Israeli army enacts curfew near Nablus and raids eight major West Bank cities

Israeli soldiers conducting arrests raids in Hebron, 18 June 2014. (Photo: Quds News Network)

In a major escalation of force not seen since the Second Intifada, tonight Israeli military vehicles are inside cities across the West Bank, and the army has enacted a curfew in a Nablus area town.

The raids come in the aftermath of the abduction of three Israeli youths last Thursday. At the time of publication, Israeli army vehicles are inside of Hebron, Ramallah, Nablus, Jenin, Bethlehem, East Jerusalem, Qalqilya and Salfit. The army is also in the towns of al-Bireh (Ramallah district), Jalazone refugee camp (Ramallah district) Azzun (near Qalqilya), Abud (Ramallah district), Khibata, Beit Fajr (Bethlehem district) (Ramallah District) and Tel (Nablus district). The only population center in the West Bank that does not have Israeli soldiers patrolling and carrying out arrests is in the resort city of Jericho, the first municipality declared under the control of the Palestinian Authority.

In Ramallah, the seat of the Palestinian government, Israeli soldiers have taken control of the streets. Vehicles are currently patrolling several neighborhoods including Tira, Hizba and Surdah, which is near the presidential compound. In addition, the army is raiding the TV station Al Aqsa News, and the station’s manager was arrested the previous evening.

In Hebron, the army is entering homes in door-to-door searches in the western part of the city. Local media is reporting live fire and explosions in the center of town. Shops have also been broken into with the Israeli Defense Forces confiscating surveillance footage.

Israeli army patrolling Ramallah near the presidential compound. (Photo: Ma'an News Agency)

Israeli army patrolling Ramallah near the presidential compound. (Photo: Ma’an News Agency)

Last night, Issa Amro, an activist with Youth Against Settlements, reported that the army entered the Hebron area Ministry of Interior building and confiscated a population registry for the city. The army has been inside of Hebron, the West Bank’s largest city, since Friday afternoon.

An Israeli army commander has said the overnight incursions underway will be bigger than Operation “Defensive Shield” in Jenin in 2002,  Ma’an News Agency reported. All of the arrests reported during the raids underway were of individuals released during the 2011 prisoner exchange.

Tali Shapiro and Mohammed Othman contributed to this report. Tali is an activist with the Boycott from Within and the International Solidarity Movement (ISM) and Mohammed is a human rights activist.

1. Rusty Pipes
    June 17, 2014, 8:49 pm

Until we have further proof related to the disappearance of these three teenagers, please do not call it an abduction.

• just
      June 17, 2014, 9:07 pm

I agree, Rusty. I think that ‘disappearance’ works much better. I would also add ‘suspicious’ to ‘disappearance’.

I hope that they are safe, and that the truth is known very soon. 5 days for the most intelligence- savvy, most moral, most democratic state to find the ‘disappeared’ teens seems cockeyed. IOF, Shin bet, Mossad, IAF, etc. all dedicate themselves to being superior/indespensible to everyone else on the planet.

Cui bono?

Israel is committing full- fledged war crimes, including collective punishment, on the Palestinians.

Basta!

• MTd2
        June 18, 2014, 9:26 am

During the military dictatorships in my country, Brazil, there were several black flag operations to convince the people that the armed popular opposition also target civilians. The most famous case was when a bomb exploded in the hands of a sergeant, when he was installing a bomb in a civilian car.

link to pt.wikipedia.org

Maybe this kidnapping was also a black flag operation. This is why they are not finding anyone.

• Justpassingby
      June 18, 2014, 3:34 am

Exactly, would be interesting if they themselves are hiding etc.

• Accentitude
        June 18, 2014, 6:19 am

Even so, Israel, namely Netanyahu, would still provide “justification” for having done what they have done to the WB.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        June 18, 2014, 9:58 am

My suspicion is that the Israeli authorities know exactly what happened to these students, and have known it right from the start.

• Annie Robbins
      June 18, 2014, 3:40 am

The teens’ kidnapping allowed the leadership in Jerusalem do what they were thinking of doing anyway.

….It should be clear to both the citizens of Israel and the Palestinians in the West Bank that the operation against Hamas, which spread overnight to Nablus, the nearby refugee camps and the Bethlehem area, was not meant to bring the kidnapped teens’ release, but to thwart a Hamas takeover of the Palestinian Authority and the PLO.

link to ynetnews.com

• Giles
      June 18, 2014, 7:34 am

Is it not clear this was a long planned operation by Israel to push the Palestinians off land in the W Bank Israel wants for herself?

There is no way the disappearance of three teens should result in this kind of re-action,

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        June 18, 2014, 8:37 am

They’re no longer even really pretending this is about ‘finding the boys’.

”Army Radio described the operation as a “root canal”; unnamed officers have told reporters that it could continue even after the teenagers are found.”

A ‘root canal’? What an idiotic and sick analogy. Could you imagine if Palestinians used a similar term to refer to arrests and exile of Israelis? We’d have articles all over the press full of mock outrage about anti-semitism.

link to aljazeera.com

link to english.al-akhbar.com

• Rusty Pipes
        June 18, 2014, 3:30 pm

A “root canal?” Only when Bibi is played by Steve Martin, singing “You’ll Be a Dentist.”

• Stephen Shenfield
        June 18, 2014, 11:04 am

I agree that this operation must have been planned well in advance. “In the aftermath of” does not mean “in reaction to” — they were just waiting for (perhaps creating) a pretext. As usual, they chose a time when international attention is focused elsewhere, on Iraq and Ukraine.

• ritzl
        June 18, 2014, 11:36 am

And the global press coverage of the disappearance was universal, immediate, and simultaneous.

That coverage isn’t an organic phenomenon given such a small initial issue in a tiny country where, as MDM has said, disappearances probably happen as not-uncommon criminal conduct in a society of 8M people. Even if it was noticed from 10,000 miles away AND deemed important enough for the nightly network news, it just wouldn’t have been reported in so many places all at once.

This all stinks of a setup.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        June 18, 2014, 12:42 pm

I agree. Of course, we all know that the international media worries much more about a settler breaking his fingernail than they do about the deaths of Palestinians, but still, it all seems a bit too much.

That Netanyhu immediately said he KNEW that the settlers had been kidnapped by the Khamas reminds me of how he said that he KNEW the Bulgaria bus bombing was the work of Hizballah even as bodies were still being carried away from the scene. There is, of course, no way he could possibly KNOW in either scenario, and the fact that he lost no time in broadcasting his ‘knowledge’ to the world indicates strongly that he was/is less interested in truth than in painting a narrative convenient to his political requirements.

Any Israeli who’s not entirely brainwashed should be asking themselves, if Bibi instantly KNEW that Hamas kidnapped the students, then why, nearly a week on, has there been no claim of responsibility? No ransom demand? No developments in the ‘search’, despite locking down the WB and the fact that Bibi supposedly ‘knows’ who took the students?

Fortunately for Bibi, however, most Israelis are indoctrinated and will ask no questions.

• LeaNder
      June 18, 2014, 10:08 am

Rusty, the problem is, no matter what happened whatever we see can be interpreted according to our suspicion. I noticed but did not follow the debate.

My choice is: It did happen. Aesthetic choice: Since the other option robs Palestinians of agency.

Basis for suspicion: There no doubt was a degree of escalation for longer now. It would be ideal for Israel, if they could force Palestinians to give up non-violent ways. Would allow Israel to return to older well established patterns, both inside and outside, “mediawise”. Look we have been threatened since the very, very start. How can you seriously expect us to leave? We would long have been out of here. If we do the space it being taken over by terrorists. Imagine all the footage media companies have in their archives to point out a certain continuity of the Palestinian threat. And no doubt this could be such a scenario. Theoretically. And after all there were two killed teens to cover up. No doubt there were some odd. The kids phoning to tell they are being kidnapped?

Counter argument. The authoritarian mindset has lately been challenged by prisoners confronting them with the only free choice left. The death of the two teens was connected with that event. The last remnant of free will: The choice to die. A last resort that no doubt contains media danger. Could one or the other mainstream journalists start looking into the larger context of Israeli detainment of prisoners? No doubt a danger scenario that has to be controlled.

Now we have another provocation showing the world the limits of Israeli power and control. Wouldn’t it be perfect to find the guys and perpetrators soon? Reduce the space of possible Palestinian resistance still further? Erase the last remnants of it? Show the world Israeli prowess?

Excursus: I admittedly occasionally felt Schadenfreude confronted with at least one kidnapped victim of the German Bader-Meinhoff group. I cannot deny I feel a bit of support for whoever could be behind this. Have you planned this well? If this were a soccer game I would be on the Palestinian side. I hope you planned this well, guys.

Could you imagine that a scenario like this is planned to show the world Israeli prowess? Something like they will play this “game” for a while and then come up with the teens and their kidnappers? I don’t think so. So far events look like self-justifying routine.

I told you we shouldn’t release these guys. Let’s arrest them again.

That is an event in which the army does standard police work. Simply with much more authority then police would have.

• ritzl
        June 18, 2014, 11:39 am

Great comment, LeaNder. For people like me that are predisposed to jump to conclusions, it’s good to remember to work through this as you are. The outcome may be different, but the process is important, imho.

• LeaNder
        June 18, 2014, 1:49 pm

thanks, ritzl, I noticed you before:

tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
        We’re finally on our own.
        This summer I hear the drumming,
        Four dead in Ohio.

familiar?

I couldn’t help, but when I read your profile

It was the ’70s, Kent State, and we were supposed to be FOR civil rights.

“Ohio” was on my mind.

• ritzl
        June 18, 2014, 4:28 pm

Yep, LeaNder. CSN&Y once concluded a concert with “Ohio” and we all walked out to the Dunbar Hall parking lot (where most of the dead and wounded fell) for a candlelight vigil. I remember chit-chatting with Russell Means of the American Indian Movement (took part in the Wounded Knee action) about his cause and the relationship between activism, protest, and the importance of solidarity. I personally knew most of the Kent wounded, and their varying degrees of, and approaches to, anger. I was friends with a girl who’s brother was in the National Guard unit that turned and shot (she never spoke of her family conversations, which was to her great credit and itself a poignant lesson in making assumptions about the dynamics and universality of protest).

Kent was just that kind of a symbol and cauldron of activism back then. I whiffed tear gas protesting the destruction of the site and got an eye-opener (I was a very naive everyone-I-know-thinks-this-way-so-EVERYONE-must-think-this-way, 20) when a police officer said to us taunters that he would shoot again in a heartbeat.

It was all a very beneficial, clarifying experience. The only thing I can’t explain well is why, within all that context, Israel was different. Hormones probably had something to do with it, but ultimately the power of the facts absorbed through the filter of doing right, prevailed.

There were many like me. I don’t know how that environment is recreated today, or how it’s created in the modern context (I get the feeling that activism isn’t as “cool” as it once was, but maybe it’s “cool” in a different way.). It was all so personal and live back then. That’s why Medea Benjamin/Code Pink are such heroes to me. Not only are they fighting injustice at every turn, but they’re also fighting the trend.

I think you’ve asked me this before. Sorry for not responding, but my story is pretty unremarkable other than that it was a personal and durable life-lesson.

• LeaNder
        June 18, 2014, 6:30 pm

ritzl:

No, replay interface below your comment. Thus it seems I have to answer to myself to get somewhere close.

I was wondering if I did. Occasionally I am meditating over a comment and finally decide to not post it. ;) I like the song, its a memorial of the event. And yes, I prefer the CSN&Y version too. I am not such a big Young fan although he wrote it.

Yes, I can identify with that completely. Emotionally the Palestinians had no chance at that point. The worlds empathy was on the side of Israel. Absolutely no doubt.

On the other hand I may have blocked attempts by people to educate me on the issue occasionally. I remember odd comments by an Irish friend in London. It feels he tried, but ran against a solid defensive wall I had erected. A friend with Palestinian background here in Cologne told me more than a decade ago by now, you never asked. Apparently others, obviously his wife, did. A family story not so easy to “digest” either.

• Abierno
        June 18, 2014, 11:40 am

I’d like to suggest a broader view on the limits of Israeli power: Netanyahu and his allies have painted themselves into a nasty corner,
        as a result of their Iran-o-centric foreign policy. While they have been
        stirring the pot in Iran, making wildly defamatory speeches in the UN, surreptitiously aiding Al Nusra in Syria and beating the drums for a no
        fly zone – they have forgotten that the majority of the 11.6 million Palestinians (East Jerusalem, West Bank, Gaza, diaspora – many in refugee camps) are Sunni! Thus with the emergence of the elusive
        Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, commandant of ISIS, but more important for
        Israel – champion of Islamists and Sunnis. His armies are a union of
        the disaffected – Baathists, tribal leaders, and Sunni in Iraq. He now
        holds large swatches of Syria and Iraq and is moving on Baghdad. His cause is exceptionally well funded owing to “liberating” the banks of
        Mosul of several billion dollars as well as controlling considerable oil wealth. He has moved slowly, with great stealth in building his alliances. He too endorses a brutal, bloody version of the Dahiya doctrine as we have seen in the massacres of Iraqi soldiers. This PhD
        former Sunni cleric is exceptional in his knowledge and execution of asymmetrical warfare, against which more technologically sophisticated countries are vulnerable. His enemies – Assad in Syria, Iran, Hezbollah
        – all entities whom Netanyahu has demonized, bombed or threatened
        to bomb. Netanyahu’s foreign policy has the unenviable result of making mortal enemies of both sides of this conflict. Furthermore,
        he has millions of disaffected Sunni Palestinians living under belligerent occupation, who like the Baathists and Sunni in Iraq would have no difficulty in choosing sides between ISIS and Israel. Under these circumstances, is it not surprising that Netanyahu went “crazy”
        when ISIS pamphlets showed up in Hebron?

• LeaNder
        June 18, 2014, 11:41 am

I would like to add something.

I use aesthetic choice for layers below knowledge, below available facts.

And this has to do with the etymology of the word Aesthetic:
        <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetics#EtymologyAesthetic – Etymology

the verb it is based on, or means this, if we look at the verb: aisthanomai, meaning “I perceive, feel, sense

I have no idea how to explain it on a purely rational layer, but to simply turn around the other side’s argument–Oren: Palliwood–feels misguided to me. Since it is simply a mirroring of what is done, without knowing, why exactly and what its origins are.

Would it make sense to base your assessment on psychops? Simply mirror them?

This is a much larger problem. It is pretty apparent on a much larger scale in “the conflict”.

And notice, I do not say it is impossible that these three kids are not kidnapped at all. But the rest is guesswork. Just don’t get into the other side’s tricks it feels.

Without doubt, the Palestinians cannot check if the three teens are safely at home.

2. a blah chick
    June 17, 2014, 9:01 pm

“Shops have also been broken into with the Israeli Defense Forces confiscating surveillance footage.”

That’s not all they’re taking.

“All of the arrests reported during the raids underway were of individuals released during the 2011 prisoner exchange.”

Proof that Israel is incapable of keeping promises.

3. alfa
    June 18, 2014, 12:53 am

It’s theater, the missing men are a diversion. What they are doing now has been discussed and prepared for some time, just recall the rhetoric of the fascists and fanatics during the last couple months, follow the actions, close to seamless. Speculating about the cover story is worthless.

To illustrate Annie’s point, they are rounding up all the “released” prisoners.

• Abierno
      June 18, 2014, 2:43 am

Is this the well planned annexation of the West Bank – timed while US and Europe are otherwise occupied with Syria , Iraq, and Ukraine? Are there not at least 10 bills in Knesset being read to annex West Bank?

• Annie Robbins
        June 18, 2014, 10:07 am

Is this the well planned annexation of the West Bank

from our first ‘missing ‘ thread: link to mondoweiss.net

if it’s not the annexation, one could perceive it as a military exercise, a test run. as the world passively stands by lamenting the lost boys. still no evidence presented.

• ritzl
        June 18, 2014, 11:47 am

Good call, Annie. Thanks for the link.

• Walid
      June 18, 2014, 3:18 am

So far, they have re-arrested 65 prisoners of the group of prisoners released in the Shalit exchange. I wonder if he is now safely tucked away in France or if he is still living in Israel.

• Woody Tanaka
        June 18, 2014, 10:00 am

Well, where ever Shalit is, he’d better have his head on a swivel. Now that Netanyahoo has reneged on the deal, his former hosts would be well within their rights to re-capture him, return him to his POW status. I would also imagine that any promise they made not to futher harm or kill him would be null and void, so he has that to worry about if they aren’t able to re-capture him.

• just
        June 18, 2014, 11:39 am

As he is a ‘sports reporter’, he’s probably in Brazil.

4. RebuildingAll
    June 18, 2014, 1:56 am

Stay safe, Allison. Thank you and your colleagues for this important coverage.

5. Eva Smagacz
    June 18, 2014, 3:05 am

I read in one of Israeli newspapers that hitch hiking continues unabated in West Bank.

• Accentitude
      June 18, 2014, 6:17 am

Its part of Israeli culture. This circumstance won’t change that.

• just
      June 18, 2014, 6:25 am

“Report: Israel to provide secure transport for settlers

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — Israeli settlements in the West Bank have considered temporary solutions to prevent more kidnapping incidents, Israel’s Maariv newspaper reported Tuesday.

They have asked settlers not to hitchhike on main roads, and to stay inside the settlements waiting for a ride if public transportation were available.

Many settlers still hitchhike on main roads in the West Bank after the kidnapping of three teenagers last week, which increases chances of attacks by Palestinians posing as settlers, Maariv reported. ”

link to maannews.net

“increases chances of attacks by Palestinians posing as settlers, Maariv reported.”

Yeah, Palestinians always pose as “settlers”!!!!!!! You seriously cannot make this stuff up. So incredibly twisted/insane/orwellian.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        June 18, 2014, 7:17 am

I know! The blatant racism of it is sickening.

So it seems that hitchhiking is ‘part of the culture’ for settlers in the OPT. That means that either Palestinians show remarkable restraint in not seeking to ‘kidnap’ settlers strolling around the country, or that it is not, in fact, all that easy to ‘kidnap’ Israelis in the OPT. Are we supposed to think that it never occurred to those dumb Pallies to kidnap a squatter…. until now?

And how exactly do you ‘pose as a settler’? Grow a beard, wear a kippah and affect a Brooklyn accent?

• just
        June 18, 2014, 7:43 am

I have no earthly idea MDM. When I read that, my jaw dropped.

• piotr
        June 18, 2014, 9:32 am

All of that is feasible, but it would be an enormous preparation for a very unspectacular action. It would be simpler to plant an IED at the hitchhiking spot, and Israeli reprisals tend to be smaller after fatalities than after “kidnapping”.

• just
        June 18, 2014, 7:30 am

“Many of the Israelis living beyond the Green Line commute to for school or work every day. There are buses that serve the area, but they are infrequent. All ages are represented here, but it’s especially the youth who commute by hitchhiking – either from bus stops or special hitchhiking posts.

“My mother is worried about hitchhiking but I told her I’m more nervous about crossing the highway here than accepting a ride,” Noa Divo, 18, told The Media Line as she waited for a ride. “Most people stop to offer rides and it’s really a good way of life. Of course my first reaction to the kidnapping was fear, but it’s much more convenient than the buses and it saves money.”

There were fewer hitchhikers than usual, but those who continued said it was too much a part of their lives to quit.

“Hitchhiking is simply part of the fabric of life here,” Davidi Perl, the mayor of the bloc’s 20,000 residents told The Media Line. “There are buses to Jerusalem but no buses between the communities. If you want to get from one to the other you have to hitchhike or walk.”

Perl says his own children frequently hitchhike. His 16-year-old son carries tear gas with him whenever he travels to Jerusalem and his sons in the army have their army-issued arms. But children as young as 12 or 13 who can be seen trying to get a ride would be unable to defend themselves if attacked.”

The article in full: link to ynetnews.com

These settlers are completely unhinged, not to mention illegal. Solution: get out and unsettle the settlements. Get a car and move inside the Green line. End the Occupation. Elect a sane government.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        June 18, 2014, 7:46 am

So ”children as young as 12 or 13” hitchhike in the OPT? Wow. As I said above, that proves that Palestinians are either very restrained, or that ‘kidnapping’ a settler really isn’t very easy. Which in turn suggests that if, as we are being told, these were 3 ‘innocent children’ simply hitching a life home from school – at ten at night – then whoever supposedly kidnapped them must have been pretty clever. But not clever enough, it would seem, to ensure that his victim didn’t call the police after being captured.

Oh, and what sort of parents let their kids hitchhike in a war zone? The same sort of parents who choose to raise their kids in such a place, I suppose.

Then there’s the crucial fact which is being overlooked in the trite ‘kidnapping’ narrative – the burned out car with ISRAELI plates. But of course, only bad Arabs kidnap innocent Jewish children, don’t they?

• Bumblebye
        June 18, 2014, 10:24 am

Beyond reading that the Palestinians were kept away from this burnt out car once it was found, we have heard diddly-squat about it. How often are burnt out cars with Israeli number plates left lying around the West Bank? What forensics have been/are being carried out? Who was its owner, and has he been rigorously questioned?
        We know damn well that an element among the settler population uses their cars as weapons against the Palestinians. We’ve read the stories of men, women, children and even donkeys being targeted. Wouldn’t a panicked settler be capable of making the ‘aborted’ phone call after the act, to cause others in authority to think the youths had been kidnapped rather than killed by himself? He would probably know the Israeli police are about as sharp as a chocolate button. And then it all plays into the hands of a Nutter who craves to punish the Palestinians for the humiliation of the recent ‘piece’ process.

• piotr
        June 18, 2014, 9:25 am

The settlers may be completely unhinged, but this merely shows that they rationally expect to be safe because of savage reprisals that IDF makes anytime something happens to a settler. And since these reprisals give a lot of satisfaction to settlers (and Israeli public at large) the risk is worth it.

Last week settlers in Yitzhar slashed tires of a trailer used by the military because they are protesting “occupation” of a yeshiva building. From A to Z the story reads like a report from a fictional country where population consists the insane and the stupid. Arutz Sheva, Israel National News, gives the fullest story in English. But the background of a sector of the settlers that is actively hostile to the authorities, and particularly to police, explains why the police dismissed the famous phone call as a prank. For all we know, they had a lot of prank calls already.

• adele
        June 18, 2014, 10:17 am

What I don’t understand about this incident is why Israel is putting the blame on Palestinians for the boys’ kidnapping, couldn’t it just as well be that the boys were abducted by another settler?
        At this point no one knows what has happened, only those who carried out this act (and no one puts it beyond Israel to have fabricated it or to exploit the incident).

6. Naftush
    June 18, 2014, 3:22 am

No, it’s decreased quite a bit.

7. Justpassingby
    June 18, 2014, 3:32 am

Maybe Israel holding them themselves?

8. Daniel Rich
    June 18, 2014, 5:53 am

First Bibi warns the world not to recognize the Hamas/Palestinian terror unity government.

Then Bibi warns the world Hamas is a real terror organization.

The Bibi tells the world Hamas abducted 3 kids…

Do I see a pattern here?

9. Accentitude
    June 18, 2014, 6:13 am

I can only comment on the situation in Ramallah as that is primarily my stomping ground. During these days (since the news broke regarding the 3 settlers), stark differences in Ramallah between day and night are frightening. Ramallah during the day is business a usual. Between the Beit El Settlement & Al Bireh (outskirts of Ramallah city), Palestinian Presidential Guards line the streets as usual; within the city of Ramallah, PA security forces & military police are posted in their usual areas; blue cops conducting routine traffic control, MPs posted every few blocks or so. But at night…none of them are anywhere to be seen. This is where the coordination between the Palestinian and Israeli security forces is obvious. Just before the Israelis entered downtown Ramallah (which they only do at night), PA security jeeps and vans were quickly picking up posted MPs and returning them to their barracks so that they would not have any contact at all with the Israelis, as if someone called up the Ministry of Interior and said, “Get your boys off the street. We’re coming in” and I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how its done. No one is protecting the Palestinian civilian population or looking out for their rights or questioning Israeli raids and arrests in the heart of Area A, certainly not the PA nor its various security forces. IDF says jump, PA MPs ask “how high?”

• just
      June 18, 2014, 6:58 am

Thanks for your observations, Accentitude.

Positively chilling– stay safe.

• adele
      June 18, 2014, 10:27 am

And that in a nutshell Accentitude is the issue with the Oslo agreement and the elite Palestinian class it created. All form and no substance.

• Shingo
        June 18, 2014, 6:54 pm

Going back to British empire, the secret to successful occupation is maintaining a privileged and corrupt elite they can contract to maintain the occupation. That’s why there are fancy cars and cages in Ramallah whe parts of the West Bank have worse poverty than even Gaza.

And that’s why Abbas keeps stonewalling on the ICC. The minute he signs off on it, his lifestyle would collapse.

• adele
        June 18, 2014, 7:00 pm

A precarious situation all around. The sun eventually set on the British Empire.

10. Kay24
    June 18, 2014, 8:17 am

It feels like Bibi was just waiting for an opportunity to wage unholy war on Hamas, and collectively punish all Palestinians. Bibi may have overreacted to the kidnapping, or simply being an opportunist, seized on this mysterious disappearance of these kids, to make all Palestinians feel just how powerful the occupiers are, and how US made weapons can feel.

If only Bibi showed some concern or outrage, that one of his terrorists shot and killed unarmed kids, as they walked around their town, we could all be impressed by him, and considered him credible. He is just as honest as a pickpocket.

• a blah chick
      June 18, 2014, 8:40 am

I used to think that he was just an empty suit, another rich kid who’d had his path to power greased by daddy and the kingmakers. Now I see what a truly dangerous demagogue he is. He interjects himself into emotionally charged situations and instead of being statemanslike and cooling tempers he just aids fuel to the fire. He did the dame thing after the Fogel family was killed. Add on the that the fact that he is a moral and physical coward. If these guys are found dead I see a major pogrom erupting.

• Kay24
        June 18, 2014, 10:16 am

He is indeed a disturbed man. No credible leader or statesman would stand in front of the entire world, hold up a cartoon bomb, and attack another country, predicting doomsday scenarios, and war monger, and risk looking a fool. He is indeed a coward, and often reacts violently against the Palestinians, even minor offenses, and completely ignores, or never condemns the brutal murders, kidnappings, and harassment of civilians by his armed forces and the illegal settlers. The recent Nakba anniversary murders of two kids, did not result in Bibi condemning this brutal act, apologize for the brutal act, or reacting violently like he is doing right now. Yes, he is quite the drama queen too, when it comes to the Israeli people, but can be ruthless, indifferent, and cold hearted, when it comes to Palestinians, even little kids. He has done a lot of damage, when it comes to Israel’s image, AND the rest of the world disliking it.

• jenin
      June 18, 2014, 8:42 am

I agree. I’m less inclined to think the Israeli government did this, and more inclined to think they just couldn’t wait for something like this to happen.

I can’t believe anyone would ever think the measures Israel is taking is acceptable. Imagine if three Palestinian kids went missing and the idf imposed collectively punitive measures on the settlers and searched everyone’s home. It’s unthinkable. But of course the poor Palestinians have no rights and have to put up with anything and everything

• seafoid
        June 18, 2014, 9:43 am

The whole country thinks Likud when something like this happens. They are so paranoid and their Jewish morality goes out the window .

It’s like a white woman has been raped in antebellum Georgia and the mob has to round up a few n####s to sate the lust for revenge. Because the last thing that would do is a justice system.

• just
        June 18, 2014, 9:46 am

Exactly.

Sort of like US blood lust after 9/11……..

• seafoid
        June 18, 2014, 10:02 am

Page 7- of this link – GWTW by Hilton Als
        It’s a fabulous article

link to media.johnwiley.com.au

“America’s obsession with n*ggers, both black and white”

Israel’s obsession with Palestinian n*ggers is possibly even worse

• just
        June 18, 2014, 10:16 am

I have read Als before, but never that essay.

Powerful and “fabulous”, as you wrote. Many thanks.

11. seafoid
    June 18, 2014, 9:55 am

link to haaretz.com

“It seems once again that Israel understands nothing but violence. What does that say about us? This response of ours — which ranges between “They deserve it” and “They are all terrorists,” to “I am following orders” and “I did not know what was going on” — says more about us than it does about them.
    Despite the enormous and inspiring success of Breaking the Silence (an NGO that collects testimony from soldiers who’ve served in the West Bank), our own total silence is still the loudest thing around us. We are willing to go out of our minds over one odd and troublesome Pollard, a lone kidnap victim or three kidnap victims, but we are incapable of understanding the suffering of a whole society, its cry, and the future of an entire nation that has been kidnapped by us. “

12. seafoid
    June 18, 2014, 10:10 am

Ha’aretz is such a joke

ISRAEL NEWS
    West Bank kidnapping
    World Cup 2014
    Gay Pride

The love the gays but they despise straight Palestinians. And they watch soccer to switch off . Palestinians can’t ever switch off, of course.

13. seafoid
    June 18, 2014, 10:39 am

Burston is saying psalms for the 3 kids but we really should say them for the people of Israel, who are still in bondage under Zionism

Psalm 121: “I shall raise my eyes to the mountains, from where will my help come?”
    Answer : Mondo

Psalm 130: “From the depths I have called You, O Lord.”
    Answer – buy a hearing aid

And Psalm 20: “May the Lord answer you on a day of distress … These trust in chariots and these in horses, but we mention the name of the Lord our God.”
    Answer- drop the IDF chariots and get back to Jewish morality

Psalm 143, “… do not come to judgment with Your servant, for no living being will be innocent before You. For an enemy pursued my soul; he crushed my soul to the earth; he has made me dwell in dark places like those who are long dead. And my spirit enwrapped itself upon me; within me my heart is appalled.”

Answer – the ICC is fine

Psalm 142, composed by David, it begins “when he was in the cave.”
    “They have hidden a snare for me,” it continues, “Looking to the right, I see that no one recognizes me; escape is lost from me; no one seeks my soul.”
    “Hearken to my cry for I have become very low; save me from my pursuers for they have overpowered me. Take my soul out of confinement to give thanks to Your name.”

Answer- Join BDS

14. Talkback
    June 18, 2014, 10:43 am

Three Jews vanish – let’s punish Gentiles collectively … The perversion of Zionism in a nutshell.

15. ritzl
    June 18, 2014, 11:26 am

“Annexation” – Act III…

Does anyone believe the IDF is ever going to pull out of these “Area A” cities? Completely or at all?

Even though the disappearance of these kids gives them some current, covering international empathy for annexation, when that’s gone in a year the WB will still be annexed in all but legal name.

And, ffs, why doesn’t Israel just ask for surveillance footage? What a sick society.

16. a blah chick
    June 18, 2014, 11:54 am

Concerning this burnt car, the Israelis are saying it was stolen and it may or may not be involved in the disappearances. An article on the Guardian website says some of the people arrested are involved in the car business, either renting or repairing them. One Israeli source is claiming that the plan was to drive the guys to Gaza or Jordan. No, do not ask me how that would be done.

So, why burn a car? I can think of only two reasons other than accidental fire: insurance fraud or destroying evidence.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      June 18, 2014, 3:16 pm

”An article on the Guardian website says some of the people arrested are involved in the car business, either renting or repairing them.”

Given that hundreds have been arrested, it’s not that surprising.

”One Israeli source is claiming that the plan was to drive the guys to Gaza or Jordan. No, do not ask me how that would be done.”

I heard this claim made within hours of the ‘kidnapping’ story making the news. It is indeed laughable. You’re going to smuggle 3 young men in the boot of a car past one of the most heavily patrolled borders in the world? With the – of course – Arab kidnapper sweet talking his way past Israeli border guards, while pretending to be Israeli and having no passport?

Do they really think we’re THAT stupid?

Genuine question: Has a single Israeli Jew been arrested in this ‘search’?

• a blah chick
        June 18, 2014, 6:06 pm

“Do they really think we’re THAT stupid?”

Yes, yes they do.

BTW thanks for mentioning those Israelis who sat out to watch the “fireworks” over Gaza on another thread. Thanks to you I didn’t have to.

17. Walid
    June 18, 2014, 12:00 pm

“… reported that the army entered the Hebron area Ministry of Interior building and confiscated a population registry for the city.

Exactly as they did back in 2002 when they confiscated all the academic records of Palestinians and confiscated the computers at the Ministry of Education and what they didn’t cart off, they smashed. They also confiscated all the civil registries of births, death, business registrations, records of deeds and so on all over the West Bank. In spite of all the viciousness thrown at them and the thousands of attempts at vanishing them, the Palestinians survived back then and they will continue to survive.

• a blah chick
      June 18, 2014, 6:02 pm

Walid, don’t you know that when there is a kidnapping here in the states the first thing the FBI wants is the census rolls of the local community!

18. Citizen
    June 18, 2014, 1:10 pm

In search for teens, Israel arrests 240 Palestinians, including 51 released in Shalit deal link to jta.org

19. fayez chergui
    June 18, 2014, 3:41 pm

They are not Israeli Defence Force but israeli barbarian forces

20. LuLu
    June 18, 2014, 3:55 pm

I hope to God they find these boys.. No offence but I do not believe any word that comes out of the Israeli Govt. They have a history on lying and plotting…

There is still no concrete evidence linking Hamas to the suspected abduction – but Israel’s political and military leadership is, nonetheless, talking about a sustained campaign to “break” the organization, and a prime minister, who seemed on the defensive just days ago, has suddenly found a political opportunity.

“We have an interest, a very clear interest, in differentiating between Hamas and Fatah, to do whatever we can to undo what has been done,” said Meir Elran, a senior researcher at the Institute for National Security Studies. “It is within the policy of the government to try to crush Hamas as much as possible.” (This is from Al Jazerra)

This is why America is not even paying attention because UNLESS there is CONCRETE proof that it was Hamas or any Palestinian than they would break any financial support for the PA and the unity Govt.

Hamas HAS NOTHING to gain by doing this.. Your country is one of the most advanced intelligence and there were soldiers in the area, you tell me Hamas is this intelligent to pull this off? Not even so… If they were, they would not be sitting ducks in Gaza or anywhere else.

I do not see Hamas or anyone doing this besides the Netenyahoo Government. Hamas would NEVER EVER jeopardize the Unity.The PA will not break it’s unity Govt.

I am not taking sides here, but the entire agenda with Bibi is to destroy the PA Unity Govt., maybe someone needs to educate him how to appear and what to say instead of making it so obvious this is all political driven. He is the Israelis worst nightmare… Hamas is not in the cabinet in the PA Govt. they united because they have no choice… The bigger Arab countries run everything know..

• a blah chick
      June 18, 2014, 6:10 pm

“No offence but I do not believe any word that comes out of the Israeli Govt.”

Don’t sweat it, LuLu, all governments lie.

As for the missing youths, I hope they’re found alive too. Their parents might be settlers and represent everything I hate but I would not wish their pain on anyone.

21. crone
    June 18, 2014, 5:02 pm

The following is a comment made on another forum… I post it here because I have asked myself some of these same questions (without the expletives of course)

Question: Is all of this shit in Iraq/the ME being done to benefit the apartheid genocidal state of Israel who BTW right now is imposing curfew and basically invading the West Bank on a scale not seen since the Second Intifada.

Note: what a fucking coincidence once again for Israel, huh? That while the world is dealing with ISIS – seemingly NASDAQ’s newest Exchange-Traded Fund – Israel is just quietly going about dismantling Hamas and the unity government. What timing. Why, who could have known that 3 teenagers would have been “kidnapped” just as ISIS was about to strike, right?

Continuing, I mean, as AIPAC is in the TOP TWO of the most powerful lobbies in the US – defense might edge them out maybe – isn’t it odd that we don’t hear a FUCKING WORD from any of the bought-off whores in the US Establishment about how ISIS might threaten – existentially, even – the plucky Israelis who make their US whores vote 535-0 on most anything even tangentially relating to that apartheid genocidal state?

Funny, I also remember hearing NARY A FUCKING WORD about any Israeli concerns when ISIS was running around Syria and fattening up their portfolio, huh? Sure, gatekeeping fraud Noam Chomsky kept reminding us that Israel was sitting the Syrian situation out just waiting to see if their favored outcome (again, NC’s opinion) – i.e., an Assad victory over the scary jihadists – was going to win out. Other than that it sure seems the apartheid genocidal state of Israel was awfully quiet. Now I’m sure they’re too busy with their “manhunt” to worry/opine about ISIS once again. Oh well.

Yesterday, ONE intrepid analyst FINALLY – yet softly – mentioned that hey maybe what we’re seeing in Iraq is kind of similar to the “Clean Break” and PNAC plans as laid out by the apartheid genocidal state of Israel and its American traitor whores. Of course, he didn’t mention the Yinon Plan but what the fuck can a rational person living in the US insane asylum expect.

Well, here’s another question: if we’re talking about/to all the war criminal neocons ONCE AGAIN – y’know, having them over for snacks and shit on TV and politely asking them just what a fucking murderous asshole’s perspective on the ISIS situation might be – shouldn’t we MAYBE be also asking them about their clique’s inherently Zionist Jewish origins and how a rational person who is conversant with the contents of the Yinon Plan, Clean Break and PNAC just MIGHT think it’s all so coincidental that we’re witnessing those Zionist/Israeli plans being made manifest before our very eyes?

To review:

1) the Yinon Plan, Clean Break and PNAC are all strategies created and adopted by Zionists that call for the partition/balkanization of the ME for the benefit of the apartheid genocidal state of Israel an outcome that seemingly has been pursued near CONTINUOUSLY and actively since the invasion of Iraq in 03 and which continues to this day.

2) the US Establishment has been entirely/blatantly in the thrall of the Israel and its lobbies for years meaning both parties – the whole gamut: neoconservative to neoliberals – have consistently placed the interests of Israel above that of the United States.

3)No one – nearly to a fucking person – who reports on ANYTHING relating to what we’re witnessing sees fit to print a fucking word about any of the above.

Seems about right. ”

——————–

And this comment followed:

“Interesting because also at the same time:

US Senate confirms ex-BoI head Stanley Fischer, two other nominees for Fed

The US Senate on Thursday confirmed Stanley Fischer to be vice chairman of the Federal Reserve and approved Jerome Powell and Lael Brainard as members of the central bank’s board, bolstering the Fed as it prepares to wind down its extraordinary stimulus.

So a guy who is a foreign (dual) citizen and a high official of a foreign government can become the second most powerful person in the US central bank. Fortunately, the ISIS thing happened so no one noticed”

22. Annie Robbins
    June 18, 2014, 5:39 pm

israel is attacking gaza right now. several gazans are tweeting about it.

check hashtag #GazaUnderAttack for more info.

23. just
    June 18, 2014, 5:44 pm

*&^%!

More collective punishment day 6/year 67. How can they endure it? How can the US not act?

24. james3
    June 18, 2014, 7:29 pm

Israel can trade 1,o27 Palestinian prisoners for 1 IDF corporal not so often, thus the tossing and turning of the inmates’ cells.

Three innocent teenagers, three essential lies; America defends justice, Israel is a democracy, heroes matter.

25. stevelaudig
    June 18, 2014, 9:35 pm

more zionist hostage taking.