Video: Gaza forces young Jew to overcome ‘giant hostile ferocious backlash’ of her community

Carey Wedler is an anti-corporatist and anti-war California writer who gained notoriety for burning her Obama t-shirt because he’s a “war criminal”. Now it turns out she’s been censoring her own thoughts the whole time. Gaza has forced her to look into Israel’s history and come out as a “self-hating Jew” in her latest video.

Wedler uses the Israeli flag to great effect in the video, and says that because it bore a Star of David, “It was associated with me and that meant it had to be good, because I could not fathom that the Jewish people… could do anything bad, and if they did they must have had a justification for it.”

Once she started speaking out about war–

I always avoided looking into the Israel-Palestinian conflict because I didn’t want to have to accept that Israel could be doing something wrong. But in light of the recent conflict in Gaza, I had to start looking at the facts and I had to start doing research. And when I came up with questions and started asking Jews and others who support Israel what they thought about what I had researched and all of the facts I presented, I was met with some pretty extreme hostility and the truth is is that I’ve been afraid to say anything because of the giant hostile horrible ferocious backlash that I have gotten from people who oppose what I have to say. But I can’t stop now, because it is my duty to ask questions. As it is everyone’s duty to ask questions.

Segregation and discrimination are built into Israeli society. Torture of children is routine. In reviewing Zionist history, she notes the murder of Lord Moyne and the destruction of Palestinian villages and “forced expulsion of innocent people from their land.”

She asks a question I love:

Thanks to Henry Norr and Scott Roth.

1. eGuard
    August 16, 2014, 2:37 pm

Why would it matter that she is Jewish? Had she been not, or had it been omitted from the video, would her argument be different?

• Justpassingby
      August 16, 2014, 4:05 pm

She is looking from it from a jewish perspective so of course it matter. Dont you agree?

Wedler uses the Israeli flag to great effect in the video, and says that because it bore a Star of David, “It was associated with me and that meant it had to be good, because I could not fathom that the Jewish people… could do anything bad, and if they did they must have had a justification for it.”

• German Lefty
        August 17, 2014, 6:09 pm

“I could not fathom that the Jewish people… could do anything bad, and if they did they must have had a justification for it.”

I just read this article:
        How To Talk to a 10-Year-Old About Gaza

Worse, people accuse Israel of a genocide. That hits home. My immediate reaction is to completely and utterly reject any possibility of truth. No Jew would or could ever do anything so horrible. A holocaust is the anti-jew.

• Pixel
        August 18, 2014, 12:40 pm

The quote you chose is exactly the one that I would have included here.

“…genocide. That hits home.”

While “intellectuals” parse out the formal meaning of these words and whether they should be used or not if they don’t conform to dictionary specifics, they completely miss the power of the words and why people, these days, are intentionally choosing to use them – the words grab people by the collar and yank. For far too many that’s what it seems to take.

The author goes on to say, “While I do not believe that Israel in any way intends to wipe out the Palestinian people,…”

I could not disagree more, and I have no patience with Zionists having co-opted words that were never theirs to co-opt in the first place. Two examples among many:

Genocide™
        Holocaust™

• Pixel
        August 18, 2014, 12:57 pm

Did I forget to say that I LOVE young people!

• Annie Robbins
      August 16, 2014, 4:07 pm

the video tells her story. is not limited to ‘her argument’. yes, it would have been completely different because she tells her story thru the kinds of responses she’s gotten when she questioned what was going on. and a lot of those responses were accusations of her being a self hating jew.

it’s her story eguard. you can’t un-jewish her and why would you want to? plus, lots of people come to this ‘issue’, for lack of a better word, with no baggage. with no pre conceived notion of history or what’s going on. that is not the case for lots of people raised in jewish households. so her story, specifically the quote in the 2nd paragraph above, ” “It was associated with me and that meant it had to be good,…” is relevant to her.

do you have any other problems with the video?

• eGuard
        August 17, 2014, 8:46 pm

Annie: other problems? Me?

Somehow you answered my questions. But maybe not as you intended to. (I saw her Obama shirt burning vid first. In there, she did not have or need any Jewish background).

Jews are not the only ones who have to receive shoutings of anti-Semitism. But I guess, were the video not this Jewish, it would not be here.

• Annie Robbins
        August 17, 2014, 9:26 pm

But I guess, were the video not this Jewish, it would not be here.

you mean like like this video: link to mondoweiss.net

? we have other examples if you need them. if it’s a good video and pertains to our interests we’d run it.

Jews are not the only ones who have to receive shoutings of anti-Semitism.

so make a friggin video eGuard. no one is stopping you.

maybe you should get your news from a website that doesn’t promote itself from being “chiefly from a progressive Jewish perspective”if you’d like ‘jewish-free’ discourse. what matters, or should matter, wrt this self made video, is that it matters to her. whether you think it matters one iota, lots of jews have a hard time grappling w/this issue. so we always welcome signs of positive change.

i have repeatedly stated over the years (and got in a big online fight about it once w/jerry slater) that it’s more important for non jews to speak out because there are more of us, of course. but i don’t resent anyone telling where they are coming from on this issue regardless of their background.

and wrt the obama video, and i would imagine all her other videos, she didn’t mention it, probably because, unlike this issue, her viewpoint was not impacted by her ethnicity so it was not relevant to her.

p.s. and when i think it’s relevant to what i have to say, i mention my upbringing, family history, or that i am not jewish. sometimes it informs the topic, other (most) times, it doesn’t.

and check out Cenk Uygur question to max around 4:20 in this video wrt relevancy, and his answer, as well as 19 min, very relevant. and max’s @ 22min answer “jewish american’s have been raised on humane values that they can’t tolerate…”:

August 18, 2014, 12:28 pm

eGaurd, see the “about” page.

• Giles
      August 16, 2014, 7:17 pm

This type of thinking needs to end.

• MRW
        August 18, 2014, 3:21 am

@Giles

The underlying premise we are all supposed to accept is that Jewish opinions on matter relating to Israel should carry more weight. This type of thinking needs to end.

It will. Because that shit does need to end. Everyone’s tired of it and the anti-semitism baseball bat ruining people’s lives, reputations, and careers. Chosenness needs to be chastened.

• Pretext
      August 16, 2014, 10:09 pm

Her “argument” is much greater than her observations about the conflict itself, it’s bearing witness to the backlash when she questions the tribal narrative.

It’s showing the courage to bear that backlash to place humanist values over tribalism. It’s critical, independent thought that deserves to be recognized.

You could argue that she’s not “special” because MW, JVP, and others have many great members and contributors who have gone before her. It matters because it incrementally buttresses an alternate narrative in young Judaism – that Jewish people can, do, and should ask questions about what Zionism does in their names.

In a perfect world, it shouldn’t matter. In this world, it matters a great deal.

• tree
      August 17, 2014, 1:18 am

…I could not fathom that the Jewish people… could do anything bad, and if they did they must have had a justification for it.

This is the crux of the problem for many American Jews (and even for some American gentiles). There is this bigoted assumption that Jews are morally superior to every other group of human beings in that they alone are incapable of doing anything bad unless there is a very compelling justification for such behavior. Carey was able to finally overcome that biased assumption, but many American Jews still cling to that sense of moral superiority and think of it as the essence of their identity. If you attempt to take that away from them by confronting them with the truth, they react irrationally and with hostility because their sense of identity is all wrapped up with the idea that being Jewish imparts some higher moral sense, and to negate that is perceived as negating their core identity.

• American
        August 17, 2014, 9:57 am

tree says:
        August 17, 2014 at 1:18 am

>>>>>>

That is the crux of the problem for the tribe. And it keeps getting passed down from generation to generation.
        I can’t understand it….anyone who believes there is any distinct ‘group’ of humans on earth who as a ‘group’ are eternal innocents, who have never done wrong and are morally superior to other humans, has to be crazy or engaged in cult thinking.
        The actions of the Jewish state should have busted that kind of thinking wide open long ago.

August 17, 2014, 11:47 am

The choice is not between being a Zionist Jew and not being a Jew. The Zionists to not own Judaism. Judaism as it has always been will be whatever we make it.
        Frankly, even if I was an atheist (which I’m not, by any means) I wouldn’t let Zionists chase me away from being Jewish. I’ll be damned if I give them that victory.

Maybe Jews can’t change the course of Israel, but we can if we want it take our religion back.

• just
        August 17, 2014, 11:51 am

precisely, Mooser!

August 17, 2014, 3:41 pm

Also, it just hit me, and I must modestly claim nobody else could have come up with this after hours of hard thinking. It would probably only take them a minute or two. If there’s 100 people in a Temple (we’ll use that as a shorthand for ‘identifying as Jewish’) and all of them support ZIonism, that’s 100%. If, say, 7 of them look into things, and become so repelled Zionism they leave, so there’s only 93 people left, all of whom support Zionism, and that is, indubitably, 100%! Over time another 13 people leave, leaving a mere 80 people, all of whom support Zionism. That’s still 100%. See how that works?
        In fact, that works until there’s nobody left. Unless, of course, a lot of Jew-counting is done, and that’s a bad thing, Jew counting, everybody knows that. It’s better to ask AIPAC, who will indeed tell you the truth, 100% of Jews who support Zionism support Zionism. Can’t argue with numbers.

• just
        August 17, 2014, 3:50 pm

And that’s why you’re Mooser– you’re absitively correct.

August 17, 2014, 4:14 pm

There are no exit polls in Judaism or Jewishness.

• seanmcbride
        August 17, 2014, 2:03 pm

Mooser,

The choice is not between being a Zionist Jew and not being a Jew. The Zionists to not own Judaism. Judaism as it has always been will be whatever we make it….

Ok — now I think I fully get your attitude towards Judaism — and it’s laudable. Now your job is to lead your brethren out of the wilderness. :) Don’t laugh: a Jewish leader may come along to do just that.

August 18, 2014, 12:40 pm

“Ok — now I think I fully get your attitude towards Judaism — and it’s laudable.”

Sean, have I ever claimed my attitudes toward Judaism are anything but laughable? But I’m glad you find them laughable, too.

2. MRW
    August 16, 2014, 2:44 pm

Made my day. Smart, clever use of the flags.

Carey, if you’re reading this, great job. Now look up Hostage’s archive here and use some of his historical links and make more of these videos interspersed with bits and pieces like this info (the way you did with Ben Gurion’s text and quote). Scroll down to “Section I. ‘The Constitution’.”

August 16, 2014, 5:05 pm

The idea of handling an Israeli flag totally gives me the willies. She’s braver than me, I’m not sure I could bring myself to touch one.

• German Lefty
        August 16, 2014, 6:04 pm

I’m not sure I could bring myself to touch one.

LOL. Same here.

• Stern Gang
        August 16, 2014, 7:09 pm

Well done! I hope the batty folks will put forth some stern and extraneous reprimands! All must stay in an orderly marching line where if one steps out of the rigidity of what it represents will be harshly labeled and chastised. People seem to not understand that the most pernicious force on this planet it human beings. Shall we debate the track record? Homo sapiens, even though they claim to be evolved, are nothing more than rabid animals who can’t get it straight. Sure there is the survival argument, but greed, in the western world trumps all other variables. We go from savage warfare to “pinpoint” accuracy ivasions. So what, it is all the same. If a population is treated like animals, they will respond in kind. I say f&c! you to America being the most aggressive nation on this planet. Don’t present certain standards and NOT uphold them in any shape, from or fashion.

3. Nevada Ned
    August 16, 2014, 3:31 pm

Good film, Carey!

I have to say I’m somewhat puzzled by the accusation of being a “self-hating Jew”.

When someone called up Saul Landau to hurl that accusation, Landau replied
    ” I don’t hate myself. But I hate YOU!”

August 16, 2014, 5:00 pm

Oh sometimes I hate myself. But not because I’m Jewish. Heck, I can come up with better reasons than that.

4. seanmcbride
    August 16, 2014, 4:07 pm

Because the Zionist religious claim is true and all other religious claims are false. It’s in the Bible. End of story.

5. Jackdaw
    August 16, 2014, 4:37 pm

Carey Wedler.
    Practically one in three Israeli women I see walking around here is pregnant.
    Israel doesn’t need you. Not your body, not your soul, not your mind.
    Stay in California and have a nice long fulfilling life.

• Pixel
      August 17, 2014, 12:24 am

@Jd

I may not be understanding you correctly but, if so, I’m with you. It doesn’t matter to me whether anyone in Israel hears about her, hears what she has to say, hears about this video or watches it. What I want is for every American to watch it, agree with her, and immediately stop sending US money to Israel.

I’m in love with the 2-state solution:

State #1: USA
      State #2: Israel

• Jackdaw
        August 17, 2014, 4:00 am

@jd

” What I want is for every American to watch it”

What Mondoweiss never gets its that Americans don’t give a crap about Israel.
        Mondoweiss lives for the controversy, but Mondoweiss isn’t representative of America, which btw, is becoming more Latino and Catholic every day.

• pjdude
        August 17, 2014, 1:29 pm

you do realize the strongest criticism of Israel outside of the arab world comes from central and south america? I’d say on this issue mondo weiss matches up very well

August 17, 2014, 4:10 pm

“As I’ve said before, Americans distaste for Arabs runs deeper than it’s feelings for Israel.”

Tell it to Rudolf Valentino and Theda Bara! They did alright.

• lysias
        August 17, 2014, 5:36 pm

And I believe Fairbanks’s Thief of Baghdad was a big hit in its time. It’s incredibly racist in how it presents East Asians, as Hollywood movies were at the time. The villain is an East Asian (Chinese?) king. But it is not racist towards Arabs. The hero and heroine are Arabs of Iraq/Mesopotamia, presented as the equivalent of American whites.

• Shingo
        August 17, 2014, 5:08 pm

What Mondoweiss never gets its that Americans don’t give a crap about Israel.

What you demonstrated is that Zionists don’t give a crap about Jews.

And because America is becoming more Latino and Catholic every day. Israel is in crisis.

• justicewillprevail
        August 17, 2014, 5:14 pm

Americans would love not to give a crap about israel. Unfortunately they are forced to pay billions to the country that doesn’t give a crap about them, except when it comes to being a human shield at the UN for these ingrates and entitlement junkies. Get your gangsters out of the US government, and then try the begging bowl routine.

• seanmcbride
        August 17, 2014, 10:01 am

Pixel,

I’m in love with the 2-state solution:

State #1: USA
        State #2: Israel

Love it — did you coin that?

Let Israel go its way and the United States and Europe go their way. Israel is free to persist in building Greater Israel, but on its own dime and with its own political capital.

If the United States and Europe ever do go “Zionist,” their ethnic and religious nationalism won’t be organized around Jewish ethnic and religious nationalism — they have their own traditions and interests.

• Daniel Rich
      August 17, 2014, 5:24 am

@ Jackdaw,

Q: Practically one in three Israeli women I see walking around here is pregnant.

R: OK. So, you live in an orthodox neighborhood.

Q 2: Israel doesn’t need you. Not your body, not your soul, not your mind.
      Stay in California and have a nice long fulfilling life.

R2: Cool, but than we keep the money too… :(~

I just hope she won’t ‘recant’ her story [as in getting late night phone calls and other kinds of hideous threats]

• Shingo
      August 17, 2014, 8:07 am

Israel doesn’t need you. Not your body, not your soul, not your mind.

Yes, there is no room for intelligent, clear headed, honesty people with morality, human decency, compassion, and respect for human rights or who believes in equality in Israel.

You’re much too good for Israel Carey Wedler. As Jackdaw has revealed, Israel is not the home of Jews, just racist, fascist thugs who get off on grotesque violence.

August 17, 2014, 11:35 am

Shingo, if there’s one argument a Zionist is always ready to make, it is that there are too many Jews!

August 17, 2014, 4:36 pm

“Israel doesn’t need you. Not your body, not your soul, not your mind.”

“But for God’s sake” says Jackdaw “Tell your Gentile neighbors we are counting on them, and Praise the Lord and send us ammunition!”

• Shingo
      August 17, 2014, 8:32 am

Hey Jackoff,

Here’s a very revealing account of your sadistic society during a rally of 10,000 people in Tel Aviv who don’t agree with you.

Author David Grossman told the crowd:

(We) are losing our home to fanaticism and internal hatred….Dangerous movements are coming to pass in Israel because of the despair, the anxiety, nationalism and racism erupting all at once.

Not one word of condemnation has been uttered by the prime minister. It will be very difficult to rein in the dark forces…. These processes and phenomena will unfortunately turn Israel into a radical, militant, xenophobic cult, isolated and ostracized.
      link to eaworldview.com

• Jackdaw
        August 17, 2014, 3:39 pm

“These processes and phenomena will unfortunately turn Israel into a radical, militant, xenophobic cult, isolated and ostracized.”

Maybe. Or maybe Israel will find friends else in the world.
        The are more Russian and Chinese tourists coming here every year. Israel’s relations with India and China are good, and these economic powerhouse’s make up half the world’s population.

‘Eurabia’ can go to hell.

• Shingo
        August 17, 2014, 6:24 pm

Maybe. Or maybe Israel will find friends else in the world.

No. Israel is rates among the 4 least popular countries in the world and it’s only getting worse.

The are more Russian and Chinese tourists coming here every year.

So what? They are not going to give Israel money or veto UNSC resolutions against Israel.

Except that they have no interest in Israel and they are not going to replace the US as Israel’s sugar daddy and protector.

Oh and Israel China relations are so good that China is already stealing Israel’s technology from under their nose.
        link to theguardian.com

Of course, they’ll soon realize that Iron Dome is a lemon.

In any case, if Israel thinks it’s going to enjoy the same degree of pandering from teh BRICS that they have grown accustomed to from the West, they are in for a rude shock. Israel’s popularity among the BRICS is only slightly better than SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).

‘Eurabia’ can go to hell.

But until then, keep showing Israel the money right Jackoff?

August 17, 2014, 11:34 am

Here’s Jackdaw, with the great Zionist argument: There’s too many Jews! And we need to get rid of some that don’t meet our standards.

• CliosBitch
      August 17, 2014, 12:55 pm

“Carey Wedler.
      Practically one in three Israeli women I see walking around here is pregnant.
      Israel doesn’t need you. Not your body, not your soul, not your mind.
      Stay in California and have a nice long fulfilling life.”

One does wonder what other regimes have collapsed the role of women into mere flesh-furnaces for the strengthening of the state. But I am sure some nice Israel advocate will be on here to remind us that Israel is a veritable Ms. Magazine’s paradise and concordantly, that misogynistic Arabs deserve to die.

• Jackdaw
        August 17, 2014, 3:56 pm

@Cliosbitch

Your very name suggests your degree of emancipation.

link to atimes.com

• Shingo
        August 17, 2014, 6:21 pm

Compared to whom? Saudi Arabia?

The starving masses in 3rd world countries make babies too. The top ten countries with the highest birth rates are war torn and impoverished. It tends to go hand in hand with populations that fear for their future. Israelis are also a miserable lot, convinced that the world hates them.

As for your pathetic article, Israel never rates in the top 20 of happiest countries.

And then Jackoff wakes up and realizes he was only dreaming and that Israel is a pariah state headed over a cliff.

• Jackdaw
        August 18, 2014, 2:05 am

” Compared to whom? Saudi Arabia?”

Compared to any other country within 1000 miles radius.

• CliosBitch
        August 17, 2014, 8:14 pm

“Your very name suggests your degree of emancipation.”

Irony is truly the handmaiden of the patriarchal jackboot.

“That said, Israeli women are by far the more liberated in the region and far beyond.”

It’s like you have all the sincerity of a telemarketer and all the flowing prose of a TV Guide writer.

“That said, Israeli figs are by far the more juicy in the region and far beyond.”

“That said, Israeli Windows 8 is by far the more appsiest in the region and far beyond.”

“That said, Israeli drunk drivers are by far the more liberated in the region and far beyond.”

Propaganda, as you know, is all about the notes you don’t hit.

“What Mondoweiss fails to understand is that Israelis, with all their problems and pathologies, are remain happy and positive about the future, to wit: they’re making babies.”

I actually feel stupider for having read this. Others with infinitely more patience and kindness than I have unpacked this, so I will settle for pointing and laughing.

Though that does remind me: I would like to apologize to other posters here. I’ve been a lurker for years, and when I have finally get on to have a good chortle at the fascist putz, he spews out nonsense like this.

“We just need to wear our enemies down by attrition, and a few generations from now, Israel should be sitting in the catbird seat, and Mondoweiss will find itself consigned to the rubbish heap of history.”

Good copy. You just need to add something about it being a thousand-year reign.

• Shingo
        August 17, 2014, 10:39 pm

Great to see you posting here CliosBitch. Love your style and hope to hear more from you.

• just
        August 17, 2014, 10:48 pm

Welcome CB– thank you for “speaking up”!

(Chortling myself here) appsiest!!!

• lysias
        August 17, 2014, 5:40 pm

That was also the Nazis’ attitude towards women. Note the first word in the motto: Kinder, Kirche, Küche.

By the way, since the thread where a description of attacks in Berlin-Neukölln on a car carrying an Israeli flag appeared is now closed to comments, let me take the opportunity here, as someone who was stationed in the nearby neighborhood of Tempelhof, to say that Neukölln is a neighborhood largely inhabited by immigrant Muslims.

• Jackdaw
        August 18, 2014, 2:12 am

“..the Nazis’ attitude to women..”

Except in Israel, there is no totalitarian government telling women to breed.
        The men and women here are making babies by personal choice.

August 17, 2014, 3:58 pm

“Practically one in three Israeli women I see walking around here is pregnant.”

Are you sure about that, Jackdaw? I mean, haven’t I seen Israelis asking “Does this war make me ass look fat?” articles. Maybe those are just spare tires, not new IDF terrorists you’re seeing..

6. Mooser
    August 16, 2014, 5:03 pm

“Why is the Zionist religious claim to the land any more valid than other religious claims throughout history?”

This question has been answered in these pages many times. The Zionist religious claim to the land is valid because it is backed by the will of the Jewish people! And that will will triumph!

• seafoid
      August 16, 2014, 6:16 pm

Because Zionists are special.
      And the land of Israel is holier. So Jewish farts are holier and more fragant than incense.

August 17, 2014, 11:38 am

“So Jewish farts are holier and more fragant than incense.”

The Holy fortz n’ zovver!!

7. dbroncos
    August 16, 2014, 5:58 pm

OT but Maggie Gyllenhaal has decided to weigh in on I/P in a new series – The Honorable Woman. What its about and what her views are on I/P she won’t say although she’s not shy about saying Obama broke her heart with disappointment.

link to time.com

8. dbroncos
    August 16, 2014, 6:14 pm

Great video, Carey. Looking forward to next episode :-)

9. seafoid
    August 16, 2014, 6:18 pm

“And when I came up with questions and started asking Jews and others who support Israel what they thought about what I had researched and all of the facts I presented, I was met with some pretty extreme hostility ”

I bet it was the same when Galileo started telling people the world was not in fact flat. And he was tortured as well.

• RoHa
      August 17, 2014, 4:38 am

In Galileo’s time (and for many hundreds of years previously) educated people believed the world was spherical. Galileo was was prosecuted for teaching heliocentrism.

The torture issue is less certain. There were three degrees of torture. First, verbal threat. Second, being shown the instruments. Third, the actual use of the instruments on the body. (With commendable American efficiency, US authorities usually skip the first two degrees.)

The evidence we have suggests that Galileo was never subjected to the third degree.

10. seafoid
    August 16, 2014, 6:52 pm

The hostility is natural given that a large chunk of the self respecting Jewish community has spent over 60 years backing Israel and it really is too late to question that now. Like grampops driving the car in the wrong direction for several days – who dares question him ?

11. Fearlessly honest, impeccably informed, scrupulously reasoned, articulate, compassionate, and thoroughly captivating.

Thank you, Carey Wedler, for having the integrity to speak out.

Simply brilliant!

• Walid
      August 17, 2014, 1:15 am

Yes superbly brilliant of Carey Wedler. Enjoyed it so much watched it twice in a row.

BTW, there must be an interesting story behind being banned by the CBC for commenting on Israel’s genocidal extremists; can you share it?

• I can’t promise you ‘interesting’, but you’re welcome to know the story.

I was repeatedly censored and ultimately banned from the CBC for attempting to post a comparison of Israel’s genocidal extremists to the genocidal extremists Israel cites as justification for its massacres.

They seemed to take particular issue with me wanting to talk about the fact that Ayelet Shaked (Member of the Israeli government) posted the following personal endorsement on her facebook page:

“This is an article by the late Uri Elitzur, which was written 12 years ago, but remained unpublished. It is as relevant today as it was at the time.”

Along with a letter, written by Uri Elitzur, that many people consider incitement to genocide.

Elitzur’s letter promotes collective punishment in passages like:

“This is a war. It is not a war against terror, and not a war against extremists, and not even a war against the Palestinian Authority. These too are forms of avoiding reality. This is a war between two people. Who is the enemy? The Palestinian people. Why? Ask them, they started.”

And uses dehumanizing language in passages like:

“Now this also includes the mothers of the martyrs, who send them to hell with flowers and kisses. They should follow their sons, nothing would be more just. They should go, as should the physical homes in which they raised the snakes. Otherwise, more little snakes will be raised there.”

The facts are the facts. I think Canadians should be free to discuss them, especially when our Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister are savaging Canada’s reputation, with their unconditional support for Israel.

Eight years of a right wing government that is openly deferential to Israel and openly hostile to what the CBC once was, has resulted in a budget-battered and ethically-restructured broadcaster that serves masters OTHER than the Canadian public.

Anyway, there it is. Thanks for asking.

P.S. I watched Carey’s video twice in a row as well, and once more since. I was familiar with most of her facts, but there was some information in her video that was new to me, so for me, it was informative as well as being just superbly presented.

• Walid
        August 17, 2014, 11:58 pm

Thanks banned, interesting what happened from the CBC that has strayed way off-course from the good journalistic days of the late Barbara Frum. I hope you’re not pinning all your hopes on Trudeau II, he’s already showing signs, probably because of his wife, that he wouldn’t be much different about Israel than Harper.

• No hope at all in Canada, it seems.

The only party leader who has a reasonable view on the subject is Elizabeth May (Green Party).

Palestinians have no hope except an international movement like what slowly, but finally, ended South African Apartheid.

Public opinion needs to be loud enough that the people are heard over the governments that refuse to represent us.

12. seafoid
    August 16, 2014, 7:01 pm

link to haaretz.com

“The Jewish Chronicle, a British newspaper, has apologized for running an advertisement for a charity raising funds for the crisis in Gaza.
    The weekly paper said running the ad for the Disasters Emergency Committee’s Gaza Crisis Appeal was “meant as a purely humanitarian gesture,” BBC reported.
    In response to controversy over its decision to run the ad, The Jewish Chronicle’s editor, Stephen Pollard, issued a statement Thursday explaining that the ad was not an expression of the newspaper’s editorial view, which he said is separate from its commercial operations.
    “The ad was approved by the chairman of the JC, who has no involvement in editorial decisions, as an ad for humanitarian aid which nowhere makes political or partisan points,” Pollard wrote.
    The ad features an image of a Palestinian child and states: “Thousands of children in Gaza … are injured, homeless and living in fear. They desperately need medical supplies, shelter, food and water right away.”
    Pollard wrote that he and the newspaper “are entirely supportive of Operation Protective Edge, as our coverage has demonstrated.” ”

The US marines have a great word – “unfuck”. how does the JC unfuck this situation ?

• Bob_Salad
      August 17, 2014, 8:47 am

I’ve been growing increasingly uncomfortable using the term ‘Operation Protective Edge’ as it’s in no way reflective of what actually transpired. Moreover, it’s continued use only serves to legitimize the idea that Israel’s actions were ‘protective’ when the whole world now realizes Israel’s actions were anything but.

Moving forward, I propose we use a new, more appropriate term of reference:

Operation Calamitous Bodge
      Operation Collective Smudge
      Operation Destructive Nudge

13. Pixel
    August 17, 2014, 12:26 am

Carey, you GO, girl!

14. Taxi
    August 17, 2014, 12:31 am

One cannot help but notice that it is both ISIS and israel who are bombing mosques and churches. Only ISIS and israel are ethnically cleansing lands they falsely claim as theirs. It is ISIS in tandem with israel who are killing indigenous people en mass in the middle east.

Nobody else is committing these horrendous crimes against humanity except for ISIS and israel.

More jews should be making this link and utterly shunning zionism for its partnership with ISIS in their evil attempt to redraw the map of the middle east.

• Shingo
      August 17, 2014, 5:15 pm

Make that ISIS, Israel and Egypt.

Not only did the Egyptian messiah, El Sidi massacre 800 people , but he was entirely complicit in the massacre of Palestinians in Gaza.

• Taxi
        August 17, 2014, 11:31 pm

Egypt might be a lot of things but it ain’t a violent expansionist entity like israel and ISIS are. That’s why it ain’t on my list. Your addition tells me that you didn’t get the point of my comment.

15. Taxi
    August 17, 2014, 12:44 am

Carey Wedler is not a zionist. You can tell this because she says ‘hamas’ and not ‘khkhkhkhkhkhkhamas!’.

August 17, 2014, 4:00 pm

I’m beginning to think that Jews who are not Zionist scare the crap out of Israelis. And Zionists generally. After all, if Zionism loses it’s hold over the Jews, what does it have left?

16. yonah fredman
    August 17, 2014, 2:16 am

Some comments on the “chosen people” aspect.

Neturei Karta believes in chosen people but does not believe in Zionism.

Syrians are slaughtering each other by the hundreds of thousands and neither side is attached to the biblical chosen people.

Colonialists killed millions of people without the “chosen people” mantra. That’s what colonialism does.

“Chosen people” is not my favorite Judaic concept. certain parts of the bible bother me much more than others. when i was young i was bugged by the chosen people concept, now that i am older i am primarily bugged by abraham almost slaughtering his son. the bible aspires to be (claims to be) a book that changes you and that changes with you and so i am glad that i embody that.

August 17, 2014, 4:07 pm

“Neturei Karta believes in chosen people but does not believe in Zionism.”

Of course we are the chosen people Yonah! I never once doubted in my life! We have been chosen for the sacred job of expunging Zionism from Judaism, and trying to ameliorate the bad consequences it has already had, for the world and for Jews.
      This is a Holy mission for which the present generation has been chosen by God, the Almighty One, Praised be He! I pray they will not fail Him!

17. tree
    August 17, 2014, 2:27 am

Two new videos out by Apartheid Adventures.com

The first one “Gaza:The IDF Explains Itself”:

18. seafoid
    August 17, 2014, 5:01 am

Zionism’s cognitive dissonance difficulties. Very hard to defend the memes against someone who knows the facts.

And then one day the unthinkable happens as the equilibrium collapses.

19. RobertB
    August 17, 2014, 8:43 am

They Pulled Me Back

By Eric Margolis
    August 16th, 2014

“How handy. All three US networks and the increasingly shackled BBC were ordered to drop GAZA reporting and focus their cameras on the suffering Yazidis and, all of as sudden, Iraq’s fleeing Christians.

This was a brilliant ploy. The world, which was furious at the US for enabling Israel’s savaging GAZA and killing almost 2,000 Palestinians, switched its attention to the hitherto unknown Yazidis and the Iraqi Christians. No one in the US ever heard of the Yazidis but that was ok. Unckle Sam to the rescue.”

link to informationclearinghouse.info

• just
      August 17, 2014, 10:06 am

First they switched to ebola, Ukraine, then Iraq, then Ferguson. I think I have that right.

Anything but Gaza.

(isn’t it interesting that in 3 out of the 4 foreign disasters, the US’ fingerprints are all over the place?)

• Walid
      August 17, 2014, 8:18 pm

He who pays the piper, the networks, BBC and the CBC…

What is so different or worse in enabling Israel from enabling Nusra in Syria and ISIS in Iraq?

Same shit, same sponsor, different geography. Margolis shyly touched on this at the end of his piece. The American return wasn’t really for the sake of the Yazidis, it was for that of the Kurds that had ISIS 40 miles from Irbil.

• MRW
      August 18, 2014, 3:14 am

Good piece by Margolis.

20. CloakAndDagger
    August 17, 2014, 2:03 pm

I love this woman!! She sounds like Ron Paul. Her indictment of government is brilliant. That someone is as aware as she is at her young age, is truly refreshing. I can’t wait to hear more from her. More power to you, Carey!

• Shingo
      August 17, 2014, 6:25 pm

And she’s cute as a button to boot. I hope my daughter turns out to be a remarkable as her.

But most of all, she’s obviously a very strong young lady who’s chosen to put values before tribalism.

What a refreshing change. I hope she serves as an inspiration to young Jews throughout the world.