Egyptian revolutionary cartoons (part 1)

This month in Cairo, the Society of Fine Arts Lovers is having an exhibit of cartoons from the revolution. I was allowed to photograph them; sorry I don’t have the cartoonists’ names. And I don’t speak Arabic, but these are two of my favorites… More to come in days ahead…

cartoonvomitcartooneat

1. jewishgoyim
    October 21, 2011, 1:20 pm

The first one seems quite explicit but the second one is a little less clear. What’s written on the t-shirt?

• Walid
      October 21, 2011, 1:37 pm

On the T-shirt: Unemployment

On the plate from which it’s eating: The Youth.

In the first one with the talking heads the title says “how the media spreads misinformation”

• Avi_G.
      October 21, 2011, 1:44 pm

What’s written on the t-shirt?

“The Heroes” (Perhaps with sarcastic connotations given the portrayal as a slobbering hairy monster).

The hors d’oeuvres are “The Youth”.

• eGuard
      October 21, 2011, 4:03 pm

Eh, Walid and Avi_G: should we ask Memri then for a trustworthy translation?

• Walid
        October 21, 2011, 5:42 pm

I’d rather concede to Avi rather than go with Memri since Arabic has become my third language so I’m no expert and Avi could be right. Al-Batalah that’s’s written on the goon’s t-shirt is the same as al-atalah and both words mean unemployment. Heroics or heroes is al-boutouleh but the confounding kicks in because the word for hero is al-batal, so you’d expect that al-batalah to mean heroics. Maybe Avi has another explanation.

• Avi_G.
        October 21, 2011, 6:28 pm

Walid is right. I confused Batallah with Butullah.

So the correct translation is: “Unemployment”.

• eGuard
        October 22, 2011, 7:32 am

I should have added ;-). Without it I read like a smartass.

• RoHa
      October 21, 2011, 9:18 pm

The first one is excellent. Needs no translation, and is universally applicable.

• annie
        October 21, 2011, 10:07 pm

agreed

2. dumvitaestspesest
    October 21, 2011, 1:50 pm

I’m always surprised how many people still belive in what MSM says.
    They jut don’t question it at all.
    I think there should be World Wide movement to boycott MSM on top of everything else. Only good things come out of this.
    More money saved, more time ( on the internet:), and clear , “unpolluted “brain.

• pabelmont
      October 21, 2011, 2:59 pm

Yes. I used to subscribe to NYT. Now I won’t buy it and seldom read any of it. You can live just fine, even in NYC, w/o NYT. And I used to listen non-stop to WNYC (NPR, etc.) but seldom listen to it at all.

• jewishgoyim
      October 22, 2011, 8:40 am

Yes. And it’s true for elite opinion on economy (much of what is happening) with what I call the triptych: FT, WSJ and The Economist. Their role in enforcing consensus in the elite is amazing. And their gospel is repeated in every corner of the Empire in all languages. Very tiring indeed.

They are more sophisticated and interesting than most other news media but even more toxic given their role. Charlie Rose is positioned on the same segment more or less (davosish, bilderbergish, bohemian grovish stuff). I’ve seen Charlie on a Bilderberg list and I remember him on a show saying “at these conferences we go to” with a guest who fit the profile exactly.

• Citizen
        October 22, 2011, 10:41 am

I’m pretty sure Charlie Rose sleeps well at night. I wish he didn’t. He never follows up when he should when he interviews some expert on the Middle East & US foreign policy. Never gets to the inside goodies. Gives you the jar.

3. munro
    October 21, 2011, 3:05 pm

Check out Carlos Latuff one of the star cartoonists of Tahrir
    twitter @CarlosLatuff

4. Boulos
    October 21, 2011, 9:38 pm

i understood the second cartoon to read ‘unemployment,’ not ‘heroes.’ hero is ‘batal’ and heroes is ‘abtal.’ the verb ‘battala’ means something like ‘to stop’ or even, i think, ‘to make nothing.’ i took it to mean that unemployment is eating the youth of egypt.

5. Boulos
    October 21, 2011, 9:46 pm

the second means something like, ‘on the phenomenon of media clamor.’