Invest in thorough, accurate news to build a fair future for Israel/Palestine

Features

At Mondoweiss we are always striving to improve the news and analysis we provide our readers, and in comparison to the rest of American journalism, we believe we’re delivering.

But there is so much more we could do. If you value the perspective Mondoweiss offers, the insights you find nowhere else, it’s in your power to increase our output. If everyone who reads this contributes—whether $25 or $2,500—we can build our capacity.

Here’s what Mondoweiss contributors are investing in: what it takes to bring you the news the mainstream media fails to provide about Israel/Palestine.

Whether it’s IDF violence in Nablus, or power-mongering in the U.S., our responsibility as your eyes and ears is to convey the most complete information quickly and clearly, but most of all accurately. We highlight the voices of Palestinians, Israelis and people around the world whose viewpoints are often suppressed or distorted in the mainstream discussion.

Our commitment to thorough, accurate reporting and analysis requires concentrated editorial time and attention for every post. To accompany the words, we prepare photos and video—essential elements of modern journalism that require both technical skill and sophisticated technology. While other sites rely on large teams of editors, every piece of content published on Mondoweiss is reviewed by Phil or Adam personally. We are fortunate to have a great team of editors and writers in Annie, Allison and Alex, but we need to continue to grow to keep up with the overwhelming demand for trustworthy news from Israel/Palestine.

Meanwhile, alongside the daily writing and editing, we are constantly alert in other ways:

• Keeping an eye on the big picture politically, to ensure we’re following the right stories and giving the proper context.
  • Managing day-to-day operations for the site, from paying freelancers, to moderating comments in our thriving discussion community to ensuring our web hosting remains fast and reliable even when traffic soars.
  • Recruiting and evaluating new writers for Mondoweiss (Join us! Please be in touch with your ideas through [email protected]).
  • Assessing the needs of activists, policymakers and scholars as we consider Mondoweiss’s long-term strategy to increase our impact for social change.

M_200px-square copyThat’s a glimpse at what it takes in labor, energy and effort to keep Mondoweiss delivering and growing. And here’s how your donations make all that happen.

For 2014, our expenses total about $250,000. Sixty percent of that budget was used to provide our editorial team with some livelihood: less than $160,000 for a staff of five. The remaining 40 percent was divided fairly evenly between:

• Web hosting and support;
  • Payments to freelancers;
  • Travel and equipment; and
  • Fees for legal, financial and related services.

By comparison, consider the Israel and Palestine coverage of the New York Times. The Times has a greater commitment to covering the region than most corporate media, with more correspondents on the ground. Clearly, they devote lots of time to gathering and editing stories, and their video and design experts use the best software to make articles attractive and compelling. Their fact checkers no doubt have access to the best databases, and their reporters in Israel/Palestine rely on top-notch interpreters.

We estimate that the Times spends about $1 million annually on the ground for coverage of Israel/Palestine, with probably another half million for editing and infrastructure back in the States.

How’re they doing? On a scale of 1 to 10, where would you put the quality of their reporting? And how would you compare their results to what Mondoweiss produces, for a small fraction of the NYT budget?

Here’s how we see it:

MW vs NYT chart graphic - revised

(Click to Enlarge)

If you agree that Mondoweiss plays a unique and necessary role, invest in our work. With your contribution, we can provide more regular updates on key struggles, and we can expand our reach to new audiences. We can document more of the injustices, more of the double-talk—and more of the growing movement for justice in Israel/Palestine!

Give today to sustain journalism that makes a difference.

About Adam Horowitz, Scott Roth and Philip Weiss

Adam Horowitz and Philip Weiss are Co-Editors, and Scott Roth is Publisher, of Mondoweiss.net.

1. Taxi
    December 15, 2014, 11:34 pm

You guys have always done a great job, by American standards, bringing Palestinian news to the American readers. Thank you earnestly for that.

But you’re losing wider readership and supporters because the news you’re reporting can be got elsewhere and for free; and you’ve also willingly neglected the needs of your blogging community – a community that was a huge attraction to the random reader for it’s steely and well-honed debating skills. Mondoweiss was exceptional and utterly unique in that sense.

Mondoweiss sprung into the spotlight initially for two reasons:
    1- Phil Weiss confessional writing and his choice of independent writers, both jewish and non-jewish.
    2- The eclectic, dynamic and sanguine bloggers who frequented MW’s threads and added inimitable waves of wit and wisdom to the Mondoweiss experience.

Now what you have – for the most part – are severely jew-centric articles that are of more interest to jewish readers than to anyone else. And hardly any articles by Palestinians themselves or other internationals appear in MW now to break the fishbowl perspective – like they used to before.

And you’ve severely neglected the needs of your blogging community, especially of late – seeing so very many brilliant bloggers abandon the sight for its lack of respect for blogger’s time (endless waiting in moderation), and lack of valuing their seasoned perspectives on the israel/Palestine crisis (decreasing freedoms of speech).

All for what? For a fancier typface? Cuz that’s all you’re gonna be left with unless you change course again.

My question to MW editors is this: why would serious bloggers donate money to a site that doesn’t respect or cater to their needs?

You give thanks to the many wonderful writers and random readers of MW but never give thanks to your blogging community – the very people who’ve invested hundreds of thousands of hours combined over the years to help propel MW to a recognized stage.

Mondoweiss began as a vision and now that vision is wearing an eye-patch.

Nobody is sadder than me to see this unfold.

• Philip Weiss
      December 18, 2014, 9:17 am

Taxi,
      So if I bring back the confessional writing, and we sought to cultivate bloggers in the comment thread, you think that would improve the site?
      Im not with you on the professional end: I dont think folks can get that stuff for free elsewhere. It aint really happening yet.
      What do you want to write about that you’re not? What should I be writing about that I’m not?
      Humble of the Hudson Valley

• Taxi
        December 18, 2014, 2:05 pm

Dear Phil,

It’s not necessary for you to bring back the ‘confessional’ but it’s cool if you would consider sprinkling it on Mondo every now and then. I like the confessional because I personally enjoy the mix of literary prose and politics and you’re quite fluent at that – I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who enjoys and learns from them, judging by the numerous responses your confessionals used to garner on the commentary board . It is also refreshing and appealing to hear unfettered honesty in a media-world full of charlatans and self-deceivers . There is soulful insight in your confessionals that is both entertaining and informative . No other site puts out ‘confessionals’ – therefore the ‘confessionals’ add an inimitable and unique quality to the Mondoweiss experience.

“Im not with you on the professional end: I dont think folks can get that stuff for free elsewhere”.

Phil, the Palestine ‘message’ is everywhere now, regardless of who is writing it – and yes it’s out there for free – just google ‘Palestine + whatever topic’ and you get hundreds of thousands of pages and latest news. I know you’ve introduced many new and valuable voices (both jewish and non-jewish) to the American arena that greatly redress the Palestine narrative – this must be absolutely acknowledged and credited. But often Mondo ignores major developments, especially israeli geopolitical ones. I think this is to the intellectual detriment of Mondoweiss. Maybe you need to invite writers who understand or specialize in i/p geopolitics. There’s probably no need to cut down on jew-centric articles as the nature of the site is to give an eclectic fan of jewish opinion, but it would benefit Mondoweiss to mix it up a little and cater for the non-jewish readers who are in full support of Mondoweiss’ endeavors but who have less ‘natural’ interest in jewish internal squabbles.

Israel isn’t just a Palestinian problem (or a USA one for that matter), israel is a Lebanese, Syrian, Turkish, Jordanian, Egyptian, Sudanese, Libyan, Yemeni, Iraqi and Iranian problem. Your sole focus only on Israel-Palestine ignores and understates the wider disaster that israel truly is. If readers were given the fuller picture, not just the Palestine corner of it, they would see israel for what it really is: not just an Apartheid state in Palestine, but a hostile anti-universalist implant that has caused a whole region, with hundreds of millions of people living there, profound loss of life and natural progress. Including articles that cover israel’s nefarious and criminal activities in the wider middle east region and not just in Palestine would then truly fulfill the words of your banner: “The War of Ideas in the Middle East”.

As to Mondo’s blogging community: faster moderation would greatly help revive it some, encouraging skilled (and busy) citizen-analysts to return to the forums. Also, allowing for a wider range of perspectives on the blogs (like you used to) would also give the reader a variety of vantages to mull and not just a handful of repetitive standpoints (remember when articles used to hit over a thousand posts?!).

I know the moderation issue from a practical point has always been a tricky one considering Mondo’s shoestring budget, but maybe a combination of robo-mods and live mods would be a solution. Having a ‘report abuse’ function next to each post is an example of a robo-mod – perhaps there are other robo-mod functions too? But the way the current system is, whereby some bloggers have immediate publishing privileges and others don’t, has the effect of considerably narrowing the debates because you get a handful of the same people debating in real-time, while the majority waits endlessly on the sidelines. This has a dulling effect on the overall debating dynamics and readers of blogs soon tire of reading the same POV from the same small group of people. It’s also frustrating for the non-privileged blogger to be debating a privileged one as their responses are instantly published, giving them the advantage of an immediate second and third strike etc. This is not an equitable platform for the serious debater – especially if they’re having to sometimes wait 2-3 days to get published.

Mondoweiss distinguished itself by having true excellence both in its articles section and its blogging community: like two hands on one body toiling away. I’m sure you’ll agree, Phil, that having two hands is by far better than having one.

Handily yours,
        Taxi

• CloakAndDagger
        December 29, 2014, 1:56 pm

I completely agree with Taxi on the moderation score. I do miss the days when the average number of posts per article were at least 200. It added an air of electricity and dynamism to each topic.

However, despite that, I remain a fan of MW. My criticism is meant to be constructive.

It was also great to have the running list of “latest comments”. Now I have to navigate all over the place to see if anything new was posted – not very productive.

• Annie Robbins
        December 29, 2014, 8:04 pm

the 100 Recent Comments feature has been back for awhile, it’s at the top of every page. http://mondoweiss.net/recent-comments

• RoHa
        December 29, 2014, 8:14 pm

But it seems we can’t go from the 100 comments list directly to the comment. We have to either go to Commenter Profile, find the comment, and then click on the date, or go to the article the comment was posted on and hunt up the comment there.

• light2014
        January 1, 2015, 11:57 pm

I can’t read Arabic so I pasted the Arab paper link to the excerpted English translation. I am almost certain that I didn’t pair the articles precisely. I found it jarring to view an Arab script
        newspaper that spoke from the direct experience of the author and not from theocatic dogma, or political ideology or from the passion to settle scores.

• Taxi
        January 3, 2015, 3:01 am

The so-called “independent” Kurdish writer in the article is drunk on ziocane and falling over himself.

2. Ellen
    December 16, 2014, 2:51 am

Well said, Taxi. I just commented on this under the Glick article. My comment belongs here.

Don’t know what the redesign criteria were, but by doing so, the unique strengths of this site were ignored and destroyed.

It has become almost unreadable. And a disservice to itself.

• Ellen
      December 16, 2014, 2:56 am

Can’t even minimize or close the annoying “join the Mondoweiss mailing list.” Then it blocks the text of articles. Out of annoyance, readers go elsewhere, I imagine.

Not good…..not good for Mondoweiss authors.

3. Taxi
    December 17, 2014, 11:23 pm

It’s just Ellen, me and the crickets here…

Kinda demonstrates my point.

• CloakAndDagger
      December 29, 2014, 2:02 pm

@ Taxi

I am sure many like me do lurk here from time to time, but can’t be bothered to post and wait for hours/days to see it posted and replied to as I posted above.

4. Taxi
    December 18, 2014, 12:04 am

BUT……. I have to here thank the editors for bringing back the ‘edit’ function button TODAY.

That really does make a HUGE difference to the serious blogger. After all, we’re not texting a coupla lines here on MW, we’re penning paragraphed analysis and NOBODY wants to see their typos enshrined in archives for eternity.

So… I thank the editors, from the bottom of my weary pen, for re-instilling the ‘edit’ function again.

Merci beaucoup mon petit editores!

5. dimadok
    December 29, 2014, 12:09 pm

Except that these are not bombs, as claimed under the photo. Accurate reporting indeed.

6. eGuard
    December 30, 2014, 8:10 am

To me, this site is limited because it usually picks the US view at the M.E. region (no Europe, and what’s those other continents). A regular contributor from UK/France/Germany (/Russia/India/Iran) would fit this global issues.

Also, it bugs me that somehow the Jewish Community is the home site. How many staffers read Arabic? Not that long ago even the liberal Zionists we welcomed here (MJ Rosenberg, Beinart, J-Street) about primarily Palestinian topics or interests. But written by a Real Writer. The microscopic shifts is towards anti-Zionist Jewish angle: JVP. Case in point: the Israeli botched stunt to prop up 37 Gaza orphans for PR is under the header … “NYT”

By what I see and read, MW is aiming at a place next to WaPo and NYT. Don’t expect scoops, or feathers ruffled. It will all be solved within the Community. Outsiders are tolerated, but not needed.

• piotr
      December 31, 2014, 4:08 am

This is pretty bogus. People who run this site are who they are, mostly Americans. It is not One Ring of independent news sources on Israel/Palestine

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
      One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

(sorry for the awful rhyme, in the language of Mordor is sounds much better).

But there were quite a few of Palestinian and Arabic voices among the guest writers.

• eGuard
        January 2, 2015, 8:21 am

People who run this site are who they are, mostly Americans.

I don’t see how this relates to my comment, let alone how it can qualify it. In short, I wrote about what MW does, not what MW people are (and I won’t take that bait). I don’t speak Mordor. Also, my first two words say that it is my opinion, which might very well be described correct.

7. piotr
    December 31, 2014, 4:01 am

I pledged that I will not donate until editing of comments is enabled again. Wow! I happened! I edited a comment and donated. With more folks like me, Mondoweiss reporters will be in D.C. 24/7.