Help Mondoweiss continue to push Israel/Palestine into the mainstream

airportpanels
Najwa Doughman and Sasha Al-Sarabi’s story of getting their email searched in Ben Gurion airport was just one of several Mondoweiss stories that has been picked up by the mainstream media is recent months. (Image: Ethan Heitner)

Twice a year we ask for your support, and we usually talk about breaking the mainstream media’s blockade on the Israel/Palestine issue. Not this time. Maybe you’ve noticed—but the issue is finally breaking the surface. From Palestine’s politicization in the Republican presidential primaries to bold reporting at 60 Minutes to the Daily Beast‘s Open Zion blog to Andrew Sullivan and Robert Wright’s outspokenness to the replacement of the New York Times’ Israel-ra-ra correspondent by a reporter with genuine interest in Palestinian conditions– the mainstream media is changing before our eyes. Almost every day, big newspapers run op-eds that reflect sympathy for the Palestinian cause.

We would never claim that this is our doing. Many people have pushed the door open. But we have been a key part of a journalistic movement that is playing a critical role in widening the debate. There is still a ways to go. The mainstream discourse is timid. Its assumptions are at best the liberal Zionist idea that a 45-year-long occupation can be undone tomorrow by waving a wand called the two state solution.

Mondoweiss’s accomplishment has been to create a platform from which we can all question this orthodoxy. New York magazine recently called the site the hub of “the anti-Zionist wing of the American Jewish intellectual world,” and we’re proud we’re able to feature writers from around the world who shatter the stereotypes and perceived wisdom of the Middle East and US foreign policy. Our work is getting noticed and it seeds reporting in many other countries – whether on the scandalous treatment of Arab Americans at Ben Gurion airport or a congressman’s humorously inept understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. We need to keep pushing — with reporting, moral insistence, and entertaining writing and comment. Please help us by making a tax-deductible donation to Mondoweiss today.

Over the past year, your support has helped us expand our staff and our reach. The site’s traffic continues to grow — we’ve had over 2.2 million unique visitors so far this year. Our numbers are directly tied to our having the resources to present first-hand reporting and analysis on a daily basis.

We feel incredible gratitude to readers for your bedrock support of our work. We have two exciting books to offer from our partners at Haymarket Books — Moshe Machover’s Israelis and Palestinians: Conflict and Resolution and Deepa Kumar’s Islamophobia and the Politics of Empire. Both books engage the themes we deal with on Mondoweiss everyday – Zionism, the Israeli-Palestinians conflict and the connections to US foreign and domestic politics. As a thank you we’ll be happy to send you one of the books for a tax-deductible donation of $60 and both of them for $100. In addition, all donations of $100 or higher are being matched by a generous anonymous donor. This will be a big lift as we seek to reach our goal of $40,000.

As always, thank you for being part of the Mondoweiss community and for helping make this site possible.

1. eljay
    June 18, 2012, 12:14 pm

Donation made. Hope it helps. :-)

2. Kathleen
    June 18, 2012, 12:18 pm

While taking this request to other websites
    link to nymag.com

Thanks for all of your remarkable work for justice Mondoweiss team. Knocking down the wall of silence

3. American
    June 18, 2012, 12:56 pm

Done.

• Skandall
      June 24, 2012, 4:42 pm

me too. 1 farthing, hope Phil doesn’t spend it all in one place .

4. seafoid
    June 18, 2012, 12:57 pm

Keep up the good work, people

Meanwhile Israel’s continued descent into bureaucratic barbarism continues . This story says it all. Israel’s experiment to see how much poverty and cruelty a captive population can take moves to a new level with the news that Gaza is now a breeding ground for medical disorders previously unknown.

This is the Jewish state in action . This is tikkun olam 2012

link to haaretz.com

Israeli scientists find new strain of MRSA bacteria spreading in Gaza City
    In the course of the Israeli-Palestinian research some 600 Gaza residents were tested – 300 children and 300 of their parents. Nose swabs were collected and the specimens transported to Sheba Medical Center. Scientists identified the MRSA bacterium in 15 percent of those tested, but also noted that it was not the virulent USA300 strain. It was, rather, a strain that has been identified in European hospitals, but in Gaza it is present in the general community. This strain, which tend to cause skin abscesses and infections was not identified in the West Bank in subsequent testing.

5. Citizen
    June 18, 2012, 1:41 pm

I’m not sure Mondoweiss has affected exquisite culture caches, such as the New Yorker magazine–how to tell? This piece beyond Kafka?

link to newyorker.com

• Annie Robbins
      June 18, 2012, 2:55 pm

what garbage. i can’t believe they would publish that!

• American
        June 18, 2012, 3:22 pm

Yea it is garbage…even for fiction.
        Reminds me if I could write I would do a fiction thriller on the wipe out of zios and neo’s in the US by some V for Vengence hero.

• Cliff
      June 18, 2012, 6:57 pm

Read the interview with the author afterwards – it gets more absurd. There’s even a pretentious portrait of her to boot.

• ColinWright
      June 19, 2012, 1:37 am

That is weird. For one, it doesn’t seem to be very well written — not that I’d be able to be objective about it. After reading the first paragraph I scanned the next couple of pages and then decided to spare myself.

Maybe the ‘New Yorker’ felt it had to display ‘balance’ after publishing some piece with pro-Palestinian implications. They put out the cattle call — and this is the best anyone could come up with.

If so, that’s a good sign.

6. gazacalling
    June 18, 2012, 2:03 pm

You guys are working so hard, and it’s really making a difference! Keep up the great work!

7. giladg
    June 18, 2012, 2:25 pm

When are we going to see a post from George Soros? How much does he cover? What’s his alias?

8. lysias
    June 18, 2012, 2:29 pm

Please give an address to which checks can be sent by snail mail.

• Adam Horowitz
      June 19, 2012, 11:00 am

Thanks so much everyone!

Lysias, you can make your check payable to “CERSC – Mondoweiss” and send it to CERSC, PO Box 180165, Chicago, IL 60618.

Thanks again

June 19, 2012, 11:15 am

Adam, what does CERSC stand for?

• Sumud
        June 19, 2012, 1:32 pm

Center for Economic Research and Social Change

link to cersc.org

Communists!

• Kathleen
        June 19, 2012, 9:07 pm

Working for humanitarian issues…justice. Damn commie pinko’s

9. YoungMassJew
    June 18, 2012, 4:33 pm

Thank you for providing a platform to continue what your doing in promoting a message of true justice for the Palestinians. Zionism has no limits and exposing those who promote this hateful ideology has been refreshing to read, a great departure from the msn.

10. Avi_G.
    June 18, 2012, 5:00 pm

Go see Food with Fadwa. link to mondoweiss.net

Highly recommended!

Info: link to nytw.org

Review: link to theater.nytimes.com

Watching the play, I laughed, smiled, and got teary eyed.

11. Klaus Bloemker
    June 18, 2012, 6:27 pm

Although the Euro-Dollar exchange rate has been adverse lately to donations from the Euro Zone, I of course support Mondoweiss because it is a bright star of American freedom of speech. – Believe me, I’m serious, Germans are always serious.

• Klaus Bloemker
      June 18, 2012, 8:43 pm

P.S.:
      My donation to Mondoweiss is not a joke. But I forgot to mention that I consider Mooser to be the brightest star of American freedom of speech on Mondoweiss.
      I hope, he keeps shining.

June 19, 2012, 11:20 am

I dunno–sometimes Mooser hits the mark, sometimes he does not. Hostage, for one, is more erudite, tenacious, and more effectively counters hasbara bots here. Mooser’s humor may entertain at times, and sometimes gets right to the psychic point, but the hasbarabots could care less about that–and they infest here to divert topics and dish out grand lies newbies coming here may never have dealt with before. Mooser’s input assumes a lot of knowledge about the I-P affair, and being Jewish generally–he depends on irony. Hasbarabots ignore irony. They are always after fresh naive meat.

• Klaus Bloemker
        June 19, 2012, 1:49 pm

Mooser, “being Jewish … depends on irony”. – Citizen

So do I sometimes, although being German. – Mooser is in love with his laid-back, ironical, sophisticated vocabulary – it actually doesn’t matter what he says, it’s mostly just l’art pour l’art.

June 30, 2012, 6:48 am

I did not mean to imply only Jews appreciate irony; but irony depends on “inside awareness/knowledge” not available to the newbie. I know lots of German Americans, especially in rural NY/PA, who say little, but when they do it’s very ironical and totally escapes the city crowd who often have summer places in the local region.

July 6, 2012, 7:13 pm

“Mooser, “being Jewish … depends on irony”.

Yes, but on the other hand, I’m a terrible, compulsive liar. And on the subject of my Judaism, opinions differ.
        And if I may humbly, what the hell is it to you what my religion is? Have I ever asked you what your religion is? No, I at least respect you enough to assume that (under most circumstances) you know that anybody who asks you about your religion should be lied to.

July 6, 2012, 7:23 pm

“Mooser is in love with his laid-back, ironical, sophisticated vocabulary – it actually doesn’t matter what he says, it’s mostly just l’art pour l’art.”

I don’t know, maybe that’s better than somebody who is always looking for an excuse for mass murder.

12. Blake
    June 18, 2012, 7:36 pm

Bless you Adam & Phil.

This video should be music to your ears then:
    Football: Scotland 8 Israel 0 – They’re Useless Without Guns

13. BrianEsker
    June 18, 2012, 7:40 pm

You dorks must be kidding…

• Sumud
      June 19, 2012, 1:36 pm

‘2.2 million unique visitors so far this year’ sound pretty serious to me.

14. aiman
    June 18, 2012, 9:44 pm

Even I, a currently jobless old student, must do my bit. Keep up the amazing work guys!

15. aiman
    June 18, 2012, 10:06 pm

P.S. I would prefer a cheque in snail mail, too.

16. ColinWright
    June 19, 2012, 1:47 am

I’m gonna give you a hundred bucks. However, just as a general comment…

People in this area spend too much time preaching to the converted. The point isn’t to sway people who probably already at least agree that Israel needs to be reined in.

Not that I’m free from this sin — but you have to get out among the great unwashed and address people who DON’T agree with you. At least shake their confidence. Get them wondering if what the pastor is saying is really true. Make them look up some verses in the Bible on their own. Read some REAL archeology. Etc.

• Klaus Bloemker
      June 19, 2012, 8:51 am

@ Colin
      I now regret having donated my Euros to Mondoweiss. I wrote a couple of comments on ‘Rebranding Israel’ in response to your comment on historian Brigitte Hamann’s book and the young Hitler in Vienna. They were all cancelled. – Her name “Hamann” is probably beyond the pale for the moderators (= Haman, the eternal enemy of the Jews).

June 19, 2012, 9:15 am

You mean like this?
      The Parable of the Vineyard (aka Wicked Tenants, Wicked husbandman): link to wesley.nnu.edu

link to lawofliberty.com
      link to gotquestions.org

OK, I will try (once again)

• ColinWright
        June 19, 2012, 3:27 pm

Your references seem to miss what to me is the fairly obvious import of the parable; that in killing Jesus, the Jews will forfeit their claim to Israel.

This argument may not cut much ice with me — but it will impress an Evangelical. And to my mind, all this isn’t about putting over an ideology — it’s about undermining support for Israel. Figure out why people are supporting Israel and show them their reasons are invalid. The amount of good we can do agreeing with each other that Israel is awful is limited.

• MHughes976
        June 25, 2012, 5:33 pm

There are elements of antagonism between Christians and Jews that lie deep in both traditions but I wouldn’t like to appeal to those elements.
        I do see some value in building up a group of people of good morality who can see the awful thing that is going on in the ME for what it is. That is what I think Mondoweiss is doing.

June 30, 2012, 6:54 am

Colin, you must not have tried hard, very hard, and repeatedly, to undermine support for Israel by Evangelicals, as I have–and always failed. Just can’t penetrate. Neither by facts or by using biblical scripture countering theirs.

• Danaa
        July 2, 2012, 4:25 pm

But citizen, I’ve had some [limited] success. Not by appealing to either reason or faith, but by pointing out god’s eternal puzzle to humans [including those of evangelical persuation] – who is [really] a Jew? not saying I got anyone convinced to change their view or anything, but the idea that god moves in mysterious ways did seem to have some appeal, enough to plant a seed of doubt.

It helps to know Sand’s book, BTW. And it helps being able to weave a tale of the devil’s works. Well, may be it’s all in the delivery – and it won’t surprise you to learn that I can conjure up my inner prophet/preacher when the need arises (a glass of nice wine always helps, of course, for stirring in more old-fashioned fire and brimstone).

The problem is, I think, gotta meet them where they are. Sometimes I can see it – kind of.

July 4, 2012, 8:19 am

Danaa, here’s the latest from my fundy email friend; how would you respond to it:

“I have answered you . You either do not accept what I have to say or you are ignoring me. So I see no point to repeating myself. You are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine. I do understand what you are saying, I do not agree and never will, so no matter how many facts you through at me it is not going to change my mind. Our only hope is Christ and until we all except that, there will be Palestine’s and Israel around; each taking their turns at being the bad guys. You don’t have to like it or agree. I know I have told you this before but your seem to be obsessed with changing my mind. I believe my perspective in broader then yours, I am also considering the spiritual realm and eternity as well as the here and now. So you are not going to see what I am looking at. I think I am going a lot further back in history then you too. Yes you are very intelligent and yes you have a heart for the Palestine, I get it!”

• seafoid
        July 4, 2012, 10:29 am

I think Evangelicals en masse are a lost cause. They appear to be a minority group. I read in the NYR about a surge in female evangelical support for Santorum because his wife gave birth to a disabled child instead of having an abortion.

link to nybooks.com

I wonder how many independent voters would choose a fruitcake like Santorum because of this .

Evangelicals would appear to be extremist to drive Government policy. They may form part of a Republican coalition but they will never be the majority. So what they think about Palestine is unlikely to be defining over the long term. And Jesus is never going to land in Jerusalem to whizz them back up no matter how many abstain from masturbation.

Israel depends on them which is a sign of how desperate Zionism is.

• seafoid
        July 4, 2012, 12:10 pm

The Christian Zionists are the dregs of Christianity

Rose guide to the end times
        link to roseguidetoendtimesprophecy.com

Page 212
        “Wherever there is a carcass there the vultures will gather (Matthew 24:28)
        View 1 fulfilment in the end times only
        The carcass represents Jews who refuse to recognise Jesus as the Messiah. they are dead in their sins”

July 4, 2012, 1:08 pm

Last time I searched via Google, Christian evangelicals in the USA numbered 31 million. This does not even include say, my email friend Rose, who sends me Youtube videos from “the voice of orthodox Roman Catholicism” network. They believe in a Christian version of Natural Law divorced from from the origins of the Greek concept of natural law, that is, reason, embellished by faith since man is not capable of understanding God’s and God’s will and methods. Not that such folk ever studied the roots of classical philosophy/morality. Anyway, I can tell you from emailing back and forth with my Christian fundy pals, they equate abortion with the Holocaust and anything ever done to the Palestinians, for example. They wonder why I am so obsessed with Palestinian lives and US foreign policy while the US, including the US government of all three branches does not protect and strive to help the on-going massacre of “children in the womb.”
        They would never bother to come to Mondoweiss blog. Facts mean nothing in the face of God’s word via Jesus. As i’ve been told, “You can send any facts you want and it won’t change my mind.”

July 4, 2012, 1:20 pm

seafoid, the Christian fundies I know will be happy to send their own children and last tax dollar and yours to fight for Israel; the only goal they hold higher is fighting against massacre of “children in the womb.” I would guess their total number in the 81% self-described Christian USA is 5o million (31 million self-identified evangelicals, and the rest Christians of all sorts.)

July 6, 2012, 7:33 pm

“Colin, you must not have tried hard, very hard, and repeatedly, to undermine support for Israel by Evangelicals, as I have–and always failed. Just can’t penetrate.”

Oh my God, the picture of you, Citizen, trying to “undermine support for Israel by Evangelicals”, based on the rhetoric used in your comments, is frightening. I don’t wonder you fail at it.

July 7, 2012, 1:32 am

Mooser, yeah, you blend.

• Danaa
        July 7, 2012, 3:48 am

Citizen – apologies for just now getting back to you – busy times….

Here’s my little guide for how to respond to the odd friendly evangelical:

1. Accept that the individual truly believes in Jesus as the son of god and takes much of the new testament literally. Also that they really need to believe because otherwise there’s nothing but depressing everlasting mortality. That need should be acknowledged.

2. Try to imagine a universe where faith is on equal footing to reason (or even higher). Such may not be as hard as you think – for example, theoretical Physicists tend to be true believers (eg, in The Standard model, in the Power of Logic, in the Utility of Mathematics, in their own powers of mathematical reasoning). Another example – we all believe(d) in the “Invisible Hand”. Why? because we basically liked the idea and it was as good as any. This little exercise may require internally consorting with the meaning of “belief”, and what it means to you, but never mind, it’s a good exercise on any day. A fun spiritual Hula-Hoop.

3. A true believer is one that the more his/her beliefs are challenged, the more they conflict with everyday reality, the stronger in their belief they become. A good practical metaphor is a spring. The more you stretch it, the more it tries to return to its equilibrium position. You are trying to stretch the ‘spring” of your believer to the breaking point (all springs have one, right?). But he/she are not about to let you do that (ie, they have a mighty strong spring constant, which they can appeal to anytime, whereas all you got is the limited patience of the not-much-of-a-believer).

4. the only option you have for getting through to the believer is swing them into a harmonic motion – ie, to cause them to go into oscillation about their equilibrium point (cf. their faith comfort zone). Yes, that could get them dizzy and there’s your opening.

5. How to do that? well, it helps to have an argument that appeals to them, yet stretches their faith in a direction they want to go anyways. That’s the equivalent of using gravity to your advantage (our spring is vertical now!). I have used the argument that Palestinians may be the real Jews and that god works in mysterious ways. I also tried the concept of zionism as the devil’s work – something to throw off the true believer. It helps BTW that the true evangelical basically distrusts all Jews, believing them to be a necessary “evil” that they need to foster to get to the rapture. I guess I am saying they actually are, kind of, anti-semitic, in the true sense of the word. Knowing that is disturbing, but can also be useful. Oh yes, it helps being able to stretch an argument convincingly (which is where Sand’s many factoids come in handy. Use them liberally and deliver with passion. Myself, I really like the Berbers – no one will know otherwise, so no need to worry about counter arguments. They ain’t got one handy, plus they hate Arabs).

6. At this point, I try to remind myself that not everyone is as fond of the abstract as I am (very hard, that). Which means conjuring up something personal and concrete – and/or eliciting such from them.

7. Oops! I ran out of time and there are 4 more points to go before we get to the promised land. I’ll just jump to…..

10. Patience is of the essence. Now that’s where I fail – unfailingly flailing all the way.

If not for #10, I could have made lots of progress, me thinks. It’s just that something more interesting always comes up.

• Kathleen
      June 19, 2012, 9:32 am

Absolutely. But keep in mind every link every fact you provide here is seen and possibly accessed by those that visit or pass by. Feed the visitors facts…encourage them to think, research, discuss, write their Reps…write the White House.

Pass out fact based information where ever you go. Schools in your area, Court Houses, drop this information where ever you go. Educate educate educatehttp://www.ifamericansknew.org/about_us/materials.html

17. YoungMassJew
    June 19, 2012, 2:22 pm

I also want to say thank you for creating an outlet for I, and others, that allows one to express their identity as an anti-Zionist Jewish American!

• Kathleen
      June 19, 2012, 9:09 pm

Thanks for letting everyone know you are out there. Keep spreading the word, links about Mondoweiss, Race for Iran etc

18. Klaus Bloemker
    June 19, 2012, 2:30 pm

Yes, “fact based information” – but also: Knock the Zionists and their lobby off their ideological, moral high ground by quoting for instance Karl Popper who, in 1984, commenting harshly on Israeli policy towards Arabs, said:

“It makes me ashamed of my origin.” And, “The notion of a chosen people is evil”.
    (Quoted by his pupils David Edmonds and John Eidinow in “Wittgenstein’s Poker”.)

Popper came from a Jewish family that had converted to Protestantism in Vienna.
    He wrote ‘The Open Society’ and can’t be labeled a xenophobic.

• ColinWright
      June 19, 2012, 3:29 pm

Whatever works. If I met someone who thought the Jews should have Palestine because they were descended from ancient astronauts, I would turn my mind to demonstrating to him that they weren’t descended from ancient astronauts.

19. giladg
    June 20, 2012, 8:20 am

Pushing the I/P conflict more into the mainstream will result in more reporting about action taken by Palestinians that does not fit the bill for Palestinians pursuing non-violence. Take for example the attack on the Egyptian border this week on Israeli civilians and the barrage of missiles and mortars being fired into Israel, with a Grad Rocket reaching Bersheva, today, and its is still not over. Watch CNN or the BBC and most would have no idea that these events took place, never mind who is responsible. CNN, the BBC and many other are deft at the spin. It has little public interest when attacks are carried out against Israel, but not the other way round. If its a soldier thumping a demonstrator in the face or a dog biting the arm of a rock thrower, watch out Israel. If it is an Israel injured or killed by Palestinians, go search for the info on page 19 of the 18 page paper.

• Sumud
      June 20, 2012, 11:42 am

Watch most mainstream news outlets – especially those in the US – and you may well end up thinking that it is Palestinians who perpetrated the Nakba against zionists and Palestinians who have occupied Israeli land since 1967.

If you don’t like the timid way msm covers P/I issues now you better take a seat giladg – you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

June 20, 2012, 4:46 pm

Give examples, even from Fox News, but not only.

June 20, 2012, 5:02 pm
        June 20, 2012, 5:06 pm

More Americans watch Fox News than any other news media outlet, so here we go:
        link to foxnews.com

1. Israeli strike kills suspect in ambush from Egypt | Fox News

www.foxnews.com/…/israel-aircraft-strike-gaza-in-response-to-rocket…
16 hours ago – It identified the two militants it targeted over the attack from Egypt as … can sneak across the Gaza-Egypt border through smuggling tunnels.
        3. Shadowy al-Qaida-linked group claims Israel attack | Fox News

www.foxnews.com/world/…/palestinian-mosque-torched-in-west-ban…
1 day ago – In Monday’s attack, two gunmen infiltrated Israel from Egypt’s Sinai desert, killing a civilian worker who was part of a team building a border …
        5. Militants cross into Israel from Egypt, 1 killed | Fox News

www.foxnews.com/…/israel-media-militants-cross-border-kill-israeli/
2 days ago – Southern Gaza borders Sinai, and infiltrators can exit Gaza through tunnels … There was no immediate comment from Egypt on the attack.
        7. 2 dead after Egyptian militants fire across Israeli border … – Fox News

www.foxnews.com/…/1-dead-after-egyptian-militants-fire-across-isra…
2 days ago – Reports say militants open fire on Israel-Egypt border, killing one. … The media reported that one Israeli was killed in the attack. Israeli radio …

9. Israelis Attacked by ‘Terror Squad’ Near Egypt Border – FOX News

www.foxnews.mobi/politics/quickPage.html?page=38321…
FOX News. Israelis Attacked by ‘Terror Squad’ Near Egypt Border. (page 1 of 8) View Entire Story. At least eight are dead and another 40 injured after a “terror …
        10.

June 20, 2012, 6:12 pm

What, in any of these reports, shows a pro-Israel bias? I am baffled. Please explain. The fact that they even reported on them?

June 20, 2012, 6:15 pm

Wrong! You need to qualify your statement and say cable network. The number of US citizens who watch Fox is a drop in the ocean. Bill oreily, their top gun, has about 3 million viewers on a good day.

So, by your account, any reporting about facts from the region, where Israel cannot be bashed, is pro-Israel? Do you even realize how rediculous your list of events are, as examples of pro-Israeli reporting?

• ColinWright
        June 22, 2012, 3:50 am

‘So, by your account, any reporting about facts from the region, where Israel cannot be bashed, is pro-Israel?’

Well, logically, yeah. There is a region ‘where Israel cannot be bashed.’ Presumably, that means there cannot be reporting hostile to Israel. Therefore, all reporting from that region must be pro-Israel.

You must have meant something else, but that IS what you said.

• Sumud
        June 24, 2012, 8:00 am

Give examples, even from Fox News, but not only.

In 2005 Alison Weir of ‘If Americans Knew’ did an important study of US media (NYT, ABC, CBS, NBC) coverage of the second intifada after visiting the West Bank and Gaza. She found Palestinian deaths were consistently and dramatically underreported in comparison to Israelis deaths, which were in some case over reported, ie. more deaths than actually occurred were reported.

Available in 3 quantified parts on YT:

Unbiased Coverage:The Israel-Palestine Conflict Part 1
        Unbiased Coverage:The Israel-Palestine Conflict Part 2
        Unbiased Coverage:The Israel-Palestine Conflict Part 3

• Kathleen
        June 24, 2012, 7:36 pm

FAIR also did a report on the unfair way NPR reports about Coverage of deaths in the Israeli Palestinian conflict

• ColinWright
      June 22, 2012, 3:39 am

That’s really laughable. It’s exactly the other way around. A dead Palestinian rarely rates a mention. A dead Israeli is news. This is very hard not to notice. The Times describes ‘Cast Lead’ as having been sparked by an increase in rocket fire from the Gaza Strip — when in fact, the increase was sparked by a series of unprovoked Israeli attacks. Etc, etc, etc.

I dunno what to say about this. You obviously want people to seriously respond to you — but it’s like meeting someone who thinks dogs don’t chase cats. It’s just too absurd to bother with.

• Hostage
        June 24, 2012, 11:08 am

I dunno what to say about this.

“Zionism” was observed and described in “The Jewish State,” by Theodor Herzl. He proposed that Zionists were simply incapable of functioning at a normal level among Gentiles. He claimed they had lost of “the power of assimilation”, i.e. socialization, during the Middle Ages. He also claimed that Zionists produced an excess of mediocre intellects. link to gutenberg.org

So “Zionism” can be considered a disorder of development and learning, similar to Antisocial Personality Disorder. See The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) for more information.

July 6, 2012, 7:39 pm

“See The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) for more information.”

Or Google “Ziocaine”! (Gotta do it in quotes, or they think you misspelled “cocaine”)
        And I see my Google spel-chek no longer counts “Ziocaine” as a misspelling, too.

20. eljay
    June 20, 2012, 8:56 am

>> Pushing the I/P conflict more into the mainstream will result in more reporting about action taken by Palestinians that does not fit the bill for Palestinians pursuing non-violence.

Your concern is touching, but what really bothers hateful and immoral Zio-supremacists like you is the knowledge that pushing the conflict more into the mainstream will increasingly expose Israel for the oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and supremacist state it truly and profoundly is.

• ColinWright
      June 22, 2012, 3:42 am

‘…And the more people understand what Israel actually is, the more they will begin to understand, accept and sympathize with Palestinian resistance as legitimate and justifiable. And the more they will, rightly, grow to loathe Israeli oppression and brutality, and hateful and immoral of Zio-supremacists just. like. you.’

That really is the mental process one goes through, too. I started out as an intuitive Israel supporter. I never really thought about it: I just was.

Then I started noticing what they actually DID…and kept noticing. One good segment on ‘Sixty Minutes’ could finish Israel.

21. lobewyper
    June 20, 2012, 11:24 am

How many times do I have to tell you guys? Find just one rich donor who believes in truth-in-packaging re: the Middle East! In the meantime, I’m going to donate a bit more while you find that person…

22. ravendxpac
    June 20, 2012, 2:38 pm

You should bring back the flotilla boat animation, that would spark more donations…

• alec
      June 25, 2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks for the input ravendxpac. We did the original flotilla animation and proposed funnier and tougher animations for this season as well which were rejected. On the other hand, the airport Gmail login story did take off in national media thanks to Mondoweiss. It’s hard to know where to draw the line. I’d draw it much further than Phil and Adam. Palestinians are murdered by settlers under the supervision of the IDF while we’re debating the point.

The US drone campaigns have really dumped the US in the same ethical cesspool as Israel though.

23. giladg
    June 24, 2012, 3:41 am

Whilst you are busy pushing the Palestinian story further into the mainstream, you might want to mention the over 160 rockets that have been fired into Israel from Gaza over the past week, with over 30 on Saturday alone. Or are you talking about the “other” mainstream media that is selective in its reporting from the region?

• Sumud
      June 24, 2012, 7:27 am

• How many rockets and missiles has Israel fired into Gaza in the last week?
      • Where were the rockets that Gazans fired targeted in Israel (militarily installations, civilian targets – just anywhere)?
      • How many Israelis did these rockets kill?

Is the IDF still using the same SOP that they were in the period leading up to the bloodbath they visited on Gaza in 2008/2009 – where in about 95% of the cases they were the first to break ceasefires? See:

Reigniting Violence: How Do Ceasefires End?

Do you think the Warsaw Ghetto uprising was heroic or an act of terrorism?

Do you believe that Egypt’s blockade of the Straits of Tiran was an act of war and that Israel was only acting in self-defence when they attacked Egypt in June 1967?

PS as a regular I hope you made a donation giladg…

June 25, 2012, 4:16 am

Rockets were fired into civilian cities. Yes Sumud, you hinted they were not. If you had no idea that this happened, and you are willing to internalize my comments about selective reporting, then take 5 minutes to research on various sites, I’ll give you a list if you like, of what happened over the past few days.
        And tell us Sumud, if no Israeli’s died in the recent barrage, does this make firing the rockets okay? No need to answer!

24. giladg
    June 24, 2012, 6:02 pm

The Huffington Post get its updates from Mondoweiss, or is it the other way round. You all feed of each other. No wonder the truth has a hard time surfacing. Nancy Kanwisher has never written an article critical of the Palestinians, and you quote her as an authority on who’s to blame? She also just happens to be a friend of Chomsky. I wonder if she has an agenda? Sumud?

• Cliff
      June 24, 2012, 9:20 pm

Stop whining, Zionist. The pro-Palestinian perspective is not dominant no matter how deluded you happen to be and no matter how rampant your victim-empowerment-superiority-complex is.

It is Israel that is occupying and colonizing Historic Palestine. It is the Israelis who are stealing Palestinian land. It is worldwide Jewry immigrating to the OT without any connection to the land beyond the abstract to usurp the indigenous population as their own vandal army protects them.

No matter how often you cry and whine, reality won’t simply change.

Just like when Israel demolishes a Palestinian home in the OT – it will never have jurisdiction and legitimacy.

Israel simply has force. Not morals or ethics or democracy or any of that verbiage you and your hate-cult profess you love so much. You thrive on the suffering and misery of others, hence why all the other countries around you are under such turmoil as Israel prospers (and prefers the Arabs to live under dictatorships).

Zionism is bullshit and needs a constant protector (the US or another superpower like China LOL, HENCE the recent hasbara about ancient Jewish-Chinese parallels) and constant reframing/networking.

Just look at yourself and your fellow keyboard warriors like hophmi and fredoblogs. All you do is spout b.s. nonstop and get shut-down over and over. You’re either masochists or anti-Zionists in disguise.

25. Mooser
    June 24, 2012, 7:52 pm

“The Huffington Post get its updates from Mondoweiss, or is it the other way round. You all feed of(sic) each other.”

Help, help, I’m being buried under an avalanche of citations and factual evidence supporting giladg’s contentions!

C’mon giladg, I realise you don’t give a damn about our ethical or moral reputation, but leave us at least the appearance of a normal intelligence.

26. giladg
    June 25, 2012, 12:56 am

I am not going to convince you Mooser. Hopefully others will realize the importance of going to different sources instead of relying on, and quoting from, a system that is hell bent on pushing its agenda, no matter what the real facts are. Those who fear the truth remain within a confined, narrow narrative. That narrative does not blame the Palestinians for anything. When you are able to demonstrate balance, then come talk to us about “normal intelligence”. Until then, both your ethical and moral reputation stink.

• alec
      June 25, 2012, 5:19 pm

Oh yes, gilad the bloody, Israel doesn’t get a fair hearing in English language press. It’s the first thing that hits me between the eyes when I open my NY Times every morning or turn on the television: the unjust coverage Israel faces.

Farcical.

Have you considered a career as a clown? Much more suited to your talents than world events commentator.

June 25, 2012, 7:32 pm

Give an example where the NYT blames the Palestnians and not Israel, and don’t give us the “both sides must do more” thing.

• Hostage
        June 26, 2012, 3:16 am

and don’t give us the “both sides must do more” thing.

Well it’s immoral to say that Palestinians have to do anything to earn fundamental human rights, but the NY Times has been making those infuriating remarks for decades.

Here’s an article where Ethan Bronner was still repeating the blood libel that Gazans were responsible for the August attack in the Eilat area, although the IDF had already admitted that the attackers were members of a Sinai Jihadi group:

An Israeli official said on Tuesday that Israel had sent a letter of apology to Egypt for the deaths of several of its troops by Israeli forces chasing Palestinian militants into Sinai in August.

link to nytimes.com

Here is an article that doesn’t even use the word “illegal” much less inform readers that the acquisition of territory by war is inadmissible or that Israelis can’t retain territory if the Palestinians have said “No”. link to nytimes.com

Six weeks after Presidential candidate Rick Santorum had been running-off at the mouth claiming that the West Bank was part of Israel, that everyone living there was Israeli, and comparing the territories to Texas and New Mexico, the New York Times had still not informed the readers of their newspaper about that fact. They belatedly ran a story on a NY Times online blog. link to thelede.blogs.nytimes.com

That sort of coverage is misinformation and barely concealed propaganda.

June 26, 2012, 5:55 am

Hostage, surely you can do better than the examples you supplied? The first example involved Israeli’s riding on a public bus, and in private vehicles close to the bus, who were gunned down and murdered. Yet the reports focused on the Egyptian soldiers who died in the aftermath whilst Israeli soldiers arrived later in an attempt to find the killers. The story should have been about the initial bus attack, but was not. Palestinians from Gaza have been proven to have been involved in many attacks from the Sinai via Gaza.
        Your second example has the heading “Israelis say ..” . Now I don’t know about you, but I managed to work out quite quickly that the article was not an opinion piece from the NYT. Maybe I have greater powers of deduction? It’s probably something else. And your third example is from a blogger where the official policy of the NYT is that the opinions of bloggers to not reflect those of the paper. And who reads those blogs anyway. I am talking about newspaper editorials, in your face articles both in the printed version and on articles directly linked to the homepage. I am also talking about events that have shaped the Middle East where no fault is placed squarely at the feet of the Palestinians, and interestingly enough, no demands nor calls for real concession for the purpose of reaching a peace agreement are placed on them either.

• alec
        June 26, 2012, 8:11 am

Oh no, don’t tell me that not every article in the NY Times blames the Palestinians for every event in the Middle East.

I am also talking about events that have shaped the Middle East where no fault is placed squarely at the feet of the Palestinians, and interestingly enough, no demands nor calls for real concession for the purpose of reaching a peace agreement are placed on them.

The NY Times is clearly anti-Israel as not every article blames the Palestinians for Israeli crimes. Blame the victim – it’s giladg’s way of life. Used to work great in rape cases too.

• eljay
        June 26, 2012, 8:48 am

>> … Maybe I have greater powers of deduction? … I am also talking about events that have shaped the Middle East where no fault is placed squarely at the feet of the Palestinians …

You may have greater powers of deduction (unlikely, but not impossible), but your powers of reading and comprehension are seriously lacking if you sincerely think that no fault for events in the I-P conflict is ever placed squarely at the feet of the Palestinians.

>> … and interestingly enough, no demands nor calls for real concession for the purpose of reaching a peace agreement are placed on them either.

Interestingly enough – but in no way surprising – you expect “real concessions” not from the oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and supremacist state that illegally, immorally and brutally controls Palestine, but from the terrorized, cleansed and still-oppressed victims of that supremacist state.

Go figure.

June 26, 2012, 10:04 am

Jews have no confidence, and for good reason, that after concessions are made to the Palestinians that reciprocal, equal weighted concessions can be expected in return. In fact, history has proven the opposite. Take leaving Gaza as a clear example. The PLO, with Arafat, did not even change their charter. They pulled the wool over Clinton’s eyes and the left government at the time in Israel shoved this bluff down the throats of Israeli’s. Behind closed doors with nobody listening, Abbas will wink at you and collaborate this “minor” detail. The desire to wipe Israel off the map is near the top of the agenda and has always been there for the Palestinians and the Muslim Brotherhood. Liberal Jews in NY may not believe this. Some Israeli’s don’t believe this either. But these same Israeli’s have been proven wrong, time and again. Until such a time when Jews feel that the Arabs and Muslims are ready to live with a Jewish Israel, it is absolute stupidity to negotiate with the Arabs about what type of execution is to be carried out against Jews. Yes dramatic, but true. Without confronting the Palestinians on responsibility for their mistakes, you are just enabling them to think and plan on how to destroy Israel. Do you remember Arafat’s Salami speech?
        In the Columbia circles its not fashionable to even consider my words as being remotely connected to reality. The privileges you enjoy in NY and San Fransisco give you the sick platform to look down at others whilst you search out the meaning of life and attacking Israel is so “in”.

• seafoid
        June 26, 2012, 10:36 am

Gilad

Gaza is a concentration camp.
        Denying children food isn’t “concessionary”.

Get off your high horse and cop on.

• Hostage
        June 26, 2012, 10:42 am

Take leaving Gaza as a clear example.

All of us here know that your government intended to turn Gaza into a Bantustan. Construction began on the perimeter fence shortly after the Oslo Accords were signed. It really isn’t a concession when you persecute Palestinians continuously in large open air prisons. When you stop doing that come back and discuss any real concessions that you’ve ever made.

• eljay
        June 26, 2012, 10:58 am

>> Until such a time when Jews feel that the Arabs and Muslims are ready to live with a Jewish Israel, it is absolute stupidity to negotiate with the Arabs about what type of execution is to be carried out against Jews.

So…until “Arabs and Muslims” are ready to accept a supremacist state and forego all they have lost to it, Israel will simply have to keep oppressing, stealing, colonizing, destroying and murdering. And whining all the while about how everyone hates them for their freedoms and wants to push them into the sea and wipe them off the map.

Aggressor-victimhood truly is a tough gig. :-(

>> The pseudo liberal would do much better pushing the Palestinians to accept a Jewish Israel.

Jewish Israel is a supremacist construct. No one should be pushing anyone to accept it – least of all the Palestinians, who continue to be brutalized by it.

On the other hand, a secular, democratic and egalitarian Israel – a state of and for all Israelis, equally – is something that I think people should be willing to accept.

• mig
        June 26, 2012, 11:13 am

giladg :

What those “concessions” might be this time ?

It has changed. “Affirms that those articles of the PLO Covenant which deny Israel’s right to exist are now inoperative and no longer valid;”

link to mfa.gov.il

Enemy at the gates, yes. Horrible. How can you even live under such a threat.

Believe is usually matter of religion.

Jewish Israel LOL.

Wonderful people in Columbia, can still live in reality, while you dont.

Well, we know that “sickness” you are livin.

Israel has been accepted long time ago. Definitions we leave to state of Israel. Its not the job of “pseudo liberals” or palestinians.

June 26, 2012, 12:04 pm

I remember a time when hundreds of thousands of Palestinians from Gaza worked in Israel and took home well earned money. Something must have happened? What could it be? They chose the road to take. They have a border with Egypt and the West Bank Palestinians hate those from Gaza, and visa -versa, so take your concentration lie and feed it to someone else.

June 26, 2012, 12:06 pm

Not true regarding the fence with Gaza.

• Woody Tanaka
        June 26, 2012, 12:09 pm

“Something must have happened?”

Yeah, the Jews started to invade and steal Gaza, too, just like they invaded and stole the West Bank portion of Palestine.

• Shmuel
        June 26, 2012, 12:16 pm

Ah yes, the good old days, when Palestinians knew their place and did as they were told.

June 26, 2012, 1:29 pm

The situation for everyone, Jews and Arabs, can become a lot worse than they are today. Nobody is giving you any guarantees Shmuel, so I suggest you climb down from your high horse. You then need to ask the question. Are the Palestinians in Gaza better off today than they were in “those” times?

• Shmuel
        June 26, 2012, 1:35 pm

Yep, everyone was better off when Palestinians just accepted the natural order of things. I’ll let others draw the historical parallels.

• Hostage
        June 26, 2012, 1:50 pm

Not true regarding the fence with Gaza.

From Maj. Gen. (res.) Doron Almog, “Lessons of the Gaza Security Fence for the West Bank, JCPA:

As a Gaza Strip division commander between 1994 and 1996, I was involved in building the fence separating Gaza from Israel.

Israel built a 60-kilometer fence around the Gaza Strip shortly after the implementation of Oslo, and we lost most of it at the beginning of the latest intifada. The intifada began on September 28, 2000.

During my time as Commander of Southern Command in the years 2000-2003, there were more than 400 attempts by Palestinians to cross the boundaries of the Gaza Strip, all of which failed. There are a number of key reasons for this:

Our first move was to rebuild the fence, which took six months from December 2000 to June 2001.

link to jcpa.org

June 26, 2012, 4:13 pm

Prior to the electronic fence mentioned above, there was a basic fence. In any case, Gaza has always been a violent place. When Egypt controlled the strip they ruled with an iron fist. When they issued curfews and the residents of Gaza tried to leave their homes, they were mowed down with machine guns by the Egyptians. The Egyptians could not get out of there fast enough.

June 26, 2012, 4:32 pm

And another thing, if you look at the 1947 UN Partition Plan, which the Arabs rejected, Gaza is sectioned off. Had the Palestinians not opted for violence, the Oslo Accords had a secure above ground/below ground highway planned from the Gaza to the West Bank. This can still one day be built but only when the radicals learn to live with Jews instead of committing to Jihad to destroy the Jewish State. Why is this hard to understand?

June 26, 2012, 4:37 pm

Tell that to the Muslim Brotherhood Eljay. The lifespan of an egalitarian is not long in the Middle East with the equivalent being Gaddafi, Mubarak and soon to be gone Assad. You want the Jews to be secular and egalitarian. Go tell that to the Muslims. Your selective demands on Israel only are both dangerous and limited.
        In Cairo the so called liberal, democratic egalitarian students who were at the forefront of the Tahrir Sqr riots, where are they today?

• Hostage
        June 26, 2012, 5:11 pm

Yeah spin, spin, spin. The Oslo Accords required Israel to treat Gaza and the West Bank as a single entity for political, legal, economic, and other purposes. But Israel always treated Gaza as a fenced-off isolated Bantustan.

• Hostage
        June 26, 2012, 5:14 pm

I’ve forgotten more about the 1947 UN Partition Plan than you ever knew in the first place. It provided the right of transit to the citizens of both states and the Corpus Separatum.

• seafoid
        June 26, 2012, 5:33 pm

“only when the radicals learn to live with Jews”

More BS. The Palestinians aren’t even allowed to use the same roads as Jews. Israeli Jews have average income that is 20 times that of Palestinians living under the Jewish heel.
        Jews like that. Which is why there will never be a meaningful peace involving the Israeli settler state.

• seafoid
        June 26, 2012, 5:42 pm

The ultra Orthodox are the Jewish version of of the Brotherhood. They all hate women.
        Try and put up a poster of a woman in Mea Sharim and see what happens.
        Women are put on earth to serve their men and to get pregnant- that is the halacha and that is what the Brothers insist on too

• eljay
        June 26, 2012, 7:31 pm

>> The lifespan of an egalitarian is not long in the Middle East with the equivalent being Gaddafi, Mubarak and soon to be gone Assad.

Not exactly what I’d call egalitarian. No wonder you think Israel is a “liberal democracy”.

>> You want the Jews to be secular and egalitarian. … Your selective demands on Israel …

I want everyone to be secular and egalitarian. You don’t. You want Israel to be a supremacist “Jewish State” and you’re happy to use whatever examples of immorality and injustice you can find to bolster your argument.

Like all Zio-supremacists, you reach for the bottom of the barrel when it comes to morality and justice.

“Israel: We may not be as good as the best but, hey, at least we’re not as bad as the worst!” (TM)

Something a guy like you can really be proud of.

June 30, 2012, 7:08 am

Until such a time when Christians feel that the Jews and Muslims are ready to live with a Christian America, it is absolute stupidity to negotiate with the Jews about what type of execution is to be carried out against Christians.

July 4, 2012, 9:54 am

Regarding the change to the Palestinian National Charter and the PLO Covenant, I challenge you “mig” to find official versions that state that the clauses denying Israel’s right to exist have been removed and/or rejected. The day will come when the Palestinians will refer to that letter sent to Rabin and say that it was just that, a letter, and they will say it was sent to entrap Israel. Islam teaches that it is okay to lie in order to defeat the enemy.
        Israel has many different voices within. The person/s who wrote the web page you linked to is expressing their beliefs in conjunction with their agenda. This is what happens in democracies and in this case, it is unfortunate.

• mig
        July 4, 2012, 2:28 pm

giladg:

So that Israel government site still wasn’t good enough ? If even that doesn’t convince you, lets leave this matter right here then. I could of course provide here multiple pages, but i know for sure that all of those would not be enough in any case. Believe what you believe, fine by me.

link to mfa.gov.il

Islam teaches that it is okay to lie in order to defeat the enemy.

Blablablaa. Here is news for you, over 2000 years old : ” All warfare is based on deception, Sun Tzu.

In your own government pages ? Wow. Now you don’t believe even your own government sites. And you ask me to provide something ? Sorry, i have better things to do than provide info for you which would be in ANY case useless. All The Best, honest.

• alec
        July 4, 2012, 5:21 pm

Your protests sound like the cries of a paranoid racist hypocrite.

I’m sure you didn’t mean them to sound that way.

• ColinWright
        July 5, 2012, 1:17 am

“…Islam teaches that it is okay to lie in order to defeat the enemy.
        Israel has many different voices within…”

What does Judaism teach? Or would that be an anti-semitic remark?

• ColinWright
        July 5, 2012, 1:21 am

‘They chose the road to take.’

As I recall, Sharon helped them to make the right choice.

• Sibiriak
        July 5, 2012, 1:34 am

Btw, have the clauses denying a Palestinian state’s right to existence ever been removed from the Likud’s charter? (Not a rhetorical question.)

• Ellen
        July 5, 2012, 8:31 am

Gilad,

Aside from the tone and name calling, your statement is interesting. How can Israel consider itself a modern state and at the same time define itself as only “Jewish,” whatever that may mean?

Why should a people who have lived in the region be “pushed” to accept a a religious nationalism, where the non-Jew is “pushed” out of civil life with a reduced status?

Do you hear your words? Do you understand what they really mean?

I know these are the same words of the Israeli government and that is why so many Americans are horrified that our government supports this with so much “aid.” It has exposed the fallacy of the pretend US foreign policy.

The consequences of assuring that Israel remain “rein” or pure, assures a future ghettoization. (a narrow group of people living among themselves in fear of the “other” as social development is retarded.) Something most Jews do and will reject.

Israel is not about Judaism.

July 6, 2012, 7:44 pm

“Blame the victim – it’s giladg’s way of life.”

Remember, all Giladg knows is communist Russia, and now Israel. Yes, sir, he is the guy I’m gonna get my political and ethical analysis from! He wouldn’t know what human rights were if they bit him in the ass, something I sincerely hope they will do, someday.

• Danaa
        July 2, 2012, 4:38 pm

alec, I submitted one of giladg’s comments as an entry to TNY fiction parody MW contest (with a little editing – language, you know). It was that good!

Actually, I am thinking of collating giladg’s great works and turning into a pamphlet. Hope Hasbara central will be a willing – and well-paying – publisher.

Them after being suitably compensated, me thinks I’ll try for a sequel, called something like – “Gilad and giladg – a two-edged Middle eastern Sword – guess which end is blant?”.”

July 4, 2012, 7:03 pm

When the personal attacks start, you know that you are doing something right. I am sorry Danaa that my often poor use of the English language is more important than the message itself. Of course you must be on a higher intellectual plane. Did you study at Columbia or was it Harvard? Who knows, maybe if you did do a study of my posts, you may learn something about the conflict your elite education chose not to expose you to?

• alec
        July 4, 2012, 7:32 pm

What would that be giladg? That some people are ubermenschen and some people are untermenschen and that is the way of the world?

Thanks for the lesson in bigotry and racial supremacism. As if just 72 years later, we needed another lesson.

• Danaa
        July 4, 2012, 7:55 pm

giladg darlin’ – I actually studied first at the illustrious Hebrew Univ of Jerusalem. Very elite (am sure you heard of it). Of course, I then moved on to all sort of great institutions in The New Word, though alas, Harvard/Columbia were not among them. Did not mean to cast aspersions upon your linguistic powers, only fixed the context, as I thought your comment made a fitting parody of itself – no mean feat, that.

Com’on now – take it as a compliment! some are not even editable – yours did not require much….

July 4, 2012, 8:39 pm

• eljay
        July 4, 2012, 11:19 pm

>> When the personal attacks start, you know that you are doing something right.

The more likely explanation is this: When the personal attacks start, you know that it’s because you’re a hateful and immoral Zio-supremacist who advocates for Israel as an oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and supremacist “Jewish State” rather than as a secular, democratic and egalitarian Israeli state of and for all Israelis, equally.

• Blake
        July 5, 2012, 1:09 am

Giladg: That free plot of land with home confiscated from the real owner makes you the victim and right? Seriously no conscience.

• Shingo
        July 5, 2012, 2:20 am

When the personal attacks start, you know that you are doing something right.

Yes, like when you stall being called an anti Semite.

• Woody Tanaka
        July 5, 2012, 8:41 am

“It’s called forcing one to take responsibility for prior actions, and not wiping the slate clean, especially regarding the multiple times war and terror have been forced on Israel. Reading this site leaves one with the impression that Arabs and Muslims can do no wrong.

You’re such a hypocrite, giladg. You decry Arabs and Muslims for supposedly not taking responsibility for their past actions and suggesting they do no wrong, and then you completely white-wash the situation and paint the primary agressors — the zionist Jews and state of israel — as helpless innocent victims. Don’t point out the mote in someone else’s eye until you attend to the beam in yours.

July 5, 2012, 10:46 am

As I said Danaa, you need to be on some higher plane to see the humor in seeing someone rot in jail for over 25 years. The judge in the case subsequently died. So did Casper Weinberger. One would think that your superior intellectual status and education should bring you to the conclusion that a letter shared between now two dead individuals, that had such dramatic impact on someones life, can and should be made public 25 years after the event. The whole thing is a coverup and I fail to see the funny side, even if I did supply you an easy target to be used as amusement between yourself and your elitist friends. I am referring to Jonathan Pollard, for those who are unsure of the background to this exchange.

As my first concern if for Pollard, I am willing to bare the embarrassment of my non Shakespearean approach to my posts. In this regard, here is the latest comment from James Woolsey in the Wall Street Journal
        Woolsey on Pollard

July 5, 2012, 11:02 am

giladg, if “Reading this tiny little (in terms of audience) web site leaves one with the impression that Arabs and Muslims can do no wrong,” how do you characterize reading the US mainstream media concerning Israel, and listening to 99% of US politicians on the same subject? Which is the mountain, which the molehill, comparatively speaking? I can’t wait for your measured and objective response.

July 5, 2012, 12:27 pm

Citizen, the truth should be your guiding light, not trying to find a balance to something you don’t like. The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable as many of your perceived ideas on how right and how just the Palestinian struggle is, are simply not true. I call for truth and responsibility on both sides. An essential element of the truth is to take a hard look at history and to use past actions to help make decisions impacting today and tomorrow. I am sorry, I cannot turn the other cheek when it comes to the wars and violence that have been forced on Israel. I cannot turn the other cheek when someone denies my right to exist in my historic homeland and wages war me. Turning the other cheek is Christian thing. Israel cannot afford to lose the war. One loss and it will be destroyed. It is not about apartheid. It is not about dominating others. It is not about showing you are superior to anyone else. I would even support a one state solution but only if you recognize my Jewish history and heritage. If you continue to deny my legitimacy and threaten my people, then I’ll do what needs to be done to fight you and insure you do not get your way.

• Woody Tanaka
        July 5, 2012, 12:38 pm

“One would think that your superior intellectual status and education should bring you to the conclusion that a letter shared between now two dead individuals, that had such dramatic impact on someones life, can and should be made public 25 years after the event.”

Nope. Pollard did enough damage to the USA committing his crime. No need to risk releasing information on sources and methods by releasing this letter. Let Pollard rot until he is dead. He’s lucky he got off so lightly.

“In this regard, here is the latest comment from James Woolsey in the Wall Street Journal”

LMAO!!! You really think someone like Woolsey, a neo-con who was forced to resign in disgrace about his deplorable handling of the Ames spy case is a credible source of opinion regarding the tratior Pollard!?!!??

• eljay
        July 5, 2012, 12:54 pm

>> I call for truth and responsibility on both sides.

How nice! Unfortunately, the Zio-supremacist side cares neither for truth nor for responsibility.

>> An essential element of the truth is to take a hard look at history and to use past actions to help make decisions impacting today and tomorrow.

You can see why Palestinians are hostile toward Israel, whose history and past actions – and ON-GOING actions! – are a catalogue of immorality, injustice, hatred, greed, destruction and supremacism.

>> I am sorry, I cannot turn the other cheek when it comes to the wars and violence that have been forced on Israel.

But you have no trouble turning the other cheek when it comes to the wars and violence Israel forces on others. Oh, that’s right, you don’t actually believe in truth and responsibility.

>> I cannot turn the other cheek when someone denies my right to exist in my historic homeland and wages war me.

Living in Palestine and using terrorism and ethnic cleansing to create a supremacist state in Palestine are two very different things. If you knew anything about truth and responsibility, you’d undertand that.

Your aggressor-victimhood schtick is as dismal as ever.

• Woody Tanaka
        July 5, 2012, 12:58 pm

“I call for truth and responsibility on both sides.”

No you don’t. Not once in all of your teary-eyed laments about your supposed connection to Palestine did you ever once candidly admit the truth: that whatever interest or “right” you believe you might have to and with regard to that land, the Palestinians’ rights and interests trump yours.

When you are willing to at least admit that, then your claims that you and your state is not about apartheid, dominating others, displaying supposed superiority, etc., can be seen as something other than ego-stroking nonsense.

• American
        July 5, 2012, 1:24 pm

“I would even support a one state solution but only if you recognize my Jewish history and heritage. If you continue to deny my legitimacy and threaten my people, then I’ll do what needs to be done to fight you and insure you do not get your way.” …gilad

Recognize your Jewish (or better put, your made up zionist) history and heritage?
        Do you want a crown and scepter for your recognition ceremony…. LOL
        Recongize ME! recongize ME!….
        You have no idea how everything you say on here just reinforces the world’s perception of you as a destructive and mentally deranged supremist cult.

• American
        July 5, 2012, 1:43 pm

“One would think that your superior intellectual status and education should bring you to the conclusion that a letter shared between now two dead individuals, that had such dramatic impact on someones life, can and should be made public 25 years after the event. “…gilad

The probability is the letter contained even more damaging information about Israel and the damage to the US from Pollards betrayal.
        If anything in it was favorable for the Israelis or Pollard the Israel firsters would have founds a way to have it released.
        So be careful what you ask for or you might get it.

July 5, 2012, 4:34 pm

“American”, the world does not need me to reinforce their antisemitic views on Jews and Israel. They manage just fine on their own. It comes naturally.

July 5, 2012, 5:19 pm

Let me tell you something “American”. If you are going to reinforce your opinions on my words, why can you not reinforce them in the other direction on the words of others, who are also pro-Israel, but express their opinions differently? I’ll tell you why. Because you ignore the facts. You are a lazy sob anti-Semite who will always ignore the facts. You only search out avenues to re-enforce your already prejudiced views against Israel and Jews. Are you going to tell us that until you read my words you were a neutral? From your other posts I know exactly what you are.

July 5, 2012, 5:24 pm

giladg, your response does not meet the challenge I posited, which was how can you complain about this tiny samisdat web site, which seeks truth and justice, not Big Zionist Brother, not the Zionist propaganda machine that runs the US MSM, WH, and US Congress when it comes to anything concerning US foreign policy re Israel and/or the I-P conflict? I don’t recognize the truth in your version of Jewish history, nor do I threaten the Jewish people; rather, I uphold the American values contained in our Declaration of Independence, and in the Declaration of Human Rights, and in the humanitarian values of Jesus as told in his story, whether he ever existed or not. Unlike you, I don’t do knee-jerk tribal prejudice and subscribe to a bipolar world view, and I’m not living in the trees with a stone axe in the deepest, most remote jungle of New Guinea.

Also, you forgot, thou shalt not steal. How did it morph for you into “I can steal anything belonging to any Palestinian?

July 5, 2012, 5:37 pm

Recognize Me! recognize Me!…

You have no idea “American” ( or maybe you do if you are Muslim) that Islam is wagging a religious war against Israel and the Jews. The “recognize me” has to do with Islam accepting that there are other legitimate religions on this earth. However, the Koran does not do this as it has been changed during the past 400 years to become far more anti-Semitic than it was 1,000 years ago. The holiest site for Jews has become the number one sought after prize for the Palestinians and the Muslim Brotherhood. The “recognize me” thing is meant for the ignorant, like yourself, to start to try and understand that there is something else going on in the conflict besides a Jewish settlement adding 10 homes or a road that was built to help preserve life. You are being played by the Palestinian propaganda machine as they keep there bigger intentions out of direct sight, for now.

July 5, 2012, 6:12 pm

Tell us Citizen, when was the West Bank ever the Arab Palestinians? Give the years please. Please enlighten us with this information. Try not to leave out any years. And please do not include the years the Jordanians were in control, nor the British, nor the Turks. And after you list the years, give us links to the references.

July 5, 2012, 6:24 pm

giladg, why do you project your own mental process on American? Is that what they taught you wherever you were born and bred? Where is that btw? It’s clear it was not in America, unless in some insular Zionist enclave.

• Hostage
        July 5, 2012, 11:54 pm

LOL! Well then, shouldn’t you ask your government to declassify and publish its archival records about Mr. Pollard first? See “State archives to stay classified for 20 more years, PM instructs”:

Following pressure from intelligence agencies, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has extended the period during which material contained in government archives may remain classified by 20 years.

The new regulations, approved two weeks ago, mean archived material scheduled to become available to scholars and the public after 50 years will now remain in the vaults until 70 years have passed since they were placed there.

link to haaretz.com

You may not have noticed, but we’re all still waiting for the documentary records of the Carter and Reagan administrations to be declassified and published. Some of the FRUS records of the Nixon era were redacted. They contained inline comments which noted the number of lines that remained classified to protect the identity of a source of information, e.g. link to history.state.gov

FYI, The President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992 requires all assassination records be opened to the public no later than the year 2017. However it allows government offices to continue to postpone public release of material in assassination records after the year 2017 if “the President certifies” that (1) “continued postponement is made necessary by an identifiable harm to the military, defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or conduct of foreign relations” and (2) “the identifiable harm is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest in disclosure.”

• Hostage
        July 6, 2012, 12:27 am

Citizen, the truth should be your guiding light, not trying to find a balance to something you don’t like. . . . . I call for truth and responsibility on both sides. I cannot turn the other cheek when someone denies my right to exist in my historic homeland and wages war me.

The Shia of Greater Lebanon have been refusing to turn the other cheek over the seven villages, since 1920. You’ll have to shut-up or put-up. Jewish undercover units, called “The Arabists of the Palmach” or Mista’arvim [literally, “Arab-pretenders”], are known to have been in operation in Palestine and neighboring Arab countries as early as 1942. The purpose of the units, which were part of the Palmach, was to gather intelligence information and carry out assassinations of Arabs, by infiltrating Arab towns and villages disguised as local Arabs. Primarily Jews who originated from Arab countries were recruited to the Mista ‘rivim. — See Targeting To Kill: Israel’s Undercover Units, Elia Zureik and Anita Vitullo, The Palestine Human Rights Information Center (PHRIC)
        *http://www.thejerusalemfund.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/2942
        *http://www.palmach.org.il/show_item.asp?levelId=42858&itemId=9023&itemType=0
        and Zvika Dror, The ’Arabists’ of the Palmach (Hakibbutz Hameuchad Publishing House, 1986)

Why should Arabs turn the other cheek and forget Jews who waged wars on them in their own countries?

• Hostage
        July 6, 2012, 3:56 pm

The Arab Palestinian Congress at Jericho in Decemberof 1948 laid the legal foundation for the brand new political entity that was called “Jordan”.

It was a union between Arab Palestine and Transjordan in which the citizens of the West Bank participated and were represented. For example, the Constitution reserved half the seats of the lower house of Parliament for the elected members from the West Bank.

July 6, 2012, 7:46 pm

Have pity on the guy, see my commenty above. What on earth would he know about freedom, dignity, human rights, etc. The poor schlump never had a chance.

• Sibiriak
        July 6, 2012, 11:23 pm

giladg says: “I am sorry, I cannot turn the other cheek when it comes to the wars and violence that have been forced on Israel. ”

For a more balanced, fact-based perspective, see Zeev Maoz “Defending the Holy Land”.

link to amazon.com

“Most of the wars in which Israel was involved, Maoz shows, were entirely avoidable, the result of deliberate Israeli aggression, flawed decision-making, and misguided conflict management strategies. None, with the possible exception of the 1948 War of Independence, were what Israelis call “wars of necessity.” They were all wars of choice-or, worse, folly.”

giladg says: “I cannot turn the other cheek when someone denies my right to exist in my historic homeland and wages war me. ”

Your right to exist in what you perceive to be your homeland is one thing; your right to ethnically cleanse that terrirtory and deny Palestinian rights is something else entirely, imo.

July 7, 2012, 1:38 am

giladg, the West Bank has been populated mostly by native Arabs, not Jews, for thousands of years; you have no such natural right to be there any more than some Jew from Brooklyn.

July 10, 2012, 7:05 am

The native Arabs have rights to their homes, villages and farms but not to the entire region. For the entire period during the thousands of years, the local Arabs retained local, family loyalties and only during the past 100 years or so, did they start to develop a collective identity.
        Most of the settlements were built on land either purchased or not belonging to anyone. Some of the settlements were built on the sites of terrorist attacks carried out by Palestinians on Jews in an attempt to curb such attacks. True democracies do not have many tools to defend themselves. This was one such tool out a very short list.

• Woody Tanaka
        July 10, 2012, 10:07 am

“only during the past 100 years or so, did they start to develop a collective identity.”

And 100 years ago most of the ancestors of the modern-day israeli Jews were in Europe or North America. So get the hell off the Palestinians’ land.

July 10, 2012, 12:02 pm

Interesting supremacist philosophy, giladg has, eh? One has no individual rights, but only collectivist rights. Palestinians could live there for thousands of years, but until they from a common solidarity front against the European Jewish colonial predators, they don’t exist. Didn’t Hitler think the same way? Anyway, giladg sure has no respect for American values, that’s for sure, nor for the European Enlightenment from which our founding fathers drew their highest aspirations.

• Hostage
        July 10, 2012, 4:21 pm

LOL! Haaretz reports that the government has never accepted the recommendation that Jews’ ‘Ethnic’ Category [be] Scrapped for Testing:
        Intermarriage Between Jewish Groups Makes Question Useless
        link to forward.com

Of course you still can’t get them to eat from one another’s tables.

July 6, 2012, 7:19 pm

“is hell bent on pushing its agenda, no matter what the real facts are.”

Okay, Giladg has caught us fair and square, and it’s time to ‘fess up. Although we may not agree on things like personal hygeine, I concur with Giladg, there’s an agenda here, and after a year or so of reading, I think I can articulate it:

Mondoweiss seems dedicated to the idea that living is better than dieing.
      Mondoweiss is always pushing the idea that peace is better than war, and that facts are better than lies.

That’s about the biggest agenda I can find here. The place isn’t even (if you bother to read the site) anti-Zionist.

27. Hostage
    June 26, 2012, 7:54 am

Hostage, surely you can do better than the examples you supplied?

Giladg, minutes after the attack, the Israel Defense Minister murdered some Gazans who were not actively participating in any hostilities. He ordered a retaliatory bombing attack against the Palestinians, when in fact none were involved in the Egyptian attack. The New York Times was showing extreme bias by repeating a blood libel that had been used to justify murders. That’s something most Jews never accept when the tables are turned. See
    *IDF mum on Eilat attacks that justified Gaza bombing
    link to 972mag.com
    *New York Times’ Ethan Bronner still falsely blaming August Eilat attack on Palestinians
    link to electronicintifada.net

The rest of your analysis is drivel. The New York Times isn’t supposed to be an echo chamber for the ridiculous things that Israelis say. But it all too often acts like one and passes on ludicrous Israeli positions and arguments without any comment. At the same time, it often conceals major stories, like the one I cited involving a leading Presidential candidate. That foreign policy position belonged on the NY Times frontpage, not on one of its blogs.

• Talkback
      June 26, 2012, 1:54 pm

Hostage says: Giladg, minutes after the attack, the Israel Defense Minister murdered some Gazans who were not actively participating in any hostilities. He ordered a retaliatory bombing attack against the Palestinians, when in fact none were involved in the Egyptian attack.”

State terrorism?

28. chinese box
    July 5, 2012, 1:13 pm

I intend to donate to this site, but can anyone provide a list of other reputable and efffective orgs to donate to, for those of us who won’t be on the front lines in Palestine demonstrating? I donated a to UNHCR some years ago but I don’t know whether that’s actually making a difference or not.

Is it possible to donate to BDS, for example?

• alec
      July 5, 2012, 1:35 pm

Another dark secret of the occupation. The Israelis and their American lackies have made it almost impossible to donate to the front lines (via bank freezes). Any organization however innocuous is labelled as terrorist.

And if you do manage to donate, the Israelis will blow it up or destroy it (EU infrastructure projects). Mafia tactics.

If there is a god in the heavens, these SOB’s won’t enjoy what’s coming to them in the after life.

• MHughes976
        July 5, 2012, 1:57 pm

But perhaps the afterlife, which may not exist, can be contemplated with little concern if this life, which certainly exists, is going really well for you here and now.

• American
      July 5, 2012, 1:36 pm

@ chinese box

Donate to link to councilforthenationalinterest.org and link to irmep.org for the two who do the legal work against AIPAC and the political work, and also Meda at Code Pink who gets in AIPAC and politicians faces.

• alec
      July 5, 2012, 1:46 pm

On a more positive note, Medecins sans Frontieres does sometimes manage to get the odd project through. When MSF tried to help in Gaza after Operation Cast Lead, their operations were obstructed.

Revenge for helping Gazan Palestinians was swift in coming. Accusations of anti-Semitism and smearing of the entire MSF organization.

in the summer of 2010, a fuel tanker exploded in a village in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), resulting in the deaths 269 people and leaving many more severely burned. MSF’s surgical team worked closely with a surgical team from Israel’s Sheba Medical Centre to provide burn care to survivors of the explosion. Although neither team voiced complaints about the other, MSF was later accused of anti-Semitism by a journalist who was in DRC reporting on the disaster at the time. MSF thoroughly investigated the claims and established they were baseless. The leader of the Israeli team furthermore rejected the journalist’s story and reassured MSF that the groups had enjoyed a positive working relationship in DRC. Despite this, a viral email campaign against MSF on the subject continues, much to the detriment of the organization. The pressure in such emergency situations is high enough on its own; however, when unfounded criticism continues to be perpetuated, it is not only unjust for the staff and patients directly involved, but it is a frustration for the field workers around the world who strive every day to save as many lives as possible.

MSF Canada Annual report 2010.

For about two years MSF was shut out of Israel for saving Gazans.

• MRW
        July 6, 2012, 10:13 pm

“When MSF tried to help in Gaza after Operation Cast Lead, their operations were obstructed.”

Thank Bernard-Henri Lévy. Kushner too. (Or is it Kouchar?)

29. chinese box
    July 5, 2012, 2:28 pm

@American Thanks, I’ll check those out.

@Alec: the tactics certainly are loathsome. But I think BDS genuinely frightens them, although they’ll never admit it. They know that they’re fighting a rearguard action at this point. Time is not on their side, unless they find a way to expel all or most of the Palestinians from the WB (I think that prospect has been mentioned by another poster here). I’d like to think the US wouldn’t allow that but I’m not so sure anymore.

30. Mooser
    July 9, 2012, 9:44 pm

Phil, if the Mater is not a subscriber, don’t you think you should hustle on down to the newstand and make sure she gets a copy of that issue?