Abunimah’s book on justice for Palestine soars in readers’ poll

Activism

Here’s a remarkable index of the surge in popularity of Palestinian solidarity activism on the part of the lib-left intelligentsia. The Atlantic is conducting a poll of readers on the nonfiction book to read this March and Ali Abunimah’s The Battle for Justice in Palestine is in second place, with nearly a quarter of the votes (Susan Cain’s book Quiet is leading the field right now).

The voting ends Friday, and readers can hop in.

Quite a moment. You can read an excerpt of the book here: Does Israel Have A Right to Exist as a Jewish state? You can buy the book here. You can read an interview with Abunimah here. And here is Abunimah speaking about the power of BDS in highlighting a simple fact, that millions of Palestinians have no rights under Israeli governance.

1. amigo
    March 4, 2015, 1:37 pm

I have read this book.Bought it just before the operation protective slaughter last summer and read it on the train to the protests in Dublin.I just voted for his book which is still number two (but way ahead of the next nearest – 69 votes) at 28 % (333 thumbs up ) .

Way to go Ali .

2. Philip Munger
    March 4, 2015, 3:12 pm

Shortly after The Battle for Justice in Palestine came out last spring, I had the opportunity to read the book and to host and interview Ali at Firedoglake’s (now defunct) Book Salon.

Glad to see it doing well in this poll. The book is just as relevant now as it was when it came out. I highly recommend it as a reference, particularly on BDS and on campus activism issues.

3. Pixel
    March 4, 2015, 9:50 pm

Current standings:

#1 :: Battle :: 47.86% (882 votes)
    #2 :: Quiet :: 38.80% (623 votes)

4. Ismail
    March 5, 2015, 9:21 am

As of 9:20 AM Boston time, Abunimah stands at 54% and Quiet at 29%.

5. Pixel
    March 5, 2015, 4:08 pm

Standings:

#1 :: Justice :: 56.33% (1380 votes)
    #2 :: Quiet :: :: 26.98% (661 votes)

Annie, can someone create a new Reminder Post about this tomorrow (Friday)?

Unless I’m reading it wrong, I think tomorrow is the last day to vote.

I worry that this post may be buried.

• Pixel
      March 5, 2015, 4:16 pm

PS.

I’m shocked that “Justice” hasn’t gotten 3,000+ votes, by now.
      To me, this is a no-brainer.

It’s one of those “little things” (click a box) that can have a HUGE impact (exposure / press / education).

I know there’s a good lead but I’d hate to see it come in 2nd after an 11th hour push by voters for other books.

Can MW do a few ReTweets on this?

===========

Oh, yeah, and to make it easy, here’s the direct link to the voting page:

1book140: Vote for a Nonfiction Book to Read in March

• Annie Robbins
      March 5, 2015, 4:26 pm

pixel, if we write a ‘reminder’ poll to drive traffic to it afterwards someone might claim the poll is not fair. you can write phil but i’m not sure he’d do that or what we’d say.

“hey everyone we really want ali’s justice/bds book to win so go vote?” what if one of those opposition websites wrote a blog post we were lobbying for a result? just breathe!

• Pixel
        March 7, 2015, 12:28 am

Good point, Annie!

AND, I think it won without it!!

6. ckg
    March 9, 2015, 12:04 pm

#1Book140’s March Read: The Battle for Justice in Palestine

Join our Twitter book club as we read Ali Abunimah’s analysis of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
    Alexis Ditkowsky
    Mar 9 2015, 11:19 AM ET

As the current #1book140 moderator, I won’t remove a nominated book from a list because it makes some people uncomfortable or unhappy, or because people respond to it with vitriol. #1book140 is one of the most welcoming, thoughtful, and tolerant communities I’ve had the pleasure to be a part of and I intend to keep it that way. If you can’t handle delicate conversations with equanimity, this probably isn’t the book club for you.

Now let’s get to our selection for March: The Battle for Justice in Palestine by Ali Abunimah. As the co-founder and director of the website The Electronic Intifada, Abunimah has been reporting on Palestine and presenting a broad range of perspectives from there since 2001. The Battle for Justice in Palestine—lauded as a critical and thoroughly researched analysis of the relationship between Israel and Palestine—is a natural extension of Abunimah’s online work.

Abunimah is eager to participate in the conversation about his book with the #1book140 community. He has generously offered to follow the conversation and chime in where he may be helpful. If you would like to bring a specific question to his attention, please use the hashtag #1book140 and tag @AliAbunimah.

I am looking forward to this.