commit pogroms.”

Sort of like how Israel massacred  1,400 women and children in Gaza the your fellow Ziofascists popped champagne bottles on the hills overlooking Gaza as they watched the carnage.

“In any case instead of arguing why don’t you listen to someone like me, even if you consider me an enemy you may learn from me.”

Yes we learn much from you, like how mentally deranged Zionism makes people.

“Using classical Christian Anti-Jewish stereotypes, mute your message and harm the chances of bridging gaps between us. It’s also morally wrong and hurtful :)”

The Zionist idea of bridging gaps means getting everything they want, when they want it, on their own terms and being thanked for their generosity of spirit. Zionists have had 60 years to become civilized and behave like the human race, but all they’ve done during that time into mass murderers.

Don’t expect anyone to be concerned about your feelings when you are butchering children.

• potsherd
        June 24, 2010, 8:06 am

Listening to Alvy Singer would yield the same results and be more entertaining.

• Psychopathic god
        June 24, 2010, 8:57 am

hey max, Jews like you insist on telling antisemites like me why we are antisemites, instead of listening to antisemites like me tell uberjews like you why you bug the hell out of us.

so how about you get off your “hurtful” oh boo hoo blood libel soap box and behave better in the here and now. stop deluding yourself that anybody gives a crap about your hurt feelings, or is as stupid as you like to think we are. we’re on to all the faux history you spew. Sell crazy someplace else, we’re all stocked up here.

• Les
        June 24, 2010, 9:09 am

Indeed, if Jesus had not been a Jew, calling someone a Judas would make no sense.

While some Jews applaud those Americans who enlisted in the IDF’s Judas Brigade because they too agree that dropping white phosphorous on Palestinians to cremate them or blasting out Emily Henochowicz is good for Judaism, I would argue that such acts betray American values. I have yet to be convinced otherwise by any argument Zionists have made to date.

• Les
        June 24, 2010, 9:17 am

For those who find history useful,

William Mandel’s use of “Judases” at a HUAC hearing in 1960,

“If you think that I am going to cooperate with this collection of Judases, of men who sit there in violation of the United States Constitution, if you think I will cooperate with you in any way, you are insane!”

link to billmandel.net

• Cliff
        June 23, 2010, 8:19 pm

Slippery slope.

Anyways, mN – even if it was an antisemitic comment, why would you expect people to care? You cheer on the dispossession of the Palestinians and support the continued colonization. At the same time, you frame everything as ‘Jew’ this and that.

[namecalling removed by blogmeister]

June 23, 2010, 10:13 pm

Cliff I am concerned by your rationalizing of anti-semitism. You would do better condemning it as it detracts from valid reasoning that you or the other commenters may have.

• Cliff
        June 23, 2010, 10:34 pm

I am not rationalizing it. I am putting myself in your shoes.

You are [...] generally someone who is indifferent to the suffering of those outside his tribe.

Thus, as a [...] sanctimonious person, do you expect others to show you any compassion or find your concern for antisemitism credible?

You continue to frame everything through an exclusively ‘Jewish’ (Zionist construct of the identity) lens.

You applaud the dispossession of the Palestinians and the continued colonization of their lands.

You show absolute inhumanity towards an entire group of people while simultaneously whining about antisemitism.

I would be an antisemite if looked upon you as a symbol of Judaism or Jewish identity. I would be a Zionist.

You are nothing more to me than another criminal. A colonist, a liar, a thief, a vandal. ‘Jewish’ is not an adjective I would use to describe you.

However, I would say you are a Jewish Supremacist. Jewish in the most superficial sense of course. Just a label. The more important part is ‘supremacist’ which can be compared to other supremacists. The commonalities between you and other thieves.

• Psychopathic god
        June 24, 2010, 9:32 am

maxNarr, nothing will change until you and others like you are not just “concerned” but scared shitless.

people don’t dislike you because you’re jewish; people hate you because you’re behaving in a hateful manner and exploiting American blood, treasure, values, and good will to do so.

stop doing it.
        now

June 23, 2010, 9:22 pm

I may be wrong so please do clarify.

That’s probably the only truly intelligent thing I’ve seen you post yet.

June 23, 2010, 10:20 pm

I have reported the comment from Les at 6:34 to the moderators, I will explain why below.

This comment also recommends deporting Jewish Americans as well as considering them hostile subversives or traitors.

The reason this comment should be removed is clear, also it should be noted that the fact that the poster does not agree that their should be a Jewish state, coupled with the fact that Jews must be deported from the United States, brings up another old issue of the “Wandering Jew” where Jews are forced out of lands and forced to wander the earth. In fact one main motivation to move to Israel is these exact sentiments.

June 23, 2010, 10:33 pm

Report all you like maximalistNarrative.

Your posts, while conveyed in moderate and polite language are vulgar, extremist and deeply offensive and I have reported you to the moderators.  You will soon be banned as you  have in the past.

“This comment brings up ancient Christian Blood libels found in “passion plays” basically calling Jews the Collective “Judas” who killed Jesus.”

That’s what the Bible says unfortunately.  Don’t let it worry you, the Bible is fiction as is the suggestion that God gave Israel to Jews.

The reason this comment should be removed is clear, also it should be noted that the fact that the poster does not agree that their should be a Jewish state, coupled with the fact that Jews must be deported from the United States, brings up another old issue of the “Wandering Jew” where Jews are forced out of lands and forced to wander the earth.”

That’s a myth. Never happened so I wouldn’tt worry abotu it either.

In any case, you’ll,l soon be banned from this forum, so you won’t be offended too much longer.

June 23, 2010, 10:40 pm

Shingo,

In fact it is you that will be banned. I have not violated the comments policy while you consistently do.

If you don’t recognize the Jewish expulsions from Britain, Spain, Rome and other places that are very clearly documented then I could give you a history lesson, though I advise against attempting to ‘fisk’ my comments if you don’t have anything substantive to back up your rhetoric with. Suffice to say it’s not academic debate you seek, you have one goal, the elimination of Israel. By any means.

June 24, 2010, 12:16 am

No maximalistNarrative,

You have been banned under your previous pseudonyms and will be banned again.

I know you’re trying very hard to behave yourself, and stick to the rules, but as you did under the names of UNIX and BDSNOW, you will eventually return to your religious fanaticism and your verbal diarrhea will flow as it did before.

If Jewish had indeed been expelled from Britain, Spain, and Rome, there wouldn’t be thriving Jewish communities in those cities.

“Suffice to say it’s not academic debate you seek, you have one goal, the elimination of Israel. By any means.”

Suffice to sway you are a pathological liar and always have been, not to mention a religious extremist. One is never going to be able to hold a factual debate with a religious nut who believes the Bible is a deed to a piece of land.

• Schwartzman
        June 24, 2010, 12:30 am

Shingo,

you are honestly trying to argue there wasn’t a Jewish expulsion from Spain? What friggin world do you live on man.

June 24, 2010, 12:36 am

Shingo’s just using the same argument you guys use. “Well, we didn’t stomp every single Palestinian baby to death when we invaded Gaza or wiped away yet another village on the West Bank, so obviously it isn’t genocide, what we’re doing.”

June 24, 2010, 12:41 am

“you are honestly trying to argue there wasn’t a Jewish expulsion from Spain?  What friggin world do you live on man.”

It wasn’t a Jewish expulsion you ass.  The Christians drove out everyone, including the Muslims, who lo and behold, gave protections and sanctuary to the Jews.

And since Hertzl, Israel is showing what gratitude means.

Of course, don’t let history get in the way of your collective victims narcissism.

June 24, 2010, 1:08 am

Again the Anti-semite Shingo seeks to minimize and deny Jewish history, this time with the Jewish expulsion from Spain.

June 24, 2010, 8:02 am

“Again the Anti-semite Shingo seeks to minimize and deny Jewish history, this time with the Jewish expulsion from Spain”

Isn’t it hillarious watching to a religiuos nutcase who things the Bible is a land deed lecturing others about Jewish history?

• potsherd
        June 24, 2010, 8:10 am

Twisting the truth and the statements of other posters is not the way to influence opinion.

Nor is using the antisemite label, which violates the rules of this site and is therefore reported as abuse.

June 24, 2010, 9:40 am

Excuse me, but if Shingo, under the comments policy can call me a fascist, I am within my rights to clarify the fact that he, and you, are anti-semites.

Also it’s illustrative to Phil, that antisemitism sometimes must be ferretted out, in fact you show yours when faced with adversity.

• AJM
        June 24, 2010, 2:59 pm

It always saddens me that you cant have a heated debate about the rights and wrongs of modern day Israel without being branded an anti- semite because you dont know the ins and outs of Jewish history. It means that the majority of young people who have been to British state schools are by definition anti- semitic if they critiscse Israel, as their education was so crap. Maybe your asking for trouble if you use common parlance historical phrases, metaphors, analogies, like Judas= traitor; or if you yourself bring up historic events, but honestly. Many Israeli’s take it as a given that the rest of the world believes in their manifest destiny or at the least respects it more than say, scientology? Many also assume that Jews should always be pitied for the horrors they have suffered, or those horrors should at least be factored in to modern events, when new generations see them getting on quite nicely, thank you very much. Another thing that cheapens the debate is resorting to ‘grassing’ people up to moderators, taking photographs of demonstrators and organised letter writing/ fake grass root campains and vilifications. Sorry in advance if I have offended any sensibilities, no doubt I’ve slipped up somewhere and will get reported.

• azythos
        June 24, 2010, 3:16 pm

You are certifiably a fascist, in addition to other things that we won’t mention.

On the other hand, you cannot continue libeling people as “antisemites” without solid proof.

You were already challenged to produce proof within clearly stated terms or apologize. I see neither, and am justified to spit in your beady eyes. Nauseating person.

• azythos
        June 24, 2010, 3:19 pm

PS that was to the unspeakable maximal.

• Sumud
        June 25, 2010, 2:38 am

“the Anti-semite Shingo seeks to minimize and deny Jewish history,”

That clearly isn’t the case. You’re so paranoid you see anti-semitism everywhere. Have you seen Yoav Shamir’s Defamation?

link to archive.org

June 25, 2010, 2:45 am

He’s not paranoid Sumud, he’s just trying to get a reaction out of people becasue no one is buying his bullshit.  A few days ago he was for a 2 state solution and criticising those for a single state.  Today he’s for a single Jewish state.

He’s just an impotent and lame Hasbara troll who keeps reinventing himself every time he gets banned.  He comes up with a new ID, pretends to be respectful and well intentioned commenter and quickly turns into a raving religious nut job and gets himself banned again.  He’ll lose his shit, cross the line, get banned and return again.

• Sumud
        June 25, 2010, 2:47 am

Sun goes up, sun goes down. You may well be right Shingo.

6. Avi
    June 23, 2010, 6:26 pm

For best results, sell all of your possessions [...]

Best results for whom? Certainly not the Olim. Should an Oleh change his/her mind a few weeks or months after arrival in Israel, he/she are more likely to stay, to stick it out, for financial reasons. It’s akin to being in an abusive marriage and having no battered women’s shelter to go to, no relatives, and no friends. That’s one way Zionists can ensure that the gullible immigrants stay in Israel, they send them up **** creek without a paddle. This modus operandi is no different than that of police who ‘flip’ a perpetrator and make him an informant – “Either you go to prison for 5 years, or you work for us”.

You see, Zionism is moral, through and through.

• hayate
      June 23, 2010, 8:52 pm

Avi June 23, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Good point.

• Psychopathic god
      June 24, 2010, 9:40 am

I like the strategy.
      Why would the US want these turncoats to come back? Why SHOULD the US allow them back?

June 24, 2010, 9:43 am

Because it’s totally unfair for us to dump our trash on the Palestinians.

7. eljay
    June 23, 2010, 6:29 pm

>> Wow. What’s to say? That is f*cked up….

Yeah, but I can imagine at least one member of this forum site fwapping to the article. “Nurture me, baby, nurture me! C’mon…say it…say it!! Aliyaaaaaaahhh!!!”

>> “I have more job security than any of my friends,” he said with a laugh. “Why join the IDF instead of the American army?” I asked. Andrew gave me a baffled look. “I don’t want to be in, like, Grenada,” he scoffed, adding, “If I’m going to die for my country, I want it to be in someplace where I have a connection.” A Teaneck, New Jersey native, Alana also wanted to serve her adopted country: “I want to be prime minister of Israel!” she gushed.

That, there, is some serious brainwashing at work.

8. Bill in Maryland
    June 23, 2010, 6:33 pm

lareineblanche June 23, 2010 at 5:48 pm:
    I agree lareinblanche. The same music was used to stir the blood in the soundtrack of “Last of the Mohicans” with Daniel Day-Lewis. Tragic clash of cultures redux.

9. Avi
    June 23, 2010, 6:38 pm

I had no idea Madison Avenue was in the occupied West Bank.

Ya learn somethin’ new everyday.

• Citizen
      June 24, 2010, 7:51 am

RE: “If I’m going to die for my country, I want it to be in someplace where I have a connection.” Shouldn’t this be a required slogan on a sign over every US military recruiting station and on a handout given to every young person solicited by the ROTC? And how does it fit in with
      the constantly sold idea that “If we don’t fight them over there, we will be fighting them here?” What connection does the average rural southern recruit feel/have with Iran, Iraq, or Afghanistan? More connection with the Middle East than the average American Jewish youth?

• Citizen
        June 24, 2010, 7:53 am

These questions should be asked of the two congress persons holding the most AIPAC donations, Joe Lieberman and Arlen Spector.

10. kapok
    June 23, 2010, 6:50 pm

Israel is Stepford!

• Psychopathic god
      June 24, 2010, 9:44 am

Eshkol (is that Hebrew for Ashcan?) looks like Cabrini Green waiting to happen.

what happens to Israel when US goes belly-up and can’t fund Israel any longer, and Israel can’t steal any more pharma money, weapons to sell to China, etc. What revenue streams will Israel have to support all these bribes? Who will Israel steal it from?

11. catherinewriter
    June 23, 2010, 6:50 pm

Finally was able to log in. A great site you have, thanks.

Incredible video, or maybe not. But I didn’t know whether to laugh or hurl.

A lot to respond to here, but I’ll just ask one thing. My understanding has always been that the billions of bucks we taxpayers give to Israel each year are for defense, or mostly defense. So where does the state get all the money needed for moving hundreds of people there and paying for so much – health care, jobs, rent, etc.?

(Not that I think it would be okay if our tax monies went for Aliyah, just that I thought we paid for the bombs and tanks and caterpillars and walls, etc.)

• Schwartzman
      June 23, 2010, 8:34 pm

Catherine,

good question, anything bad (or i guess anything at all) Israel does is from American tax dollars. It’s token anti-America/Israel rhetoric. If American tax payers paid for 1/2 of the things they were accused of paying for here on Mondoweiss, our national debt would be twice as much as it is now.

Just another non-truth spread bye the commentators get used to it if your new here.

June 23, 2010, 9:24 pm

Why are Israelis trying to kill the United States under a mountain of debt?

• Schwartzman
        June 23, 2010, 11:51 pm

Now you are blaming Israel’s 3 billion a year on our economic woes? lol, u are a silly person.

June 24, 2010, 12:07 am

Does the city of New Orleans even get 3 billion a year from the federal government?

• Schwartzman
        June 24, 2010, 12:27 am

What does that have to do with your initial claim about Israel bankrupting the US? There is a hell of a pattern on the comments section here. Say something extremely outrageous with no fact behind it, get called out on it, then instead of defending your original comment, say something totally irrelevant to your original, misleading, incorrect statement.

With supporters like you, I wonder why it’s been 62 years w/ out a state….

June 24, 2010, 12:29 am

“Now you are blaming Israel’s 3 billion a year on our economic woes?  lol,  u are a silly person.”

3 billion a year plus the billions more in loan guarantees (loans Israel doesn’t repay) plus the nearly 3 billion a year to Egypt (so it plays nice with Israel) and the billions to Jordan (so it plays nice with Israel), plus the billions more in supplemental spending, plus the billions it costs to keep aircraft carriers in the Gulf to protect Israel, plus the trillions is has spent in Iraq.

After the 2006 war, Istael got the US yo foot the multi billion dollar costs.

It all adds up.  Israel has cost the US well over a trillion dollars, and that was in 2003.

And just recently, Israel gas requested a further increase in aid.

June 24, 2010, 12:34 am

With supporters like you, I wonder why it’s been 62 years w/ out a state….

I’m curious. Do you actually break out in racuous laughter when you see those “one shot two kills” T-shirts with pregnant Palestinian women in crosshairs? Or how about the photos of Palestinian babies burned almost beyond recognition by the white phosphorous you lobbed into their homes?

Do you actually take joy in inflicting pain and death on others?

• Sumud
        June 24, 2010, 1:29 am

Three trillion Shingo!

‘The Costs to American Taxpayers of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: $3 Trillion’
        link to wrmea.com

• Psychopathic god
        June 24, 2010, 6:59 am

there’s also the costs to Americans in lost contracts and opportunities to invest in and trade with Iran, a market 70 million strong, that Americans have been kept out of because of Israeli greed.

Queen Isabella is becoming more and more understandable.

• Citizen
        June 24, 2010, 8:05 am

Time to look at AIPAC’s donations to individual US congress persons: link to opednews.com

June 24, 2010, 8:08 am

I suspect they do more than laugh about it Chaos, but probably get quite an arousal over such images.

• hayate
      June 23, 2010, 9:04 pm

Ask madoff, catherinewriter. The protection monies the zionists extract from the usa is pretty much a madoff type scam all the way through.

June 23, 2010, 9:07 pm

Oh please go into detail about how funding Israel is a Ponzie scheme. I want to see how this one works out in your mind.

Ok I see one similarity, Israel is Jewish land and Madoff was a Jew, ok cheap shot. Let’s hear some more :)

Max

• thankgodimatheist
        June 23, 2010, 11:32 pm

“Israel is Jewish land”

Where does it say that Israel is Jewish land. Go ahead, explain..

• potsherd
      June 23, 2010, 9:10 pm

A certain amount of it is funded by Zionist billionaires in the US. Nefesh B’nefesh, for example, started out as a private venture and got a lot of bankroll from Christian Zionists.

• azythos
      June 23, 2010, 9:49 pm

“My understanding has always been that the billions of bucks we taxpayers give to Israel each year are for defense, or mostly defense.”

Defense? When have you seen any defense?
      Let me have a look at my dictionary.

12. maximalistNarrative
    June 23, 2010, 6:54 pm

I LOVE IT! I am SOLD!

Really warms my heart to see the revivification of the Jewish capital.

June 23, 2010, 8:59 pm

I’m sure seeing children being burned by white phosphorous warms your heart even more you fascist scum.

June 23, 2010, 9:04 pm

Shingo,

That is such a gross and sick comment. Man! Disgusting! Do you think before you post?

Max

June 23, 2010, 9:41 pm

I certainty do Max, and yes, I do find you particularly disgusting, which also happens to be a very apt way to describe the Zionist psychosis and mind set.

• hayate
        June 23, 2010, 9:05 pm

Isn’t tel aviv the snuff film capital of the world?

June 23, 2010, 9:08 pm

Another really sick and gross comment. I have to remind myself not to read the posts here before dinner!

June 23, 2010, 9:25 pm

And possibly ecstasy. Well, I only know for sure that most of the world’s ecstasy comes from Israel.

And if you think what I’m referring to is “a profound, nigh-irrational state of pleasure,” guess again.

June 23, 2010, 9:44 pm

Yes, stick to watching death porn before meals Max. That’ll wet your appetite.

And remember to wear a bib. You don’t want to be spilling food on your new “One shot, TwoKills” tshirt.

• thankgodimatheist
        June 23, 2010, 11:36 pm

“Another really sick and gross comment.”
        More than this one, maximalist shit?
        “Man that is so awesome. Jerusalem is being built up day by day and these modern projects are great!”
        Stealing land, building settlement and cheering for ethnic cleansing should get you banned for making sick and gross comments.

• Schwartzman
        June 23, 2010, 11:44 pm

The majority of MDMA comes from the Netherlands Chaos. No need to lie….

link to wiki.answers.com

June 24, 2010, 12:08 am

Wow, your exacting knowledge on where to get “the good stuff” is impressive, Schwartzman…

June 24, 2010, 12:09 am

Although, of course, you must have been using it while reading it. That link says absolutely nothing about majority.

June 24, 2010, 12:59 am

Yes Chaos don’t you know anything?

MDMA is Netherlands. Israel stick to sexual slavery and organ trafficking.

• Psychopathic god
        June 24, 2010, 9:48 am

Israelis have long been the primary merchants dealing in Afghan poppy.

• Schwartzman
        June 23, 2010, 9:09 pm

i am pretty sure fascist scum is an ad-hominem, can you act like an adult Shingo?

June 23, 2010, 9:20 pm

Yes I can Schwartzman,

It’s both an ad-hominem and an accurate statement. Can you cease to behave like a member of the human race as opposed to pure fascist scum?

June 23, 2010, 10:10 pm

Right on Schwartzman! Let’s stick to the issues and leave name calling out of it!

• azythos
      June 23, 2010, 9:11 pm

“I am SOLD!”

That’s news? We knew.
      Mustn’t have costed much.

June 23, 2010, 10:23 pm

azythos, please explain why cost might be an issue to me, why did you bring up cost?

• azythos
        June 24, 2010, 1:02 am

You can censor it now if you want.
        At any rate it is accurate and proved.

June 24, 2010, 1:10 am

At any rate what is accurate and proved? Please explain yourself.

June 24, 2010, 9:12 am

You are all the explanation azythos needs. :)

June 24, 2010, 10:08 am

I think that anti-semites retreat when called on comments that are clearly anti-semitic. You are quite possibly right that my questioning of these comments and the silient response, is sufficient to explain their anti-semitic nature

13. hayate
    June 23, 2010, 7:29 pm

“My husband would love to have a goat,”

:D

• hayate
      June 23, 2010, 8:31 pm

IE:

• hayate
        June 23, 2010, 10:03 pm

Odd, maxine has posted wind-up spam after my other posts, but not this one.Too close to home?

:D

• traintosiberia
      June 23, 2010, 10:36 pm

She did not see the goat in her husband!

• hayate
        June 23, 2010, 10:58 pm

“She did not see the goat in her husband!”

Or perhaps a side of him he had not gone into during dinner before:

link to youtube.com

It’s at the very end.

:D

• demize
      June 24, 2010, 1:47 am

LULZ!! AKA. If you were married to me, you’d want one too! Must be a relative of Mickey Kaus. Bah Dum Dummp.

14. Cliff
    June 23, 2010, 8:16 pm

Just to remind people here and Phil.

BSD/UNIX displayed the same exact indifference to the effects of the continued colonization/settlement enterprise – both illegal – on the Palestinians and the peace process. She/he also frame every quibble/argument as ‘etc. etc. against Jews’. Basically, if an Israeli settlement was closed down, it became an ethnic cleansing of Jews. If an IDF soldier was killed, it was a Jew who was murdered. Etc. etc.

I would not be surprised if the settler has just assumed another username.

June 23, 2010, 10:00 pm

I’m pretty sure you’re right Cliff.

The sociopathic and macabre ideology, sugar coated in polite and sanguine rhetoric is a dead giveaway. He’s much like Witty on ecstasy.

• thankgodimatheist
      June 23, 2010, 11:40 pm

“I would not be surprised if the settler has just assumed another username.”

I hate to say it but I told you so..I was hestitating to think so for a couple of days in his beginnings but it all became clear now. Maximalist shit is UNIX.

• thankgodimatheist
        June 23, 2010, 11:42 pm

Remember his “you’re hurting our cause”? It’s about “bridging gaps between us” now..Another cheap attempt at deception.

15. VR
    June 23, 2010, 9:19 pm

It is amazing that many are actually reading colonial support and do not even recognize it. This is no different than any other colonial enterprise no matter how much it is dressed up in Madison avenue garb. Our government (USA) allows and supports colonial migration, it is that simple.

There has never been any action taken on these properties which are sold here, no government agency has addressed it because they support this colonial activity. I can remember writing about this in the past, it was never investigated –

BUT A NEW HOME IN OCCUPIED PALESTINE

• VR
      June 23, 2010, 9:26 pm

Link title rather “BUY” A NEW HOME IN PALESTINE

16. traintosiberia
    June 23, 2010, 10:36 pm

Oneday US will pay for allowing the illegal Open House on its soil. Palestine will demand payemnt as Jewsih people do from Germany/Austria/France/ fro crimes committed in 30s.

17. syvanen
    June 23, 2010, 11:53 pm

One of the interesting things to come out of this is that there are many American Jews who have purchased condominiums in West jerusalem. These are properties that reamain empty for most of the year. They are basically vacation homes. Empty streets for most of the year, a place for rich Americans to vacation. I guess these foreign homeowners rely on native Jews to man the IDF to protect their property from the natives. Wouldn’t someone expect that the local cannon fodder might finally realize that they are not defending their Jewish state, but rather a bunch of rich American vacation properties? Such are the dynamics of modern colonialism.

June 24, 2010, 12:10 am

Wonder where Witty is going for the summer, huh?

• hayate
      June 24, 2010, 1:18 am

“a place for rich Americans to vacation”

I don’t doubt what you say here, syvanen, but what sort of person would want to vacation in a racist hellhole like israel? Reminds me of the club med crowd.

(shudders)

• potsherd
      June 24, 2010, 8:17 am

This trend is a large part of the reason real estate in Jerusalem is sky-high, which causes Israelis to look for cheaper property elsewhere, and the cheapest is to be found by expropriating Palestinian land.

The occupation is in fact a giant real estate scam, and Israeli politicians are making millions off Palestinian misery.

Our friend Max here is probably drooling to get a piece of that action.

• Chu
        June 24, 2010, 8:39 am

It’s a real estate scam with the Old Testament as their archeological map to uncovering their lost land in East Jerusalem. And last but not least, don’t forget the genetic studies. Those can be debated for the next half century. At that point Gaza strip will look like a toothpick of land with 100,00 refugees remaining. They will be called Hamas Romantics and Witty will still be saying ‘live and let live’.

June 24, 2010, 8:43 am

“They will be called Hamas Romantics and Witty will still be saying ‘live and let live’.”

And that this is all in the name of Israeli self governance.

• eljay
        June 24, 2010, 9:18 am

>> And that this is all in the name of Israeli self governance.

More like “in the name of racist, Zionist self-governance”. Egalitarian and democractic governance of all Israelis by all Israelis wouldn’t be so disgustingly lop-sided and oppressive.

18. demize
    June 24, 2010, 1:42 am

Ahh, Real-Estate hockery and Ethno-Religious Supremecy a charming combination for a hot summers afternoon. If I ever see Andrew I’d like to offer him a primer on Boot-Camp by shoving my foot in his rectum.

• hayate
      June 24, 2010, 11:02 pm

Make sure you’re wearing booties.

;D

• demize
        June 25, 2010, 12:46 am

Doc Maarten size 10-1/2 Son;)

19. Psychopathic god
    June 24, 2010, 6:50 am

don’t let the door hit you — on second thought…

Can’t we get some legislation that says, “You leave the US, you stay out. No rewinds, no, “Meh, I changed my mind, the windows got dirty…”

“And when the Lord your God brings you into the land that he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give you—with great and good cities that you did not build, and houses full of all good things that you did not fill, and cisterns that you did not dig, and vineyards and olive trees that you did not plant—and when you eat and are full, then take care “

20. Chu
    June 24, 2010, 8:00 am

I like the special effects in the video, like seeing a shooting star when the couple is on the balcony for a bit of romance on a hot. It’s so reminiscent of the days of white phosphorus filling the air.

The summary of Aliyah Benefits makes it seem that Israel is desperate for immigration. What a surprise…

• potsherd
      June 24, 2010, 8:26 am

WANTED: CANNON FODDER

Apply at Israeli embassy.

• Psychopathic god
      June 24, 2010, 9:22 am

the special effects I noticed were the numerous shots that showed a barren landscape — seemed to me the message was, “this was vacant land; we made the desert bloom…”

also notice the really piss poor architecture. you want beautiful architecture, design that takes you breath away, go to Iran.

the film breezed past the synagogue on the site — it looked more like a water tank. absolutely no sense of design, of beauty. just greed.

In the US, when you transfer property, you need to run a ‘chain of title’ to prove that the seller has legal possession of the property and can transfer possession. Wonder how the chain of title reads in Eshkol: “we stole this fair and square…. anyone who says otherwise is guilty of blood libel… “(tee hee maxNarr)

• Chu
        June 24, 2010, 9:48 am

PG,funny water tower comment, colonial outposts often don’t have much aesthetic value and sublime architecture has never been part of the Israeli design ambition, from what I see. They prefer taking other styles and villages and just renaming them with Jewish village names.

I can’t wait to see the blueprints of the third temple. It will probably be built with metal studs and 2×4’s.

21. Elliot
    June 24, 2010, 8:43 am

Andrew has got it figured out. As one of a handful of American Jews who move to Israel to serve in the IDF, he will be pampered. He’ll have fantastic benefits – beyond anything an American grunt could dream of.
    He will get 1 month off every year to visit his folks, he’ll get more time off when they come to visit, he will be “adopted” by an Israeli family where he’ll have his own room with home-cooked meals for his weekends back from the base. They will also give him emotional support. He’ll get to choose which profession he wants to master in the military, he will make professional connections that will set him up in business in four years time.
    And, he will be a hero, in Israel, and likely back home too.
    After his discharge, if he moves to the West Bank, he will get massively subsidized housing within modest commuter distance of his job. He’s young enough not to care about being killed or injured, either in the military or on the West Bank and he doesn’t seem to think about the moral issues.
    What’s not to like?

22. Kathleen
    June 24, 2010, 9:26 am

“Israeli expo in NYC markets penthouses in settlements”

Should read “ILLEGAL” settlements

23. Kathleen
    June 24, 2010, 9:30 am

And here is how much American taxpayers are paying for Israel
    link to ifamericansknew.org

24. droog
    June 24, 2010, 9:40 am

Everytime I look at the Eshkol Heights logo it looks more and more like a daytime soap-opera.
    The Glamorous and Heartwrenching stories of everyday folks, just trying to make their innocent dreams come true, in a turbulent sea of everybody elses irrational jealousy. The day to day dramas of love and aspiration played out in an ordinary penthouse apartment, the shimmering haze of the parched desert of hatred, just visible in the distance as an everpresent reminder of the rightness of the cause.
    ” Honey, this is not just about riding some ponzi scheme for all the bling!, this is about the fundamental nature of the human condition. Rights every man has fought for since the beginning of time itself, why shouldn’t we have the second pool for the goat?, are we to be oppressed even within our own dreams!?!”

25. americangoy
    June 24, 2010, 12:52 pm

Personally, I have absolutely no problems with this.

Zero.

If you are an American citizen of Jewish heritage, but identify strongly with Israel to the point that you want to move there and become an Israeli – DO IT!

More power to you.

Then there are no questions of dual loyalty, or the tired old meme that “Israeli interests are the same as America’s”.

That is why I like the Israeli ambassador to America – who became an Israeli after being born here.

What I cannot stand is “americans” who sing Ha’tikvah in a synagogue, send their sons to fight in the IDF, to kibbutzes, support Israel over USA’s interests and then call someone a bigot or an anti-semite when somene dares to bring up dual loyalty.

26. americangoy
    June 24, 2010, 12:53 pm

“As a single person moving to Israel, my aliyah payment would be about $4,000 (families get about $14,000), and I’d receive the first installment upon arrival at Ben Gurion airport—in cash; free health care for a year; five months of free Hebrew classes; free tuition for a BA and/or masters degree; rent subsidy for five years (about $60/mo for a single, $105/mo for families); job counseling; a 70-90% reduced property tax; low mortgage rates; and more.

American taxpayers pay for this.

This is what has to get out.”

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH, however.

27. Psychopathic god
    June 24, 2010, 3:07 pm

same crap different year
    Frontline broadcast on the Twentieth Anniversary of the 1967 War:

Israel: The Price of Victory (June 1987)

Amos’ Wife:

I would have loved to live in Tel Aviv, but we couldn’t afford it, so we had to compromise.

Interviewer:

Did you compromise on your political beliefs?

Amos:

Yes, I compromised on my political beliefs, because I always wanted a house with a garden, a separate house, and the terms enabled me to achieve this dream.

Man # 2:

The government offers very good terms here. Because it wants to settle this area, to make it difficult to return to the Arabs.

Israeli Woman:

I’m sure that they’re not going to return this place. Even if one believes in peace, and we all want peace, I don’t want my kids to fight. But to remove people from their homes in order to make peace? This is beyond me.

Israeli Man:

This is my home. There is no question of returning it.

NARRATOR: They are all aware they told us, that living in the West Bank, or Samaria, as it is called in Israel, has caused them to shift politically to the right.

Israeli Woman:

Today, I would vote for the right wing, the Likud, because I live here. Not because I like their politics.

Man # 1:

I too would vote Likud, but I hope they become more decisive, otherwise I would have to move more to the right.

Man # 2:

Today I have doubts whether to vote right, or extreme right.

Woman :

I feel the same. If the Likud, the right will not become more decisive, I would vote extreme right.

DR. MEIR PAIL, Historian: Gradually, since the end of the Six Day War, we have been turning towards the right. The center had turned into the right, and the left has turned into the center. You can put it in another…

NARRATOR: Dr. Meir Pail is a historian and a general in the Israeli Army Reserve.

DR. MEIR PAIL: We say that the nationalists turn to be gradually chauvinists. And the chauvinists turned into racists. So the existing process in Israel is we proceed towards the right. We are getting more, more and more nationally fanatics. We are — we are, I think, almost crossed that barrier of racism. I won’t say racism, excuse me, chauvinism, and we face racism. Kahana is not an accident. He is an outcome of the objective situation.

NARRATOR: We found Meir Kahana not in the West Bank, but in a small town in the northeast of Israel. Kahana is a New York born rabbi, who immigrated to Israel in 1972.

He was voted into Parliament in 1984, on a platform which called for the expulsion of all Arabs from Israeli controlled territories.

His constituents are the angry and the disaffected, wherever they are.

FIMA, Resident of Bet Shean: There is no word to describe my life. Hard is not the word for it. For me it’s hard enough, but I have three youngsters who want to go to the movies once in awhile, and they can’t, because I don’t have the money to give them, it’s very hard.

NARRATOR: Fima is an oriental Jew. He was born in an Arab country, Morrocco. In the past 30 years, hundreds of thousands of oriental Jews came to Israel. They now constitute 55 percent of the country’s Jewish population. Here in Bet Shean, almost everyone is an oriental Jew.

. . .

28. kalithea
    June 24, 2010, 4:58 pm

Those so-called Americans should be stripped of their American citizenship IMMEDIATELY for complicity in an international crime under the Geneva Convention!

Those towers remind me of something in biblical history……B A B E L.

Hmm…I wonder if there’s a “sinkhole” under those penthouses. Title of promotional video should be “Eshkol sinkhole”.

Take that “maximalistNarrative”!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey mN, If you really believe in a divine birthright, know this, only God can say WHEN AND HOW that birthright should be bestowed!! In the meantime, Zionists are tempting fate by stripping God of “kairos” and behaving like Nazis.

The karma is building with each structure Israelis build with Mammon’s patronage.

29. kalithea
    June 24, 2010, 5:40 pm

The apathy of many Jews and Israeli Jews vis a vis the tragedy they are facilitating is as staggering as the apathy demonstrated by the German population circa mid 1930’s.

There is no doubt in my mind that Zionists have common ground with Nazis.