The ethnic cleansing of Palestine

(Video: guardian.co.uk)

Neve Gordon writes in The Guardian about arriving in the Bedouin village of al-Arakib as Israeli bulldozers finish razing it to the ground:

The signs of destruction were immediately evident. I first noticed the chickens and geese running loose near a bulldozed house, and then saw another house and then another one, all of them in rubble. A few children were trying to find a shaded spot to hide from the scorching desert sun, while behind them a stream of black smoke rose from the burning hay. The sheep, goats and the cattle were nowhere to be seen – perhaps because the police had confiscated them.

Scores of Bedouin men were standing on a yellow hill, sharing their experiences from the early morning hours, while all around them uprooted olive trees lay on the ground. A whole village comprising between 40 and 45 houses had been completely razed in less than three hours.

I suddenly experienced deja vu: an image of myself walking in the rubbles of a destroyed village somewhere on the outskirts of the Lebanese city of Sidon emerged. It was over 25 years ago, during my service in the Israeli paratroopers. But in Lebanon the residents had all fled long before my platoon came, and we simply walked in the debris. There was something surreal about the experience, which prevented me from fully understanding its significance for several years. At the time, it felt like I was walking on the moon.

This time the impact of the destruction sank in immediately. Perhaps because the 300 people who resided in al-Arakib, including their children, were sitting in the rubble when I arrived, and their anguish was evident; or perhaps because the village is located only 10 minutes from my home in Be’er Sheva and I drive past it every time I go to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem; or perhaps because the Bedouins are Israeli citizens, and I suddenly understood how far the state is ready to go to accomplish its objective of Judaising the Negev region; what I witnessed was, after all, an act of ethnic cleansing.

Here is another video that was posted on Promised Land:

And here are some amazing images from Activestills:

al aruqib 3 0

al aruqib 9 0

al aruqib 12 0

1. alec
    July 28, 2010, 7:33 pm

I can’t believe my eyes. Black clad storm troopers driving people from their homes and bulldozing them.

To be honest, outside of Star Wars what this most looks like is WWII footage I’ve seen from the Eastern Front.

• MRW
      July 29, 2010, 7:13 am

Heartbreakingly criminal and horrifying.

Criminal pigs do this. Cochons.

How anyone can justify this is in 2010 as an acceptable Jewish thing to do is staggering to me. That any American Jewish group can go along with this is a disgrace and a shame. Look at those children’s eyes losing their home. The IDF bulldozed their houses? For what? Zionism? Because of the Holocaust 65 years ago? Because they’ve got their hate on for The Other?

• eljay
        July 29, 2010, 7:21 am

>> The IDF bulldozed their houses? For what? Zionism? Because of the Holocaust 65 years ago? Because they’ve got their hate on for The Other?

Nuances. “Generation to generation” fear. Lack of hugs. Destabilizing narratives. Self self-determination. Maximalism. Tiny blue dot in a sea of green. A covenant with gawd. No “better arguments”. Remember the Holocaust!

July 29, 2010, 9:59 am

It was a photograph something like the scene displayed on the screen which first made me question Zionism, which before than I had envisioned as something like Jewish back-to-the-land-hippies.
      I can still see the photograph in my head.
      That’s when I realised there was no magic Jewish way to get a country which wasn’t yours, you had to do it the old-fashioned way, you had to steal it.

July 29, 2010, 10:00 am

That was a photo from the 67 war or just after.

• Mythbuster
        July 29, 2010, 11:09 am

You don’t really need to steal a Western inclusive democracy anymore. You can just declare it. But then you need to have a State of All Your Citizens. And that sucks if you are an Ethnic Supremacist.

The stealing is required in this case because G od “gave” the land to the mythological patriarchs before he asked the Palestinians to move.

• eljay
        July 29, 2010, 5:16 pm

>> I love ribbing fundies with this paradox: If God is love, then why didn’t he arrive with Uhauls and a map to the Palestinians own land of Milk and Honey? I mean if having Jews in the Holy Land is necessary for God’s Divine Plan, then is offering a relocation bonus to the natives too much to ask?

The answer: “The Lord works in mysterious ways!” Ta-dah!! Boy, that was too easy! ;-)

(link to rickpdx.files.wordpress.com)

2. potsherd
    July 28, 2010, 7:46 pm

Volvo.

• annie
      July 28, 2010, 8:09 pm

that is exactly what i logged in to say

• hayate
      July 28, 2010, 8:45 pm

Volvo?

• potsherd
        July 28, 2010, 8:56 pm

The bulldozer shown knocking down the home is a Volvo. The logo on the front is bright and visible.

• Antidote
        July 28, 2010, 9:18 pm

yes, the bulldozer is a Volvo. So? I don’t get it either

• hayate
        July 28, 2010, 9:29 pm

Thanks, potsherd.

• Taxi
        July 29, 2010, 12:10 am

Means boycott Volvo (AND Caterpillar).

• Citizen
        July 29, 2010, 7:56 am

Both. The dozer itself said CAT, while the plow apparatus said VOLVO?

• potsherd
        July 29, 2010, 8:56 am

Means at least writing Volvo to demand they explain themselves.

July 29, 2010, 10:02 am

That’s right. Volvo is a big manufacturer. Caterpillar we know deals direct with Israel. The Volvo stuff may have come from anywhere. Used? Or, it may not.

3. azythos
    July 28, 2010, 8:02 pm

“the Bedouins are Israeli citizens”

This is for the Zionist “one state proposal”. Make no mistake.

4. RoHa
    July 28, 2010, 8:36 pm

Arab citizens of Israel have full equality and human rights and they can build houses in Jerusalem and eat cherry tomatoes and are not discriminated against at all and anyone who say otherwise is an anti-Semite.

• lobewyper
      July 28, 2010, 8:55 pm

Thanks for this. for a moment there, I was starting to wonder if Israeli society was a real, honest-to-goodness democracy…

• RoHa
        July 28, 2010, 8:59 pm

Of course it is. It is the only democracy in the Middle East and has sexy beach girls.

• Mythbuster
        July 29, 2010, 11:10 am

Intermarriage is helping with that.

5. hayate
    July 28, 2010, 8:44 pm

I think it’s obvious the israeli society is a thoroughly criminal society.

6. bijou
    July 28, 2010, 9:00 pm

As background, here is discussion between two “differing” Israeli experts about demographic trends. It’s from 2007 and somewhat dated, but it serves well enough to convey the all-pervasive mindset: Non-Jews are so much of a threat and so undesirable that all means and ways must be used to minimize their presence and percentage in the state… I hope our resident translator can verify whether this translation is complete and accurate…

as you watch, recall that they are talking about non-Jews who are citizens of the country and whose ancestors have lived there for generations… Also note that in here the discussants appear to discount Gaza already in 2007 — to take it off the table as part of the demographic equation if I am not mistaken in my understanding, and that is fairly stunning.

And then as an updated accompaniment to this, view this brief 2010 film produced by Adalah: Targeted Citizen.

7. Avi
    July 28, 2010, 10:29 pm

Well, it’s good to know that the Zionist Jews of the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Denmark support the ethnic cleansing of human beings.

But whoever said that Zionists cared about the negative image they give Jews?

A Zionist would sell his own mother before he acknowledged that Israel is bad for Jews.

Hey, don’t come crying when Israel’s crimes catch up with you simply because you dared display a Menorah in the window.

Meanwhile, any criticism of Israel in Germany will be summarily dismissed by a local rabbi as “Growing anti-Semitism within the Muslim community” or some such nonsense.

No one’s buying that shtick anymore.

8. gloopygal
    July 28, 2010, 11:11 pm

Hey guys, this response to a “friend’s” blog post raised my blood pressure, but I can’t respond there because too many Zio-bots will be ganging up against me. These people make Witty, WJ et al look progressive. If anyone wants the target practice, please snark on this and make me feel better:

Original post entitled “Disgusting Palestinian Child Abuse”
    link to youtube.com;

Comment #1:
    There’s American indians haven’t signed the treaty.

Lakota, Apache, Nez Perce.

Open season on white folks with them: guys I’ve gotten on with have told me it was OK to steal from a white person, abuse a white woman sexually, kill one if you could get away with it.

War’s been over more than a hundred years.

They don’t care.

Response from commenter #2:
    Truly amazes me how myopic and disconnected from reality people are when they ignore just how disgusting and wrong it is to teach kids that violence of this sort is not just okay, but ordained by their higher power. This is TOTALLY child abuse, no different from teaching your kids that beating up mommy or selling drugs or shooting people in your hood when you have a beef is okay. If I saw someone doing this while I was on the clock, I’d have to call child protective and wouldn’t hesitate in doing it. It’s such out of control cult-like behavior in Gaza that the only things I can think of to compare it to are Scientology and Jonestown.

Oh, and a p.s., only because it’s been brought up. A close friend of mine is Lakota – he would never rape a woman or do anything of that sort, but he does carry a blade legally and will use it if you threaten him or anyone else — including white people, including if you’re about to rape a woman. Really great to stereotype a whole people based on what a few assholes say. That aside, the war between the US government and the indigenous of this land never ended, not when the FBI comes onto the rez to harass people and BIA promises and rules are violated by our government over and over. But regardless, comparing the situation among the indigenous of the United States to the conflict between Israel and Gaza/West Bank is apples and oranges. Europeans did steal the land from the Lakota, Iroquois, Navajo, etc. Israel never stole ANYTHING from anyone else.

Can’t figure out which is more dangerous… teaching children that mass murder is blessed and condoned by their higher power, especially in the name of bigotry, or people being too full of it and lazy to read a fucking history book before shooting their fool mouths off.

• Avi
      July 29, 2010, 12:20 am

slagbom, aban, gloopygal,

The owners of this website should block your IP address.

I urge you to keep all your pathetic “white supremacist” websites, blogs and garbage out of here.

I’m sure you can find someone who’ll entertain your deranged and unstable mental condition on some chatroom in a backwater corner of the intertubes. OK?

• MRW
      July 29, 2010, 7:33 am

Gloopygal links to a youtube of a bunch of Israeli kids wearing yarmulkas and singing something that the captions are supposed to make us believe is about Palestine. More Israeli lying. More Israeli bullshit. And I agree with Avi: take your white supremacist and low rent horseshit elsewhere.

Israel never stole ANYTHING from anyone else. They just stole Bedouin homes. They stole Palestine homes in 1948. Pigs.

• gloopygal
        July 29, 2010, 8:21 am

Avi, I don’t know who slagbom or abam are.

You guys managed to simultaneously hurt my feelings and make me feel better at the same time. But you’re right, that blog probably isn’t worth my time or hypertension. What bothered me is the person posting was my friend, and commenter number two was a former friend who’s a big PEP and her defense of American Indians and simultaneous dismissal of Palestinians really bothered me. She dumped me because I opposed the genocide of Palestinians.

I wondered why Palestinians would stage such a crazy song – it makes sense now.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2010, 8:39 am

MRW,

The kids are not Israeli (unless they are Palestinian-Israeli), and the ones wearing yarmulkas (dressed in fatigues and carrying guns) are obviously dressed up to represent Israeli soldiers. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the translation or the circumstances surrounding the clip, but there is little point in denying that such rhetoric is not uncommon among Palestinians, and is even taught to children. It might be worth contextualising (culturally, politically, religiously etc.), and should certainly be condemned when used to demonise Palestinians, Arabs and Muslims, but there’s no point in denying it exists.

July 29, 2010, 10:09 am

Shmuel, may G-d preserve your typing fingers! May your hard drive never crash. Angels should watch over your Internet connection.
        are obviously dressed up to represent Israeli soldiers”

You can supply context that very few others can, (not to mention the language skills. May you be chained to this blog with hoops of steel.

One week’s vacation the first year, two week’s after that, maximum of five weeks accrued.

• Avi
        July 29, 2010, 3:10 pm

One of the injustices of the conflict is that Hebrew words and terminology have made it into the daily lexicon of American English, whereas Arabic terminology has, as well, but in negative context.

So when an American sees the word “martyrs”, he immediately thinks of suicide bombers.

However, in Palestinian narrative, a “martyr” is anyone who is killed by — or as a result of — the Israeli occupation. So when a little girl is shot dead on the balcony of her home by an Israeli sniper, she is said to have been “martyred”.

As for the “going to heaven” bit, it’s not some monstrous evil rhetoric.

In American society, if a child asks, “Where is mommy now?”, the reply is usually, “Mommy’s in heaven, sweetie. She’s with the angels”.

See, it’s all so ‘sinister’. Those ‘evil’ Americans.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2010, 3:18 pm

As I wrote, Avi, understanding the context is important. That’s not the same as saying the clip must be a fake.

• Avi
        July 29, 2010, 5:33 pm

Shmuel July 29, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I think we’re in agreement.

• gloopygal
        July 29, 2010, 7:58 pm

Not that I’m one to belabor a point – OK I *am* one to belabor a point. I apologize, this might not have been the appropriate place to post my rant, but I needed to vent. Everytime I try to write something about Palestine on LJ I get shot down – my friends don’t support me – and then I read Zio-friend’s blog and his wanna-be Jewish-converting girlfriend and it really makes me physically sick. During Cast Lead these two people said disgusting things on Facebook and whenever I objected they ganged up on me. I can’t link to the offending blog cause this guy is my so-called friend and it’s bad netiquette and whatever I do to him he can do back to me, but I don’t know, I needed to share with someone. I went ahead and linked to this video and used stronger language than I normally do – just watch – the guy who posted the “disgusting” video will come after me in the comments section. His Indian-loving Palestinian-hating wanna-be gf won’t comment because she doesn’t read my journal any more but HE’LL say something, just you watch.

9. syvanen
    July 29, 2010, 12:06 am

I think I have said this before — these are not Palestinians, they are Bedouin. They allied themselves with the Israelis against the Palestinians. Read the history of Bedouin trackers hunting down Palestinians trying to return to their homes. That was 60 years back. Today the Zionist need Bedouin land for themselves. Sorry Bedouin, what were you expecting?

• Avi
      July 29, 2010, 12:16 am

They allied themselves with the Israelis against the Palestinians.

Some Bedouin, very few in fact, volunteer to serve in the Israeli military. Those who serve usually belong to a certain tribe within the Bedouin population. Either way, they are Palestinian and they’ve been there before Israel was founded.

For you to condemn them like that is disingenuous. To which history are you referring in particular?

• syvanen
        July 29, 2010, 12:39 am

Avi I guess I am relying on stories that Israelis have reported. Actually I am not condemning them for their actions. Just pointing out that the native people who collaborated with the colonialist, in the final analysis, have no more rights than any other non-Jewish people in the land of Palestine. I am not condemning them, rather just pointing out what is in store for them and I suppose any Palestinian willing to ‘collaborate’ with the Zionist.

• tree
        July 29, 2010, 1:18 am

Many Bedouins were uprooted along with the other Palestinian Arabs in what became Israel in 1948. They have been under attack in Israel for decades. This is not new.

Eighty thousand Palestinian Bedouin Israelis live in unrecognised villages in the Negev desert in the south of Israel. The villages are deprived of basic services like housing, water, electricity, education and health care. With the adoption of the Israeli Planning and Construction Law in 1965, 45 villages in the Negev were not declared as existing. Recently, Bangani Ngeleza and Adri Nieuwhof visited the region. They write about the serious consequences this has had for villagers in these “unrecognised villages”.

The majority of the villages existed at the time of the creation of Israel in 1948 and some were established in the early 1960’s when Israel evacuated Bedouins from northern Negev to the south of Beersheba. Comparisons between the experiences of Palestinian Bedouins in the unrecognised villages and black South Africans in the informal settlements in apartheid South Africa is striking. Apartheid policies in South Africa were adopted to ensure the priviliged position of white South Africans. Israeli government policies are targeted to secure the priviliged position of Jewish Israelis. A government that divides its people and deprives part of its citizens of basic human rights does not show a serious commitment to peace.

The 80,000 Palestinian Bedouins living in unrecognised villages in the south of Israel are citizens of Israel. They have the right to vote in national elections and when they have a job or operate a business it is their duty to pay taxes. The majority have lived for generations in villages on their land in the Negev. Following the adoption of the Planning and Construction Law of 1965, the villages did not appear on any Israeli map. They were not recognised by any official government and ignored by all government planning projects.

As there is no municipal authority that governs the villages, the Bedouin Palestinians cannot vote or be elected for municipal representation. Villagers are deprived of basic infrastructure and services like roads, sewage, running water, electricity, clinics, kindergartens and welfare services. The families in the villages mostly live in shacks under zinc roofs where the temperature can reach as high as 55 degrees Celcius. There is no authority that can decide upon permits for the construction of properties. The building of houses in the villages is therefore unlicensed and they are at all times under threat of demolition. A former captain of the Negev police remarked that “there is an imbalance since there is only a destroying authority and no authority issuing construction permits”

more….

link to electronicintifada.net

• tree
        July 29, 2010, 1:26 am

And from Dukium=The Negev Coexistence Forum for Civil Equality:

Before 1948, it is estimated that 65,000-90,000 Bedouins lived in the Negev area (Falah 1989). The main source of livelihood for this semi-nomadic population was cattle, herds, rain-fed agriculture, and commerce (Yiftachel 2004; Meir 1997). During Israel’s War of Independence in 1948, 80-85% of the Naqab Bedouins population became refugees. Like other indigenous peoples, the Naqab-Negev Bedouins underwent forced relocation – the 11,000 that remained inside Israel’s borders were moved in the 1950s and 60s from their ancestral lands into a restricted zone called the siyag (closure), located in the northeastern Negev and known for its low agricultural fertility (Hamdan 2005; Yiftachel 2004). This area constituted only 10 percent of the Bedouins land prior to 1948 (Abu Sa’ad 2004). Joining the six tribes that already dwelled in this area were twelve additional tribes from various areas of the Negev. Because no permanent building (stone or concrete) was permitted by the authorities in the siyag, most residents were forced to erect shacks and tents.

The Negev Bedouins, like the rest of the Arabs remaining within Israel’s borders, lived under military rule until 1966. During this time, Bedouins life was dramatically transformed: “From controllers of the desert region, they became fringe dwellers of a growing, modernizing Beer-Sheva city region” (Yiftachel 2004, p. 12). With less space for agriculture and grazing, their source of livelihood was disrupted. In addition, because of restrictions imposed by the military government, they were not permitted to compete with the Jewish labor market of the new Israeli State. During these 18 years, the processes of dislocation, subsequent sedentarization and partial modernization worked to destroy the indigenous Bedouins culture and way of life. In fact, this was the Israeli policy:

“We should transform the Bedouins into an urban proletariat… Indeed, this will be a radical move which means that the Bedouin would not live on his land with his herds, but would become an urban person… His children would be accustomed to a father who wears trousers, does not carry a Shabaria [the traditional Bedouin knife] and does not search for vermin in public. This would be a revolution, but it may be fixed within two generations. Without coercion but with governmental direction… this phenomenon of the Bedouins will disappear”. (Moshe Dayan, Ha’aretz interview, 31 July 1963).

Today, the Negev Bedouins number approximately 155,000 people. This population can be divided into two groups, based on their living arrangements. Roughly 50% of the Bedouins population – about 76,000 people – live in a large number of unrecognized villages. What is this policy of unrecognition? These villages do not appear on Israeli maps or governmental planning documents, have no road signs indicating their existence, and are denied basic services and infrastructure, including paved roads, water, garbage collection, electricity, and schools and the people living there has no municipality so they can participate local election and therefore the government does not allocate part of the budget it allocates to every other citizen in Israel. It is illegal to build permanent structures in these villages – those that do so risk heavy fines and home demolitions. A typical village consists of between 60 to 600 families – a population of between 500 and 5000 – living in tents and shacks (Regional Council for Unrecognized Villages Report 2003). Some of these villages existed before the establishment of the Israeli State, and others were created in accordance with Military Government’s orders in the 1950s and 60s. Many residents of these villages, who received permission from the State to live in certain areas during the 1950s, are now, more than 50 years later, receiving expulsion orders and seeing their homes demolished.

The other Bedouins population is concentrated in eight Government-planned townships set up since the 1960s in the siyag area: Hura, Kseifa, Laquia, Arara, Rahat, Segev-Shalom and Tel-Sheva and the new township of Tarabin (Southern to Rahat). While these townships were intended to create the conditions necessary to provide basic services to this population and are heavily subsidized, they were planned without giving any consideration to the traditional Bedouin way of life. Consequently, the forced urbanization of this population has been disastrous: unemployment is high, and the Bedouins townships rank among the country’s 10 poorest municipalities. In short, “the planned towns evolved quickly into pockets of deprivation, unemployment, dependency, crime and social tensions” (Yiftachel 2004). The Bedouins no longer had the space to raise crops and livestock to support themselves, which caused further economic distress. Additionally, the Bedouins townships lack the infrastructure that similar Jewish settlements in the Negev have: except for the largest city, Rahat, these towns lack sources of employment, public transportation, banks, post offices, public libraries, and places of entertainment (Abu-Sa’ad 2004)

link to dukium.org

• Avi
        July 29, 2010, 3:41 am

Avi I guess I am relying on stories that Israelis have reported.

Israeli propaganda.

Divide and control is the name of the game.

Israel has long sought to split the Palestinian people into several groups, assigning each group manufactured ‘formal’ status, as though each were ethnically distinct.

For example, officially, Israel assigns the following categories of “ethnicity” to its non-Jewish population: There are the Druze, the “Arabs” (Palestinians in Israel), and the Bedouin.

Some of these distinctions are based on religion, while others are based on ethnicity. There is no consistency.

Hence, a Druze from the village of Daliyet Al-Karmel, for example, would have the “DRUZE” annotation in his ID card.

A Muslim/Christian from Nazareth would have the “Arab” annotation in his ID card.

A Bedouin (Muslims) from Rahat in the south, would have the “Bedouin” annotation in his ID card. Here, the “Bedouin” group refers to the group’s lifestyle, a way of life, unlike the previous categories in which ethnicity and religion were the distinguishing factors. This goes back to that artificial designation I mentioned earlier.

Now the reality is that all three “groups” are actually Arab and all three groups are Palestinian.

Religiously speaking, the Druze are a splinter sect of Islam and its members speak Arabic. The Druze community in the region is scattered throughout several countries, including Syria, the occupied Golan, northern Israel and southern Lebanon. And they all speak Arabic.

The Bedouin are Palestinian nomads. They, too, speak Arabic. The vast majority of Bedouin people are Muslims.

Israel could have gone a step further and pretended as though the Christian Arabs are a distinct ethnicity within the Palestinian Arab community. But, Israel had no need for that.

Why?

The Druze are primarily in the north, the Bedouin are in the south, and the “Arabs” are in the north and central parts of Israel.

Before Israel divided them into superficial groups, they were all Palestinians.

But, in an effort to better control this non-Jewish population, Israel sought to contain each population block within three distinct geographic areas as described above.

The Palestinians that received the “Arab” designation form the majority of the Palestinian community within Israel. So this is the “group” that Israel felt it had to contain the most. Thus, “Arabs” are excluded from military service, whereas the “Druze” are required to serve, the “Bedouin” can volunteer and some do, but they are not required.

• Avi
        July 29, 2010, 5:30 pm

I should add a slight correction to my post above. The distinctions between Bedouin, Arab and Druze in state issued ID cards were removed in 2003.

That doesn’t mean, however, that the state suddenly recognizes all three categories of minorities as belonging to one Palestinian community.

• potsherd
        July 29, 2010, 8:46 am

The number has been increasing. And the issue of service in the IDF has been contentious within the community. It is just about their sole route of advancement in the society, yet many do condemn it as treason to their own people, who gain nothing from greedy Israel in return.

• thankgodimatheist
      July 29, 2010, 1:09 am

Syvanen
      Bedouins are Palestinian Arabs..True, many have collaborated with the enemy and served in the military for reasons that are complex to explain now but the term bedouin define more a way of life/life style than an ethnic group..I’m in contact with a Bedouin who’s a staunch anti zionist. Like the Druze, they’re not all of the same opinion.But today, Israel may have lost big as this segment of the Israeli entity feels more and more alienated..zionism is digging its own grave..

• sherbrsi
        July 29, 2010, 8:08 am

.zionism is digging its own grave..

More proof that Zionism is bereft of any values beside Jewish domination over Palestine. Look on how it turns on its own “allies.” When squeezed out of any use, the Israelis discard them like their worst enemies. First it was the Turks. Now it is the Bedouins. Who will be next? Crevald says that European capitals are being pointed at with Israeli nuclear weapons. Israel’s lobbyists are already signaling dismay that the American’s are losing their utility to the Zionist project.

The point is clear: stand in the way of Zionists and invoke destruction as if you are Amalek itself. It matters not whether you directly challenge Israel (Ahmedinajad), or not (Saddam). It doesn’t matter to the Zionists if you are the defiant Palestinian Arab or the collaborating Palestinian Bedouin. When Israel is done with you, you are a yeshu (an enemy of the Jewish people whose name and memory is to be obliterated from the heavens).

• Mythbuster
        July 29, 2010, 11:20 am

What do you think would happen to Israel if it ever used a nuclear device on Europe?

Van Creveld is just regurgitating the “rabid dog” meme to cozy his way back into the Israeli elites. He used to write good stuff, but notice how he’s disappeared from the blogs after the “we could hit Rome” comment.

Apparently, we white people don’t appreciate anyone implying that nuclear devices might be used on us.

10. jonah
    July 29, 2010, 4:28 am

Some background knowledge for the record:

link to jpost.com

• Avi
      July 29, 2010, 4:40 am

This isn’t background information ‘for the record’.

This is a JPost article from Rupert Murdoch’s rag in Israel.

And the content of the article deceives gullible readers into believing that these Bedouin villages are in some violation of zoning laws.

The fact is that Israel has been displacing and razing Bedouin homes for decades.

P.S. You need to download the updated version of the Megaphone Hasbara manual. You’re clearly working with the old version. It’s not subtle enough.

• Avi
      July 29, 2010, 4:57 am

Here.

You can get the software directly from the source:

link to giyus.org

P.S. Make sure it’s compatible with your operating system.

• MRW
        July 29, 2010, 7:36 am

Avi, you’re the best. Thank you for your diligence.

July 29, 2010, 10:14 am

“Avi, you’re the best. Thank you for your diligence.”

Don’t get too full of yourself and make inordinate salary demands, Shmuel. You can be replaced.

Bless you all. The context and additional info in comments from those who have experience in the are or do research to find out is one of the best features of Mondoweiss.
        Gotta run.

• Surcouf
      July 29, 2010, 5:55 am

I had posted this on a previous thread and I am reposting it to help you educate yourself on the subject. This is ‘real’ background knowledge from Human Rights Watch. Feel free to comment on the content, after you’ve read it.

Some facts about the Negev Bedouins:
      Bedouins population is the youngest in Israeli society, with a natural annual growth rate of 5.5 percent. For those of you not familiar with population statistics, such growth rate results in the total population doubling every 13 years. About 54 percent of the Bedouin population is younger than 14. – Source : jweekly dot com
      Total population is estimated in the lows of 155 000 to highs of 185 000.
      For this reason the Bedouin are seen as a demographic threat to the maintenance of a Jewish majority in the Negev region.

Human Rights Watch has a very revealing report on the treatment of Negev Bedouins by the state of Israel since 1948. It is 128 pages long but it provides in horrific details the systematic discrimination visited upon them by their own government – remember these are Israeli citizens, but, alas, not Jewish. Had they been Jewish, their government would have lavished them with a $600 million project, named Blueprint Negev, for the establishment of Aliyah immigrants.

HRW Report – Off the map

• Surcouf
        July 29, 2010, 5:56 am

My comment was obviously meant for jonah.

• sherbrsi
      July 29, 2010, 7:43 am

Yes, blame bureaucracy for it. All of Palestine was razed by these bloodthirsty plunderers because of zoning laws. Why don’t you also post of the house demolitions in EJ, and how Arabs are completely free to build homes there as per Hasbara and the Jerusalem mayor? Also give the background information that the rejection rate for Palestinian application for residency permits is 96%, so that the criminal invading thief decides what is legal or not.

• RoHa
        July 29, 2010, 8:09 am

sherbrsi, do I have to remind you again that Israeli Arabs have equal rights and there is no discrimination of any kind, not even against Arabs who use filthy Arab lies to take advantage of the innocence and naiveity of pure-hearted virgin Jewish girls* so that they can slake their foul bestial lusts on the trembling bodies of those unfortunate maidens?

*Mooser told me all Jewish girls are virgins. Even the married ones.

July 29, 2010, 7:23 pm

“*Mooser told me all Jewish girls are virgins. Even the married ones.”

Whoa! As far as I know, all women are virgins. And if they tell me different, I have a hard time believing them. I have two younger sisters, you know, and why would any woman be different from them, or my Mom?

• RoHa
        July 29, 2010, 7:31 pm

Mooser, did I spell “naiveity” correctly?

And, yes, incredible though it may seem, some Gentile women do …er… it. And some even do it again.

• Shmuel
      July 29, 2010, 8:14 am

For some serious background knowledge, see: Oren Yiftachel, Ethnocracy: Land and Identity Politics in Israel/Palestine, particularly chapters 6 (“The Spatial Foundation: The Israeli Land System”) and 8 (“Bedouin Arabs and Urban Ethnocracy in the Beer-Sheva Region”) – partially available on Google Books.

The technical-legal aspects presented by the JP (assuming they are correct) are only a very small part of the story, i.e. of a system designed from the very outset to greatly favour Israel’s dominant “ethno-class”, through seemingly neutral means.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2010, 8:16 am

Forgot the end tag for a change. Only the title of Yiftachel’s book should be in italics.

11. bijou
    July 29, 2010, 5:25 am

A broader anthrpological picture of the region’s Beduin people from National Geographic

12. homingpigeon
    July 29, 2010, 5:51 am

The Israelis were able to co-opt the Druse and many of the Bedu in part by siding with them in local rivalries with city and peasant Palestinians. They were allowed to keep their land. In the Druse sect their priority has been to do what they had to in order to avoid expulsion. Their cousins in Lebanon and Syria and Jordan serve in those respective armies. In their particular cosmology the ones living in the Arab countries – as I’ve been told by Druse – don’t really consider the ones in Palestine to be committing any sort of treason as they are holding onto pieces of real estate. The ones on the Golan Heights were allowed to stay by the Israelis in hopes they would also collaborate, but most have perceived their long term safety in terms of an eventual return of Syrian rule and have avoided Israeli military service. When Israel starts to totter it is expected that the Israeli/Palestinian Druse will quickly make deals with the rest of the Palestinians and the Arab world. This process is already starting – there was a recent delegation of “Israeli” Druse sheikhs to visit Lebanon to start making nice with folks there.

As for the Bedu, the trend is for them to distance themselves from the state, especially as it has rewarded them for their service with more land confiscations. By the way, the Bedu speak better Hebrew than the Russian and American immigrants ever will with their East European mis-pronounciations of several Semitic consonants.

There will be an important place in the one country solution for the Druse and Bedu Palestinians.

• Psychopathic god
      July 29, 2010, 8:29 am

In Der Judenstaat, Herzl proclaims three or four times, “WE ARE ONE PEOPLE.”

But Jews are NOT one people, they never have been ONE PEOPLE and Jews in Israel are anything but one people. One of the major themes Israel Shahak underlines in “Jewish History” is the prevalence of the pattern of a few elites establishing themselves as leaders of the Jewish people and oppressing the rest, creating an authoritarian system. In his study of Jewish intellectual history, Ken Ruderman states that as far back as 7th century BC, authority to interpret Torah and how Jews should live was vested in wealthy Jewish bankers in Babylon — the more things change, the more they stay the same.

13. Psychopathic god
    July 29, 2010, 7:16 am

I am a settler.
    listening to C Span Washington Journal discuss “illegal immigration” and trying to substitute “Negev” for “Arizona” and “zionists” for “Americans.”

Not a lot of daylight between the comments of callers to C Span and the reactions of Israelis to the destruction of Bedouin houses: Americans are angry, they want “those” people to go “back where they came from” and “take their babies with them.” “THEY” are taking “OUR” jobs, crowding “OUR” schools, using “OUR” hospitals.

A few years ago my town celebrated its 250th anniversary of founding, and the author of a history of the town was interviewed on radio. She recited, coolly, how George Washington had instructed “Mad” Anthony Wayne to remove Indians from the region, “by whatever means necessary.”

I live in a 140 year old house. It’s likely the first western-style structure built on this land. It is also likely that indigenous people lived and walked on the very land my house sets on.
    I am a settler.
    Somebody, perhaps an entire family or community of somebodies, was ethnically cleansed from the land that I am dwelling in as I type this message.
    I am a settler.

• MRW
      July 29, 2010, 7:41 am

The Arizonans have gone insane; the place is full of alter cockers from the NE and wherever it’s cold. So fucking ignorant they probably haven’t even bother to read the Arizona Republic
      link to azcentral.com

• Mythbuster
      July 29, 2010, 11:32 am

If you truly are a settler, then you can return to Europe, I guess. But which Anglo tribe are you going to evict? The Danes, the Saxons, the Angles, or the Picts and Scotii? England has been invaded so many times, I doubt any “real English” from King Arthur Days even remain.

The problem with your “we all settlers” point is it becomes ridiculous when taken to extremes. America dealt with its prior crimes against Native Americans by making them citizens. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Native Americans, if they choose, can fully participate in American life.

So much for your comparison.

July 29, 2010, 7:37 pm

“We are all settlers”

Well then, maybe we get to atone a little, on Israel’s behalf. Israel is very lucky that now that we have realised the error of our ways, that we have destroyed many peoples who may very well have something cultural or genetic or religious or anything else that we will end up desperately needing, we will help them avoid the same disastrous mistake. They should thank us.
        Ask yourself, would the people over whose bones you have settled rather you took their elimination as an example of the bad things that happen from “settling” and don’t want to see happen again, or would they rather they were used as an excuse to let it keep on happening.

That whole “we are all settlers” thing is really just inverse Panglossism.
        It’s just saying that things must be for the best in this best of all possible worlds, and nothing else could have happened. It’s bunk.
        Would you like it if somebody holding a gun to your head told you that since murders have been happening since time immemorial, it’s just fine, or inevitable, or for the best that you get your head shot off?

It’s real easy to say(No.4) “The whole world Sucks” when you are on the right end of the hose. It looks different when you are the one going through the beater-head and into the bag.

14. bijou
    July 29, 2010, 7:24 am

Yes, psychopathic god – you are, and so am I… sadly, these are the real “shared values” that bond the US and Israel. The difference is, we were not alive to raise a hue and cry about the dispossession of our own indigenous peoples, and the world was a vastly different place at that time. This type of frank sociocide is no longer tolerable or acceptable in the modern world, the world that we have inherited and are stewards of, and we should shine the brightest possible light on it and raise Hell until it is ended.

In my humble view.

• Psychopathic god
      July 29, 2010, 8:05 am

I spend a lot of time thinking about that “shared values” thang, bijou. Yes, true, Europeans displaced indigenous people on this continent, in the most horrendous genocide in recorded history.

two crucial differences: 1. as Brzezinski (and you) said, “the era of colonization is over.”
      2. When the foundational documents of zionism are compared with those of zionist Israel, Israel comes up short. In every way.

Torah == New Testament/ Jefferson’s Bible -The Life & Morals of Jesus
      Herzl’s Der Judenstaat == Thomas Paine
      Jabotinsky’s Iron Wall Doctrine == Federalist Papers

so-called Christian zionists in US rely on the Scofield bible and heavy emphasis on Old Testament and book of Revelation, which Jefferson stripped from his compilation of the Life and Morals of Jesus.

In its essence, the Judaism relied on by zionists and Christian zionists is backward-looking, in fact, it deifies backward-looking. In contrast, you–and I — endorse the enlightened notion that history and morality have progressed and what was enshrined in ancient days “is no longer tolerable or acceptable in the modern world.”

15. lareineblanche
    July 29, 2010, 7:51 am

Wow, school is definitely in session in this thread. One of the reasons I like this place

16. RoHa
    July 29, 2010, 7:58 am

SBS gave the story some air time last night, and included plenty of footage.
    Here’s what they have on their website.

link to sbs.com.au

I didn’t see a mention on the ABC, and I can’t find it on their website, but I did come across this old one.

“Israel poisons crops of Bedouin ‘squatters'”
    link to abc.net.au

I haven’t checked other news services.

17. Citizen
    July 29, 2010, 8:09 am

Anyway you look at it, how’d you like to watch your home bulldozed down?
    Where will you go? How will you survive? Who are these helmeted cops? What gave them the right to follow you here in the first place?

• Psychopathic god
      July 29, 2010, 9:21 am

wish I knew how to make laser-projection film; I’d create a film of the fanciest homes in the fanciest neighborhoods in town being (virtually) bulldozed; project the film onto the very houses; organize protesters on the scene, string yellow tape all over the place, hire some bulldozers to belch smoke — create an urban destructo-happening with goal of scaring the crap out of some people.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

18. sherbrsi
    July 29, 2010, 8:16 am

What gave them the right to follow you here in the first place?

Good question.

Maybe Yedida will sing a song about how Only Israel is chastised for not having the right to expel its indigenous population.

19. potsherd
    July 29, 2010, 9:00 am

I read that the olive trees were scheduled for transplantation elsewhere. Elsewhere in Jewish land, I suspect, where the owners will never benefit from them.

20. sydwalker
    July 29, 2010, 9:05 am

This may seem OT, but it is beyond me why otherwise decent people such as the author and visitors to this website allow their use of the English language to be so corrupted as to use the term ‘ethnic cleansing” – a very recent invention less than two decades oldm which is an oxymoron of the worst kind.

There’s nothing ‘cleansing’ about destroying peoples’ lives and forcing them off the land they inhabit. It’s utter filth.

We should stop using this sordid term IMO. It subconsciously helps justify the unjustifiable.

21. sydwalker
    July 29, 2010, 9:05 am

This may seem OT, but it is beyond me why otherwise decent people such as the author and visitors to this website allow their use of the English language to be so corrupted as to use the term ‘ethnic cleansing” – a very recent invention less than two decades old which is an oxymoron of the worst kind.

22. maximalistNarrative
    July 29, 2010, 11:31 am

It is disconcerting that those who protest the most the action against Bedouin the the Negev, are those who call the strongest, for ethnic cleansing of Jews from Jewish land in Judea.

• Shmuel
      July 29, 2010, 3:31 pm

MaxNar,

When Bedouins or any Palestinians enjoy a tiny fraction of the benefits afforded to Jewish settlers, give me a call. Until them, read something decent on the systematic expropriation of Palestinian land and the manifest discrimination in the allocation of land on both sides of the “green line”. I suggest Yiftachel’s Ethnocracy: Land and Identity Politics in Israel/Palestine (cited above) for “Israel proper”, and Eldar and Zertal’s Lords of the Land for the OT.

• potsherd
      July 29, 2010, 3:46 pm

There is no Jewish land in Palestine.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2010, 4:08 pm

As Yiftachel points out (citing “critical legal geographers”), standard practice since Israel’s establishment has been to defend Jewish ownership of illicitly-acquired land, by means of seemingly rational and neutral laws, policies and discourse.

If the entire history and context of Jewish settlement in the OT (and all of Palestine for that matter) is ignored, the removal of Jewish settlers may be termed “ethnic cleansing”, but it is precisely the context, the means by which the settlements were created that empty such a characterisation of all meaning. To compare the actual or advocated removal (or withdrawal of special privilege) of Jewish settlers in the OT to the demolition of the “unrecognised villages” and forced removal of their inhabitants is a grotesque manipulation and cheapening of concepts such as justice and human rights.

July 29, 2010, 7:48 pm

Max, you really don’t get this hasbara thing, do you? Which seems really weird, since you are supposed to be such a fervent Zionist.
      Yet you have a complete inability to know when either a respectful (Whew, for a second I thought I put “respectful” and “Zionist” in the same sentence, and would have to type the whole thing over) or a little strategic dissembling is required.
      Max, tell me, why do you, and many of the others Zionists, always place your own needs above helping Israel? Is the little bit of sick satisfaction you get from saying these things from behind a keyboard worth the damage you do to Israel’s image? Why, it’s almost like you’re defending your own ego, not Zionism! That doesn’t seem very smart, somehow.

I mean gosh-a-roony, Max Narr, if each one of you Zionist shills is just an ego on the half shell, where is the unity, the strategy?

Hey Max, I say the weirdest stuff you ever heard, don’t I?

23. MHughes976
    July 29, 2010, 4:52 pm

I believe that one of the motivations of William Foxwell Albright, who in the early C20 was so successful in persuading people to accept the ‘substantial historicity’ of the most militaristic version of Israelite history, was to draw parallels between Israelites and Americans, though I believe he had some sense and fear of eventual divine retribution.