IDF spokesman posts blackface photo of himself as Obama, then issues non-apology

Sacha Dratwa in black face Obama Style
Sacha Dratwa in black face Obama Style, at ASG

The above picture was posted by Israeli army social media official Sacha Dratwa on his Facebook page back in September, and reported three days ago by this site

Dratwa has tried to explain the picture:

There have been attempts to make use of private photos from my Facebook profile in order to publicly misrepresent my opinions. Due to the amount of public attention I’ve garnered in recent days I have decided to restrict access to my page, in order to protect my privacy and prevent further cynical use of the information therein.

I am, and have always been, completely candid about my beliefs and have nothing to hide – as reflected by my Facebook profile, which until recently was open to everyone. The aforementioned photos do not reflect my beliefs and have no bearing whatsoever on my position in the IDF.

By the way, Tablet ran a piece about Dratwa after this photo was posted. So did Gawker. Al Akhbar:

A photo uploaded on September 29 to the Facebook profile of the head of the IDF’s social media unit depicts the lieutenant posing with brown mud on his face under the caption: “Obama style.”

Until today, when the photo began to circulate outside of Israeli circles, none of Dratwa’s friends or any of the 1,639 subscribers appeared to have expressed misgivings about the photo. Curiously, Gawker ran a story about Dratwa’s public Facebook presence only yesterday featuring his photos – but omitted any reference to the brownface Obama one.

About Phil Weiss

Allison Deger is the Assistant Editor of Mondoweiss.net. Follow her on twitter at @allissoncd.
Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 17 comments... read them below or add one }

1. ritzl says:

Keep talkin’ Israel/Israelis. Feel free to express yourselves. It’ll just be between us. Promise.

2. Classic. Israelis believe nothing has changed since the 1930′s and Jim Crow. They don’t even get what is so dumb and revealing about this. But hey, keep those US handouts rolling, so they can indulge in their minstrel show. Unreconstructed, chauvinistic, ill-educated landgrabbers.

3. Citizen says:

LOL.
    On another note, anybody else notice the US congress critters being shown on Fox TV, voicing sudden concern for domestic civil and humanitarian rights in Egypt? Appears they are critical of the new friendship with the new Egypt, “cemented” over Gaza. And why are they all Jewish Americans? I see the AIPAC forces setting up the new adjustment boilerplate for the Arab Spring as it affects Israel.

4. Antidote says:

So this guy runs Israel’s social media propaganda war machine, posing as Obama. Then removes the picture because of accusations of racism. Did I get that right?

Of course there is no other possible interpretation but racists denying their racism

In fact, Obama and his propaganda machine could be accused of racism (anti-semitism) if they did not defend Israel’s right to defend itself by any means, including propaganda.

Obama is just so much cooler than Netanyahu, and only Nixon could go to China

link to counterpunch.org

5. Frankie P says:

“There have been attempts to make use of private photos from my Facebook profile in order to publicly misrepresent my opinions.”

Sorry, Israeli army social media official Sacha Dratwa, but if you are an official for social media, you should understand that nothing posted in Facebook, a public forum, is private. Incompetence?

FPM

6. Mondowise says:

those thinking this is merely a show of racism are missing the far more sinister pathology of narcissism, the incidence of which is extraordinarily high among pro-izraeli zionists, and it is blatantly obvious. expecting a narcissist to show morality and respect on anyone else’s definition of both terms is beyond laughable, not gonna happen cuz nothing exists as real outside their world view, which is pathological…and more often than not, also extremely dangerous.

7. Les says:

Has no one noticed the Americans who emigrate to Israel, occupied East Jerusalem, and the occupied West Bank, in order to act out their white racist fantasies? That racism has been most thoroughly stoked not by our rabbis but by our media.

8. You can’t make this shit up. The person in charge of furthering Israel’s good image via social media is found to have posted a picture of himself in blackface on Facebook, along with a reference to Obama. That’s gold, baby, gold.

What does this say about Tablet, the rag that just did a fawning profile of the operation “Sacha” led? Did they not see this picture? Or did they see the picture and omit mention of it? Someone should ask. -N49.

9. riyadh says:

This is what they think about you – Ice Cube

10. quercus says:

Now I shall add to the controversy. The person shown in the photo is just not very far out of the jungle, is he?

11. ToivoS says:

This should be accepted for what it is: Israel is a deeply racist society and they are totally oblivious to that fact. Sacha’s non-denial denial punctuates that fact. It is obvious that he has no idea why his act offends so many of us in the West.

12. Sumud says:

Imagine the [justifiable] outcry if some US military spokesperson dressed up as a “Wandering Jew” then posted it on fb for a lark.

13. edwin says:

Feeling the love.
    link to vimeo.com

Gilbert Gamesh 2 years ago

IMO interviewing a bunch of drunks to try to stir up animosity is not only really bad journalism but racist as well. Joseph Dana and Max Blumenthal really terrible work.

jared 1 year ago

I hardly see how interviewing drunk kids from america in israel makes any point at all.

14. Edward Q says:

The interesting thing about Dratwa’s defense is that he doesn’t try to discuss the reasons for the criticism and explain why they are wrong. Rather, he claims everyone else is defective and is treating him unfairly.
    He reminds me of Archie Bunker.

15. Israeli army social media official Sacha Dratwa is no different than his superiors. He does not know who butter his bread. Appology is order. I don’t want my tax dollars to supprt creeps who mocks my president and degrade my country.