Blues band ‘Tuba Skinny’ cancels Eilat, reportedly responding to boycott appeal

Tuba Skinny is an upandcoming New Orleans jazz and blues band. It has cancelled a show in Eilat, Israel, scheduled for tomorrow night, without explanation at its website. Electronic Intifadah says Tuba Skinny did so after receiving cultural boycott materials, and an urgent plea not to play Israel… EI:

The group has joined the picket line of Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, the late Gil Scott-Heron, Carlos Santana, Pete Seeger, Massive Attack, Faithless, Gorillaz Sound System, The Tindersticks and the Klaxxons.

Update: Commenter Eljay directed me to Tuba Skinny’s facebook page, where singer Erika Lewis wrote on Friday:

1. rachelgolem
    August 21, 2011, 1:44 am

A few more boycotts like this and Intel may stop making the world’s best microprocessors in Israel.

• justicewillprevail
      August 21, 2011, 6:10 am

That wouldn’t be a great loss, since they can make them in their plants in the US, Philippines, China, Malaysia etc. Do you really think a multinational would risk relying on an operation in a politically volatile, unstable country governed by buffoons and racists, eager to go to war at the drop of a hat?

• CigarGod
      August 21, 2011, 8:19 am

When one values prosperity over freedom, one is capable of justifying anything.

• ehrens
      August 21, 2011, 8:20 am

A little more economic pressure on Israel would be ideal. The Intel plants in Chandler, Arizona; Santa Clara, California; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Leixlip, Ireland; Hudson, Massachusetts; Rio Rancho, New Mexico; and Hillsboro, Oregon will keep supplying chips.

• Walid
      August 21, 2011, 9:36 am

“A few more boycotts like this and Intel may stop making the world’s best microprocessors in Israel”

Israel’s self-destruction is approaching and when it happens, Intel will simply relocate to China or India. It’s already pissed off at the Shabbat closing forced on it by the Haredim.

2. longliveisrael
    August 21, 2011, 1:53 am

Yes, they will instead be playing in Hama, Syria. Who needs these idiots.

August 21, 2011, 8:10 am

They prefer to play in Beirut – at least there’s no APARTHEID in Lebanon and your vicious attempts to stir evil sectarian warfare there have also utterly failed. Heh heh heh.

Here’s the BLO (Brass Liberation Orchestra) taking a shot at Apartheid:

August 21, 2011, 8:37 am

Here’s another Sunday musical interlude for you longlive – my personal favorite line in this song: “NO FEAR”:

3. annie
    August 21, 2011, 3:34 am

swwwweeet!

4. Richard Witty
    August 21, 2011, 4:09 am

You must be joking Phil, “after receiving cultural boycott materials, and an urgent plea not to play Israel”.

You did put that up as humor, as sarcasm about the reasoning of EI, right?

5. es1982
    August 21, 2011, 4:20 am

This isn’t necessarily an endorsement of the boycott. They could have just freaked out because of the terrorist attack on Thursday just a few miles north of where they were supposed to perform. Maybe they’re afraid to be blown up by Palestinian terrorists coming in through Sinai.

• pabelmont
      August 21, 2011, 7:44 am

This is a new view of Israel as a security-state. Think of how Israel guards the borders of the territory it controls from encroachment from Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Gaza, and West Bank. Its reputation for security is enormous and, I imagine, as to those places, well earned.

And now we learn that it was not guarding its long border with Sinai, not even after the Egyptian police were somewhat weakened after events in Tahrir Square.

And then, after the recent terror attack from Sinai — not from Gaza for a change — although it did shoot 5 Egyptian police or army folks, it decided that it needed a “whipping boy” [i.e., non-guilty person chosen to receive punishment due to another, protected, person] and then satisfied its retaliatory impulse by doing a little recreational bombing in Gaza. (I bet that really scared the Egyptian government, people, army, and the terrorists who were actually responsible).

• Walid
        August 21, 2011, 9:54 am

“And then, after the recent terror attack from Sinai — not from Gaza for a change — although it did shoot 5 Egyptian police or army folks, it decided that it needed a “whipping boy” [i.e., non-guilty person chosen to receive punishment due to another, protected, person] and then satisfied its retaliatory impulse by doing a little recreational bombing in Gaza.” (pabelmont)

It’s an old annual Biblical custom, but instead of simply throwing a goat off a cliff, Israelis now go out and snuff out a few Palestinians throughout the year:

“… A Biblical tradition was to march a scapegoat from the temple to the desert and throw it away to the abyss, as part of the ceremonies of the day of Atonement. This was commanded in Leviticus 16 10: ‘But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.’ The goat was believed to carry the sins of the people placed on it, and by sending it to perish the goat would take their sins away.”

link to biblewalks.com

• CigarGod
      August 21, 2011, 8:24 am

“…freaked out…”
      You mean like hysterical, home schooled zionists?

Doesn’t sound like the Blues, to me.

• ehrens
      August 21, 2011, 8:27 am

Or maybe they know how people are treated by Israeli airport security.

6. Chaos4700
    August 21, 2011, 5:19 am

Wow, the Zionists are all in a tizzy about this. If they weren’t concerned they’d be COMPLETELY absent from the comments, like they are whenever there’s an article about IDF soldiers killing children.

• annie
      August 21, 2011, 5:25 am

yep

• Cliff
        August 21, 2011, 5:28 am

Exactly.

Yet, here they all are, laughing like Bond villains. Pathetic!

• es1982
      August 21, 2011, 5:39 am

How about reacting to what “the Zionists” said, rather than launching some general attack?

It seems quite absurd to automatically assume this band is participating in the boycott, while the reality just as well might be that they are frightened by the terrorist attacks and the ensuing violence. Do you think there is absolutely no chance that they cancelled their performance for reasons other than the ones you’re hoping for?

• Richard Witty
        August 21, 2011, 5:49 am

If they were frightened away by the violence, and the BDS movement is saying in any way that the violence is PART of the method of motivating boycott, is to adopt fascism pretending to be dissent.

• Chaos4700
        August 21, 2011, 4:08 pm

Because fascism isn’t about, you know taking people’s homes with guns, it’s about jazz festivals being cancelled so that people like Witty have their weekend plans ruined.

• Chaos4700
        August 21, 2011, 6:22 am

Why bother reacting to you? You’re going just bomb another dozen Palestinian kids no matter what I say, and no matter what masked terrorists from God-knows-where do.

August 21, 2011, 8:26 am

Ya think these smart boycotting musicians DON’T KNOW what’s going on in Apartheid israel? Ya think they’re confused about who the REAL villainous oppressors are? Ya think they only read the NYT and have never surfed the internet for mideast news?

• eljay
        August 21, 2011, 9:06 am

>> It seems quite absurd to automatically assume this band is participating in the boycott, while the reality just as well might be that they are frightened by the terrorist attacks and the ensuing violence.

1. I agree. Without an explanation from the band, it’s not clear why they cancelled their show.

2. Erika Lewis is pretty, and has a great voice. :-)

• eljay
        August 21, 2011, 9:21 am

Just found this comment from Erika Lewis on Tuba Skinny’s Facebook page:
        >> In light of the violence in Eilat and the surrounding region, Tuba SKinny will not be performing at The Red Sea Jazz Festival. We are sorry to miss all of you who might be there, and we hope to be able to return at a more peaceful time.

• Philip Weiss
        August 21, 2011, 9:25 am

Thanks Eljay

• eljay
        August 21, 2011, 9:43 am

>> Thanks Eljay

You’re welcome. :-)

• eljay
        August 21, 2011, 10:04 am

I meant to add two things, in light of the new information available from the band itself:

1. The headline should be changed, since it is now clear that “responding to boycott appeal” is inaccurate.

2. While I realize I may be vilified for daring to suggest this, I do hope that Mondoweiss members who, in light of the incorrect information initially available, responded aggressively toward other members will exercise a bit of humility and, at the very least, retract their harsh statements.

Thanks. :-)

• GuiltyFeat
        August 21, 2011, 11:33 am

So Philip, in the interest of journalistic integrity, any chance of you correcting your post or questioning why EI was printing this misleading story hours after Tuba Skinny published their message on Facebook for all the world to see?

Thought not.

• Philip Weiss
        August 21, 2011, 11:37 am

you think we have a definitive answer, i dont think so

• GuiltyFeat
        August 21, 2011, 11:46 am

Er… I think this statement published on Friday:

definitively proves that EI’s story published on Saturday was unresearched, unfact-checked, unproven and untimely. Don’t you?

Did you do any fact-checking when you linked to EI’s story? Eljay uncovered the truth in, I’m guessing, around 30 seconds. What is your responsibility as the original poster to check the veracity of the stories you post? Are you this sloppy with your other links?

I’m being harsh, I know, but if you had put your hand up and said you were duped by a propaganda piece in EI trying to big up BDS artificially, I might have mercy. Instead you’re trying to pretend there’s still some merit in the story without a single piece of corroborating evidence and a fairly damning piece of evidence that refutes the story. Hence my questioning your integrity as editor. What do you think about that? Definitive enough for you?

• es1982
        August 21, 2011, 11:52 am

Since the message said that “we hope to be able to return at a more peaceful time”, rather than “we hope to be able to return after the end of the occupation”, it seems quite clear to me that the security situation in Israel is what prompted this, not a concern for Palestinian rights.

August 21, 2011, 12:00 pm

Some of us don’t care about the reason for the ‘cancellation’. Personally I’m just glad to know that more and more people are re-considering visiting Apartheid israel for any good old and good new reason.

August 21, 2011, 12:04 pm

@guiltyfeat,
        Why do you so often begin your posts with the snooty “Er…”?

• Richard Witty
        August 21, 2011, 12:11 pm

Taxi,
        That theme is the one that is consistent with the thug approach.

‘If they don’t boycott Israel, we’ll organize a boycott of them too’.

August 21, 2011, 12:12 pm

“I’m being harsh, I know”.

Oooh how scary you are. Especially that we know you’ve returned to Mondo just to REPEAT the same old same old finger-wagging hasbara. Or perhaps you’ve returned cuz subconsciously you need reminding of the “harsh” REALITIES OF OCCUPATION AGAIN?

I’m sure you’re having a dandy sunday watching the idf strike at Gaza from your secured colony for ‘jews only’ that my tax dollar has paid for.

Just remember, innocent Palestinians are being bombed and killed as I type this because of YOU AND YOUR ILLEGAL COLONY.

• GuiltyFeat
        August 21, 2011, 12:17 pm

“Some of us don’t care about the reason for the ‘cancellation’. ”

That may be true, but EI cared enough to make something up and Phil cared enough to reprint the lie and make it the headline of his post.

If you’re one of the people who doesn’t care about whether or not this story is true, why are you even joining in this conversation?

• annie
        August 21, 2011, 12:23 pm
        August 21, 2011, 12:31 pm

Richard,
        What’s “thug” is your genocidal zionist occupation.

Guiltyfeat,
        You think I care what terrorist armed settlers think of me?! LOL you can’t stop me “joining” the conversation mate – this here ain’t occupied territory.

And you continue to sound like a prissy entitled colonialist wannabe intellectual with every flaccid argument for ethnic cleansing you put forward.

• GuiltyFeat
        August 21, 2011, 12:38 pm

That’s lovely, Annie. How do you feel about Phil’s sloppy reprinting of a false story from EI.

Kinda makes it hard to trust either of them as reliable sources, no?

• GuiltyFeat
        August 21, 2011, 12:46 pm

Taxi, honey, you’re such a charmer. It’s always a pleasure exchanging ideas with you. I just know that, together, we can do anything (as long as you learn to control that temper of yours, you’re less handsome when your temples are throbbing).

• Richard Witty
        August 21, 2011, 12:51 pm

Taxi,
        Its more than likely that they are both thugs.

Is that what you advocate for?

• annie
        August 21, 2011, 1:20 pm

you didn’t answer my questions GF. i’ll address your strawman later, maybe.

August 21, 2011, 1:22 pm

Guiltyfeat you’re absolutely right: I have a renowned talent for charming euro snakes that have colonized the wilds of Judea, Sumaria, the Galilee and the Golan.

And Richard, if you think for a moment that I equate the occupier’s violence with the resistance of the occupied, you’re sorely mistaken.

Get over yourself: this war is NOT a war of equals.

• Walid
        August 21, 2011, 1:36 pm

“in light of the incorrect information initially available, responded aggressively toward other members will exercise a bit of humility and, at the very least, retract their harsh statements.”

No retraction from me or anyone else, eljay, because we mostly all responded to snarky comments by the Zionists here and not because of anything to do with BDS.

• Richard Witty
        August 21, 2011, 2:47 pm

And, you are willing to act as a thug, as the ends justify the means?

August 21, 2011, 3:39 pm

“… you are willing to act as a thug…”

Git-outta here Richard – ya think I’m gonna seriously engage with your hypocrisy and pathetic baiting?

I discerned long time ago that I’d rather be cleaning my oven than have ANY kinda debate with your passive-aggressive fakeries.

• Chaos4700
        August 21, 2011, 4:04 pm

And, you are willing to act as a thug, as the ends justify the means?

Remind us again how the Nakba is merely “no longer necessary,” Witty.

• CigarGod
        August 21, 2011, 7:30 pm

Chaos: I have thought about his comment since he made it (“…no longer necessary.”)
        In my opinion, only a sociopath would make such a comment.
        If he truly is one, he simply doesn’t have the ability to understand what he said that was wrong…nor will you ever have any success in reasoning with him.

• eljay
        August 21, 2011, 7:37 pm

>> Remind us again how the Nakba is merely “no longer necessary,” Witty.

————————————
        >> Chaos4700: … Then why was it necessary for Jewish immigrants to ethnically cleanse massive swaths of the Palestinian country side? …
        >> RW: Currently its not necessary.

But:
        >> RW: I cannot consistently say that “ethnic cleansing is never necessary”.
        >> RW: If I was an adult in 1948, I probably would have supported whatever it took to create the state of Israel, and held my nose at actions that I could not possibly do myself.
        ————————————

• Richard Witty
        August 22, 2011, 6:59 am

Refer to the whole posts please, in your quotes, and in your thinking.

• Chaos4700
        August 22, 2011, 9:23 am

Why? You never do. Most of the time we catch you with your pants down, having not read anything but the headlines.

We DID read you post, Witty. Has it occurred to you that the context of it doesn’t make it any prettier? You stated in not so many words that you would have built the state of Israel “by any means necessary.”

So who’s the real thug?

• eljay
        August 22, 2011, 10:56 am

>> Has it occurred to you that the context of it doesn’t make it any prettier?

No amount of context can make statements such as…

>> RW: I cannot consistently say that “ethnic cleansing is never necessary”.

…sound remotely moral or just.

7. MHughes976
    August 21, 2011, 7:11 am

I must say, since actions normally speak louder than words, that letting an engagement stand – ie declining to act on boycott calls – until just before a violent incident doesn’t look like rejection of Zionism or of the Occupation on principle. Cancelling at the last minute after the violent incident looks like prudence rather than commitment.

8. rob
    August 21, 2011, 7:47 am

Great news! Another win for cultural BDS. I heard they lost a lot of money canceling their trip, I say we circulate a call asking people to support the band by downloading their album….I have.

link to tubaskinny.bandcamp.com

9. CigarGod
    August 21, 2011, 8:27 am

Their website just shows “cancelled”.
    link to tubaskinny.tk

10. Taxi
    August 21, 2011, 10:15 am

Indulge me please folks by lending your ears to this native Palestinian musical interlude:

*WARNING: The above video is not suitable viewing for zionists young or old: risks of exposure to too much salient Truth can short-circuit the zio brain, and may also lead to pronounced guilt-ridden bouts of melancholia.

11. john h
    August 21, 2011, 6:30 pm
  12. john h
    August 21, 2011, 6:37 pm

“2. While I realize I may be vilified for daring to suggest this, I do hope that Mondoweiss members who, in light of the incorrect information initially available, responded aggressively toward other members, will exercise a bit of humility and, at the very least, retract their harsh statements.”

As I write this, Eljay, so far your hope has been dashed.

We have scored an own goal. Where has the humility gone? Or did we never have it? Is our game as pitiful as mere points scoring?

• GuiltyFeat
      August 22, 2011, 6:52 am

Careful, john, eljay is already being dismissed by some here as one of the “moderato voices of reason”. If you carry on like this, you will too.

August 22, 2011, 9:19 am

Guiltyfeat your measure of “reason” is utterly immoral – you are after all a euro who has no qualms about violently settling on another continent, living on stolen property and condoning the murder of the native family who lived there before you.

Hideous settler scum – that’s about the measure of how most of the world views you and your extremist lifestyle.

• Chaos4700
        August 22, 2011, 9:30 am

Tell us again how much you hate America, GF. It seems you’re only ever hear to cut other people down to make you feel better about yourself.

13. GuiltyFeat
    August 22, 2011, 9:38 am

Given that you have no idea of my address this is silly slander.

Please provide evidence of your absurd claims that I “violently settled” here, that my property (remember, you have no idea where that is) is stolen and that I murdered the little old native Israeli woman who lived here before me.

Taxi, stop talking shit and find a real argument, you dumb goon.

August 22, 2011, 10:15 am

By your own admission you are a Brit living beyond the green line – ON ILLEGALLY OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN LAND.

I don’t NEED a further address or precise zip code to find you utterly despicable.

YOU ARE the core source of the problem – because of you and your ‘colony for jews only’, others suffer or die on a daily basis.

Next to an ethnic cleansing enabler like you, “goon” sure is looking pretty.

• pjdude
        August 24, 2011, 1:45 am

screw the green line if he is north of Egypt south of Lebanon east of the med and west of Jordan their is a 90% chance he is living on stolen property.

and to allof you pro palestinian people who believe the partitian is valid simply because the UN said so what about zre charter your wrong. treaties are worth more than the paper they written on. and Israel is a violation of those treaties

• pjdude
      August 24, 2011, 1:42 am

AAAWWWW poor Israeli doesn’t like being reminded he is living in a stolen house. wrong its not your property( legally speaking of course from a de facto position you are indeed correct though hopefully it will be rectified and you can be homeless while the owner gets to live there). Its the property of the palestinian who owns it. that you got it from another Israeli thief doesn’t mean its yours legally. once something is aquired illegally( you know like all of Israel) any further transactions are tainted.

14. gamal
    August 22, 2011, 11:22 am

very good but i prefer Tarek Jaber’s victory to palestine, with poor but clear enough subtitles and great footage of the resistant Palestinian people.

link to youtube.com

15. GuiltyFeat
    August 22, 2011, 12:08 pm

No, I’m an Israeli and British citizen living within the Green Line. Where are you getting your misinformation from?

I do not live beyond the Green Line. I have never said I live beyond the Green Line. I despise settlers and believe all settlements are illegal and should be closed immediately. (I also believe that in a negotiated solution some settlements will be swapped for other land and become part of Israel proper, but that doesn’t make them any less illegal now.)

You’re an idiot. I await your apology for lies and slander.

August 22, 2011, 1:32 pm

You ARE A BRITISH COLONIALIST if you’re NOT LIVING IN ENGLAND – geddit Einstein?!

Some people believe THE WHOLE OF ISRAEL is occupied Historic Palestine and in their billion plus eyes, YOU ARE A VIOLENT INVADER FROM GREAT BRITAIN.

What I state are FACTS – ugly facts that you yourself have created with your own criminal self-centered decisions and actions.

And you wanna an “apology” for being called a supporter of ethnic cleansing? LOL! ‘Nuff said.

Again, even an “idiot” would still look pretty standing next to a nakba-denying, passive-aggressive fascist snoot.

I would have more respect for you if… fill in the dots (clue: suitcase/one way ticket to Heathrow).

• GuiltyFeat
        August 22, 2011, 4:27 pm

No, you said I lived over the Green Line when I don’t. You were lying.

You said I live on stolen property when by no definition of “stolen” in any statute book any where in the world, Israel, the UN or Palestine is that accurate. You might just as well said that the moon is made of cheese and claimed it’s true because some people say so. You are still lying.

You claimed I condoned the murder of the “native” family (oddly racist/colonialist term from you by which I understood you to mean Palestinian family) who lived here before me. I live in a town which was founded and settled by Jews over 100 years ago. There has never been an Arab majority here and no one has ever been ethnically cleansed. All the land was purchased legally at the turn of the last century. You are a giant and somewhat aggressive doofus.

It is a wonder that the mods continue to let you post your shite, but I’m glad they do as it’s utterly hopeless.

Do you get a kick out of telling Jews to “go home”. You’re not the first person to come up with this line of attack, you know.

You have not stated a single fact in this entire thread. You can continue to respond if you like, but I will be restricting myself from now on to answering people who have both more manners and more brains instead of no manners and shitferbrains.

Ta-ra.

• Woody Tanaka
        August 22, 2011, 4:43 pm

“(oddly racist/colonialist term from you by which I understood you to mean Palestinian family)”

Not racist or colonialist. Given some Zionists’ claims, it is unfortunately necessary to point out that it is the Palestinians who are native to the land, and not those who have hundred and thousands of years of ancestry on other continents.

“All the land was purchased legally at the turn of the last century.”

Was it purchased from a willing Palestinian owner in an arms-length transaction? Or was simply a matter of some money being sent to Istanbul?

• Chaos4700
        August 22, 2011, 8:37 pm

Considering GuiltyBrit used to be a proverbial neighbor of Tony Benn and Sir Gerald Kaufmann…. but decided to be a neighbor to eee and jon instead?

• pjdude
        August 24, 2011, 1:49 am

if not for your jewyness the people at stormfront would love you. your as bigoted as they are and an just as much as a liar. really their was never an arab majority in palestine and it wasn’t ethnically cleansed?

• GuiltyFeat
        August 24, 2011, 2:49 am

“really their was never an arab majority in palestine and it wasn’t ethnically cleansed?”

A grammatically incorrect strawman, you cretin.

I said there has never been an arab majority in the town where I live since it was founded a hundred years ago.

That was in response to the previous cretin’s lies about me being a violent settler and a murderer.

When you cretins get together and gang up on someone, at least try to read each other’s comments first. Cretins.

• annie
        August 24, 2011, 3:00 am

source? are you claiming there was never an arab majority on the land you live on, or just the town you live in?

• pjdude
      August 24, 2011, 1:46 am

all of Israel is a settlement. so do you believe the land should be returned to the state of palestine as recognized by the league of nations mandate?

16. rob
    August 25, 2011, 1:05 pm

Tuba Skinny speaks out on cancellation of show at Red Sea Festival:

“The day before our flight, after hours of stressful deliberation, we decided that we should not back out of our slated appearance for these reasons: Many people who live in Israel and wish for equal rights and peace had bought tickets to see us, and it was mere days before the show; the organizers, whose political stance has never been known to us, had worked very hard on our behalf; We were in Italy with no way home; and we viewed it as an opportunity to speak out against segregation and senseless killing. We thought to donate the proceeds from the festival to relief and human rights organizations involved in this crisis.

After reaching this painful decision, we immediately learned of the killings outside of Eilat and the subsequent bombings in Gaza, both with the loss of innocent lives. This was the icing on the cake. We could not support any of these actions, let alone risk the obvious personal danger that was implied. It was for a mixture of these reasons that we decided to back out. Not only the Apartheid Wall, not only the attacks at Gaza, not only the attacks outside of Eilat, not only the endless violence for centuries, but all of it combined. Of course we do not support the merciless bulldozing of homes or the indiscriminate murder of Israeli and Palestinian people from both sides!”

link to electronicintifada.net