Israeli rocker and occupation critic, Izhar Ashdot: Eric Burdon will play Israel with me

ActivismIsrael/Palestine
Nitzani and Ashdot at Tel Aviv Beach, Vienna
Izhar Ashdot (right) and Yair Nitzani on Tel Aviv Beach in Vienna (yes, you read that correctly) shortly before meeting Eric Burdon to finalize the August 1 concert in Binyamina, Israel.  Illustration is a screen grab from Ashdot’s Facebook page.

According to a personal message I received yesterday (Sunday) from Izhar Ashdot, Eric Burdon will be performing in Israel despite reports that he had cancelled his scheduled appearance due to alleged threats from Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) activists. Mondoweiss covered the reported cancellation, as well as the U.S. Campaign for an Academic and Cultural Boycott statement denying that the BDS movement uses violent threats.

Ashdot is a founding member of the popular Israeli rock group Tislam.  He personally invited Burdon to appear with his group on stage on August 1 in an amphitheater in Binyamina, Israel.   Ashdot wrote me that Burdon would be arriving in Israel today (Monday) and quoted the British rock legend as telling him that, “… he will stand by his promise of two weeks ago: ‘I believe in everyone’s right to music, without connection his/her politics.’”  The Jerusalem Post reported that the legendary British rocker told Ashdot:

It’s impossible to prevent music. Everyone needs music and there’s no connection to current politics. Everyone has the right to be entertained.

Ironically, Ashdot recently recorded what I believe to be a most powerful and insightful anti-occupation song called “A Matter of Habit.”  As a result the singer was subjected to a barrage of hate-filled criticism and invective both in the Israeli press and on social media sites.  Annie Robbins covered the story and linked to the video of  “A Matter of Habit” here at Mondoweiss.

I sent the Israeli rocker Annie’s post via Asdot’s Facebook page.  I expressed admiration for his courage in answering the criticism of his song’s trenchant protest against the occupation and elucidation of the corrosive role of the military in its perpetuation.  But I also expressed my “disappointment” that he did not use the Burdon cancellation to address the evils of the occupation and how it isolates Israel from the world community. In addition, I recommended that he address the occupation at the concert which was scheduled to go forward without Burdon.

Ashdot did not take kindly to my suggestion.  The singer wrote, among other expressions of disagreement with the thoughts express in my message:

I am afraid that you miss the principal point. The song “A Matter of Habit” is the way in which Alona [the song’s lyricist and Izhar’s life partner] and I express ourselves in regard to the occupation and the damage that it causes our children. Burdon not coming to Israel disappoints me very much, but just as I am against the occupation, I am against boycotts. I, myself, have appeared more than once in the occupied territories, in front of settlers, they are part of my people and one day we must welcome them back without regard to their politics. [My translation, IG.]

I am for boycotts. I supported the grape boycott, the boycott of apartheid South Africa and I wholeheartedly support the boycott of apartheid Israel. I think saying everyone has a right to music and entertainment is a pretty weak excuse for avoiding dealing with the decision of whether or not to perform in Israel. I have never heard of the right to entertainment, but know that the right to self-determination and freedom from occupation is codified in international law.

I can understand how an Israeli performing artist must make peace with his audience and that a complete oeuvre of anti-occupation tunes would be a career killer in Israel. But the Burdon cancellation was at its root about the occupation, so for Tislam’s statement to not mention it just seems to me to indicate that Ashdot is neglecting the obvious. The implied conclusion from his avoidance is that the situation in the territories really is not that bad. But it is.

Maybe my calling out Izhar like this is unfair. Maybe performing a song like “A Matter of Habit” is more than anyone should expect from someone who lives in the belly of the beast. Still, not talking about the occupation but rather his personal disappointment in not being able to perform with Burdon, somehow makes me hear Ashdot’s protest against Israeli oppression differently.

I asked Ashdot if he would sing “A Matter of Habit” at Binyamina.  He did not address my query in his message.

I hope the Israeli rocker will get the irony when Burdon sings, “We gotta get out of this place” in their joint performance.

Update: Notice of Burdon’s upcoming performance in Israel has just hit the Hebrew language press.

1. yrn
    July 29, 2013, 9:48 am

Ira Glunts

It’s not the first time I wrote it and not the last one.
    That’s why I am more amused to read here comments, by some who make themselves specialist regarding “what is going on in Israel”.

“I am afraid that you miss the principal point.” says it all.

BTW – Your assumption the “But the Burdon cancellation was at its root about the occupation, ” say’s it all too, as Burdon intent to cancel came because of threats he got, Burdon has been to Israel on a private tour and loved it.
    Keep on Writing and I will keep on been amused….. as you can keep on writing, but it’s not about Israeli’s but some kind of a perception you have about people on another planet…………

• Elliot
      July 29, 2013, 10:58 am

Yrn-
      Unlike mainstream Israeli performers like Izhar Ashdot, supporters of BDS care principally about the Palestinians, not the damage the Occupation does to Ilana and Izhar Ashdot’s kids….who are affected by the Occupation how? If they live in Israel proper, the separation wall shields them from the Occupation. Must be that Ashdot’s children are in the army. So Ashdot’s “principal point” is to protect his family and his friends’s families from the Occupation that they themselves enforce.
      Btw, I loved Radio Hazak, Tislam’s first single. Never figured out the words but the heavy rock cut through the standard pop music of the time.
      Tislam is mainstream Tel Aviv bubble. Nothing edgy about them unless if you ask a harcore settler.

• Annie Robbins
      July 29, 2013, 11:28 am

hey yrn, killer promo for the show/ticket sales you gotta admit! first plaster the internet w/the allegation he was so threatened he just couldn’t make the trip and had to cancel and then… whoops! the courageous burdon can make it after all!

lol, yeah like we sooo get israeli society.

• ritzl
        July 29, 2013, 11:46 am

You’re too young to be that cynical, Annie. :) But I’m not, so great point!

• Annie Robbins
        July 29, 2013, 11:49 am

yeah, this has got PR written all over it.

• Sumud
      July 29, 2013, 12:36 pm

I don’t care to hear the rapist’s pathetic excuses and explanations for their crimes.

Not relevant. Does not excuse a thing.

• Elliot
      July 29, 2013, 12:53 pm

@yrn:
      “You Phill Wiess and NO one here has NO understanding regarding the Israeli Society and you will never will.

I’m curious why Ira and Phil can never, ever penetrate the secrets of Israeli society, even if they visit an infinite number of times. What if they moved there for a few months, or a year or more? Is there a point of familiarity at which Mondoweiss commenters (who you don’t agree with) might crack this code?

Since “NO one here has NO understanding”, what say you to a non-resident Israeli like myself. Did I lose my ability to understand the secrets when I left? What if I go back – can I re-learn the secret or is it lost forever?

• piotr
        July 30, 2013, 11:09 pm

I think that some dialects of English allow for double negation, and quite a few Slavic languages as well. To quote:

“I shot the sheriff, but I didn’t shoot no deputy, oh no nooo”
        “You invite me to a war party, me no wanna go”

I guess that to a generation that learned English from reggae songs rather then the Bard this is a natural construction.

Concerning the understanding, I am not capable of it, but I think I have some idea what is it about. When your soul melds into an organic Jewish unity of spirits, the Land, and tombs, and walls and Halacha and so on you experience Satori, an Illumination, the level of understanding that mere words are inadequate to convey.

• amigo
      July 29, 2013, 3:27 pm

“BTW – Your assumption the “But the Burdon cancellation was at its root about the occupation, ” say’s it all too, as Burdon intent to cancel came because of threats he got, ” yarn.

I and many others asked you for credible proof of these accusations.Where are they???.

And here you are back again more with lies and hasbara.

“according to Adam Shay of the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs.” (from Breibart link supplied by you.)

Enjoy being a fraud.Do ya.

• MRW
      July 30, 2013, 11:01 am

Where’s Danaa with her Handiwipes when you need her?

• Polly
      July 30, 2013, 2:01 pm

“Ira and Wiess can visit in Israel a million times, but they will always be ignorant regarding the Israeli Society.”

Wow YRN, so Phil Weiss can spend most of his daily LIFE writing about, endlessly researching, travelling to and agonizing over Israel, but ultimately he’s got no understanding of it and never will?
      Really?

• Citizen
      July 30, 2013, 2:04 pm

@ yrn

The Israeli society cost US taxpayers $8.5 million per day, plus interest, and all that money goes to perpetuate values that are Israeli, not American, which is 98% non-Jewish, and even less, Jewish Zionist. We Americans understand that, and we also understand that 9/11 attack was motivated chiefly by the American government’s rubber-stamping of Israel right or wrong, which is not an American value.

Also, as per update commenter below:
      The Electronic Intifada reached Elizabeth Freund, Burdon’s New York based press agent, by telephone this morning to ask about the nature of the threats and whether they had been reported to any law enforcement agency.

Freund told The Electronic Intifada she had no information and referred further inquiries to Burdon’s “management.” Freund said that she would forward The Electronic Intifada’s emailed inquiry to Burdon’s manager.

Two additional emails sent to Marianna Burdon, at an address posted on Eric Burdon’s official website, have received no response.

So, what do you think of that?

2. Citizen
    July 29, 2013, 10:04 am

RE The Zionist, Ashdot: “… [We} express ourselves in regard to the occupation and the damage that it causes our children.” Nothing at all about the damage it causes the Palestinian children. Unlike the Jewish settlers, they are not “part of my people.”

RE The American, Burdon: I wonder where he got the idea that there’s a right to be entertained? He knows this, but not that international law does give legal rights to which the Palestinians are entitled, such rights his own government tramps on daily by funding Israel and defending it in the UN SC? Burdon, despite his advanced age, sounds very ignorant, juvenile, and uneducated. (As for his talent, except for one single hit, is he more talented, then say, The Monkeys?)

3. ritzl
    July 29, 2013, 10:10 am

Ashdot: “I express ourselves in regard to the occupation and the damage that it causes our children.”

Ashdot still only sees and laments how the occupation indirectly affects Israelis. How learning to subordinate morality because we have to do these bad deeds hurts us (Israelis). It’s an oblique criticism of the Occupation. It’s a form of “shooting and crying” and/or “this hurts me as much as it hurts you.”

I suppose that view has some merit. It’s certainly something critical. It’s an expression of moral rot.* But given that insularity, it seems only natural and normal that Ashdot would conclude music can be the sunlight to the soul, and therefore have principle problem solving effect.

The problem is that Palestinians are being killed for wanting to be free. Their kids are being born with birth defects from nitrate-laced water. Etc…. There’s nothing oblique about any of that. It’s happening. It’s real. It’s deadly. It requires a non-oblique (direct) approach to solving (coercing a solution) the problem. BDS is that direct approach and is, to me, entirely focused on getting Israelis to step outside their insularity. Ashdot, and apparently Burdon, completely miss that minor point.

At the personal level, Burdon’s acceptance enables Ashdot to avoid what’s happening to Palestinians.

* Here are the lyrics to “A Matter of Habit” translated by Emily Hauser at Open Zion:

link to thedailybeast.com

It’s getting harder and harder to entertain this type of tangential-is-the-best-I-can-do “protest” music/sentiment from Israelis, as actual protest. It seems more of a treatment of yet another “hardship” of being Israeli, while people are dying a few meters away, by Israeli hands. Perhaps I’m being too harsh.

Thanks again, Ira. Great advocacy. Interesting result.

• ritzl
      July 29, 2013, 10:22 am

Oh and Mr. Ashdot, contemplate this effect on your children. Try reducing the amount of water they use by 50% to 75%. Palestinian children do it. And throw some salt into it if you want to understand brackish water in Gaza. Palestinian children do brackish as well.

4. Taxi
    July 29, 2013, 11:00 am

‘I hate the occupation but I ain’t doing anything about it – well I’ll play my guitar to whoever will listen – it’s about the best that I can do.’

Yeah right mister sensitive isreali ‘rocker’?

• starofdavidscotland
      July 30, 2013, 5:06 am

Plenty of countries in the world are “occupied” do you care about them or is it only the Jews u condemn. How very Arabist

• Taxi
        July 30, 2013, 7:09 am

Well enjoy YOUR occupation while you can, dear. Nothing you can say or do that will distract from YOUR diabolical SIXTY FIVE year old occupation.

Hope you’re putting your pennies away for Reparation Day.

• starofdavidscotland
        July 30, 2013, 2:46 pm

That’ll be the 300 billion dollars owed to the 836000 Jews who were GENUINELY ethnic cleansed by Arabs and Muslim countries post 1948. As opposed to the Arabs who mostly had emigrated to Israel post 1881 AFTER the Zionist had come to reclaim the land from the malarial infested barren state it had become, and who were forced to leave BY THE ARAB LEAGUE who told them if they didnt they’d be treated as traitors.

Ethnic cleansing of Jews

Morocco 265,000 5,500
        Syria 30,000 Less than 100
        Tunisia 105,000 1,500
        Yemen 55,000 (in Aden: another 8,000) 200

• Walid
        July 30, 2013, 9:50 pm

“Ethnic cleansing of Jews”

starofdavid, of the 10 countries you listed, actual mass expulsion of Jews happened only in Egypt and this was done in 3 major waves (’48, Lavon, ’67), each time pursuant to a misdeed by Israel. What you listed about the other 9 countries is bogus since these countries were emptied of their Jewish populations either by Jews voluntarily leaving or by being coerced into doing so by the Zionist enterprise.

• talknic
        July 31, 2013, 12:43 am

starofdavidscotland “That’ll be the 300 billion dollars owed to the 836000 Jews who were GENUINELY ethnic cleansed by Arabs and Muslim countries post 1948

Uh? Jewish folk from Arab/Muslim countries took up citizenship elsewhere. They are no longer refugees, they have no refugee rights.

BTW It’s quite NORMAL for countries at war to expel or inter possible 5th columnists. The US, UK, Australia did from their own territory during WWII. The situation reverted at wars end

Jewish forces expelled non-Jews in the months before and during the 1948 Israeli war on what remained of Palestine, except they did it in territory slated for the Jewish state AND territory slated for the Arab state / in territory “outside the State of Israel” ..”in Palestine” . Israel has never allowed any return. They’re still refugees

BTW The Palestinians didn’t evict Jews from the Arab States, nor did the Palestinians elect the leaders of the Arab states.

“As opposed to the Arabs who mostly had emigrated to Israel post 1881 “

There was no Israel till 1948.

” Zionist had come to reclaim the land from the malarial infested barren state it had become”

“become” interesting theory. BTW have actually read Innocence Abroad? link to wp.me

“who were forced to leave BY THE ARAB LEAGUE who told them if they didnt they’d be treated as traitors.”

You can quote from a record of this…yes? Historical researchers have been looking for over half a century… YOU WILL BE FAMOUS!!!!!

• Shingo
        July 31, 2013, 8:19 am

False. The 836000 figure, which seems to go up every year by 100,000, refers to all the Jews that left Arab lands, most of whom refuse to be referred to as refugees and insist they migrated to Israel for messianic reasons.

That was debunked when Joanne Peters book, which made that claim originally, was exposed as a fraud.

Ethnic cleansing of Jews

Those figures again refer to all the Jews that left, or were drive out. Only a tine fraction were forced to leave. After all, unlike the ethnic cleansing of 750,000 Palestinians (over 12 months) , the Jews that left the Arab states took 30 years to leave.

• MRW
        July 30, 2013, 11:04 am

Please name these occupied countries.

• Citizen
        July 30, 2013, 11:33 am

@ starofdavidscotland
        Care to name a few of those “plenty of countries” that are “occupied”?
        Please do, so we know what you are talking about and why you put quote marks around the word “occupied.”

And also, tell us how many of them get $8.5 million dollars a day from the US taxpayers in direct aid, and with interest. And how many of them have a US pocket veto at the UN
        SC.
        Looking forward to your reply.

• starofdavidscotland
        July 30, 2013, 1:47 pm

Please name these occupied countries. ….

Sure

Try Northern Cyprus for starters. Occupied by…

Then there’s Western Sahara occupied by…

Oh and what about west Papua New Guinea occupied by…

Tibet occupied by…

Do some research

Care to comment on the oil owned Arab UN with its 56 block votes and dozens of others bought n paid for by the decrepit corrupt oil sheiks who rule and buy pretty much everything and use thir dosh to subjugate their people’s and keep them in poverty. They could have solved the Arab Palestinian issue decades ago but chose not to. Why is that?

• piotr
        July 30, 2013, 2:46 pm

None of the examples given by our friend from Scotland involve subjugation of a population stripped of political rights. For example, Tibetans, Saharans, west Papuans have the rights of the Chinese, Moroccans or Indonesians on theoretical level, and on practical level are not affected by restrictions of movement, denial of rights to perform simple economic activity and myriad of other Apartheid types of oppression. You could as well add Scotland to the list.

• starofdavidscotland
        July 30, 2013, 3:09 pm

And finally that old canard about Israel being an apartheid and racist state. It’s not. Is there racial/religious segregation in education, in public transport, in medical services, in shopping area, in public eating places etc? Are people barred by their ethnicity from certain professions or jobs? Are they prevented from rising to the highest echelons of professional and commercial life?

• Djinn
        July 31, 2013, 12:54 am

I have been involved with the campaign to free West Papua for over 20 years, including supporting people who have fled WP and sought asylum here in Oz. Is that enough for you? After visiting Morocco several years ago I also became aware of and involved in the Western Sahara campaign.

Why on earth would you assume that people here only care about Palestine? Presumably you would expect to find more discourse about Palestine than West Papua, Tibet or Morocco on a blog that is subtitled “the war of ideas in the middle east”. Your assumption is similar to going on to a blog about restoring old cars and berating those there for discussing cars to the exclusion of all else. It is pure nonsense.

Of course there are people who will focus their energies on one issue, there is nothing wrong with that and does not need to reflect some nefarious agenda. Having traveled in Palestine and made many friends there, I’ll admit that I pay more attention to that area of the world than some others. I pay more attention to West Papua than Tibet because of it’s proximity to Australia and the karmic debt I feel Australians owe Papuans. It doesn’t mean I do not care at all about human rights abuses in Tibet, it just means I am not independently wealthy, have to work long hours and my time is not unlimited.

Just curious do you avoid giving money to any charity with the reasoning that unless you can give to ALL charities then it is biased? If not then why do you expect people to spend their time in such a way?

• talknic
        July 31, 2013, 4:12 am

starofdavidscotland ” Is there racial/religious segregation in education, in public transport, in medical services, in shopping area, in public eating places etc?

Yes to all of those … eg How many Arabs or Bedouin go to school, catch public transport, see a Dr or dentist or give birth, do their shopping or eat in a restaurant in Modi’in Illit?

• talknic
        July 31, 2013, 4:26 am

starofdavidscotland “Try Northern Cyprus … Western Sahara … Tibet “

They get $8.5 million dollars a day from the US taxpayers in direct aid? WOW!!

“west Papua New Guinea occupied by…”

No one. It is sovereign to Indonesia.

“Care to comment the BILLIONS given to the Arabs yr upon yr for decades. These Arabs are the BIGGEST recipients of our hard earned dollars, per capita on the planet. BAR NONE”

Statistics please … thx BTW starofdavidscotland .. our hard earned dollars ?? Something doesn’t quite add up!!!

“Care to comment on the oil owned Arab UN with its 56 block votes “

192 UN Members … 56 of 192 = 29% simple maths is not your forte

“They could have solved the Arab Palestinian issue decades ago but chose not to. Why is that?

Interesting theory.. How while Israel refused to end occupation, adhere to International Law, the UN Charter? It’s not the Arab states in breach of the law.

• Shingo
        July 31, 2013, 8:25 am

And finally that old canard about Israel being an apartheid and racist state.

It’s not a canard. and yes, it is an apartheid and racist state. Probably the most racist in the industrialized world.

You bet.

Segregation of Jews and Arabs in 2010 Israel is almost absolute
        link to haaretz.com

Are people barred by their ethnicity from certain professions or jobs?

Yes they are and if not, in the case of judges, they are forces to impose apartheid policies.

Yes they are. Arab workers are excluded from wealth generating sectors of the economy.

• Cliff
        July 31, 2013, 8:58 am

Israel is a racist, apartheid State.

There are racially/religiously-motivated discriminatory laws.

Arabs are institutionally discriminated against.

The Arab minority population is kept as a minority (in spite of being the indigenous population) so there is a perpetual Jewish majority.

• Elliot
        July 31, 2013, 10:33 am

As others have already shown, yes, Palestinians in Israel are blocked. In particular, they are barred from power.
        They are barred from participating in political power. One in four (30 out of 120) Members of The Knesset (Parliament) are government ministers or deputy ministers.
        How many of these ministers are Palestinian?
        Zero.

Compare the 100% Jewish government with this:
        link to whitehouse.gov

• Shingo
        July 31, 2013, 10:44 am

Superbly put Elliot

• OlegR
        July 31, 2013, 11:36 am

/None of the examples given by our friend from Scotland involve subjugation of a population stripped of political rights. /
        Right piotr
        that’s because in Cyprus that just expelled all the Greeks from the northern part.
        So did the Moroccans in Western Sahara.
        And the Tibetans now enjoy all the rights of Chinese citizens
        how luck they must be…

• OlegR
        July 31, 2013, 11:38 am

About the same number as that of Latino Americans or African Americans.
        In say Bel Air (or some other rich mostly white city in the US ).

• talknic
        July 31, 2013, 3:39 am

starofdavidscotland “Plenty of countries in the world are “occupied””

Uh huh. How many wrongs make a right? WOW!!! By your logic, because other countries are occupied, it would be OK for someone to occupy Israel … yes?

“do you care about them or is it only the Jews u condemn.”

“Jews” ? Convenient conflation … cute. You must be a real newby. Israel is the Occupying Power over non-Israeli territories. “Jews” aren’t mentioned in any UNSC resolutions naming the Occupying Power over Arab territories.

• MHughes976
        July 31, 2013, 10:28 am

The validity of the claim that certain moral laws are being broken by one identified human group does not in the least change because the same laws are also being broken (if indeed that is the case) by others, specifically identified or not, outside that group. If you identify in your personal sentiments with a group that is making the relevant moral mistake you should, because your sentiments give you a personal involvement, hasten to correct things as far as your own group is concerned. If the members of other groups aren’t accepting their responsibilities that’s no reason for you to refuse yours. Don’t see any other way to look at morality.

• RoHa
        July 31, 2013, 8:11 pm

Quite right, MHughes, but do you really expect a Zionist like sodscot to understand basic morality?

5. ckg
    July 29, 2013, 12:46 pm

Electronic Intifada inquired but could not uncover any evidence of “threats”.

No information from Burdon’s camp

• Citizen
      July 30, 2013, 11:36 am

@ cjg
      Thanks for the info. Let us know if new info becomes available. Looks more and more to me that Burdon is just trying to rekindle his crappy senile career as a musician.

6. Ludwig
    July 29, 2013, 1:27 pm

I encourage more artists to come to Israel. My goodness, nobody batted an eye when Mariah Carey played for Ghaddafi.

• talknic
      July 31, 2013, 3:25 am

Ludwig “I encourage more artists to come to Israel.”

Wonderful. You do know the limits of territory actually sovereign to Israel are “within frontiers approved by the General Assembly of the United Nations in its Resolution of November 29, 1947″ link to trumanlibrary.org There’s been no change to their legal status in 65 years. No other territories have ever been legally annexed to the Jewish state.

“My goodness, nobody batted an eye when Mariah Carey played for Ghaddafi “

Uh huh. Why is it apologists for the illegal activities of the Occupying Power over non-Israeli territories never check their ‘facts’ link to google.com

• Ludwig
        July 31, 2013, 11:00 pm

Talknic. I and other legal scholars vehemently disagree with your assertions.

• Shingo
        August 1, 2013, 6:46 am

It’s your right to disagree but you are wrong Ludwig. As they say, you are entitled to your opinion, not your own facts.

• talknic
        August 1, 2013, 8:07 am

@ Ludwig “I and other legal scholars”

Care to put up some of your learned Hasbarrister evidence

• Shingo
        August 1, 2013, 8:09 am

More to the point, would he care to demonstrate how that evidence fared when presented to the the ICJ?

• Citizen
        August 1, 2013, 8:44 am

Is he claiming to be an attorney?

7. OlegR
    July 29, 2013, 4:34 pm

Well here is the Ashdod’s song you were talking about.
    link to youtube.com

Yrn was right btw Philip you really don’t get us ….

• a blah chick
      July 29, 2013, 10:46 pm

You make that sound like it’s a bad thing.

• MRW
      July 30, 2013, 11:11 am

The words must be spectacular to get the attention it does, because musically it’s Vegas lounge-level nondescript.

• Annie Robbins
        July 30, 2013, 1:16 pm

mrw, ira linked to my post in the article ( “Annie Robbins covered the story and linked to the video of “A Matter of Habit” here at Mondoweiss.”) which contains the video and the lyrics. also, there’s a cc icon on the video which brings up the english translation subtitles. here’s the link again:

link to mondoweiss.net

8. Elliot
    July 29, 2013, 6:03 pm

Oleg, thank you for posting the link. So, it actually is an Israeli parent’s song to their child, the soldier enforcing the Occupation. You are not going to get much sympathy from commenters for Ashdot’s feelings on this. Why did Ashdot not have his child opt out of the Occupation? Tens of thousands of young Israelis find ways to avoid serving on the West Bank.
    Re Ira’s point, he could do it quietly and still keep his career.
    Yorim uvochim (they shoot, then they cry)

• OlegR
      July 30, 2013, 4:12 am

Neither i nor Ashdot require any sympathy ,thanks.
      He is singing to himself as much as to the Israeli society in general.
      That’s his pictures in the clip.

• Elliot
        July 30, 2013, 9:51 am

@oleg
        “Israel patriot…talks to the Israeli public in Hebrew instead of trying to gain cheap score points abroad.”

Unlike Netanyahu, Peres and all other Israeli leaders who spend many days each year trying to score cheap points abroad, not in Hebrew.

• Elliot
        July 30, 2013, 9:56 am

Agreed. Ashdot is valuable as a snapshot of what is Israeli mainstream opposition to the settlements:
        We will send our kids to do their three years conscript service in the army and we’ll send them over the Green Line to enforce the Occupation and protect the settlers,
        BUT
        we’ll tell them:
        a. try to not be too brutal while you’re over there and
        b. if that fails, we’ll acknowledge the brutality and be a little tormented over it (while still agonizing over how much of it is necessary).

• MRW
        July 30, 2013, 11:13 am

Elliot, your a and b. ;-)

9. OlegR
    July 30, 2013, 4:50 am

Of course if you want to hear real radical Israeli protest songs you should listen to these guys.

10. amigo
    July 30, 2013, 5:55 am

“His views are nothing new he is a well known Meretz activist but he always was an Israeli patriot that’s why through his work he talks to the Israeli public in Hebrew instead of trying to gain cheap score points abroad.” Oleg r.

You do mean he is talking to 80 % of the Israeli public—Jews.

Why try to score points with the rest of “Israeli Society”.

Your racism is so transparent.

• OlegR
      July 31, 2013, 11:41 am

/You do mean he is talking to 80 % of the Israeli public—Jews./

No you mean that so you can accuse me of something with vague resemblance to logic.
      Fail !

11. starofdavidscotland
    July 30, 2013, 3:06 pm

Roll call of honour. Dozens of wonderful artists have performed in Israel. But funnily enough not in Palestine. Why is that now?

Artists like Sir Paul McCartney. Madonna. Leonard Cohen. Depeche Mode. Alicia Keys. Streisand.
    Lady Gaga, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Black Eyed Peas, Missy Elliott, Alanis Morisette, Elton John, The Pet Shop Boys, Rhianna and Shakira ERIC BURDON etc etc

• talknic
      July 31, 2013, 3:16 am

starofdavidscotland “Dozens of wonderful artists have performed in Israel. But funnily enough not in Palestine. Why is that now?”

Occupation, blockade and embargoes imposed by the Occupying Power. I’m guessing you don’t read any UNSC resolutions, but you don’t read the news? WOW!!!

• piotr
        July 31, 2013, 11:49 am

In case of tours, I think a host must guarantee some revenue from tickets. As Mitt Romney discovered when he visited the area, the disposable income in Palestine is many times lower than in Israel.

And there is a myriad reasons related to occupation.

• starofdavidscotland
        August 1, 2013, 6:37 am

There are two borders with Palestine one is Jordan the other is Egypt. Both Muslim Arab countries. Plenty go in and. Out ALL THE TIME yet none of these artists chose to play there. They know and see actual apartheid and lack of human rights when they see it!

Democracy? These Arabs balk at the idea. Women rights ditto free speech and media ditto gay rights don’t make me laugh. Free judiciary. Hahahaahhahaha. Free and fair elections aye sure

• jon s
      July 31, 2013, 1:44 pm

Starofdavidscotland, You’re ignoring theatre , opera, dance, classical music (conductors, soloists) and Jazz. The list of artists who perform here is too long to enumerate.

12. jon s
    July 31, 2013, 1:03 am

Eric Burden is here in Israel and there was an item on Channel 10 news yesterday evening.
    This is from memory, but I’m not making it up:
    Reporter: Were you threatened by pro-Palestinian activists?
    Burden: No.
    Reporter: You didn’t receive threatening letters?
    Burden: No letters, just tweets. Actually one tweet.
    Reporter: Your manager [and wife] said that you were threatened.
    Burden: It was a misunderstanding. Those things happen between married couples.
    Channel 10 inserts: “Please Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood”.
    Back to the interview. Burden starts coughing, holding his throat.
    Reporter: It looks like you’re ill. Are you sure you can perform?
    Burden: I need a miracle.

• jon s
      July 31, 2013, 5:17 am

Oops, sorry for misspelling his name. Burdon.

• Elliot
        July 31, 2013, 1:48 pm

I like your typo better:

Hubbie’s tweet unclear
        wife embroiders to the press
        What a pain. Burden.

13. seanmcbride
    July 31, 2013, 11:56 am

Reporter: Were you threatened by pro-Palestinian activists?
    Burden: No.
    Reporter: You didn’t receive threatening letters?
    Burden: No letters, just tweets. Actually one tweet.
    Reporter: Your manager [and wife] said that you were threatened.
    Burden: It was a misunderstanding. Those things happen between married couples.

So the Simon Wiesenthal Center and many pro-Israel activists made a big propaganda noise on the basis of a single tweet — the content of which still hasn’t been made available to the public?

A long succession of incidents like this have thoroughly destroyed the credibility of the Israel lobby and pro-Israel activism in general. Too many pro-Israel activists are ungrounded in the fact-based world or couldn’t care less about telling the truth. One can’t believe a word that comes out of their mouths without triple-checking it.

• jon s
      August 1, 2013, 6:47 am

It’s possible that his manager/wife did receive threats , decided not to share them with him, and decided on her own to cancel. When he found out, he vetoed the cancellatiom. Who would pass on the opportunity of playing with Tislam?

14. thetumta
    July 31, 2013, 11:12 pm

Eric Burden and who? Wasn’t important then and desperate now. Perhaps he’ll OD before he gets there. Oh, the damage this pathetic endeavor is bringing about! How desperate, preying on Junkies?

Hej! Tumta

15. starofdavidscotland
    August 2, 2013, 5:11 am

I could say that its the Arabs who occupy Judea and Samaria given to the Jews as a Homeland in 1917 but I won’t

I could say that San Remo Treaty in 1920 confirmed this and the League of Nations rubber stamped it in 1922. But I won’t

I could say the United Nations article 80 etched it in international consciences but I won’t

I could say UN resolution 181 inscribed it in Law but I won’t

I could say that the Arabs attacked in 1947, 1948 1967 and 1973 and lost every war they started. But I won’t

I could say the Arabs rejected every state they have been offered going way back to 1937. But I won’t

I could say that Israel does not illegally “occupy” anywhere as the land of Judea Samaria and E Jerusalem was previously Jordanian but they lost it in their war of aggression against Israel in 1967, so legally Israel has every right to annex (plenty of international precedents) and in any case the Jordanians were not a so called High Contracting Party so the land cannot be consider previously legally owned under international law. But I won’t

I could say that never before do the vanquished get to set the terms of the Peace. But I won’t

I could say that Britain has millions of Asian immigrants who live in peace, equality and harmony so why can’t these Arabs live similarly in Israel. Why do they want to cut off ANOTHER 22% of Israel in addition to the 77% given away to Jordan in 1922. But I won’t

I could say that irrespective of the above the Arabs occupy 5,000,000sq miles of the Middle East. Israel a mere 8000, but the Arabs insist on occupying Israel too? Why? But I won’t

Make peace not wars Arabs. Simples.