A Thanksgiving from Hell — US ‘native foods’ at the UN feature Snickers and Oreos

Last week we ran an anonymous report from the UN Women’s Guild bazaar in Geneva that described the processed, corporate offerings at the American booth. Well, dear reader, here’s the proof: Four anonymous photos from the American women’s booth.

As the UN Women’s Guild says, at the bazaar “one will find a myriad of national booths and restaurant stalls at which native crafts and foods are sold.”

As George W. Bush says, They hate us for our freedom.

As Holden Caulfield says, Jesus H. Christ.

photo 1 photo 2 photo 3 photo 4

P.S. My headline is an homage to Samantha Power’s book. These offerings surely embarrass our creative ambassador, too.

1. Bumblebye
    November 27, 2013, 11:02 am

Okaay.
    So who (corporate, natch!) sponsored the American Women’s booth?
    Obviously ‘somebody’ thought mass production is a modern craft!

2. David Nelson
    November 27, 2013, 11:11 am

If only Sam Walton were here to see the success of his cultural coup d’état! Cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap! Didn’t the Americans invent the internet and i phones?

3. Woody Tanaka
    November 27, 2013, 11:19 am

Ugh. This place is a cultural desert.

• Krauss
      November 27, 2013, 12:53 pm

Compare American cheese, processed slime, to European cheese. Oh, wait, there is no comparison.

All the great food in America is imported from the outside. Go eat Indian or Vietnamese or Japanese or Italian, French or Thai food. Whatever you do, you don’t eat “native” American food. I’m sure the native Americans were good cooks. Too bad they were almost entirely eradicated and put into reservations.

• Woody Tanaka
        November 27, 2013, 2:12 pm

“All the great food in America is imported from the outside…. Whatever you do, you don’t eat ‘native’ American food.”

I wouldn’t go that far. The problem isn’t the food, but how it is prepared. I’ve had plenty of American fare that was properly prepared, using good ingredients and it was fine. The problem is that the society doesn’t value that; it values the commericalization and commodification that results in the stuff on display here.

• seafoid
        November 27, 2013, 6:03 pm

Granola isn’t bad.

4. W.Jones
    November 27, 2013, 11:27 am

Some American dishes I think are from the Native Americans like stew with turkey and corn.

5. Don
    November 27, 2013, 11:46 am

Geez, Phil…go right ahead, criticize my staple diet.

6. Cliff
    November 27, 2013, 11:48 am

Like many other things, we export our obesity.

7. marc b.
    November 27, 2013, 11:59 am

well, you saw the displays from the US at the 55th Art Biennale in Venice? movie stills from ‘barely legal gang bang’ and ‘saw XIV’. if only hawthorne or twain were alive to see how far this nation has come, culturally. the pride they’d feel.

8. piotr
    November 27, 2013, 12:09 pm

So now we can sample the findings of Mondoweiss Intelligence Network and its undercover agents!

On the other hand, I perceive point of view of a non-American who feels superior over American version of home cooking. I was told by a Polish women about her conversation at her place of work in USA:

I got some cold so I made chicken soup.

Aren’t you afraid of those chemicals?

Afraid of what?

In some countries, like Poland, chicken soup is something made of chicken and vegetables AT HOME. A person using cans to do something so simple is a weirdo. But in USA it is the other way around.

• marc b.
      November 27, 2013, 12:29 pm

you got me nostalgic. my babcha was a great cook. ironically, she also made the best pizza ever. couldn’t ever replicate the recipe, even with her help. (kielbasa, kishka, pierogies, kapusta, kartofle – I think that the polish word for potatoes is from the german. I forget. that has been my Christmas eve for more than a half century.)

9. bangpound
    November 27, 2013, 4:03 pm

Phil Weiss is an expert #doomedCulture spotter.

10. howardtlewisiii
    November 27, 2013, 5:59 pm

EIGHT bottles of GMO Karo corn syrup AND TEN bottles of mapeline flavored GMO corn syrup. Plus instant cookies and crud. Does congress and the White House dine on this swill in elegant splendor? I apologize to the world for this or that lapse in judgement by America’s representatives, regularly. They continually act as if brain pithed like a lab frog and I try to find the cure 24/7. They get paid to do what they do which is so contrary to self-preservation. I don’t get paid to fight their madness. What a burn.

11. dbroncos
    November 28, 2013, 11:01 pm

I wonder if the American Women’s Guild considered a Columbian exchange theme for their booth.
    Native Foods From The Americas:

corn, potato, tomato, bell pepper, chili pepper, vanilla, beans, pumpkin, cassava root, avocado, peanut, pecan, cashew, pineapple, cacao, banana, coffee etc…

It’s astonishing to think that many of these food stuffs had to travel around the world, returning only recently to the US as ingredients used in more sophisticated food cultures from other parts of the world- Thai food, Italian food etc., before Americans could appreciate their more complex or simple secrets.

Perhaps the Woman’s Guild is more interested in promoting America’s role in pioneering the post-food phase of our evolution.