Princeton is stage for Jews for boycott, Vilkomerson and Blumenthal

This is exciting. A couple of weeks ago, 700 Princeton students voted against the Sabra hummus monopoly in their dining halls. That’s why the pro-Israel kids lost, even though technically they won. And on Wednesday night, Princeton is the stage again. And note in stark rebuke to the claim of the DePaul Hillel in the post below this one, that Jews are arguing for boycott. Rebecca Vilkomerson of Jewish Voice for Peace and Max Blumenthal are going to be debating Boycott-Divestment-Sanctions with the head of the J Street branch at the school. Blumenthal:

The debate I will participate in on the 15th represents, in my opinion, the role BDS has played in fostering a more open discussion about the Israel-Palestine conflict. Though Daniel May disagrees with the BDS approach and will argue against it, he and J Street have also played a crucial part in creating space for open and honest debate about the conflict. Unfortunately, I learned yesterday that Whig Clio, Princeton’s debating society, could not convince any high profile “pro-Israel” figures to join the panel. The rumor is that no one they asked wanted to face me in a debate about the I-P conflict. I have no idea if this is true, and wonder why it would be, but whether it is or not, the fact that BDS opponents have resorted to empty terms like “delegitimization” in place of substantive arguments is evidence of how thin their case has become.

1. seafoid
    December 13, 2010, 10:52 am

I saw a cartoon in the Funny Times recently about Glenn Beck and the cartoonist wondering when the Tea Party ranters would turn to violence.

I wonder the same thing about the Zionists. They are losing the argument and the hasbara is falling on many deaf ears at long last and the arm twisting thuggery is having less effect as people wake up to the fact that Israel is incapable of a just peace.

Will they start beating up people like Max Blumenthal ?

• kapok
      December 13, 2010, 2:51 pm

That train has already left, long ago. I’ve seen video of a demo in Toronto, more than a year ago, where a burly man rushed from a crowd of onlookers and body slammed a Palestinian carrying a sign to the ground, then looked around him with a sneer and ran off. Nobody stopped him. No police ever sought him.

2. annie
    December 13, 2010, 11:26 am

how exciting, i wish i could attend. of course film the entire thing!

3. Citizen
    December 13, 2010, 11:47 am

Go Max, go Phil!

4. Kathleen
    December 13, 2010, 1:02 pm

“The rumor is that no one they asked wanted to face me in a debate about the I-P conflict.”

They don’t have a leg of truth to stand on. So they keep repeating the weak rhetoric. Telling

As Norman Finkelstein has advised stick to the facts, international agreements, UN resolutions, Court decisions, numbers of dead, injured, homes demolished, illegal settlements etc

5. occupyresist
    December 13, 2010, 1:06 pm

…wish I could be the fly on the wall in that event….might be as good as the 2003 Finkelstein-Dershowitz-take-down, though I don’t think anything I’ve seen in the media so far has given me the same level of satisfaction.

You guys realize it’s been 10 years since the 2nd intifada? 5 years since the Palestinian civil society’s BDS call?

Feels like it’s only yesterday for me, but I’m sure it felt like an eternity for many Palestinians.