’92d St Y’ cancels appearance by Palestinian doctor whose 3 daughters were killed after Jewish co-panelist drops out

Izzeldin Abuelaish, the Gaza doctor whose three daughters were killed by the Israelis during the Gaza onslaught of ’08-’09 and who wrote a book about it called, I Shall Not Hate, will speak at Cooper Union in New York on March 7. I know because a friend invited me. It’s not up on their website yet.

That’s because Cooper Union just scheduled it. Abuelaish was supposed to appear at the 92d Street Y that same night, and the event was canceled. From their webpage:

Faces of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Loss and Forgiveness

Izzeldin Abuelaish and Laura Blumenfeld with Christiane Amanpour

In 2009, Palestinian doctor and Israeli television personality Izzeldin Abuelaish lost three of his daughters during a Gaza raid. In 1986, a Palestinian terrorist shot author Laura Blumenfeld’s father. Abuelaish and Blumenfeld discuss with ABC News’ Christiane Amanpour how—despite such personal tragedy on both sides of the conflict—we can find common ground and political solutions.

Date & Time: Mon, Mar 7, 2011

8:15pm

Location: Lexington Avenue at 92nd Street

Directions Venue: Buttenwieser Hall

Price: $29.00

Then it says, “This event is no longer available.” What’s the story? I called Beverly Greenfield of the 92d St Y and she said that Laura Blumenfeld (whose book about her father came out 8 years ago) had dropped out of the event and “we couldn’t find anyone to replace her that everyone could agree on.” She explained, “The original vision of the panel was that there would be people on both sides of the issue talking about loss and forgiveness.”

Greenfield didn’t know why Blumenfeld had dropped out and said she wasn’t a party to the debate over alternate guests.

I said to Greenfield, Why is the Cooper Union able to give a platform to Abuelaish and you can’t? She said that the 92d Street Y does programming “across the board, with a huge variety of points of view.”

I said, But it seems like you can only present this man whose three daughters were killed two years ago in Gaza if there’s a Jewish woman whose father was wounded 25 years ago on stage with him. Why does his story require “context”? Greenfield said that actually the 92d Street Y has presented many people on both sides of this issue.

“Is there any time that you have presented just the Palestinian side on stage?” I said.

Greenfield said she didn’t know.

I got upset. “Don’t you see how this must seem? You can only let this man tell his story if there’s a Jewish woman on the stage with him, but Cooper Union has no problem with that.” Greenfield was very patient with me. She said that it was just in this particular situation, the panel did not work out.

Again I asked if the 92d Street Y has ever presented the Palestinian “side” without countering it; Greenfield said she did not know.

1. Philip Munger
    February 17, 2011, 5:55 pm

My hunch – A major donor to the 92nd Street Y let it be known that should Dr. Abuelaish appear, there would be a diminution or end of funding from that source. End of story. From the description of your talk, I wonder whether the lack of “context” was even much of an issue.

February 17, 2011, 6:10 pm

Let’s wait and see if Dr. Abuelaish gets to speak there.

I doubt Philip (M) that you know enough about the 92nd to be making that guess.

• RoHa
        February 17, 2011, 7:04 pm

I think Philip M knows enough about Zioist control of New York to make that guess.

• MRW
        February 17, 2011, 7:30 pm

If this were the first time, your surmisal might hold water.

Philip (M) knows more than enough. Especially if he is a NYC-er. Happened enough times to make this an educated guess.

Signed,
        Ex-NYC-er.

February 17, 2011, 7:40 pm

He’ s an Alaskan these days, (not that there’s anything wrong with that)

• Psychopathic god
        February 17, 2011, 9:08 pm

is the 92nd Street Y a YMCA or YWCA, in both of which the C stands for Christian?

• NimaShirazi
        February 17, 2011, 10:32 pm

No, it’s a Jewish organization, actually. The full name is the 92nd Street Young Men’s and Young Women’s Hebrew Association.

While it is indeed true that the 92nd Street Y has hosted many fascinating and diverse panels on the Israeli/Palestinian, every panel is carefully managed in order to provide so-called “balance” – that is, to offset and temper all anti-Zionist, Arab, and Palestinian voices with heavily Zionist voices and narratives that appear to hold “equal weight” but which, in reality, counter truth with hasbara.

Also, these panels at the Y are all rather costly to attend – certainly a way to keep the “riff-raff” out. (In other words, to ensure that the desired Upper East (and West) Side demographic of Birthright parents and Hebron Fund financiers is far better represented in the audience than less well-off activists, students, and minorities.

• Philip Munger
        February 17, 2011, 8:33 pm

fuster,

Why do you think that about me? I find your presumption offensive.

February 17, 2011, 9:19 pm

I think you’re an Alaskan because you’ve said so often on FDL.
        Once you even mentioned that formerly you were a Professor of Low Brass.
        I’ve nary the slightest wish to offend you, Philip and hope that you’ll reconsider taking any offense.

• Philip Munger
        February 17, 2011, 11:15 pm

In 2004 the Center for Economic and Social Responsibility offered to produce my work, The Skies Are Weeping in NYC. We looked at the possibility of several venues, one of which was the 92nd St. Y. I’ve been to events at that wonderful little hall in 1995, and in 1996, when I was performing and lecturing at Juilliard. I know people who have worked there. During the process of dealing with the CESR deciding it wasn’t in their best interests to produce TSAW, and watching the NYTW cancellation of My Name is Rachel Corrie, I learned a fair amount about how some things happen and some things don’t in NYC.

February 18, 2011, 12:26 am

Philip, sorry about your problems in NYC and if you think that you know enough from your time here to make a reasonable guess at this, I withdraw saying that you don’t.
        I’ll retreat to saying, respectfully, that I doubt that you’re correct.

• Philip Munger
        February 18, 2011, 2:35 am

It wasn’t a “problem,” it was a learning experience.

• Kathleen
        February 18, 2011, 10:02 am

How are I/P discussions going over at Firedoglake Phil Munger? Has Rayne completely banished every really interested individual? Rayne eliminated all of my post about Iran, Iraq, the Iaea, Niger Documents, Israel/Palestinian conflicts, former CIA analyst Micheal Scheuer,etc over there. Eliminated all of the hundreds/thousands of comments from others, links to other information etc. after Jane Hamsher was really challenged.

A real open minded place over there.

• Kathleen
        February 18, 2011, 10:39 am

Why do you think what about me? What was really so offensive here?

• Kathleen
      February 18, 2011, 9:52 am

Most of us are well aware that this is the way the I lobby does business.

Hope the Cooper Union event is streamed.

Best interviews with Dr. Abuelaish at Democracy Now. What a most remarkable man. Wondering if he will be traveling across the states?

2. Les
    February 17, 2011, 5:56 pm

The doctor is biased. As Uri Avnery tells about the mother who tells her son, when he was ordered by the Czar to fight the Turks, “Kill a turk, then take a rest. Then kill another Turk and take another rest.” When the son responds, “What if the Turk kills me?,” the mother replies, “Why would he do that, you did nothing to him?”

• Kathleen
      February 18, 2011, 10:19 am

Les WTF

Go listen to interviews with the Doctor over at Democracy now. This man is amazing. Remarkable! The man lost 3 daughters for Christs sake.

If someone took out my 3 daughters they would have to watch their backs for the rest of their lives.

I wish I was as good as people like Doctor Abuelaish

• Les
        February 18, 2011, 10:28 am

You assume bias is always negative. I don’t.

3. Avi
    February 17, 2011, 6:05 pm

If a Palestinian breaths in the US, there has got to be a Jew to “balance” that view, preferably a Jew who’s suffered the trauma of the Holocaust so that audiences will feel that the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians was necessary.

Where’s that Jewish humanism you repeatedly speak of, Phil? I have yet to see anything but lip service from the Jewish community in the US.

• Philip Weiss
      February 17, 2011, 6:11 pm

what about you avi. you count.

• Avi
        February 17, 2011, 6:47 pm

Phil, are you being funny? (Or was that a shot below the belt?)

Let’s face it, even if the numbers were in the hundreds, that is still a drop in the ocean. There are, after all, about 6 million Jews in the US.

And what are they doing about this: link to mondoweiss.net

• Philip Weiss
        February 17, 2011, 7:37 pm

i was alienated from jewish life for years. now im not. its because of people like you who identify as jews and express their outrage over support for israel.

• Avi
        February 17, 2011, 7:40 pm

Thank you. I appreciate that.

• Richard Witty
        February 17, 2011, 9:36 pm

Phil,
        Are you engaged in Jewish life?

Can you explain what you mean?

• Chaos4700
        February 17, 2011, 10:06 pm

…and the Israeli Inquisition begins. Are you “Jewish” enough, Phil?

• yourstruly
        February 17, 2011, 10:07 pm

participating in the struggle for justice in palestine is being engaged in jewish life. A most vital aspect, actually, which is being on the side of the oppressed – until the last chain is broken, none of us will be free.

• Kathleen
        February 18, 2011, 10:04 am

Y not allow Dr. Abuelaish to speak?

If Jews who have suffered from loss due to the conflict do not want to tell their story that is their choice.

• James
      February 18, 2011, 1:35 am

there has got to be balance because there is none when it comes to the representation on the world stage of the plight of the palestinians compared to the plight of the jews… it’s sad bit ironic that those who have suffered in the past seem unable to recognize how they are now perpetuating suffering onto another people… it is neither balanced or free in any way whatsoever..

thanks for your many comments here avi..

• Kathleen
      February 18, 2011, 10:20 am

you nailed it

• Kathleen
        February 18, 2011, 10:20 am

Avi you nailed it

• lyn117
      February 18, 2011, 5:17 pm

“If a Palestinian breaths in the US, there has got to be a Jew to “balance” that view, ”

It’s utterly appropriate to offer Laura Blumenfeld, who suffered a slight graze 25 years ago, to balance a man who’s children were dismembered by Israeli bombs.

I didn’t read Blumenfeld’s book, but I did read her write-up of her experiences in the LA times a few years ago. She was invited by the family of the man who shot at her father to stay with them, and she took up that offer without letting on her ulterior motives. The family was very poor but welcomed her. She wrote about her disgust with them basically because they were so poor, her feelings of superiority. In fact while she stated she forgave the man who shot at her, she also stated how that made her superior to him.

4. Memphis
    February 17, 2011, 6:09 pm

I saw this man speak at a writers festival in Ottawa last summer, And I cried just about the entire time he spoke and told his story. This man is a must hear for everyone. His story and philosophy must be heard. If everyone thought like this good Dr. whom has experienced more tragedy in a single year than most of us will have in an entire then there would be peace amongst Israeli’s and palestinians.

The most poignant point he always makes, is that when a patient comes into the hospital, he does not care whether they are Palestinian or Israeli, they are a human and thus deserve to be treated with care and dignity.

I love this man, he is a hero

• Hu Bris
      February 17, 2011, 7:15 pm

I love the way it’s all phrased –

First we have the careless doctor, so careless he goes around ‘losing’ his children, tsk, tsk! No wonder the death-rate in Palestine is so high if all the doctors are as careless as this guy:
      “In 2009, Palestinian doctor and Israeli television personality Izzeldin Abuelaish lost three of his daughters during a Gaza raid.”

No mention of who killed them or how they were killed – just an ‘unavoidable’ consequence of . . . . . . . . . . [crickets] . . . . . . . something or other.

And he ‘lost’ them , of course – they were not singled out for any reason, it just happened, and of course given that he ‘lost’ them, well he might even share just the tiniest bit of responsiblity himself.

Then we have the poor poor poor poor victim, the poor poor, ever to be pitied, Laura.

We hear that “a Palestinian terrorist” [shock horror, nasty nasty Palestinian!!!] actually SINGLED OUT (!!!! Nasty Nasty Palestinian!) and ” shot author Laura Blumenfeld’s father. ”

Well I never!

What a horrible thing – good thing they pointed out he was Palestinian though, so we know who to point the finger at- and they even very helpfully contextualised it all for us by telling us that he was a ‘Terrorist!!’ so in no way could any blame attach to anyone else other than Palestinians and ‘terrorists’.

And of course they are both equal victims because, as everyone knows (duh!) a father who received a bullet years ago, but survived to tell the tale, IS SO the equal of 3 young Girls ‘Lost’ in some unavoidable weird way (that no one seems to know how it actually happened.)

Stands to reason really when ya think about it.

• tree
        February 17, 2011, 8:02 pm

I love the way it’s all phrased –

Yes, that was the first thing I noticed about the wording of the event.

Izzeldin Abuelaish lost three of his daughters during a Gaza raid.

Frankly, if one is clueless enough about Israel/Palestine, and plenty of Americans are, then even if you pick up on the fact that losing “three of his daughters” means they were killed, its entirely possible to come to the conclusion that they were likewise killed by Palestinians.

Passive voice for the Palestinian children’s deaths, active voice for the Israeli father shot. They can’t even be neutral in their webpage description of the event. If they are really seeking “balance”, then they need to start there. But I doubt they even gave it a second thought.

• MRW
      February 17, 2011, 7:36 pm

I watched the translated Israeli show as he called on air to say his daughters and niece were being killed as he spoke, crying Why? Why? I will never forget it. Etched in my mind.

• Psychopathic god
        February 17, 2011, 9:14 pm

Jan 17 2009 Abulaish’s daughters “lost.”

Jan 20 2009

• VR
        February 17, 2011, 9:48 pm

Lets make no mistake, Izzeldin Abuelaish was a doctor in an Israeli hospital who gave care to all women whether they were Jew or Gentile. He was rewarded by the murder of his precious daughters

TWO YEARS AFTER THE ATTACK

• Antidote
        February 18, 2011, 1:50 am

and this

February 18, 2011, 2:27 am

devastating video

• Antidote
      February 18, 2011, 1:06 am

“I love this man, he is a hero”

So do I. And also Finkelstein, who is touring Ontario this week, and promptly ran into attempts to ban one of his lectures.

Finkelstein looked exhausted. One question after his talk was about reliable sources on the I/P conflict, given the practically insane newspaper coverage in Harperland. Finkelstein mentioned various sources like Human Rights Watch, and noted that people used to tell him after his speeches how they loved his books. Now they tell him how they loved him on YT . And that he hopes reading books will not entirely disappear. His last royalty cheque was 380 $.

Do buy some books, people.

He addressed the revolt in Egypt which would hopefully become a true revolution, spreading throughout the ME. To the effect that there would be real change to the ‘stability’ (Egypt etc) and ‘instability’ (Iran) politics inflicted by the US and Europe. That people in Egypt and beyond would finally reclaim their voice and human dignity, and that the rights of Palestinians would no longer be sold so cheaply.

As should we in our fake democracies.

• James
      February 18, 2011, 1:36 am

thanks for sharing this memphis..

5. justicewillprevail
    February 17, 2011, 6:55 pm

Amazing how easy it is to censor events which might show Israel in a less than shining light. The truth must be buried, and the situation never discussed without ensuring some representative for Jewish apartheid is there.

6. lysias
    February 17, 2011, 7:10 pm

Chris Hedges describes in his recent book The Death of the Liberal Class a technique Abe Rosenthal used as editor of The New York Times to prevent stories about Ralph Nader and claims that he was making out of the paper. He “decreed that no story built around Nader’s research could be published unless there was a corporate response. Corporations, informed of Rosenthal’s dictate, refused to comment on Nader’s research. This effectively killed the stories. The Times set the agenda for national news coverage. Pmce Nader disappeared from the Times, other major papers and networks did not feel compelled to report on his investigations. He found it harder and harder to be heard.”

7. MRW
    February 17, 2011, 7:39 pm

Phil, good for you. Good man.

• Psychopathic god
      February 17, 2011, 9:18 pm

JCC in a nearby town hosted Abulaish in the months immediately after his daughters were “lost.”

Incredibly, half of the people who were able to ask questions from the floor attacked Abulaish or Palestinians for “still being refugees,” etc.

the room was packed, but the display of those four or five people was disgusting and tainted the entire event. Abulaish did not lose his composure.

8. thetumta
    February 17, 2011, 7:45 pm

Sad, we seemingly haven’t made any progress in my lifetime?
    Tumta

9. thetumta
    February 17, 2011, 7:56 pm

Just to explain, I was inadvertently ambushed here a few days ago by the Israeli newscast of this Father’s tragedy that was hot-linked. I did not seek it out, because it’s so devastating. I had seen it before. It always is, well too late, too bad. The way of this world. The upside is I wrote several of the best paragraphs ever on another subject. I guess that is good is it’s going to get, as it looks like this could get seriously ugly.

February 17, 2011, 8:24 pm

hey, don’t be so shy. if you have several of the best paragraphs ever…..give us a link, eh.

• Mark Braverman
        February 17, 2011, 8:40 pm

Thanks for this, Phil. Just when I think I can shrug this kind of thing off as typical for the discourse, something like this happens — this one really got me.
        I think that this should not end here. You really nailed it in your conversation with her — but it should not end there. The Y really should have their feet held to the fire about this. It’s really sickening and outrageous.
        Letters to the head person there that just plays back your conversation with Greenfield would do just fine.

February 17, 2011, 8:50 pm

That would be fine. As well, perhaps, an attempt to contact Dr Abuelaish, either to hear what he knows of the cancellation….or even for a short posting/interview on the site.

Perhaps the 92 St Y would forward a message if no other avenue is available

• MRW
        February 17, 2011, 8:53 pm

Mark Braverman…what’s the symbol for thumbs-up? You deserve it.

• Richard Witty
        February 17, 2011, 9:33 pm

“The Y really should have their feet held to the fire about this. It’s really sickening and outrageous.”

Why?

• Philip Weiss
        February 17, 2011, 9:45 pm

because i am engaged with abuelaish’s narrative, i am engaged with jewish life.
        and you pretend not to know why this is outrageous.

• MRW
        February 17, 2011, 9:56 pm

Thank you, Philip Weiss, for your response to the petty, small-minded response by Witty.

May he hang his head in shame.

• clenchner
        February 17, 2011, 10:07 pm

The Y is like many other Jewish institutions, caught between both a donor base and audience that is increasingly polarized between right and left. Like the others, they presume it is their mission to serve the entire Jewish community, without making decisions that alienate this or that portion.
        It’s hard to be a development director.
        I’m interested in this idea, that the major conflict within the Jewish world of our time – over the status of Israel as an occupier/Jewish state – can be resolved within the context of Jewish unity.
        This was not the case when the Jewish world was split between religious, Bundist and Zionist. It was not the case during the Karaite split. It was not the case when rabbinic Judaism began to emerge from the disgust with the Hasmonian high priests. So why know? What will institutions like the Y actually do when the middle ground disappears?

• Richard Witty
        February 17, 2011, 10:14 pm

I don’t conclude some conspiracy to exclude him from what you described.

Engagement with Jewish life would not be so judgmental. It would love Jewish life in the present, as well as be irritated with it. It would actively respect the reasoning even of those one disagrees with. It would reference Jewish landmarks, rather than solely cosmopolitan. It would use the word “we” to describe events and relations (rather than “they”).

As Jewish life is genuinely much much less oriented to the political than your commentary, your description of engagement in Jewish life would be more social.

Religiously, there are three+ methods to engage in Jewish life (more #and# formulas):

Study of Torah, commentary and reasonings
        Regular intimate prayer
        Helping one’s neighbors kindly and fearlessly

• Citizen
        February 17, 2011, 10:44 pm

Why? Twit.

• Cliff
        February 18, 2011, 1:38 am

methinks the witty doth protest too much

• James
        February 18, 2011, 1:38 am

apparently some folks know nothing of shame as witnessed in their continued actions…

• Philip Munger
        February 18, 2011, 3:36 am

I’m not sure he is pretending, Phil. Richard is remarkably obtuse in more than one fascinating way.

At times, no sooner does he write something sensible here, than he contradicts himself in response to a comment someone made about what he wrote. Then, after making some bizarre statement, he edges back toward sensibility in his subsequent engagement.

What he writes here is less interesting than how it plays out, for sure, but I don’t think he is pretending. You know him better than do I, though.

• Philip Weiss
        February 18, 2011, 8:33 am

i realize how overwhelming his presence can be; and boy i found that question obnoxious, but i do think he is a standin for a lot of silent american jews who are checking out this debate and even seeking answers….

• Chaos4700
        February 18, 2011, 8:41 am

That’s a depressing thought. How exactly are we supposed to be encouraged that the American Jewish community is even capable of change? Frankly, I don’t see it, not from an outsider’s perspective. If anything, since Operation Cast Lead, Jewish support for Israel in the US has become even more slavish and irrational.

• hophmi
        February 18, 2011, 9:05 am

“because i am engaged with abuelaish’s narrative, i am engaged with jewish life.”

Huh?

Because I’m engaged with Abulaish’s narrative, I’m engaged in Muslim and Palestinian life.

Phil, why can’t you be a real journalist and wait until you actually know the story before smearing the Y?

• Chaos4700
        February 18, 2011, 9:20 am

…And this would be my point, Phil. For every Jewish American who slows down to consider your viewpoint, I’m seeing two or three who just bully you and splatter your blog with untruths and racist diatribes.

Thanks, hophmi, for helping me prove my point.

• thetumta
        February 17, 2011, 10:29 pm

My best paragraphs ever in certain respects. Maybe I’ll get a few more? Probably not anything you would be interested in, I think. Otherwise you and I wouldn’t be here, Seriously, this is why this has become unhealthy and hopefully there is one last last chance for reasonable people to find a way out of this box. Maybe not?

• thetumta
        February 17, 2011, 10:49 pm

Fuster, are you shy? Why bring it up?

• thetumta
        February 17, 2011, 10:59 pm

“Morally vacant”. Somebody finally hit the nail on the head! And I think I’m a Savage?
        Tumta

• thetumta
        March 15, 2011, 10:57 pm

Not shy at all. Quite the contrary. Just weary of you and all the others who traveled this well worn path. Why would I let you poison what’s left of the good that remains? So fuster, what’s changed in the last couple of weeks and what’s coming? hej!

10. thetumta
    February 17, 2011, 9:32 pm

His children are dead? No?

• MRW
      February 17, 2011, 10:00 pm

Yes. They were being killed as he called into the Israeli TV show that he regularly called into. The agony. The cries. The horror. As his children were being killed in front of him (and a niece) was…breath-taking.

• thetumta
      February 17, 2011, 11:27 pm

His children are dead? No?

Or did one of his daughter’s survive?

I don’t think we should be part of what’s coming?
      Just my humble opinion.
      Tumta

11. thetumta
    February 17, 2011, 9:40 pm

Fuster is Witty, I think?

February 17, 2011, 10:01 pm

no, tums, fuster (with a small f) only thinks that he is (with a small w)

• MRW
      February 17, 2011, 10:02 pm

Who gives a shit. Men like whomever should hang their heads in shame.

• Chaos4700
      February 17, 2011, 10:05 pm

No. If he’s anyone’s sock puppet, it would be yonira’s. As virtually carbon copy as the two of them are, though, I guess they must be different people. Yonira would have screwed up and cross-posted between screen names by now, like he did under the “Schwartzman” alias

• MRW
      February 17, 2011, 10:38 pm

Morally vacant.

• Walid
      February 17, 2011, 10:58 pm

The issue is about the good doctor having sued Israel before the clock ran out on him. Until then, with his “I shall not hate” book and concept, he had been the darling of Jews and Israelis. His court case will keep Cast Lead under the spotlight for a very long time and as Philip M. suggested, phone calls were made to the Y but most probably to Laura B. too.

• Antidote
        February 18, 2011, 10:25 am

Excellent point, Walid. He was “the darling” as long as he put up with the suffering and harassment inflicted on him by Israel his entire life, as long as he lined up patiently at the humiliating checkpoints to get to his job at the Israeli hospital and help infertile Jewish couples counter the ‘demographic threat’. But God forbid he should insist that his children, and all Palestinian children, have the same right to grow up and live in safety in the land where they and their ancestors were born.

There’s nothing more unnatural than to expect a father to care about the children of the neighboring tribe more than about his own. And yet Abuelaish’s treatment is the logical consequence of the hideous belief that the goyim only live to serve the ‘chosen people’. Most Jews and Jewish Israelis would no doubt reject this view, but they unwittingly subscribe to it via the detour of ‘security concerns’, or the threat of terrorism and ‘another holocaust’, or whatever other excuse they find to maintain their ‘special status’ among other humans

• Philip Weiss
        February 18, 2011, 10:27 am

i want to ferociously disagree with you antidote. and i find with sadness today that i cannot. this is a horrifying incident to me.

• Richard Witty
        February 18, 2011, 7:46 pm

“This is a horrifying incident to me.”

What incident is that?

Your post was about a cancellation of a speaking engagement. It happens all the time, for NOT nefarious reasons, or consequences.

Are you really sure you reported this accurately? I don’t see it from your post.

• Hu Bris
        February 18, 2011, 8:12 pm

“Your post was about a cancellation of a speaking engagement”

actually it wasn’t just about the cancellation of a speaking event – are you really that witless that you cannot understand it all in context?

Even the title gives a hint, Dick, – “’92d St Y’ cancels appearance by Palestinian doctor whose 3 daughters were killed” for the ostensible reason that “[a] Jewish co-panelist drops out”

So a doctor that is willing to speak on the subject of not hating the zionist killers of his children cannot do so because there is no Jewish/Zionist ‘victim’ to ‘counter-balance his message of ‘no hatred’

“What incident is that?”

Seriously? Really? Surely nobody could be so stupid as to hope to be believed when feigning ignorance of his meaning

12. thetumta
    February 17, 2011, 10:15 pm

and maybe, Phil?
    Ouch, Tumta

13. yourstruly
    February 17, 2011, 10:20 pm

yours truly had a similar experience (post-u.s-backed, ’82 israeli war on lebanon), upon returning home from W. Beirut, when, for a brief period, a window of opportunity opened up for witnesses to that war to speak out. A major network booked me but said that I couldn’t go on by myself, there’d have to be a balancing spokesperson for the zionist side. When the two of us squared off, the zionist’s words won’t surprise mw commenters, it was the one about israel being the only democracy in the mideast, and israel as america’s best friend. At least he didn’t tell the one about “a land without a people for a people without a land”. My concluding remark was that israel was america’s mad dog, and see what happens when the master unleashes its mad dog. That was meant to hurt. Hope it did.

14. annie
    February 17, 2011, 10:33 pm

there’s something really sick about this happening in nyc. anywhere it’s sick but especially in a major metropolitan area. i’m contacting them here

I heard you’re canceling an event with Dr. Abuelaish presumably because New Yorker’s can’t be exposed to a Palestinian without being flanked by a Jewish victim. Why? Why isn’t a Palestinian Doctor and Author allowed an audience all on his own? This is despicable. This man who had three of his children ripped from his life in one of the most public displays of agony I’ve ever witnessed has a story to tell and you cancel because it isn’t ‘balanced’ by Jewish pain? Do you juxtapose all of your speakers in this way or only Palestinians?

You should be ashamed. Canceling this event is rude, cruel, cowardly and irresponsible. Meanwhile pro Israel groups are funding college tours of IDF soldiers drumming up support for their state. Nothing about this conflict is balanced. The MSM is virtually stripped of non Zionists pundits and narrators. I am sick of this. I am sick of it. I’m sick of being force fed Israel’s narrative by my politicians declaring loyalty to our special friendship. I’m sick of the imbalance of our foreign policy and our media. And now this. Audience members cannot hear a Palestinian doctor whose 3 daughters have been killed by IDF forces because there’s no opposite ethnic equivalent present for balance?

Guess what? There is no equivalent between the oppressed and the oppressor. People already know that. You should be embarrassed and ashamed.

15. Richard Witty
    February 17, 2011, 10:47 pm

“But it was Abuelaish’s response to the loss of his children that made news and won him humanitarian awards around the world. Instead of seeking revenge or sinking into hatred, in this personal account of his life, Izzeldin Abuelaish is calling for the people of the Middle East to start talking to each other. His deepest hope is that his daughters will be the last sacrifice on the road to peace between Palestinians and Israelis.”

The commitment to not hate is real courage.

One of my critiques of this post of yours Phil, is that it is a suggestion to anger, close to a suggestion to hate.

February 17, 2011, 10:54 pm

is that it is a suggestion to anger, close to a suggestion to hate.

do you ever listen to yourself? seriously? and why does the following sentiment need to be accompanied by anything, any ‘balance’ at all:

• James
      February 18, 2011, 1:41 am

witty i am always impressed at where you place your outrage….

• MRW
      February 18, 2011, 2:25 am

Spare me, Witty. You approve of 60+ years of retribution for any slight, but a man who loses three daughters in front of his eyes, a man who is not Jewish, is supposed to forgive and forget and promulgate your course of sacrifice for your idea of greater good. Try selling this BS to Netanyahu. Not us.

16. thetumta
    February 17, 2011, 11:10 pm

“Morally vacant”.
    Hej! Hej!

17. thetumta
    February 17, 2011, 11:15 pm

In the end, you will do what your are required to do. It is always the same? You’re Top Sargent knows you must fear him more than the other and you will do what’s required. Tell me I’m wrong?
    Tumta

18. thetumta
    February 17, 2011, 11:47 pm

Well?

• thetumta
      December 2, 2011, 10:17 pm

At long last, no one has responded, even Witty. Of course, it wasn’t Witty. Someone killed this Man’s daughters. I hope to never see such a video again. Yes, I’m in hiding, I’m entitled.
      The killers have not stepped up? Maybe they haven’t had enough time to think about it. Young men need time to think about it, as they become old men and wish they had not, I think.
      Hej!

19. Linda J
    February 17, 2011, 11:51 pm

The “Y” really shouldn’t have been nervous about having the Doc speak on his own. I saw him in Seattle and he did not mention Israel once. It was as if his daughters were killed by a random act of violence rather than a state-sponsored, U.S. supported murder.

• VR
      February 18, 2011, 1:30 am

Perhaps that is the price you pay if you want a life for the rest of your family in enemy territory (anonymity of the criminal state of Israel, not being able to name the guilty)? It is a terrible price to pay. No justice.

• Psychopathic god
      February 18, 2011, 7:03 am

when Dr. Abulaish made his first tour in the US he was sponsored by Jewish organizations. (I’m pretty sure this tour is also sponsored by Jewish organizations.) Frankly, it looked like Jewish organizations were trotting him out to bask in his courage. He was the one who suffered the loss, they sat beside him and said, See how fair minded we are — we present to you this man who forgives Jewish people when Jewish people kill his children.

To boot, 4 of the 7 questions asked from the audience started with “I am a holocaust survivor” and ended with, “Palestinians brought it on themselves.”

It was reminiscent of the same shouts and jeers Abulaish endured here:
      Abulaish’s moan, “They Don’t Want to Know the Truth” is the banner cry of our era.

February 18, 2011, 5:31 pm

Linda, as far as any of us know, the Y wasn’t nervous. Philip has suspicions, but information is lacking.

• Chaos4700
        February 18, 2011, 5:36 pm

So why can’t a Palestinian be allowed to speak without a Zionist “handler” across from him?

February 18, 2011, 6:32 pm

When you find out why the event was cancelled, let us know.

20. HRK
    February 18, 2011, 1:43 am

I think some people (not all) who criticize Witty are behaving in a very uncharitable, disrespectful fashion. Quit jumping down his throat!

I’m not Jewish, but one of the things I sense about Witty is that he is concerned about Jews continuing on indefinitely as a people group. That’s a fairly mainstream Jewish concern from what I know (granted, it may not be much compared to some on this site), and I think one could argue that if one is ethnically Jewish and yet decides that there’s something (in whatever sense) wrong about this concern then in a de facto sense one has essentially chosen to become a gentile. (I know a lot of strongly-identified Jews would object here–I suspect they would agree deep down in a limited sense but would take issue on the grounds that as long as an ethnically Jewish person is still living he or she has the chance of making an about-face and coming back into the tribe.) Whatever else Jewishness is, it’s irreducibly about the group.

As a gentile, I’m not concerned with Jewish-identity continuity anymore than I would expect Jews to be concerned about Christian identity continuity. It sounds sort of uncaring to say so, but this is just how it is (on both sides of the aisles–and for every other religion, too). Don’t expect me to weep buckets of tears if every Jew converted to Christianity. Also, I wouldn’t expect Jews to shed any tears if every Jewish convert to Christianity converted back to Judaism. Again, no disrespect intended.

I think any group that sets itself apart does run the risk of veering toward being too conservative (conservative in the sense of being too good to itself–of wanting too many resources to flow toward the group as opposed to being liberal or “free” with how the resources flow).

Yet ultimately even conservatives should be able to see that it’s in the best interests of Jews and everyone else to give the Palestinians a deal they can accept. There’s a logic here: If you don’t give the party you’re negotiating with a decent deal, don’t expect to close the deal and move on.

It seems like a while ago Witty made a post in support of a grandfather not giving his inheritance to a granddaughter if she married a gentile. (I hope my memory is serving me right.) I do think this is wrong because it’s coercive. That’s being too conservative. Religious decisions should involve choice.

But on the I/P conflict, I believe Witty is against Israeli expansionism (it seems like I read that he felt this way), so he’s pushing things in the right direction.

(Gosh, I’m out of my comfort zone on this post. I hope I don’t regret this after I push “submit.”)

• Chaos4700
      February 18, 2011, 3:02 am

Ask him what he thinks about Jerusalem. Ask him if he thinks Jews and Arabs should be allowed to integrate into the same communities throughout Israel/Palestine. Ask Witty if he supports the siege and Operation Cast Lead. Ask Witty if the razing of 500 Palestinians was “necessary.”

Once you’ve been here long enough, you’ll know why he earns this reaction.

February 18, 2011, 3:04 am

if you want to make a point wrt witty i suggest you copy/paste so we know what you are referencing. is it this:

???

• Avi
      February 18, 2011, 3:59 am

HRK,

I suggest you lead by example. Put your proverbial money where you mouth is and make witty your project. If you can reason with him within a period of 1 month, you’ll set a great example for everyone. Otherwise, since you don’t seem to know witty and his comment history, I suggest you take everyone’s word for it.

Nonetheless, the offer/challenge is still on the table should you choose to take it. So, are you prepared to do so, or will you sit idly by while you lecture everyone else about witty?

I’m prepared to learn something new if you’ve got something new to offer.

• occupyresist
      February 18, 2011, 8:44 am

HRK, one reason I am taking a break from posting here is RW. Each post is an unflinching apologia for all things Israeli. Not prepared to inflame my colon for some random loon on the interweb. Follow him for a while and even concern for survival of ‘the tribe’ doesn’t excuse it. His views can be summed up as ethnic supremacy & victimhood narrative, with a humanitarian veneer. Reminds me of some people in some kooky countries in the ME who supported the Egyptian revolution but cannot muster the compassion to stand with Bahrainis because the majority are Shia. Hypocrites, every one of them, and RW with them.

February 18, 2011, 6:20 pm

Have no regrets, HRW.

If people are upset by a call for peace, love and understanding and for finding a fair deal, it’s not your problem.

• demize
        February 19, 2011, 1:12 am

One of the reasons I seldom post. The constant morally obtuse blather mixed with a pantomime of what sounds like altruism but is really supremecy mixed with a little bit of who me awww shucks is enough to.drive anyone batty after a steady dose.

February 19, 2011, 1:27 am

just scroll past them demise.

21. biorabbi
    February 18, 2011, 2:01 am

Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish is the real deal. Not only should he be invited to speak, alone or with others, I would nominate him for the Nobel Prize for Peace, and looking at much of the refuse who has one the prize, Dr. Abuelaish deserves it.

When I vented yesterday where are the Palestinian voices of peace with Israel, I forgot Dr. Abuelaish. He is a nobel man, a great man. Dr. Abuelaish has done more for peace and justice than all of the Obamas, Netanyahus, Peres, Abbas, Arafats, and Carters combined.

Is it racist of me to point out the many Palestinian doctors I have met are the best. It is my experience that Palestinian physicians were/are a cut above all other FMG’s including Israelis. I know a wonderful Palestinian Endocrinologist who happens to read this blog(don’t worry, I won’t mention your name or state you practice in=). He could not have been more of a friend to me when the chips were down in my life and I think of you often(all the best, david).

22. Richard Witty
    February 18, 2011, 4:37 am

Dr Abuelaish sounds inspiring. I would invite him to my shul to speak.

My criticism of Phil’s post is that I don’t believe that he is sure that there was an organized effort to not allow Dr Abuelaish to speak, but chose to say that there was.

And, unless someone knows some “truth” between the lines, that is not in Phil’s post, the posse here is acting and speaking very gullibly, on cue.

HRK,
    If I said anything about intermarriage, it would be something along the lines of the choice of a grandfather and grandchild is their own business. They have the right to feel and say what they believe.

I personally regard the Jewish mission in life as important, and chose to bring my children up as Jewish. Both my boys got bar mitzvahed. My oldest son became a Lubavitch chasid and will be a rabbi. My youngest more or less rejected formal Judaism, but we still talk about what is meaningful in it to me.

My son, and the half dozen of chasidic rabbis that I know quite well, disprove to me the prejudicial assumptions about what orthodox Jews are like. They are committed to being Jewish, and immerse themselves in Jewish community. The ones I know well however are NOT racist, not vain, not elitist in the sense of special privilege (they definitely feel the intimacy with God, and expressed and required communally, that their community adhere to what they understand of God’s commandments).

They, like Dr Abuelaish’s stated commitment, is to not hate. That doesn’t mean that every chasid does not articulate racist approaches. Some do. I’ve heard them and it offended me.

But, it does say to me that generalization about chasids, about practising Jews, about Jewish community, is itself racist. (Somehow justified in the name of opposing racism.)

• Antidote
      February 18, 2011, 9:37 am

It’s not about orthodox Jews, and they obviously hold diverse views. Neturei karta is orthodox and anti-zionist, and they have done much better PR work against anti-semitism and stereotyping Jews, orthodox or not, that the entire ADL. They don’t practice or advocate intermarriage either, and raise their children with the same commitment to Judaism as you do. If orthodox beliefs include real estate and land claims over ‘Judea and Samaria’, and Jerusalem, that’s a problem for people who have a perfectly reasonable historical claim to the same real estate/land. Mixing geopolitics with religion has never produced anything but hatred and bloodshed.

• hophmi
        February 18, 2011, 9:52 am

“and they have done much better PR work against anti-semitism and stereotyping Jews”

You mean by doing things like showing up at Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s Holocaust denial conference?

• Antidote
        February 18, 2011, 10:36 am

Why not? I have no problems with that. They had no problems with Ahmadinejad.You think Ahmadinejad is subhuman or something? I don’t find Holocaust deniers any more objectionable than Holocaust abusers (for the purpose of justifying the suffering and ethnic cleansing of other people)

But no, I meant Neturei karta pointing out that “Zionism is against Judaism”, and that not all Jews, orthodox or otherwise, are ‘pro-Israel’, whatever the cost. And that Neturei karta gets beaten up by the Israeli police during their protests. So much for Jewish solidarity, a fantasy many non-Jews have. Also the basis for anti-semitic conspiracy theories that promote Holocaust denial, among other issues

• Chaos4700
        February 18, 2011, 5:37 pm

Yes, because of course it was a Holocaust denial conference ATTENDED BY JEWISH RABBIS.

Seriously. I wish the moderators would just let me be succinct in calling you out for what you are.

February 18, 2011, 7:20 pm

yup, there were a dozen knuckle-dragging ultra-Orthodox rabbis there.
        they were the same sort of rabbis who went around saying that God caused the Germans to inflict the Holocaust upon the Jews because the Jews were insufficiently pious.

those guys fit in very well with the gross little regime in Iran and with the little creep who goes around saying that there are no homosexuals in his country. they execute a number of homosexuals every year in Iran, but the neanderthals there are careful to say that they’re being killed because they’re rapists.

• Antidote
        February 20, 2011, 3:55 pm

I’m looking forward to the time when ‘pro-Israel’ Jews face fines and prison terms for misrepresenting the views of ‘anti-Israel’ Jews.

Everything you state about NK at the Teheran conference is distortion and slander.

Holocaust denial is a political, not a historical issue. People misrepresent the Holocaust all the time. That’s fine, apparently, as long as the argument is ‘pro-Israel”. Dershowitz, for instance, claims that ‘hundreds of thousands of survivors of the death camps’ (quoted from memory, see his The Case for Israel) had no other place to go but Palestine, and were cruelly rejected by the subhuman Arabs. Right, that’s why they are called ‘death camps’. The guy either has no clue about the Nazi camp system, or he is deliberately distorting historical facts for political objectives.

Or, I read here on MW idiotic statements like:

“six million were slaughtered in the gas chambers”

Get a clue

23. Theo
    February 18, 2011, 8:06 am

Bravo, Annie, your indignant letter should make an impression on 92Y!
    Wish we had a lot more brave citizens who are not scared to speak up against the surpression we are experiencing every single day.

…”the land of the free and the brave” is not free and certainly not brave.
    If I bring up in conversation Israel or Gaza, then suddenly eyes turn hazy with disinterest, friends tuck under the table to avoid the subject.
    And this is the nation that wants to bring freedom and democracy to the world!! They don´t have it even at home, a bunch of hypocrats.

24. Ismail
    February 18, 2011, 9:25 am

I feel a little trepidation about saying so, but my reaction to Abuelaish is complicated. Look, there’s no doubt that the guy is a saint, foreswearing rancor towards the people who incinerated his family. Maybe it’s my moral failing, but I could not begin to imagine reacting in a similar fashion in the face of such a tragedy.

So I would be honored to know him, to spend time with him….but I’m conflicted about his political meaning.

The fact that people like R Witty would be proud to invite him to speak to his congregation is the reddest of flags to me. The fact that he is (was) the darling of left Zionism troubles me. I think of my parents’ friends, swelling with self-congratulation over their brave approval of, say, Sidney Poitier, a credit to his race.

The degree to which folks who tolerate/rationalize/support the Zionist project adore Abuelaish is precisely the degree to which he may be ignored as an indicator of the way ahead. Except to the most feral settler types, his place in the conversation comports with the compassionate self-image of liberal (and, in my view, the more dangerous) Zionists.

Most important, support for him is an example of the fetishization of dialogue by some liberals, the transformation of the political into the psychological. “If we can all just talk and realize our common humanity…” etc etc.

No great social change was ever driven by such kumbayah principles. Struggle, struggle and more struggle…….

I now feel churlish and want to repeat that my respect for Abuelaish is boundless. But I see the great whoosh of love for him from folks who support the “peace process” (and will support it for another 40 years, or 80) as an indicator of his political marginality; a comfortable reassurance of their humanity to those who endlessly tolerate the inhumane.

25. Kathleen
    February 18, 2011, 9:56 am

Phil do you know if Cooper Union is being pressured in any way to block the talk? One of the best debates ever about the conflict at Cooper Union some years ago. You can find it by googling Scribe Media Israeli Palestinian conflict…Cooper Union..Worth listening to

Unable to link

The Israel Lobby: Does it Have Too Much Influence on US Foreign …Oct 11, 2006 … The above debate took place at Cooper Union in New York City. … Reprint permissions can be directed to ScribeMedia via email at pubs [at] …
    link to scribemedia.org – Cached – Similar

26. Kathleen
    February 18, 2011, 10:43 am

Let’s get all the folks we know in the New York City area to this talk at Cooper Union. Overflowing….

Wonder if Amy Goodman will be having him on again. Hell lets go after Rachel Maddow and the rest of the talking heads who block out the truth about the I/P conflict. Best bets for breaking through on MSNBC are Cenk Uygar, Dylan, Chris Matthews.

• hophmi
      February 18, 2011, 11:22 am

“Could you hear the screaming if any of them would have the good and honorable Doctor on their programs?”

No Kathleen, because, as usual, you’re just spouting paranoid nonsense. I do not think there would be any outcry if Abulaish appeared on MSNBC or CNN or any other network.

You need to learn to stop stereotyping the American Jewish community. It’s offensive.

February 18, 2011, 11:34 am

what are you talking about? what part of kathleen’s comment stereotypes the american jewish community?

• Chaos4700
        February 18, 2011, 5:39 pm

You mean like the threats that were made to the Canadian university who was going to host Norman Finkelstein? Yeah, that never happens.

• Antidote
        February 18, 2011, 8:37 pm

Chaos, nothing is easier than to scare a Canadian university. I think what happened is this: the employees who approved the lecture at Mohawk (without added security) never heard of Finkelstein or that there might be clashes (no matter how remote the possibility). Then, after the booking was made and advertised, they received calls from people who either don’t like Finkelstein’s view on I/P or have heard that his views are ‘anti-Israel”, or/and that there had been clashes (in the audience) in the past. So the college opts to be on the safe side and adds the security fee last minute, or, depending on who called and why, does so to cancel/relocate the event in order not to offend people who may be financial supporters of this or the other program/cause at the college.

February 18, 2011, 6:53 pm

hophmi, Kathleen is, of course, wrong to say that people would be screaming if the Doctor would be interviewed on television. That would never be the reaction.
        But she never directly ascribed that reaction to the American Jewish community. Let’s leave it to others here to call any disagreement with their positions to be proof of bigotry.

• tree
        February 18, 2011, 11:15 pm

Only hophmi is allowed to do that, as part of his self appointed role of spokesperson for all Jews and mind reader of every Jew. He doesn’t like others to do that because it cuts into his perceived job security.

27. Linda J
    February 18, 2011, 10:52 pm

bad news on injunction to get bus ads up: link to seattletimes.nwsource.com

loss in round one — court case continues, i believe.

February 18, 2011, 10:54 pm

thanks for the update linda.

• Linda J
        February 18, 2011, 11:16 pm

welcome, annie. dang! winning the injunction would been too easy, i guess. i bet we will win when the evidence can be laid out.

February 18, 2011, 11:34 pm

it’s a win win anyway. all attention on war crimes, bds, aparheid…just getting people talking about our relationship with israel, all of it is important. the double standards in the silence that surrounds israel. the fact the zionist community can pressure our politicians. any news is important. i hope it lands in court and gets covered in the press. loudly.

• Linda J
        February 18, 2011, 11:44 pm

thanks, annie. it kind of WAS the bus ad heard round the world already. our attorney pointed that out and then said that no disruption had occurred b/c of that publicity.

anyway, thanks, fuster too.

and cheers to the Seattle MidEast Concerns group who really bought the ad. i wasn’t around for that part but joined in after the shit hit the fan.

February 18, 2011, 11:49 pm

annie, why do you think that it’s a ‘fact the zionist community can pressure our politicians.’

I have the idea that the pool of Americans likely to be offended by that ad is far larger than that.

February 19, 2011, 12:34 am

go ask someone else, i’m not inspired to chat w/a frog.

• Chaos4700
        February 19, 2011, 12:40 am

What, because you think its inconceivable to Americans that Washington politics is driven by wealthy lobbies that sluice millions of dollars into (and out of…) election campaigns, fuster? Right, yeah, most Americans don’t accept that as contemporary fact, huh.

February 19, 2011, 1:02 am

Chaos, we’re discussing the Seattle bus ads, not Washington politics.
        Those ads are designed to piss people off and quite a few people are going to get pissed off at whoever is paying for the ads.
        Lots of god ol’ mericans don’t care to have their country called out like that.
        annie, uninspired as she is, is underestimating the number of regular folks likely to be phoning in their strong disapproval on this.
        lotta people who go around wearing American flag lapel pins aren’t going to like these ads.

February 19, 2011, 1:26 am

Lots of god ol’ mericans don’t care to have their country called out like that.

israel is not my country. israel is not lots of good ol’ american’s country. israel is a foreign country lots of good ol’ americans send money to. lots of good ol’ americans don’t like that.

• yonira
        February 19, 2011, 1:39 am

I think fuster is right. the ad, in demonizing israel, also calls america out for financing the gruesome nature of the occupation. the average joe in america still considers israel our partner in ‘the war on terror’ 9/11 is still fresh any many patriot’s minds.

outside of your movement very few people in america think that israel is an enemy and responsible for the wars in iraq and afghanistan. they are blaming the same group we are fighting, and our friends and family are dying for, and it sure ain’t the israelis…

when you think of it like that, like bibi said, 9/11 was good for israel; maybe he is right, 9/11 set your movement back at least a 1/2 of century.

Beyond the seattle bus ads, if democracy in the arab and/or islamic countries leads to more hatred, threats, and over all unwillingness to accept israel, the average joe in america (and probably through most of western europe) won’t be backing the new democracies.

February 19, 2011, 1:44 am

sorry, annie, if you’re too uninspired to understand that the ads aren’t going to be understood by everyone in the way that they’re intended.
        and remember that the great majority of Americans don’t yet see things your way.

February 19, 2011, 1:49 am

in your dreams maybe.

• yonira
        February 19, 2011, 1:52 am

annie, SF is a lot more forgiving than the rest of the country, (even the east bay) not sure who is dreaming…..

February 19, 2011, 1:53 am

don’t bother apologizing to me frog

February 19, 2011, 2:08 am

yonira, the setting is seattle. i raised my kid there. i know seattle. massively progressive. jim mcdermott country.

i get it, we’re not talking kansas. we lead, they follow. lots of progressive jews in SF, seattle, portland, arcadia, eugene, humbolt, berkeley, santa cruz, oakland, san jose, ashland, bellingham, marin, west marin, bolinas, westport, petaluma, sonoma, santa rosa, eureka, albion, mendocino, humbolt, palo alto, davis, nevada city, the san juans, tacoma.

that’s just for starters. wake the f up. where the northwest goes, the country follows. it takes awhile but they follow. you know why? because of go west young wo/man. the wild ones go west. we lead the nation.

• Chaos4700
        February 19, 2011, 2:34 am

Not to be contrary, but whereas perhaps the West gets the publicity, it’s the Midwest where the shovel first enters the dirt to dig the foundation. The eight hour / five day work week, unemployment insurance, and workman’s compensation all started in Wisconsin — the very state that even right now is fielding massive protests against efforts to strip away worker’s rights and protections as we speak (virtually, anyway).

We’ve also successfully been fielding anti-Occupation ads for a bit, now. Billboards, most recently.

February 19, 2011, 2:56 am

you got your proof today annie that America and Americans don’t see things your way, but hang on to YOUR dreams annie, you mean well.

February 19, 2011, 3:05 am

I LOVE Wisconsin . but we rule

;)

• Chaos4700
        February 19, 2011, 3:22 am

Well, I can’t argue that. To be honest, it often feels like Wisconsin has to play Munchkinland to someone else’s Emerald City. Would be nice if our tornadoes actually did drop houses on evil despots, though.

February 19, 2011, 4:39 am

wisconsin makes a huge difference. you hold the middle. you massively rock. there are also radical pockets all over our middle lands and we know it and appreciate you. we’re permeating and we make a difference. wisconsin is huge.

February 18, 2011, 11:17 pm

Early round, Linda. Hang in.

28. hughsansom
    February 19, 2011, 9:48 am

Note the language of the 92nd St. Y announcement — a Palestinian terrorist shot Blumenfeld’s father, but Abuelaish “lost three of his daughters during a raid.”

What? Did they get lost on their way home from school? A raid by whom? The Shining Path? The IRA?

The Y language is standard, racist, anti-Palestine, pro-Israel newspeak intended to conceal the facts from Americans. Vile and malicious.