Video: ‘TMZ’ interviews Emad Burnat on LAX detention

Israel/PalestineUS Politics

TMZ covers what it calls, “the story of the day” and interviews 5 Broken Cameras director Emad Burnat on being detained at Los Angeles International Airport on his way to the Academny Awards this Sunday.

I never thought I’d see a TMZ host get indignant over Palestinian rights – “because they didn’t think a Palestinian could possibly be up for an Academy Award?!”

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. Woody Tanaka
    February 21, 2013, 11:50 am

… and no apology.

Yeah, america.

• W.Jones
      February 21, 2013, 5:23 pm

I don’t think the word “Israeli” was used once.

• kalithea
        February 22, 2013, 4:35 pm

And no surprise there, coming from Levin.

2. David Samel
    February 21, 2013, 12:10 pm

That was indeed a great report, although I noticed that one host mentioned that Burnat had had five broken cameras without stating how they had been broken – I did not think the omission was intentional, but it was unfortunate.
    I cannot conceive of any way that pressure could be brought to bear on TMZ over its coverage of this incident, but I’m confident that more creative minds are at work on this right now.
    I was afraid I was going to have to start watching TMZ, until I saw the next report was about will.i.am’s $900,000 car and the previous one about Lindsay Lohan. Phew!

• kalithea
      February 22, 2013, 4:34 pm

Burnat is caught between a rock and a hard place…TSA and TMZ.

3. Pamela Olson
    February 21, 2013, 12:49 pm

This is so awesome! Like worlds colliding… it’s so surreal to see a Palestinian hero and witness of nonviolent resistance being interviewed by people who’s next story is about Kristin Stewart’s love life (or whatever). Never thought I’d see the day.

Thank you, LAX, for this free and excellent publicity!

4. munro
    February 21, 2013, 1:01 pm

The parallels between this story and Argo are just absurd… but he’s a real filmmaker trying to get through the airport. Weird.

5. Les
    February 21, 2013, 4:13 pm

Israel’s plan for peace can best be summed by “Yes, we definitely support peace and a Palestinian state, but, if you would excuse me please, I have to get to the ribbon cutting ceremony on the new Settlement.”

link to rawstory.com

6. stopaipac
    February 21, 2013, 11:01 pm

you know this is probably one of the first times many americans have probably heard of “Palestinians” as a people involved in a non-violent struggle, as many americans never read or see actual news outside celebrity gossip pages/tv shows such as this.

7. kalithea
    February 22, 2013, 4:01 pm

I know they say that any publicity is good publicity but TMZ, REALLY, come on???

I feel bad for Burnat who’s innocent of “America’s ways” and got trapped in this screwball scenario; first getting worked over by the TSA and then TMZ, oh lord!, but that’s America for ya’…welcome to America and the theater of the absurd! What an introduction for this poor fellow, but brilliant man who should be welcomed with all the dignity and respect his accomplishment deserves. Instead, upon entry he’s assailed and trapped between TSA and TMZ; this speaks volumes for where the U.S. is today.

IMO TMZ has a reputation for the inane and the shallow and exploits and ridicules the unsuspecting and often hapless without boundaries and Burnat who is naturally uninformed on their usual stunts is but a pawn in their tawdry theater and he deserves much more dignified attention.

The Palestinian cause deserves to be raised up and this is what this director is accomplishing. But TMZ diminishes all that it touches and the Palestinian struggle doesn’t need to be further undermined by a bunch of clowns. And you’d think that the broken cameras issue would matter to these paparazzo characters who missed the point in a serious way. But thankfully, no parallels were drawn! It would just end up belittling this director’s hard-earned accomplishment. Someone should have rescued him from this!

Nuff said.

• lyn117
      February 22, 2013, 7:07 pm

I think the interview with Emad Burnat raises TMZ hugely, rather than TMZ diminishing this incident it touched. I probably still won’t watch it.

8. kalithea
    February 22, 2013, 5:04 pm

Soooo, you really, really think that by posting my one-liners and excluding my integral comments that I put thought and time into you’re going to convince me that you’re not totally biased against what I have to say? Hmmm…talk about censorship. But then I noticed it only happens on your (AH) threads. Why is that??? An explanation would be nice.

• Annie Robbins
      February 22, 2013, 5:09 pm

our deepest apologies for not accommodating your comments fast enough for your tastes ms kalithea. i’ll send an alert into management to make sure it doesn’t happen again/not. btw, i just checked trash..went back daze, nothing of yours in there. complain complain complain.

• kalithea
        February 22, 2013, 7:39 pm

Thank you. I see my longer comment showed up now! I appreciate that. Just wish the moderation was timely and consistent…

• Annie Robbins
        February 23, 2013, 12:20 am

Just wish the moderation was timely and consistent…

me too. now, if we could just find some bots who didn’t get sidetracked doing whatever they wanted, like following posters links and reading the main posts, being..curious (that’s really a time killer) linking to other sites (OMG), stopping to eat (those telephones, shheesh), tweeting, commenting (AHH!!) and ..y’know, having a life… it would all be … better.

But then I noticed it only happens on your (AH) threads. Why is that???

AH is a busy guy, i don’t think he spends much time moderating or hanging in the threads, just a hunch.