Now they care

lynsey
New York Times photographer Lynsey Addario

The Israeli border guards’ brutal treatment of a pregnant NY Times photographer at the Gaza crossing has driven Joe Klein to denounce “Israeli Thuggery” at Time:

Lynsey Addario… was forced to pass through the machine 3 times while being verbally abused and then strip-searched for good measure.

But what is there to understand, exactly? That it’s okay for teenage checkpoint guards to decide whether it’s safe to expose a fetus to X-rays? That it’s okay for them to treat an American journalist in a cavalier and cruel fashion without, say, stopping to consult with their superiors? Or that it’s okay for the apparatus of the military occupation to continue committing acts that, inevitably, bring shame and embarrassment on Israel, a country that is constantly striving to paint itself as a moral and just haven, one that American Jewish organizations, and the American government, spend millions of dollars and valuable political capital every year defending from delegitimizing attacks suggesting otherwise? […]

The truth is there’s simply nothing to excuse, justify, or even really explain why these guards decided to force Addario back through the machine twice, and then three times, “as they watched and laughed from above,” according to Addario’s complaint. Nor would anything make reason of the fact that, afterward, they forced her to strip down to her underwear and lift her shirt to expose her belly for additional inspection. This, from a country that treats women’s fertility and prenatal health as a paramount public policy issue. This, from a country that prides itself on the procedures used by its military. This, from a country whose soldiers should know better than to do anything that they wouldn’t want the world to see on YouTube, and whose commanding officers should know to watch their teenage charges like hawks. This, from a country that imagines itself as the kind of place where Addario, and any other person who posed no threat, is treated with fairness and perhaps even kindness. Thankfully, she seems to be fine. The rest of us should be apoplectic.

Oh but Dahlia Scheindlin at +972 gets the story (boldface mine):

Here’s the rub: we get upset when the face is known to us, even by association: New York Times; hostage in Libya; journalist. The fact is this happens all the time, to other 27-week pregnant women with no editor to write the IDF and stand up for them. If you cut them, do they not bleed? And if you wrong them, will they not take revenge?

I’ll say it again: occupation behavior is monster that cannot be silenced on command. Once an occupier of Palestinians at a checkpoint, you will be an occupier of westerners and journalists at the checkpoint, of Arab citizens in Israel, on the roads, in the supermarket, and probably, eventually, in your very own home.

1. Mooser
    November 29, 2011, 6:32 pm

“It is another indication that Israel has been brutalized by its occupation of Arab territories since 1967.”

And of course, he grovels for two sentences after that, and reaffirms Israel as our responsibility. Yeah, if only the Israelis had occupied some nice people, instead of those Arabs.
    Who the hell is he trying to kid? He is trying to sell us Israel even as he criticises this tiny “wart”.

• eGuard
      November 29, 2011, 7:02 pm

This, and Joe Klein also writing in the once-great Time: I dare not tell her to cool it for the next few months, until the bambino arrives–but she really should. Yeah, she should shut up about this. I gave this friend of mine five compliments already. Stupid rousing Italian. Ah, what made those Arabs us do this.

(But hey, Mondoweiss, why are we still talking about Time?)

• W.Jones
      November 30, 2011, 12:34 am

Mooser: I note two things:
      1. First, I don’t really see how he is saying it’s not Israel’s fault and that the problem is that they have to deal with bad people. Maybe some people make this cathartic argument, saying Israel got a bad deal because it was stuck with bad people and now dealing with them has hurt Israel’s own morality. Perhaps this is partly true. But anyway, I don’t see this in the author’s paragraph.

2. You have made an interesting note that the author “grovels”. I note the structure of the paragraph: it basically says that there is this awful event and tendency the author wants to draw your attention to, but then tries to cover for it, make justifications, or to say “Yes this is my big point you need to pay attention to, but still in spite of that…” I can see this sentence structure as a kind of making a strong statement and then trying to lessen the impact. Which is mistaken- as if he is thinking that complaining about injustice should lead you to question a country’s own existence. Why should it? Can’t we just point out injustices without opposing a country?

Now think of the opposite structure: the person starts out with a paragraph promoting the virtues of the country’s founding, and then makes the second half a strong denunciation of the country’s practices: “I believe in this country very strongly, but there are very awful practices going on that need to be stopped now and you need to pay attention to, and this is the main point of my article.” This sentence structure would be the structure of someone who is a sincere believer in the country and also that the behavior is wrong.

And you know what, somehow I have a feeling that if someone comes across with the “loyal” second sentence structure, the government supporters for some reason find them even more of a threat than a weak person who is willing to use the former sentence structure that makes a statement and then makes excuses for the bad behavior- (“yes this is a very bad practice, but you can’t think bad about the country’s existence”)

I find this situation very very ironic, where the loyal complainer is seen more as a threat than the one that says something is wrong and then makes excuses.

What do you think?

November 30, 2011, 12:33 pm

“What do you think?”

Oh, I see, one of those “when did you stop beating your wife” questions! Well it won’t work, W. Jones. No round-about accusation will trick me into admitting to something like that. And I warn you: My complete innocence is well documented, and any attempt to prove otherwise will, I am sure, redound to your discredit.

• American
        November 30, 2011, 1:56 pm

“Which is mistaken- as if he is thinking that complaining about injustice should lead you to question a country’s own existence. Why should it? Can’t we just point out injustices without opposing a country? ”

Please WJ.
        We are opposing a government (0f Israel)….it just so happens that all Israel’s governments which control the ‘country’ have gone from bad to worse in creating, maintaining injustices.
        I’d be happy to see a Swat Team sent in to wipe out their government and clean up their ‘country’ and leave the innocent untouched.
        But that’s not what the world does it is it?…Nope, ALL the Germans, the entire country, was guilty. ALL of Gaza is guilty so bomb the shit out of them ALL to get Hamas. ALL of Lebanon was guilty so bomb the shit out of that country and drop a million cluster bombs on them just to get Hezbollah.

Just getting the baddies is a great idea….wonder why we don’t do that instead of wholesale war.
        I object to extrajudical assassinations in principle but my main objection in the case of Israel is someone should return the favor on their leaders…and quite a few in the US too.

• W.Jones
        December 2, 2011, 1:40 pm

Mooser,

In (1) I was at most only accusing you of misunderstanding the writer. I did not say you were a bad person or beating your wife, which of course are three very different things (sarcasm)

In (2) I basically agreed with you.

2. eGuard
    November 29, 2011, 6:47 pm

Or, as Angry Arab writes clarifying all: “It is news when Israel does it to white people”.

• eGuard
      November 29, 2011, 6:52 pm

It happened well before October 25th. Let’s wait for the NYT to come out and publish. Who are we to judge without Them saying Whats Fit To Hide without a Hint?

• jayn0t
      November 29, 2011, 10:36 pm

Angry Arab’s analysis is typical of the pc left. Instead of complaining that it is news when ‘Israel does it to white people’, which implies a common interest between Jewish and European identity, it would be more effective to point out that Jewish supremacy is against the interests most of the inhabitants of the Western countries, as well as those of the Middle East. The left as it stands can’t do that – that’s why it has been so effective against white apartheid, segregation and so on, but not against Jewish supremacy.

3. Shingo
    November 29, 2011, 6:53 pm

If this is any illustration of the kinds of rascist inbred freaks that make up theIDF, it little wonder Hezbollah were able ro make them soil their army fatigues.

4. Woody Tanaka
    November 29, 2011, 6:54 pm

‘This is completely outrageous, of course. It is another indication that Israel has been brutalized by its occupation of Arab territories since 1967. For those of us who feel strongly about the need for Israel to exist–especially those of us who love the place, warts and all–this incident is yet another reason to fear for Israel’s future.”

This is disgusting. Damn it, no, “Israel” has not been brutalized — it’s been the one brutilizing others, for generations. But even when the evil acts of the demonic scum of the IOF finally get through the Zio-haze of the US media. don’t you worry… you can count on pieces of filth like Klein to write the story that makes the fucking Israelis as the victims. And while Klein worry-strokes himself over how he “fears” for Isreal’s future, here, in the real world, he can’t even drum up a sentence for the people who really have to fear: the Palestinians, who live in fear of these fucking Israeli bastards every day.

Hoffman’s delusional, but, again, this story isn’t “So how does this monstrous vermin’s acts against this poor woman make Israel look bad.” The real story is “Holy shit, there is a gaping, black hole where the souls and humanity of these Israelis should be. Why didn’t we fucking notice THAT before???”

• mikeo
      November 30, 2011, 3:21 am

Woody

WORD

• seafoid
      November 30, 2011, 5:05 am

“This is disgusting. Damn it, no, “Israel” has not been brutalized — it’s been the one brutilizing others, for generations. ”

Anyone who doesn’t know this hasn’t been paying attention. the assassinations in the 30s, Deir Yassin, , Beirut 82, Qana, Gaza white phosphorous. It takes a lot of cruelty to keep Israel in business.

5. RoHa
    November 29, 2011, 7:08 pm

That’s awful! Treating an American Jew as if she were an Arab!

6. john h
    November 29, 2011, 7:53 pm

Your headline, “Now they care”, says it all.

Zionism has in its very nature the mentality of an oppressor. As soon as Palestine was chosen as the place to form a state it was inevitable, as Jabotinsky spelled out in fine detail in 1923 as being moral and just and what that would entail.

The reaction to what this photographer went through just exposes the West’s hypocrisy and blindness that has been there from the beginning. We in the West have always been the facilitator, in collusion and with full complicity.

Thankfully, she seems to be fine. The rest of us should be apoplectic.

Palestinians cannot be fine and go back home to somewhere else, they face daily humiliation, they live it in their own homeland. No thanks to us and our crocodile tears.

The fact that we haven’t been apoplectic has allowed this monster to run amok for almost a century.

• pabelmont
      November 29, 2011, 9:23 pm

Exactly. And the fact that the people complaining about the treatment of one non-Arab photographer are NOT complaining about the treatment of millions of Palestinians speaks volumes and, really, makes your point.

7. Mooser
    November 29, 2011, 7:56 pm

“–this incident is yet another reason to fear for Israel’s future.”

Notice, he never says Israel should watch out for it’s own goddam future, oh no, that’s not their job. They’ve been to brutalised by occupying “Arabs”.

• RoHa
      November 29, 2011, 8:56 pm

Those Arabs should never have been there in the first place. They should all go back where they came from.

• Charon
      November 30, 2011, 1:05 am

To be fair, Joe Klein knows very well the truth about I/P. He was also attacked and smeared for saying that ‘Jewish Neoconservatives” championed for the war against Iraq even though that is a true statement. For the most part, Neoconservatives are Zionist Jews. To admit that is apparently ‘antisemitic’ though along with any truths about the Ziocon agenda.

He spun it like that because he is treading dangerous waters. A journalist must choose their words very carefully no matter how respected they are… Their career is on the line.

This is the way to spin I/P to the sheeple… Israel has become a mad dog and if you care about Israel, you will support ending the occupation and advocating regime change. Unlike Iraq and Iran, it would actually make sense. Israel’s biggest enemy is Israel.

8. Kris
    November 29, 2011, 7:57 pm

I am astonished that Lynsey Addario didn’t refuse to pass through the screening machines, even if she would have had to strip behind a glass wall. Or even right out there in front of crowds of people. Prenatal exposure to x-rays increases a baby’s chances of developing childhood leukemia.

• Charon
      November 30, 2011, 1:09 am

Some pretty cruel comments in john h’s links (in the comment sections). I’m going to try not wasting any negative energy wishing any sort of cruel fate on such immoral people. Karma’s a bitch and they’ll get theirs in the end.

9. dumvitaestspesest
    November 29, 2011, 9:13 pm

“This is completely outrageous, of course.
    It is another indication that Nazi-Germany has been brutalized by its occupation of European territories since 1939. For those of us, who feel strongly about the need for Nazi-Germany to exist–especially those of us who love the place, warts and all–this incident is yet another reason to fear for Nazi-Germany’s future.”

10. Proton Soup
    November 29, 2011, 10:21 pm

great. and this is what Senator Levin wants to do to America.

why would Levin also do this to us?

11. MRW
    November 29, 2011, 11:11 pm

Joe Klein’s reaction is repellent in that he thinks damaging a NYT reporter’s fetus trumps killing a million (there are 900,000 widows in Iraq) in Iraq, and I-dont-know-how-many in Afghanistan.

Morality matters.

• annie
      November 29, 2011, 11:13 pm

Joe Klein’s reaction is repellent

yeah, i gagged.

• RoHa
      November 29, 2011, 11:26 pm

You are not counting the effect depleted uranium dust has on Iraqi fetuses?

12. Avi_G.
    November 30, 2011, 12:08 am

Irit, a 39-year-old Jewish Israeli woman describes how her experiences changed after she met a non-Jewish Israeli, a Palestinian from Israel.

From Sleeping on a Wire: Conversations with Palestinians in Israel

A year before I met Ghasaan, I went overseas. I went through airport security normally: you go, you fly, you return. A year later I traveled with Ghasaan, and then, all at once – the search through the suitcases. They undressed us. They took my hair dryer completely apart. I told them, “Wait a minute, last year I traveled with the same hair dryer and it wasn’t dangerous then!” I was pregnant. They stripped me down to my underwear. The guard came with an electric instrument. I told her, “I’m asking you please, I’m pregnant; don’t check me with that instrument. Check me with your hands, do whatever you want.” She wouldn’t agree. She said, “I’ll only check you from behind.” I said, “But I’m pregnant! Do you know anything about the way a woman is built? What difference does it make to a pregnant woman if it’s in front or behind?” It didn’t help. “I don’t understand”, I told her, “I’m a student like you, I’m Israeli like you.” She looked at me funny and said, “I have orders and I carry them out.” Those were my first steps as an ‘Arab’.

The book was published in 1993.

And as the following video shows, this humiliating treatment of Palestinians or those who stand in solidarity with Palestinians, has been going on for decades.

Now the NYT treats this incident as though it’s a rude awakening.
    What a bunch of hypocrites.

Additionally, as Mooser has already noted, the NYT’s spin about Israel being brutalized by the occupation is in a category of its own for shameless propaganda whoring.

• W.Jones
      November 30, 2011, 12:59 am

I think Israel really is being brutalized by the occupation. I heard that a prison guard in a NY prison did not seem the same way to his relatives after he worked there a long time. And that was just his job, and he was not necessarily a bad guy, for all I know. I do think the brutalities being inflicted also degrades the oppressors.

• American
        November 30, 2011, 9:14 am

W.Jones says:
        November 30, 2011 at 12:59 am
        I think Israel really is being brutalized by the occupation”

Who established the occupation, who and what mentality keeps it going?
        I don’t think you can put the cart before the horse on this.

But blaming the IDF behavior on their positions might have some valadity as a reason for their behavior. Several studies like the Stanford Experiment have been done on that..studying how putting people in power sometimes leads to their abusing others.

But every study done on that also found that the character and personality of the person, like a prison guard sitution , determines how they behave….and the most important thing—Leadership, who’s in charge of those guards.

The BBC Prison Study done at Exeter and St, Andrews now taught as a core study on the UK A-level Psychology OCR syllabus concluded that people don’t slip mindlessly into roles and that cruelty isn’t the “natural” outcome of having power over others…..it depends more on the individual and the leadership in any given group.

• eljay
        November 30, 2011, 12:46 pm

>> I think Israel really is being brutalized by the occupation.

The rapist is brutalized by the countless rapes he continues to commit. He’s not necessarily a bad guy, but the gawd-driven need to self-(self-)determine himself in women, combined with the victims’ aggression, anguish and vitriol, get to him after a while. He knows he could stop raping – and probably should stop raping – but, well, somebody’s gotta do it.

• W.Jones
        December 2, 2011, 1:23 pm

In this situation, is the rapist also brutalized in some way? Certainly his/her personality is degraded by his/her actions.

Take the people who carried out the Mai Lai massacre or massacred masses of Iraqi civilians with bombs. Weren’t they also spiritually degraded? Or how about when hundreds of men, women, and children were bombed in Gaza? Havenn’t those actions made the society and the bombers more brutal (brut-alized them)?

That’s what I am talking about. The segment of the population that was the kibbitzers and left socialists of the 1930’s-1950’s are gone, and it is not just by old age. One thing I like about Israeli society was those kibbutzes, with the “true” communist ideals. But the occupation and system of Separation has made the society brutal and done away with it, without fanfare and as a natural process.

Of course, you may still be able to find some idealistic kibbutzes, and yes you can blame it on the fact that the world is less socialist. But still, other parts of the world have significant leftist segments, even in America. The Separation has, as a natural process, made the Israeli Labor Party go away, for example.

It is the brutalization of Character.

• Sumud
      November 30, 2011, 3:28 am

Avi_G ~ that YT video is horrific. There’s no other word but ‘monsters’, for people who would do something like that.

13. Philip Weiss
    November 30, 2011, 12:12 am

Joe Klein has done some really great work over the years, though, and I’m grateful to him for diming out the neocons, who he said did not want to be identified even as they pushed their “benign domino theory” for an Iraq war that would make Israel safer. They told Klein this, more than likely, because he’s Jewish and they were calling on his concern for Israel; but his concern for America caused him to report these crazy ideas….

• Charon
      November 30, 2011, 1:18 am

I was initially upset (similar to others here) on his choice of words, then I realized he treads dangerous waters. He’s written some controversial stuff, I have no doubt he knows the truth about I/P. If such a stink was made about his true statement on neocons and Iraq, Klein has his career on the line along with being smeared as a self-hater to consider. If this is how journalism needs to spin it to the masses, so be it. They are more likely to accept “Our friend Israel has gone rouge” than 63 years of lies. They’ll discover those lies in the end anyways

• American
        November 30, 2011, 9:25 am

“If this is how journalism needs to spin it to the masses, so be it. They are more likely to accept “Our friend Israel has gone rouge” than 63 years ..”

Unfortunately that is just more tip toeing around about Israel and it’s supporters…just keeps the myth of Israel as friend or ally going instead of calling the US-Isr relationship what it is and calling out why it exist.
        Time to tell the straight out truth and let the chips fall where they may……if the Israel supporters don’t like it they don’t have to accept to it. But let the truth and facts be their problem for a change..their spin has been our problem for too long.

• seafoid
        November 30, 2011, 4:42 pm

2 Ha`aretz articles from 5 September 2007 that illustrate Zionist cognitive dissonance to a tee . You can’t make this kind of stuff up.
        Israel is nuts

link to haaretz.com

1. Israel to naturalize several hundred Darfur refugees

Interior Minister Sheetrit: Because of the history of the Jewish people, Israel cannot ignore the refugees’ fate.

And on the very same day

2. Defense Min. to examine cutting electricity to Gaza

link to haaretz.com

On Judaism and cruelty here is an excellent piece by Henry Siegman also from 2007

link to snuffysmithsblog.blogspot.com

An agreement that leads to the end of an occupation that with the best of intentions humiliates and brutalizes an entire nation should be more than enough of a reason to go for it. The subjugation and permanent dispossession of millions of people is surely not the vocation of Judaism, nor is it an acceptable condition for a Jewish national revival .

• john h
        November 30, 2011, 5:15 pm

Your second link has some interesting statements:

What is in it for Israel should be self-evident, but now that three new
        Israeli generations have been born having no memory of Israel without
        settlements, it no longer is; for too many, the occupation—and the
        spiral of Israeli-Palestinian violence that has come with it—is a given,
        the natural order of things.

Not only that, but also this:

The whole point of that [Oslo] agreement was to show Palestinians that Abbas’s moderation and opposition to violence could obtain results that Israel had denied his predecessor, Yasser Arafat. It proved the opposite. According to Wolfensohn, Israel violated the agreement before the ink of its representatives’ signatures had dried.

“In the months that followed, every aspect of the agreement was abrogated,” Wolfensohn, an observant Jew and a lifelong friend and generous philanthropic supporter of Israel, recently told the Israeli newspaper /Ha’aretz/.

nospam said…

Occupation? How about ending the Arab occupation of Judea and Samaria

This is the Israel they care about. Just as you said, “You can’t make this kind of stuff up. Israel is nuts”.

• john h
        November 30, 2011, 5:31 pm

Oops, that was from your third link to snuffysmithsblog.blogspot.com

November 30, 2011, 12:43 pm

“Our friend Israel has gone rouge”

And there’s that darn “pinkwashing” again! But I suppose it’s an inevitable sequins.

• Sand
      November 30, 2011, 2:24 am

PW: “…Joe Klein has done some really great work over the years..”

Yeah, but all I see in Joe’s angst is a flashing red light: of the ‘guaranteed Zionist reflex mechanism’ — that will always operate when needed.

Joe Klein: “For those of us who feel strongly about the need for Israel to exist–especially those of us who love the place, warts and all [!!!]–this incident is yet another reason to fear for Israel’s future…”

Read more: link to swampland.time.com

Note: These guys only go so far and then ‘circle the wagons’ time and time, and time again. Two steps forward, and then two steps back. We just don’t have the time for this hand-winging. Israel and the American Zionists blew it — but they won’t accept defeat.

14. yourstruly
    November 30, 2011, 12:53 am

once one starts dehumanizing a people (here, the palestinians), how “natural” it may seem to dehumanize another people.

15. ToivoS
    November 30, 2011, 2:36 am

I guess this is progress. I must identify with most of the comments above but the discussion is progressing. Recall Golda Meir complaining about how the Arabs were wounding the Israeli soul — how she could not forgive them for forcing those poor young Israeli children into “shooting and crying” , while they slaughtered Palestinians.

At least they have stopped that crap. Today these innocent young Israelis are humiliating and laughing. And unfortunately for the the hasbara brigades they just happened to bag a white women who worked for the NYT that is willing to discuss it.

Feel sorry for Israel world, they are deligitimizing themselves without knowing how or why.

16. moonkoon
    November 30, 2011, 6:45 am

… Israel has been brutalized by its occupation of Arab territories since 1967. …

If that’s not chutzpah, it will do till we get some. :-)

17. patm
    November 30, 2011, 8:30 am

“Israel has been brutalized by its occupation of Arab territories since 1967. …”

The “1967” is important too. He knows he’s relatively safe stopping at this date.

18. Justice Please
    November 30, 2011, 12:26 pm

“The fact is this happens all the time, to other 27-week pregnant women with no editor to write the IDF and stand up for them. If you cut them, do they not bleed? And if you wrong them, will they not take revenge?”

Fact.

19. dimadok
    November 30, 2011, 2:32 pm

Oh my, oh my-pregnant woman got X-rayed by the evil IDF!!! So much drama, so much outcry. All based on dangerous mix of ignorance, Israel-bashing reflex and blatant hate.
    She got less radiation exposure, and her fetus as well, than flying 10 min on the airplane- I presume she flew in to Israel, since she does not live there?
    Does she speak Hebrew to know that she was laughed upon?
    I also presume she ate and drank water in Gaza, without asking where it came from, what pesticide was used and where the water came from as well.
    Get over it-people are dying all over , Fogel family killer got convicted, Katyushas fired on Israel north, and all you care about some reporter with adrenaline rush, who wanted some “exposure”?!

• Cliff
      November 30, 2011, 3:04 pm

Let me get this straight, dimwit:

You are calling people Israel-bashers and haters after this pregnant woman is harassed by Israelis at the Israeli airport and after the Israeli government apologizes?

WHICH shows that those Israelis were indeed laughing and mocking her in Hebrew. BTW, how do you know they spoke to her in Hebrew? How do you know she does or does not speak Hebrew?

Duh. If they weren’t then the government wouldn’t have issued an apology.

And why didn’t you mention the miscarriage of the French consul’s wife? She lost her baby because of reckless Israeli bombardment. Palestinian civilians and children get murdered by your country and army all the time but you aren’t calling Israel, ‘Palestinian hating’ or ‘Palestinian bashing’.

Your rockets on S’Derot don’t compare. Fair-minded people know it’s wrong but they aren’t going to dwell on those rockets when within this conflict there is no parity between the occupier *you* and the occupied.

Since you are making some kind of parallel of suffering (between pregnant reporter and the Fogel family and S’Derot) – clearly, you advocate that people don’t care about essentially ALL of Israeli suffering since Israeli suffering is, relatively speaking, as important (once again, according to your idiotic and insensitive – Zionist-minded – analogy) and as frequent as Palestinian suffering.

Are you seriously that deluded?

November 30, 2011, 3:07 pm

“Get over it-people are dying all over…”

Hey dimadok, have you heard my latest Holacaust jokes? Got some great ones for ya! Mengele jokes, lampshade jokes, soap jokes, I got ‘em all! You have any relatives killed or tortured in the Holacaust? Cause I’ll be happy to use their names and stories as the basis for a quip or humorous anecdote.
      Oh, get over it, Dimadok- people are dying all over. You gotta stop milking the Holacaust, and just treat like the overblown pratical joke it was. C’mon now, lighten up!

November 30, 2011, 3:16 pm

And besides, dimadok, many, many of those Jews in the concentration camp did not speak German. How were they supposed to know what the guards and camp staff were up to? Maybe they were just trying to do the Jews a good turn, and let them have a wash-up before dinner, and all the Zyklon-B got in the shower-heads by accident? And hey, they would have eaten a lot better in the camps if those clumsy Jews didn’t keep falling into the ovens.

November 30, 2011, 3:21 pm

Hey, whatsamatter, Dimadok? I can’t hear you laughing. Oh, for God’s sake, stop with the kvetching already! Every single goddam one of those six million Jews was gonna die anyway, right? And lot’s of them were old already.
        Hey, dimadok where’s your oh-so-sophisticated Israeli/Zionist sense of humor?

• seafoid
      November 30, 2011, 4:34 pm

JEWISH WORLD / The Jewish people is becoming its own enemy
      By Avrum Rosenseweig 2008

link to haaretz.com

Leading up to the evacuation of “The House of Contention,” countless masked Jews have been involved openly and smugly in acts of utter cruelty. In one situation, Jews set fire in and around a Palestinian home comprising 20 people, many of them children. Security guards form the nearby settlement Kiryat Arba sealed off the entrance to the Palestinian home, preventing assistance. The crazed un-Jewish behavior continued.
      Men – their faces covered as well – hurled rocks down onto the family dwelling while children cried bitterly inside, fearing for their death.

The back of the house was on fire. Groups of Jews stood by and watched, according to reports, ?suggesting to the stone throwers ways of effectively harming the family.? I am nauseous just knowing this.

My God, we now have brutes within our nation with the ability – and worse, the desire – to terrorize children, remembering full well the fear in our family?s eyes as they watched thugs breaking down our Jewish doors. I am ashamed and disappointed. My liberal views about the West Bank and its association to Israel have nothing to do with this article. Nothing! I must only ask: At what point did Israeli activists turn into vicious thugs blinded by hate?

When was that moment when so many Jews decided it was okay to desecrate Muslim tombstone (like they did to us), to torch fields, to terrorize mothers and children with fire arms, to scribble the Magen David on their mosques? We were not a violent people. We never danced and sang while our foes suffered. When did we become our enemy?

and another

link to haaretz.com

Forty-three seconds: that’s the duration of a video clip uploaded to YouTube less than a year ago under the category of “Comedy.” For the “hero” of the clip, an unidentified young Arab, they were probably eternally long seconds and far from amusing. He was forced to slap himself and sing to the jubilant shouts of the photographer and his buddies – all of them members of Israel’s Border Police.
      This clip, which has been viewed more than 2,800 times, shows the unknown Palestinian standing in a desert setting while a disembodied voice orders him in Hebrew to hit himself: “Yallah, start, do it hard!” The viewers hear the chuckles of the other policemen and a clear voice telling the Arab: “Say ‘Ana behibak Mishmar Hagvul’ [“I love the Border Police? in a mix of Arabic and Hebrew]. Say it!”

They see him obey in a subdued voice and with a frightened look, even as he goes on slapping himself. They hear the “director” laughing and the faceless voice shouting: “Again! Ana behibak Mishmar Hagvul.” After a little more than 30 seconds, the voice says, “Say ‘Wahad hummus wahad ful’” – and the Arab man obeys and then is told to complete the rhyme: “Ana behibak Mishmar Hagvul.” After 40 seconds, the abusers appear to have had enough and the voice impatiently orders the victim: “Yallah, rukh, rukh, rukh” (“go”). The camera turns and for a fraction of a second a Border Police Jeep is visible. A few dozen viewers sent comments. “Hahahaha, it was great the way he excruciated himself.” Another added: “That’s how it should be!!!!! Stinking Arab.” And a third pointed out, “He should have been shot!! Sons of bitches.” A few viewers took pity on the victim, though with reservations. One person remarked, “Mercy on the guy, even if he’s an Arab. What’s it in aid of? He didn?’t do anything

• Walid
        December 1, 2011, 9:13 am

“… We were not a violent people. We never danced and sang while our foes suffered. “(Avrum Rosenzweig)

An illusion, Avrum, it wasn’t the Mideast air that did it to you. It’s been there all the time but you never saw it.

• MHughes976
        December 1, 2011, 10:27 am

There in all of us, I think, of all religions and races. People are created equal in more ways than they like to think.

• RoHa
      November 30, 2011, 6:09 pm

“Does she speak Hebrew to know that she was laughed upon?”

Laughter of Hebrew speakers sounds completely different from the laughter of everyone else?

20. dimadok
    November 30, 2011, 3:49 pm

I call Israel “Palestinian-fighting ” and “Palestinian-struggling” country. That’s true in my opinion. How about miscarriages in Sderot?
    That reporter got the press she wanted and Israel apologizes, good news story without any content regarding the actual situation in Israel and Palestine.

• irena
      December 1, 2011, 2:01 am

Oh thank you dimadok, where would the Palestinians be without your low-class acknowledgement? Maybe they would continue to face oppression, harassment, racism and ethnic cleansing…oh wait
      I feel bad for the women who suffered miscarriages in Sderot and I blame Israel for it because it ASKS for it by continuously attacking the occupied territories and just increasing the scale of the attack when counter-attacked. On the other hand, all you can do (like Moose said) is kvetch about the consequences of Israeli actions on the Israeli civilians. Go on with it, your bigotry, bias and lies will only help the world see through the scum of the Israeli propaganda

• Chaos4700
      December 1, 2011, 10:10 am

So now Palestine is to blame for Israeli infertility? What next, are you going to blame “those Arabs” for the weather?

• pjdude
      December 1, 2011, 6:29 pm

what miscarriages. they are occupying land for their military. they should even be there according to the geneva conventions.

• dimadok
        December 2, 2011, 3:28 pm

Sderot is the town WITHIN the armistice line, recognized by ALL parties.
        Just for your knowledge.

21. ruthieofamerica
    December 1, 2011, 7:08 am

This is a disturbing story. Since the piece above is a commentary on the story I looked up the original to get more facts.

Lynsey Addario, a photojournalist for the NYT, entered Israel from Gaza. She was pregnant and her doctor told her to ask to avoid the X-ray machine and get a hand inspection. Israel’s Defense Ministry says her request to by-pass the X-ray machine wasn’t properly relayed. So Israel made a mistake on that one. But why did she agree to go through the machine? three times? Why didn’t she ask to wait and straighten out the misunderstanding?

The next problem is the stripping and feeling. The summary of the incident above makes it sound as if that was being done in public by male guards. But she was taken to a private room and asked to remove her pants and shirt by a female guard. She wanted a inspection by hand originally and I guess this was it.

The remaining outrage is the guards who were above and laughing or “smiling triumphantly” depending on the story. (I am linking the three describing the incident from her Wikipedia bio.)

Israel’s Defense Ministry apologized to Ms. Addario and to Time Magazine.

Israel does prioritize fertility and prenatal care in Israel; but not just for the Jewish Israelis. The Christian and Muslim Israelis get the same good care and West Bank Palestinians also use hospitals in Israel for fertility treatments, to save sick babies and perform difficult deliveries. Even people from Gaza get into Israel for fertility treatments and infant care at the same hospitals used by Israelis.

I know there are some people who are willing to believe that Israeli border guards are the worst, most cruel border guards in the entire world. Yet Israeli border guards have saved the life of an at-risk birth by a West Bank Palestinian woman who was rushed to the checkpoint by religious settler EMTs.

Only months before the Israeli border incident, Lynsey Addario was kidnapped by Qaddafi forces in Libya and held for six days. They tied her feet with her own shoelaces, punched her in the face and laughed, her breasts were grabbed, she was felt over her whole body, and threatened with death. That is actual brutality.

There is nothing in the Addario incident which suggests Israeli border guards are “monsters” or “inhuman”. Lynsey Addario was told to go through the machine even though she said she was pregnant. It was a mistake by the Israeli guard to say it, and by Ms. Addario to do it. She did get the inspection she requested by hand in private. And some Israeli soldiers either laughed or smiled.

It’s possible to blame the IDF for bad judgement in the airport without concluding that ALL Israeli guards have lost their humanity.

link to jpost.com
    link to boston.com

link to nytimes.com
    link to cpj.org

• Walid
      December 1, 2011, 9:21 am

Thank you Ruthie for explaining that boys will be boys and that Addario went through the machine 3 times because either she had a death wish for her baby or was looking to demonstrate that the border guards are monsters. Thank you for explaining that while the boys laughed, at least they didn’t grab at her boobs or punch her in the face as the Libyans did to her. You’re really precious, Ruthie.

• Chaos4700
      December 1, 2011, 10:07 am

Zionists: Blame the victim. Always. You do realize you’re being extraordinarily revelatory, comparing the reporter’s treatment to what she got from Qaddafi’s forces. “But Qaddafi’s men stripped her naked and the IDF…. oh. But Qaddfi’s men frisked her and the IDF… oh.”

• eljay
        December 1, 2011, 10:25 am

Because she complied with orders issue by Israeli border guards, Ms. Addario was underwent THREE x-ray scans AND an unnecessary strip-search. Makes one wonder what would have happened to her if he had failed to comply.

• dumvitaestspesest
      December 1, 2011, 10:55 am

It was a mistake by the Israeli guard to say it, and by Ms. Addario to do it”
      So …you are trying to tell us, that when you are powerless, pregnant ,and you have a bunch of psychopathic guys with machine guns ordering you around, you are in a position to “debate, to discuss, to argue with them” ???

• American
      December 1, 2011, 11:55 am

It’s possible to blame the IDF for bad judgement in the airport”..ruthie

Please, it’s not like this is a first time incident. It has occurred multiple times.
      It’s not ‘bad judgement’…it’s the ‘mentality of zionism’ and the leadership in Israel.

22. MRW
    December 1, 2011, 10:09 am

Calling Mooser, Cliff, and Avi,

I have to go to bed, so no time, but one of you has to take on ruthieofamerica’s latest. . . .

Probably Annie.

• ruthieofamerica
      December 1, 2011, 1:30 pm

I look forward to reading Annie’s comments.

A Canadian woman is suing two female US border guards for $500,000. She claims she was unnecessarily searched and in a sexual manner. The considers the two officers to be “deviant”. This is her complaint which has not yet been proven in court. Does this mean the USA has become brutalized?

link to youtube.com

link to news.aol.ca

In Vancouver a border guard was accused of sexually assaulting three women by claiming he had to search them for drugs and taking them to an out-of-the-way place or a public restroom to grope them. This man sounds guilty to me; there is information from his trial. Whether or not he is found innocent or guilty, do his actions make Canadian border guards “utterly cruel”?

link to vancouversun.com

Jordanian border guards shot two people dead for trying to enter Jordan illegally. No questions asked.

link to defence.pk

I’d like to add that dehumanizing the Israelis is also a technique. Lynsey Addario is no wilting flower. She is a professional photojournalist who survived a car crash a few years ago in Islamabad. After the Libyan kidnapping several months ago, she entered Israel via Gaza. There are frequent attempts by people crossing the Gaza/Israeli border to attack Israeli guards by terrorist sympathizers.

It sounds to me from the claims presented that the guards should not have made her go through the machine even once. But asking her to remove her pants and shirt in a private room for a female? It’s an extreme overreaction to conclude Israelis are exceptionally cruel from the account Addario presents.

• Chaos4700
        December 1, 2011, 1:44 pm

If you flew to Germany or Poland and were treated like this, you’d scream holy hell about anti-Semitism.

You’re a hypocrite.

• Woody Tanaka
        December 1, 2011, 2:00 pm

If it happened as often as Israeli border guards act like inhuman beasts, then yes.

If it happened as often as Israeli border guards act like inhuman beasts, then yes, it would.

I’d like to add that dehumanizing the Israelis is also a technique.

And it would not have any effect if the Israelis didn’t act like inhuman beasts all the time. So tell them to knock it off.

Lynsey Addario is no wilting flower.

So it’s her fault she was assaulted? Let me guess, she was wearing sexy clothes.

But asking her to remove her pants and shirt in a private room for a female?

There is absolutely no justification for a strip search in this situation. None. It is absolutely appalling that anyone could support this degradation, but I expect nothing less from you.

• dumvitaestspesest
        December 1, 2011, 2:06 pm

You seriously DO NOT SEE anything wrong with forcing a pregnant female to go 3 times through the X-ray machine, knowing that this was not necessary at all ( laughs of the soldiers).
        And on top of it, AFTER THAT, forcing her to strip herself ,because some idiots had a caprice to order her to do so??
        It is called humiliation, degrading a human being.
        It has NOTHING to do with security.
        It is about exercising raw POWER, and cruelty to another human being.

• Woody Tanaka
        December 1, 2011, 2:28 pm

dumvitaestspesest,

It doesn’t matter to Ruthie. If Israel did it, it is okay, no matter what. That’s how that kind of person “thinks.”

• MRW
        December 1, 2011, 3:11 pm

You’ve got your thinking exactly backwards, ruthieinamerica.

You offer airport stories about ordinary people from around the world to make your point that Israel was having a bad hair day when Addario was going through security, but that’s not the issue.

Addario is a 15-year professional photojournalist who, like Chris Hedges, has seen more war, and been in and out of airport security checkpoints than either you or I in our lifetimes.

Addario (especially as a NYT reporter) knows her way around airport restrictions and cargo areas like a pro…every photojournalist has had this onus on them particularly since 911. You don’t travel with multiple $5,000, $10,00o, and $20,000 zooms in padded cases and leave them to the average baggage handler to lose. Ditto the rest of your gear.

What you call a pain in the ass at the airport, she would most likely call normal.

So for this hardened professional photographer and world traveler to register a complaint as she did, the experience was out of the ordinary.

• Walid
        December 1, 2011, 3:14 pm

“Egyptian border guards shoot and kill South Sudanese refugees who are desperately trying to get to freedom in Israel. These people are in the act of getting out of Egypt. The shootings have Human Rights watch concerned.” (Ruthie)

Wrong example used, Ruthie, this kind of shooting is almost a weekly occurence but it’s happening because Israel holds Egypt accountable for any infiltration of its border from Egypt. Egypt is willing to accomodate Israel by killing these desperate non-Egyptian Africans trying to sneak into Israel. Israel has the same absurd expectation from its other neighbours to protect Israel’s borders for it. The only country that refuses to assume this stupid accountability being imposed on it by Israel is Lebanon that tells it to protect its own borders itself, like every other country does. Last I heard was that the US was trying to pull the same monkey business on Canada after 911 and the LA or Seattle bomber crossings from Canada to the US but I don’t know if Canada went along with it or not.

• Chaos4700
        December 1, 2011, 3:43 pm

Never mind how non-Jewish illegal immigrants are treated in Israel.

23. piotr
    December 1, 2011, 3:02 pm

ruthieofamerica:

I agree that naming every Israeli misbehavior an “atrocity” is an inflation of the term.

However, the reality is nothing to brag about. Israeli authorities, with enthusiastic support of the citizenry and friends from abroad (as attested in comment sections of ynet.com, jp.com and even here) have a world record in “low grade shit”. Totally pointless hostile shit. Typically minor, mind you, but incredibly persistent.

Very often, but not always, this is done under the color of “security”. But to an unprejudiced observer it is clear that in almost all “security” related incidents the principle is “give devil a finger and he will take the hold hand”, and it is Israeli authorities that play the role of the devil, I am sorry to say.

In the incident that we discuss, clearly there was no reason to apply both body search and X-rays, or to apply X-ray screening more than once. For that matter, there is a specific procedure that allows concerned people like pregnant women to avoid X-rays. With all that, were it an isolated incident, like the case of Vancouver security personnel, the generalizations like “Zionist mentality” would be out of place. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I would also observe that it is really impossible to justify the procedures applied to Linsey Addario on security grounds because she was neither entering an airplane nor a meeting with an important person. A combination of metal detectors, swabs testing for explosives, a sniffing dog and normal patting (and some sane inspection of the luggage) should really reveal all the risks.

December 1, 2011, 6:26 pm

And Ruthie pulls the old all-the-problems-in-the-world-must-be-solved-before-anybody-can-criticise-Israel wheeze.
      Jeez, Ruthie, I just articulated that technique (you know, the “but, what about…” technique) the other day, and here you are to give us an example.
      Now, that’s what I call “Jews sticking together”!