Visit Hillary Clinton’s settlement

In her speech to the Saban Center last week, Hillary Clinton bragged about visiting an Israeli settlement, Gilo. Well you can see Gilo in the video below, at :22-1:20. It’s the colony of white houses in the background, with red roofs.

The video was shot last month in the neighboring Palestinian village of Walaje, whose lands are occupied by Gilo and greater Jerusalem.

The man in the video is Abu Nidal, 65, a Palestinian farmer and landowner. Israel is building its wall across his lands, far away from the Green Line. And Abu Nidal must go through a special tunnel under the wall in order to visit the graves of his father, mother and grandmother.

You can see the foundation of the wall in the first minute. Then we go thru the tunnel, and Abu Nidal is overcome by the enormity of the situation at 3:00 or so, and at 4:00 he says:

“What do you think I feel? Do you think there is a greater kind of oppression? The feeling is that the whole world is hypocritical and justice is lost. As if we are in a jungle, and it’s the survival of the fittest. The rabbit is eaten by the lion.”

Here is what Hillary Clinton said about Gilo and the special relationship with Israel:

1. seafoid
    December 4, 2012, 1:35 pm

“I’ve held hands with the victims of terrorism in their hospital rooms, visited a bombed-out pizzeria in Jerusalem, walked along the fence near Gilo. And I know with all my heart how important it is that our relationship go from strength to strength.”

She’s no different to Romney with his “providence has been kind to Israel”
    or Lieberman wondering how anyone living on less than 10K per annum could have time for Rousseau.

I met a farmer once whose olive field put 4 kids through university and the Bots razed it.

Zionism isn’t Jewish destiny. It’s nihilism.

• aiman
      December 5, 2012, 12:13 am

“Zionism isn’t Jewish destiny. It’s nihilism.”

That’s the problem: the belief that anyone can create his destiny. Zionism is a child of that idea. It has not worked in any religion. The pioneering Islamists thought very similiary and wished to cement the destiny of Muslims to a state that punished with heaven and hell. And look, where that got them. Now they merely loiter behind Europe, acceping the technology and having made no moral committment recycle the sayings of false prophets of 20th century states and apply concepts of “revolution” to a theology as taught by Abraham, Jesus, Moses and Muhammad which is tied to evolution, from the 10 Commandments to allegorical explanations of life. Exactly similar to elements of fascism in Hinduism and Buddhism co-opted by “revolution” (just saying since some uninformed posters here love to bash “monotheism”).

December 5, 2012, 5:39 pm

“(just saying since some uninformed posters here love to bash “monotheism”).”

I know, these days it’s all stereotheism, and you can’t get anything else.

• Woody Tanaka
        December 5, 2012, 6:07 pm

“(just saying since some uninformed posters here love to bash “monotheism”).”

You’re right. We should be bashing all theisms, not just monotheisms. (although, especially monotheism.)

• aiman
        December 5, 2012, 11:41 pm

I privately find atheism to be infantile, irrational, sentimentally craven and stupid. I grew up in a household hearing how “irrational” religion was so these arguments are tired and old. But I don’t go declaring my views on atheism. It’s useless in the I/P context. Zionism is the enemy, not Judaism. The prophet of Zionism is Herzl, not Moses. Any reference to monotheism is senseless since what we are in effect facing is the melding of religious tribalism with ethnic nationalism, a phenomenon which is common in Buddhism and Hinduism, too. It has nothing to do with monotheism, even a tribe-centred one since tribalism has also infected universal forms of monotheism. The problem, as Chris Hedges said, is the human heart and, I would add, the destructive ideology of revolution. No matter what the coarse-bearded Zionist settlers may believe, their actions are not annointed by a text but by the heresy of arrogance and hypermasculine chaos which the great teachers, philosophers and prophets wished to uplift man from.

• Woody Tanaka
        December 6, 2012, 2:06 pm

“I privately find atheism to be infantile, irrational, sentimentally craven and stupid. ”

So what? You hold to some nonsensical ideas. Big deal.

“Zionism is the enemy, not Judaism.”

True, but there is a religious element to Zionism that stems directly from Judaism, and those elements are among the most damaging and oppressive aspects to this issue. Judaism is the root stock and fertilizer of zionism. The problem of Zionism will not be solved without addressing these religious elements.

“Any reference to monotheism is senseless… It has nothing to do with monotheism”

Baloney. While monotheism, as with all theism, should be opposed on it’s own merits (as monotheism is easily one of the ten worst ideas that humanity’s every come up with), it’s foolish to believe that the exclusivist claims of monotheism play no part in this conflict.

“I would add, the destructive ideology of revolution.”

Ridiculous. Revolution, where appropriate, is among the most creative and life-affirming things a people can do. What kind of a reactionary are you, anyway?

“their actions are not annointed by a text ”

Says who? Once you exclude rationality — and if you are even inviting Abramahamic religious belief into the tent you are, by necessity, excluding rationality — then on what basis are you to say that his reading of your book supersedes his? God isn’t showing up to break that impasse, so who are you to tell him that YHWH doesn’t love arrogance and hypermasculine chaos?? I mean, have you even ever read the Tanach/Old Testament??? It’s chock full of arrogance and hypermasculine chaos portrayed as an absolute good.

If we don’t base our argument on modern, secular, humanist philosophy, we’re giving away the game.

• aiman
        December 6, 2012, 9:53 pm

Let’s see, you’ve categorically failed to address anything I said. You may wish to start reading the later essays of Tolstoy and the works of Abduh and Elmer Berger. Then you may wish to start reading the works of the pioneers of Zionism, Islamism and Hindutva. Then you may wish to compare the former with the latter. Instead of drawing upon your private beliefs and splashing it in arguments, you may wish to think “rationally” and “empirically”. But I might spare you the effort with a conclusion: all fundamentalist movements draw on “revolution”, while the works of all religious sages demonstrate the incremental struggle for understanding and change. I have no interest in Marxist eschatology, but one thing is clear: “revolution” does not belong in theology. You may wish to keep it confined to Europe and America, that’s your problem. That it is often confused with “uprising” is another matter. Neither Occupy Wall Street nor Tahrir are revolutions. The revolutionaries are the Salafists brandishing weapons, the Zionists settlers and those on killing rampages. The excuse that the Old Testament contains “arrogance” is not an honest statement. The Old Testament is indeed morally inconsistent but the settler is immorally consistent. God either says “thou shalt not kill” or the opposite, not both. Instead efforts must be made to link sociological behaviours to contemporary and recent thinkers of a movement who give shape to mass consciousness but those who think do not fall for any hypnosis.

• aiman
        December 6, 2012, 10:08 pm

A good succinct article on the topic is John Gray’s How Marx turned Muslim. I have found in books going all the way back to 1950 humanist theologians warning about “revolution”. The saying of one such man, whose translation of the Qur’an is banned in Saudi Arabia and was burned by thugs in Morocco, was “Only evolution, no revolution”. Seizing upon the fever in Europe, fundamentalist pioneers made great use of revolution, anointing themselves and their causes as “chosen by God”. It might work within a secular ontology, of which I would be skeptical just the same, but it has given the world the evils of Zionism and Islamism.

• eljay
        December 5, 2012, 6:16 pm

>> … a theology as taught by Abraham, Jesus, Moses and Muhammad which is tied to evolution, from the 10 Commandments to allegorical explanations of life.

That’s funny. :-)

2. seethelight
    December 4, 2012, 1:42 pm

With comments like this it can’t be too long before Hillary makes a speech in Las Vegas and …. “oh, Mr. Adelson, what a surprise. How nice to see you. Of course we can have lunch …. just the two of us.”

• Wonder Bunder
      December 4, 2012, 10:57 pm

That wouldn’t come as a surprise at all. The Democrats are just as subservient to the Lobby as the neocons…always have been.

3. Annie Robbins
    December 4, 2012, 2:13 pm

as he was speaking those words you blockquoted my heart sank. completely succinct, completely. oh god when will this be over. also when he answers your question about security:

they’re liars.. security comes from peace, it doesn’t come from building walls

4. Kathleen
    December 4, 2012, 2:49 pm

Just read Clinton’s whole speech at the Saban event. As has always been the case she is a pure neo con suck up. Hillary Clinton is a neocon. From her vote for the Iraq war resolution, to her willingness to ignore Israel’s illegal activities and how they constantly interfere with an agreement, to her persistent unsubstantiated claims about Iran there is not a doubt in my mine she would bomb Iran if she had the chance. In my book she is right with Bush 43’s administration on foreign policy issues. Far worse than her husband would ever be. She is a chicken shit war hawk. If Hillary was a man saying what she says about the middle east the liberals would go ape shit. But because she is a woman who supports war and many women are so desperate to see a woman get in there they may choose to forget her warmongering but many of us will not. The only way Clinton can win is via money and being a woman. If she does run millions of us will rub her face in her bloody war vote, her support for Israel no matter how what they do threatens US national security and her desire to attack Iran.

She could have simply said after she banged on the go get Iran war drums, bad bad Syria, and blamed everyone in the neighborhood for the problems that Israel has created. After kissing everyone in the rooms ass over and over again she could have simply said and Israel’s settlement building sure does not help the situation. So polite, so true. Does she think she would have been crucified for telling the truth?

She did not mention settlements AT ALL

• Wonder Bunder
      December 4, 2012, 10:59 pm

Keep in mind that Obama’s foreign policy isn’t much different from Bush’s. So it’s no surprise that his Secretary of State sounds so much like Dubya’s did.

• Kathleen
        December 5, 2012, 10:43 am

Hillary Clinton is far more aggressive than her husband and Obama in regard to foreign policy. On the I/P issue Clinton is more aggressive than Obama I believe and on Iran. Clinton is either so sold out to the I lobby or really feels like attacking Iran herself but there is not a doubt in my mind if she had the chance she would. She is a pit bull when it comes to the middle east. Worse than Jeb Bush would be.

5. Shmuel
    December 4, 2012, 2:51 pm

go from strength to strength

Psalms 84. Hallelujah! Hear that, Fundies (and you know the rest of that verse, don’t you)?

6. Citizen
    December 4, 2012, 2:57 pm

Hillary comes across as totally ambitious at all costs, for herself. She’s running for POTUS again, using the standard AIPAC playbook. At least her husband had the charming guile to disguise the same thing. Must be his Irish genes; she’s a WASP and so, totally obvious.

7. Mndwss
    December 4, 2012, 3:05 pm

I tried not to cry when i watched this video……

I do not understand how people can live like this and still be so human.

Restiamo Umani old man! I hope you will soon be free from the night mare called Israel.

I guess Hillary took the Jewish road to Gilo and only met happy occupiers…

Not a Palestinian road like George Bush did to Bethlehem.

“‘This is awful,’ Bush said, coming into Bethlehem”

link to mondoweiss.net

8. Les
    December 4, 2012, 3:24 pm

Perhaps Clinton thought, mistakenly, that it was a Methodist settlement.

• Citizen
      December 7, 2012, 9:33 am

Wonder if Hillary’s much aware of the BDS movement within the Methodist Church? And how aware is she of her in-law who is a professor known as rigorously anti-Zionist? OTOH, I’m sure she knows all about Chelsea’s former prison inmate father in law and how he bilked those who trusted him. And I wonder if Bill ever explained how he was taken for a ride by the Zionists on his own staff when he apparently thought he was trying to negotiate an I-P peace as an actual honest broker?

link to forward.com

9. American
    December 4, 2012, 3:41 pm

Don’t worry the US will get Israel. Just look at how tough we are being on Netanyahu’s new E1 settlements plans. Yea, man these tough words are really going to scare Israel. rotflmao

U.S. intensifies criticism of Israel on settlement plan
    Mon, 3 Dec 2012 23:43 GMT
    Source: reuters // Reuters
    link to trust.org

“The Obama administration’s tougher-than-usual words for close ally Israel came after five European governments summoned Israeli ambassadors in their capitals to express concern over the new settlement projects. But Washington stopped short of threatening any concrete measures against the Jewish state.

“We urge Israeli leaders to reconsider these unilateral decisions and exercise restraint, as these actions are counterproductive and make it harder to resume direct negotiations to achieve a two-state solution,” he said.

10. DICKERSON3870
    December 4, 2012, 4:03 pm

If Hillary Clinton ever becomes president, I sincerely hope that she does so “over my dead [cremated] body”! ! !

11. American
    December 4, 2012, 4:06 pm

Something else.

Brzezinski Lists Washington’s Iran Options if Talks Fail
    December 4th, 2012
    link to lobelog.com

The only thing Brzezinski left out as an option on Iran is the simplest, least expensive and easiest.
    A US agreement that extends to Iran the same ‘protections’ we guarantee to Saudi and all our other US umbrella protected states.
    I have long argued this is the only solution for the US in the ME….if one ME state launches a full scale war/attack on another ME state we launch one on them…no exceptions.
    If we are going to play ME ruler we have to makes our rules equal to all.

12. Kate
    December 4, 2012, 6:02 pm

The situation of the Palestinians in the occupied West Bank often reminds me of the Little People in the Mary Norton novel “The Borrowers.” It features a family of tiny people who live secretly in the walls and floors of an English house and “borrow” from the big people in order to survive.
    Except that it’s the Israelis who hide the Palestinians from view, from their settler vipers’ nests on the hilltops and their Israelis-only highways with no access to the hidden Palestinian villages — while the Palestinians must use other roads which often run under the highways and are sometimes little more than tracks over very rough terrain. And of course it’s the Israelis who steal from the Palestinians, not the other way around.

13. eljay
    December 4, 2012, 6:34 pm

Mr. Nidal sure didn’t seem to hate Jews more than he loves his own children. And, yet, it seems that he terrifies the oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and supremacist “Jewish State”.

Israel is a sad and immoral place. :-(

14. AM
    December 5, 2012, 1:01 am

How sad….as he walked through the tunnel, she exclaimed, “Oh wow, they really improved it!” and they talked about the lighting for a brief moment. I suppose that is what you get excited about when the oppressor chooses to make oppression a little bit more palatable?

15. Accentitude
    December 5, 2012, 4:12 am

Wow, Hillary and I actually have something in common! We’ve both been to an Israeli settlement! Well actually, I’ve been to Palestinian farmlands confiscated by an Israeli settlement in Bethlehem (which has lost 78% of it’s land and is damn near surrounded by settlements as this point)…and…..well, the settlers and IDF sure didn’t roll out the red carpet for me. In fact, I was given a special honorary zip tie placed firmly around my wrists and kicked in the ribs for 20 minutes. My buddies in Dheisha weren’t so lucky. A couple of them were taken away. Fun times had by all!

16. eljay
    December 5, 2012, 8:48 am

>> Well actually, I’ve been to Palestinian farmlands confiscated by an Israeli settlement in Bethlehem (which has lost 78% of it’s land and is damn near surrounded by settlements as this point)…and…..well, the settlers and IDF sure didn’t roll out the red carpet for me. In fact, I was given a special honorary zip tie placed firmly around my wrists and kicked in the ribs for 20 minutes.

That’s probably because you failed to examine your “initial attitude” toward the supremacist state that continues to steal Palestinian land and destroy Palestinian lives and livelihoods, and chose instead to engage in “moral snobbery”.

It’s no wonder Zio-supremacists are so afraid of being “wiped off the map”! :-( ;-)

17. Obsidian
    December 5, 2012, 10:25 am

This article is just more of the same Mondoweiss agitprop.

• eljay
      December 5, 2012, 11:33 am

>> How many of us frequently visit our parent’s graves? Even is this gentleman does visit more than the rest of us, he is only inconvenienced by a tunnel.

Occupation, oppression, land theft and colonization: Injustice and immorality excused and absolved by the existence of a tunnel.

The Zio-supremacist mind is a truly disturbing place.

18. seafoid
    December 5, 2012, 12:33 pm

“I’ve held hands with the victims of terrorism in their hospital rooms, visited a bombed-out pizzeria in Jerusalem, walked along the fence near Gilo. ”

I knew I heard that song before somewhere…

I stuck around St. Petersburg
    When I saw it was a time for a change
    Killed the Czar and his ministers
    Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
    Held a general’s rank
    When the Blitzkrieg raged
    And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
    Ah, what’s puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game, ah yeah

I watched with glee
    While your kings and queens
    Fought for ten decades
    For the god they made

I shouted out,
    “Who killed the Kennedy’s?”
    When after all
    It was you and me

19. giladg
    December 5, 2012, 1:58 pm

Go to the Mount of Olives in what you call East Jerusalem. The Mount of Olives is right there on the eastern side of the Temple Mount. There is a large Jewish cemetery, right there. So Philip, I ask you. What are you going to say to the Palestinians who want control of this area? What are you going to say to the Palestinians who have never controlled this area, in all of history, and who are insisting that this become part of a future Palestine? What are you going to say to them Philip? As a Jew Philip, I say to you that you better have something to say about this and if it is not pro-Israel, then I think you should think long and hard at why you what makes you Jewish. Some say you are running a little thin.

• eljay
      December 5, 2012, 2:14 pm

>> giladgeee @ December 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

So that’s what’s underpins a Zio-supremacist’s Judaism: Control of a piece of land. Wow.

But, y’know, you really don’t need to control the land – all you need is a nice tunnel to it. Surely what’s good enough for the people you oppress, and whose land you’ve stolen and colonized, is good enough for you…

• Shmuel
      December 5, 2012, 4:12 pm

giladg,

I am overwhelmed by your compassion for Abu Nidal, but fail to see the relevance of hypothetical future sovereignty over the Mount of Olives. Should there ever be fair and honest peace talks, I’m sure the question of access to the Jewish cemetery will be addressed (of particular interest to my family, because my nephew is buried there).

Meanwhile, Abu Nidal’s land has actually been stolen, his trees killed and his access to the remaining trees and the graves of his parents and grandmother jeopardised (with gate and electronic fence to follow wall, road and tunnel). Are you suggesting he had it coming because Phil isn’t Jewish enough?

• giladg
        December 6, 2012, 12:24 pm

There are “Abu Nidal’s” on the other side (Israel) as well. Some of them, unfortunately, will not find solutions to their own stories, no matter how real and sad they may be. Everything is intertwined. There no way to unravel it all and keep everyone happy.

• Shmuel
        December 6, 2012, 2:18 pm

There are “Abu Nidal’s” on the other side (Israel) as well…. There no way to unravel it all and keep everyone happy.

This comment is even more glib than your last one. Do you have anything at all to say about this injustice?

• RoHa
        December 6, 2012, 6:57 pm

“Everything is intertwined. There no way to unravel it all and keep everyone happy.”

So you think a one-state solution, with equal rights for everyone, is the way to go, then?

• RoHa
      December 5, 2012, 10:01 pm

“There is a large Jewish cemetery, right there. So Philip, I ask you. What are you going to say to the Palestinians who want control of this area? What are you going to say to the Palestinians who have never controlled this area, in all of history, and who are insisting that this become part of a future Palestine? ”

How old is this cemetery? If it dates back to Ottoman times, surely it would have been under the control of Jewish Palestinians.