Blocked from central commercial street in Hebron for 13 years– Palestinians protest peacefully

on 9 Comments


Shuhada Street demonstration`
Shuhada Street demonstration

A press release from Badia Dwaik of Youth Against Settlements in Hebron:

On the 19th Commemoration of the Ibrahimi Mosque Massacre, hundreds demonstrate to Open Shuhada Street in Hebron

Hundreds demonstrated today, Friday, in Hebron as part of the 4th Annual Open Shuhada Street Protest.  Israeli forces quickly attacked demonstrators using tear gas, skunk water, stunt grenades, and some live ammunition bullets.  One person was injured in the leg by a live bullet while 12, including one journalist, were injured by rubber coated steel bullets.  Many were cleared to the hospital due to gas inhalation.   

Demonstrators marched towards Shuhada Street while some tried to scale the barbed wire which blocks Palestinians from accessing what used to be the main commercial district of the city.  Marchers chanted for the opening of Shuhada Street, as well as in solidarity with prisoners, all the while calling, “Peaceful, Peaceful, Freedom to Palestine.”

Later in the afternoon, Palestinian Authority police and special forces violently pushed demonstrators away from the Old City and restricted them from demonstrating.  


Palestinian residents of Hebron have suffered for decades from Israeli government evictions, curfews, market and street closures, military checkpoints, subjection to military law including frequent random searches and detention without charge, and lack of protection from rampant settler violence.  This pressure and violence has caused approximately 15,000 Palestinian civilians to flee their homes in the Hebron city center, turning it into a virtual ghost town.

The Israeli military closed Shuhada Street, the principal commercial district of the city, to Palestinian vehicles in 1994, after the Ibrahimi Mosque massacre.  In 2000, it began a policy of preventing Palestinian residents (200,000) to walk on the street claiming that it was for the security of about 400-800 Israeli settlers occupying the center of Hebron.

More than 500 stores were closed by military order in the center of Hebron, and more than a thousand store owners were forced to close their shops due to checkpoints and closures. At the same time, illegal settlers enjoy freedom of movement in the closed streets and are protected by military forces.

About Philip Weiss

Philip Weiss is Founder and Co-Editor of

Other posts by .

Posted In:

9 Responses

  1. foresomenteneikona
    February 23, 2013, 9:23 pm

    According to +972, the protests were not completely peaceful.

    “For much of the afternoon, Israeli forces traded tear gas and sound bombs with stone-throwing Palestinian youth in running street clashes.”

    • Badia
      March 10, 2013, 7:03 am

      The throwing stones happened unfortunately after the Israeli soldiers used so much violence so some react throwing stones which this not our policy ,we are working hard to have 100% of nonviolence resistance but there were more three thousands demonstrator in this action which make more hard to control every thing !
      we try our best always keep our actions nonviolence which the way we can win !


      • Annie Robbins
        March 10, 2013, 7:15 am

        you’re doing an incredible job badia, hang in there. sumud.

      • foresomenteneikona
        March 10, 2013, 10:50 am

        Thanks for clarifying, Badia! Keep up all the great work!

  2. DICKERSON3870
    February 23, 2013, 11:42 pm

    RE: “Later in the afternoon, Palestinian Authority police and special forces violently pushed demonstrators away from the Old City and restricted them from demonstrating.”

    MY COMMENT: Most of the Palestinian Authority’s storm troopers were trained by the U.S.* and they are often accused of doing Israel’s bidding**! ! !

    * SEE: “United States security assistance to the Palestinian National Authority” @ Wikipedia

    ** FROM WIKIPEDIA [“United States security assistance to the Palestinian National Authority”]

    . . . When the Israeli Air Force began their bombing campaign of Gaza in late December 2008, the NSF [Palestinian National Security Forces – J.L.D.] 3rd Special Battalion was disbursed throughout the West Bank to assist other PA security forces in maintaining order and preventing demonstrations from becoming uncontrollable. The USSC [United States Security Coordinator – J.L.D.], Israel, and the PA regarded the results of this deployment to be successful because West Bank violence did not escalate during the month-long Israeli offensive.[64] Lt. Gen. Dayton [of the USSC – J.L.D.] suggested in his 2009 policy speech that the PA response during Operation Cast Lead prevented a third intifada by using “a measured and disciplined approach to the popular unrest” and by keeping demonstrators away from Israelis. In his words “the prospect of order trumped the prospect of chaos.”[57] Journalist Nathan Thrall characterized the same event as the most damaging to the Palestinian security forces’ reputation, as the harsh reaction to protests and to Hamas sympathizers made the PASF seem like collaborators with the Israeli operation. . .

    SOURCE –

  3. jimmy
    February 24, 2013, 12:47 am

    this is more of the us congress and zionists handy work

    Battle for Syria’s Aleppo airport intensifies

    heart breaking picture

  4. Kathleen
    February 24, 2013, 9:19 am

    How can anyone argue that Israel is not an apartheid government? Hebron is in the West Bank this land is internationally recognized as Palestinian land.

    Contact your reps next week every week. Stop aid to the apartheid state of Israel

  5. Kathleen
    February 24, 2013, 9:40 am

    Dear friend Art Gish (now deceased) spent many a winter in Hebron living with Palestinians and witnessing the horrific crimes being committed by Israel and the illegal Israeli settlers on Palestinian lands against the people, Article of Art’s back in 2003 about what he was witnessing Hebron then. Art standing for peace in the I/P conflict and standing up to Israel.


    by Art Gish, Hebron, West Bank
    January 30, 2003

    All of Hebron was under total curfew today. I could sense something was wrong. As I walked up the street I soon realized there was trouble at Al Manara. I was horrified at what I saw. There were two tanks and two bulldozers leveling the produce market which extended over two blocks. Produce lay scattered and smashed everywhere, here in this city where many are hungry. Shop owners were scrambling to save boxes of tomatoes, oranges, bananas, and more.

    My first response was to just stand there, weeping and sobbing. The scene was so horrifying, so disgusting, so depraved. I could not emotionally bear it. I felt completely helpless.
    Soldiers near Lutheran christmas church
    Dec 4, 02

    The produce market was at Al Manara because the Israeli military closed the former produce market in response to the massacre of Muslims in the Ibrihimi Mosque in 1994. In every peace accord since then, Israel has promised to reopen the market. It has never been reopened. Israeli settlers now live in that building.

    I continued to feel helpless, but I also felt I had to do something. I started carrying boxes of produce out of the way of the bulldozers. I saved maybe 12 crates of produce from being crushed.

    I began confronting soldiers. In a loud voice, I asked them if they were proud of what they were doing, if this is peace, if this is what they want Israel to become. I shouted, “Baruch hashem Adonai” (Blessed be the name of the Lord)”
    The soldiers tried their best to ignore me, but I am sure they heard me. I ignored their commands for me to leave. One soldier spit at me, so I walked right up to him and invited him to spit on me. He declined the offer.

    Three soldiers aimed their guns at and moved toward a group of Palestinian bystanders. It looked to me like they were going to shoot. I quickly jumped in front of the soldiers, raised my hands in the air and shouted, “Shoot me, shoot me, go ahead and shoot me.” The soldiers immediately left.

    A tank came roaring toward me, its big gun barrel aimed at me. I raised my hands in the air in prayer, and shouted, “Shoot, shoot, Baruch hashem adonai.” The tank stopped within inches of me.

    I then knelt in the street in prayer, with my hands raised. I felt alone, weak, helpless. I could only cry out to God.

    Later this afternoon I went back to Al Manara and watched shop owners dig through the huge piles of rubble, trying to salvage what they could. What could I say?

    The Israeli military had put all of Hebron under total curfew today, saying they were looking for terrorists. Now I wonder if there really were terrorists hidden among the apples and oranges. Or, are the Israeli soldiers committing acts of terrorism against the civilian population of Hebron?

    I fear for what may come next.

  6. Kathleen
    February 24, 2013, 10:04 am

    Over at Huff Po
    Best DocumentaryFacebookTwitter
    Searching For Sugar Man 97.7%
    The Gatekeepers 1.7%
    How to Survive a Plague 0.2%
    5 Broken Cameras 0.2%
    The Invisible War 0.2%

Leave a Reply