Holy moley, Rick Perry says ‘my faith requires me to support Israel’

From Justin Elliott at Salon, more at the link:

Josh Rogin…  digs up an interview Perry gave to the Weekly Standard in 2009 in which the Texas governor explicitly said his views on the Middle East are informed by his evangelical Christianity:

“My faith requires me to support Israel.”

That’s a remarkable statement for a man who could be president — beingrequired by one’s faith to support a foreign country. Of course, what “support” means is open to interpretation; I’ve asked Perry’s office for elaboration.

It’s only in the context of his Christian Zionism that Perry’s emotional new comments to Time about Israel and its West Bank settlement project make any sense:

“The idea that the President would make this statement about going back to the ’67 borders sent a chill down all of my friends’ back and certainly mine. Israel is our friend. Israel is a democracy in the middle of a part of the world where having a democracy is really important.”

I suspect we’ll be hearing a lot more of this rhetoric from Perry as he tries to attract pro-Israel evangelical voters in the GOP primary.

1. Citizen
    August 11, 2011, 12:49 pm

So what’s new? Candidate Bachmann says the bible commands all Christians to support Israel come hell or high water anywhere. Write-in candidate Palin echoes Bachmann. All the republican candidates echo SOP Zionist mission, even if they never heard the word “Zionism.”

• lysias
      August 11, 2011, 1:42 pm

You’re forgetting Ron Paul is one of those candidates, and at the moment he is third in the latest Gallup poll and, according to the Washington Post, has a good chance of winning this coming weekend’s straw poll in Iowa.

• Citizen
        August 11, 2011, 1:59 pm

You are correct, lysias. I’m getting old and forgetful. But somehow I don’t think enough Americans will vote for him. I mean, heck, he was saying the same things he does now back in 1988, and has never stopped, and most Americans still don’t “get” him. I voted for him btw, and supported his campaign financially last time around. Too bad Jefferson can’t come back from the grave to tell the masses Ron Paul is the man. Big Banking is a core curse, & 1913 birth of Fed Reserve has exasperated the problem immensely. No wonder Wilson said in his golden years that was the worse mistake he ever made for the future of the USA.

• stopaipac
        August 11, 2011, 8:11 pm

Many Americans would not support Ron Paul, a right-wing extremist who supports an end to Social Security and govt programs that help working people. who would end protections of the environment against corporate greed. Many people would not support someone who opposes civil rights protections, including affirmative action, who says he thought the Civil Rights act was unconstitutional. To hell with the politics of Ron Paul… getting one thing sort of right does not a good President make. we’ve heard of the phrase “Progressive Except for Palestine” or PEP applied to politicians. For the likes of Ron Paul, maybe he deserves REP label, Reactionary Except for Palestine.

• Shingo
        August 11, 2011, 8:43 pm

stopaipac,

Ron Paul is no extremist, and your representation of him is completely off the mark. He’s opposed every war, opposes the insane military expendituer and foreign bases. He argues against meddling in other states, arguing in favor fo trading with them rather than giving them aid.

While it sounds good in principal, Social Security is broken and nothing more than a ponzi scheme. Like all ponzi schemes, it benefits those who get in early. Having said that, Paul has stated very clearly that he realizes is woudl be draconians to cut it at this stage, as there are too many people who depend on it.

He has never opposed civil rights protections. On the contrary, he argues that many government policies threaten civil rights. He known the constituion inside out, so if he might well be right that the Civil Rights act was unconstitutional. That doesn’t mean he is opposed to civil rights. The consitution might well need to be ammended to accomodate the Civil Rights act, but as a law maker, he has sworn to uphold the Consitution.

That’s called being consistent.

• Shingo
        August 12, 2011, 12:42 am

lysias and stopaipac,

Just watch Ron Paul shred that idiot Rick Santorum and then tell me he’s an extremist.

link to rawstory.com

• lysias
        August 12, 2011, 12:00 pm

Ron Paul isn’t just right on the wars, he’s also right on restoring civil liberties. In my view, those are two very important issues.

And, as far as I know, Shingo is correct in saying Ron Paul would only dismantle Social Security slowly and gradually.

• annie
        August 12, 2011, 12:12 pm

shred is right, and the audience goes nuts for him. they shut him out last time, even tho he was neck and neck w/the frontrunner all the way thru. he’s not in their club.

• Citizen
        August 12, 2011, 12:30 pm

lysias, yes, and he’s also right on monetary policy; he wants no plunder wars, no eroding of due process, transparency, if not no Fed Reserve, real monitoring of entitlement fraud, awareness of how the patient & tending doctor are the two that get screwed by the current health care system–that’s a lot of wisdom–he was the only one that shown evidence of knowledge of ME history, & of the finer points of the Constitution. I’m not sure about his stance on Social Security. Since SS is being overwhelmed by demographic growth of retirees & lessening of new workers in the system, this will be a problem in future, although that system, with its interest, is still good for many years & does not presently add to the debt problem. I will check out his stance of SS… but the others are REALLY SCARY!

• Citizen
        August 12, 2011, 12:39 pm

OK, I just checked, and now I recall he actually said this last night. He would protect older retires on SS & due to get it fairly soon, who have put money into it their work years, but he wants younger workers to be able to opt out of it & get their own private security because it is not sustainable in longer run. Is that so bad?

• Shingo
        August 11, 2011, 8:45 pm

Great, let’s hope Paul does win.

He’s the only law maker on Capitol Hill who hasn’t sold his soul.

• lysias
        August 12, 2011, 12:05 pm

Dan Balz in today’s Washington Post is getting his readers ready for a Ron Paul victory in the Iowa straw poll, telling them in advance that it would be meaningless: GOP debate kicks campaign into new phase:

Paul was a forceful presence on the stage, delivering his antiwar message with passion. He could be a spoiler Saturday, though a value of a surprise first-place straw poll finish likely is questionable.

And Chris Cilizza chimes in in his Washington Post blog this morning: Could Ron Paul win the Ames Straw Poll?:

There is little expectation that a Paul victory at Ames — even if did come to pass — would mean much of anything in the race to come.

2. mig
    August 11, 2011, 12:54 pm

Hmmm, i cant figure out what democracy has to do with -67 borders….

• Hostage
      August 11, 2011, 10:17 pm

Hmmm, i cant figure out what democracy has to do with -67 borders….

I believe that the Israelis are trying to revive the law of conquest by requiring a national referendum before they’ll agree to return one more inch.

3. DICKERSON3870
    August 11, 2011, 1:03 pm

RE: “My faith requires me to support Israel.” ~ Perry

MY SNARK: And exactly what “faith” might that be, Governor Perry? The “faith” of MENDACITY, perchance?

SEE: Governor Perry’s trip to Israel in question ~ WeAreAustin(dot)com, 11/23/09

(excerpt) The city of Jerusalem is one of the oldest cities in the world and it has a new defender: Texas Governor Rick Perry.
    In August, Perry was given the “Defender of Jerusalem” award. So Perry and his wife flew first class to Israel at more than $5,000 per ticket. The governor’s security detail of four Department of Public Safety (DPS) officers was also along for the trip.
    They all took the 7,000 mile journey to accept the award at a time when the governor was asking everyone else in state government to cut back on travel. During a speech in Houston, Perry directed state agencies to “curtail taxpayer funded travel.”
    According to state documents, the taxpayers’ bill just to take Perry’s security officers on the 5-day trip was more than $70,000. The breakdown includes $17,000 for rooms at the swanky King David Hotel, nearly $13,000 for food and more than 350 hours of overtime…

SOURCE – link to weareaustin.com

P.S. ALSO SEE: Tx. Gov. Rick Perry compares the US and Israel… (and my comments thereto) – link to mondoweiss.net

• DICKERSON3870
      August 11, 2011, 3:25 pm

P.S. FROM Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958):

Big Daddy: What’s that smell in this room? Didn’t you notice it, Brick? Didn’t you notice the powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity?
      Brick: Yes, sir, I think I did.
      Big Daddy: Ain’t nothing more powerful than the odor of mendacity…..Didn’t you notice it, Gooper?
      Grooper: What, sir?
      Big Daddy (to Mae): What about you, Sister Woman? Didn’t you notice an unpleasant smell of mendacity in this room?
      Mae: I don’t even know what that is.
      Big Daddy: You can smell it. It smells like death.

P.P.S. A SCENE PRECEDING THE ONE ABOVE
      Mendacity – Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (VIDEO, 01:08) — link to youtube.com

4. Dan Crowther
    August 11, 2011, 1:03 pm

And he’s gonna be the next president. dark, dark days ahead

• DICKERSON3870
      August 11, 2011, 3:38 pm

RE: “he’s gonna be the next president” ~ Dan Crowther

REPLY: Over my (already) dead body! ~ J.C.

• MHughes976
        August 11, 2011, 4:09 pm

Yes, I couldn’t help catching my breath when I saw that prediction. Perry hasn’t attempted the Compassionate Conservative image which worked for Bush, so perhaps would find it difficult to build a coalition with the Romney element within Republicanism. Evangelicalism turns a lot of people off and indeed many Jewish people must be uncomfortable with the flat-out dispensationalist message, which may involve arming Israel to the teeth for a while but eventually calls for conversion or death. Gog seems to come into the story somewhere.
        -Well, these things are what I tell myself sometimes.

• Citizen
        August 11, 2011, 8:40 pm

MHughes976, I think the fundi leaders and Zionist leaders really don’t care who is their useful tools; they are using each other. It’s a win-win because the Hagees get richer & more powerful & get to rationalize their base motives by convincing themselves they are doing God’s work & will be rewarded in heaven as well. The Zionists of course, don’t believe in pie in the sky, but pie and land here on earth; they are busy gobbling up the pie as they pretend they want to divide it up. They laugh at the Hagees behind their back. Likely utterly despize then.

• Dan Crowther
        August 12, 2011, 8:19 am

hahaha.

Obama’s numbers are trending down, the economy is getting worse and the austerity plan hasn’t even kicked in yet. But, maybe more importantly , O has been completely re-branded as a big wuss by the msm, and once that happens – its over. It will be a choice between ” a real man” and the “bend-overer in chief”

To say nothing of the fact that his “base” HATES the guy. And im not talking about the obama bumper sticker on your volvo “base” – im talking about the true blue kool-aid drinkers that knocked on doors, made calls, held signs etc. ( and i know some volvo drivers were among these people, i was referring non activist dem’s) –those people are really not feelin it.

Enter Perry. Handsome Texan who loves jesus – AND can say “i am a self made man” – thats gonna be good enough for the Ron Paul types when it comes to the general, they love the idea of authoritarian governance by those who “earned it.” So, he’s got the evangelicals, who will go out in droves knowing that they are on the precipice of getting what they want (for real this time, the federal bench is wiiiiiide open) – he’s got the Ron Paul “every man woman and child for themselves” crowd. He’ll also be viable among blue collar folks because he LOVES guns and again, he’s a rock jawed texan, “tough” plays very well here.

Obama on the other hand will have to explain his policies to the remaining folks, who also happen to be the most adversely affected by those same policies.

It’s over for O.

• Shingo
        August 12, 2011, 9:14 am

You couldn’t be more off the mark.

Ron Paul types despise Perry as much as you do. Just look at the roars Paul got when he eviscerated Santorum (a Perry type). Paul would have Perry for breakfast in a debate.

The Ron Paul types will sooner abstain than vote for a religious nut job.

• Dan Crowther
        August 12, 2011, 10:23 am

shingo,

I wish I was “off the mark” but, sadly I am not. Ron Paul wont be on the ballot in November. And “Ron Paul types” are alot like “Ralph Nader types” in that they eventually vote for the “establishment candidate” from their respective side of the political spectrum. Now, if Ron Paul were to make a third party run, that would be a different story altogether…..And, also I think alot of people who say that they favor Paul do so because of the embarrassment they feel for being two time Dubya voters. Its a great way for “conservatives” to distance themselves from Dubya. In the end, they find their way home. And those who would abstain are a very very small percentage of the vote.

• Citizen
        August 12, 2011, 10:39 am

How do you know what you say Dan Crowther? I never voted for any Bush, but I voted for Ron Paul last cycle in primary & financially supported him; I will again this year. The current other Republican candidates are really scary supremist war mongers. I won’t vote for Obama either. I guess my vote ultimately will be useless.

• Dan Crowther
        August 12, 2011, 11:45 am

Well, for starters, only about 10% of voters are self described “libertarians” – and most of them are registered republicans.

Some people are truly independent, like it sounds you are – but that is not the case in general. Most independents have leanings one way or the other, and many vote for the nominee of the two parties in the end. And I said that some of his supporters will abstain, but you talking about a tiny tiny number of people.

• Shingo
        August 12, 2011, 10:45 pm

With all due respects Dan,

I strikes me as perrty obvious that you have no idea what “Ron Paul types” are, or you are confusing them with swing voters on the right who take a momentary liking to him. Ron Paul types despise all the other candidates, adn visa versa. In fact, the in spite of winning this week’s debate by a huge margin, the MSM is not even mentioning his name on the ballot.

he tried that before and found out that this was a failing strategy. Sadly, we are stuck with a 2 party system that does not give 3rd parties any chance.

True, in fact, most saunch right wingers tried to rebrand themselves as libertarians, while rejecting al libertarian idealogy.

And those who would abstain are a very very small percentage of the vote.

False. Those who abstain are usually the majority.

• Dan Crowther
        August 13, 2011, 1:33 pm

Shingo,

True, a majority of Americans abstain – but I was referring to libertarians who would do so on principle. The fact is, libertarians vote. I dont want to be a jerk, but I do know alot of Ron Paul supporters (my wifes dad for example) who have voted republican in the general election when there is no other option. And again, on the down the ballot races, there are usually local candidates that draw libertarians to the polls. Libertarians have done a good job at getting into state and municipal races. And when they are in the booth with the “shades drawn”……..

And not for nothing, your telling me that Ron Paul types wont vote for the republican nominee, but your doing so as a Ron Paul guy who wont vote for a republican, seems a lil subjective. Shingo, your right about alot on this site, and you might be right here too, Im cool with leaving it at that.

• Citizen
        August 13, 2011, 3:11 pm

Well, Dan Crowther, I voted for Ron Paul, and will do so again in primary & for the final, I won’t vote for Obama or any of the other Repub contenders on the scene now. For state & local in last long ballot I usually ended up voting for 3rd party candidates; if there were only main party contenders for a slot, I also checked out their position on the issues, and picked the lesser of two evils to best of my ability. I have no way of knowing if I am particularly atypical; I’d guess at least a bit less so this coming cycle around.

• Shingo
        August 13, 2011, 9:03 pm

The point I am trying to make Dan,

Is that there are Ron Paul types and then there are those that vote for Raul Paul because they cannot stomach the other candidates.

And further to that, I have no time for those who misunderstand his policies and ideas and disapariage him based on ignorance. This si a man who put all his kids through university education (out of his own pocket) refuses to accept government health cover (for him and his family) and refuses to collect a government pension.

So clearly he walks the talk.

And what is most revealing is that a growing portion of his base are progressives who can set aside their gag reflex to anyone that questions welfare long enough to hear his ideas on alternative ways to provide for the unemployed, the needy and the sick.

IN terms of foreign policy, his position is emaculate, and he’s the only guy on Capitol Hill who’s not on the payroll of AIPAC and who does not shy away from stating that Israel has hundreds of nukes, nor is he afraid to mention the CIA coupd to overthrow Mossadegh.

That puts him miles ahead of anyone else, including Obama in my book.

• Dan Crowther
        August 15, 2011, 12:01 pm

Shingo,

Hey, I like Ron Paul. I think a Ron Paul/ Civil Libertarian from the Left ticket would be ideal. I think I was a little biased, as I had just talked to my wifes dad about Paul, and he is one of the guys who has voted “R” when he doesnt have a libertarian to vote for.

Ive long said that a guy like Paul is who the Left needs – because even though he wants smaller government, he still wants the government to “work” – which, at leas to me, means HIRE THE LEFT to do the business of government. People need to be ideologically committed to public service, and I think Paul would be the one to realize that stuffing agencies full of people ideologically opposed to their jobs even existing ( as we have seen from EVERY republican administration) is no way to “shrink” government – if you want to make it small, have people who BELIEVE in what they are doing – i think this idea should be the basis for any libertarian/liberal partnership

5. agog
    August 11, 2011, 1:05 pm

Canada already has its own version of Rick Perry in Stephen Harper who, unfortunately, is the Prime Minister.

I suspect very few Canadians understand why their government has taken such a pro-Israel lurch in recent years.

• James
      August 11, 2011, 3:52 pm

agag – harper is another of these christian fundy types who is incapable of getting past the letter of the bible… the section where jesus was talking in parables is completely lost on the fundamentalists… harper is a first class embarrassment for us canucks… i guess all the financial support and media support was just too much to turn down… canucks are pretty dumb to have voted for him, or to have let the conservative party come back from the dead….

• MRW
        August 12, 2011, 5:25 pm

The Canadian Conservative party used to be as conservative as the Democrats here.

Harper’s is best friends with David Frum,

6. Exiled At Home
    August 11, 2011, 1:26 pm

This is called dispensationalism, Phil, and it is nothing novel. 50 million Americans ascribe to this sinister perversion of Christianity.

• Donald
      August 11, 2011, 4:01 pm

Yeah, it’s not new. According to wikipedia link, 28 million people had bought “The Late Great Planet Earth” by 1990. That was a book discussing how the world was supposed to end. Israel plays a central role as God’s favorite country. It came out in the 1970’s and was the “Left Behind” equivalent for its time period.

It’s a mistake to think that AIPAC is the only reason the US supports Israel. They play a big role, obviously, but the Christian Zionists have some clout with the Republicans. Probably more now that the party has gone completely insane.

• Exiled At Home
        August 11, 2011, 4:18 pm

The interesting thing about it is the Christian Zionists are being used by Israel. Neither is friend to the other, Christian Zionists are such ardent defenders of the Jewish state because in their minds the Jews must control the Holy Land before the Second Coming of Christ, when of course, all the Jews will be wiped out. Not a very good future for the Jews; but Israel will gladly take the moral support from these fanatics in the short-term.

• Charon
      August 11, 2011, 7:02 pm

Emphasis on perversion. It’s a hoax created in the 19th century.

Israel, Palestine, and Iran play absolutely no part in the apocalyptic myths of the Bible. Those are modern interpretations made by lunatics. Prophecy is stupid. If I prophesize that I’m going to eat breakfast for dinner and then eat breakfast for dinner, I just fulfilled a prophecy. If the book of revelation says some terrible end times BS and a militarized country tries to make it come real despite going against the morality in the teaching, they’re terrorists.

• MRW
      August 12, 2011, 5:29 pm

Menachem Begin started it in the later 70s.

7. Leper Colonialist
    August 11, 2011, 2:05 pm

Does Gov Perry’s so-called faith require him to stand with his coreligionists in Israel who suffer discrimination and harassment at the hands of the ethno-religious chauvanists who make up the Zionist majority? Or is there not enough votes in that for it to matter to him?

Xtians like gov Perry always make me feel much more warmly about the lions.

• Woody Tanaka
      August 11, 2011, 3:04 pm

“Does Gov Perry’s so-called faith require him to stand with his coreligionists in Israel who suffer discrimination and harassment at the hands of the ethno-religious chauvanists who make up the Zionist majority?”

To Christians like Perry, Arab Christians are Arabs, so therefore don’t exist.

And when reminded they DO exist, Christians like Perry are able to clearly establish — through the process of assumption, guesswork, and propaganda — that those Arab Christians are partners with the Jews in the great Judeo-Christian fight against the Islam.

• lysias
        August 11, 2011, 4:35 pm

Also, I know a lot of American evangelical Christians do not believe Catholics and members of the mainline Protestant denominations are Christians. So I doubt if they consider any of the Eastern Christian churches to be genuinely Christian either.

With that, contrast the attitude of most American Protestants towards the genocide of the Armenians during World War One, when there was great sympathy here for the Armenians, precisely as Christians. But then, most American missionary work in the Near East was done by Presbyterians, who therefore were the Americans with the most contact with Armenians, and Presbyterians are a mainline denomination.

• Woody Tanaka
        August 11, 2011, 4:52 pm

Those are some very good point, lysias.

8. Chu
    August 11, 2011, 2:14 pm

‘my political survival faith requires me to support Israel’

There, there Rick. We know, and we’ve heard it all before.

9. annie
    August 11, 2011, 2:56 pm

good for elliot/salon.

10. DICKERSON3870
    August 11, 2011, 4:50 pm

RE: “Holy moley, Rick Perry says ‘my faith requires me to support Israel’ ” ~ Weiss

ALSO SEE: Radical Christian group believes Gov. Perry will lead U.S. to godly government, By Eric W. Dolan, 08/10/11

(excerpts) Forrest Wilder of the Texas Observer appeared on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Show to discuss the New Apostolic Reformation, a evangelical Christian group that sees Texas Gov. Rick Perry as their chance to overtake the U.S. government.
    Wilder previously reported that members of the religious movement told Gov. Perry that Texas was “The Prophet State,” which would to lead the United States into godly government, with the governor playing a special part.
    “The theological basis for the New Apostolic Reformation movement is about taking control of the ‘seven mountains’ — government, media, family, arts and entertainment, so on and so forth,” he explained…
    Watch video, courtesy of MSNBC – link to rawstory.com

SOURCE – link to rawstory.com

11. Charon
    August 11, 2011, 6:58 pm

Perry also believes in solving economic problems with prayer. He’s a nutcase. No Evangelical fundie is ever going to be president. There are a lot of dumb Americans, but not enough to elect one of these rapturous fundies. At least I hope there isn’t.

IRL I’ve begun telling people if they believe in the rapture they’re idiots. Because it is a 19th century hoax created by John Nelson Darby (and made further popular by Cyrus Scofield). I hate how people believe that “Israel” the modern militarized sociopathic nuclear nation state is the same “Israel” in scripture.

12. john h
    August 11, 2011, 10:23 pm

Wasn’t that what Bush was? 8 long years… but Carter was and is something else entirely.

I hate that too. My Christian faith requires of me that I don’t support Zionism, but actively oppose it. It especially requires that I expose so-called Christian Zionism at every opportunity for the contradiction and oxymoron it is, and its betrayal of so much that Jesus Christ stands for.

• Hostage
      August 11, 2011, 10:50 pm

Bush was a Methodist, but was out of step with their official positions. The Methodists are one of the leading mainstream denominations that have backed the global BDS movement. Carter was a Southern Baptist, but subsequently called for a New Baptist Covenant. He opposed the denomination’s conservative political and cultural positions on the environment, poverty, and global conflicts.

13. john h
    August 12, 2011, 12:36 am

Bush was a Methodist, but was out of step with their official positions.

Just how out of step was he? “Bush is very much into the apocalyptic and messianic thinking of militant Christian evangelicals” (Bush’s Messiah Complex, The Progressive, February 2003). Just what that meant in regard to Israel is unclear to me, but my impression is he may well not have personally subscribed to Christian Zionism as a belief system.

What is clear is that he freely mixed with evangelicals, nearly all of which were Christian Zionists. Early on he was made well aware that it was their votes that were as crucial as those of AIPAC supporters, and hence their pernicious influence over those 8 years.

14. john h
    August 12, 2011, 5:13 am

Hostage, great first link, full of concrete backup support, thanks.

Perhaps all we need to know about Bush is that he was/is a Christian from the South living amongst his own people where so much of that faith comprises Christian Zionists mesmerized by Hagee and his ilk. It’s hard to do so without some of it rubbing off when it seems so full of righteous zeal and has been mixed with what is otherwise ok. That’s how all kinds of cults hook the gullible and naive and those looking for a high.

15. MRW
    August 12, 2011, 5:20 pm

jewsonfirst.org did a great report on this yesterday:
    link to jewsonfirst.org

16. john h
    August 12, 2011, 8:22 pm

The MRW link contains some gems.

“As soon as an ‘us’ is created, there is the risk of creating a ‘them'”.

That is exactly what Bush did with his “If you are not for us you are against us”, a statement he later regretted.

“in the hope of restoring the nation to its rightful place, once again, as a shining city upon a hill and a light unto the nations.”

If there is one thing Jewish history tells us, it is that no nation can be this.
    Israel seemed to in King David’s time and the first part of Solomon’s reign, but that’s about it.

“Christian Zionists also relate this [Genesis 12:3, I will bless those who bless you, and curse him who curses you] to a national blessing and see unfettered support of Israel as essential to the reception of God’s blessings in America now.”

This is one of the most misused verses in the Bible. It is used by Christian Zionists in much the same way as is the charges of anti-Semitism and self-hatred. That is, to silence and to create fear in anyone who doesn’t toe the party line.

“we have let [in] idols — an idol is an illegitimate, unauthorized person, place or thing — to whom God’s people look for solutions, hope and help.”

And what is the greatest idol of all, the one they all bow down to?

“Israel, in effect, has become the new “Golden Calf”, the new idolatry.”(from an Amazon review by Irene Rheinwald of Rabkin’s “A Threat from Within: A History of Jewish Opposition to Zionism”)