Video: Israeli mob demands all African refugees be deported from the country (and anyone who disagrees deserves to be raped)

From the YouTube page:

At a demonstration in south Tel Aviv demanding the immediately expulsion of all non-Jewish African asylum-seekers, a lone Israeli woman who does not agree with the rest of the crowd is shouted down with ferocity and told that she deserves to be raped

For more on this demonstration see 972 here and here and follow David Sheen’s twitter feed.

UPDATE: Haggai Matar has a post up at 972 about how a similar mob attacked him and a Haaretz journalist in south Tel Aviv. The ongoing protest and attacks on the African refugee community is being called the Tel Aviv Pogrom. From “How I survived a Tel Aviv mob attack”:

The central demonstration was organized mostly by Likud activists, which was somewhat strange to begin with, as the protest was officially aimed at the Likud led government. It started out quite peacefully, and a group of us journalists and photographers was standing on the side, somewhat bored and discussing plans for the weekend. On the stage, local residents told stories of attacks they experienced by African asylum seekers, while MKs from the Likud and parties further to the right were placing the blame for all the neighborhoods’ hardships on the asylum seekers and “the left.” The crowd was growing uneasy, but none of us thought that this would turn into anything big.

It all started with one woman who came at me out of nowhere, and started screaming: “You throw stones at soldiers! Shame on you! Get the hell out of here!” I tried to say that I have never thrown stones at anybody in my life, but she was not exactly in the mood for dialogue. “You lie! I see you every week on television throwing stones at soldiers and calling them Nazis!”

From this point on everything happened extremely fast. The one woman turned into two, then a group of ten people, which kept on growing. I tried to explain that this was a misunderstanding, that I never attacked any soldier, that I am a resident of Shapira and a journalist covering the protest. But I was talking to myself. Nobody was listening.

Only four seconds or so must have passed before similar charges were leveled at my colleague, Ilan Lior of Ha’aretz, who was standing next to me. “You too throw stones at soldiers! I drive a bus and every week I see you attacking checkpoints!” someone yelled. A hand from the crowd grabbed Ilan’s notepad and threw it in the air. Ilan was trying to say that he was never in the occupied territories and that it’s all a misunderstanding, but he too was talking to himself. Nobody was listening.

At this point, about six Border Police officers showed up and tried to stand between the growing mob and the two of us. I hoped this would help, but soon enough an older woman broke through and leaped towards me, beating my chest, back and hands. I started retreating, knowing that I wouldn’t stand a fighting chance against the masses if I tried to stop her. I lost sight of Ilan. He was sucked into the crowd. I had an open road behind me, I could escape. I feared for Ilan. I feared for myself.

I knew no one would come to my aid. Faced with the angry mob and seeing more people coming from behind me and looking for action – I chose flight. A speaker on the central stage was saying how Daphni Leef and her J14 friends were actually the cause of all “our” problems. I was standing near a police car, wondering how I would get my bike back from the demonstration area, when I heard the loudspeakers announcing that “Haggai Matar is here, and he and his mother are traitors who should be kicked out of the country.” This was really time to split and go home.

Read the whole piece here.

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. Blake
    May 23, 2012, 6:38 pm

Scary. Awaiting Fredblogs to justify that. Lol. Swearing in front of kids and women laughing at the men saying such repulsive things. Heaven help the Palestinians.

2. Bumblebye
    May 23, 2012, 6:58 pm

Tel Aviv, huh?
    Next time someone touts the tolerance of Tel Aviv, anywhere, this video should be linked.

3. Annie Robbins
    May 23, 2012, 8:38 pm

yossi gurvitz wrote about this the other day in hebrew. this is the google translated version

link to translate.google.com

some amazing photos at the link

4. sciri21
    May 23, 2012, 8:39 pm

Disgusting. I don’t know why the woman bothers to argue with these whackjobs.

5. Annie Robbins
    May 23, 2012, 8:41 pm

here’s more

6. RoHa
    May 23, 2012, 9:42 pm

So the great liberation of Jews from living under Gentile dominance, and the revival of Jewish values, Jewish culture, etc. etc., comes to this.

7. Today in Palestine
    May 23, 2012, 9:52 pm

Nothing delegitimizes Israel as much as Israelis do.

8. George Smith
    May 23, 2012, 10:08 pm

The woman is a righteous Jew (even if she’s not Jewish). How many of us would stand up for decency the way she did???

9. dimadok
    May 23, 2012, 11:09 pm

As always eager to judge and jump the righteousness gun here. Oh my, those horrible, horrible Jews!!! How dare are they!
    Except that all those who protect mostly economical migrants from Africa forget to care about the poores citizen of their own state, being Israel. If the things are so bad and gruesome – why there is a minister from South Sudan asking Israel to keep them for couple years more?
    You are always happy to beat the old drum of “horrible” Israel- it begins to sound like it is a worst place to be. Except it is not- and that is why there are more than 50 thousand migrants living in Israel now.
    Keep your pity and horror for other things- let us deal with our problems.

• Blake
      May 23, 2012, 11:46 pm

Zionists, not Jews. True Torah Jews consider “Israel” blasphemy and for crying out loud there are young kids there listening to the most vulgar expletives about being buggered and so on. That is not a normal society by any stretch. It beggars belief how you are raised.

• tokyobk
      May 23, 2012, 11:57 pm

dimadok,

This is one area where I don’t mind Jews being held to an unfairly higher standard. This kind of behavior is a violation of everything we claim to hold dear about ourselves and both our religious tradition and history on planet earth. This video evokes pity and horror.

When you see some nutter on MEMRI you are probably convinced he or she is a nutter regardless of the agenda of that group. I feel the same way about this and the Max Blumenthal videos. The source and the audience don’t change the contents if adequately translated. Naturally people here will froth at anything that makes Israel look especially bad. This video does.

These protesters are disgusting at every level and an embarrassment.

• Annie Robbins
        May 24, 2012, 1:02 am

good call bk. tho just for the record, i ain’t frothing. we’ve all seen too much for that.

• Shmuel
        May 24, 2012, 6:17 am

What higher standard? The same standard works for me. The same standard applied to neo-Nazi and anti-immigrant groups in Europe. Just translate dimadok or giladg into Italian, German or French and see how they sound.

May 24, 2012, 7:03 am

The video is about human fears and behavior. Do you support illegal immigration ? Why should they- just because of being Jewish? Would you like to give up your neighborhood for illegal immigrants to live in? Or maybe from the height of elitist club in Yale these thing look small and not as important , than keeping the standart of Jewish morality flying high. The curse and the blessing of Jews is that they tend to forfeight “common” problems in pursue of higher and more nobel goals- say Tikun Olam, Revolution, Zionism or whatever. Keeping the healthy balance is critical here- that’s why there is no place for righteousness and false “horror” as presented in this article and comment section.

• Woody Tanaka
        May 24, 2012, 7:47 am

“higher and more nobel goals- say …Zionism”

LMAO. No one who calls judeo-facism (aka zionism) a “higher” and more “nobel” [sic] goal is sane.

• tokyobk
        May 24, 2012, 8:12 am

va’yikra 19:33
        devarim 10:19
        etc… and more importantly how this has shaped secular Jewish consciousness and our understanding of our experience in europe and the “east.”

These scummy racists are indeed horrible – listen to them.

Do you hear them making a sober case against illegal immigration? I hear them projecting scummy racist fantasies onto a woman brave enough to call them out.

• Theo
        May 24, 2012, 8:40 am

dimadok

“Do you support illegal immigration? Would you give up your neighborhood for illegal immigrants?”

What a sham!!! The whole Israel was built by illegal immigrants and they stole the neighborhoods from the palestinians!!
        I correct that, they robbed by bloody force the palestinians of their land, property, nation, pride and future!!

Jews are in great majority in the intellectual section in the west, however those in the video are worse than vicious dogs.
        I would like to shake the hand of that brave woman who stood up for the weak. Did those israelis forgot what it means to be despised and spat uppon? I feel you are on the right way to be despised again.

• Talkback
        May 24, 2012, 8:45 am

dimadok: “Do you support illegal immigration ? … Would you like to give up your neighborhood for illegal immigrants to live in?”

Finally you have become an Antizionist. :)

• Hostage
        May 24, 2012, 8:53 am

Do you support illegal immigration ? . . . Would you like to give up your neighborhood for illegal immigrants to live in? . . .“all those who protect mostly economical migrants from Africa forget to care about the poores citizen of their own state, being Israel.”

Abraham and Sarah were nothing more than economic migrants when they went down to Egypt to escape a famine. So were Jacob and his sons. They were provided with a place to live in the Land of Goshen. One of the core ethical values that is supposed to give Israel its “Jewish character” is the admonishment not to mistreat a stranger, or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.

People who send relief missions to Haiti, shouldn’t build concentration camps for their neighbors or forget to render them some aid and assistance when needed.

• eljay
        May 24, 2012, 9:15 am

>> The curse and the blessing of Jews is that they tend to forfeight “common” problems in pursue of higher and more [noble] goals- say … Zionism …

There’s nothing “higher and more noble” about a supremacist ideology of self-righteous entitlement.

• Shmuel
        May 24, 2012, 9:47 am

Classic rationalisation by the guys behind the guys with the torches and the pitchforks – whether in Shapira or in Yitzhar.

May 24, 2012, 10:09 am

There is no place for sober reaction here- people are afraid and desperate. I condemn any sort of racism and xenophobia. However this situation is a result of neglect and avoidance.

May 24, 2012, 10:10 am

Funny.

• Annie Robbins
        May 24, 2012, 10:36 am

people are afraid and desperate

zzzzz

• Hostage
      May 24, 2012, 1:22 am

As always eager to judge and jump the righteousness gun here.

Not at all. I was just wondering if this was the sort of scene the two angels encountered when they came into Sodom looking in vain for ten righteous souls?

• seafoid
        May 24, 2012, 3:54 am

Touché!

• Hostage
        May 24, 2012, 7:10 am

Touché!

The Babylonian Talmud, Sanhedrin 109a, emphasizes that the sins of the people of Sodom were immorality, lack of charity, and lack of hospitality towards travelers and wayfarers, like the modern-day African refugees.

The parallels, including haughty attitudes and implied threats of sexual violence are what brought the story to mind. You couldn’t make this stuff up:

The men of Sodom have no portion in the world to come. . . . Our Rabbis taught: The men of Sodom waxed haughty only on account of the good which the Holy One, blessed be He, had lavished upon them. . . . They said: Since there cometh forth bread out of [our] earth, and it hath the dust of gold, why should we suffer wayfarers, who come to us only to deplete our wealth. Come, let us abolish the practice of travelling in our land, as it is written, The flood breaketh out from the inhabitants,’ they are forgotten of the foot; they are dried up, they are gone away from men.

link to halakhah.com

May 24, 2012, 7:03 am

And who would be the angels here- you perhaps?

• Hostage
        May 24, 2012, 7:39 am

And who would be the angels here- you perhaps?

No, the strangers from Africa. The nice lady who is interceding on their behalf with her neighbors is following the righteous example of Lot. The Christians even have some traditions based upon this particular story that a) one should not forget to show hospitality to strangers, because some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it; and b) Lot was a righteous person. He was tormented in his soul by the wickedness of his neighbors that he witnessed day after day. I can’t imagine why, much less how, a sane intellect would want to live among such people.

• Djinn
      May 24, 2012, 2:56 am

Yeah, they’re not run of the mill racist scum they are only protecting their “own” people cause all migrants are dirty, diseased criminals dontcha know.

Funny, this whole evil non assimilating dirty others meme is remarkably familiar, something about a dude with a massive inferiority complex and a bad ‘stache but I just cant put my finger on it.

• marc b.
        May 24, 2012, 10:10 am

but I just cant put my finger on it.

r.silverstein has put his finger on it. poor commenters over there also trying to rationalize the racism of these pigs.

link to richardsilverstein.com

dime con quién andas, y te diré quién eres.

tell me who your friends are, and i will tell you who you are.

• Elisabeth
      May 24, 2012, 3:37 am

Dimadok, you say “all those who protect mostly economical migrants from Africa forget to care about the poores citizen of their own state, being Israel.”
      I can’t be sure of course, but I my guess is that many of those who care about the African refugees were also against the policies that in recent years changed Israel into a much harsher capitalst society with large income disparity. So I think it is unfair to blame them for the situation of the Israeli poor.

May 24, 2012, 7:05 am

I am responding just to point to the fact that your comment shows clearly the lack of any knowledge about these people in video and those who protested last summer.

• Elisabeth
        May 24, 2012, 11:15 am

Oh, I can be snooty too:

“I am responding just to point to the fact that your comment shows clearly the lack of any knowledge about those who protect these migrants from Africa”

And by the way: I wasn’t talking about the people in the video.

• eGuard
      May 24, 2012, 7:31 am

dimadok: Oh my, those horrible, horrible Jews!!!

Introducing a smear of anti-semitism should be a reason to throw the comment out.

May 24, 2012, 7:34 am

You didn’t get the sarcasm here. Sorry -I’ve should used a quotation marks.

• talknic
        May 24, 2012, 9:22 am

dimadok May 24, 2012 at 7:34 am

“Sorry -I’ve should used a quotation marks.”

You’re kicking your own strawman while he’s down. Who would you have been quoting?

dimadok May 23, 2012 at 11:09 pm

” Oh my, those horrible, horrible Jews!!! How dare are they!”

Mind if I quote your Antisemitic remark?

“You are always happy to beat the old drum of “horrible” Israel”

Quoting yourself!

• Woody Tanaka
        May 24, 2012, 7:48 am

It should be a reason to ban the person making the post.

• George Smith
      May 24, 2012, 8:25 am

Dim:

Huh?? I’m praising a (presumed) Israeli Jew for her moral courage, and this is vilifying Jews or Israel??

As for YOUR “problems”: they’re OUR problems, too. Israel’s oppression of Palestinians (and the rampant racism on the part of some Israelis that reinforces that oppression, and that is on shameful display in this video) is a problem for Jews in general because of Israel’s claim to being the homeland of all Jews. And it’s a problem for the US as a whole because of the material support we give to its program of oppression. So sorry: we non-Israelis have standing in this case.

• AllenBee
      May 24, 2012, 10:33 am

“Except that all those [American congresspersons] who protect mostly economical [interests of Israel] migrants from Africa forget to care about the poores citizen of their own state, being United States of America Israel.”

10. Blake
    May 23, 2012, 11:59 pm

Apart from the few dark skinned ones they all look as if they stepped out of a Russian slum.

• Annie Robbins
      May 24, 2012, 12:40 am

a bunch of them probably did.

and i’m sure they all love gays/not

tel aviv!

May 24, 2012, 6:54 am

Stupid comment- serious answer: most of their parents came from Arab and Norh African countries, you call them Mizrahi.

• seafoid
        May 24, 2012, 10:23 am

I thought their homeland was always Israel, dim

• Blake
        May 27, 2012, 9:23 am

Q. Where are ya from?
        A. Everywhere but Palestine but Palestine is ours.

11. ToivoS
    May 24, 2012, 1:01 am

Maybe ironic is the wrong word here but many of those African refugees come from S. Sudan. Recall that is the new nation that Israel worked hard to birth. Israel and US neocons worked hard to give them international credibility as a new nation. This involved supporting the insurgents with money and weapons. This involved supporting a civil war that created huge numbers of refugees. It is only natural that some of those refugees would migrate to the sponsoring country Israel. Oh Israel, you must reap what you sow. You did help create this humanitarian disaster it is only right that you support the resulting refugees.

• marc b.
      May 24, 2012, 10:14 am

exactly, toivo. isn’t ‘remember darfur’ the response of american zionists when the OT are brought up? we need to fix the sudan before we can move on to the ‘lesser evil’ of the OT. so we can be certain that these said same americans will be advocating for better treatment of the sudanese in israel. can’t we?

• ToivoS
        May 24, 2012, 5:01 pm

The ‘stop genocide in Darfur’ propaganda campaign in 2003 – 2005 was another Zionist supported cause, designed to partition Sudan. As is now well established there was no genocide going on there — maybe 20,000 people perished by military violence but the rest died of famine.

• Hostage
        May 25, 2012, 1:02 am

The experts have always been pretty incredulous about the claims. The Pre-Trial chamber refused to grant the Prosecutor’s initial request for an arrest warrant on the charges of genocide in the Al-Bashir case. Although the Prosecutor won an appeal, it’s doubtful that he could get a conviction on the basis of the evidence presented so far.

In his blog article, “Is ‘Genocide’ Over in Darfur? (2009)”, Prof. William A. Schabas wrote:

My own inquiries into this, especially with the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, indicate that probably fewer than 1,000 civilians or non-combatants have been killed as a result of State or State-sponsored violence in the past year. In other words, quite possibly more civilians were killed in Gaza in one month by the Israeli Defence Forces than in a year by the Sudanese army. More Sri Lankan civilians were killed by government forces in a week than in a year by the Sudanese army. Why aren’t the humanitarian hawks calling for US military intervention in Israel?

link to humanrightsdoctorate.blogspot.com

Schabas is the President of the International Association of Genocide Scholars and has refereed the recent debate in the Journal of Genocide Research over the crimes committed in connection with the founding of the State of Israel in 1948, e.g. link to forward.com

The Prosecutor’s term is up in a few days. In subsequent indictments of Al-Bashir’s co-conspirators the genocide charge has been conspicuously absent. See for example:

Has the Prosecutor Changed His Mind About Genocide in Darfur? (2012)
        link to humanrightsdoctorate.blogspot.com

New Warrant for Darfur, but Where is the Genocide Charge? (2011)
        link to humanrightsdoctorate.blogspot.com

• Bumblebye
        May 25, 2012, 3:29 am

George Monbiot seems to be bewildered by the recent attempts to downplay or write off the genocides in Rwanda and Srebrenica coming from the left:
        link to monbiot.com
        He’s particularly disappointed in Chomsky.

• AllenBee
      May 24, 2012, 11:21 am

I didn’t know that.

tangentially related — a few days ago Hillary Clinton announced an anti-hunger campaign, focused on Africa, special because its focus is on private-public partnering: Unilever, Monsanto will provide investment and expertise.

Clinton and Obama declared it

“It is a moral imperative to help people escape hunger and poverty. It is an economic imperative to spread prosperity, create rising incomes, give people the chance to give their own children a better future. It is indeed a strategic imperative. We want to support and build up countries who have leaders like those here before you to take their rightful place of leadership regionally and globally.

link to allafrica.com

In a C Span conversation about the program, Rajiv Shah, the go-to guy on the program, elaborated on that last line — “We want to support and build up countries who have leaders like those here before you to take their rightful place of leadership regionally and globally . . .
      Shah said that ‘we’ also want to counter China and Islam’s influence in N. Africa, and also open up markets for US corporations.

Recall how Jerry Bremer, who headed the Iraq Coalition Provisional Authority inserted into the Iraqi constitution the requirement that Iraqi farmers, they of civilization’s fertile crescent, may no longer harvest their own seeds but must use, that is, purchase, only Genetically Modified seed supplied by — Monsanto & Unilever.

It is also difficult for me to get my mind around the “moral imperative to help people escape hunger and poverty” when the US Congress and State Department, as well as Treasury, are working day and night, and have been since ~1995, to starve and impoverish Iranian citizens, and Israel is maintaining Gaza on a “diet.” US starved Iraqis before destroying their state and culture, then Bremer created a market for US corporations. Creative Destruction at work.

call me cynical.

12. ToivoS
    May 24, 2012, 1:18 am

OMG I just watched the video. What else is there to say: Zionism equals racism. Absolutely amazing. If only Americans knew.

13. giladg
    May 24, 2012, 2:15 am

Ten years ago there were 3,000 job seekers from Africa living in Tel-Aviv. There was a big outcry then. The pseudo liberals quickly came to the defense of the job seekers quoting Jewish persecution and how Jews need to help these people. Tikun Olam they told us. We told them that Israel cannot solve the problems of Africa. The numbers of impoverished people on the African continent is astonishing. Millions upon million are waiting to move to anywhere but Africa. The industry has reached a point that many job seekers in Sudan actually take a commercial flight to Cairo and from Cairo there is a slick mechanism to take them north to the Israel border. The Egyptians are doing this for many reasons.
    At what point does Tikun Olam become suicide? Reality shows that it already has. Tikun Olam is a modern, progressive concept. It does not appear in the Torah and is not a Jewish value. Charity is definitely a Jewish value and an important one at that. Helping these job seekers is not one because there are no winners here. Pressure the poor in any country and you bring out the worst. Same goes for Israel. At what point do the pseudo liberals say enough is enough? 100,00? 500,000? 1,000,000?

• Djinn
      May 24, 2012, 3:00 am

“We told them that Israel cannot solve the problems of Africa.”

And yet a tiny strip of already inhabited land was expected to solve the “problems” of the Jewish population worldwide

• AllenBee
        May 24, 2012, 11:09 am

second-largest cohort of residents in Section 8 (government subsidized) housing in my US midwest community = Russian Jews.

• seafoid
      May 24, 2012, 3:57 am

“Today the number of job seekers in Tel-Aviv is around 60,000. The options for affordable housing for the poor Israeli have now been dramatically reduced as many of the job seekers share the same apartments.”

Couldn’t the poor be moved to a refugee camp and bombed regularly?
      Or is that just for non-Jews?

• Shmuel
      May 24, 2012, 4:37 am

What are the causes of poverty, unemployment and unaffordable housing in Israel? What are the causes of the flux of migrants from Africa? What role has Israel played in contributing to this human tragedy? Does the free movement of capital and some “categories” of humans have anything to do with the need to move as well as the restrictions on movement for other “categories” of humans? What are Israel’s obligations to asylum seekers under international law and what are the reasons for such laws? Which Israeli policies contribute to the level of crime among the poorest in general and immigrants in particular (the chief of police had a few things to say about this sort of crime)?

The “wars of the poor” are inevitably ugly and inevitably fail to address the real causes of poverty. Hint: A demonstration at Akirov Towers would have been far more to the point. Scapegoating the Other is much easier, and always has the blessing of the real oppressors and exploiters.

• Shmuel
        May 24, 2012, 5:21 am

For some insight into the real causes of poverty and oppression in Israel, see Max Ajl’s interview with Matan Kaminer: link to mondoweiss.net

May 24, 2012, 7:07 am

Again most of them are migrants and not asylum seekers. Same laws apply to them as in EU ( deportation centers throughout the union) and US ( ICE anyone?).

• Shmuel
        May 24, 2012, 7:18 am

I called them migrants. It’s not exactly true that the same laws apply, because the laws concerning work visas, temporary and permanent residency, and eventual naturalisation are quite different, but you will not hear one good word out of me regarding EU treatment of migrants.

The rhetoric is similar, the violence is similar, and the justifications offered by “moderates” are similar. I have complete sympathy and solidarity with the real difficulties (and fears) of both migrants and local poor – whether in Europe or in Israel – but xenophobia, scapegoating and the incitement to racism by leaders and politicians must be condemned.

May 24, 2012, 7:33 am

So the title :
        Is true to the nature of events? Or perhaps was quick to judge, as usual here?

• seafoid
        May 24, 2012, 8:45 am

“xenophobia, scapegoating and the incitement to racism by leaders and politicians must be condemned.”

Especially when it happens in a nation that drops everything for 2 minutes to remember the Holocaust.
        How did it start in Germany ?
        Danon has zero self awareness.

• seafoid
        May 24, 2012, 9:31 am

Hever puts the cost of YESHA since 1968 at 100bn USD
        That would have built a lot of affordable housing in Greater Tel Aviv.

• Woody Tanaka
      May 24, 2012, 7:51 am

What a load of crap. If every one of these people converted to Judaism tomorrow, you would figure it out. So there is nothing preventing you from figuring it out now, except anti-Gentile bigotry.

• Talkback
      May 24, 2012, 8:48 am

“At what point do the pseudo liberals say enough is enough? 100,00? 500,000? 1,000,000?”

Ooooh, giladg has finally become and Antizionist, too. Well the Mandatory said 75.000 after 1939 and added another 100.000 refugees.

• giladg
        May 24, 2012, 9:51 am

There is nothing pseudo about Jews returning home. This is either the historic homeland of the Jews or it is not. If it is, and we all know it is, then “F#&@” the British for imposing quotas as well as reneging on their commitments for a Jewish homeland on both the East Bank (Jordan today) and the West Bank (west of the Jordan River to the Mediteranean).

• eljay
        May 24, 2012, 10:17 am

>> There is nothing pseudo about Jews returning home.

It is when the “home” they are returning to is not their own.

>> This is either the historic homeland of the Jews or it is not.

It is not.

>> If it is, and we all know it is …

We don’t all know it is, because it’s not.

• justicewillprevail
        May 24, 2012, 11:18 am

Everything about it is pseudo. It is not their home, it is the home of the people who have actually lived there, built the houses and farmed the land for generations. You deny their right to their own home, and make up fantasies about returning somewhere you have never been to. Delegitimisation and the denial of their right to exist. Ugly.

• Woody Tanaka
        May 24, 2012, 11:44 am

“There is nothing pseudo about Jews returning home.”

There is everything pseudo about European and American Jews in the Levant.

“This is either the historic homeland of the Jews or it is not.”

Ancient history and modern-day rights are two different things.

“If it is, and we all know it is, then “F#&@” the British for imposing quotas”

No, “F#&@” the Zionists past and present for acting like being fascists and trampling the rights of the people whose land it actually is.

“…as well as reneging on their commitments for a Jewish homeland on both the East Bank (Jordan today) and the West Bank (west of the Jordan River to the Mediteranean).”

One cheer for the British. The fact that they limited their damage to Palestine and didn’t let the cancer of zionism to spread to Jordan is the only positive that could be said for them.

• Talkback
        May 24, 2012, 2:45 pm

“There is nothing pseudo about Jews returning home. This is either the historic homeland of the Jews or it is not.”

Well, it was the “historic” homeland of Hebrews, but the actual homeland of Palestinians. But because you have finally become an antizionist you support also the return of Palestinians to their home, correct?

“If it is, and we all know it is, then “F#&@” the British for imposing quotas as well as reneging on their commitments for a Jewish homeland on both the East Bank (Jordan today) and the West Bank (west of the Jordan River to the Mediteranean).”

You shouldn’t read hasbara pamphlets. The commitment was only for a Jewish homeland “IN” Palestine not in the WHOLE of Palestine. And the mandates clearly says “The Administration of Palestine, WHILE ENSURING THE RIGHTS AND POSITIONS OF OTHER SECTIONS OF THE POPULATION ARE NOT PREJUDICED, shall FACILITATE Jewish immigration under suitable conditions and shall encourage, in co-operation with the Jewish agency referred to in Article 4, CLOSE SETTLEMENT by Jews on the land, …”

So there was nothing wrong in imposing quotas. And regarding the national home the first general attorney of Palestine Bentwich (a Jewish Zionist) wrote:
        “It signifies a territory in which a people, without receiving rights of political sovereignty, has nevertheless a recognized legal position and the opportunity of developing its moral, social, and intellectual ideas.”
        link to unispal.un.org

14. American
    May 24, 2012, 2:33 am

Have we had any confrontations between the anti and pro immigrants crowd like that one here in the US?…I can’t think of one off hand.

15. seafoid
    May 24, 2012, 4:33 am

Poor Israelis are the backbone of the Likud. They have been shafted for so long in favour of the settlers and the military industrial complex . Their standard of living is slowly being whittled away by inflation. They are angry but they don’t understand the system that deprives them. And they don’t have the eloquence to make their case effectively so you end up with this.

16. Eleanor Kilroy
    May 24, 2012, 4:56 am

A society in meltdown

May 24, 2012, 7:08 am

How about UK- visited any deportation centers recently? Your righteousness is showing, dear.

• eGuard
        May 24, 2012, 7:33 am

Howabout-washing, dimadok.

May 24, 2012, 7:35 am

Say again?

• seafoid
        May 24, 2012, 10:26 am

Dim- when at the earliest can you see George Osborne going to Bradford in England do a stump speech where he will refer to Muslims as vermin who must be deported immediately?
        That is what Danon did yesterday.

• seafoid
        May 24, 2012, 8:42 am

Howaboutery is the sign of a lost argument.

May 24, 2012, 10:14 am

Thank you.

• talknic
        May 24, 2012, 9:26 am

dimadok May 24, 2012 at 7:08 am

“How about UK- visited any deportation centers recently?”

Where people can be deported for what exactly?

17. ahadhaadam
    May 24, 2012, 8:45 am

Notice that this incident comes a day after Bob Simon of 60 Minutes “Goldstoned” by airing a very flattering coverage of Tel Aviv as a city of tolerance and pluralism, noting that “everybody seems to get along in Tel Aviv”…

Simon “Goldstoned” and felt compelled to “balanace” obviously because of his earlier segment “Christians in the Holy Land” which was a PR disaster for Israel.

Perhaps Simon will air a segment about xenophobia in Tel Aviv and state supported racism in Israel? Nah, no chance…

• seafoid
      May 24, 2012, 9:29 am

That Tel Aviv tolerance spin seems to be incomplete

link to mondoweiss.net

“I was active at the encampment at Levinsky Park. This park, in South Tel Aviv, is the epicenter of the refugee crisis in Israel, mostly because the state and city authorities do everything to concentrate the tens of thousands of refugees from Eritrea and Sudan pouring into Israel in the neighborhood around it.”

18. BillM
    May 24, 2012, 11:48 am

Did this make the American newspapers at all? I saw the Chicago Tribune carried Reuters’ piece on the mob, but I did not see it anywhere else. Imagine if a similar pogrom against Jews had happened in an African country (or anywhere else). It would have been in every newspaper in the country.

19. mig
    May 24, 2012, 11:52 am

Advocacy group: Refugee screening designed to reject all applicants

Out of thousands of requests for refugee status submitted in Israel last year, only eight were approved, says a new report by a leading refugee rights attorney.

Out of the thousands of requests for refugee status submitted in Israel last year, a total of eight were approved, says a new report by a leading refugee rights attorney.

link to haaretz.com

African refugees hired to build fence to keep migrants out of Israel

link to haaretz.com

link to unhcr.org

link to jpost.com

20. piotr
    May 24, 2012, 11:59 am

I was very impressed by the brave woman. In the past, a working class woman with strong opinions would be branded as a witch.

The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters link to en.wikipedia.org