New Republic says ‘all of western civilization’ could be threatened by Iran

US Politics

When will American media wake up to the fact that Israel and her supporters are crazed on the subject of Iran? Marty Peretz at the New Republic: “All of Western Civilization Could Soon Be Threatened By a Nuclear Iran…” with the usual sober arguments:

The Germans waited until January 1942 to detail at the Wannsee Conference their plans for the “final solution to the Jewish problem,” which was actually already in full swing.

1. seafoid
    February 27, 2012, 10:19 am

Western civilisation yada yada. What is civilised about drones and torture and Jewish settlers , Israeli white phosphorous and burning Qur’ans ? The US is let down by the stupidity of its leaders and the ignorance of its soldiers.

Iran has a glorious culture. What has Israel produced to match Rumi ?

• Anar Green
      February 27, 2012, 10:51 am

Jewish people have created aplenty for humanity.
      Screw Western Civilization, though! ;-) (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)

At the moment, my concern is primarily with the media. How is the push triggered, and how it percolates throughout the various companies? Media concentration is key, of course, but where/who start the fire (that then spreads through an interdependent media empire).

• Dan Crowther
        February 27, 2012, 12:01 pm

He said “israel” not “jewish people” —

• dahoit
      February 27, 2012, 11:04 am

Gandhi said it best;What western civilization?(What do you think of western civilization?;I hope so.)

• seafoid
        February 27, 2012, 11:50 am

I have heard at least 2 Israeli leaders refer to “the free world” as a justification for an insane assault on another Muslim country. I thought I was back in the 1980s .

• Dan Crowther
        February 27, 2012, 12:00 pm

I think it was “what do you think of western civilzation? he answered, “might be a good idea”

2. seafoid
    February 27, 2012, 10:37 am

link to telegraph.co.uk

According to transcripts released by the State Department, Kissinger, who was Haig’s deputy, said to Garment: “Is there a more self-serving group of people than the Jewish community?” Kissinger is Jewish.
    Garment, also Jewish, replied: “None in the world.”
    At this point, Kissinger was quoted as saying “What the hell do they think they are accomplishing?”
    Kissinger went on: “You can’t even tell bastards anything in confidence because they’ll leak it.”

3. Justice Please
    February 27, 2012, 11:14 am

Marty Peretz should be jailed for advocating an offensive, unjustified war. Citizen arrest, anyone?

4. rensanceman
    February 27, 2012, 11:19 am

Perez implies that Israel is lathe to send Americans to fight Israel’s wars?! He states it is because if this reluctance, Israel afraid to turnover the entire West bank for fear that a war will break out requiring U.S. help?! This is absurd and disingenuous Zionist logic and hasbara rolled into one.

• LeaNder
      February 27, 2012, 12:07 pm

rensance, I found it psychologically interesting that he conneccts the two subjects: Iran and the West Bank. This is a highly hysterical essay, absolutely amazing. I hope you noticed it is not 1938, as we are accustomed to by now, but 1942. Facts of course don’t matter in this context, like the Holocaust started before that date. But it sure is a convenient tool to force people into line, marching orders?

5. pabelmont
    February 27, 2012, 11:22 am

The overturning of the Supreme Court’s exemption of personal spending for political action (to say nothing of its exemption of similar corporate spending) is the central democracy-problem of our time. The power of AIPAC is part of that. Hard to see a reduction of the power of the settlers-tail to wag Israel, AIPAC, USA, UE, UNSC unless and until political spending by corporations adn also by rich individuals comes under significant restriction.

Until then, it’s “zealots” all the way. Global warming will not be addressed, fracking will become legal, tar sands will be “exploited” for expensive oil production, banks will play games with derivatives (being assured they are too big to jail), wars fought for the benefit of corporations (and for the benefit of millionaires who own them, including legislators) will continue — and the USA/UN/EU will continue to ignore Israel’s lawlessness.

6. seafoid
    February 27, 2012, 11:41 am

“All of Western Civilization Could Soon Be Threatened By a Nuclear Iran…”

This schtick is Aarne-Thompson-Uther type 20C, which includes other not necessarily Israeli or Zionist fairytales that address paranoia and mass hysteria.

link to en.wikipedia.org

7. lysias
    February 27, 2012, 11:44 am

The Nazis’ propaganda claimed that they were defending Western civilization against the Bolshevik hordes.

8. Annie Robbins
    February 27, 2012, 12:21 pm

peretz’s theme in that blockquote was recently recited by santorum.

link to huffingtonpost.com

“Remember, the greatest generation for a year and a half sat on the sidelines while Europe was under darkness,” Santorum said on Sunday at a megachurch in Georgia. “We’re a hopeful people. We think, ‘Well, you know, it’ll get better. Yeah, he’s a nice guy. I mean, it won’t be near as bad as what we think. This will be okay. I mean, yeah, maybe he’s not the best guy after a while, after a while you find out some things about this guy over in Europe who’s not so good of a guy after all…'”

Santorum defended his comments Monday when asked whether he was comparing the president to Hitler.

yawn. the neocons like repeating certain things over and over. whoever santorum’s speechwriters are…currying favors to the lobby.

9. HRK
    February 27, 2012, 1:01 pm

I don’t think a nuclear Iran would be a good thing. We can’t predict the future; it’s possible stopping Iran from attaining nuclear weapons would be better than doing nothing. I believe our argument shouldn’t be that we know everything will be okay and that we don’t at all have to be concerned about Iran. Instead, we should argue that Iraq was a disaster and that we need to resist jumping into another preemptive strike. In short, we need to be careful about getting into war. Also, we need to insist that Israel start behaving in a way so that it itself minimizes (as opposed to maximizing) conflict with its neighbors. Rolling back the settlements would be a good place to start.

10. HRK
    February 27, 2012, 1:19 pm

To clarify my thoughts on the matter: If we don’t know what to do about Iran obtaining nuclear weapons, then the default position is to not go to war.

11. upsidedownism
    February 27, 2012, 3:33 pm

Who lost sleep last night over the nuclear weapons in countries like Pakistan and North Korea? Those are far more unstable countries than Iran. A nuclear Iran is inevitable. How can Israel, a nuclear armed country with only 7 million people, tell Iran, whose population is 70 million, that it can not have nuclear power or nuclear weapons. Israel further seeks to dictate the nuclear policies of surrounding states with hundreds of millions of people.

The world will be fine with a nuclear Iran. Iran will be safer from attack.

The USA had an internal debate when China was on the verge of acquiring nuclear weapons. American generals argued for a strike on China “before it was too late.” I imagine most people using this forum were born after China went nuclear.

Israel is using the Iran nuclear issue to cover the acceleration of its ethnic cleansing of Palestine. Bibi and other Israeli politicians have been crying wolf for years.

12. yourstruly
    February 27, 2012, 9:28 pm

Empire USA is the big threat. And not just to western civilization, to all living beings.

13. RoHa
    February 28, 2012, 8:55 pm

Iran can threaten Western Civilization?

Well so can I, or so can any man*.

But without that army of giant zombie robot vampire crabs, I cannot follow through on my threats.

(*And that includes Hotspur and Glendower.)

14. piotr
    February 29, 2012, 12:20 pm

RoHa,

I do not know about you, but rock-and-roll was definitely a threat from within that was more damaging then any threats from outside. Did you ever had an electric guitar? Did you provide material support?

• RoHa
      February 29, 2012, 6:40 pm

I do not now own, and never have owned, an electric guitar.

But what counts as material support?

I confess that in my youth I did betray all that is good and noble about Western Civilization by listening to rock and/or roll music.
      I confess that I made myself an instrument of Satan by actually dancing to such music.
      I confess that I fostered the International Godless Communist Conspiracy by purchasing a few 45 rpm records of such music.

If this counts as material support, then I am very guilty indeed. Take me away to the re-education camps in the North.