Help keep Mondoweiss strong — Please give to our end of year fundraising drive today

FeaturesIsrael/PalestineUS Politics

We’ve always depended on readers to support our work, and this winter our pitch could not be more direct. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is again on American front pages, but the story remains the same. Palestinians have gained enhanced status at the United Nations, the Israeli assault on Gaza has brought world attention to Palestinian conditions, Israeli settlement policy is spurring rage in Europe, and the death rattle of the two-state solution is being heard across the world but the American understanding of the conflict remains (almost) as blind as ever.

Politically, Obama and his rival tried to out-Israel one another in their foreign policy debate and most recently Susan Rice lectured the Palestinians for daring to try and exercise self-determination. In the media, a New York Times correspondent informs us that Palestinians are “ho-hum” about their children’s deaths and in academia the incoming chancellor at the University of California renounces his signature on a ten-year-old petition calling for divestment from the Israeli military in order to put on his new robe.

Invention land of Israel
Receive a copy of Shlomo Sand’s new book The Invention of
the Land of Israel
with a donation to Mondoweiss over $60.

The American discourse continues to be the playground of Israel’s friends, and the damage to Palestinians and to the American image overseas continues apace. And we’re optimistic? Yes. The mainstream is dug in on this issue now because they know how much is at stake: All the traditional understandings of the conflict are collapsing, and Palestinians are at last getting a hearing on the world stage as alternative media fills the gap where traditional gatekeepers have fallen down on the job. Please help Mondoweiss continue to push the envelope by making a tax deductible contribution to our year end fundraising drive now.

This site has been an important force for change in the American understanding along with many other groups and individuals who are our friends. Through our relentlessness and focus and passion we have been pushing the story in new ways in the last six months. We have had reporters on the ground in Palestine, we have driven stories picked up by mainstream news outlets and forced accountability for media bias. Our traffic continues to grow, to close to 5 million individual visitors this year, we are publishing a wider array of voices than ever before. Lately we have strengthened our foundation with the naming of a publisher, Scott Roth, and we expect more exciting changes in the new year. We will only be able to continue to grow with your help – please help us reach our goal of raising $40,000 by the end of the year with a tax-deductible donation today.

We need your help and now is the time. For all contributions over $60 we will send you an exciting gift – Shlomo Sand’s brand new book The Invention of the Land of Israel. Sand’s last book was the controversial bestseller The Invention of the Jewish People, and his follow up is sure to spark conversation as well. Mondoweiss continues to tell the story others refuse to tell, and push the issues others shy away from — help us be even louder in 2013.

1. tokyobk
    December 6, 2012, 8:31 am

A book I can get. I just want my star back which disappeared even though I re-upped last time!

I disagree with 50% of the editor’s opinions and 75% of comments but I don’t think people should hang out at sites where they don’t contribute.

MW has been a place where I have had my basic assumptions regularly challenged and also re-confirmed.

Lastly, I am glad that the editors have never allowed themselves to be pushed out of or decided to quit the larger Jewish conversation.

• Keith
      December 7, 2012, 3:12 pm

TOKYOBK- “I just want my star back which disappeared even though I re-upped last time!”

I hear you, big guy! Same thing happened to me. In my case, however, it may be a case of Phil not wanting any aspect of Mondoweiss to be associated with me. Can’t really blame him. My comments are bad enough, but coming from a Mondo star? There goes any remaining shred of credibility. But with you it doesn’t make sense. If it was up to me, you would have your star back in a New York minute! Phil, Adam, give Tokyobk his star back, pronto! With me, use your best judgment. I don’t pretend to know the stressful forces at work here.

• alec
        December 9, 2012, 9:34 pm

Hi tokyobk and Keith,

Your stars have been taken care of until July 1 2013. Thank you for your support!

• AhVee
      December 7, 2012, 11:35 pm

“have had my basic assumptions regularly challenged and also re-confirmed.”

Care to outline what these basic assumptions are, and how they were re-confirmed?

2. eljay
    December 6, 2012, 10:09 am

Donation made. Thank you to everyone at Mondoweiss for their good work. :-)

3. W.Jones
    December 6, 2012, 10:36 am

According to Tablet Magazine, in his 2009 book Shlomo Sands disagrees with the “key assumption” that “Forced from Jerusalem into exile, the Jews dispersed throughout the world”.
    link to tabletmag.com

Actually I think this assumption is true for part of the people, but generalizing the idea misses what that is left unsaid in the sentence: That people were not forced out from the rest of the Holy Land besides Jerusalem, that those in Jerusalem could naturally move to the rest of the Holy Land, and that they did return to Jerusalem throughout the centuries. Mizrahi Jews and many Palestinians themselves are part of the continued ethnic Jewish presence in the Holy Land, and they are overlooked in the widespread western stereotype.

Regards.

• Abdul-Rahman
      December 6, 2012, 10:54 pm

The idea of a supposed “Jewish exile” after 70 CE (by the Romans) is something that no serious historian (Jew or non-Jew) supports; but it is something that is widely just (incorrectly) “accepted” as an alleged “fact” by Zionists and many other people. As Jeremiah Haber noted; link to jeremiahhaber.com

“To this day, most lay people, Jews and non-Jews, accept the myth of the exile, whereas no historian, Jew or non-Jew, takes it seriously.”

Professor Shlomo Sand definitely does take on this (and many more Zionist myths) in his bestselling and award winning 2009 work “The Invention of the Jewish People” link to versobooks.com

One of the main recent academic works on the myth of the “exile” (that Professor Sand cites) was the work (in 2006) of historian Professor Israel Jacob Yuval entitled “The Myth of the Jewish Exile from the Land of Israel: A Demonstration of Irenic Scholarship” link to muse.jhu.edu

Professor Yuval provides a very strong argument that the idea of an alleged “Jewish exile” in 70 CE (again by the Romans) seems to have come into Jewish thinking actually from European Christians (the term “irenic” refers to the study of different sects and religions from the a Christian point of view). Yuval says European Christians said “why are there Jews with us in Europe?” and the answer they came to is “well they must be people that the Romans ‘exiled’ and God allowed this to happen as a punishment for the Jews rejecting Christianity” etc etc. And then later again some Jewish thinkers, and even more recently Zionist ideologues, have picked up the mythology for their own reasons.

If one wants to go to genetics, debatable as all the various studies all are, Palestinians and various Jewish groups appear to be quite similar (especially on the male Y-chromosome side, the female mtDNA side of Jewish individuals appears to be more mixed and often local in origin i.e. in Europe, etc). Some basic links:

link to biology-direct.com

link to ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

link to pnas.org

link to jogg.info

link to arxiv.org

etc.

Ashkenazi Jews actually appear to be closest to Italians and French people (on the Italian part, geneticist Dr. Avshalom Zoossmann-Diskin, Ph.D. argues that the data and historical evidence seems to indicate most modern Ashkenazi Jews appear to be descendants of Roman converts to the religion of Judaism). From a study published June 3, 2010 at GenomeWeb News:

“Ashkenazi Jews seem to be more genetically similar to non-Jewish populations in Northern Italy, France, and Sardinia. Meanwhile, Jewish populations in Iran and Iraq tended to cluster closer to non-Jewish Palestinian, Druze, and Bedouin populations than to Europeans.”

• Sibiriak
        December 17, 2012, 9:01 am

Abdul-Rahman,

Thanks for the links.

The study “The Missing Link of Jewish European Ancestry: Contrasting the Rhineland and the Khazarian Hypotheses” was quite interesting.

The authors seem quite sure that the “Khazarian Hypothesis” is correct.

How definitive do you think their results are? Is this issue still unresolved / highly controversial?

How do their results square with other studies such as Harry Ostrer’s and:

link to cell.com

The IBD segment sharing and the proximity of European Jews to each other and to southern European populations suggested similar origins for European Jewry and refuted large-scale genetic contributions of Central and Eastern European and Slavic populations to the formation of Ashkenazi Jewry

?

I have to admit that I don’t have a really strong grasp of the scientific reasoning behind these various studies.

4. Les
    December 6, 2012, 11:07 am

When people complain about our media being under the thumb of Zionists, they tend to think broadcast media. Print media is not different, such as the refusal to run an ad for a new book by former Congressman Paul Findley in any of the company’s 11 history magazines.

December 06, 2012

The Empire Behind World’s Largest History Magazine Chain
    How American History Magazine Censored Palestine

by ALISON WEIR

link to counterpunch.org

• Denis
      December 6, 2012, 1:28 pm

Thanks, Les. Weir’s roasting of the Weiders and Schwarzenegger is one of the most significant anti-zionist/anti-apartheid pieces I’ve ever read. She is a remarkably gifted writer.

5. AlGhorear
    December 6, 2012, 12:55 pm

I’d be more inclined to donate again if I’d received the two books I was supposed to get the last time I sent my check :).

6. Memphis
    December 6, 2012, 5:28 pm

I want a t-shirt. How much do I need to donate to get a shirt?

• piotr
      December 6, 2012, 6:23 pm

Absolutely! Now that Mondoweiss has a publisher, perhaps it will also have a MondoStore with T-shirts, mugs, calendars and books?

• Adam Horowitz
        December 6, 2012, 8:51 pm

Yes, it’s in the works! Thanks.

• piotr
        December 7, 2012, 11:57 pm

I was thinking about the good items for MondoStore. I guess that since we are not rich elite here, 24 carat gold “Mondeweiss” pendants, rings or cufflinks, MondoCruise vacation packages, Mondoweiss sets of golf clubs are not a good idea.

Mysz is an excellent Israeli artist that has enough pictures that could make a calendar, and there can be other artist who could cooperate. One can make e-book editions of the art (and everything else in the bookstore).

By the way, I am afraid that I am one of the anonymous donors who expects a book and a T-shirt, but hopefully a friendly home can be found for those items.

• Adam Horowitz
      December 6, 2012, 8:53 pm

We don’t have many, so they are a relatively high ticket item (link to npo.networkforgood.org), but we do plan on starting to sell them soon.

• irishmoses
        December 8, 2012, 11:21 am

Adam,
        The donation page is confusing as you are told you are donating to the CENTER FOR ECONOMIC RESEARCH AND SOCIAL CHANGE INC. No mention of Mondoweiss is on the form. I suspect some potential donors will wonder who they are actually donating to and what that organization represents. You could lose donors because of this confusion and uncertainty.

• amigo
        December 13, 2012, 5:55 pm

Annie/Adam/Peterand Irishmoses,I came across the same problem.I am trying to donate from Ireland.I don,t need a book or T-shirt.I just want to support the site and the very valuable work it does.

Can I send a donation(cashiers check in Dollars”. to an address.

• Annie Robbins
        December 13, 2012, 7:13 pm

yes amigo, on our “ABOUT” page (link on top of every page to the right of “HOME” and the left of “COMMENT POLICY”) there is an address:

You can make an online tax deductible donation here, or if contributing by mail, make your check payable to “CERSC – Mondoweiss” and send to CERSC, PO Box 180165, Chicago, IL 60618.

thank you!

• alec
        December 13, 2012, 7:45 pm

I would suggest we set up simple Paypal donations for people outside the US who do not need an American tax deduction.

I have had trouble to donate directly myself via the form, on account of a difference of location between my addresses and my banking country.

• amigo
        December 13, 2012, 9:09 pm

Ok Annie,I will choose one method.

Thanks and happy fundraising.

7. Donna Nevel
    December 6, 2012, 9:19 pm

Yay to Mondoweiss!! I hope you will get lots and lots of contributions to continue your terrific work!! Donna Nevel

8. ritzl
    December 8, 2012, 1:32 am

Done. Keep up the good work! You’re important. Hah! Take that!! :)

9. gamal
    December 8, 2012, 8:49 am

well here’s a book you might consider sending your contributors also available as an ebook,

SLOUCHING TOWARDS SIRTE

NATO’s War on Libya and Africa

By Maximilian C. Forte

NATO’s war in Libya was proclaimed as a humanitarian intervention—bombing in the name of “saving lives.” Attempts at diplomacy were stifled. Peace talks were subverted. Libya was barred from representing itself at the UN, where shadowy NGOs and “human rights” groups held full sway in propagating exaggerations, outright falsehoods, and racial fear mongering that served to sanction atrocities and ethnic cleansing in the name of democracy. The rush to war was far speedier than Bush’s invasion of Iraq.

Max Forte has scrutinized the documentary history from before, during, and after the war. He argues that the war on Libya was not about human rights, nor entirely about oil, but about a larger process of militarizing U.S. relations with Africa. The development of the Pentagon’s Africa Command, or AFRICOM, was in fierce competition with Pan-Africanist initiatives such as those spearheaded by Muammar Gaddafi.

Far from the success NATO boasts about or the “high watermark” proclaimed by proponents of the “Responsibility to Protect,” this war has left the once prosperous, independent and defiant Libya in ruin, dependency and prolonged civil strife.

link to barakabooks.com

10. irishmoses
    December 8, 2012, 10:38 am

WHY DONATE TO MONDOWEISS?

I can think of no better organization to donate to than Mondoweiss. It’s influence on the Israel-Palestine issue has increased dramatically in the last few months with more and more mainstream blog and article comments referencing Phil and Mondoweiss. I suspect its influence will grow exponentially in the coming year as Israel-disaffected Jews and non-Jews look for a reliable source of news, commentary, ideas and discussion on this vital issue. The years of hard work and dedication of Phil, then Adam, and now Annie, Allison, Kate, and Alex (not to mention Scott, our new publisher, and all who volunteer with articles and comments) deserve our encouragement and support. Given a choice between donating to NPR and PBS with their feckless commentators on all issues involving Israel, or to Mondoweiss, the choice for me is clear. I cheerfully donate my $100 to this noble and worthy organization.

Pledge drives for public radio and television always stress the personal value of the free programing, and urge listeners and viewers to reciprocate by donating. The same rationale applies even more to Mondoweiss which provides all of us 24/7 detailed coverage of the I-P issue including up-to-date news, commentary, learned and spirited discussion of the topics and issues, and a forum for each of us to express our own views. Mondoweiss provides us intellectual stimulation and discussion of the highest order.

So donate both because of the benefits you personally receive and because your donation will help this vital organization to grow and gain even greater influence on an issue so critical to us all.

BUT WAIT, WAIT, THERE’S MORE

During this year’s Mondoweiss pledge drive, I will donate a copy of my new e-book novel Armageddon: Prelude to Disaster to anyone who contributes. For those who contribute $60 or more, I will also donate its upcoming sequel, Armageddon and Redemption. Prelude has just been published and is now available on Amazon in Kindle, as well as in iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC, and Android tablet and smartphone configurations. Contact me through my blog at http://www.irishmoses.com or through Mondoweiss if or when you have donated to request your copies.

My Armageddon in the Gulf novels are about the history of the Israel-Palestine conflict told in the context of a failed attack by Israel on Iran and the chaotic and disastrous results which US president Hailey Corrigan is forced to deal with.

Gil Maguire

11. MRW
    December 9, 2012, 6:44 pm

Phil, Adam, and Scott,

A far more valuable (to us) and lucrative fundraising product would be to sell DVDs on an ongoing basis of this site since you started the archives. And earlier if you have it.

The cost of a data DVD master is de minimus. It’s simply a matter of creating one yourselves. Replicating them through a DVD service is inexpensive, and can be done on an on-demand basis. Logistics is your only issue. The DVD service supplies the seller on an as-needed basis.

Sell through Amazon for $60, or whatever. Amazon is the one that notifies your DVD copier to send more to meet sales. Keep the profits.

You have no idea if some big electron in the sky is going to fry databases during some catastrophic event in the future and everything in the world’s databases are going to be damaged. Yeah, sure, we all know that DVDs are going to become obsolete with digital services, but the smart ones are still backing up to those specialty Japanese DVDs (that last 100 years apparently) and putting them away.

Further, there is historical import to your archives and a DVD is searchable beyond a profile. So why not take financial advantage of that?

Another advantage to this is a yearly update, and the sales could be ongoing. “Get a complete copy of our archives here for $60″ at the top of the homepage.

This is a useful endeavor and gives MW info longevity. They can be donated to libraries and schools.

I think if you check into it, you will see that once you set this up, it will take care of itself. Every commenter would want a copy, at least once, and the regulars would definitely renew annually.

Why more sites don’t do this is beyond me. Laptops die. Hard drives give out. Web links disappear. I’ve been buying Cryptome’s DVDs since John Young put them out, although he only sells them for $25, and not as part of a fundraising program. I buy a new set regularly.

EDIT: I looked into this a couple of years ago around here, and I think it was something like $3.00 for 100 copies of one DVD.

• alec
      December 9, 2012, 9:28 pm

Hi MRW,

Current web technology makes it very easy for you to archive a site yourself with any of a number of spidering tools. No need for DVD’s.

On the other hand, Mondoweiss could have a series of DVD’s of Palestinian, Israeli and US DVD’s related to the political and social situation which they sell directly off this website.

Running that would be a whole secondary project though and quite distracting. I do think some kind of DVD/bookstore would make sense though. Some materials are hard to get ahold of. Fortunately more and more filmmakers are putting their work directly on the internet.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• MRW
        December 10, 2012, 4:46 pm

Alec,

Thanks. I’ve been archiving whole sites since Acrobat introduced it in PDF form since the mid-90s.
        (1) lost some of those drives
        (2) didn’t lose John Young’s CD/DVDs ;-)
        (3) digital redundancy (film makers) is a full time job, but they’re still parking the originals underground at UVS in Kansas in air-conditioned storage with digital copies.

Also, it’s a lot of work to sit and figure out for most people, and time is money. Your own archives are organized in such a way that you have to babysit the page range to advance to the next.

Respectfully, someone around the joint should be thinking of the next 100 years–reason why I agreed with Mooser about Annie’s shorthand–and the value of a digital stand-alone encyclopedia for research and historical purposes that can go through a Swahili or Swedish translator in minutes, not days. Or am I the only one who sees historical value to the stories and comments here?

Alec, I’ve been in the digital business since Alex Horowitz was seven years old, Bell Labs, etc. ;-) The military was using holographic storage in 1977, and although that sounds wonderful, the source has to be in the shape to comply, if you get my drift. MW’s isn’t as presented to us. BTW, I hope you’re saving your important docs for posterity and your family in rtf or txt or PDF/a. And MP3, MP4, HTML5. Jes’ sayin’. ;-)

• alec
        December 13, 2012, 7:58 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I would still make the argument that anybody who wants to do anything with the text here would have the technical skills to run it directly through the translation service. Creating a proper working DVD of the website would present some technical challenges. We do keep off site archives.

On the other hand, if I see 20 requests for a paid archival DVD of Mondoweiss.net at even $25 + postage, I’ll make sure it happens. If there’s higher demand, we could lower that price.

• MRW
        December 10, 2012, 4:56 pm

Your site with comments doesn’t present copyright issues. Selling your own product versus someone else’s. Furthermore, sending a download dump of your source to a DVD manufacturer /copier is a no-brainer. What’s complicated is setting up an Amazon account. ;-)

• MRW
        December 10, 2012, 5:00 pm

Another idea is link to webcitation.org.

12. Formerly T-Bear
    December 13, 2012, 6:49 am

Some difficulties donating. After entering the pertinent card information et al, WAS informed the donation was rejected by the bank since some information did not match. I tried deleting the information from the forms but it seems to be restored as if stored on some cookie already. I am totally uncomfortable with this situation and will refrain from any future attempts to donate in this fashion.

I find I rarely visit the site anymore, the reports have become too difficult to read, the heart can take only so much injustice before it rebels at the hurt being done. Please consider some leavening here, reports and presentations of artists, poets, writers telling of their triumphs, their loves and joys, and the butterflies they’ve seen.

I will look into snail-mail about a donation later, your site is too important not to.

• alec
      December 13, 2012, 7:52 pm

Don’t lose heart T-Bear. That is the goal of the Israelis: to drive us and the Palestinians into the ground. And when that is done, a sudden push into the sea or fenced off prison work-camps (not too far from today’s status quo, but far more severe).

Every conversation I’ve ever had with an Israeli or Zionist includes he or she comparing the Palestinians to animals, then to dangerous animals and then suggesting that such animals need to be caged or put down.

It is up to the world in general and us in specific to keep up our hearts and prevent that from happening.

Thank you for your support!

PS. The rejection driven automated donation system really is not very good. I thought it was just me having trouble from outside the US. If you can’t even use it from within the US, there really should be a better system put into place. Paypal will not be tax-deductible but at least it’s quick and easy.

• seafoid
      December 28, 2012, 8:32 am

FTB

The hardest part is just before the dawn

Zionism is the unsinkable ship and justice is the iceberg.
      Take heart from what people like David Gardner of the Financial Times say.

link to ft.com

Every rampart to enclose east Jerusalem and encircle Bethlehem, and every wall and segregated bypass road to divide the West Bank, will shortly be in place, herding the Palestinians into Bantustans with, perhaps, the eventual possibility of some sort of supra-municipal and superintended government.

That can lead only to an apartheid-style struggle by a (probably reunified) Palestinian movement, demanding equal rights in a binational state, blackening the name of Israel internationally and calling into question the legitimate right of Jews to a state in the eternally disputed Holy Land.

December 28, 2012, 10:43 am

“That can lead only to an apartheid-style struggle by a (probably reunified) Palestinian movement, demanding equal rights in a binational state,” Gosh, seafoid, would you trust those people (Zionists) to give you “equal rights in a binational state”? blackening the name of Israel internationally and “calling into question the legitimate right of Jews to a state” in the eternally disputed Holy Land.

Oh my God, is this the end of Mooser? Seafoid, who I was hoping was only a not-a-Zionist, turns out to be a Zionist. Who’s a thunk it?

Seafoid, please, explain to us this “legitimate right of Jews to a state” in the “eternally disputed Middle East”. Haven’t you read a single word that ‘hostage’ ‘talknic’ and many others have written? Or is it too complicated for me?

December 28, 2012, 10:45 am

“blackening the name of Israel internationally”

Yes, the name of Israel, which at present, is so pristine.

I heaerby nominate Seafoid for the Presidency of the not-a-Zionist club.

December 28, 2012, 11:32 am

I withdraw nomination, render an apology and nominate myself for the “too dumb to know when somebody is quoting” club. The link should have shown me, even without quote marks or blocking.
        Hmmm, there’s one club I could possibly lead…

13. Formerly T-Bear
    December 17, 2012, 1:02 pm

Belated notice that donation is in post Saturday, it should take about 7 days to receive. Thanks again for providing the site, the perspective and the excellence.