Video: Racist Israel supporter films himself attacking Toronto students, urinating on BDS poster

Middle East

On Thursday November 6, the man in the video above barged into the Campus Students’ Union office at the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus (UTSC) demanding that a poster calling for divestment from the Israeli occupation be removed from a window. The man was recording the incident on his cell phone as he threatened students and claimed the poster constituted a “hate crime.” He then ripped the poster from the window while ranting about valuing  “Canadian lives,” Israel and seemingly justifying his anger by stating “I’m a fuckin’ Jew.”

A police report was filed but the man returned a couple weeks later after students put up a new divestment poster. According to U of T Divest – Scarborough in a letter to University of Toronto and the University of Toronto Asset Management Corporation, this time the man’s threats were even worse:

Campus police filed a report and said to notify them if the man returns. After a couple of weeks we put up another sign. The man came back. He forced his way into the student union. We tried to calm him down and initiate dialogue. The man replied with, “I’ll rip your fucking throat out” and “I have twelve guys on standby ready”—implying that he or other people will be back. He shouted that he use to be a part of the “israeli” military and regularly killed “terrorists”. Campus police came to the scene and issued the man a Notice of Trespass for the UTSC campus.

In fury, we wondered how a man with no affiliation to the University of Toronto invaded student spaces, threatened students, stole private property, and walked away with just a Notice of Trespass.

Only a Notice of Trespass?  That seems shocking under the circumstances.

Here is the correspondence from the University of Toronto that students shared with Mondoweiss:

letter

According to a member of U of T Divest – Scarborough, the University asked the students to not talk to the media. But after inaction from the University the student says, “we are done being silenced.”

In addition to the video above, the man also took a video of himself urinating on the poster while making racist threats directed at Arabs and Muslims and/or: “Anybody who has a problem with Israel you have something in common – I’m the devil baby I don’t think you want to play games with me.”

Here’s a full transcript from the 2nd video:

This is the poster that was located … University’s window that I removed warning : “This university profits off Israeli apartheid occupied”. You disgusting Arabs, you make me sick. Now I’m gonna show you how sick I really am. I gonna take my dick and I gonna pee, motherfuckers you think I playing games.

Here, hold on a second lemme try on your fucking sign, hold on a second hold on, feel how much I hate you coming here. Just for you guys, you see? Peeing on your fucking assholes. Anybody who has a problem with Israel you have something in common – I’m the devil baby I don’t think you want to play games with me.

See I’m still peeing on your sign assholes, this sign’s going to the garbage. I have no respect for you fucking assholes. ‘U of T’ you call yourself the University of Toronto liars fucking lowlife motherfuckers. There’s your sign, pee’d on, see, you feel good Arabs I pee’d all over you an’ not only that  I got the trophy out of your f’ing office.

Any Arab, or Muslim who disrespects our values in Canada or values of rights here will have to confront my f’ing ugly face, as bad as they don’t want to, this is un-tolerated we are bitches.

In the same letter sent from the students to the University of Toronto and the University of Toronto Asset Management Corporation Students from U of T Divest – Scarborough reiterated their demands:

Why hasn’t the University been held accountable for investing in companies such as Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin, both of which supply F-16 bomber jets and Hellfire missiles to “israel”? Why do our tuition dollars continue to fund “israel’s” colonization and ethnic cleansing of Palestine? The University—rather than addressing their complicity—responded with increased policing of student union spaces and activism. We are not looking for increased policing of activist activities, we want to cut ties with international law violations without facing death threats. If the University of Toronto did not invest in these companies we would not be threatened repeatedly on University grounds.

We demand that the University of Toronto, University of Toronto Asset Management Corporation:

– Immediately divest from companies complicit in international law violations, including all companies profiting off “israel’s” colonization and ethnic cleansing of Palestinian land.
– Apologize and take accountability for the violence and death threats we’ve incurred as a result of raising awareness of UTAM’s investments.
– Ensure safer spaces for student organizers not through increased policing and surveillance but rather by validating our voices and addressing our concerns.

In April 2013 the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU), representing about 10,000 undergraduate students at UTSC, endorsed the 2005 call from Palestinian civil society for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions against Israel (BDS).

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. Marnie
    January 29, 2015, 3:02 pm

It appears security is pretty lax on that campus, but I was impressed with the restraint shown toward this felonious urinator. He identified himself as both a Jew and the devil. That’s interesting.

• RockyMissouri
      January 30, 2015, 10:43 am

He must a relative of Netanyahu. I must say, they were very gracious to him…considering.

2. Bumblebye
    January 29, 2015, 3:03 pm

Twisted twit calls the sign a “hate crime” while shouting vile hate-filled languge himself? Lack of logical processes and insanity seem to be hallmarks of zionism!

3. oldgeezer
    January 29, 2015, 3:19 pm

Well poor ole Jeff is worried his daughter may have to face such signs. It will put fear into her.

I guess this guy would be some sort of hero for Jeffie.

January 30, 2015, 11:27 am

“Well poor ole Jeff is worried his daughter may have to face such signs.”

“oldgeezer” I saw JeffyB’s mention of that, and all I could think is: “Wow, that girl will have to be a regular freakin’ James Meredith to get through a single semester”

4. Cliff
    January 29, 2015, 3:27 pm

The reality is that pro-Israel freaks are the ones abusing people who speak out against Jewish fundamentalism, nationalism and Israeli apartheid.

But the mega-rich Jewish organizations on campus and in our political culture spin this (just as the MSM spins the conflict in general as poor little Israel against the Goliath Palestinians).

5. Karl Dubhe
    January 29, 2015, 3:33 pm

I don’t know what the heck he was thinking, but we don’t like people who take the law into their own hands up here.

If he had reason to think a crime was committed, then it’s up to him to call the cops and let them deal with it.

The campus police don’t have much authority to arrest people (unless things have greatly changed since I went to the UofA) but the regular police do. I hope the student group insists on prosecuting him for this.

He sounds like he’s got one hell of a chip on his shoulder.

• Real Jew
      January 29, 2015, 5:39 pm

There needs to be a crime before the police’s presence is required. And putting up a sign is no crime. However trespassing and destruction of property are crimes and he shouekdve been arrested. This illiterate clown couldn’t even read the sign let alone understand it. He just perceived it as being negative to israe. Typical ignorance and hatred infamous amoung israeli supporters. l.

6. just
    January 29, 2015, 3:44 pm

He should be arrested for his threats of violence/hate speech and his perverted actions.

He sounds as though he speaks with an Israeli accent.

Deport him.

Thanks, Annie. ;-((

• ritzl
      January 30, 2015, 5:14 am

I wonder if he needs a visa to be in Canada.

This is the kind of person Sen. Boxer wants to grant unfettered access to the US. I can see a whole thug tourism industry developing here.

• DavidDaoud
      January 30, 2015, 11:15 am

Just,
      It sounds to me like a combination American/Israeli accent. Many many settlers in the West Bank are just like this man, violent, crude and abusers of alcohol. That taken into account helps me to understand why some Palestinians resort to drastic measures.

7. PeaceThroughJustice
    January 29, 2015, 3:51 pm

Smells like a fake event to me. (Why would an angry protester record a video of himself? And how did the video get published?)

Probably just as fake as those Jewish Zionists who anonymously post “antisemitic” comments into threads about Israel. Only this time it seems to be in reverse.

I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

• just
      January 29, 2015, 5:00 pm

I think it’s real~ very real.

It’s the hubris, PTJ.

• ritzl
      January 29, 2015, 5:10 pm

@PTJ, because it’s a way to get a million likes on his f/b page from his Israeli fan/thug base.

They eat that stuff up big-time.

• hungrydave
      January 29, 2015, 9:27 pm

Because if he’s Israeli, society has taught him that the chances of getting in any trouble by doing something like this are close to zero. Most likely any authorities would turn up to support him and the people he bullies would find themselves in a cell that evening

• jd65
      January 30, 2015, 1:18 am

This was my first thought as well. Fake. But obviously I don’t know that for certain. However, it is certain that whoever it is that did this (batshit crazy dangerous Zionist freak show, or sad desperate misguided Palestinian supporter) is a bad person who deserves some serious punishment. If I was one of the folks who worked in that office I’d be fuckin’ scared.

And PeaceThroughJustice’s question “how did the video get published” is the very important and obvious key. That’s what should be found out. There’s gotta be ways to track that; IP addresses from the youtube uploads account and yada yada yada. Find this asshole and show his face to the world. Shame him for the rest of his life.

Unless it’s totally real and he really is as crazy as you’d guess from the vid, then he’d be beyond feeling shame. Crazy is as crazy does…

• DavidDaoud
        January 30, 2015, 11:32 am

Pay attention to his accent.
        Combination American/Israeli + I daresay a lot alcohol.

8. Chu
    January 29, 2015, 4:01 pm

Did he use the camera so in case he met some opposition & they beat him to a pulp
    he could cry antisemitism?

So much nervousness in his voice, and hatred against them Ay-rabs, but he should know
    it isn’t just Arabs who endorse BDS, the list is growing every month.

Wait to see his mugshot. Seems an important next step if his Jewish community in Canada
    will condemn his actions publicly or will they be silent and exhibit a secret shared pride
    at what this Sabra has done.

• ritzl
      January 29, 2015, 5:52 pm

That’s funny how perceptions differ, Chu. I got more of a sense of “I can’t believe I have to say this more than once!” kind of peevish tone. Like it was virgin territory.

In any event, everyone’s an Ay-rab to jerks like this. And “jerk” is by no means dismissive of this guy’s ability and slightly papered-over desire to do real harm.

• Chu
      January 29, 2015, 8:18 pm

Ritzl,
      I listened to it once more, and although he seems to believe he’s been made deputy of the local hate crimes division, he still sounds nervous. And that could be for acting like such a dumb-dumb in general. Who threatens people and destroys their property, all the while filming it and then posting it? Only G-ds ch-sen people could be so bold.

They should have some sort of emergency station at the campus where he (although not a student) can quickly strap on some tefillin to decompress, as he seems to be on some sort of jihadist bender. The Canadians should really be more accommodating to his insecurities, I’d say.

• ritzl
        January 29, 2015, 11:32 pm

I see what you’re saying, Chu. It was just interesting to me, not a quibble.

January 30, 2015, 3:14 pm

“But now I’m curious what HE was feeling, other than being hopped up on about a gram of crystal meth.”

Nothing, nothing known to science or the arts of medicine, unfortunately, can prevent some people from combining Ziocaine Syndrome episodes with the consumption of alchohol or drugs.

Please, don’t drink and ‘drome!

January 31, 2015, 9:40 pm

Do I have to say “This is your brain on…”? Please don’t make me!

• Chu
        February 2, 2015, 10:24 am

true, this man exhibits all the classic signs of a ziocane bender.

9. ritzl
    January 29, 2015, 4:50 pm

Jewish-Israelis don’t relate to free people well. Maybe not at all. Violence and intimidation are the way and the life, respectively.

Just ask the French PM (Valls?).

• just
      January 29, 2015, 5:09 pm

+1! ritzl.

O/T RT doing a report on “Christian Patrols”/extremism in London/UK~ part of a wider discussion on rising Islamophobia.

• ritzl
        January 29, 2015, 5:36 pm

Yeah just. As the ptb fan the flames of hate to serve their murderous, 52-card pickup, destabilization agenda in MENA, they encourage and nurture the same destabilizing forces at home.

It’s gonna be hell to pay for lighting political fires like this.

• just
        January 29, 2015, 5:48 pm

Well stated, ritzl.

From Yousef Munayyer’s twitter :

“This lady wants Americans to swear allegiance to America before a FOREIGN FLAG.”

read her comment @

~and~

“AUSTIN – They came out by the hundreds from Dallas, San Antonio and Houston, mostly women and children, girls with silver-bowed shoes and pink owl backpacks. They sang the national anthem and prayed.

But less than 20 feet from where the group of Texas Muslims gathered on the steps of the state Capitol in Austin, a small handful of protesters told them exactly how they felt about their visit.

“We don’t want you here!” shouted one. Others yelled, “Go home,” “ISIS will gladly take you” and “remember 9/11.”

“You don’t have to dress that way! Take it off!” came from a woman holding an Israeli flag. “Islam is the war on women!””

~and~

“Texas Muslim Capitol Day is a day-long event at the State Capitol in Austin. It will be held on Thursday, January 29, 2015 and is scheduled to begin at 8 am and finish at about 4 pm.

People from all over Texas will attend, both Muslim and non-Muslim.

We will provide buses to transport attendees there and back, and we will provide box lunches and water.

In the morning, sessions on political activism will be held. In the afternoon we meet with our state representatives.

Texas Muslim Capitol Day 2015 is an opportunity for community members to learn about the democratic political process and how to be an advocate for important issues.”

Sponsored by: “Texas Muslim Capitol Day would not be possible without the support of the many organizations supporting it, including:

American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, Clear Lake Islamic Center, Crescent Youth- Houston, East Texas Islamic Society, El- Farouq, Greater Houston Coalition for Justice, Houston Peace and Justice Center, Islamic Circle of North America, Islamic Relief, League of United Latin American Citizens, Masjid at-Tawhid, Masjid ul-Mumineen, Muslim American Society, Muslim Council of USA, Nation of Islam- Southwest Region, Risala Foundation, Texas Impact, Texas Muslim Women’s Foundation, and many more.”

• Waterbuoy
      February 1, 2015, 12:34 pm

Not all Jewish Israelis are this sick and twisted.
      The vidiot vandal, a former Israeli soldier, needs to look at BreakingTheSilence.org.il where former soldiers reveal their discomfort with their job of enforcing fascist occupation.
      B’Tselem, the Israeli human rights organization which helps Palestinians access their lands in the face of settler harassment and documents war crimes is another.

That said, I suspect that there are more and more brainwashed, hateful idiots like this fellow who are taught from kindergarten that “Arabs” are less than human… much as the Nazis taught their ‘youth’ about Jews. Sick and tragic irony.

• Annie Robbins
        February 1, 2015, 4:33 pm

Not all Jewish Israelis are this sick and twisted.

i agree. and it was not my intention to imply otherwise when i wrote this article. originally i had written i though the man was possibly in a deranged mental state which i suppose implied he had mental disease or something, but my editors thought we shouldn’t assume that (paraphrasing). his words and actions indicate he’s not “all there”.

under the circumstances, for the safety of the students certainly, at a minimum actions like this demand the man should have been detained at least long enough to be examined by a medical professional. that’s my opinion anyway.

beyond that wrt ritzl’s statement “Jewish-Israelis don’t relate to free people well” i do think living the way they do in israel, it normalizes a societal condition where non free people are a way of life. this is accepted as as a matter of “security” there and although they may relate well to each other as free people, in general i think it is very likely they do not relate well to “others” unlike themselves as free.

this is not always a conscious choice and although the man in the video is an extreme example the underlying condition of thinking one can dictate to the “other” as a matter of course, could be much more prevalent in israeli society than one might suspect.

an excellent example of this here: Video: Routine exchange on a bus reveals racism embedded within Jewish Israeli society – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/11/exchange-embedded-israeli#sthash.DLvTHCl8.dpuf

note the man in this video is even trying to be polite (and rational) about it. at the time this video was released on social media the overwhelming response from israelis (in hebrew) was to compliment the man for being such a mensch about it. they were proud of him and felt he was doing a good deed. this is because of how normalized it is in israel to accept not just the unequal status of palestinian citizens of israel, but the idea that they are free people ~ like themselves (while in actuality palestinian citizens of israel are not free the way jewish israelis are even tho most jewish israelis claim they are). an exchange like this in the US would likely be met by outrage by other people on the bus. in israel it wasn’t. why? because (most, i would argue)jewish israelis have a hard time relating to “others” as free people, like they themselves are free.

if one is raised this way it’s not something that can be erased so easily just by moving to another continent. it’s the opposite of the way most children are raised in this country.

10. Pixel
    January 29, 2015, 6:34 pm

Meric Gertler, President
    416-978-4163
    [email protected]

Bruce Kidd, VP
    +1 416.287.7025
    [email protected]

11. just
    January 29, 2015, 7:38 pm

Hate- filled man in Canada says:

“Any Arab, or Muslim who disrespects our values in Canada or values of rights here will have to confront my f’ing ugly face, as bad as they don’t want to, this is un-tolerated we are bitches.”

(is “bitches” a compliment in Israel or Canada?)

In Texas today:

“@imraansiddiqi “Mohamed is dead!” was bellowed out in Jerusalem the night Muhammad Abu Khdeir was burned alive. The chant echoes in Texas.”

12. hungrydave
    January 29, 2015, 9:22 pm

If he really did serve in the IDF, i feel sorry for any Palestinians who encountered this racist bully. Calling the police on him in Palestine would probably result in getting arrested yourself, after they team up with the bully.

13. traintosiberia
    January 31, 2015, 11:46 am

Will PM ( Canada) visit the place and express solidarity with free speech ?

14. traintosiberia
    January 31, 2015, 1:39 pm

The reasons Canada and Australia are seen as friends by Israel lie in things like thse including

15. Atlantaiconoclast
    January 31, 2015, 4:54 pm

16. Atlantaiconoclast
    January 31, 2015, 4:56 pm

Does anyone think this kind of behavior and psychosis might have something to do with the elevation of the Holocaust in secular Jewish culture as the single greatest example of man’s inhumanity to man, and the notion that ONLY Jews have ever suffered so much? Maybe hearing about the genocide of other peoples would create a little less victimization and entitlement?

17. traintosiberia
    January 31, 2015, 5:52 pm

If it were some Jihadi threatening some kids for supporting Charlie Hedbo ,the news would travel to India,France Germany Australia,US and would be scrutinized by the intelligence ,media,and politicians before ending on kind of old canards and double talks-the never ending war on radical Islam.It will come with the future directions for the countries under siege by the radicalism.