AIPAC Hollywood junket to Israel meets protest

hollywoodprotest
(Photo: Carlo Gianferro)

Haaretz reports on a delegation of Hollywood actors on an AIPAC junket to Israel:

Both groups are here as guests of the Jewish Federation’s Tel Aviv/Los Angeles Partnership, The Creative Coalition and the AIPAC-affiliated American Israel Education Foundation.

The actors’ delegation, headed by Tim Daley, has 21 members, including Emmy award winner Joe Pantoliano (“The Sopranos” ), Andrea Bowen (“Desperate Housewives” ), Steven Weber (“Brothers and Sisters” ) and Giancarlo Esposito (“Once Upon a Time” ). The directors’ delegation also includes scriptwriters and senior studio executives, inter alia, Marta Kauffman, one of the creators of “Friends,” and Nina Tassler, who heads the CBS television network’s entertainment division.

Last night, the actors held a press conference at the Dan Hotel in Tel Aviv in which they detailed their itinerary, which includes visits to Sderot and Ramallah, a tour of the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum and a visit to an absorption center for Ethiopian immigrants. Actress Patricia Arquette (“Medium” ) said the goal of the trip was to learn about the “nuances” of the Arab-Israeli conflict. Actor Richard Schiff (“The West Wing” ) added that when they return to the United States, they plan to share what they have learned with their friends and others.

Actor Rob Morrow (“Northern Exposure” ) related that Fayyad had spoken of peace and reconciliation with Israel, but shortly after they left the meeting, they heard that Fatah and Hamas had agreed to form a unity government. That, he said, made them realize how fluid the situation here is.

Delegation members also said they were surprised to see how short a distance separates Jerusalem and Ramallah and likewise Sderot and the Gaza Strip.

CCH Pounder (“Avatar” ) was the only member of the group who said she encountered opposition to her visit here – in her case, from South African friends. Schiff, for his part, was upset upon leaving the hotel to encounter a small group of demonstrators holding signs telling the actors they should be ashamed of themselves and denouncing Israel’s “apartheid” policies.

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. Avi_G.
    November 17, 2011, 10:48 am

Is there any reason for that, historical or otherwise?

• Woody Tanaka
      November 17, 2011, 11:01 am

“Over the years, I have noticed that Italian-Americans have a tendency to support Israel and also espouse anti-Arab and Islamophobic views.”

I believe that it stems from the fact that Jewish-Americans and Italian-Americans shared many similar immigration experiences, as they came to the US about the same time, integrated themselves into the American society at about the same time, and later turned their backs on other, later, immigrant groups.

• RoHa
        November 17, 2011, 6:20 pm

“Italian-Americans … integrated themselves into the American society”

Integrated? To me they seem like another tribal group.

• Duscany
        November 17, 2011, 11:17 pm

“Integrated? To me they seem like another tribal group.”

Such as? Most Italian-Americans I know (and I’m one myself) would bean you with a chafing dish if you suggested they had anything remotely resembling dual loyalities. As for their organizing lobbying groups to demand more foreign aid for Italy or eternal unwaivering “rock solid” support for support for her (as Hillary Clinton once promised for Israel), it would never happen. Americans of Italian descent (they are Americans now and nothing else) support just one country–the United States.

• RoHa
        November 17, 2011, 11:56 pm

” Most Italian-Americans I know (and I’m one myself) would bean you with a chafing dish if you suggested they had anything remotely resembling dual loyalities. As for their organizing lobbying groups to demand more foreign aid for Italy or eternal unwaivering “rock solid” support for support for her (as Hillary Clinton once promised for Israel), it would never happen. Americans of Italian descent (they are Americans now and nothing else) support just one country–the United States.”

This is all good to hear. Perhaps I have seen too many films about the Mafia or starring John Travolta, but I got the impression that they insisted that they were in some way “Italian”.

• Exiled At Home
      November 17, 2011, 11:28 am

That’s quite a broad assertion. Coming from a rather large Italian-American family, I can only speak for my own experience, but my relatives are overwhelmingly opposed to the state of Israel. Not to mention the Catholic Church has consistently sided with Palestinians.

• Avi_G.
        November 17, 2011, 12:01 pm

It certainly was an assertion, Exiled At Home. I agree. To be honest, it was not based on scientific statistical research. It’s just that my personal impression has been that compared to other groups in American society, Italian-Americans seem to hold very favorable views of Israel and the opposite of Arabs.

But actually, now that I think about it (duh!) that disproportion might have something to do with the fact that I have lived in areas of the US with large Italian-American populations, so I ended up drawing erroneous conclusions from that. Mea culpa.

• Dan Crowther
        November 17, 2011, 12:49 pm

I wonder if the history of the Moors has anything to do with this……I myself haven’t noticed particular patterns of anti-islam views among Italians……you guys ever seen “True Romance”? – great flick, in it dennis hopper’s character describes to Christopher Walken’s character ( a italian mob boss) that he has black hair and dark features for a reason……he explains the reason, gets killed. Walken’s character didn’t like hearing about, in the words of Shakespeare the Moor “tupping the white ewe”

• Shmuel
        November 18, 2011, 2:14 am

I wonder if the history of the Moors has anything to do with this

I don’t know about Italian-Americans, but in Italy, cultural memories of assorted Moors, Saracens and Turks certainly play a part in the “national imaginary”. A friend of mine wrote an article about it for Geopolitics :-)

• Dan Crowther
        November 18, 2011, 8:35 am

Shmuel: Always handy in a pinch! Cheers Shmuel

• Shmuel
        November 18, 2011, 2:23 am

Not to mention the Catholic Church has consistently sided with Palestinians.

Not that consistently and not in recent years, although the Everybody Hates Me crowd and their cheerleaders (some of whom are not particularly fond of “Papists”) would have you believe that Castel Gandolfo is actually a training camp for Islamic terrorists.

A recent example of Vatican “solidarity” with the Palestinian people: http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/homepage/news/detail/articolo/vaticano-vatican-israele-israel-9159/

• Taxi
      November 17, 2011, 12:26 pm

My experience of Italian-Americans is that they are suspicious of israel and suspicious of islam too. Their suspicion of islam is recent and all to do with 9/11. Their suspicion of jews/israel is 2000 years old.

One of them once said to me: “we’re still waiting for israel to apologize for toasting jesus”. He said this after the Vatican apologized for not speaking out during the holocaust.

• American
      November 17, 2011, 12:39 pm

I have never noticed that.
      Got anything to back that up?..polls or etc.?
      Among the Italians I know they are into ‘family’ ties with any relatives in Italy– more so than the State of Italy, much less the State of Israel. The older heads of the Italian families around here are very, very Catholic…as in the pre 60’s Catholic church.

• American
        November 17, 2011, 1:48 pm

I was curious about the Italian pro Jews or pro Israel claim so googled around and couldn’t find anything specifically dealing with this. I did
        find dozens of Jewish sites urging Italians to explore their Jewish roots…LOL. And I found this example of Italian -Jewish clash last May.
        The comments are interesting too.

News
        Controversy Surrounds Renaming Of Brooklyn Street After Italian Community Activist
        Borough Park Leaders Concerned Over Ties To Italian Army
        May 30, 2011 9:44 PM

Assemblyman Dov Hikind (AP Photo/Tina Fineberg)

Reporting Pablo Guzmán

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A proposal to rename a street in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn in honor of a longtime Italian community activist has run into a roadblock.

Some community activists want to know more about the man’s record in the Italian army in World War II, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

A street sign in Borough Park was on the verge of being renamed for Zachary Sansone, a founder of the Congress of Italian American Organizations, which he started with his wife, Mary. Zachary Sansone passed away last year. The sign was about to be approved for renaming, but then some questioned Zachary Sansone’s military service.

“I think we don’t have enough information as to what Mr. Sansone’s role was in the fascist Italian army during the second World War. And pending that information, I think this matter should be held in abeyance,” Rabbi Chaim Israel said.

Rabbi Israel and Assemblyman Dov Hikind objected to Community Board 12, about renaming 59th Street between 14th and 15th avenues until more could be learned about Sansone’s time with the Italian army.

“I think it’s outrageous!” Mary Sansone said.

Mary Sansone said her husband went to Italy when he was 12 and was drafted into the army. She said as an American citizen, he went to the American consulate to object — but was denied.

“Oh, he was against Mussolini! He had no choice!” Mary Sansone said.

“But we also know that he made it up to first lieutenant,” Rabbi Israel responded.

Mary Sansone attempted to clarify Rabbi Israel’s claims.

“No, no! The reason why he was first lieutenant is because he was a lawyer, and when you get drafted, you go according to your rank!” she said”

• Chu
      November 17, 2011, 1:16 pm

Hi Avi,

I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed that of any Italian living in New York.
      Italians have a lot of pride, and support of Israel is NOT on that list.

But people who read the NY Post on a daily basis, have a shortsighted
      outlook about the world around them and I am sure they could buy in the
      Israeli propaganda that it churns out on a weekly basis. Italians and any other ethnic group that is.

• tod
      November 17, 2011, 2:45 pm

I hope you’re not talking about Hollywood, because those “Italians” are most likely Jews :) As are the Russians, the Americans, the French, etc. I have some doubts about the black people, but I expect to find out, any time now, they’re from some black Jewish sect in Ukraine. :D

• Chasev
      November 18, 2011, 3:56 pm

I am 50% Italian. I do not support Israel, nor do I espouse anti-Arab and Islamophobic views. Please do no paint us with a broad stroke.

• dahoit
      November 20, 2011, 11:02 am

Sorry,I know and married a half Italian and they don’t particularly care for Jews any more than they particularly care for blacks and Arabs,Poles or French.Typical white people(as I am).Are they haters?No more than the Jews are.Humanity is universal in its actions and thoughts,good thoughts or bad.
      And I bet like every American pol ,from Shillary to George Washington to Leon Panetta has uttered in his life an anti semitic statement, just as many Jews issue anti goyim statements.
      But unlike the Israelis,our founding fathers,racists that they were,didn’t exclude members of a different religion as grounds for disenfranchisement like the Israelis have done.(Different race,yes)

2. Woody Tanaka
    November 17, 2011, 10:57 am

“Actress Patricia Arquette (‘Medium’ ) said the goal of the trip was to learn about the ‘nuances’ of the Arab-Israeli conflict”

“…which they detailed their itinerary, which includes… a tour of the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum”

Because, as we all know, the best way to learn the “nuances” of a present-day Mideast conflict is NOT to go to, say, visit Gaza or tour restricted roads in occupied land run under Apartheid laws, but to see a museum about what to some Europeans did to some other Europeans six decades ago…

• Mndwss
      November 17, 2011, 12:11 pm

Yes. Why did Patricia Arquette not go to the Nakba museums on her trip to israel?

I guess it is because they are not museums, but refugee camps, and just outside israel. And the Nakba is ongoing and very boring!

Much better to visit the museum of the official victims.

• Hostage
      November 17, 2011, 1:06 pm

IIRC her mother was Jewish and her father was a convert to Islam.

• kapok
        November 17, 2011, 3:38 pm

Jew/Schmoo they know what side their bread is buttered on. Play nice w/Israel==more roles.

• eljay
      November 17, 2011, 1:15 pm

>> Actress Patricia Arquette (‘Medium’ ) said the goal of the trip was to learn about the ‘nuances’ of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Couldn’t it also have included humanizing ‘the Other'”, making “better wheels” and maybe even laying some green yarn on the Green Line?

• Justice Please
      November 17, 2011, 1:19 pm

“as we all know, the best way to learn the “nuances” of a present-day Mideast conflict is NOT to go to, say, visit Gaza or tour restricted roads in occupied land run under Apartheid laws, but to see a museum about what to some Europeans did to some other Europeans six decades ago…”

Spot on, Woody.

3. annie
    November 17, 2011, 11:37 am

interesting.

4. Kathleen
    November 17, 2011, 12:02 pm

Wonder if they would sponsor a trip to Israel here at Mondoweiss? tee hee

• Taxi
      November 17, 2011, 12:51 pm

Them hollywooderz would save a fortune in airline tickets if only they would visit mondo and learn the “nuances” of the I/P conflict.

I’ve met quite a few people in hollywood who support the Palestinians but not in front of their jewish producers or agents.

They’re so untrustworthy them goy hollywood types. And they’re always looking/shopping for a ’cause’ like they do an accessory.

• DBG
        November 17, 2011, 1:11 pm

we really need the ability to tweet comments.

• Taxi
        November 17, 2011, 4:06 pm

Tweet tweet.

• teta mother me
        November 18, 2011, 6:14 pm

I wish someone could explain tweets. I don’t get it at all. What can you do with a tweet that you can’t do with a comment on a forum or an email?

• RoHa
        November 18, 2011, 8:11 pm

As far as I can tell, with tweets you can immediately broadcast your inane musings to huge numbers of people who aren’t interested without having to go through forums or emails.

Mind you, I’m still trying to find out what the point of Facebook is. I can’t see any practical value in it at all.

• annie
        November 18, 2011, 8:15 pm

it’s extremely valuable in finding breaking news.

• RoHa
        November 19, 2011, 9:31 pm

Perhaps I should clarify that when I wrote “your”, I was using it in the general sense, not the particular.

• DBG
        November 17, 2011, 1:17 pm

Rob Morrow is Jewish and apparently Patricia Arquette is too.

• Chaos4700
        November 18, 2011, 4:44 pm

Not that anyone is, you know, counting Jews or anything anti-Semitic like that, right DBG?

• Dan Crowther
        November 18, 2011, 6:52 pm

hahahaaaa!!!

5. dumvitaestspesest
    November 17, 2011, 12:19 pm

It always amazes me, how much, so called ,”entertainer’s opinion”
    ( all those actors/singers/talk-show-hosts, etc. ) have an impact on shaping an opinion of American public .
    They are just actors or singers.
    Why do their voices count so much??
    They are, most of the time, as ignorant as an average Jane or Joe on many important topics. Plus , they sit deeply in the pockets of their rich ,Hollywood Bosses ,who call the shots.
    So , pleeeeesee ,Andrea, Joe or Patricia. Give me a break ,and either get familiar with the subject, or talk only about your stage, film or whatever else performance.
    You are just a PERFORMER.
    Nothing else.

• Taxi
      November 17, 2011, 2:18 pm

Well it don’t matter what job you do, everyone is entitled to their political opinion, even actors. Most actors have dubious, dumb or pretentious interests in justice, few are true to the cause of humanity. Marlon Brando is a rare exception:

Clooney and the Sudan project: yes George is smart, but they (american zionists) used him like a rusty tool to cleave asunder an arab country, rich in oil – severed into two parts and these two parts now are about to go war. So like he helped stop a civil war but started a border war. Aye ya yah! FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM NOT SOLVED, just definition of the conflict was altered.

Very few actors during the past 64 years have spoken up about the plight of the Palestinians. Venessa Redgrave is the bravest of the short list.

But nobody was braver than Marlon Brando – the greatest American Actor in our lifetime whose career was snuffed out by the hollywood jewish mafia soon as he bitterly uttered them four words: “hollywood is run by jews”. And not a single actor, producer, scriptwriter or director, came to his defense, even though they knew he was talking truth. He died in a rented one bedroom in Hollywood. No one in Hollywood expressed either guilt, shame or disgust with the hollywood jewish mafia.

Ben Afleck on Arabs:

• dumvitaestspesest
        November 17, 2011, 2:45 pm

Of course ” everbody has a right to their own opinions. ”
        But why do I have to listen to them:).??
        My point is that their voice or Political opinions often do count for nothing.
        Thay are, more than rarely, ignorant, bias, corrupted, opportunistic and… I think that’s enough not to pay too much attention to what they say.
        The sad part is that people, on average, do pay much more attention to what their “media darlings/gurus” say, than so called experts/specialists. Experts are, most of the time ,too boring to listen to.
        And they don’t have those big, broad smiles and nice, seductive cleavages.

• RoHa
        November 17, 2011, 6:29 pm

‘Of course ” everbody has a right to their own opinions. ”’

No they don’t. People only have a right to an opinion on a topic about which they have actually done some learning and thinking.

‘But why do I have to listen to them:).??”

That, alas, is one of the great problems of the modern world. We get their imbecilic ideas thrown at us with as much force as the crappy screaming “music” in the damned supermarket.

“more than rarely, ignorant, bias, corrupted, opportunistic”

Biased.

“And they don’t have those … nice, seductive cleavages.”

This is the best reason for paying any attention to them. But you can turn the sound down without affecting the picture.

• DBG
        November 17, 2011, 3:30 pm

So Clooney was responsible for South Sudan becoming independent and you are obviously against South Sudanese independence, Crazy!

• Taxi
        November 18, 2011, 1:43 am

DBG,

Yes deary ma, I prefer the west STOP DIVIDING to rule!

Israel’s fingerprints are all over Sudan’s troubles – celebrating dividing up a large African Arab country while usa corps siphons out sudanese oil.

“The Sudan was a part of Israel’s extended periphery strategy as early as the 1950s. In 1956, Israel developed contacts with the pro-Western Umma Moslem Party of Sudan. The Umma Party, one of the two traditional leading parties in the Sudan (and winner of the 1986 elections), has always been nationalist, leaning away from close relations with Egypt. Israeli interests in supporting it were quite clear…..”

• seafoid
        November 17, 2011, 5:52 pm

Great links, Taxi

Did you ever come across John Trudell ?

the reality of the spiritually disconnected
        no spiritual relationship to life
        Cancers of greed and war

Israel , of course, but the rest of the West too

• flyod
        November 17, 2011, 10:40 pm

brando financially supported the terrorist group Irgun thus aiding the ethnic cleansing of palestine. these later comments of his, a change of heart i suppose?

• annie
        November 17, 2011, 10:48 pm

have you read Brando, Native American Activist, Gave Money to Irgun Out of Gratitude to Jews Who Helped Him in the Arts

More on artists and Israel. Here is a story my mom sent me, written by a Louie Kemp, a Minnesotan, speaking of his friendship with the late Marlon Brando. Kemp says that in ’46 Brando gave tons of money to the Irgun , in part out of gratitude to Jews like acting theorist Stella Adler. “Marlon… told me with great emotion that his success in theater and movies was largely due to the Jewish people in New York who befriended and taught him.” Huh.

The late Brando is famous for his activism on behalf of Native Americans. Had a Native American accept his Oscar, etc. I bet he’d be on the Nakba if he were around today…

• Taxi
        November 18, 2011, 1:53 am

Seafoid, yes I love Trudell. Went to one of his band pow wows some twenty years ago, met him, super cool man.

Regarding Brando’s support of Irgun – this was in the days when the world had no idea what the zionists were doing to Palestine: they’d been fed on holocaust stories and were told that Palestine was empty of people. Brando’s political awakening came in the late 60’s some twenty years after ignorantly supporting the Irgun. Him standing up for Native Americans is tantamount to renouncing zionism too, just not publicly as he knew that he still wanted to make movies in jewish hollywood. He became angry at them because he realized the bullshit they’ve been feeding him and america at large.

It really is brave to refuse an oscar on political grounds.

• annie
        November 18, 2011, 2:01 am

taxi, checkout the comment section of my earlier link. the article phil links to claims this:

Marlon put his money where his mouth was and donated all of his proceeds from the play, “A Flag Is Born,” to the Irgun, a Zionist political group dedicated to rescuing European Jewry and the establishment of Israel as an independent sovereign nation.

i dunno …had the whole marlon/ “A Flag Is Born” surfaced prior to his death it would have been more compelling. i just do not know. it doesn’t scream at me like the martin allegations bit it is so self serving. perhaps he did that..but the comment section of pil’s thread indicates he definitely wasn’t in that head space later in life.

• Avi_G.
      November 17, 2011, 9:46 pm

dumvitaestspesest,

The unfortunate fact is that such actors, much like sports figures, political or religious leaders are role models for many people. Their opinions could very well be biased, not based on fact, but they are role models to whom others look up. As such, they have the power to influence people’s views. In a sense it’s no different than religion or ideology. Have you seen how soccer fans or football fans of rival teams sometimes attack each other?

And in recent years, politicians have started to make use of actors to promote THEIR brand of politics; take the ludicrous use of Chuck Norris by republican nominees, for example. It’s cheap marketing.

So what AIPAC is selling here is neither the truth, nor fact, nor reality. Instead, it is selling a brand. It’s akin to selling the sizzle, not the steak.

But, that’s all Israel has left, a lousy brand image. Substance? No need for substance. AIPAC is Israel’s marketing department in the US.

• dumvitaestspesest
        November 17, 2011, 11:02 pm

Unfortunately ,Israel’s marketing department in the US” ,aka AIPAC ,does a very good job in a brain-washing/ brain-numbing of many Americans. Knowing, how an average American treats its own country’s people from show-business, ( the equivalent of semi-gods), they use those “Icons”‘to promote their agenda in an “artsy” way.
        Whatever works.
        For them, a “lousy brand image” without any “substance” does not matter. As long as it sells, everything is under control.
        Money talks. Bribery and threat invites cooperation. Fear causes to surrender .

• teta mother me
      November 18, 2011, 5:59 pm

Hollywood & entertainment media (TV) define culture and even history in the US.

The comments, above, that characterized Italians were quite offensive to me. I also suspect most of them took their cues from movies or TV programs about Italians, moreso than from actual knowledge of the history of Italy and the real life experience of Americans of Italian ancestry. Italy is one of the most favored places for Americans to visit, but I suspect its also the country whose history is least understood — and appreciated.

It’s extremely unlikely that Italians would support Israel, the occupier, rather than Palestinians, the Occupied, inasmuch as Italy was occupied for hundreds of its years. More often than not, for an Italian, patriotism meant RESISTING the government, not supporting it. My grandfather left his farm in Italy rather then see his sons be drafted into Mussolini’s army; he dug ditches rather than support a state policy he did not think was right.

Vittorio Arrigoni,RIP
      <a href = "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc5hXubHhKI&feature=related&quot; Bella Ciao Bella Ciao Bella Ciao Ciao Ciao!

• teta mother me
      November 18, 2011, 6:07 pm

Hollywood & entertainment media (TV) define culture and even history in the US.

The comments, above, that characterized Italians were quite offensive to me. I also suspect most of them took their cues from movies or TV programs about Italians, rather than from actual knowledge of the history of Italy and the real life experience of Americans of Italian ancestry. This is so because –Hollywood & TV define culture and even history in the US! Lately, I hear pundit argue that a thing is true because this movie or that portrayed it.

Italy is one of the most favored places for Americans to visit, but I suspect it’s also the country whose history is least known, understood, and appreciated. Most people’s perception of Italy/Italians = Mafia & Sopranos and Italian food, but not Filangieri (who wrote the first treatise on political science & corresponded with Ben Franklin as US establishing documents were being drafted) or Philip Mazzei, Thomas Jefferson’s friend, neighbor, and inspiration for the notion that “all men are created equal” — and, who introduced the first vinyards to the US, at Mazzei’s farm across the mountain from Jefferson’s Monticello.

Vittorio Arrigoni,RIP
      Bella Ciao Bella Ciao Bella Ciao Ciao Ciao!

• annie
        November 18, 2011, 7:41 pm

when i think of italy, aside from the language which is the prettiest to my ears of all of them (just my personal preference), i think of design. the fashion and the cars and anyone who has ever been there..everything is gorgeous as well as the people. and the food and art are out of this world. italians must be born with good taste.

but what do i know.

• dahoit
      November 20, 2011, 11:11 am

Considering Hollywood hasn’t created an important movie about any issue since maybe the 50s,why call these people actors,instead of overpaid and underwhelming nobodies.
      No Jimmie Stewarts,Henry Fondas,Paul Munis or even the Duke in this current crop of vapid pretty things.

6. American
    November 17, 2011, 12:41 pm

Well, I don’t watch any of the shows of those actors anyway so I guess I don’t have to add them to my boycott list.

7. Dan Crowther
    November 17, 2011, 12:51 pm

Never liked Tobey from the west wing……wait, yes I did.

8. radii
    November 17, 2011, 8:27 pm

I wonder how well AIPAC vetted this group of actors, or were they so desperate they took any with even a modest profile that they could get … I know at least a couple of those actors have progressive politics and are well-aware of what a menace israel has become … the gambit could backfire royally on AIPAC and the hasbarists if there are a couple or more actors in that group with an entirely different agenda than what is expected of them by AIPAC

9. Chasev
    November 18, 2011, 3:57 pm

This is a move to “Save our careers”. Most of these actors are B, C, and D list talent.