Our top ten viewed posts in 2014 — and five most prolific commenters, too!

Happy new year! The past year has been a landmark one in the life of this website because of a horror: the war in Gaza that was so often a slaughter, with more than 2100 Palestinians killed, including hundreds of children, and 73 Israelis, seven of whom were civilians. Gaza drew the world’s attention, and it drove traffic numbers at our site, with millions more visitors than we have had in years gone by, seeking news they were not getting in the mainstream.

In 2014 we had just under 17 million visits to the site. For comparison, last year we had 8.3 million visits. In the last year we published 2,400 stories; here are our ten most viewed posts of the last year:

1. Boston subway ads are shocking– ‘and so is the reality on the ground’ by Annie Robbins, in June: 946,637 views

2. In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza, again by Annie,  820,820 views

3. Report: Hamas offers Israel 10 conditions for a 10 year truce, by Ira Glunts, 221,905 views

4. Why I, a Palestinian-American Muslim, went to the White House Iftar and what I learned, by Tarik Takkesh, 138,169 views

5. Arendt: Born in conflict, Israel will degenerate into Sparta, and American Jews will need to back away, by Phil Weiss, 113,665 views

6. Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to be the WMD of Gaza onslaught, by Adam Horowitz and Phil, 110,535 views

7. Terrifying tweets of pre-Army Israeli teens, by David Sheen, 103,608 views

8. Israeli military announce they will bomb al-Shifa hospital in Gaza, by the International Solidarity Movement, 91,469 views

9. Naomi Wolf walked out of synagogue when they had nothing to say about Gaza massacre, by Phil, 84,919 views

10. White House says US can’t stop ‘tsunami’ of boycott and isolation if Israel won’t end ‘occupations,’ by Phil, 82,697 views

We also hosted 96,351 (and counting) comments! Here are our top five commenters in the last year, ranked by production:

1. just: 5098 COMMENTS

2. seafoid: 4172 COMMENTS

3. Mooser: 4128 COMMENTS

4. Citizen: 3273 COMMENTS

5. Annie Robbins: 3126 COMMENTS

We thank our readers for coming here and thank our commenters for sharing their opinions! We are grateful to you for helping us grow and gain influence. We wish everyone a healthy and peaceful new year!

About Philip Weiss and Adam Horowitz

1. oldgeezer
    December 31, 2014, 1:57 pm

Happy New Year!

Keep up the good work. err make that great work.

2. Rusty Pipes
    December 31, 2014, 2:40 pm

• seafoid
      December 31, 2014, 5:37 pm

Just think how many hoppy could have had if there was any fresh hasbara.

• Krauss
        January 3, 2015, 3:40 pm

Just think how many hoppy could have had if there was any fresh hasbara.

Ha, touché!

• Walid
      January 1, 2015, 11:43 am

“And just think of how many comments Mooser could have made if he hadn’t taken a sabbatical.”

7314, had he been present all year rather than only from May 19th.

3. ritzl
    December 31, 2014, 2:46 pm

Such are engines if change.

Well done. Thanks. Happy New Year and a great 2015!

4. seafoid
    December 31, 2014, 3:06 pm

17 million visits is impressive. That #5 about Arendt was a real keeper too.

• Annie Robbins
      December 31, 2014, 4:11 pm

seafoid, the arendt article is incredible. and something really amazing about it too is that it was posted on January 1, 2012. those totals were from this year alone. for some reason the arendt article started getting slammed in july, during the summer slaughter. it wasn’t even front paged during that time, it was over 2 years old.

• Danaa
        December 31, 2014, 9:11 pm

Your comment Annie, made me go back and read the post. Those were very interesting passages highlighted by Phil. I am trying to figure out what it could be that caused such an uptick in viewership two years later.

That being said, I happened to glance at the comments that accompanied the article. All I can say, is wow – those were the days. Blankfort was still around, Gilad popped in, Witty provided witless commentary (as always,not quite to the point), Robert Werdine with his voluminous meanderings nonetheless gave cause for merriment and some curveball throwing (including the excellent referee action by Hostage) and there were numerous other great commenters we don’t see much around any longer but they sure were good (space will not suffice to list them all, but surely they know who they are). I found the discussion’s overall level to be pretty high, with all kind of facts brought to light, and the tenor to be pretty civilized even though some mighty provocative and controversial things were said, and trolls like eee were at the ready to derail and deflect. I would not hesitate recommending the exchanges on the occasion of this post to anyone. Agree or disagree, there was much food for thought. With everyone being so very careful these days, can anyone blame me for missing those other more heady days – a mere two years ago?

Thanks Annie for bringing the delayed popularity of this post to our attention.

• Keith
        January 1, 2015, 6:40 pm

DANAA- “With everyone being so very careful these days, can anyone blame me for missing those other more heady days – a mere two years ago?”

Interesting observation. To a significant degree I agree, however, I am not so sure that it is a consequence of folks being “so very careful.” For me, my interest has waned somewhat as a consequence of the shifting focus of empire along with the total imperial application of full spectrum dominance to achieve uncontested global hegemony during this final brief window of opportunity. The empire is engaged in open warfare, including economic and cyber warfare, against an unprecendented number of potential rivals, including Russia and China. Things appear to me to be headed for a climax in 2015 and/or 2016 which will result in a restructuring of the global political economy, perhaps nuclear war. Under these circumstances, I cannot get enthused about the happenings at Hillel.

• Danaa
        January 2, 2015, 5:46 pm

Keith, I understand why someone might become a bit sanguine about the Jewish inner tube bobbing up and down in ever more turbulent seas. The best i can say about that tube is that it’s still inflated after all these times, managing to stay afloat thanks no doubt to an obliging media (yes, I mean that last ludicrous post by Brooks praising the idf, among four or five other egregious ones in the past month).

Things do indeed seem to be coming to a head, with 2015 a pivotal year. We may just be seeing the desperate flailings of an empire in decay, but like any wounded animal, those flailings can be quite dangerous to any and all.

I think may be you could think about revising the usual chicken and eggs argument on which beget which – empire or zionism? If you look really carefully at the worst actions of empire in just the past year, be it Ukraine, Russia or Iraq or China or falling oil prices (and now the baseless blaming of North korea for the Sony hacking), a pattern does seem to emerge. In particular, the neocon forces have regathered and gone further afield in their playbook, especially when it comes to Russia bear baiting. It sure seems like someones want a confrontation real bad, even though none of it makes any sense. And by neocon I don’t mean something particularly jewish other than the intellectual underpinnings thereof.

Well, you know my theory: as just about all the realist and sober headed analysts got cleaned out of the state department, and as the access of these realists to the presidency got more and more restricted, what was left is a vacuum of competency into which neocons stepped in, or more like charged straight through the front door. I wouldn’t consider the Neocons to be incompetent (though they are on some level, like all ideologues) because that’s a dangerous assumption. They have a playbook and they are intent on carrying it out despite obvious setbacks. Also, we can’t blame zionism for everything to be sure, but we can say that way many neocons are infected with a uniquely toxic brand of zionism, the kind we see both in the US and in Israel, and not only among Jewish actors. Since the clear-eyed realists are all but gone from positions of power, what’s left is a movable feast of hawkish foreign policy on steroids, propelled forth by a collusion of factors. IMO, the steroids is what turned milder versions of zionism into a robust ingredient in a witches’ brew that now threatens to choke all in its wake (like Europe – that’s choking, isn’t it?).

I believe that somewhere along the line the extreme neocon movement and the worst of zionism (often not readily seen, just perceived by the observant) combined into a most unpallatable concoction. I am not trying to make a simplistic argument here that zionism somehow causes all the evils in the world or that it directs the empire. rather, I see a more subtle process where the zionsim acts as a yeast causing the empire’s neocon cake to rise, even as it overwhelms other more nuanced flavors (sorry for the cooking analogies. Must be the holidays!). I know i should explain better what I mean by “zionism” (everyone seems to have their own definition) but may be this is not the place. I’ll just say that to me it is something like spice (there’s the cookbook again) that can overtake other ingredients (cf. world views), be theysomething related to israel or not. At one point I was partial to The Saker’s definition of the Anglo-zionist forces of empire, but it needs some work to flush out (I assume you know that blog).

Anyways, whatever the causes, I agree that we are about to have a very bumpy ride. And yes, even I/P, as important as it is, is just one rider on the rollercoaster that the world has become. Also, all that being said, I miss Jeff and others who used to frequent the comment section, propelling the wide-ranging discussions that used to occur in the comments (you should know – you were part of some of the longest, testiest and most boisterous exchanges, if I recall).

Happy New Year anyways.

• Keith
        January 3, 2015, 1:56 pm

DANAA- “And by neocon I don’t mean something particularly jewish other than the intellectual underpinnings thereof.”

I will make a brief last comment. While certainly germane to the discussion, my preoccupation with the global political economy does not directly deal with what Mondoweiss chooses to emphasize, nor with the focus of our fellow Mondoweissers. Once again, I am in agreement with you. Our current policy of hyper militarism and blatant aggression had its formative champions in the reprehensible neocons. Alas, it now appears to be formal imperial policy. All potential rivals are under attack of one form or another.

The one thing which I would add to your analysis is that the nature of the empire has changed. I think that the Saker (it was you who alerted me to the Vineyard) tends to view the empire from a nationalistic perspective (as does Pepe Escobar). A desperate, fading US empire. I tend to view the “American” empire as an American led transnational matrix of power configurations involving the major corporations and the global financial system. As such, while the US nation state may be in relative decline, the empire itself is more powerful than ever. It becomes a question of who gets to control this destructive beast. I am in the process of attempting to write about this to hopefully post on my blogspot. It is a difficult topic to discuss, even to formulate in my own mind. The writing helps. The empire isn’t what it was 20 to 30 years ago, and probably not even conceivable 50 years ago.

Enough of the doom and gloom. Happy New Year! For what it is worth, I always enjoy reading your comments. Don’t forget that you are one of those commenters who we “don’t see much around any longer.” Perhaps we will see more of Danaa in the new year?

• Citizen
        January 3, 2015, 3:42 pm

@ Keith

Re: “I tend to view the “American” empire as an American led transnational matrix of power configurations involving the major corporations and the global financial system. As such, while the US nation state may be in relative decline, the empire itself is more powerful than ever. ”

I agree. And Obama just signed yet another FTA, this time for Asia. The 1% is not only a local US phenomena–it’s world-wide and international corporations and banking have the whole ball of governance wax. The world currency will be issued by the IMF (SDRs I think they are called), not the petro dollar. The Fed itself is being supplanted. What happened in Greece & Cypress is an early sign. It’s not a question of “workers of the world unite” for they are already united–as competing victims of exploitation by the 1% already ruling internationally via their global venture capital investments. The economic & monetary warfare is going on hard and fast between US/EU v Russia, China, BRIC states. As Mayer Rothschild said long ago, “Give me control of the money, & any standing army means nothing.”

• RoHa
        January 3, 2015, 8:46 pm

Psst! Citizen, “a local US phenomenon”. “Phenomena” is plural.

• Citizen
        January 4, 2015, 8:40 am

@ RoHa

Oops. thanks for the correction.

5. a blah chick
    December 31, 2014, 3:17 pm

If this is the first year of saying who was the top commenter then by rights it should be called the “Just Award.”

You’re welcome.

• ritzl
      December 31, 2014, 4:27 pm

+10 and a :)

• Citizen
      January 2, 2015, 7:35 pm

@ Danaa
      You are right! As I read your comment, on Fox News, they were discussing the battle between Obama & N Korea; the pundit called upon to explain it to Dick & Jane, was (who else/), John Bolton. Enough said. Nobody on mainstream news TV is countering these old leftover neocons and PEPs, despite the evidence in they’ve been frauds from the get go! Most Americans who watch even a little cable TV news/infotainment have yet to see or hear of, say Walt & Merasheimer, or Max Blumenthal, or say—-Phil Weiss. We are just given the same old sour beef soup, stale as it is, and still even now more dangerous. Nobody’s peddling chicken soup healthy for us all. OH, great, now Charles Krauthhammer is on, saying yes, he can smile while he pontificates and nobody call him on his pretend rational BS.

• Danaa
        January 3, 2015, 12:27 pm

Citizem, watching Fox news is NOT good for your heart. Please be careful with that remote!

6. JLewisDickerson
    December 31, 2014, 3:45 pm

RE: “We also hosted 96,351 (and counting) comments! Here are our top five commenters in the last year, ranked by production . . .” ~ Philip Weiss and Adam Horowitz

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!
    You WILL be hearing from my attorneys any second now. Mondoweiss can sure as hell “count” on that! – http://montlick-website.s3.amazonaws.com/videos/home/work.mp4?v=1

• Annie Robbins
      December 31, 2014, 4:06 pm

LOL! dickerson i adore you!

• JLewisDickerson
      December 31, 2014, 4:22 pm

How much insurance do you guys have? The liability limits in particular. I will encourage my attorneys to reach an amicable settlement with you if that’s possible. For old time’s sake, if nothing else.
      Otherwise, I’ll see you in court!
      And the “severe emotional trauma” you guys have caused me will be well documented by a team of Atlanta’s top tier psychiatrists (and their countless referrals to “specialists” in Manhattan and Beverly Hills).
      That’s another thing Mondoweiss can “count” on.

• Danaa
        December 31, 2014, 7:59 pm

U R 2 funny……

HNY from a 4th tier competitor (with what 1- 800 comments or so? but if they counted actual verbiage, well, I don’t know – might be up there. Can you refer me to your attorney? I would like to challenge the selection criteria)

7. ritzl
    December 31, 2014, 4:24 pm

Such are the engines of change.

Well done. Thanks. Happy New Year and a great 2015!

8. RoHa
    December 31, 2014, 5:53 pm

I assume the commenter rankings are based on the number of comments rather than the number of words. I suspect that on a word-count ranking, Annie would be much higher up the list.

It would be nice to see rankings for:

Sheer Brilliance
    Most Informative (History)
    Most Informative (Law)
    Most Informative (Current Events)
    Comedy Value
    Most Egregious Hasbara
    Logical Rigour
    Accusations of anti-Semitism
    Grammar and Spelling
    References to Monty Python/Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
    Subtle Sarcasm

When and where is the award ceremony?

• RoHa
      December 31, 2014, 7:50 pm

And a Happy – or at least Happyish – New Year to everyone!

• Philemon
        December 31, 2014, 9:34 pm

Happy New Year!

• Danaa
      December 31, 2014, 8:02 pm

I like those categories, RoHa – especially the one for Grammar and Spelling. Should that include least # of typos?

• Philemon
      December 31, 2014, 9:24 pm

“Logical Rigour”

Roha, it would be yours except for that mistake you made about “illicit minor”!

• RoHa
        December 31, 2014, 9:40 pm

Alas, yes. I am now following Mooser’s lead. I avoid having anything to do with illicit minors.

• Philemon
        January 1, 2015, 8:33 pm

Well, if it had really been an illicit minor and you’d called it correctly, you’d have been a hero.

Copi is a great help with all that. Which editions of Copi-write do you have?

• RoHa
        January 3, 2015, 12:32 am

I had a copy of Copi when I was a undergrad, but it vanished years ago. I know I didn’t lend it to Dershowitz.

• Katie Miranda
      January 3, 2015, 2:42 pm

Mondweiss should totes have a prize for Most Egregious Hasbara !

9. ivri
    December 31, 2014, 5:58 pm

In regard to no. 3 in the list of hits: whatever happened with those 10 conditions of Hamas?

10. Blownaway
    December 31, 2014, 7:34 pm

Clearly I have work to do…good thing there is enough outrage to generate some active rants

11. Brewer
    January 1, 2015, 6:24 am

Seasons greetings to all from downunder. 2014 seems to have been the year that Mondoweiss really broke through. Its been a privilege to exchange views with some very good folk here and to watch the site grow in stature.
    Love.

12. Abu Malia
    January 1, 2015, 10:13 am

Happy New Year everyone!

I want to especially thank annie for her robust rebuttal to some really unenlightened comments wrt to Michael Brown murder by a cop. Because the subject was too emotional for me, only the reptilian side of my brain was functional at the time – i would have been very undiplomatic.

Thank you annie, with much love and respect!

13. Kay24
    January 1, 2015, 11:34 am

Congratulations to all. What great contributions to make this website an interesting and successful one. Mondoweiss has become part of my life, and I look forward to another interesting year.

14. Pixel
    January 2, 2015, 7:22 am

Keith, there’s no “reply” option at the bottom of your post so I had to come down here.

You wrote, “…as a consequence of the shifting focus of empire…”

Stick with me here.

1. Sounds like a conspiracy theory, to me.

2. I don’t believe in conspiracy theories — except the ones that are true.

3. Conspiracy theories are not looked upon too kindly, here at MW — until they become mainstream, at which point they are no longer conspiracy theories and no one remembers that they ever were.

Case in point: USS Liberty (the intentional Israeli attack upon this US ship in 1967 while in international waters, which resulted in 34 crew deaths, 171 crew wounded, and a severely damaged the ship. (But you knew that.)

4. I don’t have any opinion on the time frame but I have sometimes shared my feelings, here, that the Israeli gov’t is controlled by sociopaths / psychopaths who wouldn’t think twice about taking Israel out if it also meant taking everyone else out.

5. I’m so old that I grew up in the Jim Crow south when there were actually segregated drinking fountains. Good grief. As a result, it should be no shock that in high school we were taught that WW3 was most likely to be caused by a rogue state in the Middle East using nuclear weapons.

The implication was that it would be an Arab state, which was especially terrifying because no one in Birmingham, Alabama, had ever known an A-Rab let alone had ever seen one. All we knew was that they were maniacs, with crazed eyes, who wore white sheets on their bodies and wrapped on their heads. (Did I say KKK?)

Fast foward a “few” decades: I was amazed when I first discovered that “the rogue state in the Middle East that had nuclear weapons, which might have the highest likelihood of being the greatest threat to mankind” was, of all places, Israel!!

(But, on MW, we’re wise to ixnay the onspiracycay uffstay.)

15. Taxi
    January 2, 2015, 8:03 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR MONDOWEIZERS!

Better roll up your sleeves – the “war of ideas’ battle is gonna get real dirty in 2015!

16. Citizen
    January 2, 2015, 8:52 am

Here’s a juxtaposition of sorts:
    Commentary’s 5th Annual Top 10 World List of Worthy Gentiles http://www.algemeiner.com/?p=241257

17. bintbiba
    January 2, 2015, 10:40 am

HNY Taxi. It’s good to have you back. Your analyses and comments made me go ‘heigh-ho’ she’s back ….. firing all pistons. Great posts interspiced with humor and gung-ho attitude! I love it.

• Annie Robbins
      January 2, 2015, 11:07 am

i agree!

hey, OT, anyone heard a peep from just in the last couple days? i miss her voice.

• Danaa
        January 3, 2015, 2:56 am

just is a she? may be I should ask who isn’t……

HPY to you Annie from a special – and somewhat troublesome – fan.

And I loved to see your posts on top. I know i shared one of those posts on my facebook to great raucus all around. It was fun (and I’m sure got MW at least a few new readers that never knew it existed).

PS I recently discovered a MW reader in one of the most unlikely places in the world. And not even remotely jewish but very interesting. Won’t tell you where but am still trying to figure this one out….

• Annie Robbins
        January 3, 2015, 8:54 am

i’m not sure danaa, i thought about it and just assumed. i miss just tho, regardless.

the worldwide photo post was all i was good for when the war broke out this summer. words completely failed me. but i think the reason it got so many hits is because there was something comforting in reminding ones self we’re not alone in times of stress. i know for me personally i went back to it over and over. it really brought me confidence people all over the world were marching and praying for gaza. and many many of those events were not covered in the msm.

big HNY shout out to you danaa! it’s always good seeing you around.

18. jon s
    January 2, 2015, 1:54 pm

Has anyone taken note that 2015 is the year that Marty McFly and Doc Brown travel to in Back To The Future 2?
    So where are the hoverboards and automatic shoelaces?

19. Citizen
    January 2, 2015, 2:15 pm

Happy New Year to all you regular Mondoweiss commenters, out there! You make my day, everyday.

20. Jackdaw
    January 3, 2015, 1:55 am

To the Fab Five.

Good luck with your OCD.

21. Krauss
    January 3, 2015, 3:41 pm

Oh, and a congrats to Annie, I guess, for having written the two most popular stories(by far).