Palestinians in the West Bank demonstrating in today's general strike. (Photo: Alaa Badarneh/EPA)
Israeli officials today offered hunger striker Khader Adnan a deal for his release. Adnan was in his 66th day of protest against an administrative detention order. An Israeli authority confirmed to Reuters:
'There is a deal. [Khader Adnan] will stop his hunger strike. They will not extend his administrative detention and he will be free on April 17.’
Physicians for Human Rights announced the hunger strike ended today, but it was unclear if Adnan had accepted the terms. Shawan Jabarin, Director-General of Al Haq, also said he has received reports from doctors treating Adnan and confirmed at 7 pm Jerusalem time that Adnan ended the hunger strike. Though Jabarin said that no statement was made on the Israeli offer.
Shackled to a bed in an Israeli hospital by both legs and one arm, Adnan is still at grave risk. The proposed deal guarantees Adnan’s release on April 17, and The Alternative Information Center explains:
Khader previously stated to Addameer lawyers that though he was calling for his immediate and unconditional release, the minimum requirements he would consider for ending his hunger strike would be the guarantee that he would not receive a new administrative detention order and that his duration of detention would be considered from the date of his arrest on 17 December 2011 and not from the date that he received his administrative detention order on 8 January 2012. The provisions of the deal reached today as announced by the lawyer involved do meet these minimum requirements. However, if new 'secret material,' upon which administrative detention is based, presents itself during the next two months, there would still be grounds for the renewal of his administrative detention order. This caveat is consistent with similar deals made in the past, in which Israeli officials leave the door open for re-arrests. [Emphasis Added]
A spokesperson for Benjamin Netanyahu also commented on the deal with Adnan, indicating that Israeli authorities would reserve the possibility of extending the administrative detention. Ofir Gendelman said on Monday "if there's no new evidence against him, he will be released from custody on April 17," adding that Adnan is also a "dangerous terrorist."
Adnan has lost one-third of his body weight. A baker, graduate student and father of two, he is still at risk of cardiac arrest and the shutting down of his vascular system. Doctors from Physicians for Human Rights who have monitored Adnan said that despite his medical condition, the political prisoner remains lucid.
Despite the fragility of the prisoner's health and uncertainty if Adnan's detention will be extended on new evidence, Adnan’s wife Randa is calling the Israeli deal a "victory." Additionally, demonstrations and a general strike in the West Bank and Gaza Strip against the administrative detension order took place today, as planned, after the announcement.