Contribute to Mondoweiss end of the year fundraiser and receive copy of Max Blumenthal’s ‘Goliath’

It’s the end of the year and the time that we appeal to readers for help. Our budget comes in large part from you, our readers. Your tax-deductible contributions have allowed us to grow in size and in relevance and to begin to pay for reporting from the region. In the last year we’ve broken more stories and received more attention than ever before. A lot of that is because the American conversation about the conflict is changing. But then we’ve played our part in changing it. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation today to help us continue this important work.

Blumenthal-GoliathMax Blumenthal’s book Goliath has been part of that change as well — it represents a decisive blow to the American understanding of what Israel is —  and we are offering a copy of this important book as a gift to all readers who donate $60 or more. In January we are planning a opportunity for Mondoweiss readers to engage with Blumenthal on the site where you will be able ask him questions about his reporting, the book and its reception. So be sure to read Goliath before that!

Of course you can give more than $60; we hope that you will be generous (and we may have some other premiums to unveil in days to come). We’re grateful for the incredible backing we’ve gotten from readers around the world. We’ve built this site with your help. Please think of us in the weeks to come, we really appreciate your support.

DonateNow

About Adam Horowitz, Scott Roth and Philip Weiss

Adam Horowitz and Philip Weiss are Co-Editors, and Scott Roth is Publisher, of Mondoweiss.net.

1. piotr
    December 3, 2013, 2:06 pm

I guess I am always complaining about Mondoweiss fundraising. First, we all got our copies of Goliath already (at least, many of us) and thus it would be nice to have more options for so-called generous gifts, like hand-made plate of Annie Robbins for donations above X. So I would list some suggestions:

1. t-shirt

2. cup (machine made)

3. mouse pad

4. cookie that prevents fundraising pop-up for the next 3 months (or 6, or 12, or for the lifetime if the donation exceeds 1000 dollars)

5. invitation for a dinner with the editors (above 1000) or founders (above 5000)

6. invitation to a cruise of Mediterranean with discussion and lectures (above 10000), if too few people would classify, the cruise can be relocated to Hudson river and combined with the dinner.

7. auction of items like autographed books or hand-made pottery that were donated for the occasion.

• pabelmont
      December 3, 2013, 2:46 pm

Kiyak in Hudson? Love the suggestions!

• Rusty Pipes
      December 3, 2013, 2:47 pm

8. A donation of $20,000 gets you a front row seat at the Alterman/Blumenthal debate.

• irishmoses
        December 3, 2013, 9:43 pm

Rusty Pipes said:

December 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm

It would have to be a $30,000 donation as Alterman requires a $10K subrosa fee from Phil to garner his participation.

• Rusty Pipes
        December 4, 2013, 1:51 pm

The $20,000 would cover speaker fees for both Alterman and Blumenthal (who could donate it to charity if he chose). The tickets to fill the hall would be the Mondoweiss fundraiser.

• ritzl
      December 3, 2013, 8:34 pm

LOL>Agree. Promotional lagnappes like a T or mug would be great. Something that would advertise the site and/or invite discussion.

I just met a Palestinian 20-something working at a doctor’s office. He was from Jerusalem. His father was a University higher-up (me nosy). I didn’t get to the point of asking him many more details, or whether he came to the US to remember or forget (not quite that nosy yet, but soon), but a MW “T” would help to advance that conversation.

2. amigo
    December 3, 2013, 2:23 pm

I, like Piotr have also got the book but will make a donation this weekend.

Thanks for all the valuable information you give us access to.

3. seafoid
    December 3, 2013, 3:01 pm

Phiip Weiss. Did the IDF confiscate the l at Ben Gurion last time?

4. Krauss
    December 3, 2013, 6:24 pm

I’ll donate. I haven’t yet decided for how much but certainly more than last time, which was the $5 minimum(I’m on a very tight student budget who can’t even afford MS Office but makes do with freeware). I’m one of those guys who can afford to pay down 5-10 dollars once in a while, not every month, but maybe once in a quarter.

This site is amazing. And so is Max. Although I already paid for his book, the only book I paid for this year. Otherwise I always borrow my books for a loan from the library, about 2-3 per week. So I’d consider that a strong compliment to Max, I’m incredibly careful with which books I actually buy.

By the way, why not make a conference or two per year. It could be interesting, first and foremost, because a lot of conferences on the Middle East are very political, narrow and/or they are about a specific topic. Secondly, this site’s editors could bring about a large crowd. And lastly, it could be a (mildly) profitable venture, if done right.

5. ritzl
    December 3, 2013, 9:34 pm

Does this have to be done via Tiny Pass, or must it be done via the “Donation” button? No problem either way. Just asking.

• Citizen
      December 3, 2013, 10:03 pm

How does one who just sends a check via snail mail avoid the endless subsequent popups for funds?

• DICKERSON3870
      December 3, 2013, 10:14 pm

I used the “Donation” button and paid via PayPal (without any apparent involvement of Tiny Pass).

• ritzl
        December 3, 2013, 10:42 pm

Thanks D.

• Adam Horowitz
      December 4, 2013, 2:47 pm

Best to use the donation button, thanks!

6. DICKERSON3870
    December 3, 2013, 10:13 pm

I’ve been chomping/champing at the bit to buy ‘Goliath’ since it became available. The only thing that held me back was that I thought it might be offered as a “gift” inducement in a fundraising campaign.
    Aren’t I an über-prescient genius?!?!
    I do so hate to pay retail! It just bugs the living hell out of me.

7. NorthCascadian
    December 3, 2013, 10:50 pm

I would contemplate donating to Mondoweiss if on the fundraising pop up the ad showed some people whom I want to support rather than people I can’t stand. Where are the Palestinians?

• German Lefty
      December 4, 2013, 2:44 pm

Where are the Palestinians?
      Um, Abbas is in the picture and he is a Palestinian.

8. Citizen
    December 4, 2013, 6:15 am

I’ve always donated by a check sent via snail mail. I’ve never had anything to do with Tinypass. Yet they sent me an email today saying they have granted me access to MW until January 1, next. They gave me a link to view my Tinypass account. It requires a password, which, naturally I don’t have. There’s a reset password function, but why do I need that since I’ve never had a Tinypass password? I’ve always had my regular MW ID and password. I really don’t understand why they sent me such an email. Anybody know?

9. bintbiba
    December 4, 2013, 9:37 am

Donated via paypal. Already bought the book 3 weeks ago.
    Max is amazing…. and so are Mondopeople! Many thanks for all you do !

10. Parity
    December 4, 2013, 12:35 pm

I just donated $60 via PayPal but was never asked where I wanted the book to to mailed to. How is Mondoweiss going to know where to mail the book?

Also, it occurs to me that copies of Goliath would make good Christmas presents, so those you who have already bought the book could donate $60 or more and then give the book to someone else.

• Parity
      December 4, 2013, 1:11 pm

I found out from the receipt for my donation that my address is already known from the credit card information.

• Rusty Pipes
      December 4, 2013, 1:57 pm

Or Goliath would make good Hanukkah presents — but act today.

11. German Lefty
    December 4, 2013, 3:47 pm

I consider making a donation. What’s the best way for a non-US resident to make a donation? I have never sent money to a non-German account. Also, I don’t have a credit card. However, I could create a PayPal account. Is PayPal safe? What would be the fees? Advice please.

• NickJOCW
      December 5, 2013, 8:15 am

@German Lefty. I live in Spain and use PayPal extensively. It’s owned by eBay. I’ve never had any problems. They don’t normally charge the payer fees but if you use a Euro account to pay in another currency they determine the exchange rate. They do however let you know what it is before you need press the final button. I don’t know how they set the rate but it’s approximately .025% on the median daily exchange rate. Since they would debit your Euro account in Euros, your bank shouldn’t make a charge. I think the Tinypass people process the PayPal donations anyway and log your email details in their records. It is like you are paying Tinypass rather than MW direct. I find them somewhat insidious but that may be just my age!

• German Lefty
        December 5, 2013, 10:51 am

Thanks, NickJOCW. I just created a PayPal account. Tomorrow, I will transfer some money to that account and then try to make the donation.

12. American
    December 4, 2013, 6:29 pm

I will make another donation if you promised to cut that tiny pass thing off.
    I donated on that when you started it and then realized when I got the confirmation it was for only $5 one time and not $60 for $5 for each 12 months so I then donated the regular yearly subscription on the regular donation button. But Tiny Pass still pops up everywhere I go!
    Also, my amazon Goliath came yesterday so if I elected to receive this one could I have it sent to someone else?