Racism is in the air: Video showing racist exchange between Israelis and a flight attendant goes viral

Big story going viral on Facebook and in the Israeli press about a vulgar and racist exchange between some Israeli passengers and a flight attendant on an Israir Airlines flight to Varna, Bulgaria.

Ami Kaufman at +972 cuts to the chase:

The headlines are pretty much the same all over, and include the words: “Watch: The Ugly Israeli,” in reference to what Israelis see as the rude behavior they are notorious for worldwide.

However, few (including mainstream media) paid attention to the little gem hidden in the video, a one-liner that epitomizes the casual racism so widespread in the Jewish state.

The flight attendant refuses to sell chocolate to a passenger (apparently he was busy with another passenger, it’s difficult to discern the exact reason). Things heat up. Then, her sister sitting across the aisle says at 0:28 in the video below: “She just wants to buy chocolate, what is she – an Arab?”

……Of course, this is understandable. The only reason a flight attendant refuses to sell chocolate to someone is because they’re Arab.

#Facepalm.

Few paid attention? Maybe they tried to bury it?  The Jerusalem Post, published the video with English captions (original Hebrew) but skipped mention of the racist segment of the exchange.  It’s difficult to comprehend how casual racism is so embedded in Israeli society that the insertion of the woman yelling her bigoted screed is completely passed over in their coverage. We’ve documented the casualness of Israeli racism before. It’s ugly and sad, something I’ll likely never get used to or expect.

This video exposes that casualness which may be the reason, thus far, it’s gotten passed over by western media. But with all the attention it’s garnering on social media that’s probably about to change.

Haaretz mentioned

one Facebook user wrote in response to the video, “flight attendants from foreign airlines call the flight to Tel Aviv – Hell Aviv. I wonder why?”

Here’s the video and the relevant exchange, translation from Hebrew by Reem Khamis-Dakwar:

Flight attendant: I am not your worker. You would die before I can be your worker

Passenger 1: I want the chocolate. Why wouldn’t you sell me the chocolate. I want the chocolate. What is that. I want the chocolate

Flight attendant: If you think you’re raising your voice and being a little bit more violent so most probably you won’t achieve what you want

Passenger 2: Sister of Passenger 1 from the other side of the aisle: Sell her the chocolate, what is she an Arab? F**your  god (Arabic curse), sell her the chocolate! Do you hear? She paid for her plane ticket sell her the chocolate! Yalla (Another Arabic word)

Lower your tone fast! Sell her the chocolate fast!Ya peace of trash! What is that he is not selling her chocolate? A peace of trash ! You will not sell my sister chocolate.

At this point, the flight attendant approach the sister and told her??Remember my words, To “Varna”(Bulgaria)  you will not arrive

A third passenger sitting next to passenger 1 joined  by a string of curses toward flight attendant.

Thanks to Ofer Neiman and Jamil Dakwar

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. Steve Macklevore
    February 22, 2015, 4:51 pm

Israelis being rude and obnoxious?!?

Surely not! That would just be so out of character.

• ziusudra
      February 23, 2015, 6:09 am

Greetings Steve M.
      obnoxious & comical is that both the flight attendent & the guests are speaking Hebrew. Oy, if Israelis treat eachother as such, it’s their manner & mentality, why should we care?
      ziusudra
      PS Where’s the racist slur? If an American Black called another the N word, no Insult exists.

• Giles
        February 23, 2015, 4:47 pm

A passenger treating a flight attendant in such a rude manner is just fine with you?

What is she, an Arab is not a racist comment to you?

You would be okay with a white American passenger feeling he was not getting fast enough service saying to a white attendant, what, am I an N word?

Where is the racist slur? Please. You hasbarists have got to do better when directing your BS at people who actually think about it.

• Kathleen
        February 26, 2015, 9:59 am

Excuses for very rude behavior. Big problem with that kind of spoiled, rude behavior is when it is used towards others. Specifically illegal settlers using this towards Palestinians for decades. Palestinian children. When Israeli soldiers who are regularly verbally and physically abuse Palestinians. From what I have heard from many people who have been to Israel common and very ugly ways to deal with others. Down right criminal at times.

2. Kris
    February 22, 2015, 5:08 pm

Wow. Is it antisemitic to point out that anyone else would have been arrested for acting out like this on an airplane?

From another report: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4629380,00.html

“When the plane landed in Varna, the flight crew contacted the police to report the attack, but no measures were taken against the passengers.

“A video documenting the argument was posted on Facebook on Saturday night after first circulating in different forums of Israeli flight attendants.

“The Israeli flight attendants expressed outrage and shock at the incident, and asked to add that the violence seen in the video is not uncommon and that they encounter such attacks on quite a few flights.

“It took me a few minutes to take in what I saw in this video and I’m still in shock things like that actually happen. So to anyone who asked ‘what’s so difficult about being a flight attendant’, there you go,” one flight attendant wrote.

• Kay24
      February 22, 2015, 8:42 pm

It seems Israel boasts about tight security in their flights, but cannot control their own people behaving like bullies and racists on their airplanes. There is an element of arrogance that shows in this behavior, and it also comes from the examples their leaders show.

• Kathleen
        February 24, 2015, 9:06 pm

Have heard from international travelers that Israeli travelers often act like this. Know that my dear friend Art Gish who stayed in Hebron for years in the winters while walking Palestinian kids to school as a peace keeping witness for Christian Peace Maker Team
        He said these kind of racist out burst happened all of the time. Directed at children.

3. just
    February 22, 2015, 6:00 pm

Am I gobsmacked? No.

I will re-post part of what I wrote about this earlier today:

“Earlier this week, there was an article about BG airport staff:

“Welcome to Israel, you subhuman
    Re-entry into the country proved to be a humiliating affair, involving an interrogation and fingerprints.”

link to haaretz.com

which prompted this:

“Letters to the Editor / Airport staff should be grounded”

link to haaretz.com

and everyone must know by now about the frequent incidents of ultra- Orthodox men causing a ruckus on flights if they happen to have to sit next to/near a woman.

Why is this tolerated? Is the Israeli society that numb to violence? Is it because they have brutalized (with seeming glee) the Palestinians for so long that now it’s ok to abuse anyone that doesn’t cater to their every whim?”

– See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/02/european-potential-violence#sthash.oQY45Mzf.dpuf

Moreover, this kind of behavior is tolerated in Israel IF it’s done by “settlers” or right- wing, centrist, or even liberal Zionists… who are led by Bennett, Netanyahu, Lieberman, Shaked et al. and the IOF. What kind of ‘security’ and tactics are US police and military being taught by Israelis when they go there to learn the ways of the IOF, Shin Bet or Mossad?

There is something very twisted about this place and the majority of its citizens…the 95%. Empathy, grace, and humanity have been replaced by violence of all kinds, and a surreal sense of entitlement. It’s not only the evident racism, but it is also the threatening violence that made me gasp at first. Who else would be allowed to get away with this abhorrent and threatening behavior on a PLANE?

Thank you, Annie. Thanks to Ofer Neiman and Jamil Dakwar, too!

4. W.Jones
    February 22, 2015, 6:28 pm

One time I was on an international flight and the boy and his Mom behind sitting me were having an issue. The mother scolded him and the boy cried repeatedly in English to stop hitting him. I turned around and told her “You don’t have to hit kids”. She fired back that she did not him, and I felt extremely embarrassed in front of the other passengers sitting right next to me. Then she scolded him really really harshly in Israeli Hebrew, and he didn’t say anything after that.

• W.Jones
      February 22, 2015, 6:37 pm

Then I realized it was an Israeli family.

February 23, 2015, 12:27 pm

My parent used to sing me to sleep with this old folk-song:

“Speak harshly to your little boy,
        And beat him when he sneezes!
        He only does it to annoy,
        Because he knows it teases!”

• Daniel Rich
        February 23, 2015, 5:29 pm

@ W. Jones,

I was raised to the tune of this famous lullaby;

“1dead kitty
        2 dead kitties
        3 dead kitties
        And you ask yourself,
        ‘What’s the rub?’
        And to that I say
        Well, dear boy,
        Be glad you’re a pup…”

Ahhhh, those heartwarming childhood memories…. when a day lasted a year and a year even longer…

5. Bornajoo
    February 22, 2015, 6:37 pm

There’s been a couple of articles in haaretz arguing over the treatment tourists and even Israelis suffer when they arrive at Ben Gurion Airport in comparison to Berlin where quite a few Israelis have chosen to go and live

One of the readers left this priceless comment:

“I lived in Israel for over 20 years and I too left Israel because of it’s Barbarian culture. I have been in Berlin for three months now and I feel that I have escaped the biggest garbage can (or smallest) in the world. Israeli’s are bad mannered, ill-tempered, unfriendly, untrustworthy scoundrels, who can do nothing more than argue and litter the streets with garbage or their constant noise. Anyone now living in Germany will tell you the same, i is as if you finally realize that you have escaped a very badly kept Zoo.”

• Kay24
      February 22, 2015, 8:53 pm

Well, the settlers from the illegal settlements certainly look that way. They behave in such an uncivilized manner, angry, spitting, attacking, destroying trees, stealing trees, even soil.
      You would expect anger from people who have been blockaded, and occupied. But these crude people seem angry even thought they have been given illegal homes to live in, weapons, and benefits. They are also able to get away scot free when they act like criminals, write graffiti, burn and destroy Mosques. It must be in their DNA.

February 22, 2015, 8:57 pm

” It must be in their DNA.”

In their DNA? Yeah, they wish.

• Marnie
        February 23, 2015, 12:41 am

A friend of mine has enrolled her son in karate (this is in the SoI). She has raised her 2 children to be polite, respectful, not to start fights or join in fights. The year before last, there was some ruckus between a couple of kids and her son was involved. She chastised her son and the mother of one of the other boys told her she was turning her son into a chump and if he didn’t learn to fight he’d be picked on all his life and be seen as a fool. Maybe that was the crazy philosophy of one mother, but the behavior of these women and the random dude is not the exception but the rule, having witnessed so many exchanges like this myself – in the grocery store, at the bank, the post office, the shuk, the street, the malls, etc. I believe there is some national pride over this kind of behavior. What’s the message – Israeli Jew’s are strong, they don’t take shit from any outsiders (non-israelis) or each other. Like Bennett’s campaign slogan – no apologies. Just another day in the zoo.

February 23, 2015, 6:38 am

Like Bennett’s campaign slogan – no apologies.

yeah that’s what i thought of, just wrote that before i saw your comment.

• Pretext
        February 23, 2015, 9:18 pm

Everybody needs to prove how strong they are, and everybody is terrified at the prospect of being taken for a sucker.

• Kathleen
        February 26, 2015, 10:01 am

“it must be in their DNA” is racist. I truly believe learned behavior. Have and continue to get away with outrageous sometimes criminal behavior. Culturally learned. I believe some of it springing from the “chosen people” hooey.

• eGuard
      February 23, 2015, 4:44 am

even Israelis suffer when they arrive at Ben Gurion Airport? “Even” – compared to what? Are you trying to say something different?

• Bornajoo
        February 23, 2015, 6:23 am

Sorry bad choice of words. What I meant was that they are rude to everyone including each other

• ziusudra
      February 23, 2015, 5:45 am

Greetings bornajoo,
      Willkommen Junger,
      This Airline is an incident, today we read of similar incidences. Allow me mine.
      After having spent 15 yrs. in Germany, i got an offer from my Company to work at JFK with a promised progressing salary.
      In N.Y., it didn’t work out as promised. One day the Union walked in & i was the only one who joined up. The Company documents’ driver, who himself had previously tried to bring in the Union in the past noticed that i always had my lunch & breaks with the group of Black Americans in the warehouse, where we would discuss, Sports, Politics, Race etc. As the one month Trial for the Union tallied, said person spread the News that my having been in Germany, i only discussed the atrocities committed against Euro Jewry with delight. It ne’er happened, but it turns out he was a Jew! There was a French Co. renting space in our offices, upon hearing of my crimes, he appraoched me with catholic guilt of how i could do such a thing & refused to consider my standpoint, that he, the Jew, would ev’er make up such a tale. Incidentally, the Frenchman was a Karate expert.
      ziusudra
      PS having grown up with Jews in Williamburg, this behavior is possible, but not all are like that. I find it is more that some of the ex Polish or Russian Jews behave in such manner. Some days, your are a saint, other days a demon. It has nothing to do with you.
      PPS Germans are bossy, ex German Jews can also be bossy. It’s more mentality + Jew, not necessarly being a Jew.

• Bornajoo
        February 23, 2015, 6:53 am

Greetings Ziusudra
        So the French Catholic karate expert wholeheartedly believed the Jewish guy and more or less automatically believed you were in the wrong. I suppose you were a bit too low down in their hierarchical world views!
        Regarding your other point, we are not discussing Jews, we are discussing the rudeness of Israelis. Not all Israelis of course, but there does appear to be a prevalence of rudeness amongst a large number of them.

February 23, 2015, 11:01 am

Israelis, rude? Huh? I just got done with an Israeli on another thread. He seemed to be exquisitely sensitive to word-choices. I said “goddam” and he went all to pieces.

And ever since then, the No. 26 which goes down my street, stops in front of my house and revs his engine threateningly!

And I’ll be damned, damned to hell and back if I ever, ever let an Israeli talk down to me again.

So we live here, in the US, (and all over the world) with no protection whatsoever, and we manage. They live where they are special by law, have a superior position, and they screw everything up. I’ll be damned if I will be talked down to by them.

• gamal
        February 23, 2015, 11:13 am

“the No. 26”, you are in more trouble than you realize,

“The letter yud is the first letter of God’s essential Name Havayah (whose full value equals 26)”

Go round the corner and get the 68.

February 23, 2015, 12:30 pm

“Go round the corner and get the 68.”

Maybe I’ll just take one of the cars. For some reason, I don’t trust buses anymore.

• ziusudra
        February 24, 2015, 6:29 am

Re.: Bornajoo,
        tks for talking to me.
        If we are talking Israel & Israelis, we’re talking Euro Jews that became Israelis.
        You took them out of Europe, but they, some of them, brought their mentality along. They acted in the same manner in certain parts of Europe.
        I beg to differ that a Mizrahi Jew would behave in such a manner.
        That’s why i say mentality comes first.
        Take care, B.
        ziusudra
        Have a chat with a Calabras & a Roman Italian, you’ll note the difference. This is not criticism of one or the other.

6. matter
    February 22, 2015, 6:44 pm

re: ” what is she – an Arab?”

Rahm Emanuel’s terrorist father uttered the same words in 2008 when Rahmbo was appointed Obama’s chief of staff, to suggest that Rahm would be a big macher in the Obama junta.

Rahm had to issue a weaselly statement that his father did not speak for him.

7. pabelmont
    February 22, 2015, 7:28 pm

Once my (Palestinian-American) wife was standing in a queue that everyone in line thought moved forward far too slowly. An Israeli in the line gave expression to the universal anger. “We are being treated like natives,” he said. So: “natives” rather than “Arabs”. This was in America. She reported this story to me because she was personally offended (although involved only as a bystander).

• Real Jew
      February 24, 2015, 8:58 pm

she was personally offended (although involved only as a bystander)”

As she shoukd have been. Speaking of racism at the workplace, i own a small business and one day a bitter old woman came in with a distinctive israeli accent. When i told her the price she complained relentlessly. When i told her when her project would be done she complained relentlessly. She was so irate i nearly told her to leave. After about 10 minutes of this she looks at me and says “you do business like an arab”. Being that im half Palestinian i guess i was only allowed to be half offended.

• just
        February 25, 2015, 9:05 am

Thanks for sharing that, Real Jew.

“After about 10 minutes of this she looks at me and says “you do business like an arab”. Being that im half Palestinian i guess i was only allowed to be half offended.”

That’s “it” in a nutshell, isn’t it???

8. Stephen Shenfield
    February 22, 2015, 7:41 pm

I have a vague childhood memory of a teacher at cheder (Jewish religious school) — I think she was an Israeli — referring to a badly behaved child as a “lobbus” (Yiddish for “little monster”). Her tone was one of affectionate amusement rather than condemnation.

February 24, 2015, 7:08 pm

“Her tone was one of affectionate amusement rather than condemnation.”

I remember when they caught me, on Torah-knowledge examination day, with a list of ‘begats’ inscribed on my shirtcuffs. You never saw such a fracas! I almost didn’t get Bar Mitzvahed over it.

9. a blah chick
    February 22, 2015, 8:26 pm

February 23, 2015, 12:38 pm

“This is what happens when you instill in a people a feeling of entitlement since birth.”

In a stratified (especially one stratified along such bullshit lines!) society everybody is always anxious and/or aggressive. You’ve got all those people either trying to demonstrate they are worthy, entitled to the superior positions, and all those people resentful of inferior positions, and all of it deadly serious because of the economic and legal implications (as well as the social and psychological)

Good job Zionists, you’ve created the Nuju and they’re a mess.

10. Mooser
    February 22, 2015, 8:36 pm

But, but, aren’t they all Israelis? The passengers, and the flight crew, too? I mean, hey, we’re all Israelis here! Friends, roaming countrymen, where is your ex-ibal trunity?

11. American
    February 22, 2015, 8:37 pm

Israel does not deserve to exist.

Max [email protected] · 3h 3 hours ago
    Environmental terror MT @annepaq: Israel flooded mid Gaza and the sea with wasted water. Sea turned horrible brown.

click Max’s twitter and look at the picture, its horrible.”

Max [email protected] · 7 hrs7 hours ago
    Israel opens dam to flood the Gaza Strip: http://www.worldbulletin.net/world/155485/israel-opens-dam-gates-flood-gaza … This terror is like a ritual:

Max Blumenthal retweeted
    Dr.Bassel [email protected] · 17 hrs17 hours ago
    Israel opened #Gaza Valley Dam this morning.that led to the sinking of dozens of houses that belong to Gazan citizens
    Gazans flee floods caused by Israel’s dams opening – Al Jazeera English

Al Jazeera‎ – 12 hours agoAt least 80 Palestinian homes have been flooded after water levels in the Gaza Valley (Wadi …

The hasbara crowd is out saying there arent any dams….they lie….I checked wiki for water map and there are dams.

12. Palikari
    February 22, 2015, 9:33 pm

Disgusting attitude.

This does not represent most Israelis. But of course, you’re using it to demonize an entire nation.

February 23, 2015, 6:49 am

i am? and what to make of +972, ynet, jpost and haaretz? are they too using it to demonize an entire nation?

• Marnie
      February 23, 2015, 7:00 am

What’s more disgusting is the plane full of stone silent passengers who chose to look the other way instead of speaking up for the staff and telling the family circus to STFU. Israeli’s demonize themselves 24/7 and then are stupid enough to immortalize it with selfies or cell phone video – go figure Palikari! Maybe you could provide seminars to Israelis on the do’s and don’ts of acceptable social behavior outside one’s pig stye/settlement/moshav/kibbutz or Tel Aviv ghetto/tenement, etc.

February 23, 2015, 8:32 am

stupid enough to immortalize it with selfies or cell phone video

i don’t think it was stupid to take this video. it was likely taken by another flight attendant. not everyone in israel is rude (i’ve been there, they are not all rude). maybe it was taken by someone tired of this sort of abuse. see the quote from haaretz above.

• just
        February 23, 2015, 8:48 am

well said, Marnie.

“Palikari” (how I dislike your moniker!)– there are many examples of this kind of racism and rudeness. It’s previously been carefully cultivated and hidden, but today almost everyone has a cell phone and cameras are everywhere. Funny that Israel “loses” precious documentation of its abuses and crimes against Palestinians and ‘others’ though.

• Marnie
        February 23, 2015, 8:55 am

Annie –
        I was thinking about the soldier who took a selfie with a Palestinian man who was blindfolded; the girls who took pictures with the slogan that racism was a value, the various video on youtube of israelis humiliating Palestinians. There is a huge amount of this stuff. I’m glad this video was made and it sounds from the article that it was done by an airline employee.

February 23, 2015, 9:01 am

speaking of which, remember that article by david sheen with all those teen girls taking selfies of themselves bragging on their own racism? outrageous.

• just
        February 23, 2015, 9:14 am

I think this is the article by David Sheen that you’re talking about:

• gamal
        February 23, 2015, 10:12 am

“Palikari” (how I dislike your moniker!)” why are you an opponent of Greek independence from Turkey?

or sturdy young men : παλληκάρι

February 23, 2015, 4:20 pm

yes that’s it just, thank you

February 23, 2015, 11:07 am

“But of course, you’re using it to demonize an entire nation.”

Nobody pays me to do PR work for Israel. You bet I want them “demonized”! I’m not going down with their airplane cause we have the same hook in our nose, buddy.

• Giles
        February 23, 2015, 7:22 pm

Well, I can finally stop saying that nothing good has come to America out of Israel.

The image of the “Ugly American’ is now quite quaint.

February 23, 2015, 7:37 pm

“The image of the “Ugly American’ is now quite quaint.”

I hope so. I read “The Ugly American” (by Eugene Burdick and William Lederer) and the “ugly” American is actually the hero of the book (insofar that it has one), as opposed to the “pretty Americans” who meant the inhabitants of the SE Asian country the book is set in no good, in spite of their “pretty” appearance. But the phrase “Ugly American” came to mean something else, oddly enough

• ziusudra
        February 24, 2015, 6:41 am

Greetings Mooser,

…Hook nose…..
        You tickle me, Mooser.
        It ain’t the hook, it’s the size when view from a asian eye, it tickles them that we all have blob Jobs in our faces!
        ziusudra
        PS 2 shekels will get you 5 that my classy greek hook is bigger than yours!

February 25, 2015, 11:03 am

“PS 2 shekels will get you 5 that my classy greek hook is bigger than yours!”

Yes, but have you got a dewlap?

March 4, 2015, 1:21 pm

No, it’s not a goiter, it’s a dewlap!

• Cliff
      February 23, 2015, 11:31 am

‘Palikari’ said:

Disgusting attitude.

– See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/02/racism-is-in-the-air#comment-749352

Look at your fucking username. That’s also disgusting attitude and you’re the one demonizing an entire nation.

• pjdude
      February 23, 2015, 11:51 am

you’d have a point if this was an isolated incident but its just one more in a larger pattern. that such displays are so easy to find and pop up so often shows that yes this does represent most (jewish)Israelis

February 23, 2015, 12:40 pm

Palikari, don’t you have another barrel in that pop-gun of yours? You take one shot and run, every time.

• Kris
        February 24, 2015, 4:17 pm

Mooser, I bet that, like most workers, “Palikari” is being forced to do more and more tasks in less and less time. So he reads headlines, types up a brief comment in reply, and moves on to the next story or website.

He’s not being paid to discuss anything, he’s being paid to create an impression of widespread Zionist sentiment online.

• Kris
        February 24, 2015, 4:52 pm

Think of all the “Palikaris” posting as fast as they can, everywhere that they can, to create a big pro-Zionist impression across the internet. Why? Because of the “bystander effect.”

“The bystander effect occurs when the presence of others hinders an individual from intervening in an emergency situation. Social psychologists Bibb Latané and John Darley popularized the concept following the infamous 1964 Kitty Genovese murder in Kew Gardens, New York. Genovese was stabbed to death outside her apartment three times, while bystanders who observed the crime did not step in to assist or call the police. Latané and Darley attributed the bystander effect to the diffusion of responsibility (onlookers are more likely to intervene if there are few or no other witnesses) and social influence (individuals in a group monitor the behavior of those around them to determine how to act).”

Key to Palikari’s job is the fact that people tend to want to go along with the prevailing beliefs and attitudes. Zionists need to keep the general public convinced that the prevailing opinion is that Israel has a right to continue to victimize the Palestinians with impunity. So he needs to post as fast and in as many places as he can. It’s about creating the impression of quantity.

I heard an interesting discussion about the bystander effect on CBC radio a few days ago. The best thing to do in a situation where help is required is to speak up immediately on behalf of helping the victim; this tends to mobilize the other people to help rather than to move away.

February 24, 2015, 8:59 pm

“So he reads headlines, types up a brief comment in reply, and moves on to the next story or website.”

Ah, I get it, he’s on an hourly wage, and I guess some of the others get paid-by-the-word.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      February 24, 2015, 2:04 pm

I’m guessing it represents quite a lot of them. Israeli tourists are notorious in many parts of the world for their obnoxious, penny pinching, tribalist behaviour. Guest houses in places like Nepal and Thailand often have a ‘No Israelis’ policy, based on long experience of anti-social behaviour by Israeli guests. My brother – who I’m ashamed to say is actually quite pro-Israel – said that when he was travelling in South America, the first question a lot of people would ask when booking a bus tour was ”Have any Israelis booked on this trip?”. If the answer was ‘yes’, they would ask to be placed on another bus.

Now, of course you’ll have the ready-made ‘antisemitism’ excuse ready to roll, but it’s a bit unlikely that hotel owners in south Asia are going to turn down business based on prejudices alien to their part of the world, is it not?

13. Whizdom
    February 22, 2015, 9:39 pm

If you hate long enough, you become that which you hate. It becomes you.

14. Taxi
    February 22, 2015, 11:35 pm

First of all, is the israeli airline so frigging cheap that they actually charge for a bar of chocolate on international flights?!!!

Secondly, I’m not in the least bit surprised at this kinda racist behavior coming from israelis. Seen it all too often on my travels.

Thirdly, it would seem that South Korea is by far a more just and civilized country when it comes to airline rage: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2950426/Nut-rage-Korean-Air-heiress-tantrum-halted-served-snack-bag-JFK-handed-one-year-prison-sentence.html

Finally, true story: I was in a hotel in Cyprus a couple of years ago vacationing with friends and their very pretty teen girls. One of these girls had an ugly teen stalker who was also a guest staying at the same hotel. She pointed the stalker out to me in the hotel lobby – I walked up to him, surreptitiously, and determined he was israeli because he was loudly talking on the phone in hebrew. Next day, I saw him at the reception with his even uglier mother and father – I walked straight up to them and said to the father: “your son is stalking my daughter and her brothers are hizbollah fighters from the south of Lebanon”. (Of course I was lying). The israeli trio, in shock at my words, took a step back as the father said: “it’s not true, my son doesn’t talk to Arabs”. “And Arabs want their lands back”, I quipped. “Am isarel chai”, the bugger father instantly replied. “We’ll be seeing your son on battlefield then”, I smirked and walked away. Two hours later, I saw the family checking out of the hotel. I followed them out to their cab and made a big fuss waving them good-bye as their cab drove away. (lol!).

It would seem to be the case that if you wanted to shut up an aggressive israeli, all you have to do is mention the name ‘hizbollah’. Works like a charm.

• just
      February 23, 2015, 8:16 am

You are a brave sort, Taxi!

(I never got a free chocolate bar when I flew economy class ~ at least not that I remember! When I saw/read about this, I thought they were buying duty-free junk!)

February 23, 2015, 8:29 am

that’s my understanding too. maybe chocolate is more expensive in israel and it’s a hot duty free item.

February 23, 2015, 11:15 am

Oh you don’t need to mention Hizballah! I once argued an Israeli to a standstill. He was working for a Seattle “developer” (and that’s another story and it’s in the papers) and was trying to sell me some property. I told him how I felt about Zionism (you know how it is, tribal unity made us intimate, quickly, and I am very good at ingratiating myself, as anybody can see.)
        He said we could “agree to disagree”. See how easy that was?

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      February 24, 2015, 3:45 pm

Did you pronounce it ”Kheezbalakh” just to be sure they understood?

• Taxi
        February 24, 2015, 4:20 pm

LOL Maximus! I didn’t, but I shoulda.

I actually addressed them with a posh British accent – something I picked up flawlessly when I lived in UK for 2+ decades – I use the accent as a weapon against obnoxious strangers in 5 star hotels and other sundry and such locations.

But it was really a question of boundaries and making these boundaries clear to strangers when they trespass them: my friend’s teen had asked the israeli stalker to stop following her (around the hotel compound) and he didn’t respect her wishes. And that’s another common antisocial israelis trait: they don’t understand boundaries with strangers. Or land.

• RoHa
        February 24, 2015, 10:37 pm

“I actually addressed them with a posh British accent ”

I’ve got one of those. Very useful at times. Combined with old fashioned, reticent, courtesy it gets amazing results in Asia, and especially those bits that were once British. Scares Americans. They think you are a super-villain.

15. piotr
    February 22, 2015, 11:45 pm

The attendant was pretty rude as well. What I found particularly funny was an article, I guess in Ha’aretz before paywall, describing complaints of inhabitants of Tel Aviv about the rudeness of French tourists. It totally beats me in what way they were different from the natives.

Then there are interactions between Israeli tourists and Polish waiters (clash of incivilities?). Luckily, the counties do not share a border, so incidents did not rise to international conflicts.

And there are also Chinese tourists. http://www.jeraldinephneah.me/2014/08/5-reasons-why-prc-tourists-are-so-rude.html

16. Cliff
    February 22, 2015, 11:59 pm

Israel is such a shitty country full of these brainwashed crazies.

More proof that this conflict attracts attention – not because of Jews – but because of the injustices faced by the Palestinian people.

Jesus, can you imagine having to live next to the Israelis for all these decades? Never mind the massacres – think about the CASUAL, DAILY hatred you would face with no end in sight.

17. bryan
    February 23, 2015, 3:15 am

Once upon a time air stewards and stewardesses, compelled by their occupation to wander around the diaspora, were notorious for their meek obsequiousness and servility. But now we see the rise of ‘sabra’ air-crew: proud, self-confident and simply unprepared to take sh*t from their customers. Wonderful.

Seriously though, where does the notorious Israeli rudeness come from? Some put it down to the indulgence of Israeli child-rearing practices, derived from the neglect of discipline within communal institutions like the kibbutz. That surely explains nothing: child-rearing practices all around the Mediterranean are more indulgent than in northern Europe, but this has not undermined the extreme hospitality and politeness of Arab society. (*) Some put it down to universal conscription, but again, countries like Britain once had national service yet this produced well-integrated individuals knowing exactly how to play by the social rule-book. Some put it down to the experience of the “intifadas”, of not knowing when the next bomb might go off, that bred a stridency and impatience and self-assertiveness, but the Northern Irish experienced similar exigencies, and yet this produced respectful, generous and very polite foreign travelers. Some put it down to having a hotch-potch of recent immigrants that have not yet had time to be assimilated into a proper national culture, but our trans-Atlantic cousins have a similar background, which has produced the ritual etiquette of constant injunctions to “have a nice day” and respect for sales assistants. The best explanation is perhaps that building a small embattled state that has constantly had to raise two fingers against international norms and instinctively assumes that everyone hates you and seeks your imminent destruction breeds a boorishness and truculence that utterly permeates society, from the highest ambassador of the nation to the lowliest budget tourist heading for Bulgaria.

(*) Tony Horwitz (Baghdad without a Map, and Other Misadventures in Arabia) puts this delightfully: “The first thing you notice, coming to Israel from the Arab world, is that you have left the most courteous region of the globe, and entered the rudest. The difference is so profound that you’re left wondering when the mutation in Semitic blood, as though God parted the Red Sea and said: “Okay, you rude ones, keep wandering towards the Promised Land. The rest of you can stay here and rot in the desert, saying ‘welcome, most welcome’ and drowning each other in tea until the end of time”.”

February 23, 2015, 6:29 am

bryan, i think part of it is a sort of badge of honor bestowed on the rude for being a non-sucker (as i recall, there is a hebrew word for sucker, and nobody wants to be one – or something). even to the point of naftali bennett’s election commercial ‘don’t apologize’ (paraphrasing) w/numerous little scenarios of dupes being duped. it encourages the rude. but i don’t think, as you say, that it “utterly permeates society, from the highest ambassador of the nation to the lowliest budget tourist heading for Bulgaria”, there are some israelis who are polite and nice and caring and probably a few who don’t believe “everyone hates you and seeks your imminent destruction “.

• Marnie
        February 23, 2015, 6:55 am

“i think it probably started w/the idea of building the new hebrew man (tough)… an idea that sort of went hand in hand with zionism back in the early days. and then it was probably compounded by justifying the actions of the state.”

I think you hit the sabra on the head with that Annie and Ilan Pappe touches on that point also – down with the pale, humble european Jew and in with the SuperJew – fearless (I think fearlessness is being conflated with impulsiveness ala Bennett in his army days), unyielding, uncompromising, takes what he wants when he wants it and with absolutely NO APOLOGIES. Barf.

• pabelmont
      February 23, 2015, 9:19 am

You’d need a psychiatrist to say why rudeness and loudness, etc., have become national Israeli markers. Why isn’t there such an article, and long ago? As I am not a psychiatrist, I’ve imagined that a country built and based on robbery, unearned entitlement, taking and sneering, simply ingrained aggression into daily manners. But that’s my anger talking, not knowledgeable intelligence. Also, perhaps, the transition (so many years ago) from meek diaspora Jews to aggressive fighting Jews would have severed the inhibitions on beastliness. (Recall the rape and murder and assassination and looting and robbery, 1948, by these so-recently de-diasporized Jewish soldiers?) And since Israeli Jews use terrorism and violence against themselves in the political arena, perhaps there’s a tendency to find violence and violent manners useful: those with more of it prosper. Look at the settler and nationalist movements taking over and erasing the so-called “left” — seems the “left” are frightened to show their heads, a proof of the utility of violent manners (and violent behavior).

• Moe Odatalla
        February 24, 2015, 9:39 am

I’ve read about a group called “Good Night, Left Side,” or something to that effect. It’s like moderates and apologists in Israel are labeled as unpatriotic by their own, where I only see them as civil people with the right idea…

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      February 24, 2015, 2:53 pm

Good post, bryan.

I agree. There are lots of factors which might contribute to the notorious Israeli rudeness, but as you say, these factors can be found in other societies, without resulting in rudeness as the norm.

I think you are right in saying that the clincher is the ”The whole world wants to push the Jews into the gas chambers” mentality, whereby it’s not only OK for Israelis to give the rest of the world the finger, it’s actually a good thing. It shows that the Jews are no longer the grovelling victims of the ‘diaspora’. There’s also a huge amount of tribalism involved. Israelis are known for sticking together like limpets when abroad – then again, they tend to be so obnoxious that nobody else would want to be with them anyway. It’s the old mentality of how all gentiles are inherently antisemitic – even if they don’t know them – so they gotta stick together out of self defence.

• Bornajoo
        February 24, 2015, 3:15 pm

@mdm
        Your comments are spot on. I lived in SE Asia for 4 years in the late 80s early 90s and there were signs up outside hotels and guest houses saying “No Israelis”. I never saw one other nationality banned, just Israeli. And boy do they stick together. They literally take over and occupy certain establishments and they all head straight over to those places when they arrive already knowing that this is an Israeli safe house. They even put Israeli flags on the roofs and have menus in Hebrew. It’s just horrible!

They are such a fucked up bunch of paranoid xenophobics who think every other person on planet earth is a natural anti semite that they only feel safe in each others company. Their homing instinct is to take over and occupy certain spots wherever they go. They do that part very well

If anyone travels to Thailand, India, Nepal, Myanmar, Philippines…. Just ask the people in the tourist industry who the worst tourists ARE.

Oh and before all the righteous zionists come back at me, this isn’t anti semitism.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        February 24, 2015, 3:51 pm

Snap bornajoo! I made a similar comment above about how many guesthouses in Asia have a ‘No Israelis’ policy – and how horrible must they be if hoteliers are actually turning down their business? I have heard Israeli tourists are incredibly arrogant, tight fisted and horribly culturally insensitive.The Israeli flags on the roof is a new one for me though….. incredible!

And of course it’s the classic self-fulfilling prophecy. These Israelis, fresh from their military service, are imbued with the ‘everyone hates us’ mentality, and as a result, go around the world acting as though they were still touting their guns around the West Bank. And of course, as a result of their obnoxious behaviour, it ends up that everyone DOES hate them, but the whole ’cause/effect’ thing is alien to their thinking, so it just further feeds their ‘the world hates the Jews’ paranoia. And then they go home and indoctrinate another generation in that mentality….

18. piotr
    February 23, 2015, 7:19 am

And why they were rude? In part, back where they came from, politeness was something reserved for higher society, and only within the higher society. On top of that, properly accented Polish sounds rather rude to more eastern Slavic speakers, with klipped and missing vowels, and “hard” consonants, so the perception of rudeness (as an object of emulation) was amplified (similarly, proper British accent may sound patronizing, amplifying the perception which is also based on actual behavior). Another part is that Zionism as a matter of principle wanted to erase “stereotype of subservient, deferential behavior of the Exile” and replace it with assertiveness.

• MRW
      February 24, 2015, 5:40 pm

Astute observation.

• RoHa
      February 24, 2015, 11:16 pm

” proper British accent may sound patronizing,”

If, while using said accent, you drawl a little, look down your nose, and toss in a Latin phrase or two, the lower orders will recognize their cultural and intellectual inferiority, and subjugate themselves accordingly.

On the other, using the same accent, but with a sort of reticent politeness (Hugh Grant and Martin Freeman can give lessons in this), and you can charm your way into almost anywhere.

19. eljay
    February 23, 2015, 8:24 am

|| piotr: My theory on Israeli rudeness is that Israel is a society formed by immigrants, and successive waves were absorbing dominating customs. So probably the initial big wave of immigrants was pretty rude. ||

Being a simple man, I have an even simpler theory: Supremacism breeds rudeness. When you think you’re better, when you’re told you’re better, when you KNOW you’re better than the people around you, you have no reason to be polite, especially not to those human pukes who fail to make proper obeisance.

• piotr
      February 24, 2015, 9:04 am

The British were definitely supremacist in they colonial period, and insisted on proper manners. The connection is not as close as you describe.

February 25, 2015, 11:08 am

“The British were definitely supremacist in they colonial period, and insisted on proper manners.”

And if the natives didn’t always display those good manners, the British beat hell out of them, or worse. Or blew them from the mouths of cannons.

Oh, wait, you are talking about British manners toward the natives? Oh wow…. (begins backing away) oh yes, I’m sure they were of the best (runs like hell).

20. just
    February 23, 2015, 8:42 am

Is there no CIVILITY in Israeli society? Is there no law and order? Why are the police, the courts, the IOF so afraid of their citizenry that they do not observe their own laws and their duties wrt the ‘right’ Israelis? Is it written in a secret document somewhere? Or is it a direct result of the GoI never being held accountable by anyone for its innumerable crimes? Why the constant whining about jailed Pollard? He betrayed his country, and compromised its national security, yet many Israelis want him freed and for the US to end his punishment.

If people other than Israelis were involved in that disgraceful, racist and hostile exchange, you can bet that they would be rotting in an Israeli jail.

Which brings me to Kris’ post above:

““After the video was posted on Facebook, several of the flight attendants who uploaded or shared the video received threats from members of the family featured in the video, saying if the video is not removed they will turn to the police to complain about the flight attendants.””

Totally unbelievable. As long as it wasn’t made public, they were just fine with it. Same mentality as the IOF and others who were caught on camera killing/abducting Palestinians. Then the cries of ” it must be faked” or we’re gonna get YOU for what you did.

So, who in their right mind would fly on El Al or Israir? No civilized person. I wish folks would boycott Israel and BG.

21. pabelmont
    February 23, 2015, 9:32 am

For more on the usual, daily, unremarkable Israeli ugliness, see: http://www.richardsilverstein.com/2015/02/23/bayit-yehudi-thugs-assaulted-mizrahi-social-justice-activists/ where the much-vaunted (pink-washing in USA!) but somewhat imaginary gay-rights in Israel seems to turn into a reality of gay-bashing as well as poor-or-Mizrahi-bashing. Maybe this is merely right-wing misbehavior, and we have that here on Fox News, Limbaugh, etc., but it seems quite main-line.

22. Mooser
    February 23, 2015, 11:21 am

Perhaps that has something to do with it.

• American
      February 23, 2015, 12:27 pm

Mooser February 23, 2015, 11:21 am

Gee, could somebody correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t, no matter where they come from, (and no matter what the level of etiquette in the home shtetl) isn’t the most universal experience for Israelis being drafted into the IDF for a couple of years at 18? And doing occupation service? Perhaps that has something to do with it. ”>>>>

Militaries are all about discipline, self controlled, behavior.
      I was out at the Officers Club one night with a retired AF Col. friend of mine–sitting at the bar we were taunted by a active duty AF pilot who was drunk and had some burr up his ass about some snub or something he blamed on civilian locals—not realizing he was insulting a A/F Col also in his remarks.
      I brushed it off but my Col. friend was furious and called the base commander the next morning…..the guy got suspended from flight duty for a week and had to go our houses in person and apologize to each us.
      I really didnt want him to do that I would have preferred to just forget it— but that is how seriously most militaries take the discipline and behavior of their members whether on or off duty and toward the public as well as fellow officers.

February 23, 2015, 1:20 pm

“I am told however by people that know that no such discipline or code of conduct exist in the israeli military so you might be right.”

Oh, please, tell me about it.

I’m sure that is pretty much the same everywhere.

• MRW
        February 24, 2015, 5:54 pm

American, your AF Colonel friend is right, and not just about obedience. My uncle was head of one of the most elite sections of the AirForce, their top pilots. I was staying with him one time when he and my aunt went out to the mess for dinner with friends. He came back with a heavy heart. He was going to have to let his top pilot go. The guy got drunk. I said, “That’s all?” He said yes, if you can’t hold your liquor when your feet are on the ground, it means you can’t take g-force under battle flight conditions. You have to go. My aunt told me later that my uncle used Saturday night drinks to determine who had the right stuff early on in their training.

February 24, 2015, 7:23 pm

“My aunt told me later that my uncle used Saturday night drinks to determine who had the right stuff early on in their training. “

Gosh, considering the amount of money it takes to train a pilot, not to mention the personal commitment required from the hope-to-be pilot him (or her) self, I can’t think of a more objective or fairer way to see who should be washed out.

And a guy named Mikey Weinstein tells me religion enters into it, too. We need God-fearing pilots.

23. amigo
    February 23, 2015, 12:39 pm

“Passenger 1: You will sell me Chocolate. Do you understand? You are my worker, I paid money for you.”

A normal well raised human being might have said , “I paid for a service”. But not this racist moron who suggests that she not be treated as she would treat “an Arab”. And Israel is full of people like her.Bye bye Israel.Can,t say its been nice to know ya.

When I was young my parents gave me a book on the subject of social skills.Clearly this zionist self serving bigot has few social skills.

• gamal
      February 24, 2015, 6:40 pm

Yes but amigo,

“as she would treat “an Arab”.”

well yes but honestly would you want to be treated like an Arab, treating a Jew like an Arab is the very essence of Antisemitism, surprised you are not legally required to acknowledge that, cool new anti-terrorism laws Ireland has, in case we’re not Charlie,

“Links must also be fostered between “friendly Arab states”, who have condemned “forthrightly acts of terror” that were seen in France and Belgium in recent weeks.’ said Flanagan, who is astonishingly not the corner drunk but is minister of Foreign Affairs,

Charlie, Charlie, will you never learn all Arabs are hostile, they are not your friends, do you have Alan Shatters mobile? ( I dont know what it is I am into question marks, sorry, I think it was Roha’s ( Rolf Harris?) comma crack, it shook me up.

24. Mooser
    February 23, 2015, 3:32 pm

“Clearly this zionist self serving bigot has few social skills.”

Okay, okay, so aidel gepotchket they are not.

• amigo
      February 24, 2015, 10:02 am

“Okay, okay, so aidel gepotchket they are not.”.Mooser.

Fine ,fine but no need to snap at me.Mind translating for me.I tried but came up zero.

• just
        February 24, 2015, 10:13 am

amigo, I found this:

“Aidel gepotchket– Delicately brought up”

February 24, 2015, 11:15 am

“Fine ,fine but no need to snap at me”

Oy I messed up my editing. No snapping intended. Sorry.

25. zaid
    February 23, 2015, 3:32 pm

speaking of racism check this video out

26. seafoid
    February 23, 2015, 4:13 pm

That’s why the Zionist lady is a tramp

27. just
    February 23, 2015, 5:42 pm

“Israir said it would bar from its flights the passengers who disrupted a recent flight to Varna, Bulgaria, and is mulling whether to file a police complaint against them.

Haaretz reported on Sunday that a disagreement between a passenger and a flight attendant came close to degenerating into physical violence.

The passengers swore at and threatened the flight attendant because they wanted to buy duty-free chocolate without waiting their turn.

The authorities in Bulgaria questioned the passengers, who returned to Israel early Monday morning.

Israir’s vice president for ground operations and security, Moshe Talmor, flew to Varna after the incident so he could be on the passengers’ return flight.

To ensure that the flight would go smoothly, he spoke to the passengers before takeoff from Bulgaria, and only then approved them for embarkation.

When the flight landed at Ben-Gurion International Airport, the problematic passengers covered their faces and tried to avoid the media scrum that awaited them.

Avner Yarkoni, a former director-general of the Israeli Civil Aviation Authority, criticized Israir’s approach to the passengers on the flight to Varna.

“If this were a Western airline, the captain would have made an unscheduled landing along the way,” Yarkoni said. “If it were an American airline, the passengers might have been placed in restraints.

“At the end of the day, it’s the police who are supposed to deal with passengers. To my mind, the gentleness, not to say feebleness, shown by Israir, after landing in both Varna and at Ben-Gurion airport on the return trip won’t curtail this completely unacceptable behavior.”

A plane, he said, “is not a land vehicle. Any unruliness or violation of authority could have grave unintended consequences.

“For that reason the plane’s captain, like the captain of a ship, has draconian authority because he is responsible for the aircraft and its passengers.””

Moshe Tamor is a wuss. Israir isn’t protecting its passengers. They are protecting their wallet.

Avner Yarkoni is correct~ one sane and clear head among the all the others.

28. just
    February 24, 2015, 6:57 am

Violence and threats seem endemic:

“The former chief caretaker of the prime minister’s official residence has asked the police to provide him with security amid death threats stemming from his claims that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has billed the state for private expenses.

The caretaker, Meni Naftali, continued his testimony to the police Monday, adding on to an 11-hour session Friday.

Sunday evening, Naftali asked the police for security, saying he had received death threats via Facebook. Examples included “We’ll slaughter you if you don’t leave Bibi alone” and “We’ll cut off your head like the Islamic State,” his attorney, Ofer Almog, wrote in a letter to Police Commissioner Yohanan Danino.

February 24, 2015, 9:08 pm

“Almog also said that when Naftali was in Afula on Sunday, a shopkeeper spat in his face and tried to attack him, screaming “Drop this story with Bibi; I’ll finish you!””

Naftali: “What on earth are you yelling about, shopkeeper? I happen to know you are a tepid Herzog supporter, and hardly even interested in politics.”
      Shopkeeper: “Yes, that’s true, but I am also an Israeli! If there’s screaming, spitting and attacking going on, count me in! Your mother’s wears upside-down eye-liner!”

• just
        February 24, 2015, 9:22 pm

You use humor in such a clever way, Mooser!

Thanks for being you. In such a seriously terrible situation as P/I has been, it’s good to have some relief from the miserable news when you come up with something like the above. I do so appreciate the sudden giggles that you elicit~ you have a gift.

• Bornajoo
        February 25, 2015, 2:49 am

“You use humor in such a clever way, Mooser!
        Thanks for being you, and for being here!”

+1!

• Kris
        February 24, 2015, 9:40 pm

@just: “You use humor in such a clever way, Mooser!” I completely agree with you. Of so many gems, this is my favorite, and still has me chuckling:

Mooser February 19, 2015, 5:44 pm
        I guess I’m just a typical angry anti-Zionist old man. Standing on the front porch yelling at kids: “Get off their lawn”!

– See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/02/fantasy-dangerous-military#comment-748523

• just
        February 24, 2015, 9:46 pm

Exactly, Kris!

That had me howling, and still does make me chuckle. So freaking clever! He did, with one word switch, something that would have taken me at least a couple of tortuous sentences, and that’s if it had even occurred to me!

February 25, 2015, 11:16 am

Gee thanks, all, how very generous. But really, it’s just a sort of knack, I’m sure anybody could do it.
        I always try to remember that levity is the soul of wit!

Oh yes, and “dialogue”.

29. just
    February 24, 2015, 7:16 am

“Viral Israeli air rage video casts light on ingrained anti-Arab racism”

I think that Annie inspired this piece by Ali Abunimah. It’s good and focuses on the racism and “brutalization of Israeli society”.

( the language used by the perpetrators is much worse than I have read before)

There’s this, too: “Israeli daily Haaretz reported that Israir also said that “a security officer on the flight declined to intervene in the argument because it was not a security incident.”

If several Palestinian or other Arab passengers had behaved in the same manner, is it possible to imagine they would not have been deemed a “security” threat?”

(Ring any bells? Sounds like the “security officer” is a former IOF’er.)

A female flight attendant with the Israeli state airline ElAl is quoted by Walla! News about the harassment workers routinely experience: “There’s a custom of addressing the flight attendant not by pushing the call button but by touching her buttocks or pulling the crease of her trousers or the hem of her skirt. He [the passenger] doesn’t do this thinking sexually, but you get off a flight after quite a few passengers have touched you or pulled your trousers or skirt. It is definitely unpleasant.””

(how freaking gross. Some Israeli men won’t sit near a woman, others grope them! And how does this flight attendant KNOW he isn’t ‘thinking sexually’! Rather proprietorial, eh?)

February 24, 2015, 7:41 am

just, this is instructive:

“The curses and beating of the flight attendant continues. Anyone who doesn’t understand that the occupation, the way Palestinians are treated, have a direct link to the brutalization of Israeli society is simply closing their eyes,” he continues.

“You can’t occupy a civilian population for nearly fifty years and remain a model society, a light unto the nations,” Nanous concludes.

and i doubt i “inspired” ali abuminah, but that’s very sweet of you.

• just
        February 24, 2015, 7:51 am

It is ‘instructive’, Annie.

I have read many accounts of this incident, and yours was the first (and only) one that focused, or even mentioned, the blatant racism.

30. Tal Shapira
    February 26, 2015, 8:28 am

Dear Annie,

I hope you read this message.

This video represents a vocal, ignorant, uneducated minority in Israel that does not represent all Israelis. Just like your state that has religious zealots that visit funerals of gay soldiers telling their families “this is a punishment from god”. We do not draw conclusions from extremists on all Americans just like you shouldn’t draw conclusions on all Israelis from one video.

Judging by your encouragement of the hate comments, you are content with smearing the name of Israelis utilizing this platform and there is nothing I can say to persuade you otherwise. I will say though, that Israel has a thriving coexistence of arabs and jews, we work for one another, we buy food from one another, and most of us dream of peace and long for the day that we can focus on the great things in Israel like science that treats Multiple Sclerosis or computer chips in your laptop.

All the best,
    Tal

• Bornajoo
      February 26, 2015, 5:57 pm

@Tal
      “Until that day, people like you who are one sided in their hate for Jews and Israel, certainly don’t help the process.”

Annie has posted thousands of comments on this site. Please show me just ONE single comment to prove your pathetic and ridiculous claim that she hates Jews. I’m waiting

Why do you zionists have to always conflate zionism and israel with Jews? Oh… Let me guess.. Oh yes so you can play the anti semitism card.

I’m Jewish and I want nothing to do with israel or with the sick cult known as zionism so please don’t speak for me. You just can’t help yourselves

• Tal Shapira
        February 28, 2015, 1:54 pm

Here’s one of hundreds “Israelis NEED violence like an addiction to sustain itself. its the perpetual lie that enables the expansion, without which israel would have to face its culpability.”

February 28, 2015, 2:05 pm

just to be clear, the conversation went like this: http://mondoweiss.net/2010/01/now-wait-whos-censored#sthash.eIJnoXJf.dpuf in response to p.g’s comment “According to Avigail Abarbanel” (her theory)

Israelis NEED violence

or perhaps you can better explain how the founding and subsequent expansion of the state could/would have occurred. either way, i was responding to someone else’s remarks which included the phrase “Israelis NEED violence”. and, since i placed it in italics, it was not, officially, my quote. it was a quote i responded to.

and, a more thoughtful reading would conclude that the meaning here is “it’s the perpetual lie” (of israeli “security” violence/always in response or reaction – always the victim) that is the addiction, without which israel would have to face its culpability.

perhaps you could provide another example, without mangling the formatting and attributing a quote (from someone else i cited) to me instead, to make your case.

and thank you bornajoo, for coming to my defense.

• Bornajoo
        February 28, 2015, 2:34 pm

@Tal
        I asked you to show me one example of Annie where she states that she hates Jews. This is not that example. Do you know why you cannot find one Tal? It’s because it doesn’t exist.

What you are doing Tal, and what so many pro-Israel Zionists do is they CONFLATE criticism of Israel with anti semitism. You do this in order to try and label people as anti semites because of their criticism of Israel.

Criticising Israel has nothing to do with criticising Jews. As I told you previously, I’m Jewish and I am an extremely strong critic of Israel which has come about through years of actual personal experience. Like Annie, I am exercising my right of free speech to criticise the crimes against humanity committed by Israel on a regular basis. It has nothing to do with criticising Jews or being anti semitic. It’s people like you who want to label anyone who criticises Israel as anti semitic. This tactic has worked well for decades but finally people are becoming wise to this conflation and are no longer falling for it

So I’m still waiting for you to find one single example of Annie stating that she hates Jews. Good luck.

• Tal Shapira
        February 28, 2015, 2:31 pm

Annie, you want to blame my formatting? you completed that comment and continued the sentence. that means that you took the comment and elaborated it.

Let’s talk about my point which you so elegantly trying to avoid by attacking.

You wrote this column with an intent to smear all israelis with quotes such as “casual racism is embedded bla bla” … you claimed that Israelis are inherently racist, stop avoiding my argument. You hate Israelis, you hate me and you haven’t even met me.

The title of your article is “racism in the air” well the only racism I smell in the air is the one you spew from your keyboard in this website.

February 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

tal, you claimed there are “hundreds” of examples. and yet you chose one in which i cited someone else (who himself was citing a psychologist) and then attributed it to me. it is not my wording and you know that.

you completed that comment and continued the sentence.

it’s extremely common here and everywhere else on the internet to copy and paste the phrase used one is referencing. are you trying to make the case you could fairly quote me as saying

“you completed that comment and continued the sentence. it’s extremely common here and everywhere else on the internet to copy and paste the phrase used one is referencing.”

because obviously that’s not an honest quote of what i said. i’m merely asking you to be accurate. and anyone who’s tried to copy paste from mondoweiss knows very well it always comes with a url for the original. so, clearly you grabbed a comment from over 5 years ago, mangled the formatting, and purposely erased the source url so the context was erased. certainly you can do better than that!!!

that means that you took the comment and elaborated it.

yes i did. i took someone else’s idea, and since i was quoting them i used their punctuation (which was not mine) and i elaborated with my own thoughts regarding what was stated. but it is not one sentence the way you copied it. nor did the idea or thought originate with me. it’s dishonest.

You hate Israelis, you hate me and you haven’t even met me.

i don’t hate you in the least. really, you’re placing way too much importance on yourself. i wouldn’t ever consider hating you, why would i allow you to have that kind of power over my soul. you have no idea what you are talking about and you do not know me at all. i really can’t figure out why you would come up with such an absurd assertion. i stated elsewhere in this thread “i’d suggest you click on my comment archives (click my name above this very comment)and do a search under “hate”. – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/02/racism-is-in-the-air/comment-page-1#comment-750852

clearly, you didn’t. my feelings on the topic of hatred are quite clear, it corrodes the person who hates.

i don’t hate hops, anyone or anything. i couldn’t do what i do if i hated. i believe hate eats away at the host, so it’s really not my thing. i’ve discussed this a few times on MW

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.
        Martin Luther King Jr.

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
        Martin Luther King Jr.

Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man’s sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true.
        Martin Luther King Jr.

Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars… Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        Martin Luther King Jr.

Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time; the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Mankind must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.
        Martin Luther King Jr.

something told me if i googled martin luther king and ‘hate’ it might bring clarity. shall i try gandhi anyone?

and more recently: http://mondoweiss.net/2012/08/fallout-of-attack-egypt-launches-sinai-air-raids.html#comment-485438

nice try tho, but your ‘hate’ lingo bounces right off me, definitely not my bag.

and the last link in that blockquote leads here:

c&d, american, i can accept that you hate israel because i refuse to live in denial, but it is not acceptable to me that you hate. it’s bad for your mental health. you will be a stronger warrior for peace if you can rid your heart of hate. i believe that.

good luck.

this is not a new position of mine, it is part of my philosophy of life and it’s been with me my whole life it was the way i was raised and the way i raised my child.

i think you’re spamming the thread.you entered the thread and stated myself and others had “hate for Jews and Israel”. take it somewhere else. good bye.

• Bornajoo
        February 28, 2015, 3:34 pm

Wonderful response Annie. It should be completely obvious to absolutely anyone and everyone who reads what you write that you don’t hate anyone at all and you couldn’t even if you tried.

This tactic of not confronting the reality of one’s actions but instead deluding oneself that the only reason one is criticised must be because of some irrational hatred, is becoming pathetically boring.

So it’s okay to bomb, slaughter, murder and be racist and the only reason someone criticises must be because of some irrational hatred towards that group committing the crime but nothing at all to do with the actual crimes being committed?

Stop the awful crimes and the criticism will stop too.

“sick cultist “? That’s a new one but probably more accurately describes ultra zionists than me.

• seafoid
        February 28, 2015, 4:16 pm

Annie is right to say that Israel is a racist society that feeds off violence.
        I’ll go further and say

-it’s a deeply dysfunctional society run on the principle that might is right.

-Zionism is untreated trauma.
        -Israeli Jews are ignorant loudmouths in the main.
        -And aliyah is the wrong word.

• eljay
      February 26, 2015, 6:35 pm

|| Tal Shapira: … Judging by your tweeter account and previous articles it is clear that you have a beef with the state of Israel, more specifically with all Israelis. ||

Israel and all Israelis (Jewish and non-Jewish) – good.

|| This video represents a vocal, ignorant, uneducated minority in Israel that does not represent all Israelis. ||

Israel and all Israelis (Jewish and non-Jewish) – again, good.

|| Judging by your encouragement of the hate comments, you are content with smearing the name of Israelis … ||

Israelis (Jewish and non-Jewish) – still good.

|| I will say though, that Israel has a thriving coexistence of arabs and jews … ||

Israel and a thriving co-existence of non-Jews (“Arabs”) and Jews – wow, he’s almost there. Is he going to make it all the way?

|| Until that day, people like you who are one sided in their hate for Jews … ||

Aaaannnd he blows it!! :-(

You Zio-supremacists really can’t help yourselves, can you?

February 26, 2015, 7:52 pm

You Zio-supremacists really can’t help yourselves, can you

it’s a sign of desperation eljay. the one-stop , one-size-fits-all fall back position. accuse the opponent of hatred. it’s low-ball arguing. the worse ad hominem on the block (for what is worse than hate?) . david horowitz type slander. but it won’t work.

February 26, 2015, 7:44 pm

a beef with the state of Israel, more specifically with all Israelis.

hmmm, think again. in my position here at mondowiess i have he wonderful honor of working with the best israel has to offer in terms of people, every day! in fact 2 of them sent me this video. so you’ll just have to find another line of hasbara. i have also been there, and again, met some wonderful people and dedicated activists.

there is nothing I can say to persuade you

you got that right. i’d suggest you click on my comment archives (click my name above this very comment)and do a search under “hate”. my feelings on that topic were spelled out years ago, they have not changed. you took a shot in the dark and > #fail

• Kris
      February 28, 2015, 8:39 pm

@Tal: “Israel has a thriving coexistence of arabs (sic) and jews, we work for one another, we buy food from one another, and most of us dream of peace and long for the day that we can focus on the great things in Israel like science that treats Multiple Sclerosis or computer chips in your laptop.”

Right.

Please take a few hours to read a few years of Kate’s articles on mondoweiss, which are compilations of news stories detailing the awesome “coexistence” of Israeli Jews with Palestinians.

Or you could just read Haaretz. For example, here is a fun story from today about a little boy who came home from kindergarten to find that Israeli Jews had demolished his whole house: http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/twilight-zone/.premium-1.644372

In your future comments, you’ll want to remember to mention: Holocaust, Jew hatred, antisemitism, blood libel, Holocaust, deserts bloom, delegitimization, Jew hatred, Holocaust, Charlie Hebdo, Holocaust, uncomfortable, whole world against us, Holocaust.

• Kris
        February 28, 2015, 8:46 pm

In case you don’t have access to Haaretz, here are excerpts:

Salameh al-Kasasi came home from kindergarten on Sunday to discover that his home had been demolished. He left home in the morning and returned at midday – to nothing. When his father arrived, after having been detained by the police for 40 minutes, he saw his son standing on the heap of rubble and poking around in it.

“What are you looking for?” he asked his little boy. “For my yellow teacup,” the boy replied. The beloved cup was found a few minutes later amid the pile of stones that had once been a house.

Salameh is a 4-year-old Israeli boy from the “unrecognized” Bedouin village of Saawa in the Negev. In 1952, the Israeli government moved his relatives from the area of Beit Kama – in order to make room for kibbutzim – to the place where he was born. Now the authorities seek to expel his family from there, too. Four times Israel has already demolished this tiny village of Saawa, which lies east of the town of Hura, and four times it’s been rebuilt.

When we arrived this week, the day after the devastation, the residents were already busy clearing rubble and sealing up holes in houses that had been damaged but not totally destroyed. A heap of ruins lies next to just about every home here, like a monument to a house or a memorial for a room that was razed. Some are from this week’s demolitions, which were a continuation of a wrecking process that was begun last December.

Battered by experience, the locals are now rebuilding their homes with cheap components, tin panels, and sealing them with insulation materials. The fate of their little enclave is sealed, too, they know. At the conclusion of their struggle – a lost cause – the village will likely become a Jewish National Fund grove or a site earmarked for Jewish habitation…

Their problems with the governmental authorities date back to the 1980s, when Israel stopped leasing them farmlands. About a decade earlier, they had filed ownership claims for the land, which were never authorized. In 1991, the entire village was razed, and it was destroyed again in 1994, in 2004 and again now.

The legal battle has gone on apace, reaching the Supreme Court, but the Bedouin inhabitants have almost always lost. In the meantime, harassment by the authorities continues unabated….

At about 9 A.M., large forces of police arrived, some of them on horses, accompanied by water cannons, together with personnel from the Interior Ministry and bulldozers. The contract workers brought in to do the wrecking removed some of the personal property, but closets and beds were crushed under the heavy machines, as we saw with our own eyes. The villagers didn’t resist; they just stood and watched as their homes were leveled.

We walked between the ruins – heaps of stones and tin panels. What do they tell their children?

“They ask questions for which we don’t have answers,” Nawaf says. “What can we tell them? A child comes home from school and asks, ‘Where is our house?’ What can you tell him?”

And there is of course an atmosphere here of discrimination and racism, intensified by the existence of the veteran kibbutzim in the area, but mostly by the phenomenon of nearby single-family farms of Jews, some of them built without permits, which have electrical power and water – and which no one demolishes.

Says Nawaf: “Why aren’t we allowed to build farming communities? The whole country is filled with farming communities – and only we’re not allowed? Isn’t that racism? Don’t believe what they tell you: The Bedouin are not ‘trespassers’ and they are not ‘expanding.’ If someone from [the Be’er Sheva suburb of] Omer wants to move to Tel Aviv, no one will prohibit him. Obviously there has to be law and order in the country, but no one is negotiating with us. With us there’s only coercion.” ,,,

• Kris
        February 28, 2015, 10:16 pm

Ooops–what was I thinking, I’ve expanded the list for you to refer to when you comment here–be sure to mention:

Holocaust, Jew hatred, antisemitism, blood libel, Holocaust, deserts bloom, delegitimization, Jew hatred, Holocaust, Charlie Hebdo, Holocaust, uncomfortable, whole world against us, Holocaust, Hamas Charter, rockets, self-hating Jew, terrorism, push Jews into the sea, suicide attacks, Hamas, democracy, Israel’s “security,” “disputed territory,” only “democracy” in middle east, Jewish “settler” children in bomb shelters, every hand against us, God gave us this land, high tech, Holocaust, special relationship, Jew hatred,

• Kris
        February 28, 2015, 11:53 pm

Here are a few more: double standard, bad/worse things somewhere else, Muslim threat, ISIS, beheadings, sharia law, hypocrisy, closest ally, Jew hatred, Holocaust.

I really can’t stand this. That poor little boy, trying to find his special teacup in the rubble of what had been his home.

31. bintbiba
    February 28, 2015, 5:22 pm

link to mondoweiss.net

Martin Luther King Jr.

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr.

and more recently: link to mondoweiss.net

and the last link in that blockquote leads here:

good luck.

– See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/02/racism-is-in-the-air#comments

• bintbiba
      February 28, 2015, 5:34 pm

Sorry i made a big mistake here…didn’t know what I was doing .

• Bornajoo
        February 28, 2015, 5:42 pm

“annie, I mean to just say to you thank you for posting this compilation of Martin Luther King Jr.’s
        precious words. If anything these are a lifestyle to adopt if nothing else… no fairies in the sky, no fighting over whose god is the lesser god. And this world would really be so much more respectable and dignified !”

Amen to that Bintbiba

• Wissam Boustany
        March 1, 2015, 10:35 am

In a world that is seriously overdosing on the concept of free speech, silence is often misunderstood as a lost word and a moral void.
        Thank you Annie, for reminding us all that Love is the beginning and the end of our short journey on this planet. The rest just gets lost in a cacophony of lost, but well meaning, souls. As hard as it is to admit it – we are all the same, in our differences.
        Peace and Love to you

32. juvanya
    September 13, 2015, 1:32 am

Gee a little racism surfaces after 90 years of constant attacks by Arabs. This site is hilarious.