Is boycott finally reaching the American mainstream? Well it’s on MSNBC, and in a favorable light.
An ad for SodaStream, the Israeli company that produces seltzer makers, is scheduled to air at the Superbowl on February 3. The ad, which was abruptly banned in the UK a few days ago for “denigration of the bottled drinks market,” is causing controversy because Sodastream does its work in an illegal Israeli settlement(pdf) through the exploitation of Palestinian land, resources, and labor. Inevitably this issue will go mainstream, but it certainly got a jump start on MSNBC over the weekend as Nation editor David Zirin, a pundit on Up with Chris Hayes explains (at 5:50):
Zirin:Every year there is a controversial Superbowl ad. You should know that this year it will be for a company called SodaStream, that they carbonate beverages they turn water into club soda. SodaStream is also an Israeli company. It’s an Israeli company that exists, the factory exists in the occupied, it’s on an illegal settlement in the West Bank. And this is already leading to a lot of protest that this commercial is going to be played in the Superbowl since it’s on an illegal settlement. There’s a protest today in Washington DC being held by Jewish Voices for Peace against SodaStream and a counter protest by people supporting Soda Stream and the idea of having these companies on illegal settlements in the West Bank and this will show up on the largest possible social stage in the United States, the Superbowl
Hayes: Fantastic! I did not know that, something to look out for.
If you want to play a part in the SodaStream ad controversy, you should enter the SodaStream Super Bowl Spoof Ads Contest:
We do not have millions of dollars, but we have you!
Create Your Own of the Super Bowl SodaStream Ad Spoof!
A coalition of groups including the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation is calling on activists to create SodaStream spoof ads in time for the Super Bowl.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Upload your video to YouTube. You can find instructions to do that here.
- After your video is uploaded, send its YouTube link to email@example.com. Please include your name, city, state, zip code and organization if applicable.
- Once your video has been accepted, you will receive an email confirmation within 48 hours letting you know it has been added to the “2013 SodaStream Super Bowl Ad Spoof” playlist.
- Encourage people to watch and like your video! Use #BoycottSodaStream on Twitter.
- The video that has the most likes by 12pm EST on Sunday, February 3 will be announced as the winner before the Super Bowl! There is no deadline to submit videos, but the sooner you do, the more time you will have to get people to like it!
(Hat Tip Mondoweiss commenter German Lefty)