It is only Palestine

8000 rockets are no excuse
Suicide bombers, it’s all just a ruse
Unless you’re Israel, self-defense is right
A Jewish army response is disproportionate might
The activists sailed to deliver their aid
Jihad cash is what they were paid
Turkish delight in the media’s glare
Slashing knives don’t seems fair

And the song goes on…

This is how I sat listening to the charming power of music: a strikingly amazing Israeli piece made me on the verge of crying, sympathizing with the poor defenseless Israelis against the terrifically heavily-armed and fanatic Palestinians.

However, while I sat staring at the young lady, as she gently played the piano with her slight fingers, a sudden immense collection of images kept turning up in my mind: images of bloody corpses lying lifelessly on the ground amidst the rubble; a huge devastated area, which had just been bombarded by a US-made F16, covered with an enormous, rising, thick, black smoke; images of phosphorus bomb, thousands of serpentine white braids descending like white lines of smoke creeping towards the earth to burn; images of a mother tearing her hair, crying over the death of her eldest son who hasn’t been married for more than a month, the agonizing wails of the mother are drastically intensified by the dumb silence of the wife who retreated to a corner of her crammed room, covered in black, and staring at the crying women; images of women and children endlessly queuing up in the early morning in front of a bakery waiting for their lot of bread; images of a firefighter standing before a huge burning fire, which lit the dead night, holding on to the water hose while helicopters hovering above in the sky in the aftermath of shelling a mosque; images of trickling blood, trickling tears, corpses, destruction and debris; sounds of wails, cries, whines, snivels, bombs, overhead drones, and prayer calls. All these images, and others far more disconcerting, filled my mind as the song went on.

The Jewish girl poured her magical voice out while this series kept turning in my mind. The girl apparently believed that she is oppressed, for she was singing with all her heart, with a sad and melancholic expression on her face, which I believe would make way better sense on the faces against whom she sang. At any rate, I would have no problem to believe she is oppressed, but from this video it is unclear – who is oppressing who? I would have been the first to side with the girl had she chosen to be another one’s enemy (perhaps ‘enemy’ here is unpleasant to describe such a sensitive delicate girl, but this is the actual fact).

Let’s keep ourselves away from illusive political talk and unceasing historical arguments and pose the ultimate question: who is in power? Who is murdering the other? Who is besieging the other? Who is occupying the other? Who is waiting at checkpoints for long hours in mid-day under the burning sun of September? Who has lost 1500 in less 22 days? Who is spending the nights in the dark? There is an unending series of ‘who is’?

‘Only Israel’ was the name of the song. Only Israel doesn’t have the right to self-defense. Only Israel doesn’t have the right to respond. Only Israelis are not cared for. Only Israel is discriminated against while the Palestinians, who are never mentioned in the song, are surrounded by cousins flowing with oil demanding the Israelis to give up their land! It would have given me a stoic smile to have watched myself listen to these words. Can’t she take herself as far back as to 1948? Who has taken the other’s land? Can’t she open up her eyes and see things better than that? How accurate it would have been had "Israel" been replaced with "Palestine!" It is only Israel, young lady, who has the right to talk, attack, kill, bomb, besiege others, seize their land, expel them, build settlements, own weapons and the list continues.

It is only Israel.

The music was no longer charming, and the words were a greater ruse than the ‘suicide bombers’ she spoke of, for we both had not heard of a suicide bomber in the region for long (perhaps the disproportionate bombing helped wipe them out). The words were a ruse, for the 8000 rockets certainly look different when you consider how many Israelis were killed or even hurt by these rockets. It might amuse the young lady to know that these 8000 rockets put together will almost certainly weigh less than just eight of the several hundred bombs that Israel dropped in only one area in the last war. It is a ruse.

I am not going to refute the lyrics of the song one by one, nor am I to defend myself against the song. I will only backtrack to the one moment where I felt myself going with the rhythm, abandoning my people’s misery in the blink of an eye. I twitched. I felt the grave sin of my treachery and knew I should tell no one of how fragile my faith and I are against the poignant influences of a short piece of music.

Yes, young lady, the song is all just a ruse: It is only Palestine.

Mohammed Rabah Suliman, 21, is a student of English Literature at the Islamic University of Gaza. He blogs at http://msuliman.wordpress.com/.

About Mohammed Rabah Suliman

1. Chu
    July 28, 2010, 11:37 am

She’s an ignoramus, caught in the bubble-victim culture.
    The lyric ” because the world cares nothing for Jewish blood, is worthy of ridicule. What may have helped the chorus would be to say ‘we wandered the earth for 2000 years and now we want to return home’.

• RoHa
      July 28, 2010, 8:38 pm

Jewish blood? That’s blue and white striped blood, is it?

2. rmokhtar
    July 28, 2010, 11:49 am

I’m sure she has never visited Gaza.

It’s funny, when I see Israelis demonstrating frequently I hear something similar to the following

“Come to Israel, you will see the beauty, the gardens, the hotels….and you will see we are peace loving people”.

Then I see the Palestinian side….and the demonstrators are saying “Look, come see for yourself all the destruction, all the death, all the poverty, the malnutrition…why? What have we done?”

It’s crazy how those two narratives can still unfold in the minds of people, in such a small strip of land….without people crossing over to see the destruction they wreak.

• sherbrsi
      July 28, 2010, 4:37 pm

“I’m sure she has never visited Gaza.”

Yedida served in the IDF as a musician and performed for soldiers across the country. She has performed in the snow at Aushcwitz when touring with Officers from the National Military academy. She performed in watch towers over looking Gaza, Lebanon and Syria.

Nope, she’s just another ignoramus mouthpiece for Hasbara.

• rmokhtar
        July 28, 2010, 4:39 pm

That’s….sick.

• Mohammed Rabah Suliman
        July 28, 2010, 7:22 pm

Is that right? Then, thank you for this; I just came to know it though she doesn’t look like a veteran singer!

• Bumblebye
        July 28, 2010, 7:33 pm

Don’t we all know: “looks can be deceptive”, or “beauty deceives the eye”.
        Perfect hasbara?

• Mohammed Rabah Suliman
        July 28, 2010, 7:52 pm

True. but when beauty deceives its very enemy, then it has become exceedingly dangerous. This is perfect beauty!

3. Donald
    July 28, 2010, 11:52 am

For the first few seconds when I saw this post I read the words to the song first and thought this was a parody of Israeli narcissism. It was jarring to find it’s apparently meant sincerely.

I wouldn’t call this girl sensitive. She’s talented, intelligent and well-educated and if she believes this is a fair description of the conflict it’s a self-inflicted wound, a form of intellectual suicide. But sensitive? No way.

• Citizen
      July 28, 2010, 12:02 pm

Her song’s constant refrain explains it all:
      “For the world cares nothing about Jewish blood.”

Imagine a song with the constant refrain:
      For the Jews care nothing about Gentile blood.”

Children’s books in Nazi Germany came very close.

• Donald
        July 28, 2010, 12:35 pm

I often object to Nazi comparisons for various reasons, but in this case it’s fair. “For the world cares nothing about Jewish blood” is itself a sweeping racist insult of anyone and everyone in the world who is critical of Israel and an excuse to justify Israeli atrocities.

In a way my initial reaction was right–the song is a parody, something you’d write to make fun of the most idiotic pro-Israeli types and it’s just too perfect that it’s meant to be a parody at all.

• Citizen
        July 28, 2010, 2:30 pm

You forgot the word “not” in your concluding sentence.

• Donald
        July 28, 2010, 7:22 pm

Yeah, I did.

• Mohammed Rabah Suliman
      July 28, 2010, 7:27 pm

Well, let’s agree on something first: not everything written in that piece is meant to be understood literally…

• Donald
        July 28, 2010, 7:35 pm

Probably not, but then oftentimes racist comments aren’t meant literally. People engage in what they consider to be humorous exaggeration.

4. rmokhtar
    July 28, 2010, 11:56 am

“Slashing knives don’t seem fair.”

Translated in Arabic to: Use of knives is not polite…

….

5. Avi
    July 28, 2010, 12:11 pm

I seem to recall a scene from a movie (It might have been Schindler’s List) in which Nazi officers take pot shots at unsuspecting concentration camp prisoners down below all the while they listen to classical music — the mark of very civilized people — on the Gramophone (Record player).

6. annie
    July 28, 2010, 12:16 pm

i know it can be infuriating mohammed but you mustn’t let taken in by the emotionality of the music. the lyrics of this song were written by her father and brother, it is all just the same old propaganda we always hear dished up w/this seemingly innocent voice. i didn’t listen to more than a few seconds of it. it will appeal to israel supporters and others will see right thru it. don’t loose faith this will sway public opinion, it will not. we’re growing did you hear emily’s anthem to palestine? it doesn’t sound like it got squeezed out of a state sponsored tube of propaganda either.

• Mohammed Rabah Suliman
      July 28, 2010, 7:37 pm

I can’t agree more, but what is really infuriating about that is how many hits the song has got on youtube so far. 524,683 views! how many of those people have been misled into believing every word of that song, not to say how many of them their feelings have been stirred by the song just leaving themselves going on with the rhythm as if listening to any other song on youtube!

• hayate
        July 28, 2010, 9:42 pm

Hits on youtube don’t mean it was approved of. And negative comments may have been deleted (I’m sure if I had written any, they would have been ;D) by the person who uploaded the video. Those ridiculing it still will go to the page at least once.

7. Mooser
    July 28, 2010, 12:34 pm

I’d rather be flayed alive by flechettes than push the “play” button.

July 28, 2010, 12:55 pm

That reminds me, I should be practising my tri-tone substitutions right now. Best wishes to all, and see you tomorrow.
      Lohdennis will be a much-more-than-adequate substitute for me, and arty will be back, I hope.

• munro
      July 28, 2010, 2:35 pm

“I’d rather be flayed alive by flechettes than push the “play” button.”

didn’t expect to laugh at this thread. funny.

July 28, 2010, 3:09 pm

Oy, tasteless choice of words on my part, I must have had the word “flechettes” in my head from the “Today in Palestine” thread. and it goes well with “flayed”

• munro
        July 28, 2010, 3:28 pm

you shd be called “Witty” not that other shnook.

July 28, 2010, 6:41 pm

Bite your tongue!

• thankgodimatheist
      July 29, 2010, 4:21 am

“I’d rather be flayed alive by flechettes than push the “play” button.”

I don’t understand how the others here could bring themselves to do just that..I’d rather give a cuddle to a viper..

8. hayate
    July 28, 2010, 12:54 pm

Atzmon had this er…..”performance” on his site around the beginning of the month, with this intro:

“Nothing gives the Israeli more libidinal pleasure than see themselves as victims while killing others. Beware, this Judeocentric clip may make you sick. It’s the message, the ‘music’ and the pathos…”

Victims United
    July 4, 2010 at 7:02AM

link to gilad.co.uk

I wonder if the whackos at kkk and skinhead rallies have “performers” like this whinging about their “victimhood”, as well.

“We was just having a nice little lynching of a black man who back talked Widow Hawkins when this army of Black Panther terruists arrived and started beating us up for no reason….”

:D

9. Berthe
    July 28, 2010, 1:11 pm

I notice the reference to Darfur in the song and remember reading that super Zionists are behind the Darfur campaign. In other words, its a ruse to distract world attention and intends no sincere concern for suffering. They got an awful lot of mileage and celebrity involvement out of it.

• hayate
      July 28, 2010, 1:35 pm

“I notice the reference to Darfur in the song and remember reading that super Zionists are behind the Darfur campaign.”

Good spot, the inclusion was probably not coincidental, just as this…er, “song” is probably official hasbara (not some spontaneous amateur job). Kind of reminds me of that american country-western bumplug who was promoted by the ziofascist media back from around the time of the Iraq invasion who was singing about “kicking Iraqi ass” or some pathetic shite like that.

• munro
      July 28, 2010, 2:50 pm

Darfur has been huge in West L.A., Beverly Hills for years. Lots of arty types, blonde dreadlocks, funked up clothes, are engaged with their kids in Save Darfur through temples and ‘sister’ African American churches in South Los Angeles. Impossible to discuss it in anything but admiring terms.

• syvanen
      July 28, 2010, 9:30 pm

Oh yes Darfur. Just a few years back this was a big issue in the US. Today it is barely mentioned. I was arguing then that the US does not have any interests in the outcome of that civil war and we should stay out. The pro-Darfurians were advocating for active US involvement. But then — poof the whole issue disappeared. What happened one may ask?

Well, first let me say that our arguments did not win this one. What I discovered later, is that the Darfurian Liberation Movement (whatever name it may have had) had the support of some very well funded PR companies in the US. And they succeeded in recruiting a number of Hollywood celebs that made Darfur their cause (this has to be the modern definition of what Lenin described as useful idiots). Someone mentioned W LA — yes that is where the PR money was spent. So a few years back, there was this debate in the US that we must use our military to back the poor Darfurians. And this argument was beginning to make some serious headway. And then nothing.

So what happened. Well the US had just then become hopelessly bogged down in Iraq without any chances of victory in Afghanistan. Basically, it was clear even to least sentient being that the US did not have the resources to influence events in Darfur. At this point the whole pro-Darfur PR campaign in US evaporated. I suspect that the financial backers for the campaign realized that they could not overcome the reality that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were becoming an unsustainable burden to the US budget.

Now the question that I hope someone could unravel is who paid for this PR campaign in the first place? It was certainly not paid for by the Darfurian rebels seeking independence from Sudan. They are basically a very poor farmer society with insufficient capital to hire NY publicity companies. Now where did that money come from?

Many suspect that it came from Zionist sources who were just supporting Israel’s long time foreign policy goal of splitting Arab nations into smaller ethnic groups. Indeed, they have been quite successful so far in splitting Iraq into their their major ethnic groupings — the Shiites, the Sunnis and Kurds.

I notice that the disturbance in Southern Sudan may be coming to a head — interesting to see how the various political factions divide on this one.

10. Les
    July 28, 2010, 1:16 pm

Shlomo Sand makes it very clear that the Israeli eduction system, through college level, teaches Jewish (Israeli) history solely to glorify Jews while other nations’ and peoples’ histories continue to be taught critically. How striking that Israel has borrowed the victimization model from Nazi Germany in which every last deed was justified because the Germans were victims of other peoples evil doing in the past and the present. Freilich is a true believer, a successful product of the Israeli school system.

11. potsherd
    July 28, 2010, 1:29 pm

Reminds me of “Bob Dylan’s” Neighborhood Bully

Odes to exceptionalism.

12. sherbrsi
    July 28, 2010, 1:47 pm

More Jewish self-depreciation. What else is new? Kill a Palestinian here, claim victim-hood there. It’s second nature to Zionism and Israeli culture.

July 28, 2010, 3:11 pm

sherbrsi, when April rolls around, I take all the depreciation I can get!

13. rmokhtar
    July 28, 2010, 1:48 pm

Shoot and sing.

14. radii
    July 28, 2010, 4:12 pm

Time for a song! (it’s been a while)

Yedida
    Yedida
    You ain’t so sweeta

Freiliching your lies
    With those weeping eyes
    so full of
    Crocodile tears

No one cares about Jewish blood?
    To the tune of over three billion a year, America does
    It is such a canard,
    One might think you a f*cktard

Yet Ziopropaganda is the aim
    Invoking age-old suffering is your game
    What a normal human would feel
    is … shame

But you’ve got tales to tell, hasbara stories to sell
    More olive trees to fell

Yedida, Yedida
    You ain’t so sweeta
    With your willful ignorance
    Your lying reprehense

America should really dispense
    … with you, o ziomurderers

Always the victim, yet you always hold the sword
    Blood always on your hands, official zio-victims
    It’s a neat trick, for so long it’s has us all floored
    But no more Yedida, your words are hollow
    No new recruits will follow

The truth is out, you’ve been found out
    The world has grown weary of your endless lies

15. Citizen
    July 28, 2010, 4:26 pm

Here’s another paranoid song for Israel; check out the lyrics! The lyrics are followed by a bit of info on Yedida, the 22 yr old lark:
    link to talkgaza.com

16. joer
    July 28, 2010, 5:02 pm

Besides the loathsome sentiments expressed in the song, I have got to point out that is one of the worst songs I have ever heard-on a purely musical level. It sounds like it was written for extra credit for a sixth grade music class. The words are forced and the faux bootiful sound of the music itself has nothing to it. I wonder if Israel is having trouble getting real musicians to sing its praises.

17. Citizen
    July 28, 2010, 5:21 pm

So, on a related note, what do normal Americans think of Muslims?

link to youtube.com

BTW, while you’re at YouTube see what you get if you plug in the YouTube search box “What do normal Americans think of Jews?” Or “What do normal
    Americans think of Israel?”

• joer
      July 28, 2010, 5:46 pm

I got this one for “What do Americans think about Israel?”

link to youtube.com

It’s really just a man on the street quiz about current events. I think some of the people who comment here will be surprised at the depth of ignorance of some of these people. I think quizzes like this one put all those polls about public opinion in perspective.

• Citizen
        July 28, 2010, 5:50 pm

They won’t be surprised at all if they have any fairly regular contact with
        average Americans.

• joer
        July 28, 2010, 6:03 pm

Maybe, but there seems to be a lot of wishful thinking about “Americans starting to wake up”. I don’t see it. It takes a lot of work to find the truth about the Mideast, first because there is so much bad information out there-second, because researching the history of the Mideast does not come easily to most people here. I guess the good news is that not many people are listening to Thomas Friedman either. If Americans need to know the history of the Mideast, it has to be fed to them in a way they can understand.

• potsherd
        July 28, 2010, 6:11 pm

The waking of Americans will not come as the result of more or better information. The American sheeple don’t do information.

It will come as the consequence of some great and cataclysmic shock, for which they will be ready to find a scapegoat.

• joer
        July 28, 2010, 7:03 pm

That’s a pretty grim vision…and usually the weakest people are picked as the scapegoat…just look who is being targeted now because of the bad economy: Mexican busboys and housekeepers. Everything you say may come to pass, but it is incumbent on us to try to prevent it.

• hayate
        July 28, 2010, 8:58 pm

I’ll have to agree with you, potsherd. The americans bought pet rocks by the millions back in the 80’s (both literally and metaphorically). And they’ve always had a soft spot for the racism of the day. Now, thanks to Jewish zionist marketing/mass psychological, propaganda, and entertainment skills, the oligarchy ruling america now has the ultimate dumbed down herd. All they need now is a regular supply of Oz sheepdogs to keep the ami herd where they want it.

• eljay
        July 28, 2010, 6:08 pm

>> It’s really just a man on the street quiz about current events.

That’s some hilarious stuff! :-D

• joer
        July 28, 2010, 7:05 pm

How about the guy who asked which ones are throwing the rocks, the Palestinians or the Israelis? I guess he doesn’t read the op ed page of the Times.

• Mohammed Rabah Suliman
        July 28, 2010, 7:47 pm

what is hilarious exactly? killing Palestinians and committing all sorts of relentless crimes? or reporting that? the very act of treachery on my side? or regretting it? None of that looks hilarious for me.

• eljay
        July 28, 2010, 7:50 pm

>> what is hilarious exactly?

I see that you missed the point of the video, which was to highlight the cluelessness of the “average American”. It’s the cluelessness that’s amusing, not necessarily the things about which they are clueless.

• Bumblebye
        July 28, 2010, 8:04 pm

They’re not referencing your video, but some you-tube clips of a comedy show linked in comments above, where the presenters go out to do an opinion survey which displays remarkable ignorance among members of the American public. Your piece is brilliant, and certainly not being mocked.

• Bumblebye
        July 28, 2010, 9:07 pm

My above to Mohammed Rabah Suliman ^

• rmokhtar
        July 29, 2010, 3:32 am

Well no wonder:

Planet of the Arabs, by Jacquiline Salloum:

18. Chris S
    July 28, 2010, 7:38 pm

Did you find this on The Onion? I lol’d at the Turkish demonizing, I wonder if it is enough to sour the Turk-Israeli nuclear espionage racket. It seems like only last year Philip Giraldi did that interview in AmCon with Sibel Edmonds, and now the Turks are a**holes. Don’t ever turn your back on Israel.

19. Chaos4700
    July 28, 2010, 8:01 pm

• hayate
      July 28, 2010, 9:23 pm

“Gee, I can’t imagine why the boycott of Israeli cultural expressions abroad is gaining momentum…”

:D

But seriously, Jewish israel really is a wasteland with regard to entertainment. Music, film, theater, art, all aspects. Whatever quality is there is mostly Palestinian, it seems, and extremely repressed out of the mainstream israeli art and entertainment industry. They’ve set it up like nazi Germany. Jewish israel is void. There’s nothing there but shoddy hasbara. This severe lack of quality among Jewish israel is ironic when one considers the massive and talented contributions Jewish people have made in art and entertainment in much of the rest of the world. But then israel is a “settler society”. These have no interest in art beyond it’s usefulness in manipulating others. So they emphasize technicians, rather than creators, and real art languishes in the alleys among the “untouchables”.

In fact, israelis/zionists also have pretty much trashed much of the magnificent history and archaeology of their region (and don’t forget the trashing of Iraq’s museums – very much a zionist/israeli inspired programme of malicious neglect and criminal profiteering). Israel is black market central for archaeological artifacts. These people have the nazi’s attitude towards the past. Literally. If they cant use it to manipulate the present, then trash it or sell it.

20. Shingo
    July 28, 2010, 9:04 pm

If you want to see a really superb bit of songwriting and musicianship (especially pertaining to this subject) then check thsi out.

Dan Bull – Nothing On Jews [an open letter to Benjamin Netanyahu]
    link to youtube.com

Just consider how this contrasts with this trash from Yedida.

21. Yousef M. Aljamal
    July 29, 2010, 11:32 am

If I were not Palestinian, I would believe her!. She uses very beatiful words to attract who know nothing about Palestine and who are decieved by the Israeli propaganda. Still, nowadays, it’s not an easy task ” as it was at past” to tell the people the story that they want as we have many other sources that people follow to know the real truth in Palestine. The image of Israel as a group of victims who escaped from the Nazis in Germany had totally changed. The big problem is that they still act as victims, but people around the world became more aware of what is going on and they became familiar of who the right are and who the wrong are.