The blatancy of apartheid

flags
Flags over the crowds going to pray at Al-Aqsa

I’m no stranger to Israel and Palestine, still what shocks me about coming here is how blatant the system of unfairness is. Why is this not utterly familiar to me? I wonder. Why don’t Americans see this every day in the news? What kind of fairyland image are we getting of this place, and why? Or as the Canadian Christian pilgrim said to me last night leaving Qalandiya checkpoint, “What endless humiliation. And why is it such an open secret back home?” So everything here brings me back to the American denial, our blindered media, and to American Jewish identity and the lies that American Jews have told one another for generations.

A few impressions of the blatancy. I flew into Ben Guiron from Newark and my flight was mostly Jewish. There were no Palestinians or Arabs on the flight, as far as I could see. The sense was reinforced at Ben-Gurion. I saw no women wearing hijab, the customary form of dress in this part of the world. The shuttle I rode into Jerusalem had ten passengers, mostly American Jews, two binational Israeli American girls, a Christian tourist and an international aid type. This last passenger was dropped at Qalandiya checkpoint to go on to Ramallah. “Is this a hospital?” the orthodox girl in the front row asked. A reminder that the Palestinian reality is sealed off from Israelis, and also that Qalandiya is a vast bureaucratic complex in benign disguise, a border crossing that keeps the subject population Over There. “A lot of the Arabs throw rocks, that is why they put this up,” an older Jew who fought in the 48 war explained to his wife as we passed along the wall.

After I checked into my hotel in the Old City, I ran into Jeff Halper of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions. He pointed out the flags above on a dwelling in the Muslim Quarter and said that I was witnessing the process of the Judaization of the Old City and of East Jeursalem generally, Jews cordoning off the holy city. My picture is of Muslims going to the Al Aqsa mosque to pray under these flags. They are reminded of who is boss at every turn.

I have been through Qalandiya twice in the last day and cannot convey what a dreary oppressive experience this is. Long lines of people made to walk in a wide muddy circle past the neverending re-arranged concrete walls, one of which has Fuck You as an eloquent graffiti. The soldiers stand at huge concrete cubes that the bulldozers have placed just so, a couple-hips’-width apart, and stop us at three points on our way in. Women and men are separated, in a fashion that has ghoulish echoes of the worst moments of Jewish history.

Oh but now we have power, now we are in history. This is what thrills American Jews and neocons, our moment. Powerful people do screwed up things.

But all the while my heart is with the Palestinians around me. The men are all gleaming and bathed and fresh. It is Ramadan. They wear nice clothes. They meet your eyes in a welcoming fashion but no one is ingratiating. It is too humbling for anyone to say anything, where are you from? Welcome, which they say in ordinary circumstances. While in the Old City, in the Ramadan crowds that inch packed and dangerous toward the mosque, there are always men at the side spraying water on as you walk by. Tossing it from bottles, spraying it with sprayers, to cool you down. A lovely gesture of community, in which I am included.

I know there is a strong Jewish community a few hundred yards away. It has its own beauties and fellowship and loving embrace. But pardon me if I can’t find my way there right now. I was raised as a Jewish outsider in America, and my spirit gravitates toward the outsiders here.

The largest impression of all: These people have no freedom of movement. It takes hours to make a 10 mile trip, and none of the thoughtful city planning that Jews get in West Jerusalem is extended to the Palestinians. No, they must be constrained at every turn, and choked, so they want to fly away. I would fly away. I’d move to the Gulf, I’d go to Europe, I’d give up.

And again what I find staggering is that we have so little understanding of this reality in the west. I am witnessing apartheid. I cannot think of any other term that so describes the systematic separation of people by race /ethnicity/religion, and the subjugation of one ethnicity to another. Whatever the glories of Zionism in Jewish history, a case I’m more than willing to make, this is where it ground itself out, a boot in the face of a civilized people.

So yes I blame the media. I blame the Times for running Richard Goldstone’s farcical claim that apartheid is a slander rather than Stephen Roberts’s cleareyed piece in the Nation that this is apartheid on steroids. I blame the Israel lobby for enforcing blindness to these conditions, I blame the politicians for accepting the blinders. I blame the Phildelphia Inquirer for saying the other day that a one state future is “untenable,” when what is happening before our eyes is atrocity on atrocity. I blame the Jewish community for lying about what is happening here endlessly, destroying our intellectual inheritance, in the belief that it is good for the Jews. It is a disaster for Jews. It is a disgrace that Americans will one day have university courses and museum exhibits to try to explain to one another when the next generation wakes up to this madnesss and responds with appropriate fury.

1. radii
    July 28, 2012, 5:05 am

“I blame the Jewish community for lying about what is happening here endlessly, destroying our intellectual inheritance, in the belief that it is good for the Jews. It is a disaster for Jews.”

This is why your site and your passion is so important, Phil. Nearly all who participate here and elsewhere to stop the serial war-crime that is zionism are trying to save the Jews, yet again, but this time from their own crazies. It is power-mad zionist Jews who have become so intoxicated from their own hubris that they see only their grand plan (greater israel) and not the destruction it creates as it unfolds – the destruction like fractures in the ground, growing … growing … leading back to their home and undermining the whole place

• Citizen
      July 28, 2012, 10:14 am

@ radii

I also blame America, the 98% non-Jewish part of it, because one day America will wake up to find the full extent of this subject on-going disaster, but it will be too late, not only for the Jews, but for All Americans. Not to mention the world as a whole. America, after all, has some claims of intellectual inheritance also, the most obvious, the values embodied in America’s Declaration Of Independence, and the checks and balance system provided by its Constitution, including the Bill of Civil Rights inherent in many of its Amendments. How many countries have used those founding documents as models? Who aspired to more, and did more for humanity than America in the only two world wars in human history? And now America is regressing, using Israel as its model for its foreign relations and policy, using a rogue state as its model, and putting that tiny rogue state first–thanks to the power of money in a de facto plutocratic system. America is now a “beef stew,” not a melting pot or salad–a beef stew where the beef chunks are AIPAC et al, and the potatoes chunks are our 1 % partnered government and corporate oligarchy. The 99% balance of the American stew is barely visible when you stir it, and hardly noticed when you spoon it in–like savory vapor. This broth is not comfort food.

• Annie Robbins
        July 28, 2012, 11:39 am

citizen,i blame the 98% too, in a very big way.

• Exiled At Home
        July 28, 2012, 11:50 am

The notion that we do what we do, say what we say, and continue to press for openness, justice and peace is all some concerted effort to save the image of Judaism is a disgustingly narrow-minded and typically ethno-centric Jewish perspective.

I do what I do, say what I say, and press for openness, justice and peace because it’s the right thing to do, it’s the only thing to do, if I want to consider myself a responsible part of humanity. I do what I do for Palestine, for the Palestinians. Nothing more.

• Theo
        July 28, 2012, 12:31 pm

I already tried to talk about this subject with otherwise intelligent people.
        Forget it, 60 years of indocrination made it impossible to get most to listen.
        You would have the same experience telling that after all the USA is not the best, freest and most democratic country on the globe. They would call the FBI!

July 28, 2012, 2:07 pm

“I also blame America, the 98% non-Jewish part of it, because one day America will wake up to find the full extent of this subject on-going disaster, but it will be too late, not only for the Jews, but for All Americans…”

Ditto. Sadly, the Jews can’t hog this one.

The rest of us are responsible as well — if anything, more responsible, since a certain tribalism in the Jewish response to this is understandable. It merely demonstrates they’re no better than anyone else.

What excuse can American gentiles offer?

July 30, 2012, 12:12 pm

“What excuse can American gentiles offer?”

The best excuse in the world, the one which never fails! ‘The Jews made us do it!’

My, Colin, you have a very low opinion of Gentile intelligence. You think they can’t come up with that?

• American
        July 28, 2012, 12:42 pm

I blame the 98% also.
        To a degree.
        And I say ‘to a degree’ because I blame the media more.
        I’ve personally seen the outraged reactions of some regular people-citizens when they learn about some of the Israeli-US-I/P stuff the US media has hidden from them.

• Charles Barwin
        July 28, 2012, 3:35 pm

Agreed. Most of the 98.5% want to do and think the right thing. They honestly believe that attacks on any group of Jews is anti-Semitic, and they pat themselves on the back for keeping a closed mind and remembering the Holocaust.

The first big step to breaking through the cradle-to-grave indoctrination is getting them to realize who exactly controls each of the media conglomerates, which presents a huge obstacle in itself.

“Jews dominate the media” is one of those eternal anti-Semitic lies, no matter how true.

We need more Oliver Stone’s, not less. If any large minority of Jews really opposes Zionism and the war-mongering Israel lobby, they need to speak out and show gentiles that it is okay and responsible to do so.

crickets.

• Roya
        July 28, 2012, 5:25 pm

Same.
        Media is 100% complicit which is why when stories like this (“US sees Israel, tight Mideast ally, as spy threat” from the AP today) pop up once in a blue moon it is a real treat.

July 29, 2012, 2:17 am

“…And I say ‘to a degree’ because I blame the media more.
        I’ve personally seen the outraged reactions of some regular people-citizens when they learn about some of the Israeli-US-I/P stuff the US media has hidden from them…”

Maybe people know they don’t want to look.

Something similar happened in Germany during the Holocaust. ‘But we didn’t know!’

Yeah — and you made sure not to ask. I’d say a lot of us are doing the same thing, to a certain degree. Obviously, the ‘we’ is a bit misplaced here — but do we actually want to know — or do we prefer the version we’re fed?

• MRW
        July 29, 2012, 5:37 am

RIght now Romney is in Jerusalem at a fundraiser for, ostensibly, American donors. It is closed to the press.

What is he promising? What is he saying he will do as an American president that only 50 American donors can hear, including Adelson?

Is he promising war with Iran? Is he promising to commit troops to Syria? Is he promising more money to Israel when US citizens are suffering economically? To modernize their nuclear capability? Increase military spending? What? What is he promising? And why isn’t the American press all over this like white on rice?

What is he promising to American donors in Israel, on foreign soil, that the American public is precluded from knowing?

What?
        _____________________

The lack of outrage over this stuns me. Republicans have wasted valuable legislative time and air for three years screeching for a long-form birth certificate that has the Stanley Ann Obama doctor’s signature on it, Obama’s footprint, and something that passes their PDF-creation layers test (even though they understand zip about high-qualty PDF that can be opened in the Adobe Creative Suite). This gets airplay. Where is the outrage over possible presidential promises that can put American kids in a grave?

• American
        July 29, 2012, 12:08 pm

“Maybe people know they don’t want to look.”..Colin

I’m not so sure about that. I remember one instance in particular. I was waiting at the counter after my car oil change and the mechanic from the back had brought my keys up front and was waiting for the clerk to finish with someone else. Somehow the subject of Palestine came up. I don’t remember how, it might have been from the TV in the waiting room that was on the Fox news channel. The mechanic made some remark about how much money we give to Palestine and “all those countries”. He quoted some ridiculous figure. So I took the opportunity to tell him the facts, including that we give billions in aid to Egypt and Jordon because of Carter’s Israel peace deal. I asked if he used the net and he did so I gave him some sites to verify what I said. A few people standing around also were listening and saying…”I didn’t know that”.
        When I get into conversations about Israel off the net I stick to the $$$ and Israel first congress issue. I’ve never had anyone express anything but outrage at learning the facts. It’s like watching a conversion — first they have this dumbfounded look when they hear the figures, then a big scowl of pissed off about it.
        The most pissed off I have seen anyone get was when I told a guy about Hoyer’s speech in Israel promising Israel that despite the recession and financial hurting in the US Israel would still get all it needed from the US. He let loose with a stream of invectives that turned every head in the room.

• Charles Barwin
        July 29, 2012, 12:27 pm

American:
        “When I get into conversations about Israel off the net I stick to the $$$ and Israel first congress issue. I’ve never had anyone express anything but outrage at learning the facts.”

It’s past time we put together an Anti-Hasbara Handbook
        Comic book form for hand out on college campuses. It could be really powerful, and funny, for people with no previous interest in the issue, complete with quotes and caricatures of Hasbarabots spewing their jive to savvy college kids.

• American
        July 29, 2012, 7:13 pm

@ Charles

Good idea. I’m not that talented but someone is and should do it.
        Maybe a Captain America vr a Captain Israel…. bang!…boom!…sockaroo!…theme.

• seafoid
        July 30, 2012, 8:44 am

It’s past time we put together an Anti-Hasbara Handbook

I would be happy to contribute . I have 10 years worth of insults and hysteria filed.

July 30, 2012, 12:17 pm

“Maybe people know they don’t want to look.”

“Maybe”? “Maybe”? How dumb do you think they are? They know damn good and well they don’t want to look, and I have had the danger of looking emphasized to me more than once in conversations. Why on earth would they want to look, and possibly experience cognitive dissonance? Is that a healthy state for your psychology and adjustment? No, I don’t think so.

Colin, you really need to give them more credit. They know damn good and well what they don’t want to look at.

August 7, 2012, 12:47 pm

“It’s past time we put together an Anti-Hasbara Handbook”

I suggest (as usual) that it start with this and this.

• chet
        July 28, 2012, 1:58 pm

Why blame the 98% when important information about Israeli racism and apartheid has been so successfully withheld from them for so many years?

Unless this strangle-hold on the MSM is somehow broken, it is utterly naive to believe that the attitudes of the 98% will change in the slightest.

• MRW
        July 29, 2012, 7:31 am

The crux of it.

2. Krauss
    July 28, 2012, 7:36 am

Hemingway always urged those around him who wanted to know how to be a good writer that the most important thing in life as a writer is to write the truest sentence that you can, even when it is hard, especially when it is hard.

Some people have to struggle to get to that, some people never even try.
    For you it is second nature.
    This essay of yours is a force of nature in the best possible sense of the term.

July 30, 2012, 12:27 pm

“the most important thing in life as a writer is to write the truest sentence that you can, even when it is hard, especially when it is hard.”

Hard to disagree with Hemmingway (I can’t box) but when I read a sentence beginning: “I was raised as a Jewish outsider in America,…” I can only think that besides hard personal truth, a good editor is essential, too.

3. bijou
    July 28, 2012, 8:01 am

Thank you for saying what so desperately needs to be said. Please don’t stop. This writing is so powerful, so deep, and so true.

It is a ‘scorched-earth’ system created through invisible bureaucracy, intentionally designed to maximally humiliate and leave no chance for a dignified human existence for people of certain undesired ethnicities. I believe it is worse than apartheid. Apartheid did not attempt to ethnically cleanse, only to separate. This system, if you truly examine it closely, seems designed to make collective existence completely unsustainable to the point where the demographic balance will inevitably change.

4. Miura
    July 28, 2012, 8:12 am

pre Zionist-Apartheid Palestine.

• anonymouscomments
      July 29, 2012, 2:41 am

BTW thanks for this lovely rare link… i really liked it.

but it makes me again dream history was different. if only the zionist immigration was at the consent of the natives (limited, and integrated whence they came), and a beautiful parliamentary democracy called palestine would have come to exist.

if only….

5. Eva Smagacz
    July 28, 2012, 8:37 am

Please, please send the last three paragraphs as a letter to editor to NYT, Phil.
    He may not print it, but it may truly stir his soul. It has the emotional punch of Zola’s ” J’accuse” .

6. MRW
    July 28, 2012, 8:51 am

Your last paragraph is exactly how I feel. Too bad I can’t write it. I’m a Gentile. And therein lies a whole shitload of more.

• American
      July 28, 2012, 12:17 pm

@MRW

Yes you can say it as a gentile.
      I’ve said basically the same thing, many others have said the same things many times.
      It doesn’t matter whether it’s a Jew or Gentile who speaks the truth.
      Some will always slur the Gentile (and the Jew) who does….but so what?….the truth is still the truth.
      No one is going to get out of this debate/battle without some bruises.

• Stephen Shenfield
      July 28, 2012, 1:47 pm

Please expand on why you “can’t write it.” It might help to understand that better. Is it the fear of being called an antisemite? An inner block? Being a Gentile can’t explain it in itself because some Gentiles are able to express themselves, even in the US.

• MRW
        July 29, 2012, 8:05 am

@American and Shenfeld (sort of)

American, believe it or not, that last paragraph written on this blog six or seven years ago would have produced an uproar. If I had written it, pah-poom. Not that I sit around quivering in my boots about it. I don’t. And not that I don’t open my mouth in public where I live and get the anti-semitism charge flung at me by the angry monkeys. I do.

I now have a PDF of Hostage and Blankfort’s postings in a single doc I can search on my Kindle Fire. I whip it out, search and quote when I’m in l’il-shit mode and want to silence automatons. I’m accused of being anti-semitic for even doing that! For having the damn documentation at hand! Hysterical.

Shenfeld, you’ve got to be kidding me. What part of the destruction of Octavia Nasr, Rick Sanchez, and Helen Thomas don’t you understand? Who came to their defense? Who? Olbermann did a half wipe over the Thomas mess, in passing. After a highly-regarded 60-year career? Who? The rest of our august press? An under-30 Israeli apparatchik at a US (anti) think-tank helped engineer the removal of Helen Thomas Lifetime Achievement Awards, numerous school scholarships , the removal of her statue at a schooling Michigan, and I heard rumors about her name on a school building somewhere being demoted, but don’t quote me on that.

This year the White House Correspondents Association refused to allow Helen Thomas to buy a table for the 50th Anniversary of allowing women to attend the association dinner, a breakthrough Helen Thomas created. Outcry from the press? Zip.

Deregulating the media was the one of the worse things Reagan did. Before he did it, you couldn’t have conglomerates buy up huge markets nationally. You couldn’t own more than a certain number of papers or television or radio stations, no matter how rich your were. The regulation allowed disparate voices to flourish.

It is time we got back to that, which is possible even with the net. The airwaves belong the public in the US. They are the owners. There should be a firm line between distribution of content and content suppliers. Firm rules. Net neutrality is not enough. It has to be a contractual restriction.

• LanceThruster
        July 29, 2012, 1:43 pm

This is quite shameful, and I’m ashamed to say I had no idea about the further villification and marginalization of Ms. Thomas to this extent.

Mah.Thur.Fah.Curse.

• Mndwss
        July 31, 2012, 11:59 am

Mah.Thur.Fah.Curse. ?

Had to Google that..

Dragon Language:

link to elderscrolls.wikia.com

Mah (Fall)
        Thur (Tyranny)
        Fah (for)
        Curse

• Kathleen
      July 29, 2012, 10:10 pm

Gentiles have been writing meeting with Reps for decades about this critical issue. Clearly never shows up on the radar screen but this type of lobbying has been going on far more than people think. But clearly not like the Aipac lobbying that I have seen with my own eyes the last couple of years in D.C. I had read about the power of the I lobby but when you see the Aipac crowd standing in very long lines to meet with their Reps to push pro Israel legislation, anti Iran legislation and anti Palestinian legislation it you know the pressure that our Reps are under to kiss the I lobbies collective ass and do as they say or lose their jobs.

Call your Reps, meet with them. Let them know we are out here.

7. justicewillprevail
    July 28, 2012, 9:40 am

On the money. The reliance by zionism and their corrupted support is on the truth being suppressed and denied, as they well know. The simple spreading of the truth of the horrendous nightmare that zionism has inflicted on a population who have done nothing to warrant it will bring a clamour for change, as with S Africa under white rule. That is what they fear, and that is why it is so essential. Anyone who witnesses the reality in israel is staggered by its cruelty and elitism, and can barely believe that the US dutifully supports its demands for privilege and apartheid paid for by the US taxpayer. A tipping point is approaching. Keep up the good work.

8. Boycott Israel on Campus
    July 28, 2012, 10:02 am

Phil, you could stroll into the New York City Council and tell them this. Then you could demand a city resolution to totally boycott everything from Israel.

You would not have to stand alone, but if you did, fine. You would still be showing some resistance in the news media, which would be sitting there waiting, cameras in hand.

That would be a huge encouragement to many thousands of Arab American students on hundreds of campuses, waiting until it’s safe for them to do the same.

• Kris
      July 29, 2012, 10:34 pm

It’s a great idea for someone like Phil Weiss (i.e., Jewish) to do this, and insane to encourage Arab American students to think that it’s safe for them to do anything in the U.S. but keep their heads down. The war on “terror” is a war on Muslims, and, American or not, Muslims are in constant danger in this country of being thrown into prison for decades for doing absolutely nothing.

That is why I will not contribute to any program that provides scholarships for Muslim students to study in the U.S. These students should absolutely stay out of the U.S., and attend universities in Europe, where their lives can’t be destroyed so easily.

9. HarryLaw
    July 28, 2012, 10:17 am

A couple of comments in Haaretz recently on a parking dispute [1] More discrimination against non-Jews in Israel – soon the state will pass legislation requiring all non-Jews to to wear an armband to signify their religious status – and Israel deems itself a Western styled democracy! The second on the Armenian presence dating back over 2000 years, in the Old City simply ” they should go back to Armenia” say’s it all really, [Jerusalem's Armenians outraged as City approves Jews-only parking lot in Old City Haaretz.com Sat 28th July 2012]

• Sassan
      July 29, 2012, 1:35 am

• Annie Robbins
        July 29, 2012, 2:00 am
      • Sassan
        July 29, 2012, 2:13 am

July 29, 2012, 8:10 am

Where are the armbands Annie ?

• tree
        July 29, 2012, 11:40 am

No armbands, but Israeli IDs include information on a citizens “nationality”, and “Israeli” is not allowed as a legitimate nationality to have on your Israeli ID. “Jew” and “Arab” are the two main identifiers that Israeli uses.

Yoel Harshefi, a lawyer supporting Mr Ornan, said the interior ministry had resorted to creating national groups with no legal recognition outside Israel, such as “Arab” or “unknown”, to avoid recognising an Israeli nationality.

In official documents most Israelis are classified as “Jewish” or “Arab”, but immigrants whose status as Jews is questioned by the Israeli rabbinate, including more than 300,000 arrivals from the former Soviet Union, are typically registered according to their country of origin.

“Imagine the uproar in Jewish communities in the United States, Britain or France, if the authorities there tried to classify their citizens as “Jewish” or “Christian”,” said Mr Ornan.

link to jkcook.net

See here, as well, how easy it is in Israel for the government to ignore Israeli Supreme Court rulings:

Interior Ministry Eli Yishai has signed a regulation that reinstates the nationality notation in the identification cards of all citizens who were eligible for the document before 2002.

Yishai decision’s calls for the nationality section in ID cards issued to people who converted to Judaism through the Reform or Conservative movements to remain blank – a measure that defies a High Court of Justice ruling that officially recognizes the converts as Jews.

link to ynetnews.com

• amigo
        August 2, 2012, 8:09 am

Oleg,r—It is already being done–google “Red arm bands for non Jewish travellers.

It caused problems so now the Israeli authorities are using a “numbering system ” to readily pick out the Non Jews.

Nice little society you are apologizing for.

August 2, 2012, 9:10 am

link to google.co.il

What are you talking about dude?

• Woody Tanaka
        August 2, 2012, 9:15 am

“Where’s the arm bands? I was referring to the arm bands and needing to identify oneself as a certain religion.”

So you’re okay with a law making a piece of land a Jew-only parking lot?

• Annie Robbins
        August 2, 2012, 10:05 am

don’t ask me oleg, it wasn’t my comment.

August 2, 2012, 10:10 am

I wasn’t asking you actually.
        I am guessing i won’t be getting any answers anyway.
        Still waiting for Avi G here to explain what did he found offensive in Jews
        living on Via Dolorosa.

• amigo
        August 3, 2012, 5:07 am

Oleg–here is what I am talking about.

“Transportation Minister Shaul Mofaz announced on Tuesday that Ben Gurion International Airport security would no longer mark the luggage belonging to non-Jews with colored tags, in order to spare these passengers embarrassment.

Instead, Mofaz explained, the luggage of non-Jewish passengers will be stamped with the same color sticker as the Jewish passengers, only with a different number. In the past, the color of the sticker on the passenger’s luggage would indicate to airport security personnel the level of security check they must administer.

This practice mainly affected Arab passengers.

Israel or it,s apologists just cannot extricate themselves from the racist bigotry it is mired in.

• amigo
        August 3, 2012, 5:09 am

btw Oleg, you can find that report on Zionist racist bigotry on Haaretz.

If you have the courage to seek out the truth about your beloved Zionist enterprise.

• Woody Tanaka
        August 3, 2012, 8:58 am

Sassan, I’m still waiting for an answer: are you okay with a law making a piece of land a Jew-only parking lot?

August 3, 2012, 4:30 pm

Amigo
        /Transportation Minister Shaul Mofaz announced on Tuesday that Ben Gurion International Airport security would no longer mark the luggage belonging to non-Jews with colored tags, in order to spare these passengers embarrassment./

this is the article you are talking about.
        link to haaretz.com

It’s dated 2007 and the practice was discontinued!!!

How is that discontinued security practice applied to luggage practice have anything to do with HarryLaws original
        claim that
        ” soon the state will pass legislation requiring all non-Jews to to wear an armband to signify their religious status – and Israel deems itself a Western styled democracy! ”

Please provide me with an answer and stop evading.

• Woody Tanaka
        August 3, 2012, 6:32 pm

It’s dated 2007 and the practice was discontinued!!!

How is that discontinued security practice…

So, Oleg, are you prepared to condemn this discriminatory practice, discontinued or not, or do you support official discrimination based on ethnicity? If you support it, would you support it being inflicted upon Jews?

July 29, 2012, 2:10 am

“Nonsense. Such a law will never pass. You make assertions based on things that have not happened and will not happen.”

It’s telling that you find it seriously necessary to deny the possibility though, isn’t it?

August 5, 2012, 2:07 pm

Wow, for people who have used the unsubstantiated, or thinly-substantiated slur for decades, Hasbaratchniks get all bent out of shape when its used on them. Get used to it OlegR, and the rest. It’s what happens when you go out of style (which frankly, was all that Zionism could ever hope to be, in style for long enough to get the job done). You’ll get used to it, OlegR. Just keep telling your self “Jewish is the new Palestinian”. Maybe that’ll help.

10. Nevada Ned
    July 28, 2012, 10:29 am

Phil, thanks for the eloquent piece.

As you say, Jews and Palestinians live very segregated lives. Israeli Jews hardly ever meet any Palestinians. As an example, Miko Peled was 39 years old when he first met a Palestinian. (And he was living in California). I think there was more mixing of the races in the pre-civil-rights American South than there is in Israel today.

This rigid separation makes it easy for Israeli Jews to think of Palestinians as subhuman. And it means that Israel’s crimes and massacres have a lot of popular support among Israeli Jews.

July 28, 2012, 2:09 pm

“…Are there any grassroots efforts to get Israeli Jews to meet Palestinians, with the message from the Palestinians being “We’re here, we’re not going away, we’re human beings entitled to human rights”?…”

Now that would kind of defeat the purpose of the wall, wouldn’t it?

11. Shmuel
    July 28, 2012, 10:45 am

An argument that is constantly waved around by Israel apologists is that those who criticise Israel are somehow singling that country out (the implied motivation is inevitably anti-Semitism or “self-hatred”).

What Phil has done in this post is exactly the opposite. He sees apartheid. He doesn’t want to hear that “Israel is different” or “it’s complicated” or “it’s their fault”. He sees injustice and wants to know why so many people and institutions have colluded for so long to cover up this reality and, more importantly, when will they stop.

July 28, 2012, 11:42 am

Philip can see whatever he wants
      that does not make him you or anybody else right.

• justicewillprevail
        July 28, 2012, 11:56 am

No, he sees what is in front of him, not what he ‘wants’, and reports it. The readers will judge what is right, much as you and the legions of hasbarists and deniers don’t like it.

• Kathleen
        July 29, 2012, 10:11 pm

He took his willing blinders off

• Shmuel
        July 28, 2012, 11:59 am

Philip can see whatever he wants
        that does not make him you or anybody else right.

What Phil sees – the systematic discrimination and massive indulgence/coverup for it in the West and especially the U.S. – is reality. You may believe that such a state of affairs is right and good or at the very least a necessary evil (or simply the way the cookie crumbles), but that does not change the reality.

• seanmcbride
        July 28, 2012, 12:19 pm

OlegR,

By the way, what do you make of this:

“Torturing Children: Official Israeli Policy”

link to theintelhub.com

Has AIPAC come up with canned talking points yet to address these questions? What are your original thoughts on the issue?

July 29, 2012, 8:22 am

/If you were animated by a truth-seeking spirit, and weren’t into the ethnic nationalist propaganda business, don’t you think you could come up with a more stirring response than this?/

You assume that this article deserves some stirring response , it does not.
        Or you assume that i am good enough of a writer to produce such
        a response under different circumstances in this case i am flattered :)

Regarding the second issue i have read the article regarding the “Torture”

There is just one sentence there “Offenses amount to torture.”
        And it is not backed up by anything concrete beside the usual evil evil Israel rhetoric.
        Yes Palestinian minors get rougher treatment then say Israeli ones
        but the Israeli minors are not usually get involved (understandably)
        in terrorist activity with encouragement of their society as Palestinian minors are.
        (We just get drafted into army at 18 when it’s legal to kill us)

I have no idea what is the AIPAC stance is on the matter but i’ll be sure
        to urge Abe Foxman to make a statement next time we chat.

• MRW
        July 29, 2012, 9:26 am

OlegR,

You’re on an American blog. The convention of western literary and journalistic form for quotes is either italics (accomplished with html) or double-quotes [""]. It is not slashes.

For the html, the form is here: link to tizag.com

Here are the rules for using slashes in English punctuation.
        link to suite101.com

July 29, 2012, 9:44 am

/You’re on an American blog./

MRW have you already staked a claim and raised the flag over
        the blog?

August 5, 2012, 2:13 pm

“MRW have you already staked a claim and raised the flag over
        the blog?”

Why, Oleg? Are you contesting the ownership of the blog? Gonna attempt a coup de blog?

July 28, 2012, 3:54 pm

To OlegR “Philip can see whatever he wants
        that does not make him you or anybody else right.”

Ask yourself some questions.

Would you prefer that people treat you as if you are Palestinian? That you have the same property rights as they do? The same assurance of the protection of the laws? The same right to national and individual self-expression?

July 29, 2012, 8:26 am

/Would you prefer that people treat you as if you are Palestinian?/
        No i wouldn’t they have a shitty life in comparison to Israelis.
        But there is a lot of peoples all over the world i wouldn’t want to trade places
        with. (And neither would the Palestinians)

/When you can seriously answer ‘yes’ to these questions, we will be able to grant that you may be speaking honestly./
        Who are those “We” that you are talking about Colin and why would I
        care what “We” think about my honesty .

• talknic
        July 28, 2012, 9:19 pm

OlegR July 28, 2012 at 11:42 am

“Philip can see whatever he wants…”

Do you ever think? Or read what you write? Apartheid perpetuated by the Jewish Homeland State, is not what Phil or I or many other Jewish folk “want” to see.

BTW the inability or refusal to see apartheid where it obviously exists, does not make apartheid right.

• Annie Robbins
        July 29, 2012, 2:01 am

oleg, you can see whatever you want..like an emperor with new clothes.

July 29, 2012, 8:29 am

Well yes Annie that exactly is the point.
        Who wears the new closes and who is blinded by his
        prejudices.
        So far your site failed to convince me that i am the one wearing those closes.
        But i urge you to keep at it.

• justicewillprevail
        July 29, 2012, 9:26 am

your predictable responses are the ones that have failed to convince anybody. This site doesn’t have to convince people like you of anything, given your parrot like replies to every article. So no need to keep at anything for you, it is for people who have enquiring minds.

• Annie Robbins
        August 2, 2012, 10:19 am

So far your site failed to convince me that i am the one wearing those closes.

oleg, the site is not here to convince you of anything. you are a useful tool here for you provide a constant reminder to our readers what kind of mentality we are dealing with.

Israeli minors are not usually get involved (understandably)

racist, do tell us about how palestinian minors usually get involved in terrorist activity ..according to you.

August 2, 2012, 10:35 am

Annie thank you for calling me a tool instead of talking to me like a human being, very liberal of you.

/racist, do tell us about how palestinian minors usually get involved in terrorist activity/
        How is it racist to say that Palestinian youth growing in a culture where
        a large part of that culture is devoted to what they call resistance and we call terrorism absorb those values and often assist their elders in those acts of resistance.
        What kind of definition of racism are you using ?
        Or is it that anything that i would say about Palestinians just falls under category of racism?

link to en.wikipedia.org

link to en.wikipedia.org

link to google.co.il

Enjoy the reading , or just dismiss as you usually do anything that conflicts with your nice and cozy world view…

• Annie Robbins
        August 2, 2012, 10:43 am

How is it racist to say that Palestinian youth growing in a culture where
        a large part of that culture is devoted to what they call resistance

don’t jump the shark on me. you made a statement. looks like you’re not interested in walking it back.

Israeli minors are not usually get involved ….
        in terrorist activity … as Palestinian minors are

August 2, 2012, 10:48 am

Taking what back, the Palestinian minors do get involved in acts of terrorism
        routinely.
        Stating that is no more racist then stating the Israeli at the age of 18
        usually start serving in the IDF it’s a fact like it or not.

Have you actually bothered to follow my links or are you just trying to
        wave all of this away.

• eljay
        August 2, 2012, 11:07 am

>> Israeli minors are not usually get involved (understandably)

Yeah, it’s gotta be pretty sweet belonging to the society of the oppressor rather than to the society of the oppressed.

Then again, it must be awfully tough having both to maintain an oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and supremacist state AND to play victim all the time. :-(

Looks like the thrills and benefits of oppression and supremacism outweigh the difficulties of victimhood.

• MRW
        July 29, 2012, 8:19 am

Philip can see whatever he wants
        that does not make him you or anybody else right.

Nor you, judging from your consistently ill-informed and illogical comments.

• amigo
        August 2, 2012, 8:59 am

OlegR “Philip can see whatever he wants
        that does not make him you or anybody else right.”

Oleg , you can close your eyes to the facts all you want but that does not make them dissappear.

The River of De-Nile can be very unforgiving without a life preserver.

• American
      July 28, 2012, 12:28 pm

Totally agree.
      If Israel is singled out it’s because it singled itself out as a ‘exception’ to the rest of the world.

• proudzionist777
        July 29, 2012, 4:01 am

@American

“Wrong is wrong and the truth is the truth and they should be as blind to any biases as the blindfolded lady holding the scales of justice.”

And that comes from the same ‘American’ who blames the anthrax attacks on ‘zios’.

• American
        July 29, 2012, 10:40 am

Liar,liar, pants on fire.

I never said the zios ‘did it’, I said they would be on my ‘suspects list’.

• proudzionist777
        July 30, 2012, 3:11 pm

Only anti-Semites and fools would bother to keep a ‘suspects list’ after the suicide of Dr. Bruce Ivens.

• amigo
        August 2, 2012, 8:47 am

PZ777

What about Jihad watch or the other zionist run sites checking any comment on the Internet that contains the word Jew.

You and those you support have more info on Internet traffic stored away than the rest put together.

Do however keep the light on at night to guard you against all those Anti Semites.

12. seanmcbride
    July 28, 2012, 11:40 am

Set aside Israeli and Mideast political issues entirely: Phil Weiss is the real deal, as a thinker and writer — in the tradition of Mark Twain and George Orwell. He writes the truth, and the truth gives his writing power. Powerful writing transcends all political agendas — it is based on the best of the universal human spirit.

Tell the truth with all your might, and you might manage to say something memorable.

13. GJB
    July 28, 2012, 11:46 am

Eloquent, powerful, sensitive post, Phil. There may be hope for the Times, though, post-Goldstone. Jodi Rudoren is showing some promise, as in today’s article:
    link to nytimes.com
    If she keeps speaking to folks like this, how can she help but see more and more of the apartheid system for what it is? How long before the word gets into mainstream press articles like hers? If they let her …

• Charles Barwin
      July 28, 2012, 12:31 pm

“If they let her”

That’s always been the problem. It doesn’t take a genius to see the obvious. She lives in a stolen Palestinian house, for chrissake. As did several predecessors.

• ritzl
        July 28, 2012, 4:32 pm

@Charles Barwin

They say write about what you know. Maybe she should write about that.

It would be interesting to see how she would list the ownership line (including the Palestinians who still have claim to the house) and then “balance” that out, with something (the interesting part), all very sensitively of course.

August 5, 2012, 2:20 pm

“and then “balance” that out, with something (the interesting part), all very sensitively of course.”

Yes, I just saw a capsule review of “Five Broken Cameras” (in the Seattle Weekly) and even in a two paragraph capsule review, the review paid homage to the equivalency Hasbara and the balance Hasbara. Mentioned that the film was “biased” towards the Palestinians, and couldn’t understand why the settlers were portrayed unsympathetically. Yup!

• ritzl
        August 6, 2012, 7:21 pm

@Mooser In your recent comments you seem to be sensing a recycled uptick in the equivalency/balance hasbara. Is that an actionable sign of desperation? Or something otherwise significant? Or just continually recycled obfuscation?

Cheers.

August 7, 2012, 1:00 pm

“I only ask because one of the supreme benes of this site, to me, is to provide normal people with insightful entrés into the discussion.”

Can’t help you, sorry. I know very little about normal people. But the area Hasbara has to stand on is being reduced in direct proportion to the amount Israel expands, so they get more strident, is my guess.

14. Blake
    July 28, 2012, 12:07 pm

Powerful stuff Phil. It just brings home how patient the Palestinians are. I am sure they appreciate all you do.

15. seanmcbride
    July 28, 2012, 12:11 pm

I am still convinced that the key trendline to watch in these controversies are the ever-escalating hate-filled attacks by pro-Israel militants on American presidents, American leaders and the American government.

A typical example, hot off the press:

“Mark Levin: “Obama Hates Israel And He’s Demonstrated It Time And Again””

link to thegatewaypundit.com

At some point Americans as a whole are going to notice that American politics has become completely consumed by Likud Zionist attacks on their own government and people. When that insight fully sinks in, that is when the backlash against the Israel lobby will begin full force.

An increasingly conspicuous sector of American politicians and pundits has made it perfectly clear that they care much more about Israeli settlers in biblical Eretz Yisrael than they care about Americans — and especially the disintegrating American middle class.

Eventually, this question is going to be turned around: why do ethnic nationalist zealots like Mark Levin and his neoconservative confederates hate America?

• seanmcbride
      July 28, 2012, 12:26 pm

The first comment on this article by a Mark Levin supporter:

“Choomboy hates Jews and Christians, and was raised a Muslim. Who is surprised by this?”

One sees literally hundreds of ignorant and hate-filled comments like this every week in the Israeli and American neoconservative press coming from pro-Israel activists.

• Roya
        July 28, 2012, 4:27 pm

Yes Obama is definitely Muslim as you can see by these pictures.

July 28, 2012, 2:26 pm

“…At some point Americans as a whole are going to notice that American politics has become completely consumed by Likud Zionist attacks on their own government and people. When that insight fully sinks in, that is when the backlash against the Israel lobby will begin full force…”

Well, maybe. On the other hand, it’s also been noticed that if a lie is repeated often enough, people start to assume there’s something to it.

Did the propaganda of the Nazis produce a reaction of revulsion in the German people — or did it make the Holocaust seem reasonable when it came?

• Charles Barwin
      July 28, 2012, 3:41 pm

seanmcbride:
      “When that insight fully sinks in, that is when the backlash against the Israel lobby will begin full force.”

Mayor Bloomberg:
      “I don’t understand why police officers across this country don’t stand up collectively and say we’re going to go on strike, we’re not going to protect you unless you, the public, through your legislature, do what’s required to keep us safe,” Bloomberg says.
      link to blogs.villagevoice.com

• ToivoS
      July 28, 2012, 11:50 pm

This hatred of Obama is part of a bigger phenomena and that is many Israelis hate Americans. This should not be too surprising since unruly dependents often hate their wealthy benefactors. And without question Israel would just be another helpless orphan in an ugly world without Uncle Sam bailing them out financially and diplomatically. Since they have nothing to offer us in return it is only natural that they should resent us.

Then there is the resentment that Israeli Jews have against American Jews who decided to live in, well, the US. These were obviously pragmatic people who knew that they could have a much better life in the US.

Sean I agree that at some point the American people will begin to realize that these Likud attacks are directed against them. We are not yet there but when it happens change might happen quickly.

• MRW
        July 29, 2012, 8:44 am

@ToivoS,

“It has often been said that power corrupts. But it is perhaps equally important to realize that weakness, too, corrupts. Power corrupts the few, while weakness corrupts the many. Hatred, malice, rudeness, intolerance, and suspicion are the faults of weakness. The resentment of the weak does not spring from any injustice done to them but from their sense of inadequacy and impotence. We cannot win the weak by sharing our wealth with them. They feel our generosity as oppression.”

Eric Hoffer

July 29, 2012, 8:49 am

You really all should make up your mind.
        Either Israel is the tail that wags the dog via AIPAC.
        or we are weak ungrateful servants of the US empire that can’t wait to
        stab it in the back.

August 7, 2012, 1:05 pm

“Either Israel is the tail that wags the dog via AIPAC.
        or we are weak ungrateful servants of the US empire that can’t wait to
        stab it in the back.”

Why can’t it be both? Israelis and Zionists are very energetic and capable people. No doubt they cover all the bases.

• seafoid
      July 30, 2012, 8:22 am

link to ft.com

“Sheldon Adelson, a billionaire casino magnate, and other donors have made several million dollars available for the Republicans to campaign against Mr Obama’s Israel policy. One Republican-friendly group, the Emergency Committee for Israel, has placed advertisements in Jewish publications this weekend attacking the president. ”

Some of america’s less educated class are going to find it very hard to figure out that Judaism is not Zionism.

And how many of the 26 billionaires buying the election are Jewish ?
      link to progressive.org

16. Dexter
    July 28, 2012, 3:36 pm

During the opening ceremony of the Olympics, Bob Costas used the words, “Palestinian terrorists,” when the Israeli athletes took the field. When the Palestinian athletes took the field, he did not mention a single word about Israeli terrorism, occupation, or apartheid.

I mean, this is the level of stupidity we’re dealing with regarding this issue.

• Sassan
      July 29, 2012, 4:32 am

Let’s see, one committed acts of terror against Israeli athletes at the Olympic games in Munich 40-years ago. Do you not see this? IT was a shame that the Olympic committee did not take a moment of silence for the slain athletes 40-years ago at Munich. This was not just an act of terror against the Israeli athletes, but against civilization and all civilized nations represented in the Olympic pool of nations.

• MRW
        July 29, 2012, 9:06 am

No it wasn’t. It was political terrorism by the Black September group (splinter group of he PLO) against Israel for occupying Gaza and the West Bank, and a reaction to the 1967 War that Israel started. Payback’s a bitch.

• Bumblebye
        July 29, 2012, 11:14 am

@Sissy
        Your US Olympic broadcaster didn’t bother to include the minute silence that was part of the Opening Ceremony (wonder who’s agenda that choice was made to fulfill?) for ALL who could not be there. For most of us Brits, it represented the victims of the tube/bus bombings that were carried out less than 24 hours after the announcement that London would have the Olympics – 7/7. There was a photomontage that included some of them and many others. Perhaps if you or others had seen it, there may have been a few faces from 72 that might have been identified. No names were posted.

• seafoid
        July 30, 2012, 8:24 am

“but against civilization and all civilized nations represented in the Olympic pool of nations.”

Israel does not belong with the civilised world. Compare the furore over Syria to what Israel does regularly to Gaza.

• Shingo
        July 30, 2012, 6:31 pm

Yes, it really upset the sensibilities of Zionists like Sassan.

“They have shocked the world. They have affected strongly people like me, who in the past, have been consistent friends of the Jews and constant architects of their future. However, the British refrain from a violent response to acts of Zionist terrorism, even though the were seventyfive thousand British soldiers in Palestine”
        [Winston Churchill]

17. Patrick
    July 28, 2012, 4:01 pm

Agree too, and would add in much of Canada and its political establishment, especially the hideous Harper gov’t.

18. DICKERSON3870
    July 28, 2012, 4:17 pm

RE: “I’m no stranger to Israel and Palestine, still what shocks me about coming here is how blatant the system of unfairness is.” ~ Weiss

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S MUSICAL INTERLUDE sponsored by the makers of new Ziocaine Über-Xtreme®: It’s guaran-damn-teed to blow your effing mind!

Southern Zionist man
    better keep your head
    Don’t forget
    what your good book said
    Southern Zionist change
    gonna come at last
    Now your crosses stars
    are burning fast
    Southern Zionist man . . .
    ~
    . . . Tall white mansions*
    and little shacks.
    Southern Zionist man
    when will you
    pay them back?
    I heard screamin’
    and bullwhips Caterpillars cracking razing
    How long? How long? . . .

Southern Man, from Neil Young’s 1970 album After the Gold Rush [VIDEO, 05:30] – link to youtube.com

* White Citylink to white-city.net
    White City Residence (exclusive, luxury residence in Tel Aviv)
    [VIDEO, 03:45] – link to youtube.com
    • Neve Tzedek by the sea luxury exclusive residence, white city Tel Aviv [VIDEO, 03:45] – link to youtube.com

19. Avi_G.
    July 28, 2012, 4:37 pm

link to tinyurl.com

July 29, 2012, 8:31 am

What’s wrong with Jews living on Via Dolorosa
      is there some special insult here that i am missing ?

August 2, 2012, 5:02 pm

Steel waiting for a reply avi g
      What did you find so offensive in Jews living on ViaDolorosa?

• Woody Tanaka
        August 2, 2012, 6:37 pm

I can’t speak for Avi G, but it might not be not the Jews that are the problem, but the flags. Besides the obvious gross insult the flags pose to the Muslims going to pray at Aqsa Mosque, I would imagine that to the Palestinian Christians, who suffer at the hands of the israeli government in the occupation, the sight of the flags of their oppressors hanging over this holy ground, the sacred stones that the Messiah, Lord God, Jesus Christ, Lord of Lord, King of Kings, trod upon on his way to the Redemption of all Mankind might a bit like when the Antiochus set up a statute of Zeus in the Jewish Temple.

August 3, 2012, 4:26 pm

He didn’t say Israeli colonies or mentioned Israeli flags.
        He said “Jewish colonies” so i am still waiting for his answers
        and i hope he will be honest about it.

• Woody Tanaka
        August 3, 2012, 6:36 pm

“He didn’t say Israeli colonies or mentioned Israeli flags.
        He said ‘Jewish colonies'”

Yes, he said “Jewish colonies” and he linked to a picture showing a number of israeli flags over the Holy Christian site. What kinds of people to you expect to be living under flags emblazoned with the Star of David? The Dutch? Anglicans?

August 5, 2012, 2:34 pm

I expect them to be Jews and i would like Avi G to explain what he meant
        by his phrase :

“Here are the Jewish colonies in the occupied Old City in East Jerusalem, on the Via Dolorosa street of all places:

And why is it so offensive for Jews to be living near a holy christian site (and waving their flag) and to whom it should be offensive ?
        Is it offensive that Jews hold control over Holy Christian sites ?
        To whom ? Why?
        Is it ok for Muslims to held control instead of Jews? Why?

20. MHughes976
    July 28, 2012, 5:11 pm

I don’t think it’s surprising that anyone who is an ethnic nationalist would hate societies genuinely based on the multi-ethnic principle, ie the idea that your right to be in any place is not dependent on your ethnicity.

21. Misterioso
    July 28, 2012, 6:19 pm

As I see it:

(1) Israel, i.e., west of the green line is an apartheid state.

The U.S. State Department’s report on International Religious Freedom: “Arabs in Israel…are subject to various forms of discrimination [and the government] does not provide Israeli Arabs…with the same quality of education, housing, employment opportunities as Jews.”

The Independent, Dec. 27/2011
    “…EU broadside over plight of Israel’s Arabs”

“The confidential 27-page draft prepared by European diplomats…[shows] that Israeli Arabs suffer ‘economic disparities…unequal access to land and housing…discriminatory draft legislation and a political climate in which discriminatory rhetoric and practice go unsanctioned.'”

Ronnie Kasrils, a key player in the defeat of apartheid in South Africa, currently minister for intelligence in the government and a devout Jew: “The Palestinian minority in Israel has for decades been denied basic equality in health, education, housing and land possession, solely because it is not Jewish. The fact that this minority is allowed to vote hardly redresses the rampant injustice in all other basic human rights. They are excluded from the very definition of the ‘Jewish state’, and have virtually no influence on the laws, or political, social and economic policies. Hence, their similarity to the black South Africans [under apartheid].” (The Guardian, 25 May 2005)

Professor Ilan Pappe, eminent historian and a Jewish citizen of Israel. (Remember, an “Israeli” does not exist): “[Israel's] political system [is] exclusionary, a pro forma democracy – going through the motions of democratic rule but essentially being akin to apartheid or Herenvolk (‘master race’) democracy.”

Adi Ophir, philosophy professor at Tel Aviv University: “…the adoption of the political forms of an ethnocentric and racist nation-state in general, are turning Israel into the most dangerous place in the world for the humanity and morality of the Jewish community, for the continuity of Jewish cultures and perhaps for Jewish existence itself.”

(2) The West Bank, East Jerusalem and according to international law, the Gaza Strip as well, are under a belligerent, illegal and brutal occupation. The multitude of horrors that the native inhabitants experience each and every day are those of all such illegal military occupations.

BTW, we should not forget that Lebanon’s Shebaa Farms and Syria’s Golan Heights have also been occupied by Israel since June 1967 and about 150,000 Syrians were expelled.

22. atime forpeace
    July 28, 2012, 6:29 pm

Thanks Phil for sharing your clear-eyed view of what Israelis are doing to the palestinians, how unfortunate that American Jews are so blinded by the lies the media tells us at the behest of the aipac lobby.

one day it will come to an end.

23. yourstruly
    July 28, 2012, 6:29 pm

the 98% of america that is non-jewish are reacting to israeli apartheid exactly as they did to jim crow*, exactly as they are doing re: empire usa’s simultaneous wars in many parts of the world – with total indifference – so preoccupied are they with take care of number one, facebook, celebrity gazing & tweeting their every thought and move. what’ll wake them up to all the death and destruction that our government is sponsoring throughout the world? somehow we have to find ways to get the 98% non-jewish america’s attention so as to rub their noses in all the shit that their/our government (in all of our names) is dumping on societies that choose to be the masters of their own destiny. just as the civil rights movement found a way, so must we. for starters how about a mondoweiss for the 98% of america that is non-jewish?

*before the civil rights movement woke them up, that is

July 29, 2012, 5:45 pm

“…the 98% of america that is non-jewish are reacting to israeli apartheid exactly as they did to jim crow*”

It’s considerably worse. The pre-civil rights movement attitude was a pretense that darkies were happy — a perhaps conscious act of hypocrisy but at least aspiring to an ideal that all was well in the land of cotton.

When it comes to Israel, the oppression and humiliation of the Palestinians isn’t seriously denied. It’s suggested that they deserve it. Where Blacks were merely to be consigned to a kind of eternal childhood where their at least putatively benevolent white betters would keep them from getting themselves into trouble with their inherent but lovable shiftlessness and irresponsibility, the fate that is in mind for the Palestinians is infinitely more vile. They are to be herded into ghettos and made to suffer for their inherent evil for all eternity.

It’s the difference between someone who at least aspires to a pretense of goodness and someone who, in the last analysis, wishes to openly wallow in evil. The ‘Song of the South’/’Gone with the Wind’ dream was pure wishful thinking — but at least the wish was benign (if self-serving). The Zionist dream is like Hitler’s plans for the East. Nobody’s planning for happy little Palestinians around the old plantation.

• dbroncos
      August 2, 2012, 9:12 pm

@yourstruly

“what’ll wake them up to all the death and destruction that our government is sponsoring throughout the world?”

9/11 provided a great opportunity to wake up to the role American foreign policy has played in provoking so much worldwide scorn and contempt against Americans. Sharon said as much in the days following the attack when he warned Bush not to “appease the Arabs at Israel’s expense.” Unfortunately, no such reassessment has taken place on the part of our leadership. Wars upon wars have been our only response, making the problem even worse. So, what will it take? Our best bet is grassroots pressure. Activism is the best tool we have at the moment. At times it seems like activism isn’t working and that it’ll never work. But doesn’t all activism have those moments of doubt where it doesn’t seem to be working and then, suddenly, it starts to work! people start to notice and the narrative changes, policies change, etc… That process is underway.

The conversation among activists has changed a lot in the last ten years, and it’s changed for the better. Ten years ago BDS was just an ad hoc notion. Today, as a result of hard working activists, there are institutions big and small pursuing divestment strategies. Isreal’s defenders are no longer able to confine the discussion to the “exchange of violence”. Now they are having to justify aparthied and explain how the “Jewish and democratic” state of Israel works. This is a nightmare for Israel firsters. It doesn’t matter how many fast talking hasbarists they throw at the problem (Michael Oren, Jonathan Tobin, etc…), people can smell a rat when he’s lying and that’s what Israel’s defenders are having to do when they talk about Israeli apartheid and Israeli “democracy”.

24. proudzionist777
    July 29, 2012, 3:54 am

Phil noted at the checkpoint, “..Women and men are separated, in a fashion that has ghoulish echoes of the worst moments of Jewish history.”

Here we go again.

Phil, as you no doubt know, women and men are separated at checkpoints for security frisks. Arab women don’t want to be patted down in search of weapons by male soldiers and Arab men don’t want to be patted down by Israeli women.

You take a respectable security procedure and use it to vilify Israelis as Nazis.

You sound like your traveling companion, ‘Bill’, who saw the ramps at Ben Gurion airport and got flashbacks from the death camps.

Sheesh. Lighten up.

July 29, 2012, 8:34 am

/Sheesh. Lighten up./
      It’s not a matter of lightening up it’s a matter of consciously vilifying
      Israel by any rhetorical trick necessary.

• MRW
      July 29, 2012, 9:17 am

Because there is no need for that ‘security procedure’ and, as Phil is emphasizing, it’s an apartheid technique. Or Nazi, if you prefer.

• proudzionist777
        July 29, 2012, 9:35 am

No need?

July 29, 2012, 7:36 pm

“No need?
        Tell that to families who just buried their children who were murdered in Bulgaria last week.”

Sure — just as soon as you explain to us how carrying out procedures with Palestinians in Israel under the pretense of ‘security’ protects people supposedly attacked in Bulgaria by Iranians.

Actually — just to take the Israeli versions of events as truth — if one wants to avoid something like the Burgas bombing, the obvious thing to do is to stop one’s own assassinations. You can harass Palestinians until the cows come home and it won’t do anything to prevent incidents like the Burgas bombing.

Your equation is a complete non-sequitur. It is exactly the sort of glib but essentially nonsensical statement that seems to be all Zionism in general consists of.

• proudzionist777
        July 29, 2012, 9:36 am

Better a Jew-Nazi than a Jew-boy.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 9:38 am

Better a Jew-Nazi than a Jew-boy.

One of your most telling comments to date.

• Shingo
        July 29, 2012, 9:50 am

One of your most telling comments to date.

Very true Shmuel – it just goes to show the true face of Zionism.

• proudzionist777
        July 29, 2012, 10:24 am

“Very true Shmuel – it just goes to show the true face of Zionism.”

@Shingo

No. I goes to show the true face of anti-Semitism.

July 29, 2012, 5:31 pm

“Better a Jew-Nazi than a Jew-boy.

One of your most telling comments to date.”

Indeed. Come to Israel. Forget how inadequate and what a failure you were at home (!). Here you can be a man. You can even walk around with an automatic weapon and intimidate people. Humiliate them instead of being humiliated by them.

The worm turns! Right, ‘proud’?

• Kathleen
        July 29, 2012, 10:18 pm

ugly

• Shingo
        July 30, 2012, 4:20 am

No. I goes to show the true face of anti-Semitism.

Actually, Zionism and Nazism both regarded anti-Semitism as an asset to exploit to achieve their aims. They both regarded Jews as something to be exploited.

Two sides of the same coin, so to speak.

• proudzionist777
        July 30, 2012, 3:17 pm

Keep projecting Colin. It tells a lot about the sad state of your psyche.

I’m in my mid-fifties and I am semi-retiring in Israel in order to benefit my family.
        The last thing I need to do at my age is schlepp around an automatic weapon and I never intimidated anyone in my lifetime (nor do I wish to).

You have a vivid, wild imagination. Try reading Harry Potter.

• Shingo
        July 30, 2012, 6:32 pm

So you are not going to work hard, but simply moving to Israel to take advantage fo the welfare they are offering.

• proudzionist777
        July 31, 2012, 3:28 am

Israel offers new immigrants a reduced mortgage rate on homes and a one -time, reduced tariff on imports. That’s really about it. Anyone who thinks Israel lavishes gifts on immigrants is deluded. No free lunch here. Take my word for it.

My wife and I will work in Israel as much as we are able and live from income we have in the States as well.

• Shingo
        July 31, 2012, 8:46 am

No free lunch here. Take my word for it.

Yeah, you gotta pay top dollar for stolen goods.

August 5, 2012, 2:38 pm

“Better a Jew-Nazi than a Jew-boy.”

Wait a minute, this is getting personal. I was a Jew-boy myself for quite a number of years, and it wasn’t so bad. In retrospect, and looking back on it, too, I’m rather grateful, and sort of wistful about it. Almost an innocently charmed existence in many ways.
        Much better than being in the Hitler Youth, I would say. I couldn’t even hack the Boy Scouts, and I’m forever grateful for it.
        Of course, my universal and all-encompassing empathy prevents me from pointing out the alternative “proudzionist 666″ never seems to offer, that one can grow from a Jew-boy into a Jew-man. Gotta feel sorry for a schlump like that.

• justicewillprevail
      July 29, 2012, 9:31 am

Ha ha, ‘respectable security measure’. You sure know how to clutch at straws. And as for ‘vilifying’ Israel – no need, Israel’s daily actions do that all by themselves. The desperate excuses only emphasise the blatant truth.

25. Liz18
    July 29, 2012, 8:51 am

What a sad and painful piece of writing, Phil. And all of it so true. Thank you for writing from your heart.

26. proudzionist777
    July 29, 2012, 9:25 am

@OlegR

” it’s a matter of consciously vilifying Israel by any rhetorical trick necessary.”

You are probably right, but my American Jew conscience tells me to try and look at Phil in the most favorable light possible, i.e naive.

BTW. I am making aliyah with my family next month.

July 29, 2012, 9:42 am

ברוכים הבאים.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 9:51 am

Why not the more colloquial “ahalan ve-sahalan”? Perhaps that would be a little too ironic considering who is allowed to “return” and who is not.

July 29, 2012, 9:55 am

Now Shmuel you have made your ירידה
        don’t get cynical
        with people who do the opposite.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 10:02 am

Now Shmuel you have made your ירידה
        don’t get cynical with people who do the opposite.

Just pointing out what should be obvious, Oleg – in the spirit of Phil’s post.

By the way, I didn’t make “ירידה”; I emigrated.

July 29, 2012, 10:19 am

/ust pointing out what should be obvious, Oleg – in the spirit of Phil’s post./

It’s only obvious to those who agree with Phil.

/ I emigrated./ Which in Israeli culture is called ירידה as you well know it and in the past יורדים were called by other much harsher names as you well know as well…

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 10:29 am

It’s only obvious to those who agree with Phil.

No. Once again, it is obvious that PZ777 may immigrate to Israel and receive automatic citizenship upon arrival, whereas a Palestinian actually born in Jerusalem or Haifa or al-Shaykh Muwannis is barred from doing so. You may believe such discrimination to be justified (Holocaust, Jewish character, 21 states, population exchange with the Mizrahim, whatever), but you cannot deny the reality of it (or the irony of welcoming him in Hebraicised Arabic).

July 29, 2012, 10:46 am

suggesting that our language was stolen from the Arabs
        tells a lot about you.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 10:55 am

Oleg,

In the Olympic spirit, you win the gold for jumping to unwarranted conclusions. Is that Hatikva I hear playing in the background …

July 29, 2012, 11:02 am

Of course i am.

And no i think this is the one you hear…

• mig
        July 29, 2012, 11:02 am

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 11:13 am

OK, you get another medal for long-distance distraction and heavyweight lack of self-awareness (biathlon).

And no fair sending private messages on a public board. For those who don’t understand Hebrew, this is the song Oleg chose to send me: link to hebrewsongs.com

(Thanks for the song. I love Yehudit Ravitz, and this song in particular.)

July 29, 2012, 11:20 am

The readers can appreciate the beauty of the song without actually understanding the meaning.
        Besides i am sure that readers of this site have better things to do then read our little exchanges as a source of entertainment.

I am glad you enjoyed it, i love Yehudit as well.

• yonah fredman
        July 29, 2012, 11:23 am

Oleg- When I hear Israelis greeting each other with Ahlan I get a thrill. Partially, that my study of Arabic coincides with an Israeli trend and partially that Arabic has made inroads into Israeli culture. When Israelis use “yani” to mean “like” instead of “k’mo”, I get a similar thrill.

Linguistic purity is not my cup of tea and in a globalized world where languages cross borders and immigrants arrive with hopes of a better life, linguistic mingling is a sign of accepting a path forward.

Of course Brukhim Ha’ba’im (sorry no Hebrew on this computer) is perfectly fine, although maybe staid, like saying “how are you?” instead of “Whatz up?”

Of course one must expect political comments here, so you and Shmuel can return to your yelling match now.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 11:28 am

The term “yeridah” is so retro, Oleg. It was already out of fashion when you arrived in the country. And wasn’t the point of Zionism to create a “normal” state? Normal states have emigration, with no need for petty name-calling. On the contrary, a “normal” country might ask itself why so many have left.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 11:53 am

In Israel, a few words and phrases in Arabic are “ahla”. Smoking a nargileh is “ahla”. Arab food is “ahla”. In my day, even wearing a keffiyeh as a scarf (in an ultra-nationalist Orthodox high school) was “ahla”. The past and present political significance of such trends is interesting, but by no means encouraging. In fact, there is a decidedly depressing side to it (cf. other colonialist cultural appropriations).

Co-existence if it ever comes, will be contingent upon a “language” of mutual respect. The rest will follow. At the moment, the Israeli use of “hawiyah” (Arabic: ID) and Palestinian use of “mahsom” (Hebrew: checkpoint) are far more representative of the politics of linguistic “contamination”.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a “yelling match” to get back to.

• Shmuel
        July 29, 2012, 12:20 pm

My Hebrew grammar teacher in high school (an Egyptian Jew by the name of Musa Levi) used to get livid over Israeli distortions of Arabic (and Aramaic) words and phrases. He would usually say the word or phrase correctly, and then say “u-mah ‘assu ashkenazeem?” (“and what did the Ashkenazim do?) – followed by an exaggerated mispronunciation :-)

July 29, 2012, 2:49 pm

/The future, which is by no means assured, contains the possibility of coexistence (friendship is a bit further past that horizon) and this implies the introduction of Israeli Jewish phrases into local Palestinian conversation and Palestinian phrases into Jewish conversation./
        Already happened afaik in Israel proper.
        I use the arabisms (and anglisms and russisms) in day to day speak all the time.Arabs that i heard talking among themselves use the Hebrew beseder in almost all the time and other Hebrew words as well.

I am not for linguistic purity as well it is fine and well in high literature but such formalism in day to day language castrates it in some aspects.

I intentionally used ברוכים הבאים in a very formal ceremonial manner that i saw fitting to this occasion.אהלן or שלום i use in day today dealings without thinking about it.

Shmuel’s suggestion of אהלן וסהלן would not fit since it is not something an Israeli Jew would use, it is just as formal and ceremonial but in the Arab culture while by an Israeli Jew it would usually be used in a cynical manner and not in the original welcoming meaning.

Ps.
        I wasn’t yelling at Shmuel …

July 29, 2012, 2:55 pm

/And wasn’t the point of Zionism to create a “normal” state?/
        No, the point was also not “להיות ככל הגויים” (i am sure the reader can use translator for that one i just don’t think the English can convey the full meaning of this phrase as i understand it)
        A normal state that retains it’s Jewish identity.

You don’t like the term “יורד” well , tough.

July 29, 2012, 2:59 pm

/. At the moment, the Israeli use of “hawiyah” (Arabic: ID) and Palestinian use of “mahsom” (Hebrew: checkpoint) are far more representative of the politics of linguistic “contamination”./

That’s part of your problem Shmuel you only see this side of the equation.
        only ivrit mahsomim and aravit mahsomim.
        You don’t see the ahlan and the beseder.

• bintbiba
        July 29, 2012, 3:00 pm

Yonah, “yani” or more exactly “ya3ni” is closer to “y’know” or ‘I mean’. It is an actual word that means ‘It means’.

Oleg, you can never be a match to Schmuel. Not only is he more intelligent, mature, and a clear thinker, he is in my opinion a great human being. You could benefit from yelling less and opening heart and mind to what he has to say!

• ErsatzYisrael
        July 29, 2012, 4:50 pm

OlegR says:
        July 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

“Shmuel i welcomed him in Hebrew the reborn language of our people. The fact that you find it ironic and afterwards make the “Hebraicised Arabic” remark,
        suggesting that our language was stolen from the Arabs
        tells a lot about you.”

No, Russia, that guttural Neo-hebrew that you had to learn so that you could go and oppress the true natives of the land on which you’re squatting , certainly is not dead Hebrew magically “reborn” (although I have heard others refer to it as Bastard-hebrew and/or Zombie-hebrew); Neo-hebrew is actually an artificial language, Russia, and the sole reason for its existence is because your Zion masters had to devise a way of duping the weak-minded into believing that another one of their self-serving inventions, that being the fairy-tale of “our people”, wasn’t just a cynical narrative device concocted by some entitled White people in Europe, sometime in the 1900s, as a means of enabling their selfish desire to have their cake and eat it too.

OlegR says:
        July 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

“I would respectfully suggest that you deal with your Jewishness issues in some constructive manner that does not involve belittling your own heritage.”

After losing her beloved son your Rodina has cried herself to sleep, every single night. Your propensity for cruelty is quite staggering.

This and I’m still none the wiser about what a Jew is, let alone what “Jewishness issues” are.

July 29, 2012, 5:11 pm

Oleg says: “The fact that you find it ironic and afterwards make the “Hebraicised Arabic” remark, suggesting that our language was stolen from the Arabs
        tells a lot about you…”

Actually, you were the one who introduced the notion that the appropriation was ‘stealing.’

It follows that the only one revealing anything about himself is you.

July 30, 2012, 5:13 am

So much hatred in your words
        ErsatzYisrael where does it come from ?

• Woody Tanaka
        July 30, 2012, 11:26 am

“So much hatred in your words
        ErsatzYisrael where does it come from ?”

If the propaganda of zionism were to cease reverberating in your ears for a moment, you might hear the screams of terror and the crying of babies and the whimpering of loss, suffered by the Palestinians at your hands. These cries is the foundation upon which your state is built. Those of us who can hear the din of the oppression come to hate those who cause it and who refuse to hear it.

July 30, 2012, 2:56 pm

“So much hatred in your words
        ErsatzYisrael where does it come from ?”

Maybe from staring into a cesspool of unbelievable and continuous deceit, viciousness, and bigotry that one is forced to support?

That could do it. It does it for me.

• Shingo
        July 30, 2012, 6:24 pm

ErsatzYisrael where does it come from ?

The same place Israeli hatred for Nazi Germany comes from.

• MRW
        August 1, 2012, 1:06 am

You do know that Shmuel is/was an Israeli and that he translates for a living, don’t you, including into and out of Hebrew.

August 5, 2012, 2:44 pm

I agree, OlegR, for a man to expect more from his religion or culture then it has to give will always put him on a collision course with it. Shmuel should scale back his expectations, go back to Israel, and make sure he’s got a quick way out when the tref hits the fan.

August 7, 2012, 1:12 pm

“I see something in Jewishness issues in crisis if jewish identity topic. 1031 replys so far so that ain’t so clear i think.”

I would go there and tear that thread to pieces, if it didn’t take so long to load. And the comments are all too short!

• Shingo
      July 29, 2012, 9:49 am

BTW. I am making aliyah with my family next month.

Do you plan on stealing any land?

• proudzionist777
        July 29, 2012, 10:13 am

@Shingo

‘Do you plan on stealing any land?’

No. I plan on working hard in order to pay for it.

• mig
        July 29, 2012, 10:41 am

proudsomething:

No. I plan on working hard in order to pay for it.

What, you must pay from stolen land. wow…

• Charles Barwin
        July 29, 2012, 12:35 pm

“No. I plan on working hard in order to pay for it.”

Is it hard work filling out those forms for subsidized housing?

July 29, 2012, 5:18 pm

“@Shingo

‘Do you plan on stealing any land?’

No. I plan on working hard in order to pay for it.”

Generally, buying stolen property is considered a crime in itself. In at least some countries, it doesn’t even have to be proven that you knew it was stolen.

If you were so inclined, you could restrict yourself to land that was in Jewish hands prior to 1948. However, the historical circumstances are such that buying any other land in Israel would amount to receiving what is in all probability stolen property.

Therefore, (absent the rather improbable case I outlined above) you propose to engage in a criminal act.

• ErsatzYisrael
        July 29, 2012, 5:28 pm

proudracist777 says:
        July 29, 2012 at 10:13 am

“@Shingo

‘Do you plan on stealing any land?’

No. I plan on working hard in order to pay for it.”

• Kris
        July 29, 2012, 10:54 pm

Assuming your family includes children, it amazes me that you want them to live in a place where their lives will be based on oppression and theft.

Although it can be very hard in the U.S. to make a living, don’t forget that life is so short, and eternity is so long. How can the subsidies you will get for becoming a colonialist be worth the damage you will do to your souls?

July 30, 2012, 2:52 pm

“You are so incredibly deluded, in your complicity, that I almost pity you. And once the realization of the truth hits you, that truth will have you tearing off chunks of your soul “in order to pay for it”.”

I wonder. You’re assuming that ‘proudzionist777′ is a good and moral person.

I’d say his handle suggests otherwise. I’ve encountered exactly one supporter of Israel who struck me as a decent guy.

He really stood out. The exception that proves the rule.

August 5, 2012, 2:50 pm

“once the realization of the truth hits you, that truth will have you tearing off chunks of your soul “in order to pay for it”.

Check his comment archive. This is hysterical, and not to be missed. This poor booger, got himself so upset, got his kishkas in such an uproar, that he’s leaving for Israel! He’ll show Mondoweiss who’s boss!
        Wait a minute, I forgot to consider that maybe Pudzanyist 123 made the US too hot to hold him, and is making a convenient Aliyah one step ahead of…

Oh, no doubt he’ll tell us his reasons…

July 29, 2012, 5:12 pm

” BTW. I am making aliyah with my family next month.

Do you plan on stealing any land?”

Isn’t that what he just said?

• Shingo
        July 30, 2012, 4:16 am

Isn’t that what he just said?

Not quite. He intends to pay for stolen property – at a huge discount of course.

• dimadok
      July 29, 2012, 10:07 am

Welcome and good luck to you and your family.

July 29, 2012, 7:38 pm

“BTW. I am making aliyah with my family next month…”

Sadly, you’ll probably be back all too soon. The life of an armchair Zionist is much easier.

• jon s
      August 2, 2012, 3:27 pm

pz777,
      Welcome, barukh haba, (assuming you’re not going to some settlement…)
      I’d be happy to direct you to the best hummus…

August 5, 2012, 2:55 pm

“(assuming you’re not going to some settlement…)”

Don’t worry jon s, a man like “Plowedzionist 456″ can work for the settlements, for the YESHA, wherever he is. He won’t let them down.

Say, maybe he’ll post to Mondoweiss on his Aliyah?

• dbroncos
      August 2, 2012, 9:37 pm

proudzionist777
      “BTW. I am making aliyah with my family next month.”

When you get there make a point of visiting the Palestinian side of the equation – the check points, bypass roads, hospitals, charred olive orchards, etc… Imagine the roles reversed, Palestinians as Jews and vise versa. It may open your eyes to what has made aliyah possible for you. Who knows, you might feel compelled to change your identity.

• eljay
        August 2, 2012, 10:14 pm

>> Who knows, you might feel compelled to change your identity.

The sight of Jewish supremacism at work is more likely to give a hateful and immoral Zio-supremacist like him a woody than it is to make him a better person.

• Woody Tanaka
      August 2, 2012, 10:12 pm

“BTW. I am making aliyah with my family next month.”

Well, the rules of the site won’t let me post my truest, fondest hopes for you and your family.

27. proudzionist777
    July 29, 2012, 10:15 am

@dimadok

Thanks bro.

28. proudzionist777
    July 29, 2012, 10:16 am

@Phil

Hey Phil.
    I’m in Israel till Tuesday. Lets meet up for a beer!

29. Dexter
    July 29, 2012, 1:55 pm

I love reading the silly posts of this “Oleg” person. He is from Eastern Europe….still can’t quite figure out why loves Israel so much. Why not love his Eastern European country as much?!

August 7, 2012, 1:15 pm

“Why not love his Eastern European country as much?!”

Haven’t you heard? Communism has fallen. And that meant quite a few people found it in their best interest to split.

30. Kathleen
    July 29, 2012, 9:44 pm

Phil what a great post. I forget when you said your blinders first came off. Was it during the push for the invasion of Iraq ( I think I have read that here at MW) Have never been to the area but lots of friends have for decades and have heard these stories for decades. Read about them. And now folks have been able to throw up live coverage of the persistent humiliation since our MSM refuses to do so.

So wonderful that so many more people have taken their blinders off, jumped on the truth and justice bus over the last five or so years. Such a good thing. But as peace and justice activist Art Gish (two years ago this month Art passed) had been saying for the last ten years “the situation on the ground had gotten worse for the Palestinians”

Phil the images of brutal humiliation and oppression that you so eloquently describe shake up folks moral cores. Keep it up brother. Shake it up. Amazing they still let you into the country

31. seafoid
    July 30, 2012, 8:02 am

“No, they must be constrained at every turn, and choked, so they want to fly away. I would fly away. I’d move to the Gulf, I’d go to Europe, I’d give up.”

If that is what you really believe, Phil, you don’t understand what it is to be a Palestinian. It is better to live in a refugee camp in Gaza than to be CEO of JP Morgan. Because once the people leave Palestine dies. And Palestine can’t die. Jews have a very different history- americans too. If Springsteen had been Palestinian his most famous song would have been “Born to live here”.

anyway nobody wants 5 million Palestinians so they couldn’t go even if they wanted to . And only the global bourgeoisie have the freedom to choose where to live.

32. seafoid
    July 30, 2012, 8:47 am

“a boot in the face of a civilized people.”

Beautiful line. the Palestinians have been pauperised by Zionism but they are a civilised people. Far more class than the dumbed down doped out on fear and hatred conscripts of the IDF. People who know their worth.

33. Sassan
    July 30, 2012, 3:33 pm

• Exiled At Home
      August 2, 2012, 1:56 pm

This site openly admits to censorship (see comment policy). There are no claims to value freedom of expression.

Incidentally, the majority of censorship is of opinions and expressions critical of Israel that this site deems as unproductive, in so much as it “sullies” the good image of Mondoweiss.

August 3, 2012, 3:17 am

“As I have said time and time again, it is ironic that my posts don’t go through due to the censorship of this site. Where is the free expression that the founder of this site so much claims to value?”

Assuming it’s happening at all, I really think it must be because you don’t say anything worth hearing.

While a few of my posts haven’t shown up, there doesn’t seem to be any pattern to it — and I say some pretty extreme things. I’ve also seen some remarks by defenders of Israel that I find utterly loathsome. Finally, I’ve traded some fairly sharp remarks with other posters. There are no particular fetters of either ideology or courtesy that I can see.

…so it must just be the quality (or lack thereof) of your posts, guy. Try writing something intelligent and thoughtful.

August 5, 2012, 3:01 pm

Okay, Colin, you caught on. I shoulda known you would, you’re too smart not to. The continual celebration which was the Moderator’s Suite at Mondo Towers, has devolved into the bawdiest kind of revelry and wassail. Nobody is reading, let alone moderating anything, they just go over and press the “reject post” button at random, so Phil and the rest of the writers think they’re working. Then they go back to the champagne-fountain and dancing on the tables.

• jon s
        August 6, 2012, 1:14 am

Mooser,
        If you look down from your window at Mondo Towers, you can see me on the picket line in front of the entrance. I’m the guy holding up the “Bring Back Richard Witty” sign. I’m also handing out “We Want Witty” stickers.

• Cliff
        August 6, 2012, 3:32 am

Witty who?

August 7, 2012, 1:20 pm

“I’m the guy holding up the “Bring Back Richard Witty” sign. I’m also handing out “We Want Witty” stickers.”

Why stand out there in the heat, with the scopes of the security guards trained on you from the second floor? You can find Richard Witty at his blog “Liberal Zionism” where he still dispenses his inimitable brand of pap. Isn’t that better than standing out there schvitzing?
        And I congratulate you on the success of your campaign to re-instate Witty..

August 7, 2012, 1:24 pm

“Where is the free expression that the founder of this site so much claims to value?”

In every one of his posts, Sassan. It’s in every one of his posts.

34. dbroncos
    August 2, 2012, 9:50 pm

Thanks for the post, Phil. safe travels.