Israeli settlers set mosque on fire as UN says settler attacks have quadrupled in last 8 years

Arson attack on Palestinian mosque in West Bank. (Photo: Rabbis for Human Rights)

Haaretz reports on the latest Israeli “price tag” attack against Palestinians:

Vandals set fire to a mosque early Wednesday morning in the Palestinian village Deir Istiya in the northern West Bank, in a suspected hate crime by Jewish vandals. Light damage was caused to the door of the mosque as the fire did not spread.

Palestinian residents report graffiti sprayed on the mosque with the messages: “Arabs out, “Hi from Qusra’ and “Revenge for spilled blood in Qusra.”

The attack would seem to be in response to the incident last week when Palestinians in the West Bank village of Qusra thwarted an attack and took the invading settlers captive for a couple hours.

The Independent reports that according to figures from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs the rate of settler attacks on Palestinians have quadrupled in the last eights year, “buttressing claims that Israeli security forces have largely failed to stem the so-called “price tag” campaign.” The UN reports there have been a total of 2,100 price tag attacks since 2006 with yearly totals up from 115 in 2006 to 399 in 2013.

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. oldgeezer
    January 15, 2014, 3:45 pm

The terminology needs to be changed particularly within the MSM. They aren’t settler or price tag attacks.

They are Israeli terrorist attacks.

• seafoid
      January 15, 2014, 5:31 pm

They are Jewish terror attacks . Even worse. Israelis include Palestinians.

• oldgeezer
      January 15, 2014, 5:59 pm

You want to say Jewish Israeli then fine I guess as the settlers are Jewish. But first and foremost they are Israeli by nationality, the IDF occupies the area and should be preventing them, the nation controls the territory and should be prosecuting to the fullest extent of the law (as if).

• Inanna
        January 15, 2014, 8:59 pm

oldgeezer you are making the mistake of not differentiating between the oppressor and the oppressed. If you don’t like how the oppressed (like Hamas) react against the systematic violence of the oppressor, that’s fine. But please don’t equate it with the actions of the oppressor.

• just
        January 15, 2014, 9:07 pm

A salient point indeed, Innana.

• oldgeezer
        January 15, 2014, 9:07 pm

No I’m not. I agree Palestinians have greater leeway in fighting for their freedom than the oppressor does in protecting themselves in perpetuating the oppression. I made no equation other than to point out I don’t believe in blaming actions of specific people on larger groups.

Please ,other than respond to what I write and not what you make up with things not said.

• just
        January 15, 2014, 10:53 pm

oldgeezer– I do appreciate your stance.

However, being PC with a particular “group” that holds up their religion rather than their politics really makes being “PC” kind of outmoded. If I write that I am anti – Zionism, I am readily assailed for being anti- Semitic, anti- Jew (ish). and others urge me to SHHHHHHHHHHHH TFU!.

I never brought up the “Jewish people” as a problem (you might even be amazed if you knew my “story”), but it is an all too familiar defense mechanism by some Zionists against any conversation about peace. justice and fairness wrt to the P/I “issue”. If I support the Palestinians rights, I am quickly adjudged an anti- semite.

Why?

• Inanna
        January 15, 2014, 11:30 pm

There wasn’t any need to make anything up. You equated Hamas and other terror groups with Israeli terror. You also seem to be confused about the sectarian/secular divide. Hamas and its members are also Palestinian by nationality just as Jews are Israeli by nationality. Think about what that does to your response to seafoid.

• puppies
        January 16, 2014, 12:50 am

@oldgeezer – If by “terror” you mean terrorism, well then it is a universal technique. Without practicing terrorism, resistance against the Nazi occupation wasn’t going anywhere –just as much in fact as any liberation movement, including your recently canonized Saint Mandela, who as long as he lived made no bones about what was needed.
        Then, how can you pretend to guess what that other guy is saying? If seafoid says Jewish attacks, he is absolutely right. There are two sides in the ongoing war in Palestine and thereabouts, remember? On the one side the “Jewish state” and its supporting population which is by necessity “Jewish”, whatever that means in their sick minds. On the other side, the Palestinians who can be of any religion or ethnicity, including not little non-Arabs (and a very few are Jewish Palestinians, of whom a few Arabs). OK so far? So as it was “Whites” in South Africa, and no it never meant any caucasians from anywhere else, it is “Jews” in Palestine. It is not Israelians, as that does not tell us anything. If you want to clear the collective name of “Jews”, be my guest. The easiest way to achieve that is to dismantle the racial supremacist Zionist state, not to take potshots at people’s language.

• oldgeezer
        January 16, 2014, 9:41 am

@just
        “However, being PC with a particular “group” that holds up their religion rather than their politics really makes being “PC” kind of outmoded. ”

I’m not trying to be pc but I am trying to be fair. I am simply not comfortable with blaming Jews as Jews are much more than Israeli Jews. As with terror perpetrated by any other group. I’m not prepared to use a universal label for a subgroup. That you are prepared to do so is fine. I’m not trying to change you.

@Inanna
        “There wasn’t any need to make anything up. You equated Hamas and other terror groups with Israeli terror.”

No I didn’t. I used another example where I was prepared to blame a world wide community for the actions of a subgroup. At no time did I equate or compare the terror undertaken by either side, whether is was right or wrong, better or worse.

I’m sorry you can’t comprehend this. Perhaps it would have been more apparent to you if I specified a group not involved in the middle east conflict.

@puppies
        “On the one side the “Jewish state” and its supporting population which is by necessity “Jewish”,”

Agreed that terrorism is both a universal and historical reality. It’s been practiced for thousands of years.

I have no problems with the labels that you may wish to use. I have no intention of changing mine.
        ” The easiest way to achieve that is to dismantle the racial supremacist Zionist state, not to take potshots at people’s language.”

I confess to the opening shot but it’s a group effort taking potshots at mine since I don’t adhere to what you are comfortable with or prefer. As it’s the Jewish state with the support of it’s Jewish population then why not specifically blame the state or the Jewish people in the state. Jewish Israeli’s are a subset of the state. Jewish people in the world are not.

Regardless I won’t change the language I use. It’s not incorrect and it’s more specific than a broad brush.

Have a great day.

• Annie Robbins
        January 16, 2014, 10:35 am

i think we’re getting bogged down with terminology. let’s start here:

first and foremost they are Israeli by nationality

not really, and i doubt even they would self identify as such. in fact the israeli supreme court recently claimed their was no ‘israeli’ nationality. check this out:

According to a senior officer in Israel’s Central Command a price tag attack is a ”religious terror attack,”

link to mondoweiss.net

and what religion might that be? i think it’s perfectly valid to call ‘settler’ attacks, “jewish terror attacks” because that is what they are. these are jewish religious zealots. it doesn’t mean all jews are terrorist. check out the ‘jewish fundamentalism’ tag at link to coteret.com (and scroll a few pages) these are religious nutjobs. the state that empowers them, not so much.

i think it might behoove you to differentiate between the project of colonialism and expansion plus the way those in power utilize jewish religious terrorists to facilitate their objective vs and the resistance to oppression and acts of resistance to occupation and theft/expansion/oppression.

and i’d be wary of comparing or identifying jewish terror as analogous to islamic terror, the main reason being jews and being jewish, by their own self identification, is not necessarily a religious designation whereas ‘islamic’, like ‘christian’ generally is. jewish is an ethnic identifier that includes both religious and secular. whereas islamic terror is specifically religious.

and because of that i’d classify both secular and religious terror attacks carried out for the purpose of zionist colonial expansion or religious/greater israel/land of israel or whichever classification that falls into as jewish terror. whereas palestinian resistance to that is not, for the most part, ‘islamic’ terror.

islamic terror is the salafists, AQ variety. and they’re more aligned w/the religious-jewish/jewish fundamentalist (settler) types. religiously motivated.

but colonial expansion/terror (zionist or not) and the resistance to it is not religious. that’s primarily what’s going on in israel/palestine conflict and the state uses their religious zealots-citizens, shoves them out front to facilitate those expansionist goals to empower zionist expansion. obviously they could reel them in if they wanted to. they don’t for a reason. it would probably cause a (jewish) civil war. anyway, it is jewish terror and zionist terror is also jewish terror (unless it’s being carried out independently by christian zionists). it doesn’t mean all jews are terrorists.

and these are my own opinions, i am not speaking for the site.

• oldgeezer
        January 16, 2014, 5:38 pm

I don’t understand why I only get a reply button to some posts but not others. If anyone cares to explain…

This is to Annie Robbins below my last post.
        “i think we’re getting bogged down with terminology. let’s start here:”

No kidding!

“in fact the israeli supreme court recently claimed their was no ‘israeli’ nationality. :

I’m well aware of that decision. The fact that an apartheid state comes up with a decision which enforces apartheid division doesn’t sway me.

“i think it might behoove you to differentiate between the project of colonialism”

Behoove away. I do differentiate between the two. Show me any place I didn’t make the distinction.

“i’d be wary of comparing or identifying jewish terror as analogous to islamic terror”

I never made a comparison. In fact I explicitly stated that those who resist oppression have a greater leeway in actions than the oppressors.

“i think it might behoove you to differentiate between the project of colonialism ”

Yadda yadda… I never compared and never failed to differentiate.

In short… This is my last post and while I was going to post a link on facebook to like minded friends who like me are pro-Palestinian and anti-Israeli I will now decline to do so.

The degree of group think required here is asinine. I will go back to reading and let you fret over your little petty issues on your own.

• seafoid
        January 16, 2014, 12:52 am

“Just imagine a few Israeli houses bulldozed for terrorism. Dismantling the settlements would be accomplished in no time.”

It’s nice to imagine so but it’s not realistic. It is very hard to change a system when a lot of people benefit from it. And far too many Israelis benefit from YESHA. That is the problem. It’s much bigger than demolishing a few houses. That might have worked in august 1967 but it’s way too late now when 1 in 10 Israeli Jews is a settler.

They can’t do anything because they know it’ll lead to a schism within Judaism. Their memes are the problem.

And Judaism isn’t some lofty intellectual concept benignly watching over all of this and seeing that it is good while smiting wrongdoers. It’s deeply implicated in the whole mess.

This is really serious shit.

• oldgeezer
        January 16, 2014, 9:43 am

“They can’t do anything because they know it’ll lead to a schism within Judaism. ”

Oh I know they can’t do that. I was being sarcastic. Even if they could they wouldn’t as they reserve certain laws only for ‘the other’. They have no trouble oppressing Palestinians but no intent of holding themselves to the same standards.

• bintbiba
        January 16, 2014, 9:55 am

Thank you, seafoid.. I love Irish music, so heartbreakingly soulful!

• gamal
        January 16, 2014, 10:43 am

well more appropriately and a degree less soulful the Irish celebrate resistance to brutal settlers

• seafoid
        January 16, 2014, 10:52 am

Some of the fast Irish stuff is magical too.

It is real deep culture that connects down through the centuries
        and the complete opposite of hasbara and other similar modern bullshit.
        The Palestinians have that . I’m not sure the Israelis do .

• aiman
        January 16, 2014, 1:15 am

“I can’t agree with that. Anymore than I can I agree with Hamas (replace with favourite/least favourite group) terror attacks are Islamic terror.”

It wouldn’t be accurate even then. Hamas terror attacks can be called Muslim terror attacks but not Islamic terror attacks. Islamic terror attacks is the same as Judaic terror attacks, not the same as Jewish terror attacks.

“Muslim” and “Jewish” have to do with actions of individuals. The Muslim equivalent of a “Zionist” would be the “Islamist” (an inadequate term to begin with) going to fight in Syria and Afghanistan just as non-Israeli Zionists enlist in the IDF.

2. just
    January 15, 2014, 5:10 pm

Hellfire, the IOF/ Israeli government/Moshe Ya’alon enable these attacks, protect the settlers, and nothing is done to prosecute either of the terrorist groups. What happened when the “settlers” were “picked on” in Qusra was that the eternal victimhood lament (by Kahane’s odious, terrorist grandson) went out that the terrorist, illegal settlers were not allowed proper weapons……..so that they are allowed to kill/destroy/thieve at will.

In the US, should such a crime be committed against a Synagogue, can you imagine the fury, the media coverage, the hunting down of the perpetrators? From Israel? *deafening silence*.

3. Kate
    January 15, 2014, 5:15 pm

That hits home more than usual. Deir Istiya, a lovely village with great people, was one of the ones I stayed in when I was with the ISM years ago. Alhamdulillah the fire did not spread.
    link to palestineremembered.com

• just
      January 15, 2014, 7:09 pm

Thanks Kate.

That picture is incredible and beautiful. THAT is how a lovely village looks in my mind and my memory. Not at all like the ugliness brought by the settlers and the Israeli government(s).

• Taxi
      January 16, 2014, 11:20 am

Thanks for your beautiful picture, Kate. I walk terrain like this everyday here in south Lebanon. Very similar views from my farmhouse too. Palestine, Lebanon, Syria: it’s all the Levant really and the Levant is truly old world and it’s earth is scented and uniquely beautiful.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: the bulldozing and uglification of the Holy Land by euro settlers is a crime against humanity and humanity’s heritage.

4. Kathleen
    January 15, 2014, 6:53 pm

“The Independent reports that according to figures from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs the rate of settler attacks on Palestinians have quadrupled in the last eights year, “buttressing claims that Israeli security forces have largely failed to stem the so-called “price tag” campaign.” The UN reports there have been a total of 2,100 price tag attacks since 2006 with yearly totals up from 115 in 2006 to 399 in 2013.”

Rachel Maddow will not be giving this a minute on her program. But if this were about Israeli places of worship being attacked those so called progressives on MSNBC would more than likely give it a minute

• just
      January 15, 2014, 7:04 pm

It would be the lede, and they’d likely give it a good 15 minutes, if not more………then they would liken it to hate crimes against “acceptable groups”. Not a whisper in support of Palestinians or Muslims or Africans anywhere, etc.

• seafoid
      January 16, 2014, 12:54 am

Kathleen

Maddow won’t but the Presbyterians have had enough.
      It’ll percolate up to the elites when they can no longer deny what’s going on.

5. Inanna
    January 15, 2014, 9:05 pm

If boycotting a country or making an arm gesture are considered so very terrible, then just how should setting fire to a place of worship and painting bigoted graffiti be viewed?

I somehow think that on the hasbara moral continuum, the last is considered far less terrible than the first two.

• just
      January 15, 2014, 9:28 pm

Nodding my head in vociferous agreement here, Inanna.

I promise that a change is gonna come. I have had enough of the hypocrisy of it all. There has not been justice for the innocent & Occupied. Since the end of WW2, there has only been a sickness that punishes innocents for being survivors of the “other” holocaust that continues unabated and aided by the complicit “West”.

• Sumud
      January 15, 2014, 9:49 pm

Of course it is.

They objected to Palestinian terrorism (which is reasonable), and when Palestinians rejected violence and switched to BDS they try to prohibit that too with screams of anti-semitism and pushing the jews into the sea etc.

Lesson: there is no form of resistance that zionists will accept. They are for the most part unreasonable, thus, best ignored.

We have zionists here who are supposedly in favour of a 2 state solution, but when you ask how it is going to come into existence they have NO answers. They are opposed to BDS of course.

• oldgeezer
        January 15, 2014, 10:15 pm

The recurring theme lately is that they favour a 2 state solution and Jordan is the second state. Even those that see the West Bank and/or Gaze as a 2nd state deny it the rights normally entitled to by states.

In short the zionist who claim to support a 2 state solution appear to be redefining the terms of their own objectives. They don’t support what the world sees as a 2 state solution.

• seafoid
        January 16, 2014, 12:56 am

They say the price tag people are extremists and it pushes them on further. That is how Sharon made it to the top. After you kill 20,000 people you become a national treasure.
        They are in such a dangerous place.

• amigo
        January 16, 2014, 7:33 am

Seafoid, a glimpse into an Irish Zionist mind.

“Sir, – Ariel Sharon was not the bloodthirsty tyrant suggested (Denis Staunton, Opinion, January 13th). He was the personification of ancient Israel. He might well have stepped straight out of the pages of the Book of Judges, a warrior hero raised up to defend Israel and deliver peace to the land. – Yours, etc,

ENA KEYE,

Wasdale Park,

Terenure, Dublin 6.

“http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/evaluating-ariel-sharon-1.1656343

• seafoid
        January 16, 2014, 9:27 am

Amigo

I don’t believe there are many Zionists in Ireland.
        They do their best but I think it’s very hard ground for them.

• amigo
        January 16, 2014, 10:12 am

Reply to seafoid.(no reply button).

“I don’t believe there are many Zionists in Ireland.
        They do their best but I think it’s very hard ground for them.” seafoid.

Can,t be too hard.Our Justice/Defense Minister –Allan Shatter is a self professed unapologetic Zionist who openly defends Israel and is spending Irish Taxpayers money to purchase weapons from Israel.

I mean, a Zionist holding the reins of two of our most important ministries.

So much for zionists touting Ireland as being a den of antisemitic Jew haters.

• American
        January 18, 2014, 11:07 am

“”He was the personification of ancient Israel. He might well have stepped straight out of the pages of the Book of Judges, a warrior hero raised up to defend Israel and deliver peace to the land. – Yours, etc,>>>>

Typical cult mythologizing the legends of the cult.

• jon s
        January 16, 2014, 2:08 pm

The ongoing settler attacks are another good reason to support the two state solution, as I do. It doesn’t make much sense to condemn the settlers while not supporting two states.

• Woody Tanaka
        January 16, 2014, 5:34 pm

“The ongoing settler attacks are another good reason to support the two state solution, as I do. ”

So tell us, this “two states” that you support, would that include an equal division of the land between the Med and the Jordan, with each state controlling its borders, water resources, airspace, electromagnetic spectrum, without restriction on either as far as foreign affairs, defense and military (up to and including whether it wishes to develop nuclear weapons)

Or is it some Judeo-supremacist 2 “state” solution in which there is 1 Jewish state and one concentration camp for non-Jews?

• just
        January 16, 2014, 7:19 pm

I will condemn the settlers 24/7 and forever– 2 states, 1 state, red state, blue state. Forever. They are terrorists, thieves, and criminal vandals.

I will condemn the Israeli government for their support and enabling of same.

Same goes for the US government’s enabling……………

This reminds me of seafoid’s reference to the Star-Bellied Sneetches…many thanks to seafoid for that indelible cornerstone.

• talknic
        January 16, 2014, 10:00 pm

jon s “The ongoing settler attacks are another good reason to support the two state solution, as I do”

To support the the two state solution, as you do, requires one to ignore International Law, the UN Charter and relative conventions & Israel’s obligations to them, while the Palestinians forgo their LEGAL rights under them.

The ongoing settler attacks are a ‘good reason’ for demanding Israel send them and all other Israeli citizens illegally in non-Israeli territory back to Israel, withdraw from all non-Israeli territories, pay rightful compensation for all its illegal facts on the ground.

• Djinn
        January 16, 2014, 11:20 pm

Really depends on what you mean by 2 states. If you mean the Israeli envisioned 2 state solution I’d ask why you think ongoing settler terrorism is a good reason to support something that will reward colonisation and brutality by allowing Israel to keep much of the land it has illegally acquired since proclaiming itself?

• puppies
        January 17, 2014, 5:19 pm

@jon s – Where is the logic? Two separate states are one solution provided all settlers go back, but a single state on the whole territory that would apply civilized laws, try war criminals and jail the settler varmint is just as good a solution to control settler colonialism.

• MahaneYehude1
        January 16, 2014, 4:47 pm

Sumud;

We have Zionists here who are supposedly in favor of a 2 state solution, but when you ask how it is going to come into existence they have NO answers. They are opposed to BDS of course.

No, we have good answers, the problem is that you don’t like our answers since they don’t fit to your ideology.

• Sumud
        January 18, 2014, 10:26 am

Well start talking then! How do you propose to bring 2 states into existence?

I’m after concrete, achievable steps – not just vague statements and magical thinking.