Zuckerman turned on Obama over Israel. ‘WSJ’ refuses to say so

This is crazy. The Wall Street Journal runs a long piece on Mortimer Zuckerman’s disaffection with Barack Obama and goes on and on about Obama’s economic policies, but says not a word about Israel. This is irresponsible and deceptive.

The record is clear. Zuckerman is a giant Israel lobbyist who fell out with Obama over Israel. Here he attacked Obama for his “betrayal” of Israel. Here he attacked Obama for playing the Middle East “game” all wrong by pushing on settlements. In this screed, Zuckerman wrote of “the hostility President Obama has shown to Israel from the start,” praised Netanyahu as a peacemaker and bashed Obama for even mentioning the ’67 borders. WSJ’s James Freeman:

A longtime supporter of the Democratic Party, Mr. Zuckerman wrote in these pages two months ago that the entire business community was “pleading for some kind of adult supervision” in Washington and “desperate for strong leadership.” Writing soon after the historic downgrade of U.S. Treasury debt by Standard & Poor’s, he wrote, “I long for a triple-A president to run a triple-A country.”

His words struck a chord. When I visit Mr. Zuckerman this week in his midtown Manhattan office, he reports that three people approached him at dinner the previous evening to discuss his August op-ed. Among business executives who supported Barack Obama in 2008, he says, “there is enormously widespread anxiety over the political leadership of the country.” Mr. Zuckerman reports that among Democrats, “The sense is that the policies of this government have failed. . . . What they say about [Mr. Obama] when he’s not in the room, so to speak, is astonishing.”

1. annie
    October 16, 2011, 6:24 pm

i’m sick of these neocons being provided such a platform in our msm. it’s disgusting.

• DICKERSON3870
      October 16, 2011, 7:21 pm

RE: “i’m sick of these neocons being provided such a platform
      in our msm.” ~ annie
      MY COMMENT: “Forget it Jake [and annie]. It’s Chinatown.”

• annie
        October 16, 2011, 7:40 pm

good one dickerson..

• Potsherd2
      October 16, 2011, 7:21 pm

They OWN the MSM. Of course they have a platform there.

• Taxi
      October 17, 2011, 2:23 pm

I’m just happy as laughing-gas the mother effer’s not in my tribe.

2. gazacalling
    October 16, 2011, 6:33 pm

Unbelieveablely outrageous. This is the kind of journalism that any responsible citizen should loathe: they know their omissions distort the reality beyond all recognition, but they don’t care because it’s part of their agenda.

3. justicewillprevail
    October 16, 2011, 6:41 pm

It’s only in the last twenty years, although much more aggressively in the last five years, that it has been assumed that the US is so weak and easily manipulated that it can be railroaded into anything a small, bullying state like Israel wants. Now it is assumed the status of a holy duty, and anyone who can think for themselves is a heretic and should be dragged through the witch-burning of the MSM. It is so weird that it is considered beyond the pale to even question the transfer of enormous funds and know-how to this unstable, warmongering entity, which is happy to put American lives in the way of their paranoid aggression towards just about everybody in their region. One day America will wake up and wonder how did they ever get into a situation where they are the submissive partner to a dominating psycho.

• yourstruly
      October 16, 2011, 7:39 pm

“submissive partner to a dominating psycho”

it certainly appears to be that way, but the ease by which this suplication takes place raises the question as to whether this appearance could be deceiving, especially since taking over the entire me cum world is what empire’s all about. besides, if said enterprise fails, empire’s leaders can say, “wasn’t our fault, israel deceived us, setting up the settler entity and its u.s based israel-firsters for whatever retribution is forthcoming and deserved. wadaya think?

• Hu Bris
        October 16, 2011, 9:30 pm

Possibly – but to be honest if it is a setup (and I seriously doubt that it is) at the moment I really can’t think of a group more deserving of such retribution

Maybe for once things really ARE as they seem – the (suppossed) tail REALLY is wagging the dog

I gave up completely on Israel and Zionists in Jan 2009 – I no longer care about them or their future – they used up all their goodwill with Cast Lead, and NOTHING they have done since has replenished that well.

The exact opposite in fact –

I’m all ‘holocausted’-out, no amount of references to gas chambers or Auschwitz could generate an ounce of sympathy from now on

If they are being set up to later take the fall, then they truly deserve it -In my lifetime I’ve not seen a group more deserving in fact – problem is I don’t think they are being set up – I actually wish it WERE so, that there actually IS some OTHER group with it’s hands more firmly on the reins of power able and willing to prevent the excesses this group of sick twisted outright psychopathic Fascists seems determined to continuously to engage in.

Unfortunately THEY really do seem to be the only ones in charge in DC – I’ve as yet seen no evidence that there is another power block maneuvering them into fall-guy position – DO let me know if you see one knocking about, won’t you?

• Hu Bris
        October 16, 2011, 9:41 pm

“especially since taking over the entire me cum world”

I don’t know WHAT that is, and it’s probably wise not to inquire any further . . .

• Hu Bris
        October 16, 2011, 9:54 pm

Should what you suspect come to pass my only regret is that there are many innocents going to be caught up in the crossfire – people that stood up and said “No, not in my name” – the mob won’t be discerning when the guillotine gets set up, and I hope that I shall have the courage to stand up and do my best to protect those that stood for what was right when it was extremely unpopular to do so

ignore the visuals (i did) but this was my sound track for Cast Lead – F’em, this too shall pass – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwb9jOVRtU

4. Dan Crowther
    October 16, 2011, 6:47 pm

You should have seen him this morning on the Mclaughin group this morning when Iran was brought up – he was literally sitting on one butt cheek waiting for someone to mention Israel – Eleanor Clift did – saying that if Iran even thought about a nuclear attack on anyone – the Israeli’s or the US would “obliterate” them – Morty IMMEDIATELY started talking over her

• Potsherd2
      October 16, 2011, 10:15 pm

Everybody always talks over Eleanor Clift.

• DICKERSON3870
        October 17, 2011, 12:19 am

Isn’t she Montgomery Clift’s sister?

• DICKERSON3870
        November 29, 2011, 5:59 pm

RE: Isn’t she [Eleanor Clift] Montgomery Clift’s sister? ~ me, above

My REPLY: Close, but no cigar!

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

(excerpt) . . . [Eleanor] Clift’s first marriage was to William Brooks Clift, Jr. (1919–1986), the brother of the actor Montgomery Clift. They had three sons: Edward Montgomery, Woodbury Blair, and Robert Anderson. In September 1989, she married Tom Brazaitis, a Washington columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. They remained together until his death of kidney cancer on 30 March 2005.[10][11] . . .

SOURCE – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_Clift

P.S. I just hate to “leave things hanging” (leave questions unanswered)! Woe is me.
        P.P.S. I have always liked Eleanor Clift. If people do indeed talk over her, it is probably because she is too polite to call them out on it. And she is much too “old school” to reciprocate by talking over others.

5. stevelaudig
    October 16, 2011, 6:57 pm

Odd though, the complaining lacks specificity. If the Republicans gridlock government what do the these embryonic war criminals want, rule by dictate? For Wall Street and Bank Street it really is only about Zionism.

6. crone
    October 16, 2011, 7:24 pm

I find it to be more than disgusting. It’s treason in my opinion…

7. ToivoS
    October 16, 2011, 8:34 pm

Somehow I cannot get excited about Zuckerman and the WSJ being unfair to Obama because he failed to realize early enough that the WB really, really belongs to Israel. He has capitulated on his earlier misconception and is now working hard to pressure the PA into accepting the new reality of Israeli dominion over the WB. Just because the most extreme Zionist voices fail to recognize his capitulation is no reason to sympathize with Obama’s plight. Enemies of the Palestinian people are having some sort of a cat fight — my reaction, more power to them, it is no reason for me to support one faction over the other.

In fact, I believe it would be positive if the Zionists destroy Obama’s reelection — maybe that would be a good lesson for other Democrats to keep their distance from those fanatics. Point being: you do not compromise with them, if you accept their money they own you. It would be best to avoid that vermin in the first place.

• POA
      October 17, 2011, 12:02 am

“In fact, I believe it would be positive if the Zionists destroy Obama’s reelection — maybe that would be a good lesson for other Democrats to keep their distance from those fanatics”

Actually their loyalty is misplaced to the degree that they will simply think that Obama got what is coming to him. After all, did they not purposely and willfully undermine him with trips to Israel, and public testimonies to their undying loyalty to Israel?

• lysias
      October 17, 2011, 2:50 pm

Is it really about the money? I have a feeling that, if a president like Obama were to make a speech to the American people about the threats that he has been under about denial of campaign contributions and appealed to the people to make up for the funding shortfall, that he could replace the money.

So why doesn’t he?

8. Bill in Maryland
    October 16, 2011, 8:59 pm

More obvious evidence pointing to Mort Zuckerman’s most cherished issue: his support of Republican Bob Turner over the Democrat in the special election in New York’s 9th Congressional District to replace Anthony Weiner.

9. radii
    October 16, 2011, 9:24 pm

the msm isn’t touching the elephant in the living room – zionist influence – but the public sure is – it is an open topic for discussion anywhere you go on the web or in the world now

10. Real Jew
    October 16, 2011, 9:50 pm

America is in deep shit. There is absolutely nothing anybody can do to stop the lobby. They have become so powerful that the president of the united states can’t even touch them.

As an American, I feel like a child being forced on a terrifying roller coaster that has a 100% chance of crashing. God help us

• anonymouscomments
      October 16, 2011, 11:29 pm

Great way to put it. My feeling is similar. And if it must crash, and I think it will, then often I just want it to crash soon and fast. Then I can live my life trying to build a better future from the ashes, and look forward to an improving state of world affairs (rather than this oppressive feeling of certain disaster, of an uncertain nature, in an uncertain time frame). The dreadful feeling of waiting for the inevitable, while the present itself is fairly mind numbing, is torture.

• American
        October 17, 2011, 10:47 am

I’m with you mous, I ‘d rather get it on and over with than leave it to our children or grandchildren to deal with.

• American
      October 17, 2011, 12:07 am

To me the whole zionist takeover of America is akin to your wife throwing you out of your house, moving her con artist lover in and the court ordering you to support them both while you have to live in a tent in the back yard and watch them frolic in your pool.

• Dan Crowther
        October 17, 2011, 8:21 am

Its EXACTLY like that

— Dan, from his tent in the backyard.

October 17, 2011, 11:42 am

Dan, you got a tent? Some guys have all the luck.

• tree
        October 17, 2011, 3:26 pm

Dan, you got a tent? Some guys have all the luck.

You’ve got a backyard???

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

• Dan Crowther
        October 17, 2011, 3:53 pm

Mooser n Tree-

No and No.

— Dan, from his cardboard box in the alley behind his apartment building

It’s all Hamas’ fault! Damn you Hamas!!!!

• tree
        October 17, 2011, 4:22 pm

Actually, I was ribbing Mooser, not you, Dan.

Watch out, though. I’ve heard cardboard boxes are anti-cementic.

(I can hear the groans! Alright, I can’t compete with Mooser so I should stop trying.)

• Dan Crowther
        October 17, 2011, 5:00 pm

“Watch out, though. I’ve heard cardboard boxes are anti-cementic.”

HAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Awesome, Tree.

October 18, 2011, 2:07 pm

“You’ve got a backyard???”

It was like splitting up a gold mine! She got the mine, I got the shaft.

BTW, stop me if you’ve heard that one before.

• DICKERSON3870
      October 17, 2011, 12:47 am

RE: “I feel like a child being forced on a terrifying roller coaster that has a 100% chance of crashing.” ~ Real Jew

MY COMMENT: To dredge up that incredibly tasteless, misogynistic advice: “As long as it’s inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it.” Unless someone is a sadomasochist, sociopath, psychopath, etc., I have no idea how a person can possibly enjoy it. I suppose a predatory capitalist might invest in the stock market so as to reap a sizable windfall when the roller coaster crashes. That wouldn’t make it any more palatable for me.
      Sometimes I think the unabomber had the right idea about a cabin in the backwoods without electricity (but obviously without the bombs). I certainly can’t afford the prices on Waden Pond.

• radii
      October 17, 2011, 12:53 am

at this point it is the best strategy for Obama to slavishly kowtow to the Lobby at every opportunity and to do so in as humiliating a fashion as possible so it is crystal clear to even the densest of our people that the Lobby calls the shots and all eyes shift to them … if he doesn’t adopt this as a strategy then he’s debased himself and our country with no upside – if a calculated performance can expose the evil wizard behind the curtain it will have been for a purpose

• Chu
        October 17, 2011, 10:16 am

Any great leader is not going to get beat up by a foreign power. It’s embarrassing to themselves and their country. That only proves that the president is weaker than most people thought. Failure to stand up for principle when Netayahu comes to town, shows that Obama doesn’t know how to fight politically, although some credit should be given to him, as his party lacks the spine to align with the supposed transformational president.

After losing the Health care gov’t provided option and failing to resolve the Wall Street fiasco, it was clear that Obama, doesn’t have the chops to get things done. Although he’s young, and probably doesn’t get much help on Israel, it’s not a good sign that the public is seeing.

• lysias
      October 17, 2011, 2:52 pm

I used to think, a couple of years ago, that I had begun to understand how Germans were feeling in 1942 or 1943.

I suspect the best comparison now is with 1944.

11. American
    October 17, 2011, 12:26 am

The UK is house cleaning, a bit anyway. The US needs a gaint zionist enema. When are we going to seesomething like this in the US?

“Was Mossad using Fox and Werritty as ‘useful idiots’? Ex-Ambassador reveals how links made by ‘advisers’ set alarm bells ringing”

Last updated at 11:35 PM on 15th October 2011
    By CRAIG MURRAY

The real reason Liam Fox had to resign was not a grubby little money scandal about firms funding Adam Werritty as he jetted round the world with the Defence Secretary. It was much more important, and much worse, than that.
    Last Sunday, ‘friends of Liam Fox’ were letting it be known that the
    investigation of Werritty would bring up nothing scandalous.
    These friends were widely reported as saying that Werritty’s funding came
    from those wishing to promote U.S. and Israeli interests to the British
    government.

Yet that ‘defence’ of Fox touched on precisely the point that had started
    alarm bells ringing among senior civil servants throughout Whitehall.
    Not only was Werritty being paid to act as an unofficial part of the Defence Secretary’s entourage, the money was coming from people who may have been ready to promote the interests of certain foreign governments, particularly the United States, Israel and Sri Lanka.

While the United States is a very close ally, its commercial and other
    interests are not always identical to UK interests.
    Israel is not a military ally of the UK. There are often tensions between
    its interests in the Middle East and the UK’s interests, as in the attack on
    the Gaza Aid convoy which resulted in the death of Turkish citizens. Turkey is an ally of the UK, being a vital member of NATO.
    As for the Sri Lankan government, there are serious concerns over its human rights record, particularly after major hostilities with Tamil rebel
    fighters had ceased.
    The British Defence Secretary should be exclusively concerned with the
    interests only of Britain.

I was contacted early last week by a senior Whitehall source – somebody I
    have known for more than a decade – who has access to the Cabinet Office investigation.
    They were worried the Cabinet Secretary Gus O’Donnell’s investigation was being misdirected onto only the very narrow question of whether Werritty received specific payments for setting up specific meetings with Fox – playing into Fox’s extraordinary House of Commons defence that Werritty was ‘not dependent on any transactional behaviour to maintain his income’.
    But my source told me that what really was worrying senior officials in the MOD, FCO and Cabinet Office was the possibility that Fox could be being used as a ‘useful idiot’ by Mossad, Israel’s far-reaching and extremely effective intelligence service.
    Key funding sources for Werritty were from the Israeli lobby and a rather
    obscure commercial intelligence agency.
    Might Mossad be pulling Werritty’s strings, with or without his knowledge?
    On Friday, two senior Fleet Street journalists also reported hearing similar concerns from other Whitehall officials about possible Israeli intelligence service involvement with Fox and Werritty.
    By working closely with an unofficial aide with extraordinary access but no security vetting and murky funding sources, Fox had potentially compromised national security. That is the real story here.
    Let us hope that Fox’s fall will remind future Defence Secretaries that
    there is only one country whose interests they should seek to defend – and that is this one.’

Read more:

• Chu
      October 17, 2011, 9:42 am

Not really sure if an enema would be the cure. A cancer that has metastasized is better analogy.

12. Proton Soup
    October 17, 2011, 12:50 am

i don’t understand why anyone would care what he thinks. he’s just a Realtor.

• Chu
      October 17, 2011, 9:43 am

and a newspaper owner, that influences a large swath of Congress
      with his corrupting money.

13. Kathleen
    October 17, 2011, 10:02 am

“This is irresponsible and deceptive. ”
    Nothing new for the WSJ.

The line is being drawn between truly justice and accountability seekers on Palestinian streets, Wall Street and US Main Streets. Zuckerman is not one of those people

14. Kathleen
    October 17, 2011, 10:07 am

” Here he attacked Obama for playing the Middle East “game” all wrong by pushing on settlements.”

Where else would Obama start? Parts of the illegal wall used to confiscate more Palestinian land, the bulldozing of Palestinian homes, businesses, olive groves, the persistent humiliation of Palestinians, the right of return, where else would Zuckerman say that Obama should have started?

How many times do leaders in that neighborhood, Palestinians, former CIA analyst, historians etc have to repeat that the persistent expansion of old illegal settlements and building new illegal housing in E Jerusalem is the major issue standing in the way of peace.

Millions of times I guess

15. Mooser
    October 17, 2011, 12:11 pm

Why of course Zuckerman fell out with Obama over the economy! Israel has nothing to do with it! http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/opening-door-and-welcoming-their-hatred.html

16. radii
    October 17, 2011, 3:10 pm

all we need is a law that says “no dual-citizen may hold high government office or official position in the Cabinet, diplomatic corps, armed forces, agencies, etc.”

… we’d clean house of neocon zionists by the truckload

17. DICKERSON3870
    October 17, 2011, 6:17 pm

RE: “The Wall Street Journal runs a long piece on Mortimer Zuckerman’s disaffection with Barack Obama and goes on and on about Obama’s economic policies, but says not a word about Israel. This is irresponsible and deceptive.” ~ Weiss

MY COMMENT: I’m sorry I have to be the one to tell you this Phil, but we peons do not get to “create reality”. Only the “big boys” get to play that game! That’s the way it always has been, and that’s the way it’ll always be.

FROM GARY LEUPP:

…I think too of an unnamed Bush administration official’s statement to Ron Suskind on the eve of the invasion of Iraq, contemptuously dismissing “what we call the reality-based community.” These are people, the official elaborated, who “believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.” He continued: “That’s not the way the world really works anymore. We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality, we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors … and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.”…

• DICKERSON3870
      October 17, 2011, 9:04 pm

P.S. RE: “I’m sorry I have to be the one to tell you this Phil, but we peons do not get to ‘create reality’. ” ~ me, a priori

MY LEVITY: Phil, I think maybe what you need is a gramme of soma®. Take a holiday from reality™ whenever you like, and come back without so much as a headache or a mythology. There is always soma®, delicious soma®, half a gramme for a half-holiday, a gramme for a week-end, two grammes for a trip to the gorgeous East, three for a dark eternity on the moon! (But never, ever, mix Dostoevsky and Bob Marley!)