Introducing Freedom Funnies – ‘My Name is Samia Halaby’

ActivismIsrael/Palestine

This is the first in a monthly series of comics Ethan Heitner will be producing for Mondoweiss. Heitner is freelance illustrator and cartoonist who also volunteers with Adalah-NY: The New York Campaign for the Boycott of Israel. More of his work can be seen on his website, www.freedomfunnies.com and in the magazine World War 3 Illustrated. He can be contacted at [email protected] and he’s available for hire!

(Click on the first image below to view it larger, and then click in the upper right hand corner to scroll to the next page.)

Samia Halaby 1
Samia Halaby 2
Samia Halaby 3
About Ethan Heitner

1. J. Otto Pohl
    December 26, 2011, 12:34 pm

This is fantastic. She is absolutely right. You can not have an art show with people who shoot children. Israel gets a free pass in the US not because its policies are any different from the old South Africa, but because of the identities of the oppressors and the oppressed.

• pabelmont
      December 26, 2011, 1:41 pm

Israel gets a free pass in the US, also, because of the widely-asserted (but largely false) “identity of outlooks between Israel and the USA”. Goebbels would have loved THAT big lie.

2. Annie Robbins
    December 26, 2011, 1:35 pm

Fantastic. i’d never heard of Samia Halaby til today. and i love this comic. excited about the new series by Ethan Heitner, love it.

3. ToivoS
    December 26, 2011, 6:57 pm

Oh my this is seriously subversive. Consider: “The goal in my heart is a secular Palestinian state, led by the working class”. Sentiments shared by Buber and Einstein from about 70 years back.

• patm
      December 29, 2011, 8:49 am

Oh my this is seriously subversive..

Communist too.

• Dan Crowther
        December 29, 2011, 9:08 am

Commies? Where?!?! Lets Get Em!!

Oh wait, crowther, your a socialist….. sorry, force of habit. I am an american after all….

Awesome comic, and no you can’t have an art show with child killers….

4. farid bitar
    December 27, 2011, 9:49 am

This is truly amazing for the fact that it gives art a face and a voice,,, I have personally known Samiah Halaby, she is such a giver and speaks the truth, her art is beyond words, I once sow her art at Made in Palestine Gallery near 11th Ave,,,art is resistance, I am an artist and I burn things on wood when I write my poems about Palestine. I think Samiah should be honored for her long life struggle and art work.

5. Ladidah
    December 27, 2011, 6:19 pm

If you haven’t seen Samia’s work before, I can’t encourage you more to check out her art and her political work. Samia was a co-founder of al-Awda NY and the NY Committee to Defend Palestine, and has done an incredible amount to encourage and support Arab and Palestinian artists, writers, and actors in NYC and elsewhere.

Some of Samia’s pieces are here:
    link to art.net

Another piece about her and her work:
    link to newjerseysolidarity.org

Samia is one of the people and voices we should be bringing to our universities and public events for both artistic and political analysis, an incredibly relevant Palestinian voice (who has also always strenuously supported grassroots organizing) who should be highlighted.

6. john h
    December 28, 2011, 3:55 am

Love this, something to really look forward to each month.

And so to the point:

Can art transcend politics? There is no such thing as transcending politics. All art is political.

To stand by and do nothing is to empower the oppressor. To participate with them is to share their oppression.