A young Israeli woman gets her picture taken with African ‘animals’

From Facebook:

Tel Aviv foto
Tel Aviv foto

Translation of her caption:

[surely NOT their real names]

From my correspondent:

I recall a work day in 2007 on a plot of land belonging to a Palestinian family, on the seam line between Hebron and the Israeli settlement Kiryat Arba. The plot had been illegally seized by settlers, and members of the family were too terrified to try and access their land without solidarity activists. It was interesting to hear some of the verbal abuse coming from settlers. “Go marry a Nig___” was uttered more than once, at some of the women activists.

Many of the commenters on Facebook are now criticizing this woman, after the post had been circulated in left-leaning circles (and religious commenters cannot use Facebook on a Sabbath), but her views are shared by many Israelis, including those who assault Africans here.

1. MRW
    September 22, 2012, 2:19 pm

Vile.

2. Annie Robbins
    September 22, 2012, 2:39 pm

wow

3. ColinWright
    September 22, 2012, 2:40 pm

I’d be curious to know whether the woman is an American settler.

• pineywoodslim
      September 23, 2012, 9:22 am

For some reason, that was one of my first questions as well. The statement seemed so familiar to this American’s ears.

Of course, she could be from anywhere.

4. Woody Tanaka
    September 22, 2012, 2:43 pm

No surprise here. Surely the level of vile racism necessary to be a zionist surely wouldn’t be limited solely to Arabs.

• Klaus Bloemker
      September 22, 2012, 8:07 pm

“racism necessary to be a zionist” – Woody

When I say: The racism stems from Judaism, Mondoweiss shouts: ‘No, no, no – it’s just the bad Zionists’. – The aversion of many American Jews towards Obama is not only based on him being less Israel friendly but also because he is black.

• Woody Tanaka
        September 23, 2012, 9:04 am

Klaus,

I believe you are wrong. It has been my experience that while there is significant bigotry issues in the American Jewish community, they are no not more bigoted than the average American. (For example, MOST American Jews support Obama, regardless of his race and his views on israel.)

• pineywoodslim
        September 23, 2012, 9:24 am

The aversion of many Americans in general–Catholics and Protestants–is also based on his being black.

• Klaus Bloemker
        September 23, 2012, 1:02 pm

Woody, piney – I see, I was wrong (or rather stupid).

• Carowhat
        September 23, 2012, 5:51 pm

Herman Cain, a very dark skinned black compared to Obama, was wildly popular in the Tea Party, a group which is overwhelmingly composed of religious whites. I don’t know why Tea Party types would oppose Obama but support Cain unless their opposition to Obama was rooted in his politics, not his color.

• Bing Bong
        September 25, 2012, 11:12 am

Klaus, are you some sort of secret sleeper weapon implanted here as an agent provocateur?

It’s too good to be true, on the face of it up to speed with the MW message and eager to participate but often just a bit off, just not quite hitting the target and in doing so revealing the WTF’edness present here until someone else has to take time out from demonising Israel to lead you by the hand off to the side for a rest.

And your persona is German too, a disguise made up of a position pointedly removed from the apologies to and rightful support of Israel from today’s Fatherland?

I’ve sussed you Klaus and hereby claim my prize!

• Klaus Bloemker
        September 25, 2012, 2:35 pm

Bing Bong –

You are close. But it’s not so much agent provocateur than the devil’s advocate. And you know which devil I mean. (I do it out of fairness
        to the devil – isn’t that fair enough?)

• Bing Bong
        September 26, 2012, 4:19 am

Like!!

?

• Klaus Bloemker
        September 27, 2012, 6:54 pm

Bing Bong –

You ask me who the devil is, who’s advocate I am. I better not introduce him to you. Because if I do, you might go to hell. (I don’t want you to go there.)

5. Philip Munger
    September 22, 2012, 2:45 pm

This lady is even nuttier than what the picture and the made-up names for the refugees indicate. She’s apparently a big fan of Yigal Amir, Yitzhak Rabin’s assassin.

Max Blumenthal tweeted a link last night to an article by Ami Kaufman at +972, about how this young woman’s image has gone viral on facebook, in photoshop art:

link to 972mag.com

6. Abu Malia
    September 22, 2012, 2:48 pm

They done lost their rabbit ass minds!

7. notatall
    September 22, 2012, 3:10 pm

Note the photo of Che Guevara on the t-shirt.

8. eljay
    September 22, 2012, 4:22 pm

FYI, I logged into FB, but the provided link resolves to:

——————————————–
    This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
    ——————————————–

I take this as a good sign.

9. DICKERSON3870
    September 22, 2012, 9:38 pm

RE: “There are no signs saying Do Not Take Photos With the animals on Display. There were no signs saying it’s forbidden to feed them, but this we did not do. With Abuba Buba, Obunga Dobunga, Znbura Buka Caluga Chaka and Sabuba” ~ white supremacist settler zealot

YOU GUESSED IT: I am once again reminded of Georgia’s notorious white supremacist J.B. Stoner (who likened black people to an extension of the ape family)!

FROM WIKIPEDIA [J.B. Stoner]:

(EXCERPTS) Jesse Benjamin “J.B.” Stoner (April 13, 1924 – April 23, 2005) was an American segregationist who was convicted in 1980 of the bombing in 1958 of the Bethel Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama.[1]
    He was a founder and long-time chairman of the National States’ Rights Party and publisher of its newsletter, “The Thunderbolt”. Stoner unsuccessfully attempted to run as a Democrat for several political offices in order to promote his white supremacist agenda. . .
    . . . Stoner once said that “being a Jew [should] be a crime punishable by death”.[1] He ran the National States’ Rights Party, which attracted such fringe political figures as A. Roswell Thompson, a perennial Democratic candidate for governor of Louisiana and mayor of New Orleans. . .
    . . . Stoner ran for governor of Georgia in 1970. During this campaign, where he called himself the “candidate of love”, he described Hitler as “too moderate,” black people as an extension of the ape family, and Jews as “vipers of hell.”[1] The primary was won by civil rights supporter and future President Jimmy Carter. Stoner then ran for the United States Senate in 1972, finishing fifth in the Democratic Party primary with just over 40,000 votes. The nomination and election went to Sam Nunn.
    During his Senate campaign, the FCC ruled that television stations had to play his ads due to the fairness doctrine. His ads included the word
    “ni**er.” . . .

SOURCE – link to en.wikipedia.org

P.S. PHOTOS OF J.B. STONER:
    • Stoner as chairman of the National States’ Rights Party - link to google.com
    • “Don’t Tread on Me”, St. Augustine, FL (1964) - link to google.com
    • “I thank God all the time for AIDS” - link to flickr.com

P.S. THE WAY WE WERE (CIRCA 1939); LEST WE FORGET – link to mondoweiss.net
    • Nelson Eddy sings Shortnin Bread 13.09.1939.wmv (VIDEO, 02:39) – link to youtube.com

• DICKERSON3870
      September 22, 2012, 9:50 pm

P.P.S. SPEAKING OF WHITE SUPREMACIST (ATTORNEY) J.B. STONER, HERE IS SOME INFO ABOUT PAMELA GELLER’S VERY OWN ‘TEA PARTYING’, “WHITE SUPREMACIST” ATTORNEY.

SEE: “David Yerushalmi, Islam-Hating White Supremacist Inspires Anti-Sharia Bills Sweeping Tea Party Nation, by Richard Silverstein, Tikun Olam,

[EXCERPTS] You’ve gotta hand it to David Yerushalmi. Until now, I can’t recall a Jew who’s ever been called a white supremacist before (actually now that I think of it, I called him a Jewish white supremacist way back in 2007). Thanks to him, we now can. . .
      . . . I’m referring to an eye-opening expose in Mother Jones about the inspiration the Jewish extremist is offering for the anti-Muslim legal initiatives that are sweeping the south after the victory of one such campaign in Oklahoma a few months ago. . .
      . . . One of the most delicious phrases used to describe the Jewish anti-jihadi is “white supremacist,” to which I say: if the shoe fits . . .
      I’ve also called him a Jewish fascist.
      But white supremacist will do just as well.
      As Murphy notes, this is a guy who endorses the principle that “Caucasians” are superior to blacks and that Jewish liberals are a cancer in the U.S. body politic. The nearest Jewish “intellectual” antecedent I can determine would be Meir Kahane. But Yerushalmi’s views are far more radical than Kahane’s. . .

ENTIRE COMMENTARY – link to richardsilverstein.com

• Woody Tanaka
      September 23, 2012, 9:12 am

“Stoner ran for governor of Georgia in 1970. During this campaign, where he called himself the ‘candidate of love’, he described… black people as an extension of the ape family,”

What an idiot. Biologically, every human on the planet is an ape; specifically an African Great Ape.

10. Taxi
    September 22, 2012, 9:50 pm

She’s utterly revolting inside and out and she’s THE biggest idiot on the planet! Now every African in israel knows her face.

11. ritzl
    September 23, 2012, 3:02 am

Jerry Springer meet Israel. Heh, email sent…

12. bilal a
    September 23, 2012, 3:55 am

Reminescent of Madeline Kahn serving sausages to the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles , a long standing Brooklyn Shtick routine.

13. Mikhael
    September 23, 2012, 11:51 am

Reprehensible as this young woman’s sentiments are, she does not represent most Israelis and it’s ridiculous to indict Israeli society at large because of her. Racism exists everywhere. Racism anti anti-black racist sentiments exist everywhere, INCLUDING among Arabs. Many Palestinian Arabs are also not averse to using racial epithets towards blacks (including the minority of Palestinian Arabs of sub-Saharan African descent). Any black Arab can tell of being called ‘abd (a racial epithet literally meaning slave) by the white Arabs.

An officially sanctioned newspaper printed a vile caricature of Condoleeza Rice pregnant with a monkey about 10 years ago:

link to peacewithrealism.org

I don’t blame all Palestinian Arabs for the vile, nasty racist feelings many harbor towards blacks, so it’s not quite relevant to find individual Israeli Jews who express such shameful attitudes either.

• Taxi
      September 23, 2012, 11:56 pm

Mikhael,
      The problem with israeli zionists is that they’re racist against not just blacks but white non-jews too.

And you just couldn’t help your own racism could you: dragging the Arabs and Palestinians into a subject that was purely about israelis and Africans.

In case you didn’t know, islam forbids racism against blacks, in fact islam liberated African slaves back in the day. Moslems who are racist are not true moslems. Also, the word ‘abd’ is not a derogatory word in Arabic, though some people i’m sure abuse it, ‘abd’ is the first half of popular names like Abdullah, Abdulkareem etc.

• Mayhem
        September 24, 2012, 2:42 am

Is the new low level to which debate and discussion on MW has sunk?
        Snipers targeting Israeli/Jewish individuals who behave badly with their pea-shooters.
        And this simple-minded comparison with the way Islams supposedly conduct themselves

@taxi, you might like to refer to link to en.wikipedia.org on wikipedia before you push out your ill-informed views next time

In the early 20th century (post World War I) slavery was gradually outlawed and suppressed in Muslim lands, largely due to pressure exerted by Western nations such as Britain and France. However, slavery claiming the sanction of Islam is documented presently in the African republics of Chad, Mauritania, Niger, Mali and Sudan.

• Bing Bong
        September 24, 2012, 8:14 am

“Is the new low level to which debate and discussion on MW has sunk?”

Think of it this way, if they are reduced to; “Individual Israeli says Racist Comment” then MW must be running out of ideas in the ‘war of ideas for the Middle East’ or whatever euphemism they call their commentary.

I had to point out that the term Yid made it past the moderator the other day.

link to mondoweiss.net

Why didn’t “Individual on MW Makes Racist Comment, Moderator Suspected of being Racist Too” make the front page?

• Woody Tanaka
        September 24, 2012, 8:44 am

“I had to point out that the term Yid made it past the moderator the other day.”

And I noticed that you are never anywhere to be found when the equally vile term “Pal” is tossed around here by you people. Such are your principles…

• Bing Bong
        September 24, 2012, 9:35 am

I would never use the term, I am also not a moderator at MW. If I were I would not let an offensive term be published. Obviously I wouldn’t let a lot of things be published that are on display here.

You’d have free reign though Woody.

• Woody Tanaka
        September 24, 2012, 9:57 am

“I remember I’ve seen the term used once here (I think) in a discussion about whether the term was offensive or amiable, perhaps someone has a link to the outcome?”

How about all the statements by the zios claiming their “right” to the land of the Palestinian people? Those words are much more vile than the slur you referenced. Do you remember seeing them too??

“Obviously I wouldn’t let a lot of things be published that are on display here.”

Of course you wouldn’t. Scratch a zionist, uncover a fascist.

• Cliff
        September 24, 2012, 5:10 pm

On the contrary, if MW were to post a thread on every racist Israeli utterance about Africans, Arabs, etc. then this website would just become a compilation if The Onion’s greatest hits.

If this psycho settler meme is any indication that is.

And @mayhem,

European slavery, I.e. the transatlantic slave-trade/the Middle passage is the first prominent/major sustained time in history if CHATTAL SLAVERY.

No other form of slavery before and hopefully after compared.

The slavery carried out by the Barbary States (hence, you can essentially say ‘Islamic’ and generally their slave trade was also known as the Arab slave trade I think) was a completely different beast.

Slaves in the era of the Barbary States were mostly captured during war and forced back into war service for and by the captors. There was no large-scale plantations so there was no large-scale plantation slavery. Instead you had servants and the like.

In Africa, there was a zero-sum-game between the African kingdoms – they viewed slavery as a tool/currency of power and war. The Europeans traded with whoever traded in people and the African kingdoms who didn’t trade got outgunned very quickly and wiped out by those who played the game.

There was also no conception of fellow Africans. Africans captured and would help enslave ‘other Africans’ – because the notion itself was a non-issue.

• notatall
        September 28, 2012, 6:05 pm

I have no wish to defend slavery, but it not the same as racial supremacism. Slavery has existed in many societies without the ideology of race. Algerian “pirates” in the Barbary States (the North African counterparts of Raleigh and other English privateers) captured 466 English merchant vessels between 1609 and 1616. During a ten-day period in 1605, a thousand English seamen were carried off as slaves and twenty-seven vessels were seized. It had nothing to do with “race,” it was just business. Zionism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the belief in Jewish racial supremacy.

• ColinWright
        September 30, 2012, 8:11 pm

Mayhem says: “…Is the new low level to which debate and discussion on MW has sunk?
        Snipers targeting Israeli/Jewish individuals who behave badly with their pea-shooters…”

Kinda get us coming and going, doncha?

If the remark is about ‘Israelis’ in general, well, that’s anti-semitism. If it’s about individual Israelis, ”is this the new level to which debate and discussion on MW has sunk?’

In my view, she’s an entirely typical Israeli, and the remarks Israeli politicians make suggest that this is so.

• Mikhael
        September 24, 2012, 8:04 pm

The problem with you is that you generalize about an entire ethnicity of of people in a certain country who share the belief that their country has a right to exist. You may not be a “racist” (by definition a racist is someone who believes that biological, hereditible genetic attributes render people of one race superior or inferior to another so-called race, you may have that belief or you may not, I don’t know) but your words condemn you as a bigot.

Sure, it’s racist for me to explicitly say that the woman’s actions were reprehensible and disgusting, but it’s also “racist” for me to make the true observation that her sentiments are unfortunately shared by many people of all ethnicities, even including Palestinian Arabs.

That’s great, but many black people were also enslaved by Muslim Arabs. The black Bedouin Arabs living in the Negev desert in and around Beersheva come to be there because their ancestors were enslaved, bought and sold and brought there by white Arabic-speaking people who practiced Islam. In any case, show me where I mentioned Islam or its attitudes towards slavery (a complex subject) even once in my post above.

The point of my post was not to say that Islam or Arabic-speaking nations are inherently racist against blacks, or even that most of them feel that way. I clearly wrote above that “I don’t blame all Palestinian Arabs for the vile, nasty racist feelings many harbor towards blacks,” but to point out the hypocrisy of this blog’s gleeful emphasis of a Jew unfortunately indulging in hate speech while pretending that it’s something that is something unique to Jews in Israel or very scarce among Arabs. The only reason the story came to light after all was because Ms. Ayala Ben-Naftali’s vile Facebook pic went viral mostly because it outraged Israeli (a fair proportion of whom were probably ZIONIST) commentators and that attracted walla! and Haaretz news coverage.

Really disingenuous obfuscation. Sure, in a religious community it’s positive to bestow a name like “Abdullah” (servant of God) on someone (a cognate of the Hebrew Ovadia) , but taunting a person of color with “Ya ‘abd” and never using that with a white Arab is not quite the same, is it?

• Taxi
        September 25, 2012, 1:01 am

Mikhael,

Sorry I couldn’t be bothered to read the whole of your post cuz you’re defending israeli racism from the getgo by pointing out Arab racism (weapon of distraction much?). Racism is so ingrained in you and your people that it’s just simply pointless to discuss this with you. Try googling israeli racism and see how many hits you get. I rest my case.

@bingbong,
        The only people “running out of ideas” here is you and your army of ethnic-cleansing zionist pals. If you’re a non-Palestinian jew and living in the holy land, then you’re full-on approving and supporting ethnic cleansing.

NO Ifs AND BUTs ABOUT THIS!

• Cliff
        September 26, 2012, 7:41 am

Mik, get a new shtick.

The false equivalency bit isn’t working for you. Israeli racism is ignored, nurtured, whitewashed and on top of it all – mainstream, institutionalized, and far outweighs the Palestinian counter-part.

If a Muslim cleric in where-ever-the-f***istan says something hateful about Jews, America, etc. then it’s circulated into the mainstream Islamophobic rhetoric that dominates our political culture. However, something like this will never mitigate Israel and Zionism’s false image of a beleaguered, liberal democracy fending off hordes of Arab Islamist barbarians.

This isn’t about the racism itself because surely we can issue mindless platitudes about how both sides need to love one another and deal with their fringe crazies. This is about image and reality – of which I’m sure you have a firm grasp.

The Israeli hasbara handbook, entitled the ‘World Union of Jewish Students Hasbara Handbook: A Guide to Promoting Israel on Campus’, advises hasbarats like yourself to engage in dishonest verbiage rather than nuanced discussion.

• ColinWright
        September 30, 2012, 8:17 pm

Mikhael says: ‘The problem with you is that you generalize about an entire ethnicity of of people in a certain country who share the belief that their country has a right to exist. ‘

…a belief which is mistaken, and which implies precisely the kind of rampant racism, oppression, and sheer, pointless cruelty that is so characteristic of Israel.

A ‘belief’ is not necessarily an innocent, reasonable proposition. I may have the belief that I am entitled to a house. If the house happens to belong to others, problems are pretty sure to ensue. In fact, I’ll probably have to regularly club the erstwhile owners with a baseball bat if I’m to make them stay in the garage.

…as you do.

• Mikhael
        October 3, 2012, 4:23 am

Show me where I defended Israeli racism. I believe the exact word I initially used to describe this girl’s behavior was “reprehensible”. (Scroll to my first post on this topic.) There must be something wrong with my dictionary or vocabulary if by using the word “reprehensible” I can be seen as defending racist behaviour. Thank you for pointing this out to me, ya ‘ustadh Taksi.

Of course my post was not to defend racist behavior, merely pointing out the hypocrisy of Phillip Weiss in highlighting a clueless NOBODY who puts a reprehensible (did I misuse the word “reprehensible” again? Am I using it right or wrong, ya ustadh? Because I’m trying to say that the girl did a bad thing by using that complicated word, so maybe you can correct me if you think my using the word “reprehensible” is “defending” her) photo on her Facebook page, whilst IGNORING the many instances of racism that exist in Arab society. Oh, dear me, aren’t I awful to say something so racist as point out that Arabs can also be racist? How could I be such a bad person? I mean, to say that racism exists in Arab society (as it surely does in Israeli society) would be like saying they are human beings too and that Arab society has some of the same faults as Israeli-Jewish society. But you know better, Arabs are angels and Israelis are devils. Silly me for not grasping this.

• Mikhael
        October 3, 2012, 4:33 am

Cliff,

I’m pointing out Phillip Weiss’s ludicrous highlighting of some stupid nobody who put an obnoxious post up on Facebook as somehow indicative of Israeli public opinion in general. Any society has jerks who make racist comments. What is remarkable about this stupid bitch’s Facebook page is that many Israelis made an issue of it and mocked her, thus turning it to an Internet meme, thus bringing it to the attention of the Israeli media and ultimately to Mondoweiss’s attention.

If you had ANY reading comprehension at all, you would understand that my point was that if an Arab makes a racist comment (and many surely do), I would not condemn all of Arab society as inherently racist, nor would it be deemed newsworthy if some random Arab jerk puts an obnoxious racist Facebook picture on her wall. But pointing out the fact that many Arabs do make racist comments about blacks (never mind the shocking inflammatory language used against Jews in Arab media) is apparently racist in and of itself in the bizarro world of Mondoweiss.

• Mikhael
        October 3, 2012, 4:47 am

Cliff says:
        September 26, 2012 at 7:41 am

The difference is the Muslim clerics you’re talking about usually make these reprehensible (Taxi, can you tell me if I’m using the word right or not?) statements on state-supported TV or in the mainstream media of those countries. Often they are government employees. This is just a random dopey bitch with a Facebook page.

• Shingo
      September 26, 2012, 7:43 am

So where is the condemnation in Israel?

• Mikhael
        October 3, 2012, 4:36 am

Shingo says:
        September 26, 2012 at 7:43 am

So where is the condemnation in Israel?

The whole reason her obnoxious post came to the media’s attention, and thus ultimately, Mondoweiss’s attention, is because other Israeli Facebook users mocked her and shamed her. That’s not condemnation enough for you?

• Mikhael
        October 3, 2012, 4:40 am

Shingo asks : So where is the condemnation in Israel?

Just google the girl’s name in Hebrew, Ayala ben Naftali, and you see that the Israeli public’s response to her was overwhelmingly negative.

link to google.co.il…0.0…1c.1.pHhbfjjYywE&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=5784fd5e9f96caef&biw=1280&bih=833

14. seafoid
    September 23, 2012, 4:21 pm

She has the religious headgear but she’s not a good person. A hypocrite

September 25, 2012, 1:34 pm

I don’y know seafoid, where I come from, good people don’t wear religious headgear. They leave it the hell home or in in their place of worship and meet others as fellow human beings. In fact, I always take religious headgear as a pretty good clue that I am not dealing with a good person, but that’s just me. AT any rate I’d prefer not to be alone with them and keep the door open and both feet on the floor, thank you.

15. Liz18
    September 23, 2012, 5:38 pm

She is living in an environment where this type of behavior is ok. Had Israel truly been “a light unto the nations,” she’d never gotten away with doing this.

16. Accentitude
    September 25, 2012, 5:32 am

Having been to most parts of Israel, including Tel Aviv, which is currently being “cleansed” (as a cab driver once told me) of Africans, Arabs and anyone not fitting the profile of a white Jew, this is not unusual at all.

17. Mooser
    September 25, 2012, 1:31 pm

So is she an example of settler chic? Or, like whatever, but it’s not an attractive look.
    Got to admit, I wouldn’t have believed so much pretension could be squeezed in there with so much petty visciousness. Glad it’s not my job to talk to her.