Video: ‘CBS This Morning’ runs hard hitting spot on boycott of Israel

CBS This Morning ran a short but relatively informative segment on the boycott against Israel today. While covering the Rolling Stones performance in Tel Aviv last night, a CBS announcer started quoting Roger Waters and Nick Mason. Along with a clip from Pink Floyd’s iconic rock classic Another Brick in the Wall, with the sound track running through most of the segment these words were spoken:

But the historic concert might never have happened had fellow British rockers Pink Floyd convinced the Stones to join them in a boycott and build a cultural wall around Israel.

[soundtrack: All in all it’s just a nother brick in the wall]

Here he is addressing a United Nations committee in 2012:

We found that the state of Israel is guilty of a number of International Crimes.

Last month he and band mate Nick Mason told the Rolling Stones that they should boycott Israel just as the Stones boycotted South Africa during apartheid.

…..”Crossing the picket line provides propaganda that the Israeli government will use in its attempt to whitewash its unjust and racist regime,” they wrote.

I’m flabbergasted!

(Hat tip Jim Harris)

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. David Doppler
    June 5, 2014, 8:01 pm

“I’m flabbergasted!” At actual reporting going on at CBS?

Perhaps it is a measure of the relative noise made complaining about coverage that portrays Israel in “too favorable” a light, vs an “unfavorable” one. At some point, at the journalistic level, when the complaints even out, you just report the news. At the ownership level, perhaps more and more people who care for Israel realize that BDS is necessary to break the grip the right-wing has on the government in Israel, or have just become ambivalent about it, too much to actively interfere in journalism.

• MRW
      June 6, 2014, 6:38 pm

Or maybe the CBSers got an earful if they went back home for the Memorial Weekend before the parties start in the Hamptons. They would have heard the grumbling, and the genuine growing fatigue with that country.

2. a blah chick
    June 5, 2014, 8:03 pm

“Pink Floyd lead singer Roger Waters is a vocal opponent of what he believes is Israel’s illegal occupation of Palestine.”

What HE believes? They can never discuss this topic without using weasel words.

• thetruthhurts
      June 5, 2014, 11:22 pm

you got it wrong.
      you should’ve capitalized ” believes”, it was written as if to say that its not necessarily true, but just what waters believes to be true, and ofcourse, the intimation is that the writer doesn’t think its true

3. just
    June 5, 2014, 8:07 pm

Hooray! I’m thrilled! (and a bit flabbergasted)

More please.

• Annie Robbins
      June 6, 2014, 7:25 pm

OT, hey just (and everybody) i added the new #assaf360 video to the top of the draft. comments are now closed but you can see it here: link to mondoweiss.net

• just
        June 6, 2014, 7:39 pm

It’s so fantastic– the joy, the voice, the instruments!

And to think millions and millions will now have the privilege of hearing/seeing this amazing Palestinian ‘nightingale’, and hear the hope for justice of so many that he carries– always.

Shukran.

4. DaBakr
    June 5, 2014, 8:09 pm

“it might never have happened if….”

It also might never have happened if a pink-nosed fairy came down from outerspace in a light-tube and whispered in Keith Richards ear that he should conk Mick Jagger on the head with a coconut. But that didn’t happen either, did it…….

5. stopaipac
    June 5, 2014, 8:16 pm

having seen the actual report this morning it actually went a bit longer than this clip shows (perhaps edited to avoid copyright issues?) . the full report ended with something like “the Rolling Stones were not alone in crossing the line” and listing other entertainers that have also played or intend to play Israel. but this is responded to by someone saying that despite this, the boycott serves as a tool of education. despite its brevity and lack of informing viewers of the context (how much info can you get in 2 minutes?), it did and will inform some. and piss-off others.

6. stopaipac
    June 5, 2014, 8:17 pm

here is the full report.
    link to cbsnews.com

7. pabelmont
    June 5, 2014, 8:33 pm

Wonderful. And think of the flack they’ll take from the usual suspects! Wouldn’t it be great if someone challenged them on the “illegal” and they built up some references to ICJ and UNSC.

8. Blownaway
    June 5, 2014, 8:34 pm

Roger Waters was absolutely right as Mick and the boys were photographed at all the obligatory sights under heavy guard by armed thugs in dark glasses and military uniforms. It’s not rock n roll but blood money. Their late financial advisor sir lownestein would be proud, eh Mick?

9. Citizen
    June 5, 2014, 9:49 pm

Obviously, the Rolling Stones don’t care about anything except to peddle their music. They’ve never been anything but boys who remained so, peddling their childish rebellion–it’s just that now, they look ridiculous doing the same in the seventh decade of their lives.

• MRW
      June 6, 2014, 5:39 pm

Yep. The Stones only care about the money. Mick is famous for that. I remember when word was whispered by party hosts that he’s as tight as a condom. His longtime girlfriend was $9/10 million in debt. Killed herself because of it. Did he help her? Not a chance. And he’s worth over half a bill, at least that’s the public figure. I wouldn’t be surprised if he asked for double fees for the agita.

10. seafoid
    June 5, 2014, 11:10 pm

Wallahi.

Pink Floyd are most impressive for a rock band.

• thetruthhurts
      June 5, 2014, 11:27 pm

simply referring to roger waters now as a rocker is downright insulting. he’s a true international statesman, something america hasn’t had in politics in a long long long time!
      just weak, pitiful, bought and payed for traitorous puppets for israel.

11. John Salisbury
    June 6, 2014, 2:47 am

Truly sad that they don’t acknowledge the suffering of Palestinian people.Bob Dylan ,Leonard Cohen and Paul McCartney(tho he played in West Bank as well apparently)
    They have lost their moral compass somehow….I die a little upon reflection.

12. ritzl
    June 6, 2014, 4:12 am

Maybe OT, but has anyone seen any reports on whether WB Palestinians were able to attend the Stones concert?

Something like a less-produced, more ‘newsy’ version of this one from Madonna’s concert?:

13. Ron Edwards
    June 6, 2014, 9:53 am

I don’t agree with the optimistic analysis. I think the whole clip is a cunning and unfortunately effective pro-Zionist precision strike. Waters and BDS are being demonized. “Another Brick in the Wall Part 2″ is a serious icon of oppression in U.S. pop culture, probably much more familiar and meaningful to it than any real-world wall (Berlin, U.S.-Mexico), and I think there is zero viewer connection between the song and the real Zionist wall. Instead, it’s cleverly used here to depict Israel as the walled-in victim and to depict Waters as the wall-building hypocrite. The only dubious good thing is that the boycott is mentioned at all, and I suspect only because the designers of the ‘news’ clip think it’s a devil-word, the slam-dunk to depict Waters as a crazy-man and to laud the Stones’ concert in Israel.

• jenin
      June 6, 2014, 11:33 am

I tend to agree with you. It seems especially true given how they portrayed Waters’ approach as trying to culturally “wall-in” Israel, as though he is the bad guy trying to isolate Israel from the rest of the world

• Citizen
        June 6, 2014, 4:20 pm

Me too.

14. broadside
    June 6, 2014, 9:53 am

Anybody know what Gilmour’s stand on all this was? Was he asked to lend his voice by Waters and Mason?

Now there’s a Floyd reunion!

15. Pixel
    June 6, 2014, 12:00 pm

When i think about it from the perspective of “putting myself in my own shoes,” I think it’s significant.

I ask myself what my reaction to it would be if I watched TV, if I watched CNN, if I had seen this story, and if I was generally clueless about the situation in Palestine …because my activism was instead focused on a completely different issue.

It wouldn’t hit me like a thunderbolt but I would find it interesting enough to give it some thought, as in “What could these two geriatric powerhouses possibly care enough about (politically, internationally) to publicly argue about – especially on an issue that wasn’t even on my radar?”

It would catch my attention, albeit for a nanosecond. If I ever saw / heard more about the issue – especially a growing public debate, I would become intrigued. When it was more common I’d really sit up and take notice.

Until then, it would float to the bottom of my consciousness where it would lie dormant — but not dead.

Then, again, maybe it would strike a stronger note because i would already have read with interest Conflict bubbles behind the controversy at sodastream’s factory at The Verge.com

16. Pixel
    June 6, 2014, 12:06 pm

oops, forgot the “/” in my

17. asherpat
    June 7, 2014, 3:55 pm

We don’t need no education (from an anti-Semitic symbol-flying performer),
    We don’t need no thought-control (from a closed-mind obsessive one-issue campaigner)
    No dark sarcasm of half-truths, lies and innuendoes
    Roger leave our (the only free in thee Middle East) state alone.
    Hey Roger, leave Israel alone,
    All and all you’re justa, misguided and obsessive fool.
    All and all you’re justa, misguided and obsessive fool.