Hundreds of Israeli soldiers raid Hebron as West Bank crackdown enters second week

Israel/Palestine
on 13 Comments

As the largest military operation in the West Bank in a decade enters its second week, Israel raided H2, the area of Hebron under Israeli security control, for the first time since the second Intifada. Overnight 200 soldiers were deployed to arrest eight Palestinians, including five from one family. In the process seven others were hospitalized after sustaining injuries inflicted by the Israeli army. Huda Bassam al-Jaberi was treated with ten stiches after a soldier stabbed her in the hand. The Israeli raids on the West Bank come following the believed abduction of three Israeli youths hitchhiking in the Gush Etzion settlement bloc.

The arrests began after midnight near the Rajbi building, an impressive four-story structure taken over by settlers earlier this year after a blessing from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The settlers originally moved in backed in 2008, but were evicted by a court order. After Netanyahu encouraged them to again claim the site which links the settlements of Kiryat Arba and Hebron, the court never objected.

Awake in the middle of the night, Palestinian activist Badia Dwaik heard the arrests in progress and walked toward the Rajbi building. “I decided to go inside to find out what is the situation, to go more deep than most people,” said Dwaik who filmed the incident from 200 meters away. The recording is rough. The night scene on the street is dark, but the audio picks up soldiers explaining the arrests began after settlers assaulted Palestinians. Also Dwaik edits in his trip to the hospital later that same night.

While watching the incursion by the Rajbi building, soldiers fired a sound grenade at Dwaik, prompting him to flee. Dwaik said four soldiers followed him as he walked away. One pointed a gun at him and the others beat him, Dwaik said. “They threatened if I do not leave they will shoot me.” The soldiers then grabbed Dwaik’s camera and threw it on the ground.

Dwaik posted this message on Facebook this morning re-capping the incident:

When we arrived at Al-Ras area, where is located Al-Rajabi building, which has been occupied again by settlers, soldiers prevented me to access the site to document the attacks against residents, where it was being perpetrated a campaign of incursions, home searches, and arrests, by some 200 occupier soldiers. When I advanced, they threw stun grenades near me, then a group of masked soldiers chased me, attacked me and hit me, then broken the camera on the floor, and pushed me out from place, where the attacks against residents continue until morning.

Since the manhunt for the three Israelis kidnapped began on June 13th a massive campaign of arrests have taken place across the West Bank with air strikes in Gaza. Over 500 have been arrested with 144 placed under administrative detention (arrest without charge), according to the Palestinian prisoner rights group Addameer. In Hebron where the search has centered, the Israeli Defense Forces have erected 10 new checkpoints and stationed over 2,000 additional soldiers. Areas in the north of the city have been declared closed military zones and in the south and western districts, hundreds of soldiers patrol the streets by day.

About Allison Deger

Allison Deger is the Assistant Editor of Mondoweiss.net. Follow her on twitter at @allissoncd.

Other posts by .


Posted In:

13 Responses

  1. Annie Robbins
    June 27, 2014, 10:50 am

    The recording is rough. The night scene on the street is dark, but the audio picks up soldiers explaining the arrests began after settlers assaulted Palestinians.

    settlers must be having a field day

  2. a blah chick
    June 27, 2014, 11:24 am

    “…the audio picks up soldiers explaining the arrests began after settlers assaulted Palestinians.”

    One of our resident hasbarists really needs to explain that one.

  3. Justpassingby
    June 27, 2014, 11:37 am

    Puppet abbas could go directly to icc, but now instead he support israel in their attack on the palestinian people.

  4. Jackdaw
    June 27, 2014, 12:32 pm

    Alternate title: “Hundreds of Israeli soldiers raid Hebron as search for three kidnapped boys enters second week”.

    • Woody Tanaka
      June 27, 2014, 1:10 pm

      “Alternate title: ‘Hundreds of Israeli soldiers raid Hebron as search for three kidnapped boys enters second week’.”

      LMAO. Except for the fact that (1) there is no evidence that they have been kidnapped, (2) they’re not “boys,” and (3)the uniformed terrorists of the Israeli regime are commiting serial war crimes and crimes against humanity in Occupied Palestine. (“Crackdown” is too tame. “Pogrom” is probably most accurate, although Czar Benji might not approve.)

    • Annie Robbins
      June 27, 2014, 1:22 pm

      alleged kidnapping, still no evidence http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/israel-identifies-suspects-alleged-kidnapping-24318192

      besides, the goi just announced yesterday they were there on a manhunt for more palestinians. they already abducted over 500. they are trying to abduct they same amount they traded for shalit. definitely NOT honest brokers.

  5. Justpassingby
    June 27, 2014, 12:47 pm

    Alternate nick for you: Ziobot.

  6. Tzombo
    June 27, 2014, 1:30 pm

    The actual evidence is still non-existent: “The two suspects named have not been directly associated with the crime in any way. They merely disappeared the same day as the kidnapping.” (http://www.richardsilverstein.com/2014/06/27/hebron-kidnapping-dont-believe-the-lies/)

    So based on this ‘evidence’, I conclude that 2 Palestinians were probably kidnapped by 3 Israeli settler teens. About as likely.

  7. a blah chick
    June 27, 2014, 6:52 pm

    “They threatened if I do not leave they will shoot me.” The soldiers then grabbed Dwaik’s camera and threw it on the ground.”

    And if they’d shot him the soldiers would have said it was self defense.

  8. HarryLaw
    June 28, 2014, 5:10 am

    Anyone protesting the Israeli excesses in the clampdown in the West Bank, which includes 99.9% of commentators and 100% of reporters on the Mondoweiss site are ‘Terrorists in every sense of the word’ Lieberman http://news.antiwar.com/2014/06/27/israels-lieberman-protesters-against-west-bank-offensive-terrorists/

    • HarryLaw
      June 28, 2014, 5:34 am

      Dear Mr P Weiss, re the above, in view of the numbers involved of terrorists and terrorist supporters on this site, my advice is to close the site down in case Herr Lieberman instructs Eric Holder to prosecute all those involved, not including myself of course because I live in the UK.

      • MHughes976
        June 28, 2014, 9:38 am

        I don’t think we’re that immune, Harry.

  9. HarryLaw
    June 28, 2014, 7:51 am

    Not very charitable of me on my thousandth comment, to advise the site be shut down, but all said in jest, I am thankful to the editors for letting me indulge my views over the years and hope Mondoweiss continues to inform and influence the world on this most important subject, which must be resolved before we can hope for any peace in the world.

Leave a Reply