NYT-Adelson baton pass

Video 16 0 00 11 11
Adelson in Jerusalem, wearing Romney button, leaning on aide’s shoulder

I’m told that Sheldon Adelson’s shop, Sands Las Vegas, just hired Todd McCarty as head of global Human Resources. McCarty is still listed as senior VP for Human Resources at the New York Times, but Times publisher Arthur O. Sulzburger Jr. apparently informed staff of the move in an email.

McCarty worked at Starwood (they own a bunch of the hotel chains) prior to his coming to the NYT, so it probably is just hotel/casino deal. And yet… given the timing and the money that Adelson has been throwing around lately, you wonder if McCarty is being newly overpaid for something more than his HR skills. The NYT editorial page has been tough on Adelson of late, and that whole China/Macao thing seems like it has legs, news-wise. So maybe there’s a message in the hire?

(I called a couple execs at the New York Times to confirm the news; haven’t heard from them.)

1. Kathleen
    August 10, 2012, 12:04 pm

Not a whisper about the Israeli Palestinian conflict during the Diane Rehm international hour. Not a whisper about Palestinian home demolitions, illegal settlement expansion. There is a serious pattern developing over at that show. They used to at least mention this issue. No longer. Must be feeling some pressure.

• Merk
      August 10, 2012, 1:56 pm

What does this have to do w/ Adelson?

• Kathleen
        August 11, 2012, 10:14 am

nothing. Just an observation. So where is your comment about Adelson.

• American
      August 10, 2012, 2:28 pm

It’s developing everywhere in the media.
      Some discussion program, 60 minutes or whatever, on last night, presented every single neo hack from the Bush adm to regurgitate every single lie about the invasions of Iraq and reasons and justifications for it.
      It was astounding, like going back in a time machine to the days of –The Propaganda.
      Seriously listening to this stuff will make you crazy….it”s like Chinese water torture where your forehead will be endlessly and monotonously dripped on until you say black is white.

2. American
    August 10, 2012, 2:17 pm

”And yet… given the timing and the money that Adelson has been throwing around lately, you wonder if McCarty is being newly overpaid for something more than his HR skills. The NYT editorial page has been tough on Adelson of late, and that whole China/Macao thing seems like it has legs, news-wise. So maybe there’s a message in the hire? ”

Logical deduction. McCarty as press PR expediter and probably with access to a lot of the NYT inside gov agencies and political contacts Adelson needs to be kept abreast of and counter.

3. ColinWright
    August 10, 2012, 3:45 pm

I hate this horrible feeling of being drawn into something evil.

I don’t subscribe to the more extravagant conspiracy theories, and I don’t even think there’s necessarily any coherent goal here — but nevertheless…

It’s as if one is standing on a beach of a certain decency that was always there — but now one can feel an increasingly strong undertow.

To complete the simile, I’m not sure we know how to swim.

• Krauss
      August 11, 2012, 12:58 am

Sorry, but that sentence is hilarious. Reminds me of “I’m not a racist, but…”

The rest you wrote is read like a poem from an ungifted amateur.
      If you want to Jew-monger just go ahead and be brave about it.

• ColinWright
        August 11, 2012, 2:34 pm

Krauss says: “If you want to Jew-monger just go ahead and be brave about it.”

?

The only explanation I can see for this sentence is some kind of paranoia on your part. I wasn’t thinking about Jews at all when I wrote my post.