When will Americans see our July 4 liberation story in others’ struggles?

flags

Driving back from my in-laws, I listened to Eliza Gilkyson’s modern ballad about the life-and-death struggle for freedom our brave ancestors experienced during the Revolutionary War, and I thought about Palestine. I’m not the only one. Max Blumenthal has a post from Palestine on the way that Independence Day has resonated for this farmer, Mohammed Amireh, and others in occupied Ni’lin. Oh and check this out: Amy Teibel of AP covers a new B’Tselem report showing that Israeli settlements control 42 percent of the land in the occupied West Ban, including this farmer’s land.

1. Richard Witty
    July 6, 2010, 7:37 am

I saw a brief right-wing video of an Israeli supporter at a pro-Palestinian demonstration, harrassed (a familiar sight).

The film-maker spoke to a Palestinian woman who when asked about a fair two-state solution declared “There is no Israel. It is a fiction. There is only a Jewish minority in Palestine.”

Is there a justice possible, an acceptance? Or only advantage?

• Richard Witty
      July 6, 2010, 7:38 am

In the revolutionary war the indigenous of the region were nearly equally split, actually more favored the English.

• Chaos4700
        July 6, 2010, 9:15 am

Actually, the indigenous people were overwhelmingly for white European imperialists to just go home. It’s funny that in your desperate contortions to protect Israel, you now have to debase the indigenous people of the North American continent as well.

Are there any brown people you don’t dislike, Witty?

• potsherd
      July 6, 2010, 9:12 am

Acceptance would be recognition of injustice.

2. KenDavis
    July 6, 2010, 7:48 am

To funny, Philip all you do is think about Palestinians and how to denigrate Israel.

• potsherd
      July 6, 2010, 9:16 am

More appropriate are the words of Martin Luther King, Jr, modified for the occasion: “I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Palestine. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. “

• potsherd
        July 6, 2010, 9:36 am

Damn this software. My post was not intended as a reply to KD, who is not worthy of notice.

3. MHughes976
    July 6, 2010, 1:17 pm

Well, from my prejudiced British point of view I’d like to say it was never as simple as ‘Americans good, British bad’. I do think that the American Revolution was an important stage in the slow emergence of the idea of human rights existing regardless of race and religion and that this idea is being set at nought in Palestine.