‘One nation, one state, one leader’ — frightening slogan at Tel Aviv protest

Ofer Neiman sent this along, from Facebook.

fascistic slogan at rally

fascistic slogan at rally, “one nation, one state, one leader”

From that facebook page:

Ultra-Zionists counter-protesting today against Rabin Square antiwar demo, sign reads: “one nation, one state, one leader”. Yes, the Reich is back in white and blue.

Neiman passes on this comment from a friend:

“sadly It’s not a hoax. some people we know talk to the people holding this sign. they were serious and didn’t know the slogan history.”

Who needs to know the history, we’ve all absorbed it history unconsciously. Which is not to say that the Holocaust is being reenacted by Israel, but that certain Nazi ideas about power have been absorbed.  It’s what has been imprinted. The recovery movement informs us that a victim of abuse will reenact the role of the abuser when he has the hammer. I was with a Jewish friend once at night at the monstrous hulking gray steel and concrete apparatus of Qalandiya checkpoint, dark against a dark sky, and he said, This is as bad as Auschwitz. He was not saying, this is as bad as an extermination camp, he was observing the essential feeling of the apartheid system that has been established.

1. Blownaway
    August 10, 2014, 2:12 pm

The years of indoctrination and education about never again has taught the world what fascism looks like. But the teachers are so busy teaching they didn’t see the transformation in them

2. lysias
    August 10, 2014, 2:19 pm

I wonder if עם can mean “people” in the sense of “Volk”.

Quite a Führer that Netanyahu is. Or do they have somebody else in mind.

3. James North
    August 10, 2014, 2:20 pm

Will one of our German-speaking visitors repeat the Nazi slogan, which is, if I’m not mistaken, identical? I think I know it, but I’m afraid I’ll mispell it.

• Amar
      August 10, 2014, 2:46 pm

Dont speak German, but… Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer (one people, one country, one leader).

• W.Jones
      August 10, 2014, 3:04 pm

Here it is, James:

“One people, one realm, one leader.”

• Baldur
      August 10, 2014, 3:18 pm

“Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer”

• lysias
      August 10, 2014, 3:21 pm

Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer!

Wir wollen heim ins Reich.

(By the way, the French already under Louis XIV had: Un roi, une foi, une loi.)

• ckg
        August 10, 2014, 6:00 pm

Louis XIV’s motto, I believe, was not exactly devoid of malice either, as my Huegenot ancestors were keenly aware.

• Tuyzentfloot
      August 10, 2014, 3:29 pm

I’m afraid I’ll mispell it.

Yeah right.

• Citizen
      August 10, 2014, 3:34 pm

Volk: The concept of Volk (people, nation, or race) has been an underlying idea in German history since the early nineteenth century. Inherent in the name was a feeling of superiority of German culture and the idea of a universal mission for the German people. During the time Hitler was influential, the word meant: The German people (with reference to Nazi ideology).

Nazi poster: Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer.

• Bandolero
        August 10, 2014, 5:33 pm

Citizen

Regarding the link you provided: the server checks the referer. To see the poster, one has to go to this site:

then down to 63. and click on the image.

• Citizen
        August 10, 2014, 11:06 pm

@ Bandolero

Yes, that’s correct way to see the jpg image. Thanks for correcting my link.

• American
        August 10, 2014, 8:25 pm

” Volk: The concept of Volk (people, nation, or race) has been an underlying idea in German history since the early nineteenth century. Inherent in the name was a feeling of superiority of German culture and the idea of a universal mission for the German people. ”

..sounds like zionism to me.
        I wonder if there has ever been a movement or concept based on ‘peoplehood /nation, superiority, mission,’ that didnt go wrong.

4. Stephen Shenfield
    August 10, 2014, 2:48 pm

Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer

5. Marnie
    August 10, 2014, 3:11 pm

עם
    Definition: People, folk, nation, relative, community, mob.

6. yonah fredman
    August 10, 2014, 3:36 pm

Leaving alone the sign by the protester and instead focusing on the question of the Israel=Nazi Germany equation. The equation is useful in a private feely- touchy sort of way to describe an individual’s emotional reaction to a circumstance. Whenever a teacher used to act in a particularly totalitarian fashion it was customary for us kids, to put one finger under our nose in imitation of a toothbrush moustache and to lift one arm in a heil salute. It is indeed an adolescent reaction, but when our emotions are in play, everything from infantile to adolescent to adult like reactions are useful in expressing what we are feeling.

The cumulative effect of the overuse of the Israel=Nazi equation is to negate dialogue. Dialogue with Nazis? Forget about it. How can one be so ridiculous?

So on the positive side it enunciates an individual’s feelings and on the negative side- it can lead to throwing dialogue down the toilet.

If indeed one is dedicated to both dialogue and self expression then it can be used, but it should be used with discretion. But MW gives off the vibe that its “dialogue” function is pro forma and not real. MW’s heart seems to be devoted to the impossibility of dialogue and certainly the echo chamber of the comments section is devoted to: let’s hear something that the choir will enjoy. So the net effect of the equation is to intensify the echo-ness of this echo chamber.

• James North
      August 10, 2014, 4:23 pm

yonah: You sound like you are more upset at Mondoweiss than you are at the Israeli who carried a Hitler slogan at a demonstration in Israel — and at the Israelis around that sign-carrier who did not apparently urge him or her to desist?

• yonah fredman
        August 10, 2014, 4:44 pm

James- The racism of Nazism. the racism in israel, and separately: the totalitarianism implied by the sign are horrible and stupid.

I think the issue of the usage of the Israel = Nazism mantra is relevant.

(I believe that the ultimate sentiment of ein folk, ein reich, ein fuhrer would imply that there would be no elections in Israel, just like after 1933 there were no elections in germany. I expect there to be elections in Israel for at least the next 32 years. don’t you?)

so this sign is bad, but really it is not major, whereas the Israel=Nazism motif is quite a major one.

But every time i talk about topic A, you come along and say, why don’t you talk about topic B. I want to talk about what i want to talk about and you talk about what you want to talk about. how does that sound? fair enough?

• Cliff
        August 10, 2014, 7:03 pm

Yonah.

I don’t think the Israelis will carry out outright Holocaust on the Palestinians.

The Holocaust was unique, assembly-line, industrialized genocide.

That won’t happen again.

What will happen though is that Israel will continue to ethnically cleanse the Palestinians and ‘warehouse’ them.

Israel will continue to massacre 1500-2000+ Palestinians every few years.

Israel will continue to destroy Palestinian civilian infrastructure.

I think it’s silly to think that Nazis should only be called Nazis if they plan to carry out industrialized genocide.

Nazis were Nazis for many reasons. The Holocaust is a big reason, but there’s also their hate-fueled mendacity.

• lyn117
        August 11, 2014, 12:54 am

They may just be waiting for global warming to make Gaza completely uninhabitable. Then claim it’s not their fault.

• Robert
        August 10, 2014, 7:31 pm

Yonah,

Elections are less than meets the eye. With the media and the education system indoctrinating people with a narrative and news stories that are not true, elections are safe for the power structure. Democracy is not just elections. The news upon which the voting is based needs to be true.

August 10, 2014, 4:37 pm

Sure, let’s have a dialogue, let’s have a compromise. How many illegal settlements will Israel remove? How soon can you stop the Occupation? C’mon Yonah, how’s about a little compromise. Why not start by stating exactly where Israel’s borders are, so we all have someplace to start compromising from?

• yonah fredman
        August 10, 2014, 4:42 pm

• Karl Dubhe
        August 10, 2014, 5:44 pm

If you insist.

{“MW’s heart seems to be devoted to the impossibility of dialogue and certainly the echo chamber of the comments section is devoted to:”

Oh, and I’m sure you’ll be willing to compromise on the whole Jewish State thing, to.}

• yonah fredman
        August 11, 2014, 12:12 am

karl- thank you. I really don’t think there is that much to mister mooser’s words. I didn’t mention the word compromise, though that is mister mooser’s focus. but I will react as follows:

I think that a dialogue between the opinions of leon weiseltier and jonathan chait and peter beinart on the one hand and khalid rashidi on the other hand would be interesting and clarifying.

I did not mention the word compromise and i don’t think that is of the essence. If one has a vision of how one views the best possible outcome of the situation- 1. one state where they all sing kumbaya or 2. one state where the zionists are all hanged or asked to leave versus the two staters: beinart, chait and wieseltier, i think there might be an interesting conversation that would reveal possibilities. Certainly since chait, beinart and wieseltier do not elect the prime minister and would probably vote meretz or livni, depending on the phase of the moon and the the number of lumps of realism in their morning coffee, it is true that dialogue between them and khalidi would not reveal enough light to negate the sad and brutal facts on the ground. dialogue is not the be all and end all. but those who are expressing themselves with words and not guns, should not negate dialogue, because the opposite of dialogue is the barrel of a gun and that is precisely what the occupation is: a barrel of a gun suppressing the urge for freedom, granted. But the upshot is: if you don’t believe in dialogue, it means that you are telling me to shut up.

• eljay
        August 11, 2014, 7:32 am

>> Karl Dubhe echoing Mooser @ August 10, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I look forward to y.f.’s side of this dialogue. Unless he was planning only to “dialog” like R.W. used to do.

August 11, 2014, 10:27 am

“I didn’t mention the word compromise, “

No, you didn’t. I gave you that one, but I see you reject it. OK, you don’t want compromise. That’s pretty much what I thought.

• American
        August 10, 2014, 8:35 pm

Seriously, what is there left to dialogue about?
        The only debate I see left is how to make Israel quit doing what its doing.

• eljay
        August 11, 2014, 10:39 am

>> eljay: I look forward to y.f.’s side of this dialogue.

y.f.’s post on August 11, 2014 at 12:12 am makes it seem like all he really wanted to do was monologue.

August 10, 2014, 10:16 pm

“If someone is willing to echo Mooser’s words, I will reply. I do not reply to Mooser. Have a nice day, Mooser.”

That’s right pal. I dish it out, you just sit there and take it. You’ve got nothing to say. You are simply afraid to talk back to me.

• yonah fredman
        August 11, 2014, 12:04 am

mooser- i don’t buy that you’re so stupid that you don’t know why i don’t talk with you. have an excellent awesome and stupendous day.

August 11, 2014, 10:30 am

“mooser- i don’t buy that you’re so stupid that you don’t know why i don’t talk with you.”

Like you are doing right now? D’oh!

• Marnie
        August 11, 2014, 12:12 am

Really? This is so junior high!

• Karl Dubhe
        August 10, 2014, 5:46 pm

Someone wants a game of telephone, I think. :)

• Stephen Shenfield
      August 10, 2014, 4:38 pm

I have tried “dialogue” with Israelis, but I have found it extremely frustrating and exhausting because they are so tricky. They ignore points you make that they don’t like and they absolutely refuse to consider anything from a different point of view. They constantly lie, evade, equivocate, shift goalposts, contradict themselves, etc. If they feel that a line of argument is not leading where they want it to lead, they refuse to continue with it and change the subject. If you say anything they find offensive they become abusive or hysterical. It is not real dialogue but a form of verbal warfare. So it is Israelis themselves who make dialogue impossible. I know there are exceptions, but they are rare.

• Stephen Shenfield
        August 10, 2014, 7:22 pm

Chris Hedges also makes the point that Israeli lies make dialogue impossible:

“The Big Lie destroys any possibility of history and therefore any hope for a dialogue between antagonistic parties that can be grounded in truth and reality” (Why Israel Lies, http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/why_israel_lies_20140803)

• RoHa
        August 11, 2014, 3:46 am

But don’t forget that Zionism is pluralistic, democratic, artistic and creative. So it should be no surprise that Zionists artfully create a plurality of different stories, and peddle whichever ones the majority of Zionists approve of at the moment.

• lyn117
        August 11, 2014, 12:59 am

That’s my short experience at “projectreason” (I keep seeing it as “project treason”) but I don’t guess the bloggers were Israeli, just pro-Israel. Not really worth discussing anything with them. Deliberately blind, abusive… like you say.

It would be nice to have a genuine dialogue. I guess that’s expecting too much.

August 10, 2014, 4:44 pm

“MW’s heart seems to be devoted to the impossibility of dialogue…”

Says the guy who has never acknowledged a single thing he’s read here. If there’s so little dialogue, chump, what are you doing here? Come to tell us how bad our dialogue is, or are just settling in and making us pay a “price tag” for it?

Go practice your sniping, Dabakr, your aim is way off. You probably couldn’t even hit a child.

• Bandolero
      August 10, 2014, 5:46 pm

yonah
      Of course two different groups of people are never the same, so what ever Israel does, it will never be the same as what the Nazis did and the equation Israel = Nazi is wrong.

So, I find it wrong to use it. I agree that the equation prevents a sensible discourse on a sensitive topic: why do the ideologies of Nazism and Zionism are so similar in many regards?

I think the answer is that both, Nazism and Zionism, are ideological sister products of the wave of racism sweeping over colonial Europe at the end of the 19th century. Both these ideologies are born out of affirmation of the racist ideas of Europeans and European colonialists at that time. It was the time when in European towns black people in cages were publicly exhibited so that exited white parents could show their children what real negroes look like.

• Philemon
        August 10, 2014, 7:39 pm

“I think the answer is that both, Nazism and Zionism, are ideological sister products of the wave of racism sweeping over colonial Europe at the end of the 19th century.”

Don’t forget Eugenics. And the idea that different “races” prospered in different environments, e.g., “latitudes” and “soils” and could never ever possibly get along together and peacefully cooperate. It’s not like “ethnic cleansing” was seen as a necessarily bad thing by some people, even after WWII.

That said, there are lots of people that see the Israeli state as Nazism for (some) jews. And a lot of them are of jewish extraction. They just think it is so very obvious.

There are also a lot of little old ladies who watch the “news” out of habit but don’t get it. As my mother said, “Isn’t Islam one of the major World Religions?” And this was a woman who was “Miss Liberty” for the local synagogue on the Fourth of July parade!

August 10, 2014, 10:21 pm

Remember, at that time “separate creation”, the notion that man appeared in several places and in different colors instead of us all descending from one small group of hominids, (in Africa, yet!) had not, by any means, been discarded. (I’m a Getdown Man, myself Some people say I was descended from Putdown Man).

You can’t argue equality with somebody who believes in separate creation, or in a God-based creation which gave each “race” its “place”.

• RoHa
        August 11, 2014, 4:37 am

The basic “out of Africa*” theory is now being challenged by the multi-regional continuity theory, which suggests multiple but not entirely separate
        “creations”.

(*Thank you, Pliny the Elder and Karen Blixen.)

• Keith
        August 11, 2014, 6:23 pm

MOOSER- “I’m a Getdown Man, myself Some people say I was descended from Putdown Man”

And all of this time I thought you were a Biker Man. Go figure.

August 10, 2014, 10:56 pm

“I think the answer is that both, Nazism and Zionism, are ideological sister products of the wave of racism sweeping over colonial Europe at the end of the 19th century. Both these ideologies are born out of affirmation of the racist ideas of Europeans and European colonialists at that time.”

I’ve always thought that when Zionism went shopping for a philosophy and ideology they went dumpster-diving instead. “Oh look!” said Zionism holding up a bundle of discarded racist ideas, “Such a bargain”

• Bandolero
        August 10, 2014, 11:55 pm

At the time when Zionism was created at the end of the 19th century racism was not a discredited idea. Quite the opposite, it was flourishing and modern science. Of course, there was some opposition to racism, like Marxists and some other Europeans like many jews and some christians, but in general the existence of human races was a widely accepted fact of modern science.

In the 20th century racism was largely discarded as a science and as a good idea, largely due to the abhorrent crimes and the following defeat of racist Germany in 1945, but in took still decades to push back the idea of racism. In the US, a big pushback against the idea of racism came, I think, with Montgomery Bus Boycott 1955, and for South Africa it took several decades longer.

The problem with the born-out-of-racism ideology of Zionism as I see it, is how it adapted to the continuning defeat of the racist worldview. From what I see Zionism adpated to this largely by exchanging the word “race” for “ethnicity” and “people” but leaving the rest of the underlying racist ideology largely like it was. This bluff was called in the 70s when the UN parliament sigled out zionism as a racist ideology. When Israel’s best ally, the US, won the cold war, the UN parliament retracted that criticism of zionism as racism due to US pressure, but the underlying problem that zionism in it’s core is indeed a racist ideology largely unchanged from colonial Europe in the 19th century persisted and so the problem persists up to this very day.

• RoHa
        August 11, 2014, 4:58 am

In the 19th Century, the results of the Enlightenment, the scientific revolution, and the industrial revolution, had so changed the world that it seemed obvious to Europeans that there were different levels of civilisation, and that these were associated with the various races. The British were the highest level, followed so closely by other Northern Europeans that some of them impudently thought they were equally high, then down through Southern Europeans, Chinese and Japanese, Indians, and so on until they arrived at the most primitive blacks and Irish.

Interestingly, it was at this time that European archaeologists greatly extended knowledge of ancient civilisations that ran counter to the race-based ideas.

7. Citizen
    August 10, 2014, 3:49 pm

More context for Das Volk: A romantic concept for the nature of the German people as something very special, with the highest virtues no other people could match: http://wiki.dickinson.edu/index.php/The_Volk_and_Other_Ideological_Influences_on_National_Socialism

• lysias
      August 10, 2014, 4:50 pm

The idea derives from Herder, who held that every people — not just the Germans — has its own peculiar genius. Only later in the history of Romanticism did some Germans restrict the idea to Germans, and there were always those who disagreed with them.

8. DaBakr
    August 10, 2014, 3:58 pm

ein volk, ein reich, ein führer. One people, one empire, one leader. empire and nation are quite a bit different though I suspect some jokesters here like moos would argue otherwise. And while fuhrer is a leader it is a step above an elected leader like Netanyahu and much more like a king or ceasar. But hey-feel free to make your analogies. I guess if i believed that an implied ’empire’ were the same thing as a nation-a small one at that-i might be “horrified and scared as well. also: not really certain the nazis were originators of the phrase since there were many empires before the 3rd reich that could have easily adopted the same phrase

August 10, 2014, 4:40 pm

“I suspect some jokesters here like moos would argue otherwise

Since I haven’t yet made a comment, that seems a little tendentious, doesn’t it? And since I’m not the one holding the sign with the fascist slogan, what has it got to do with anything?

Well, looky there, by the end of his comment, Dabakr has argued himself into liking the slogan. He knows it fits.

• DaBakr
        August 10, 2014, 5:06 pm

@moos.
        Since you think i’m so “presumptuously ingratiating”, which “is funny” and wish for you to like me so much I will apologize for ‘pre’ accusing of making a joke where you made none thereby confounding the moderator who twice took down a rather snarkly but polite response to that comment which also left 2pjdudes: “if you say so” hanging in the breeze context free.

I don’t mind the ‘slogan’ in general-since I don’t find it anything more then nationalistic bravado and quite less then anything ‘fascist’ from anyones pov- and if by chance say-the Palestinians had had a similar sign up (i don’t know that they ever did) when Yassir Arafat unified them somewhat it wouldn’t have me all up in arms and all ‘horrified’ and ‘scared’ as pw seems to be by this. But it isn’t a slogan I would use myself because while there are many instances of nations like the US, GB and Israel turning in times of conflict to ‘one leader’ in fact-none of these countries where ever ruled by one leader no matter how popular he was-including Geo. Washington.
        @ly
        And I certainly do not believe that the nazis use of “reich’ is anyway applicable to the sign holders use of ‘state’ as it is interchangeable with the word ‘nation’ but not the word ’empire’ and a ‘leader’ is not quite a ‘führer’ while it may be true that a fuhrer is definitely a leader. is not

August 10, 2014, 10:32 pm

“Since you think…/…. leader. is not”

DaBakr, you’re doing it again, standing there with your hands in your pocket, fidgeting (looks bad, man) and muttering to yourself. Mutter, mutter. While looking daggers at everyone who meets your eye.
        Hey, dude, it’s your brand, you push it the way you want. Are fiendish, muttering guys with their hands in their pockets, fidgeting, trending now or something?

August 10, 2014, 10:47 pm

Okay, DaBakr, like a fool I read your comment.

I get it, Hitler is just like George Washington, cause leaders or something, and the whole world sucks, but the people at Mondo suck worse. So Israel is right cause Washington could have been Hitler.

Got it.

• lysias
        August 11, 2014, 10:29 am

Take a look at any coins or stamps from the Weimar Republic. They are labeled “Deutsches Reich”. The German defense establishment during the Weimar Republic was called “Reichswehr”. “Deutsches Reich” was just the official name of the unified German state between 1870 and 1945, whether under the Hohenzollern monarchy, the Weimar Republic, or the Nazi dictatorship.

• lysias
        August 11, 2014, 5:39 pm

Well, actually the official name became “Grossdeutsches Reich” in 1938, after the Anschluss of Austria.

• lysias
      August 10, 2014, 4:41 pm

“Nation” does not appear in the Hebrew sign in the same position as “Reich” in the Nazi slogan. The Hebrew word that appears in that place is the word for “state”, which is not so different from “Reich”. Two different words for the state form. “Nation” in the Hebrew appears in the same place as “Volk” in the Nazi slogan. Is that so different?

• DaBakr
        August 10, 2014, 5:13 pm

@Ly
        of course it doesn’t. that is because you are the one trying to eek out the comparison and its not working out unless you twist it around a little in terms of position and context. go ahead. nobody here minds.

August 10, 2014, 11:11 pm

. “go ahead. nobody here minds.”

And everybody was waiting for your permission, too. It’s just part of the ‘price tag’ I guess.

• Tuyzentfloot
        August 10, 2014, 5:32 pm

The idea of having one state for one jewish nation (you can’t have Israeli nationality) was there from the start, but the aspect about ‘one leader’ is a bit of a stretch. I can imagine that in the current swing to the right the idea of a strong leader appeals, but how much other evidence is there for it? On the other hand, is it essential for describing the process?

August 10, 2014, 10:35 pm

Well it goes very well with the “Israel Now, Israel forever” nonsense.
        You know, when you seem to be getting your memes from Hitler and the unreconstructed George Wallace, it might be time to think about….oh, what am I saying. Forget it.

• Marnie
      August 10, 2014, 11:56 pm

Well shucks, Netanyahu acts like he’s a king or an emperor or a fuhrer, telling the world not to recognize hamas (way back in April or May), told US “don’t ever second-guess me again” – why, will he hold his breath till he turns blue or blow up the reichstag? Will he unleash a nuke on any nation who second guesses him again? Please, feel free to continue to make excuses for him an israel – makes you sound like the spouse of the hopeless addict – “He only gets this way when he drinks scotch”, “He doesn’t mean it”, He’s really sorry afterwards” etc., etc.
      Sorry with the analogies, but they’re just begging to be made.

9. wes
    August 10, 2014, 5:33 pm

Every single article posted ends up having some link to the holocaust.keep up the good work.great idea ……turning a negative (the holocaust) into a positive (support for gaza).
    No wonder young jews are confused.
    unfortunately in europe the positive of support for gaza in leading to nazi like actions against jews.
    This cycle of violence that will have serious consequences for europe.
    the next holocaust will be against moslems and arabs living in europe.

• Justpassingby
      August 10, 2014, 6:17 pm

wes

You are obviously confused, direct your anger against the nazi slogan guy on the pic, not the messenger (Mondoweiss).

• wes
        August 11, 2014, 5:55 am

Justpassingby says:

“You are obviously confused……………………..

no not confused you attack me the messenger instead of what i am stating

i will say it again

……turning a negative (the holocaust) into a positive (support for gaza).

it is a brilliant stratergy by arab propagandists to change support for israel

the fact is that the holocaust started many centuries ago.the nazi,s were only one of a long line of oppressors

seriously look at the history of jewish coins from israel.its the reason why i support israel.its our history.not the persians or romans or greeks or arabs or turks.

First Judean Coins (4th Century BCE)
        The Syrian-Judean Coin Connection (142-131 BCE)
        Maccabean/Hasmonean Coins (135-37 BCE)
        The Last of the Maccabees (40-37 BCE)
        The Widow’s Mite (30 CE)
        The Roman-Judean Coin Connection (58-53 BCE)
        Herod the Great’s Coins (37-4 BCE)
        The Herodian Dynasty (4 BCE – 39 CE)
        Herod’s Grandchildren (37-96 CE)
        The Procurators (6-66 CE)
        The Tribute Penny (30 CE)
        The First Revolt (66-70 CE)
        Judaea Capta (70-96 CE)
        Nerva’s Jewish Tax Coin (96 CE)
        The Other Jewish Revolt (115-117 CE)
        Hadrian’s Trip to Judaea (130 CE)
        The Second Revolt (132-135 CE)
        The Coins Live On (after 135 CE)
        City Coins of Palestine (66-268 CE)
        Arabs in the Holy Land (650-1094 CE)
        The Crusaders (1099-1861 CE)
        Rebirth (1948)

• RoHa
        August 11, 2014, 9:07 am

Numismazionism?

• eljay
        August 11, 2014, 10:03 am

>> RoHa: Numismazionism?

You coined (pun intended) a word! And a good one at that. :-)

August 11, 2014, 10:52 am

RoHa, what I like about Zionists is how they will pull any atrocity, any war, whether it involved “the Jews” or not, to justify some aspect of Zionism.
        I’m waiting for: “Well, what about those ancient Aztecs? They used to tear the hearts out of virgins and throw ’em in a volcano! And Zionists have never done that!”

August 10, 2014, 10:38 pm

“the next holocaust will be against moslems and arabs living in europe.”

Oh, don’t wish for it so hard. My God, wishing for genocide.

August 10, 2014, 10:42 pm

“No wonder young jews are confused.”

Wes, they’re not confused, they ask themselves:

why on earth should I let my religion ask me to hate, and ask me to be complicit in the atrocities of Zionism?

And in many cases, the answers are very clear to them.

• Daniel Rich
      August 10, 2014, 10:45 pm

@ wes,

Q: … This cycle of violence…

R: I’m confused. With this many cycles of violence unfolding simultaneously, which specific cycle are you referring to? 298 dead? 1,800 dead? 150,000 dead?

Oh, and if BiBi would be kind enough to change his name to ‘Fried’ [German version] we can all chant, “SiegFried, SiegFried, SiegFried!”

10. Daniel Rich
    August 10, 2014, 8:03 pm

“We built our Freedom and Liberty over the backs of the weak…” – BiBi, in a speech near one of the fluid borders with Gaza.

11. Kay24
    August 10, 2014, 8:46 pm

“Who needs to know the history, we’ve all absorbed it history unconsciously. Which is not to say that the Holocaust is being reenacted by Israel, but that certain Nazi ideas about power have been absorbed. It’s what has been imprinted. The recovery movement informs us that a victim of abuse will reenact the role of the abuser when he has the hammer.”

I think Philip has described the situation very well in a few sentences. It is obvious these past few weeks have been very enlightening and we keep seeing the similarities between the nazis and the zionists. The hammer has indeed changed hands, and those who once felt the pain when it slammed them, is now inflicting that pain in the same way, with hatred and brutality, and the results are just as horrifying.

12. Elliot
    August 10, 2014, 10:47 pm

I don’t know enough about Nazi ideology to critique the significance of this Nazi slogan in an Israeli context. As the article makes clear, the sign is directed not at Palestinians but at the Israeli anti-war camp (such as it is). It seems that the intent of this sign is to appeal to a sense of national unity in this war and to defer to the wartime leader. Sans any violence, it is not unlike a typical wartime situation in a democracy such as the U.S. leading up to the Iraq war.

August 10, 2014, 11:05 pm

“it is not unlike a typical wartime situation in a democracy such as the U.S. leading up to the Iraq war.”

Let’s see was the War on Iraq ever declared, as required? No I don’t think it was, there was a ‘resolution’ os some type. So I guess that makes it a “typical wartime situation in a democracy” doesn’t it?

• Elliot
        August 11, 2014, 7:34 am

Mooser,
        If you like, we can go thru other examples of western countries silencing popular and parliamentary dissent at times of war. It didn’t make ’em Nazis.

August 11, 2014, 10:37 am

“If you like, we can go thru other examples of western countries silencing popular and parliamentary dissent at times of war.”

And it’s good old No. 4!! Yup, when Nos. 1, 2 & 3 fail, go to No. 4 “The Whole World Sucks”

Yes, Elliot, we know. Zionism can pick from among all of recorded, and mythical, history to find the bad examples to excuse itself. Next you’ll tell me what a bad guy Genghis Khan was, ‘much worse then Netanyahoo’

13. Mooser
    August 10, 2014, 11:02 pm

“I don’t like it either but, I find, (rather than turning to mendacity) that stupidity and ignorance are more often than not sufficient explanations.”

I’m with you, Elliot! Stupid and ignorant, with a big army with plenty of US supplied weaponry, and an illegal nuclear arsenal, and no borders, is no way to go through life.

• DaBakr
      August 11, 2014, 12:48 am

@stupid and ignorant. as in: doing others work for them….
      its nice to see the folks here at MW do the work of this ‘so-called’ hasbarist , naziocained fascist so much so that leaving comments here has become almost redundant and of less import then before. (even a mere 6 m ‘before’. I have seen quite a few articles in various and asst. worldwide press and blogs (not even Zionist blogs-tho certainly some do support Israel, or maybe conservative pro/liberal cons) giving lip service to MW as one of the most “preeminent of the American ‘hate’ sites on the web directed at Israeli Jews, Zionists , American Jews, World Jews an in reference to things like denials of nazi-like attacks and progroms on Jewish communities and if not out-and-out denied-then blamed on Zionists, Jews or both and mostly blaming Israel for all the probl;ems the Jews face in the word today. I couldn’t possibly do better then if I really were some payed hasbarist. I am sure there are 1001 links I could be directed to to disprove this comment but then there are the other 1000.5 links that come before it and show it in the cold light of day. People will read your blog without being members of the club and wonder

as for moosr…your definitely the Jackie Mason of MW but then does MW need a Jackie Mason (one who doesn’t know the Morgethaus from one another at that? Sure they do. Your the funny guy and funny guys make people see serious things with some amount of humor but please…don’t assume I actually give permission. That comes from your fans-of who I am not a big one. (mostly for the whole yiddishkeit schtick which never i pressed me much. Its like making fun of urban dialect that they used to even call patronizingly: ‘ebonics’

• Elliot
        August 11, 2014, 10:11 am

@DaBakr –
        You have my quote on top but your rant makes mysterious references to…what?

August 11, 2014, 10:41 am

Elliot, you aren’t supposed to question Dabakr! Don’t you dare! His Zionism exceeds your puny devotion to the Jewish people by several magnitudes! How dare you question him? Where’s your tribal unity?

August 11, 2014, 11:00 am

“your rant makes mysterious references to…what?”

Oh, Dabakr is off getting the links to back up “giving lip service to MW as one of the most “preeminent of the American ‘hate’ sites on the web directed at Israeli Jews, Zionists , American Jews, World Jews an in reference to things like denials of nazi-like attacks and progroms on Jewish communities”

When that avalanche of links and evidence gets here, we’ll all be sorry.

• DaBakr
        August 11, 2014, 11:40 am

@el

August 11, 2014, 1:57 pm

“@el
        reference was to MW accomplishing exactly the opposite of what it purports to accomplish while ‘popular’ commenters offer comic relief as deflection from the moral self-righteousness. At least some people see the strategy as exactly that-strategy, no more, no less.”

Ah, that explains it! What a shocking and completely unanswerable indictment!

August 11, 2014, 10:48 am

“don’t assume I actually give permission.”

You? Give me permission? ROTFLMSJAO!!! Yup, that’s what I need, “permission” from a draikop like you. Bist meshugeh?

And stop muttering. And take your hands out of your pockets.

14. peter hindrup
    August 10, 2014, 11:03 pm

‘‘One nation, one state, one leader’ —– with just a little fixing —

One nation, one person, one vote, ongoing — no Israel!

15. yarens
    August 11, 2014, 1:07 am

My guess is that these signs were created by opponents of the right wing and either distributed to people, or placed somewhere for random demonstrators to pick up. Many obviously did so. The assumption was that demonstrators would be, a. too ignorant to recognize the source of the slogan, and b. in principle sympathetic to it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if those who made the signs did so after seeing the Facebook page of this group, whose title is pretty close to the Nazi original: “One People, One Homeland, One History, One Country”.

16. Walid
    August 11, 2014, 3:57 am

On racism being discussed here, who would have thought Zionists also applied it to their sheep. It seems there are Jewish sheep and there are Arab sheep and the two must not inter-marry. From an excerpt by Edward Said in the LRB:

“… A disciplinary communications apparatus exists in the West both for overlooking most of the basic things that might present Israel in a bad light, and for punishing those why try to tell the truth. How many people know the kind of thing suggested by the following incident – namely, the maintenance in Israel of a rigid distinction between privileged Jew and underprivileged Palestinian? The example is recent, and its very triviality indicates the by now unconscious adherence to racial classification which pervades official Israeli policy and discourse. I have this instance from Professor Israel Shahak, Chairman of the Israeli League of Human Rights, who transcribed it from the Israeli journal Kol Ha’ir. The journal reports, with some effect of irony:

“The society of sheep raisers in Israel [an entirely Jewish body from which Arabs are totally excluded] has agreed with the Ministry of Agriculture that a special sheepfold will be built in order to check the various immunisations on sheep. Which sheep? Jewish sheep in Israel, writes Baruch Bar Shalev, secretary of the sheep raiser’s society in a circular letter to all sheep raisers. In the letter they are asked to pay, towards the cost of the sheepfold, twenty shekels for Jewish sheep. This demand was also received by Semadar Kramer of the secretariat of ‘Never Shalom’ near Latron.

Semadar Kramer sent the society of sheep raisers only half of the sum requested for building the Jewish sheepfold because ‘Never Shalom’ is a Jewish-Arab village, and therefore its sheep are also Jewish-Arab. They also claim that they have no certain knowledge about mixed marriages among the sheep, and that lately some difficulties about the conversion to Judaism were encountered in their sheepfold.

This, one might think, is either insanity or some comic fantasy produced in the imagination of a Swift or Kafka. Jewish sheep? The conversion of Arab sheep to Judaism? Surely these things cannot be real. Such distinctions, however, are part of the system of possessive exclusivism which has been imposed upon reality by central forces in Israeli society. The system is rarely discussed at all in the West, certainly not with anything resembling the intensity with which Palestinian terrorism is discussed. When an attempt is made to speak critically of Israel, the result is frightening – if the attempt succeeds in getting any diffusion at all. One small index is the fact that the Anti-Defamation League in America and the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee have each published books identifying Israel’s ‘enemies’ and implying tactics for police or vigilante action. In addition, there is the deep media compliance I have referred to – so that effective, and especially narrative, renderings of the Palestine-Israel contest are either attacked with near-unanimous force or ignored. The fortunes of Le Carré’s novel ‘The Little Drummer Girl’ and Costa-Gavras’s film ‘Hanna K’ illustrate these alternatives.

• RoHa
      August 11, 2014, 5:05 am

” mixed marriages among the sheep, ”

There’s talk of doing the right thing and marrying sheep?

The Welsh and the New Zealanders should feel ashamed.