Palestinian citizens of Israel are second class citizens, even in the Prague airport

I’ll never forget my trip to Prague about a week ago, unfortunately not because Prague is so beautiful, it actually is an amazing place to travel to and tour around for a week, but because of the traumatic expereince at the airport.

A brief acquintance on the way with two normal and educated young Israeli “Technion” (a highly acclaimed technical institute) graduates gave us the perfect option to share a cab, as well as pleasant companionship. Everything was wonderful – yes, it is possible for Israelis of Jewish and Arab origins, Muslim or Christian to get along and feel great together, despite those dark forces of evil, that made us realize the huge gap between us. These young people were abused – their non-Jewish name caused them awful damage and awful treatment at the airport.

This caused me injustice, shame, pain, disgust and emotional distress facing the racism, the carelessness the inhumane disrespect and the fear that I sensed myself no less than did those young gentlemen. Their entire “crime” is being Arab. One of them is Muslim and the other is Christian. they’re well educated, have iphones and laptops, look totally Israeli-European and decided, just like us, to travel abroad with El Al, Israel’s national airline.

We arrived at the Prague airport before 9PM. Everyone had to undergo strict questioning and security screening. A screening and questioning that is always tiring, monotonous, yet necessary. Me and my spouse, belonging to the chosen people, moved along to the duty free while the two Arabs remained behind. They didn’t reach the boarding gate until 11PM. I was looking for them at the airport, worried that they might miss their flight. I was sure they were late because they were busy with last minute duty free shopping. I didn’t think for a minute that it was for another reason. To my astonishment, they appeared at the boarding gate with a security person besides them. He warned them that they only have ten minutes to shop in the store. I was very surprised by the shocked look on the face of the younger one. He seemed to be in a complete state of shock. Blushing and stuttering, he found it difficult to explain what he had just been through. They stripped me naked and touched every organ in my body, including my most intimate parts. They asked me where I had bought each and every clothing item.

“They left me without clothes. They took away my latop, my bag and my cellphone. I don’t understand why they’re behaving this way to me.” I simply could not believe my ears. I intervened and asked the security guy why they treated him this way. His brief reply was: “I’m obliged to ensure your safety. I was carrying out orders”. “Please don’t destroy my laptop, it’s very important to me”, pleaded the young guy. I followed what was going on, all astonished, excited and helpless facing this situation. The security guy was pinned to them at the duty free shop, as if they were thieves. As if being searched and checked for the suspicion of being terrorists was not enough. This scene seemed totally unreal to me, as if taken from a horror film in which the stars were the two good and gentle young men being chased by the dark forces of evil wishing to annihilate them, rather than the other way around…

The young men decided to buy perfume and cigarettes. When they reached the cash register the security guy took the two items away from them and exchanged them with another two identical items from the shelf. I realized that this was in order to ensure that the items they took were not wired and placed on the shelf beforehand. I couldn’t tolerate this and I addressed the security guy again: “You’re disgracing and embarrassing me. They are Israeli citizens just like me. What is the meaning of this close personal escort? So what if they’re Arab and not Jewish? The security guy didn’t know, of course, that despite being an Israeli Jewish girl, I was flying on Yom Kippur, eating pork and listening to church concerts. I also look Arab. His reply was “I”m sorry, that’s true, but these are my instructions”.

His answer really upset me. I tried to address the security guy with a heart to heart talk, by explaining that by this behavior he’s causing me emotional distress and shame by being so disrespectful and discriminating against the Arabs. I was ashamed, yet I admit that I was also scared, especially after photographing the head security guy, Ilan, that said to me “I’m being nice to you, so what’s the problem? Did you photograph me?” He asked; “No, here, I’m deleting”, I answered him with shaking hands. I was really scared that now I’d be abused just like they were. Maybe they’ll undress me or prohibit me from boarding the flight because of some bottle of alcohol that I bought that might not be Kosher or they’d plant a bomb or some other incriminating substance on me, just for defending them. I was feeling awfully helpless in this condition.

I conversed with the young Arabs in order to try and calm them down. The younger guy told me: “The trip was so nice. I was born an Arab, I’m aware of my situation and I won’t let the security guys that treated me this way ruin my holiday. The other guy was upset: “I feel like I’m living in a vacuum. I am stateless, I have no citizenship, I’m not even a third class citizen, I don’t even exist. I feel like I must look for someplace else, where I can feel belonging and safety. Why am I being treated this way? What have I done? I expect, after everything the Jews have been through in Europe (Such identification and acknowledgement of the Holocaust!) for Israelis to have the awareness that human beings should not be treated this way”. His words made me cry. I asked him to forgive me.

I was feeling terribly guilty and was mainly troubled by the thought that we had just (justifiably) added another dear person to the cycle of hatred and bitterness. We’ve lost a vital citizen to society. I realized that we must screen people in order to protect ourselves from extremist terrorists, yet it is inconceivable that from the hundreds of passengers, only two citizens, the non-Jewish ones, should be forced to undergo over two hours of screening and questioning, including shameful humiliation. Why should I feel guilty because of you, El Al security staff? Why should I feel unequal to my Christian and Muslim friends because I’m Jewish? What do I care about religion anyway? I aspire to live in a country that respects its’ citizens and their liberty, regardless of race, religion and sex. I promise NEVER to fly El Al again. Your gate is always hidden and segregated. The constant applauds during landing are annoying and the arrogance unnecessary. I shall not choose you. I’ll never forget this experience! I take this opportunity to suggest to all of the citizens that feel being discriminated against in Israel NOT to fly El Al! The chance of being humiliated is great and far more frightening than the issue of security. You may regard this as a warning!

Transled to English by Nick Rosen.

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. dumvitaestspesest
    October 20, 2011, 10:00 am

Was the security for El Al ,in Prague from Israel ,or was it local??
    I’m asking because I know that in many European countries ,security that control flights to Israel is actually from Israel.
    Moooosssssaaaadd.
    Awful. They spread their rasists, discriminatory practices all over the world.
    And many “Useful Idiots” just obey them. “These are my instructions”.

• Theo
      October 20, 2011, 1:25 pm

Prag is not alone.
      A couple of years ago I flew into Budapest and was surprised at the optical look of all the security personal. They were dark, not like how hungarians look.
      A few days later I found out, the israeli army had a joint exercise with the hungarians, based on NATO rules.
      Only Israel is not in the NATO and why was all kept secret from the locals?

• Exiled At Home
      October 20, 2011, 1:35 pm

El Al security is provided by Israelis, not the local airport security.

Flying El Al from Newark International Airport in 2006, I was subjected to thorough interrogation before I could even get to the ticket counter. Next, placed in a line with armed Israeli paramilitary walking up and down the line with automatic assault rifles in arm carefully examining -and unnerving- each and every non-Israeli passenger, not the Orthodox Jews though, of course. They had a special line for them. Our line, the goyim line, was headed for a security room. One at a time we entered the room, unsure of what was awaiting us. Not one of us came out the way we went in, so waiting in line, time stood still as you see the disappearance of one after another of your fellow passengers. Each time the security officer came from the room to beckon another passenger, he played subtle psychological head games with us. The first time, he came out with a suit. The second time, he was removing his jacket. The third, rolling up his sleeves. The fourth, snapping on latex gloves. The fifth, wiping sweat from his brow. And so on and so forth. Once you entered the room, all you encountered was a fairly routine pat down and a swipe for any potentially explosive residues. This was all Israelis conducting this exercise in psychological warfare. Private security, non-American citizens, military background armed to the teeth on American soil. When was the last time you saw Carabinieri at JFK Airport providing security for Alitalia flights?

• Theo
        October 20, 2011, 2:07 pm

Yes, foreign armed troops on US soil!!
        Should we not do something about this insult to our national rights?

• Antidote
        October 21, 2011, 12:35 am

“Yes, foreign armed troops on US soil!!
        Should we not do something about this insult to our national rights?”

It no different from armed Americans at Canadian airports (and elsewhere) operating under the Pre-Clearance Act:

“In its submission to the Standing Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs which examined Bill S-22, the Canadian Bar Association (C.B.A.) pointed out a number of serious concerns about the bill. The organization stated that it believed the bill “would result in the serious abrogation of the rights of travellers on Canadian soil and a considerable intrusion upon Canadian sovereignty.”

How do you Americans feel about insulting our national rights? Remember we’re the bigger country! Should tail wag dog? And why can’t you tax your own citizens, rather than go after the diaspora among the loyalists up north?

From the CBC (September 2011):

“No taxation without representation” has been a rallying cry among Americans … from the Boston Tea Party right up to the current Tea Party. But according to U.S. law, the Internal Revenue Service is permitted to dip into the pockets of about a million Americans living in Canada, many of whom haven’t voted in an American election in their lives … choosing instead to live, work and pay taxes here in Canada. Despite that, they are required by law to disclose to the IRS any bank holdings over 10,000 dollars and they may face a penalty of up to 10,000 dollars per year, per account if they don’t. There was a time when the IRS didn’t appear to be all that serious about enforcing the law. But now, that time is gone. The IRS has given Americans living in Canada until tomorrow to file something called an Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative form. Those who do, hope to walk away with a smaller penalty. Those who don’t … are on their own.”

But seriously, and back to Ruth’s post: It’s a terrible story. Such experiences have a huge negative impact on how one feels about a country, as a citizen or visitor. The last time I was in Prague was in the late seventies, on a high school trip. I remember how intimidating the border crossings/guards were. High security and weapons everywhere. I remember the Munich massacre and the German Autumn. Apparently it was easier to turn Germany into a police state with special counterterrorism forces than to free Palestine. Then 9/11 and Homeland Security. I have given up traveling to the US, it’s just too much security for me. Now my American-born spouse won’t go anymore either. Too much money.

On the topic of security and money, see also Jeff Halper and Naomi Klein. It’s not just the Israeli mindset, the history of Jewish persecution. The psychological and geopolitical situation has created a security industry that is central to the Israeli economy and export industry. How does one break that vicious cycle? Boycotting El Al and telling them why may be a good start.

• Theo
        October 21, 2011, 8:09 am

Antitode

I am 100% with you, we also should not have troops, armed or not armed, outside our borders, I am sure the canadians are capable to provide the necessary security.
        After all, they get the equipment and advisors from the same place.

As far as taxation goes: according to US tax laws a US citizen must declare and eventually pay taxes in the USA, regardless where he lives or works. I live in Europe over 40 years, yet must file a return every year. Don´t bitch, it applies to us all.

Boycotting El Al is only the beginning, boycott Israel, don´t visit until there is a free palestinian state and they pull back all their spies from the USA and also Canada. Your goverment is paid off, just like ours.

• Antidote
        October 21, 2011, 10:22 am

“according to US tax laws a US citizen must declare and eventually pay taxes in the USA, regardless where he lives or works.”

Fortunately the law doesn’t apply not to me because I’m not American, just to hubby, who is outraged because the law was never applied to American born Canadians so far. You now can no longer travel to the US with a Canadian passport that shows your US place of birth. You either have to renounce American citizenship (which entails settling taxes owed to the IRS) or get an American passport (same thing). So you either never go back visit your family and friends or pay up. Canadians pay higher taxes than Americans already (probably also true for you, depending where you live in Europe). But the new law also requires American Canadians to at least pay a few thousand dollars in fees to establish what they owe. Filing a return is not enough. You pay even if you don’t owe anything. Money grab? Extortion?

• Antidote
        October 21, 2011, 10:58 am

“Your goverment is paid off, just like ours.”

We know. The Aspers are quite frank about who calls the shots in Harperland, and they don’t like criticism of Israel showing up in the Canadian newspapers they own:

link to straight.com

• Woody Tanaka
        October 20, 2011, 2:08 pm

“When was the last time you saw Carabinieri at JFK Airport providing security for Alitalia flights?”

Italy doesn’t have a fifth column in the US.

2. eee
    October 20, 2011, 10:19 am

• Woody Tanaka
      October 20, 2011, 10:45 am

You’re right, eee. That’s why we have to dig into the bank accounts of every Jew in the financial industry, rifle through their records and confiscate some of their stuff. Because after Bernie Madoff, better safe than sorry.

Bigot.

• dumvitaestspesest
      October 20, 2011, 10:48 am

Eeeee.
      Do you wash everyday your hair in some kind of Israeli propaganda shampoo that not only washes your hair ,but also your brain??
      Squeeeeky clean.
      You Seee, eeee,
      Nazi a.k.a Germans also justified opression, killing and humiliation of other people simply by a attaching to them a label of “sub-human” or “banditen”.
      After that ,they felt like they are allowed to do anything.

• annie
      October 20, 2011, 11:25 am

lol, you amaze me.

• DBG
        October 20, 2011, 11:26 am

you deny that Annie?

• annie
        October 20, 2011, 11:38 am

of course. he said always. i don’t get suspicious when i see a group of young Arab males flying together without women or children. i see a group of young arab men w/no women around i’d most likely be checking them out for other reasons.

;)

• Woody Tanaka
        October 20, 2011, 11:39 am

“you deny that Annie?”

Nice. Another bigot?

• annie
        October 20, 2011, 11:45 am

here’s how i look at it. we know pedophiles often times seek professions that place them near and around young children. camp councilors, kindergarten teachers, sunday school teachers etc. but when i look at a group of teachers i don’t become suspicious i’m near pedophiles. it doesn’t really cross my mind. does it cross yours? if i said to you “a group of teachers is always going to arose suspicion of pedophilia” would you think this was normal? no, you’d think i was a nutcase.

• eee
        October 20, 2011, 11:54 am

Annie,

If one of your children and a child of your neighbors were attacked by pedophiles who were teachers, you would be extra cautious about leaving them in the care of other teachers and would would check out these teachers more. And it would always cross your mind that in a group of teachers they may be pedophiles and you would think of ways to make sure to identify or deter them. And if you didn’t think this way, you would be nuts.

• DBG
        October 20, 2011, 11:54 am

I guess I didn’t mean you in particular, I meant airport security.

• justicewillprevail
        October 20, 2011, 11:57 am

The casual racism you and eee espouse is staggering – because you don’t even realise it. This is so typical in Israel and in its army of apologists. They imagine they are ‘liberal’ and dredge every hackneyed, cliched argument in the book, to justify their derogatory, shallow, simple-minded stupidity. Personally I would consider a plane full of Israeli Jews more dangerous – is that racist? And if it is, why is your claim not?

• annie
        October 20, 2011, 12:03 pm

eee, you said always. needless to say not everyone has or knows a child attacked by pedophiles. therefore it is not normal for everyone to associate teachers with pedophilia. iow it is the exception not the rule.

• annie
        October 20, 2011, 12:05 pm

I guess I didn’t mean you in particular, I meant airport security.

yeah and i guess it was just a little freudian slip.

• eee
        October 20, 2011, 12:08 pm

Annie,

But in Israel everyone knows or has heard of victims of terror. And therefore it is quite normal to be extra cautious. After Americans live through something like the second Intifada, we will see how they will act. Hopefully it will never happen.

• eee
        October 20, 2011, 12:13 pm

justicewillprevail,

“Personally I would consider a plane full of Israeli Jews more dangerous – is that racist?”

• annie
        October 20, 2011, 12:13 pm

eee, everyone in israel has suffered from a constant onslaught of militarist state sponsored fear mongering propaganda designed to facilitate and justify ethnic cleansing. that is why it is quite normal to have a racist society there.

• Woody Tanaka
        October 20, 2011, 12:17 pm

“But in Israel everyone knows or has heard of victims of terror.”

And they also know the main perpetrators of terror: the IDF.

• eee
        October 20, 2011, 12:20 pm

Annie,

Israel has a free press and an open society. Your allegations are baseless. People in Israel have lived through the second intifada. They have lived through this terror campaign and seen its consequences first hand on their communities and their daily lives. And they are not going to quickly forget this episode and who was behind it.

• mig
        October 20, 2011, 12:23 pm

eee :

“But in Israel everyone knows or has heard of victims of terror.”

++++ Unfortunately. So you just did racial profiling.

“And therefore it is quite normal to be extra cautious.”

++++ No, its not normal at all. Looks like you dont know anymore what is normal.

“After Americans live through something like the second Intifada, we will see how they will act.”

++++ Would 9/11 do ?.

“Hopefully it will never happen.”

++++ 9/11 few years back did. Iraq and Afganistan are living examples from that.

• eee
        October 20, 2011, 12:38 pm

“And they also know the main perpetrators of terror: the IDF.”

• Woody Tanaka
        October 20, 2011, 12:39 pm

“When you own an airline and put in place your security guidelines, just make sure to publicize this and Israelis will not fly your airline. Problem solved. If your experience is that Israelis are a security risk to a flight, you should certainly build your security guidelines based on that.”

In other words: So long as you don’t touch my racism, I’ll overlook yours.

• Woody Tanaka
        October 20, 2011, 12:42 pm

“Israel has a free press and an open society.”

LMAO. Except for the Palestinians forced into the cattle chutes.

• annie
        October 20, 2011, 12:44 pm

eee, i don’t care how long you make your list. anyone can look at the number of victims of the criminal state of israel and determine who the main purveyors of terror are in the region. there is only one government with an enclosed laboratory of millions victims from which they can inclict pain and suffering on a daily basis. that is israel. so take your silly snarking and all your ‘of course’s’ and shove it.

• Woody Tanaka
        October 20, 2011, 12:44 pm

“Of course, the IDF blew up all those buses in Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem, the cafes, the discos, the hotels. In fact it is IDF soldiers in those “martyr” posters and last message videos left behind.”

No, it, and the filth that preceded it, did far worse than that, all over Palestine, as has for the last 100 years.

• eee
        October 20, 2011, 12:51 pm

Annie,

If you don’t care about the security of Israelis just say so. I don’t care about your distorted view. The main purveyors of terrorism in Israel are Arabs. So take your naive views and shove it.

• mig
        October 20, 2011, 12:51 pm

eee :

“Israel has a free press and an open society.”

++++ LOL. Someone believe that still ?

“Your allegations are baseless. People in Israel have lived through the second intifada.”

++++ And palestinians, but i guess that they dont count in this….

“They have lived through this terror campaign and seen its consequences first hand on their communities and their daily lives.”

++++ Palestinians has suffered much i agree.

“And they are not going to quickly forget this episode and who was behind it.”

++++ Project called “Israel”.

• annie
        October 20, 2011, 1:05 pm

I don’t care about your distorted view.

yes, that becomes clearer and clearer everytime you respond to one of my comments.

• DBG
        October 20, 2011, 1:15 pm

at least you admit that your view is distorted Annie, that is progress.

• Woody Tanaka
        October 20, 2011, 1:22 pm

“The main purveyors of terrorism in Israel are Arabs”

Nope. The main purveyors of terrorism in all of Palestine (including the portion you call Israel) are Israeli Jews.

• tree
        October 20, 2011, 3:16 pm

Israel has a free press and an open society

Israel is rated #86 in terms of press freedom by Reporters Without Borders within the green line. Its rated #132 when including the occupied territories, where every news report or video is subject to prior military censorship. That doesn’t really qualify as a “free press”.

link to en.rsf.org

• seafoid
        October 20, 2011, 6:17 pm

link to m-pyre.blogspot.com

Albuquerque airport terminal by Naomi shihab Nye

After learning my flight was detained 4 hours, I heard the announcement: If anyone in the vicinity of gate 4-A understands any Arabic, please come to the gate immediately. Well one pauses these days. Gate 4-A was my own gate. I went there.

An older woman in full traditional Palestinian dress, just like my grandma wore, was crumpled to the floor, wailing loudly. Help, said the flight service person. Talk to her. What is her problem?

I put my arm around her and spoke to her haltingly. Shu dow-a, shu-biduck habibti, stani stani schway, min fadlick, sho bit se-wee? The minute she heard any words she knew however poorly used – she stopped crying.

She thought our flight had been cancelled entirely. She needed to be in El Paso for some major medical treatment the following day. I said no, no, we’re fine, you’ll get there, just late, who is picking you up? Let’s call him and tell him. We called her son and I spoke with him in English.

I told him I would stay with his mother till we got on the plane and would ride next to her Southwest. She talked to him. Then we called her other sons just for the fun of it. Then we called my dad and he and she spoke for a while in Arabic and found out of course they had ten shared friends. Then I thought just for the heck of it why not call some Palestinian poets I know and let them chat with her. This all took up about 2 hours.

She was laughing a lot by then. Telling about her life. Answering questions. She had pulled a sack of homemade mamool cookies little powdered sugar crumbly mounds stuffed with dates and nuts out of her bag and was offering them to all the women at the gate.

To my amazement, not a single woman declined one. It was like a sacrament. The traveler from Argentina, the traveler from California, the lovely woman from Laredo; we were all covered with the same powdered sugar. And smiling. There are no better cookies.

And then the airline broke out the free beverages from huge coolers and the two little girls for our flight, one African-American, one Mexican-American ran around serving us all apple juice and lemonade and they were covered with powdered sugar, too. And I noticed my new best friend by now we were holding hands had a potted plant poking out of her bag, some medicinal thing, with green furry leaves.

Such an old country traveling tradition. Always carry a plant. Always stay rooted to somewhere. And I looked around that gate of late and weary ones and thought, this is the world I want to live in.

The shared world. Not a single person in this gate once the crying of confusion stopped has seemed apprehensive about any other person. They took the cookies. I wanted to hug all those other women, too.

This can still happen, anywhere. Not everything is lost

Because there are far more decent people in the world than there are Zionists

• annie
        October 20, 2011, 7:58 pm

beautiful, seafoid i love you!!!!!

• eljay
        October 20, 2011, 8:01 pm

>> seafoid October 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm

This merits logging in and commenting on. Nicely done, seafoid. :-)

• thetumta
        October 20, 2011, 9:27 pm

So why are you responding to them? Apparently, you don’t believe your own statements. If their hopeless Racists, do you think you can save them from their fate? What’s your point? Pedophiles? No Ethnic killers, nothing new here. Perhaps a eee/Pedophile rehabilitation charity could be funded? Your getting so played.
        Hej!

• David Samel
        October 20, 2011, 11:31 pm

eee, that’s an excellent rationale for defending true Palestinian terrorism directed against Israeli civilians:

But in [Palestine] everyone knows or has heard of victims of [the IDF]. And therefore it is quite normal to be extra [angry at all of Israel]. After [Israelis] live through something like the [44-year-old Occupation and foreign military dictatorship], we will see how they will act.

In fact, why stop there? Isn’t there a higher crime and incarceration rate among American blacks than American whites? Why don’t we subject black people to heightened scrutiny, including frequent random pat-downs?

Your defense of El Al’s racist actions is truly appalling.

• Taxi
        October 21, 2011, 6:04 am

Mmmmm ma’amool – well now we’re talking peace and bliss seafoid mmmm ma’amool is my fav!

Hard to come by in LA but luckily I’m making up for this lack right here in south lebanon – eating them pretty much every day mmmm ma’amool! The first thing I bought when I arrived here is a box of three dozen from an old patisserie in Sidon.

Heck if there’s a god of ma’amool, I will willingly worship this god :-)

Great story seafoid – your arabic sounds/writes in Egyptian Arabic – am I correct? (you don’t have to answer this if you don’t feel so inclined).

• seafoid
        October 21, 2011, 8:02 am

Taxi

Masri khaalis . Ana kunt saakin fi umadunya . Shufti baqa.

Bas darastha awalan fi falastin.

• seafoid
        October 21, 2011, 9:20 am

Annie

One of the people I admire is the midwife who helped in the birth of our last child. She works in Mumbai and does a lot to help women delivering in the local slums. We met her the last time we were over and I asked her about what she had been doing. She had one client who had been beaten repeatedly by her husband during the pregnancy and was then deserted. I asked her what she did during the labour and she said the most important thing was to hold the woman’s hand and just talk to her. I think she’d like that poem too.

For me Zionism today is the opposite of that. For Jews as well as Palestinians.

October 21, 2011, 11:50 am

” So take your naive views and shove it. “

“eee” yopu have my sympathy! If only you were free to go to another website, I’m sure you would. But here you are, trapped at Mondoweiss, a website you have no respect for. How did this happen? Did Palestinians cut your arms off, and make it impossible for you to use the GUI? Try pusshing the mouse-buttons with your nose. Mine is more than long enough to reach, so your’s must be, too.

• shawket
        October 21, 2011, 7:26 pm

eee, DBG, the main problem with your theory that “a group of young Arab males flying together without women or children is always going to arose suspicion” is that you’re focusing on the effect, not the cause. Israel’s brutal, oppressive policies coupled with a whole lot of hasbara has made nit wits such as yourselves assume that groups of Arabs are inherently to be mistrusted. So what do you do? Commit a whole heap load of racial profiling, disregarding any potential long term side effects. Do you know what else focuses on effects but not causes? Morphine. Allow me to explain. When someone is in a lot of pain, and doctors don’t know why, they give them morphine. But if the patient has, say, an operable tumor that is causing the pain, they’re not just going to let it sit and fester while covering up the pain with a bunch of drugs. They’ll do something about it. Does this simple metaphor get through your thick skulls? You, Zionists, Israel apologists, are the morphine of this conflict. You go around, only trying to deal with effects without ever thinking, hey, maybe we are the CAUSE of all this violence and we should change some of our actions. It’s just too bad opiates are so goddamn addictive.

• Taxi
        October 29, 2011, 6:46 am

Ahlan wa sahlan bil habib yellee issmu seafoid!

• eee
        October 20, 2011, 11:49 am

El-Al’s policies are well known. You don’t want to fly El-Al, don’t fly El-Al. Nobody forces anybody to do so. There are so many alternatives to flying El-Al. And it only took one comment for the Nazi comparisons to come out. That was fast. Yes, checking people thoroughly at the airport and then letting them fly is exactly like what the Nazis did.

Arab Israelis have aided suicide bombers in reaching their destination and blowing themselves up. Not only that, they are proud of that. Of course a vast majority of Arab Israelis are peaceful and do not participate in such activities. So? 99.9999% checks at airports amount to nothing. You got to play the odds.

And if the SEC finds out that it is predominantly Jews that commit security related crimes then of course it is ok to monitor Jews more. The only bigots here are you guys that want Israel to take security risks it shouldn’t have to.

• justicewillprevail
        October 20, 2011, 11:58 am

When you have walked into a hole of your own making, it is advisable to stop digging.

• eee
        October 20, 2011, 12:09 pm

What hole? It is always advisable to make an argument, instead of waving ones hand in the air.

• mig
        October 20, 2011, 12:24 pm

Or waving hands in hole…..

• seafoid
        October 21, 2011, 10:45 am

I just think it is an appalling way to treat travelers. Every culture I know of has a tradition of hospitality to strangers. Maybe because that is every culture I know is rooted in the land.

Zionism isn’t and doesn’t have that hospitality. Zionism is “f*ck off” when everyone else is “welcome in”.

• DBG
        October 21, 2011, 11:19 am

This was done in Prague, not Tel Aviv. Just because they flew an Al El jet, Israel is responsible for this? What security apparatus did this?

• seafoid
        October 21, 2011, 11:40 am

DBG

Do you think we are stupid? El Al does it at Heathrow, at Prague, at Charles de Gaulles, in Brussels, in Milan, . Everywhere.

• Chaos4700
        October 22, 2011, 2:55 am

In South Africa as well. I don’t suppose anyone has the link to that expose handy? I don’t think I bookmarked it.

• Theo
      October 20, 2011, 12:43 pm

This is one of the reasons I refuse to visit Israel. Although most of our friends were at least once there, I wait until the palestinians have equal rights. Even then, I surely take another airline, what the israelis do is more than demeaning. Besides, I don´t want an isreali girl, who admires my most private parts, fall in love with it.

• Bumblebye
        October 20, 2011, 1:07 pm

Theo, that’s very ‘cavalier’ of you!
        :-D

• Theo
        October 20, 2011, 1:27 pm

Just a gentleman, as always!!!

• Antidote
      October 21, 2011, 2:29 pm

“After 9/11, a group of young Arab males flying together without women or children is always going to arose suspicion. Better safe than sorry. And of course, you are not forced to fly El-Al. There are many other options. If you think they take security too seriously, fly some other airline.”

How do you like this, eee: “After the assassination of vom Rath at the German embassy in Paris (i.e. on German territory) in 1938, young Jews on German territory naturally arose suspicion. Hence the Nazi order to arrest all young males before, during and after the Kristallnacht (women, children and old men were specifically excluded from the official order). Better safe than sorry. And of course, Jews were not forced to remain on German territory, be they young, male or not. There were many other options. If Jews thought Germans were taking their security too seriously, they could have gone live somewhere else.”

I’m sure you agree that’s reasonable? If the situation is different, the argument is the same

3. Dan Crowther
    October 20, 2011, 10:20 am

Maybe a little strange that an Israeli has to go to Prague to witness the inhumane treatment of Arab Israeli’s.

• Theo
      October 20, 2011, 12:48 pm

They just cannot see the woods because all those trees.

4. seafoid
    October 20, 2011, 10:21 am

This is the price of the Jewish Sparta. They don’t trust anyone and they have to ritually humiliate the non Jews. Without this there can be no fear and no distrust.

It goes all the way back to the first settlers and how they conquered the land.

Homa Umigdal

link to en.wikipedia.org

, the project to set up the first Zionist outposts in Palestine. It’s a tower surrounded by a wall. “…the seclusion within the wall separates the settlement from the new environment and defines the new community not only as those who choose to live inside but also as those who are under potential threat from outside”.

Sharon Rotbard

link to books.google.ch

5. pabelmont
    October 20, 2011, 10:27 am

One thing makes me VERY curious, and whether the security inspection (apparently “make work” in this case) was done by El Al, by Israel-government, or by another government (or someone else entirely, maybe Martians). I am assuming, probably wrongly, that these Arabs had just arrived in Prague from Israel on an El Al flight. But maybe they’d been traveling in Europe and arrived at Prague airport from the outside world where all manner of nefarious things might have been done — but only by Arabs, of course, of course.

What am I missing?

• Woody Tanaka
      October 20, 2011, 3:54 pm

“THE ONE THING: Does anyone imagine, even for a moment, that these Arab-named passengers had NOT been screened in all these ways by Israel/El Al BEFORE leaving Israel?”

“What am I missing?”

You’re trying to find a purpose or a reason for the Israeli action. There is no purpose behind this mistreatment and abuse. It exists for its own sake; it is its own end. The Israelis mistreat and abuse simply to mistreat and abuse.

6. MRW
    October 20, 2011, 12:33 pm

The comparison with what happened during WWII and for which Europeans and Americans are blamed are too rife to recount here.

7. Avi_G.
    October 20, 2011, 3:30 pm

An excerpt from Sleeping on a Wire: Conversations with Palestinians in Israel

Author: David Grossman

Published in 1993

In Chapter Six, Grossman interviews a mixed Israeli couple. Irit is Jewish, Ghasaan is Palestinian. They are both Israeli born, both Israeli citizens. They have three children, two boys and a girl.

Irit, a 39-year-old Jewish Israeli woman describes how her experiences changed after she met a non-Jewish Israeli, a Palestinian from Israel.

Irit: A year before I met Ghasaan, I went overseas. I went through airport security normally: you go, you fly, you return. A year later I traveled with Ghasaan, and then, all at once – the search through the suitcases. They undressed us. They took my hair dryer completely apart. I told them, “Wait a minute, last year I traveled with the same hair dryer and it wasn’t dangerous then!” I was pregnant. They stripped me down to my underwear. The guard came with an electric instrument. I told her, “I’m asking you please, I’m pregnant; don’t check me with that instrument. Check me with your hands, do whatever you want.” She wouldn’t agree. She said, “I’ll only check you from behind.” I said, “But I’m pregnant! Do you know anything about the way a woman is built? What difference does it make to a pregnant woman if it’s in front or behind?” It didn’t help. “I don’t understand”, I told her, “I’m a student like you, I’m Israeli like you.” She looked at me funny and said, “I have orders and I carry them out.” Those were my first steps as an ‘Arab’.

David Grossman: Do your children consider themselves Muslims or Jews?

Irit: The children will define themselves when they decide to do so.

Ghasaan: The children already define themselves, Ghasaan corrected her. And it happenes to them the same way it happened to Irit. […] That is, the Jews pushed her to belong to [my side].

Irit, smiling helplessly: The roadblocks. Look, that’s already happened hundreds of times, so it doesn’t bother me anymore. Isn’t it a horrible thing when you become accustomed to the absurd? Whenever they stop us I calm Ghasaan down. I remind him, “You know how they are, there’s no way of avoiding it, so let’s try to take it easy.”

Ghasaan: The same thing happened with the children. When our son was five years old they stopped us near Kfar Saba. The boy asked, “What did the policeman want from us, why did they ask if you’re an Arab, why did they take your identity card, why didn’t they stop other cars?” That way, automatically, and it makes no difference whether I want it or not, whether I teach it to him or not, he’s already defined as belonging to the Arabs, but in the negative sense.

Irit: My son was born in Jerusalem and two years after he was born we moved to Ghasaan’s village. In Jerusalem I was the one who had to sign the apartment rental lease. We knew that if the landlord knew that Ghasaan was an Arab he wouldn’t rent us the apartment. I’d sign the lease as if I was the only tenant, and then he would move in with me. Living a pretense and a lie put a lot of pressure on us and we felt uncomfortable and frustrated.

Irit: When I met Ghasaan, I, like many Israelis, had preconceptions about Arabs. Before I went to college, I didn’t know any Arabs at all. In Tel-Aviv, where I lived, I didn’t have anything to do with them.

Irit continues: I suppose I was very naïve when I lived in Tel-Aviv. Israel was something holy for me. I was very patriotic. Then suddenly it all became questionable. I met Ghasaan and I witnessed things I couldn’t believe were happening here. I began to be frightened. I discovered all kinds of things I hadn’t known about the Jewish people, my people. The world changed before my eyes. I was afraid for my life and that of my partner. I thought, “One day they’ll come and bang on the door and take us away, and no one will lift a finger.” Afterward, very slowly, I began to realize that this was reality for people like Ghasaan, that there is even a king of routine to it, a routine of discrimination and ostracism. Even with regard to me, when people hear that I’m married to an Arab. A year ago I took a course at Bar Ilan University, and when they found out I was married to an Arab everyone got tense. It was a fairly long course, and people got close to one another, but they stayed away from me. One woman told me straight out, “It’s very hard for me with you. You’re a nice and smart gal, and if we had met without this thing of yours, I’m sure we would have become friendly.”

Buy the book: link to amazon.com

• dumvitaestspesest
      October 20, 2011, 5:40 pm

Avi-G Thank you for this fragment and recommending this book.
      From this conversation one can cleary see that zionism is a tribal thing.
      You do it because “the tribe” says so. If you dare to oppose, you get to be kicked out of “the tribe”, you become one of “them”. Hated, controled, opressed, insulted, humiliated.
      Another point. No system would survive without help of thousands, millions of “useful idiots”, enablers, helpers, confidents etc. The ones who orchestrate” the scheme “need them. And they always find them.
      Those who “just follow the instructions”, “carry out the orders”,hurt another human beings, because they are asked to do so.
      Millions and millions of them.
      All over the earth.
      Evil’s willing executioners.
      Are WE one of them??????????????????

8. piotr
    October 20, 2011, 5:19 pm

You can “have suspicions”, make a thorough security check and yet do it quickly and without humiliation. For starters, new scanning machines make manual checks quite unnecessary, unless all of these new fancy machines at US airports are a monumental waste.

9. gazacalling
    October 20, 2011, 9:32 pm

Well, I’m divided over this post. I’m not necessarily proud that I’m divided.

On the one hand, nothing rankles me like airport security. Every time I have to go through it, I come away muttering to myself like a loony libertarian nutjob. I absolutely abhor my contact with the national security state and their unreasonable searches with the new pervert scans.

On the other hand, can’t Arabs realize that the actions of a few of them have brought this suspicion down? It’s not just some blind prejudice, it’s our reality that Arabs are more likely to hijack planes. To not admit this is to live in a fantasy world where you are intentionally blind to the reality that is obvious to everyone else.

• Chaos4700
      October 20, 2011, 10:12 pm

So let me get this straight: you’re whining that you have to take your shoes off at the airport, yet Arabs should shut up and submit to body cavity searches because a dozen or so desperate nutjobs with box cutters had the same skin color that they do?

So why aren’t we searching your pickup truck for bombs whenever you park near a federal building, white boy? You could be the next Timothy McVeigh after all!

• Avi_G.
      October 21, 2011, 12:22 am

gazacalling,

I don’t understand why you have to hide behind labels like libertarian and liberal. Why can’t you stand for equality and avoid stereotypes without resorting to categorical labels?

Anyway, if the actions of 19 Arabs out of a total of 300,000,000 Arabs in the world warrant such dscrimination in your view, then it’s entirely logical to stereotype you as an abortion clinic bomber.

Did you ever pause to think that what you perceive as reality –

– was actually shaped by the media from which you get your reality? Biased, subjective, manufacturing consent media.

The objective reality is that there have been hijackers from all walks of life, from all over the globe, to include even the Japanese Red Army, Hispanics and various African rebels.

Feast your eyes on this list from Wikipedia:
      link to en.wikipedia.org

I haven’t checked the accuracy of every entry, but it’s enough to give you an overall view of your misguided and biased perceptions.

• Antidote
        October 21, 2011, 2:47 pm

Well done, Avi. This is the common fallacy: many people actually believe that just because they don’t personally dislike any particularly ethnic group, and have many friends or family members from that group, that this prevents them from harboring prejudice against members of same group, including their own

• MRW
      October 21, 2011, 3:27 am

Not some blind prejudice? Yes, it is, and a lack of unemotional research on your part.

Brian Michael Jenkins has been considered the top terrorist expert in this country for 40 years. He appeared before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee on November 19, 2009. (A copy of his testimony “Going Jihad” that details actual cases is here: link to rand.org )

At the end of his testimony he said:

What does the Hasan [Fort Hood] case tell us about the radicalization of Muslims in America? Not a lot. In all, roughly 100 individuals in these plots have been charged with crimes related to terrorism. These include Muslim immigrants, native-born Muslims, and converts to Islam. Almost all were here legally. Most are U.S. citizens. A few, like Nidal Hasan, were veterans of military service. [...] Almost all were recruited locally—we have no evidence of terrorist sleeper cells being established in this country.

The plots show that radicalization and recruitment to terrorist violence is occurring in the United States and is a legitimate security concern. It has, however, yielded very few recruits. With roughly 3 million Muslims in America, although some estimates run much higher, 100 terrorists represent a mere 0.00003 percent of the Muslim population—fewer than one out of 30,000.

Terrorist violence is not a new phenomenon. Al Qaeda and its jihadist followers did not bring terrorism to the United States. Along with its immigrant communities, the United States has imported numerous terrorist campaigns. Cuban, Puerto Rican, Croatian, Serb, Palestinian, Armenian, Taiwanese, and Jewish extremists have all carried out attacks on U.S. soil, in addition to the homegrown terrorist campaigns of the far left and far right. In fact, the level of terrorist violence was greater in the United States in the 1970s than it is today.

The real problem is that we did not have a decent investigation of 9/11. Here is a calm, well-researched paper that presents unresolved evidence: http://www.911hardfacts.com

• seafoid
        October 21, 2011, 5:16 am

MRW

“With roughly 3 million Muslims in America, although some estimates run much higher, 100 terrorists represent a mere 0.00003 percent of the Muslim population—fewer than one out of 30,000.”

FUBR doesn’t even begin to describe what is going on .

link to nybooks.com

How much are we spending on counterterrorism efforts? According to Admiral (Ret.) Dennis Blair, who served as director of national intelligence under both Bush and Obama, the United States today spends about $80 billion a year, not including expenditures in Iraq and Afghanistan (which of course dwarf that sum).1 Generous estimates of the strength of al-Qaeda and its affiliates, Blair reports, put them at between three thousand and five thousand men. That means we are spending between $16 million and $27 million per year on each potential terrorist.

• RoHa
      October 21, 2011, 4:38 am

“On the other hand, can’t Arabs realize that the actions of a few of them have brought this suspicion down? It’s not just some blind prejudice, it’s our reality that Arabs are more likely to hijack planes.”

On the other hand, can’t Jews realize that the actions of a few of them have brought this suspicion down? It’s not just some blind prejudice, it’s our reality that Jews are more likely to [insert RoHa's most frequent anti-Semitic accusations here].

• Woody Tanaka
      October 21, 2011, 9:11 am

“can’t Arabs realize that the actions of a few of them have brought this suspicion down?”

It’s rare that a racist will just lay that racism right out there, and, in the process, blame the victim of the racism for the racist’s racism. But you accomplished just that.

• Donald
      October 21, 2011, 3:16 pm

What happened to the two people in this post was indefensible, so stop being divided and take a stand on the side of decency.

“Putting on blinders to reality is second-nature to liberals. But man does it make us lose cred in middle America to deny things that are obviously true.”

Why would anyone think that middle America has some private pipeline to Truth which gives them ultimate authority over who has credibility and who doesn’t? It’s absurd on its face. You’re using the sort of lazy meme that politicians and newscasters use when they are trying to pander to “Middle America”. Now Middle Americans might think they are experts on which ethnic groups are violent and which ones aren’t, but that doesn’t necessarily make it so. Remind me of which ethnic group Timothy McVeigh belonged to. Oh, I see Chaos made that point.

I grew up in the southern part of flyover country myself, btw. I never met any of those folksy common sense unfailing correct in their judgment types that politicians seem to admire so much.

10. POA
    October 20, 2011, 11:35 pm

How come these racist slobbering zios contribute so profusely on this thread, yet have avoided the Abrams thread like the plague?

11. mig
    October 21, 2011, 6:21 am

Not only arabs are second class, they are in fact third class citizens in Israel.

Petah Tikva teacher of Ethiopian students: Israeli society is racist

Rabbi Amiel Keinan says ‘great honor’ to teach children from now-closed, predominantly Ethiopian school Ner Etzion; Keinan enrolled his own son in Ner Etzion, explaining ‘it’s an excellent school and we’re against racism.’

For Rabbi Amiel Keinan, the request that he teach a class of children at the Kfar Ganim Amit yeshiva in Petah Tivka who had been reassigned from the city’s Ner Etzion school, was like coming full circle. All of the children at Ner Etzion other than Keinan’s own son Ran were of Ethiopian background, and Ner Etzion was closed at the beginning of the current school year in an effort to integrate the students at other schools.

Keinan called it a “great honor” to teach the children from his son’s former school. One of his new students, Daniel, said it was fun to attend the Kfar Ganim Amit school. Keinan’s son, he added, was the only “nach” at Ner Etzion, using the word for “white” in the Ethiopian Amharic language. All of the other 289 children there were Ethiopian.

link to haaretz.com