Our Year-End Campaign: What Mondoweiss Means To Me

Features

Dear Mondoweiss readers: starting today, we are asking for your help to raise $60,000 by December 31. Mondoweiss is a unique news operation that serves an amazing community of activists and thinkers. To continue delivering the quality information you’ve come to depend on—and to make our work even more influential in policy debates—we need you to give, promptly and generously.

Each one of you has your own reasons for visiting Mondoweiss. As we continually seek the best way to serve our mission, we have asked some of our most dedicated supporters to share with us where they find value in our work.

Over the next few weeks, as we ask you to contribute financially to our success and growth, we’ll be publishing their statements in a series: “What Mondoweiss Means To Me.” Please donate, and tell us what Mondoweiss means to you.

To kick off the series, we begin with the beginning: Phil Weiss, who started this effort almost nine years ago:

For me, Mondoweiss is the process by which I became We. I started Mondoweiss as a blog to keep me engaged as a journalist in the internet age. I did not anticipate how my voice on Palestine would serve a keen political need on the part of many others. Before long, beyond any plan I had in mind, the social energies of the internet transformed the site.

As a journalist used to working independently, I have learned and grown by becoming part of a team, a community and a movement. I found a community of people who were more sophisticated than I was about Middle East issues. I learned from them, I put my writing skills to use, and I began doing the most serious work of my life.

Philip-Weiss

Philip Weiss

Today I’m proud to be a member of a community that cares about human rights. And yes, a good number in our community are Jews. I consider that one of Mondoweiss’s most important achievements: insisting that although we all come out of ethnic and religious communities, it’s a big mistake to think these communities are pitted against one another. The world can’t afford that.

And all of us at Mondoweiss—writers, editors, readers—have done our part to show a way forward. Out of identity politics, out of Islamophobia and nationalism, out of, Is it good for the Jews?

When I began, I was excited to have a few hundred readers. Today, the site attracts millions of visitors each year. For all of us on the team here, it is a privilege and a responsibility to engage on the most important issues of our time as Americans who know that we make a difference.

Like any committed member of a community, we strive to measure up to the role we’ve taken on. To be more professional, more reliable, more engaged. We’re more aware of our influence than ever.

I am grateful that the process by which I became We has also established a community where thousands of people gather to work for change. You are already part of this community, because you read and think and talk about the issues. Now, step up and increase your role in the community: please give today.

Your gift allows us to continue sharing essential information and analysis with thoughtful readers worldwide, and to grow for an even greater impact.

Mondoweiss makes a difference in the fight for Palestinian rights, and we want to become even more influential. Please act now to help us reach our goal.

Phil Weiss
Founder and Co-Editor of Mondoweiss

Bringing the Debate to You

About Adam Horowitz, Scott Roth and Philip Weiss

Adam Horowitz and Philip Weiss are Co-Editors, and Scott Roth is Publisher, of Mondoweiss.net.

1. michelle
    December 10, 2014, 1:49 pm

Mondoweiss opens
    minds hearts & eyes
    there should be Mondoweiss t-shirts
    to spread the word of those that spread the word
    i hope the goal is reached twice over
    G-d Bless Mondoweiss

• John Smithson
      December 10, 2014, 6:19 pm

I own one. Got it a few years ago from Phil and Max.

Maybe they could make it like PBS and if you give over $100 you get a free t-shirt.

How about it Phil et al?

Remember when this thing was a yahoo user group?

2. unverified__5ilf90kd
    December 10, 2014, 7:34 pm

I appreciate Mondoweiss because it gives me the opportunity to learn and to document my own frustrations about Israel/Palestine and help to present the truth in a dysfunctional USA where ZIonists in the media work diligently and irrationally to obfuscate the facts, block discussion and protect a greater Israel from criticism. Even a year ago I tried to post critical remarks about Israel and its ZIonist partisans that never saw the light of day. Amazingly, only a year later my critical remarks are shared freely and are already conventional compared with what I can read in some of the MSM. The positive change in the past year has been extraordinary. Only this week Max Blumenthal was invited to publish him opinions by the NY Times. The rapid improvement in disseminating the truth about Israel has improved in part because of the prominent and respected forum that Mondoweiss has offered to those who want a change for the better in Israel reporting. The media prominence of Mondoweiss and its solid reputation has given our forum a huge significance that has accelerated change beyond our wildest dreams. This achievement reflects the diligence and good judgment of our founders. I take my hat off to you and a contribution will follow.

3. Brewer
    December 10, 2014, 8:51 pm

“What Mondoweiss Means To Me.”

I came to Palestine and internet awareness about twelve years ago during Israel’s attempted rampage through Southern Lebanon. My first forays into online debate were prompted by comments in the press and online from someone I now know to be a professional apologist for the Israeli entity. At the time I did not know of the existence of such people and was relatively ignorant of Zionist History. Online debating (Huffpo, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Truthout etc) forced me to seek out the facts. What I learned has profoundly changed my World-view. It continues to evolve and Mondoweiss has played a large part in that evolution. I think I began here shortly after the blog started – debating Historical points but of late I notice I spend more time reading and learning from the many able posters who, unlike me, are steeped in Jewish culture. I have remained a daily reader for many reasons, not least the spirit and humour that sets Mondoweiss apart from the majority. A Mooser quip a day keeps despair at bay!
    Mondoweiss has helped me understand that what we combat is not a nationality, religion or race. It is an Ideology that has been around a long time and is currently still in the ascendant, despite some small gains made for Palestine. We are, in a sense, all Palestinians in that our democracies and cultures are being attacked by this chauvinistic ideology. In recent days we have seen mainstream confirmation of what many of us already knew – this Ideology embraces torture. It therefore accepts no limits. My country’s government is complicit. It affects me.
    Thank you Phil and crew for both the blog and this opportunity to express some of the philosophy behind any contributions I might make to debate.

4. lonely rico
    December 10, 2014, 8:59 pm

An indispensable voice in the search for justice and peace in the Middle East.

5. chuckcarlos
    December 10, 2014, 10:17 pm

everything and nothing

Israel is a racist state running under the pretense of equal protection

which does not exist

shlomo sand who is most enlightening and entertaining

jews who care about justice for all

of course alot more….

Weiss who is married to an Episcopalian getting insulted by some Zionist (presumed Jew) because they don’t have any children…hysterical…for who know what in the hell will happen or has happened…

jews who live off the public dole and general dynamics

annie (who i guess is jewish, more or less) spotting and promoting trends in the current environment to promote equal justice for all

the lies of zionist

jews, are not all the same, DUH!

religious freedom is alive and well in the USA if not in Israel

you got your bad muslim and good muslim, and bad jews and good jews

US government lies, NO SHIT!

one must rely on various persons and outlets for the truth, including conservative stuff and liberal stuff and mondoweiss and al jazeera and electronic intifada and all the rest and filter it yourself for the rest of the media basically sucks

we should reinstate the draft so that every american of the age should get the privilege to fight in all these wars

maybe that will cut down on all this adventurism

and finally Freedom of Speech

I was commissioned upon the directive of Richard Nixon…I had no problem with that…for we all swore an allegiance to the Constitution, which I can find hardly a fault

and finally to Yunus, with whom we used to wait for his return from the Mosque to down a few pitchers of IPA on the street and then Yunus would light up a big stogie….

good work guys…it’s worth it…you bet

6. JLewisDickerson
    December 11, 2014, 4:47 am

RE: “If you would like to know how donations will be used, click here to understand how dollars and cents are transformed into truth-telling.”

MY COMMENT: I clicked on the link and made a monetary contribution (via Paypal) towards Mondoweiss’ superb truth-telling.

WHY TRUTH-TELLING IS SO RARE: CIA torturers are enjoying their freedom — while truth-tellers like John Kiriakou are sitting in prison.*

* SEE: “Torture report’s big bombshell: How a glaring double standard was exposed”, By Jesselyn Radack**, Salon.com, December 10, 2014

[EXCERPT] Here’s what it’s come down to in America. The newly released Executive Summary of Senate Intelligence Committee’s Torture Report lays bare that the CIA makes propaganda its business, and the propagandists and perpetrators of torture are enjoying their freedom. Meanwhile, the Obama administration has made truth-telling a crime, and truth-tellers are in jail.

The Executive Summary of Senate Intelligence Committee’s Torture Report brings to light gruesome and shameful details about the U.S. torture program. It describes horrific acts of human degradation (such as “rectal rehydration” when not medically necessary) and the chilling implementation of policies that specifically authorized the abuse far worse than we ever imagined or were ever told.

The report’s Executive Summary includes a deception section, describing in detail how the CIA systematically leaked classified information about the torture program to journalists who published the agency’s version of events, including “inaccurate claims about the effectiveness of CIA interrogations, much of it consistent with the inaccurate information being provided by the CIA to policymakers at the time.” CIA refused to file crimes reports about these “unauthorized disclosures,” which makes sense since the CIA Office of Public Affairs (OPA) masterminded them.

It doesn’t square, however, with the Obama administration’s unprecedented use of the Espionage Act against more people for alleged mishandling of classified information than all previous presidential administrations combined. One of the people Obama prosecuted is whistle-blower and Government Accountability Project client, former CIA officer John Kiriakou. Kiriakou publicly revealed in 2007 that torture was an official program of the U.S. government, not some rogue pastime of a few sadistic agents. In an attempt to silence Kiriakou, who continued to speak publicly and wrote a book highly critical of torture, the CIA filed six crimes reports against him for alleged “unauthorized disclosures” of information. . .

SOURCE – http://www.salon.com/2014/12/10/torture_reports_big_bombshell_how_a_glaring_double_standard_was_exposed/

** Jesselyn Radack is the director of National Security & Human Rights at the Government Accountability Project, the nation’s leading whistleblower organization.

7. Eva Smagacz
    December 11, 2014, 7:41 am

Done.

8. MHughes976
    December 11, 2014, 11:33 am

I found Mondoweiss a day or so after picking up Sand’s book on the Jewish People in a Boston (I would have been much less likely to come across it in the UK) store – I was looking for reviews and opinions and remember Phil’s lively description of an appearance by Sand in (as I remember) New York. I immediately thought, having read that article and few comments – meeting annie and Mooser for the first time – that here were interesting and fair-minded people. I rapidly came to appreciate how much hard information as well as well-argued opinion about the ME problem is available here. Above all I find MW a representative of genuine anti-racism.

9. chinese box
    December 11, 2014, 9:18 pm

An oasis in the desert of the American MSM.

10. chinese box
    December 17, 2014, 9:35 am

I’ve tried 4 times now to donate–it either tells me there is something wrong with the fields I filled out, or the browser just hangs and does nothing.

• Annie Robbins
      December 17, 2014, 1:44 pm

thanks chinese box, write adam. i’m sending him a note now. this happened to me last week when i was trying to donate to the bds campaign fundraiser. it drove me nuts. but i persisted. the firth time it took my money.

• chinese box
        December 18, 2014, 11:00 am

ok, thank you Annie…I do want to donate…I’lll try again later today. I appreciate everything you guys do.

• Annie Robbins
        December 18, 2014, 1:57 pm

hey, thank you for being here chinese box, and very happy holidays to you and your family.;)

• Adam Horowitz
      December 17, 2014, 2:21 pm

So sorry you’ve had this difficulty. A few people have contacted us saying the same thing and we’re looking into it. Please do get in touch with me at [email protected] if there is something I can help with or if it would be easier you could mail a check made out to “CERSC-Mondoweiss” to

CERSC/Haymarket
      PO Box 180165
      Chicago IL 60618

Thanks again and we really appreciate your support!

• just
        December 17, 2014, 2:56 pm

Perfect! Thanks so much for the snail mail address, Adam.

Happy holidays (Hannukah and Christmas and New Year’s) to everyone~ MW is a bright and shining light.

• chinese box
        December 18, 2014, 11:03 am

Thank you Adam…I just tried again and the donation went through this time.

11. David Doppler
    December 22, 2014, 11:34 am

Mondoweiss has been the crucible in which dual questions have been and continue to be sorted out: what does it mean to be a Jew in America, during the Zionist project in Israel and Palestine? And what does that project mean for America and American values? Martin Indyk put it bluntly to Naftali Bennett at the recent Saban Conference: “you and I live in different bubbles and with different realities.” Bennett dismissed him as “part of the peace industry.” In effect he responded, you, and “the little matter of the rest of the world,” don’t matter. What matters is the strength of the “internal spine of the Israeli leadership,” as we reclaim Greater Israel, what was once the First Kingdom and the Second Kingdom, and is now the Third, whatever we decide to call it, pursuant to the bargain Moses struck with G-d three thousand years ago. Everyone who opposes us is an Anti-Semite, and, besides, we have our technological ways to punish European or any and all other opposition (hey, my company makes the authentication software most banks use so that you can access your money).

But as Paul Krugman’s insightful column in the New York Times today illustrates, conquest is for losers. Building empire by plundering neighboring states in the time of Rome or the Mongols was in part because wealth was objects that could be plundered then, an economic model that only works now in very primitive parts of the world. For the modern global economy, conquest is a negative sum game. Following the Neocon game plan through the Bush-Cheney administration was totally disastrous on foreign policy and economic fronts. The Netanyahu-Bennett formula for the way forward is more of the same: strong leaders, through strength of spine, conquering opposition, crushing those whose lands get occupied until they beg for mercy, imposing order from the top down

But the reality is Israel has to curry favor from America’s Jews because America is the global super-power, and American Jews, by and large, are discovering that the Zionist Dream has become a Palestinian nightmare, that occupying someone else’s land and subjugating its people through brutal strength destroys the character of the dominator even as it destroys the lives of the dominated. Leaders like Netanyahu and Bennett have been seeking to bend the American experiment in service to their colonial endeavor, but America is post-colonial, post-slavery and (mostly) post-Jim Crow. America has been atoning for its own abuses of Native Americans, atoning for its own race-based slavery and Jim Crow past.

America’s institutions of divided and limited federal and state government, universal education, journalistic media, individual rights, separation of church and state, freedoms of religion, speech, press and to assemble and petition for redress, meritocracy and free markets, are all designed to withstand the tendency of strong leaders like former British royalty, or Southern landed-gentry, or robber barons, Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, or, in our own day, politicians like Bennett, Netanyahu, Cheney and Bush, and the so-called Washington elite, to abuse power. America’s institutions are designed to withstand such abuse, suffer through it for awhile, then slough it off in periodic re-inventions of its leadership, its fashions, the make-up of its continually evolving ethnic and cultural diversity.

These limitations on government power lead to many and diverse reservoirs of power elsewhere: in academia, in different branches of government, in journalism, in corporate board rooms, in diverse cities or suburban and rural communities, in unions, in clubs and religious and charitable organizations, scientific societies, faculty senates, intellectual and cultural movements and now blogospheres, and other new social structures enabled by technology and evolving culture. Must all of these reservoirs of power serve one all-powerful central leadership whose strength of spine is all that matters? (Kim Jong-un would say yes). Or must limited central leadership continuously justify itself to these many reservoirs of power, who are free to criticize and reject?

American Jews have contributed greatly to post-World War II America, and have benefited greatly in return, as global economic wealth has expanded for the good of most people. But now the many separate reservoirs of power in America, including American Jews, must choose: the American way, or this ancient tribal re-enactment of failed history enunciated so bluntly by Bennett. Plus sum games, or negative sum games. Phil Weiss made his choice, and created a blog where he, and others attracted to the discussion, have sorted out the facts and their responses to those facts, a sort of American emotional intelligence diary for a special-purpose group created in response to the circumstances of the last couple decades: today’s expression of that which America’s founding fathers put their trust in. Through Phil’s leadership, and willingness to dig for and expose the truth, to acknowledge the consequences of that truth, and to pursue that discussion, regardless of the costs, he has once again demonstrated the strength of America’s commitment to dispersed power, so that society can continuously seek to correct itself, continuously evolve to become more perfect. Phil’s recent headline that we are all anti-American now (in response to the torture report) is, I think, false. It is just past time for America to acknowledge another round of failed leadership, slough it off, hold the scoundrels accountable, and begin anew.

My hope is that enough Israeli Jews read this blog, and compare American and Jewish history and values, and realize that tribalism and racism and religious fundamentalism and deceit and treachery are no match for American and western democratic values. My hope is that through those values they can salvage their own dream of a predominately Jewish political state, if they just open their eyes to the humanity of their non-Jewish neighbors, and those neighbors’ equal rights to freedom, self-determination, and equal voice in the political power that governs them, and, above all, to the benefits of limiting power and holding accountable those who abuse it. My hope is that, with the coming election, they begin their own process of atonement for the many wrongs they have inflicted on the Palestinians to date, and at the same time, turn their attention to ways to engage in plus sum games with the Arab and Muslim world that is their chosen land.

• RoHa
      December 22, 2014, 5:55 pm

“My hope is that through those values they can salvage their own dream of a predominately Jewish political state”

My hope is that they will realize how wrong it is to have such a dream.

12. David Doppler