Garrison Keillor comes out, slightly

Israel/PalestineUS Politics

From Garrison Keillor’s opening patter on the Sept. 29 edition of his “Prairie Home Companion” public-radio show:

garrison keillor3

This week was the high holy day Yom Kippur on Wednesday, and I should have said, last week, uh, to all the Jews in my life that you have nothing to atone for to me – you know, you’ve been wonderful people, and so none of you has any sins that you need to worry about as far as I’m concerned. Rich, Gary, all you guys there, … [proceeds to recite first names of many Jewish friends] and all my friends: nothing, nothing to atone for whatsoever. and I really feel bad that I didn’t say anything last week. I just really feel bad. I should have said something. You’ve got stuff to make up to the Palestinians for [laughter]. Your people have produced some really dreadful movies – some good movies, but, you know, some real stinkers as well.

Speaking of that, the opening production of the Minnesota Opera Company is Verdi’s Nabucco…

Hear it here, starting at 4 minutes, 37 seconds. (h/t Marianne Torres)

1. Oklahoma farmer
    October 2, 2012, 6:20 pm

Garrison “comes out slightly”????

Well, BS. Your feign faulting fools no one….. Grow some cojones Garrison…..Stand for something instead of your interminable weekly blah.

2. ColinWright
    October 2, 2012, 6:44 pm

Gasp…he said what?

Garrison Keillor has what amounts to tenure. I hope the Zionists make the mistake of attempting to flame him over this. It’ll be as big a defeat as ‘Cast Lead’ — and a whole lot less bloody.

3. MRW
    October 2, 2012, 7:33 pm

There goes the neighborhood.

4. pabelmont
    October 2, 2012, 7:55 pm

He said “Palestinian” on NPR? Not bad. “Car Talk”, next? (Gosh, no, they’ve retired!)

5. American
    October 2, 2012, 10:33 pm

I’m not familiar with Keillor, but that was a very slight come out.
    Seems there are some other come outs….ever so slightly.

link to cato.org

The Case for Ending Aid to Israel
    by Doug Bandow

6. Kathleen
    October 2, 2012, 11:26 pm

Garrison is a genius in my book. His sense of humor, insights sharp. He generally does not go all political. He did bash Bush,Cheney Iraq war mongers quite a bit but generally does not rip on politics too much. A tad. So this is unusual and spot on

• ToivoS
      October 3, 2012, 4:07 am

Garrison does not go political ?? My god K where have you been. I remember him mercilessly trashing my favorite governor Jesse Ventura.

• Kathleen
        October 3, 2012, 6:52 pm

I listen often but not always. I did say “generally” two times. And did give examples of him bashing Bush, Cheney etc

• seafoid
      October 3, 2012, 7:42 am

I like his sense of humour. I remember something he wrote about 20 years ago – the patron saint of parents is “our lady of perpetual responsibility”.

• marc b.
      October 3, 2012, 8:20 am

i’m not a huge fan, kathleen, keillor’s schtick can get repetitive, but he is a bright guy with an ear for the language, and he did a splendid evisceration of that dolt, bernard henry levee, who wrote a book (yes, a book!) about america.

Any American with a big urge to write a book explaining France to the French should read this book first, to get a sense of the hazards involved. Bernard-Henri Lévy is a French writer with a spatter-paint prose style and the grandiosity of a college sophomore; he rambled around this country at the behest of The Atlantic Monthly and now has worked up his notes into a sort of book. It is the classic Freaks, Fatties, Fanatics & Faux Culture Excursion beloved of European journalists for the past 50 years, with stops at Las Vegas to visit a lap-dancing club and a brothel; Beverly Hills; Dealey Plaza in Dallas; Bourbon Street in New Orleans; Graceland; a gun show in Fort Worth; a “partner-swapping club” in San Francisco with a drag queen with mammoth silicone breasts; the Iowa State Fair (“a festival of American kitsch”); Sun City (“gilded apartheid for the old”);a stock car race; the Mall of America; Mount Rushmore; a couple of evangelical megachurches; the Mormons of Salt Lake; some Amish; the 2004 national political conventions; Alcatraz – you get the idea. (For some reason he missed the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, the adult video awards, the grave site of Warren G. Harding and the World’s Largest Ball of Twine.) You meet Sharon Stone and John Kerry and a woman who once weighed 488 pounds and an obese couple carrying rifles, but there’s nobody here whom you recognize. In more than 300 pages, nobody tells a joke. Nobody does much work. Nobody sits and eats and enjoys their food. You’ve lived all your life in America, never attended a megachurch or a brothel, don’t own guns, are non-Amish, and it dawns on you that this is a book about the French. There’s no reason for it to exist in English, except as evidence that travel need not be broadening and one should be wary of books with Tocqueville in the title.

7. surewin
    October 2, 2012, 11:58 pm

Much better than nothing. By the way, and help me out here, but is he also joking by putting himself in the position of God? “…you have nothing to atone for to me…”

8. David Doppler
    October 3, 2012, 2:27 am

It’s a zinger, all right, and gets a fair laugh. The tabu is dying, and about time. Thank you Bibi, for overplaying your hand so dramatically, that failing to notice your hypocrisy, your blatant and illegal lobbying, your country’s illegal actions, and the cruel abuse of the Palestinians is no longer viable.

And Keillor called out the names of all his Jewish friends, in effect saying you’ve each done right by me, but what about the harm to them being done in your name??? Wedge is clearly drawn, and American Jews need to do something about the embarrassment that holds power in Israel.

Golda Meir came to America and said, “the question for you isn’t whether we will fight. We will fight. The question for you is whether we will win or lose.” That was 30 years ago. Now Bibi is saying, “the question for you isn’t whether you want your own country to fight our wars. We’ll decide that. The question for you is how will you live your lives in America after I’m done with it. Aliyah, anyone?”

9. crone
    October 3, 2012, 7:06 pm

Saw this at Wiki while checking out climate in Malmö, Sweden:

“,,, Antisemitism in Sweden has been increasing after Gaza war in 2009, especially in Malmö, which has a large illegal Muslim community. For example Obamakebab opened up the first kebab stand in Malmö history out of a trailer. According to the Malmö police, hate crimes in the city range from anti-Semitic remarks (a crime according to Swedish penal law) to violent assault. On 2010, the Simon Wiesenthal Center has issued a warning to Jews travelling to Malmö[54]. During the first half of 2011 there has been the same number of anti-Semitic crimes reported as were reported for the whole of 2010 [55]. Due to the sharp rise in anti-Semitic hate crimes, Jews have begun leaving Malmö[56].
    [edit]“

• bilal a
      October 4, 2012, 4:50 am

If Anti-Semetic remarks are illegal in Sweden, could Geller Spencer post their Muslims are savages Advertisement there ?

If we had Sweden;s Anti_Semitism Laws, could we imprison Geller Spencer for Life due to serial felonies ?

10. RoHa
    October 3, 2012, 9:05 pm

“Malmö, Sweden“?

Is there some other Malmö somewhere?