Why I hope Netanyahu will be crushed tonight

US Politics

I am in Israel hoping to see the end of an era, the downfall of Benjamin Netanyahu. I hope that he is crushed in the election tonight. Many who care about Palestinians want Netanyahu to be reelected. They say that things must get worse before they get better, or that no one has done more to delegitimize the state of Israel in the eyes of the world than crude Benjamin Netanyahu the king of the Jews. True. Keep him in another couple of years, they say, and Israel will be discredited in more and more people’s eyes. I don’t support this view.

I look at everything Israeli first in terms of my interest, as an American who wants to end the Zionist captivity in the U.S. Wanting Netanyahu to stay in office is a little bit like saying, I want the neocons to stay in the thinktanks and influential posts and foment a war in Iran so that they will be fully discredited, and people will put their heads on pikes. That might be in my ideological interest, but it is nihilistic. The neocons have already done enough damage. If they aren’t discredited enough at this point, then you’re f’ing stupid. Walt and Mearsheimer’s worst charges against the Israel lobby have been proven, in the minds of reasonable people. I don’t want to win ideological battles at the price of a war that will hurt a lot of people I don’t know.

So you don’t think Labor Zionists will massacre Palestinians in Gaza? They have done so in the past, and the US Zionists have supported them. They cheered Cast Lead at J Street. And won’t a Herzog government just give the occupation a lease on life?

I’m a progressive and hope for reform. A Labor led government will be much more obedient to world opinion and to European opinion than Netanyahu. I was at Netanyahu’s rally in Tel Aviv the other night and saw fascist strains before my eyes, the racist binding of nationalists around a mythic past, people who were ready to spill blood and who deny Palestinian existence, let alone humanity. That’s not a healthy thing for any society. Their defiance of world opinion is dangerous. They have nukes (as William Greider reminded Nation readers the other day). They help to confirm everything bad we have ever said about Israel, but are you in this to win an argument? I’m in it because I want to end the Zionist ideology in the U.S. and free the Palestinians. And yes, the Zionist Camp in the context of the rise of the Joint Arab List is less likely to commit massacres.

Will they give the occupation another five years and sustain the myth of the two state solution?

These are the most important questions. Gideon Levy is certainly right that a Labor Zionist victory will cause dancing in the capitals of Europe and Washington too. At J Street’s conference next week they will be delirious. It will be the second coming. They will say Israel is great again, Israeli democracy has vindicated itself. And Look at the Arab List!!! OMG. A friend says we are about to see a great sickening wave of Israel-loving in the U.S.

There is no doubt about any of this.

But I will be happy because it is necessary that anti-Zionists be engaged with liberal Zionists, and let the better argument win. That is an important phase of this struggle. And that battle will be at hand.

Look at it like this: for years the liberal Zionists have said, Give Israel a chance. Israel can change, Israelis want a two state solution. They actually want a Palestinian state. You will see, just give us a chance.

Now they will have their chance. They will be in power at last, the moment they’ve been preparing us for will be here. The neoconservatives will have been driven from Washington. Bill Kristol will be thoroughly discredited. Not just wrong on Iraq and wrong on a war of civilizations, but wrong on everything that Netanyahu has done politically in the last couple of years and months. Kristol has the reverse Midas touch; everything he touches has turned to shit.

The neocon collapse will leave the anti-Zionists to battle the liberal Zionists at last. The liberal Zionists will have to engage the side that believes in equal rights. There will be an open debate. Jeremy Ben-Ami who had big public conversations with Jeffrey Goldberg (who served in the IDF and stoked the Iraq war) and Bill Kristol (who didn’t serve in Vietnam and stoked the Iraq war) and tried to pretend we did not exist will have to take us on. Because the rightwing Zionists will be irrelevant and Jeremy Ben-Ami and Peace Now will be the new AIPAC. They will be the lobby, they will inherit the crown. And they will have to engage us because we are inside the Democratic Party base now. There will at last be a real debate between these two sides. It will be Rebecca Vilkomerson versus Jeremy Ben-Ami. Ali Abunimah versus Lara Friedman. They won’t be able to marginalize us.

I write in good faith. The liberal Zionists will have influence in Washington at last and let us see what they can do. The first question Jeremy Ben-Ami will get at his victory bath next week in D.C will be, Well how much time do you give this government to make a deal? Two years, Jeremy? I am open to hearing what they have to say about ending the conflict. Myself I am not wed to a one-state or two-state program, and though I oppose religious states, I am tolerant, I don’t want to tell other people how to live. But we will demand that the liberal Zionists perform. And if they come up with a solution to end the occupation and give Palestinians sovereignty and resolve the right of return in a way that is acceptable to Palestinian refugees, I can imagine not fighting them. I want this conflict to be over and without massive bloodshed– as doubtful as that seems, given the Algeria-like materials that have been heaped up by the right wing that Netanyahu demagogued to in the last days of the campaign, and by all of Zionist Israel at Qalandiya crossing and the hateful wall.

We should be dubious about Herzog and the liberal Zionists. They’re not really liberals, actually (and how many years does Peter Beinart get to be in crisis before he resolves it?). And I will continue to support BDS because it is the only real pressure on a country that rubbishes Palestinian rights. But they will at last have their chance and depending what Herzog says in Washington, I might even wish him well. But they must produce.

So count me among those who can’t wait for the monster Netanyahu to be gone. Get him out of the picture, crush the Greater Israel lobby, put pressure on the settlement project, and clear the way for a debate between a “Jewish democracy” and equal rights. This will be an immensely clarifying moment. I can’t wait.

1. MRW
    March 17, 2015, 4:57 am

Phil, how likely is it that Netanyahu won’t be re-elected? That Herzog might win? What does your finger in the air say? (Don’t forget that Israel has no-confidence motions. A PM can be out in three (?) months via a call for an election.)

• Giles
      March 17, 2015, 10:54 am

“Another few years of Netanyahu will hurt a lot of people. It will hurt more Palestinians in the West Bank, force more people out of their homes in East Jerusalem, it will increase the likelihood of another Gaza war.”

It seems to me that these are the likely outcomes of the next few years no matter who is elected. And I would not call the killing sprees that Israel goes on every few years in Gaza wars. Wars require at least two combatants and the Gazans have no military.

• Krauss
        March 17, 2015, 5:07 pm

Now the exit polls are out. It’s either 27-27 or 28-27 in favor of Likud.

Remember, in 2009, Livni had 1 more MK advantage over Bibi yet who was it who formed the ultra-nationalist government in the end?

It was never close. Ever. People who thought so were either ignorant or deluding themselves. I say that even as I maintained – and continue to maintain – that a Labor-led government would have been better for BDS than more of Bibi. But I was never under any illusions of the likelihood of that. And I don’t think a lot of people were either, deep down. Some of them just got caught up in their emotions and wishes.

• MRW
        March 17, 2015, 5:11 pm

Exactly. They’re field-testing new weaponry. Ideal, as you say, because the Gazans have no military.

2. Peter Feld
    March 17, 2015, 5:20 am

Wow. I feel the exact opposite because I am sure Herzog will extend the occupation and two-state illusion, and don’t want to see euphoric dancing at J Street. Yes, I’m an accelerationist. But this is extreme powerful and touches every right question, a real challenge to my way of thinking. In truth there is a way forward with either result. But I think 2 years of Obama in his current fearless mode – he’s at his peak – is too precious to squander on diddling with Herzog. Another Kerry process in which Abbas will look like the bad guy if he refuses to knuckle under to the “framework” and has to make good on his previous insane concessions that Netanyahu thankfully rejected could be a calamity for Palestinians. Israel needs to take a much harder hit in US public opinion than it has so far, and Herzog would be such a setback. But if he wins I’ll console myself with this logic here.

• Krauss
      March 17, 2015, 8:46 am

Phil’s argument is basically the same that I’ve been raising: the best would be if the liberal Zionists would win because the reality on the ground wouldn’t change but it would deprive the Beinart/J Street/Remnick crowd of their talking points.

But he’s wrong to try to paint it as more humane or even different from the “let Bibi win” people on the left.

It’s the same underlying logic: what would delegitimize Israel the fastest? The only disagreement is on method, not end aim.

Also, Phil, even you concede that the suffering of the Palestinians wouldn’t be materially different under liberal Zionists, so why do you try to paint your position as more noble?
      I happen to agree with the logical aspects of it, but please skip the moral lecturing when there’s no legitimacy to it.

3. Pixel
    March 17, 2015, 6:10 am

I’m going to talk about dying and death for a moment.

I’m pro-choice at both ends of life and, to me, Jack Kevorkian was a hero and decades ahead of his time. To me, his message was critically important but/and was absolutely the wrong messenger – or was he?

On the one hand, the man looked like a ghoul – the grim reaper incarnate sans robe, hood and scythe …Cabby Appleton, Snidely Whiplash, and Mr. Burns all rolled into one.

On the other hand, whether people loved him or hated him, agreed with his position or vehemently disagreed, his greatest contribution to the movement was getting the conversation started …and keeping it going.

He was a lightening rod.

(Inexplicably jettisoning the talent and support of Jeffrey Figer, lawyer and fellow advocate), JK landed in prison, came out without fanfare, and died quietly. Others who weren’t as vocal and provocative, had joined the movement and tried to take up the torch but without JK’s spark, the conversation lost momentum and slowed down to a near-halt. These days, very few people even know where things stand on the issue.

Similarly, Bibi got this conversation going — like a flashover, like squirting lighter fluid directly on hot coals. WHOOOMM!

Bibi is the lighting rod.

That’s why I hope he wins. His notorious recognizability – his name and his face are short-hand for a lot of people who have until very recently had no idea what’s been going on in the US, Israel, etc., and, even now, many have just a the beginning of understanding.

Unless Bibi wins, momentum will immediately drop to zero. More people will die and more destruction will occur as things drag on and drag on.

It’s not Bibi’s policies, beliefs, and values that are important, here, it’s simply what he looks like, purple comb-over, yellow skin, and all.

• eljay
      March 17, 2015, 7:26 am

|| Pixel @ March 17, 2015, 6:10 am ||

Good post.

|| … I’m pro-choice at both ends of life and, to me, Jack Kevorkian was a hero and decades ahead of his time. … ||

+1.

March 17, 2015, 11:39 am

“… I’m pro-choice at both ends of life and, to me, Jack Kevorkian was a hero and decades ahead of his time. …”

I agree with you. You go first, and show me how it’s done.

• CloakAndDagger
      March 17, 2015, 11:23 am

@ Pixel

You and I are exactly on the same page. Great post!

March 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Pixel, your good comment just got big props from Max B.

4. Bandolero
    March 17, 2015, 6:27 am

I agree that it would be a good thing if Bibi was gone. However, I disagree with the presentation of the antithesis.

Let me formulate an opposing opinion lauding Bibi’s accomplishments I’d deem more realistic:

Bibi and his neocon comrades are on the way to destroying the US empire, and possibly the US itself. That could be seen as a good thing, and as a prerequisite to liberate Palestine.

The US is a settler state populated with rabidly violent people driven by messianic exceptionalist ideology hell-bent on subduing other people with destruction and aggressive wars, which were economically empowered by the geographic luck of having occupied a huge terrirtory protected by two oceans as borders.

After the US won the cold war Bibi has accomplished to permanently make the US military get bogged down in the qucksands of wars in the arab world, so that the US penchant for waging aggressive wars was bound in a very limited geographic area of the world, and other regions of the world, notably China and the SCO, but BRICS and Latin America, too, could develop without being destrcuted by US aggressive wars before they took over the position of the most powerful state and global alliance from the US. That is while Bibi’s neocon surrogates in the US managed to weaken and almost destroy the US economy with their ideologically driven neocon economic policies, thereby further weakening the US and it’s wicked messianic empire of chaos and destruction.

Having Bibi and his neocon buddies to continue ruling the US empire would further contribute to the US military being bogged down in the arab world. And with their self-destructive hyper-capitalist neocon predator economic policies Bibi’s neocon buddies would further the laudable agenda of destroying the US economy which is the power base of that aggressive empire.

Breaking the rule of the US empire over the world is the only viable way to liberate Palestine, as the messianic settler state Israel is an integral part of the empire of the US messianic settler state and the US empire will always back the Zionist apartheid regime as long as it is strong enough to do so. Herzog will be no improvement at all for Palestinians. they will get more “Cast Lead” instead of “Protective Edge” from Herzog. Herzog will strengthen the US empire because he is able to better hide his messianism than Netanyahu, thereby make the US empire seem less lunatic, and that will make the task of liberating Palestine harder. And that’s why many Mossad figures support Herzog.

So, as I said in the beginning, I’m happy if Bibi has to go today, because I think it will further splits in the US empire and thereby weakening it, but I’m deeply worried that it may all go the other way round.

• Walid
      March 17, 2015, 6:57 am

“… so that the US penchant for waging aggressive wars was bound in a very limited geographic area of the world, and other regions of the world, notably China and the SCO, but BRICS and Latin America, too, could develop without being destrcuted by US aggressive wars..” (Bandolero)

Bandolero, underestimating the power of the US while overstating the power of Israel over it is a myth and it has just been proven with the Iran deal. Israel went to crazy extremes to sabotage the deal and failed miserably. The US was faced with the prospect of keeping its Jewish lobby happy by walking away from a deal with Iran or with allowing Iran to fall totally under the control of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, which is a retread of the Warsaw Pact, that would have brought under the control of the other guys, a territory stretching from the Mediterranean shores of Syria, to Iraq, Iran ,Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, China and all the way to Vladivostok. Faced with these 2 options, the Jewish lobby lost. If the welfare of the US becomes jeopardized, it would drop Israel like a hot potato.

• Bandolero
        March 17, 2015, 7:42 am

Walid

Maybe you didn’t understand my argument: in my anti-thesis I credit Netanyahu and his neocon buddies for breaking the US empire and weakening the US, thereby helping to decolonize the world.

I credit them for unintendedly midwifing the growth of China to a superpower, the BRICS and their cooperation in SCO, making Iran a regional superpower co-operating in the framework of SCO, the liberation of Latin America and so on. These welcome developments are last not least all unintended consequences of horrible US wars of aggression in the arab world and ideologically driven economic policies pushed forward by Bibi and his neocon friends.

With Bibi gone, I worry that the US will become stronger and launch more successful imperialial wars to safeguard the interests of the empire in staying the sole global superpower. Having freed up it’s military from being stuck in arab quicksands and waging stupid and unsuccessful wars for Israel, I especially worry that the US will use it’s new strength to wage a clever and successful war on China – because China is the engine of global liberation and the only serious competitor to the US empire.

• aiman
        March 17, 2015, 8:41 am

Walid I think the Israel lobby is split between neoconservatives and liberal Zionists even if they often merge. The clash between the two (even though many lib zios like Goldberg were rabble rousing for an attack on Iran) and the lib zio support for Obama allowed that to happen. Obama being a politician would never take a risk without his lib Zio support base. While the Israel lobby is not all powerful, it is currently the most powerful force and enabler of US policy in the Middle East.

• Walid
        March 17, 2015, 6:00 pm

“While the Israel lobby is not all powerful, it is currently the most powerful force and enabler of US policy in the Middle East. ” (aiman)

Aiman, glad to see that you agree about the lobby not being so powerful. I think its main purpose is to act as a clearing house to transfer Jewish donor monies to the elected legislators.

Bandolero, I appear to have misread the gist of your post, but you’re still over-rating Israel’s influence in steering American policy.

• can of worms
      March 17, 2015, 8:30 am

BTW why is the United “Arab” List not called the “United Non-Zionist List”? Makes you wonder.

@Bandolero: “Breaking the rule of the US empire over the world is the only viable way to liberate Palestine.” +1.

• can of worms
        March 17, 2015, 10:28 am

If they allow themselves to be called the “Arab” List instead of the Non-Zionist List, as if there is something wrong or needing to be concealed about being an anti-Zionist, or as if a certain world view comes from being an “Arab”, this spells capitulation and cooperation before they’ve even begun. To be worthy of trust these days it’s absolutely necessary to say *Anti–Zionist* loud and proud. If they can’t say they’re anti-Zionists, and say it very loud, they are cooperators with the oppressor. That’s just to be clear. If they can’t risk the consequences of saying they’re Non-Zionists – what will they ever risk? So that’s the people’s job – to push them.

• Stephen Shenfield
        March 17, 2015, 8:50 pm

Whatever they call themselves, their call for “a state of its citizens” clearly marks them as anti-Zionist.

5. Felipe
    March 17, 2015, 6:59 am

Dear Phil,

You make a interesting and persuasive argument as to why the era of Netanyahu must come to an end. Yet I can think of a few significant issues that might preclude your
    reasoned scenario from coming into fruition as you believe it will.

First: I don’t believe the end of Netanyahu will mark the end of AIPAC’s influence as the tip of the spear of the Israel Lobby. While it is true that AIPAC identifies more closely with Likudnik thinking, it is ultimately a bipartisan entity. Both labor and likud fully support the work of AIPAC in the United States even as AIPAC itself refuses to acknowledge that settlements are a key obstacle to Palestinian statehood, fail to denounce the settlement enterprise as illegal under international law, is highly unlikely to call for a removal of all settlements or a full withdrawal of the Israeli military from the West Bank and is dead set against the Right of Return. Moreover, the lobby’s money still remains extremely powerful in shaping the political discourse and legislative agenda of elected officials regarding Israel.

Second: The coming battle between liberal Zionists and anti-Zionists in the public sphere may not get the exposure it needs to seep into mainstream political discourse. Even now, whatever “debate” is allowed in the mainstream media on Israel is carefully circumscribed to AIPAC, a “mainstream” organization and J Street, which is often portrayed as “leftist” even though J Street is a center-right organization and differs from AIPC more in terms of style than substance, often ending up espousing positions that sound very much like AIPAC-lite. The Zionist gatekeepers in the MSM do a very efficient job of keeping the debate, when allowed, confined to the positions ascribed to those two “extremes”.

Third: the current framework for negotiations to “end” the Occupation is based around the so-called Kerry Initiative, which basically allows for the formation of a truncated, bantustanized political entity that would amount to, in the words of Shlomo Ben Ami, a “state minus”. The Israeli military would still have a detrimental presence in the PTs for “security purposes”, most of the settlers would remain in place and the issue of ROR will be killed for good. As sad as it sounds, the Palestinian Authority, which has become the de facto manager of the Occupation, is likely to go along with such a plan, despite the the fact that it would essentially be a capitulation of quintessential Palestinian rights under international law. I doubt such an outcome would be acceptable over the long term to those grassroots Palestinian organizations, movements and individuals that have worked and struggled so hard during all these years to bring a just solution to the conflict. To see the corrupt, opportunistic leadership of the Palestinian Authority be bribed or cowed into accepting this shameful deal would be a profound insult and disappointment to all those people whose blood, sweat and tears that have gone into making BDS an internationally potent movement against the occupation, oppression and dispossession of the Palestinians.

In short, like many folks here in this site, I do believe that the Netanyahu/Likud/Bennet/Lieberman axis is the greatest unifying and energizing factor for the anti apartheid, anti-Zionist, pro-equality, pro-human rights movement to have even more traction and exert even more pressure to bring about meaningful change in Israel/Palestine. I am doubtful that another round of labor/liberal Zionism will amount to any significant movement towards a just peace.

6. pronomad
    March 17, 2015, 7:08 am

I don’t know. As much as I loathe the current government, I fear that any change at the top just puts lipstick on the pig. Herzog wants to keep settlement blocs, he wants to keep the Jordan Valley, he thinks Netanyahu didn’t go far enough in Gaza, he envisions five years of negotiations; where’s the real change here? Hopefully within a short period a deal will be concluded between the major powers and Iran, making it much harder for a Netanyahu government to credibly beat the “It’s 1938/Iran is an existential threat” drum. If Herzog gets another five years, that’s plenty of time to fine-tune another “the neighborhood is dangerous/XXXXX are out to kill us/this is no time for peace talks” scenario.

Let’s say Netanyahu stays in power: without the handy distraction of Iran, and with the confirmation that he does not support a two-state solution, what will the US-Israel relationship look like? Will we continue to back Israel to the hilt? Will we continue to reach automatically for the veto button? Will we continue to view settlement expansion as “unhelpful” to a non-existent peace process? Will we continue to support Israel’s right to massively disproportionate “self-defense” with US-supplied weapons the next time the IDF pounds Gaza or the West Bank?

Give Israel a chance? They’ve had plenty: 20-plus years since Oslo, 10-plus years since the Arab Peace Initiative; why should they get another 5? Let’s say Netanyahu remains in power; personally, I look forward to AIPAC and other shills contorting themselves going to bat for a guy who doesn’t want peace.

7. Scott
    March 17, 2015, 7:30 am

You tipped the scale on a question I’ve been teetering on. What time do returns come in? (I’m in Paris, half past noon.)

8. just
    March 17, 2015, 7:34 am

A well presented case, Phil.

Be safe over there. If you see Gideon Levy and/or Amira Hass, give them my thanks and best wishes. Same to Allison…

Thanks for your perspective.

(Go, Joint Arab List!!!)

9. adpucci
    March 17, 2015, 8:17 am

totally seconded Phil, to the last comma.

10. SonofDaffyDuck
    March 17, 2015, 8:32 am

Do you really think the Palestinians will do better with the bland face of Herzog at the fore? I doubt the wheels behind the mask will turn in a different direction, no matter whose face is out front.
    Bibi presents the majority face and keeps the conversation going.
    Who will better stimulate American re-examination of our role in making apartheid possible?
    Herzog? Bibi?

• SQ Debris
      March 17, 2015, 10:08 pm

Precisely Senor Daffy. The elections are a hat trick and nothing more. Certainly nothing of consequence. A zionist is a zionist is a zionist. Changing the face of that machine will create an illusion of change that holds no substance. It is particularly important that bibi wins now that he has told the truth about the 2 state solution. He’s put a stake through its heart and buried it. Heavy breathing in Washington and the EU won’t dust that over. Apartheid in flagrante delicto, not even a fig leaf for cover. If Herzog wins it will stretch out the fan dance of the piece by piece process. It will help tipping-point American Jews stop thinking about the reality of Israel since “the good guys” (hardly that) won. I think Phil is light years off on this one.

11. aiman
    March 17, 2015, 8:54 am

Call me a pessimist but liberal Zionism – open any oped, so-called academic opinion by so-called forward thinking Zionist liberal and you will be alerted to the same unhinged paranoia – will never deliver the Palestinians outside the Wall. Liberal Zionism is more a case of dissatisfaction than honest humanism. It will keep the Occupation alive because Zionism says so.

12. John Douglas
    March 17, 2015, 9:04 am

I don’t see a tight connection between a Netanyahu loss (or even a collapse of the right wing in Israel) and the decline of the neocons. The neocons clearly did Likud’s bidding and did so with vast money supplies. But there are vast money supplies that support the warfare economy, the security economy, the anti-environmentalists. Neocons have sophisticated and effective ways to infiltrate government and influence or control US foreign policy. I don’t see that not being bought and paid for by someone.

13. Kay24
    March 17, 2015, 9:11 am

I feel Phil’s emotion when I read his words. Many here agree that Netanyahu has passed his expiration date, and MUST go. He has done more damage than good, not only in Israel, but extends to his neighbors and beyond. Even the one and only nation that gave Israel unwavering support, aid, and weapons, was used by Netanyahu for his own devious reasons, pitting the Congress against Obama, and leaving behind bickering American leaders. Netanyahu has been a disaster, especially for the Palestinians. Who have suffered tremendously because of his arrogant and ruthless policies.

I totally agree with those who say that now is the time for Netanyahu to be booted out.
    A few more years of Bibi, will be hard to take. Yes, I do agree that any zionist who wins and is PM will never help the Palestinian cause, but at least there will be some effort to work with Obama and some half hearted attempt to show the new PM is different from Bibi.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      March 17, 2015, 9:18 am

Tzipi Livni was the architect of the ‘Cast Lead’ massacre. She was also recorded, in the Palestine Papers, as turning down an offer from the PA which included everything but the kitchen sink – and maybe that could be thrown in too.

Isaac Herzog complained that this summer’s massacre wasn’t ‘tough’ enough. During his tenure as Housing Minister, he greatly expanded the settlements, nearly all of which he has said Israel will keep.

These people offer NOTHING except more colonialism and brutality. If Herzog becomes PM, fully expect another killing spree in Gaza within months, as this mild mannered administrator proves he’s man enough to lead Israel.

However, because he speaks nicely, and knows to be polite to his American betters, he will be regarded as the great white hope, and we’II be back to the ‘no partner for peace’ nonsense.

In short, a Herzog government will be a complete disaster for the Palestinians, even more so than the status quo. Forza Bibi!

• seafoid
        March 17, 2015, 9:43 am

Well said. Israeli Jews are educated to hate Palestinians so the notion that they can suddenly see the light on the road to Damascus or Gaza is for the birds .

Salivating Yank journalists dazzled by the prospect of an orange revolution should read Amira Hass in Haaretz for the minutiae of Israeli cruelty.

• can of worms
        March 17, 2015, 10:57 am

@seafoid: “Israeli Jews are educated to hate Palestinians”. The other day a progressive lib-Zio voting for the Zionist bloc said, “I actually think the Arab List is a good thing; the Arabs have come to understand what democracy is. They still have a long way to go, but they are improving.” As if Jewish-Staters would even recognize democracy. As if Palestinians have to be “improved’ by them – the sheer colonialism in that.

• Kay24
        March 17, 2015, 11:22 am

It is unfortunately true. NO ONE who becomes PM will ever end the occupation nor stop the illegal settlement, it is part of the zionist policies to gradually snatch all the lands possible, so that the Palestinians have been vanquished from their own territories. The UN has predicted that by 2020 the Palestinian territories will be unlivable, so I guess that is the ultimate goal of those despicable zionists.

• italian ex-pat
        March 17, 2015, 1:04 pm

MDM

I’m afraid I have to agree with you, the demise of Netanyahu from power is not going to make a bit of difference vis-a-vis the Palestinians’ hopes. Much as I ‘d personally love to see Bibi defeated, any short term satisfaction would end in a long term loss for the Palestinians. Much better for him to continue to be the face of Israel, do you think he would get more invitations to speak in the American Congress, or anywhere else? I can just picture the raised eyebrows and the snickering everytime he opens his mouth, not to mention that for him and the rest of the country who reelected him it might be the end of the gravy train from Uncle Sam.

• Bornajoo
        March 17, 2015, 4:30 pm

+1 MDM! Perfectly stated. I Couldn’t agree more with you and all the other commentators who hold this opinion.

Go Bibi!!

• MRW
        March 17, 2015, 5:16 pm

the Arabs have come to understand what democracy is.

That’s rich since they introduced the concept in 9th century Spain to a feudal Europe.

14. amigo
    March 17, 2015, 9:17 am

My two cents worth.

Obama is finally up to his limit , both with nietandyahu and Israel,s politicians in general.I believe it was him ,(or Kerry) who stated just a few days ago , that whoever leads Israel must be serious about a two state solution and he means , “serious”.This latest , (no Palestinian state while he is in power) kick in the groin from nietanyahu will only harden his attitude and I believe the gloves are off.If Herzog wins , he will be given the details of the American peace plan and it won,t look like anything seen to date.I believe Obama has taken up the challenge from Israel and it,s supporters and intends to extract a price .

i wonder if Obama will follow the EU decision to take hamas off the Terrorist list just to send another message to the US bestest friend and ally.

Just my hmo.

15. W.Jones
    March 17, 2015, 9:32 am

Yes, Herzog’s ticket will get more votes than Likud.

But how is it conceivable that Netanyahu will not be prime minister, since the right wing parties will together will still outnumber the “left” ones in votes? How do people see left wing parties getting more votes in total and putting together a bigger coalition than the right wing ones?

For Netanyahu to lose, you have to accept the claim that a significant part of the right wing parties will join the “left” wing ticket. How do you see that happening?

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      March 17, 2015, 12:20 pm

Yeah, I think ‘libzios’ are so desperate to undo the years of Bibi inflicted damage to their precious self image that they are exaggerating the chances of a ‘leftist’ win. I don’t claim any expertise in Israeli party politics, but from what I’ve read, the most likely outcome is still that Bibi remains PM, albeit in a weaker position than before.

16. amigo
    March 17, 2015, 9:34 am

“The right-wing government is in danger. Arab voters are going en masse to the polls. Left-wing NGOs are bringing them on buses,” he said.” nietanyahu

“Netanyahu’s message, delivered in a video on Facebook, came shortly after the Joint List of Arab parties announced that as of 11 a.m., 10 percent of Israeli Arabs voted, as opposed to 3% at the same time in the last election. After the prime minister issued his warning, the party decided to stop releasing Arab voting numbers.

“We only have you,” a visibly tired Netanyahu pleaded. “Go to the polls, bring your friends and family, vote Machal [Likud] to close the gap between us and Labor [Zionist Union].”

“With your help and God’s help, we will form a nationalist government that will protect the State of Israel,” he added.”

Question?.

Why would he use the increased Arab participation to convince his supporters to get out and vote and then stop releasing the numbers.A very tired and confused king, eh.

He could be lying of course, (naw, not bibi surely) but imagine the audacity of those antisemitic lefties giving a lift to the polls to non Jewish Israelis.What is Israel coming to.

17. Boomer
    March 17, 2015, 9:38 am

Mr. Weiss, I hope that things work out as you hope they will. I don’t see how a liberal Zionist win will lead to an end of Washington’s captivity, as you put it, but I’ve learned that I am unable to predict the future. Perhaps things will unfold as you would like. As for me, I’m dubious. I think we need a Clean Break.

18. seafoid
    March 17, 2015, 9:51 am

Use of the word “crush” in the title reminds me of the song “crush with eyeliner”

Crush Bibi and get Herzog who is the Zionist equivalent of eyeliner.
    Eyeliner is makeup and closely related to pig lipstick.
    Zionism needs a brain transplant. Some way to get compassion in permanently and change the default from bad faith.

My Palestinian Arabic teacher always said “they are all the same”
    Sah . Behind those sunglasses, heartless.

So no way an election is going to change the pathology.

March 17, 2015, 9:58 am

“My Palestinian Arabic teacher always said “they are all the same” Sah . Behind those sunglasses, heartless.”

That’s Zionism.

• seafoid
        March 17, 2015, 10:05 am

“That’s Zionism”.

It’s not amore either

It’s hatred and self loathing, essentially

March 17, 2015, 10:10 am

Dang! One of my all- time favorites!

“It’s hatred and self loathing, essentially”

It’s its own special brand of disorder.

• seafoid
        March 17, 2015, 11:00 am

“In the corner there is light
        That is good for you
        And behind you,
        I have warned you
        There are awful things”

And Zionism is so far from the light now. Force feeding kids persecution memes and expecting them to grow up normal is incoherent.

19. W.Jones
    March 17, 2015, 9:51 am

Phil,

Netanyahu and the opposition parties can have either effect when in power.

A month ago, you could make the case that you would not want Netanyahu to speak to Congress, because it would advocate war with Iran. And now afterwards you can see that it had a salutary effect of disillusionment with Iran.

About 2002, you could make the case that you would not want Netanyahu to speak to Congress on Iraq, because it would more likely mean war with Iraq, and you would be right.

In other words, things can turn out different ways and it is hard to make a totally solid prediction. Someone in chess can make one move, and it can normally be a good move, but it just means that the other player has to react accordingly and change strategy.

Yes, if Herzog wins, it will make it harder to blame the Israelis when you are in conversation with J Street people, because they can more easily imagine that they have a new government that is open to change. You can change your strategy though and point out that even now with a “liberal” government in power they still have discrimination. So you case can now be bolstered by the failure to bring changes with Herzog. Yes, you might have to work harder because more people might be happy about a new Israeli government. But then again, a more liberal government might really allow NGOs some more wiggle room that can make solidarity work easier too there, and this could pay off over time.

So I think that the Israeli election is not really determinative by itself, it just means that there are new realities and people with concerns for Palestinians have to continue to adjust their analyses and strategies too as time goes on.

Syria and Ukraine are disasters. Herzog will not be a disaster, it’s just uncertain if his coalition will get enough support, because frankly it looks like Israelis probably would prefer a right government than a “left” one.

20. just
    March 17, 2015, 10:03 am

“3:37 P.M. MK Dov Khenin accuses Netanyahu of racism and incitement against Arab voters

Joint List candidate and Knesset member Dov Khenin petitioned the Central Election Committee to remove the Likud campaign which casts Arab voters in a negative light.

“A prime minister who campaigns against voting by citizens belonging to an ethnic minority is crossing a red line of incitement and racism. This is especially severe on Election Day, when the message to Israeli citizens is to participate in the elections, vote, and take part in the democratic system. A statement like that, issued by the prime minister, shows that he has completely lost his way and that he is ready to break all the principles of democracy to safeguard his regime.” (Haaretz) ”

• seafoid
      March 17, 2015, 10:24 am

48 years of occupation, more than 75% of Israel’s history and in the OT only Jews are allowed to vote. What sort of democracy is THAT ?

March 17, 2015, 10:31 am

It’s not a “democracy”– it’s never, ever been one.

Millions of disenfranchised people live under its filthy boot~ they have no rights nor are they afforded the protections that are codified in international law.

“Mousa Abu Maria’s vote will be counted in today’s Israeli elections — but he won’t step foot in a polling station.

Instead, the 36-year-old Palestinian activist has asked an Israeli to cast a ballot for the party he thinks will fight for Palestinian rights: the Joint List, the preferred choice among many Palestinian citizens of the state.

“Palestine is still under Israeli occupation; that should mean I have the right to vote. I don’t have my own country and Israel still controls everything. Israel has control of our life,” Abu Maria, who lives in the West Bank town of Beit Ommar and does not hold Israeli citizenship, told the Star.

Ofer Neiman, an Israeli freelance translator who lives in Jerusalem, is casting his ballot for Abu Maria. He said he chose to give his vote in protest of what he views as undemocratic elections.

“One of the issues is millions of Palestinians who are under Israeli control in the occupied territories,” Neiman said. “They cannot vote in the elections that determine their fate, including matters of life and death.”

But for Mousa Abu Maria in the West Bank, it’s much more than that.

“When we talk about democracy, this is a big word,” he said, explaining that participating in the campaign allows him to make his voice heard.

“If you talk about democracy, you talk about freedom and justice — I don’t have both.””

21. David Doppler
    March 17, 2015, 10:05 am

Great piece, Phil. And this moment would not be happening, not be happening as it is happening, without the essential role played by Mondoweiss, influencer of ideas in the Middle East, shaper of thinking on the Middle East throughout the world.

Just as Moshe Kahlon fixed cellphone monopoly pricing by throwing it open to new competition, you opened up a new stall in the marketplace of ideas at a time when the monopolists were overcharging for stale goods. You’ve had a brisk business, and this customer is very satisfied.

I am grateful that Netanyahu, in the end, dropped all pretense, and made it all about preventing a Palestinian state, fear and racism now, fear and racism tomorrow, fear and racism forever. “Wait, guys, everything I ever said about the peace process, at Bar-Ilan, to the Americans, to the world, that was just fake, you KNEW it was fake, it was just cover for our true mission of ethnic cleansing and genocide. And you’d better get out the vote because our enemies are everywhere and are going to take over and make peace.”

And he was reported on NewsHour saying so. There was no acknowledgement by Judy and Gwen that his statement meant, oh, so you’ve been lying to us now for decades? And we’ve been reporting your lies as if they meant something else. But they know. They know they owe the gods of journalism some serious penance and atonement on that one. They know all the Neocons were in on all the lying from day one, and that they’ve been used and abused by these racist liars for much of their professional lives.

So I think it all moves us to another stage.

22. JoelReinstein
    March 17, 2015, 10:08 am

Gotta disagree here. I don’t see how one electoral victory for “liberal” Zionism will marginalize right-wing Zionism, or provide an opening for anti-Zionism.

We have to parse out the idea that the Zionist Union will be “more obedient to world opinion and the European Union.” Popular opinion around the world is different from the aims of the EU and the United States, who want their “watchdog” in Israel to be back on the leash. Joseph Massad makes a compelling argument that recent EU decisions to recognize “Palestine” are geared towards creating a reservation, under the collaborationist PA, on 22% of Palestine. Pressure from the US, in the form of Kerry’s “apartheid” comment and White House warnings about a “tsunami” of boycotts, have similar aims. They’re trying to resurrect what Adam Hanieh rightly calls the two-state strategy, and the Zionist Union will too. They’ll try to repair the fissure created by rabid right-wing Zionism that’s at odds with the US & EU, a fissure anti-Zionists can exploit.

It’s really hard to believe that right-wing Zionism will suddenly go away with the Zionist Union in power. One defeat will not marginalize them, and J-Street, still excluded from much of anti-Palestinian in the US, will not suddenly take over. They _will_ become more relevant – and that’s a problem.

The impotence of “liberal” Zionism has highlighted its impossible contradictions, forcing people to choose between right-wing Zionism and anti-Zionism, far more coherent positions. Its resurgence could revitalize the two-state illusion that needs to die, pushing the discourse back to the false choice between different strains of Zionism.

I don’t mean to say that a win for the Zionist Union is the end of the world, but I think it does create another hurdle. I would prefer delusional enemies to ones who knows their limits.

23. seafoid
    March 17, 2015, 10:12 am

“So I can’t wait for the monster Netanyahu to be gone – ”

“There go the people. I must follow them, for I am their leader,” Alexandre Ledru-Rollin (1807-1874), a French politician

Yossi Israeli is the monster . Trauma. Both inherited and school fed.

24. seafoid
    March 17, 2015, 10:30 am

Zeev Sternhell gets it

“Therefore, the realistic alternative lies in external intervention that will be massive enough to shake Israelis out of the placidity of their comfortable lives.
    Only when everyone among us can feel the price of the occupation in their flesh, will the end to blue-and-white colonialism and apartheid come. Only when the economy is hit in a way that affects the overall standard of living, or when security is undermined as a result of a serious threat to American interests in the region, will the real treatment for eliminating the occupation and guaranteeing our future begin. ”

Yossi has got to feel serious economic pain before he sees the light.

March 17, 2015, 11:01 am

Zeev is correct.

otoh, here’s the Zionist Huckster:

“Jordan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia will lament Netanyahu loss, says Huckabee

In an interview with Fox News’ Megyn Kelly, former governor and presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said that while the ‘White House will be popping champagne,’ Gulf states will lament a Netanyahu loss.”

• piotr
        March 17, 2015, 11:37 am

Somewhat hilarious. “Axis of progress and democracy: Likud and Gulf monarchies”. Marriage made in heaven!

25. Donald
    March 17, 2015, 10:33 am

I hope you’re right. Like some others, I don’t feel confident predicting the future. I can predict the past though (hat tip to Bohr’s comment on that). In the past, when liberal Zionists are in power it is very very easy for mainstream American liberals to assume that a “peace process” is all that is needed and if it doesn’t produce results, to then blame the Palestinians. You find this narrative spouted in virtually every comment thread at the NYT–that Israel offered the Palestinians peace several times, and they rejected it. So I expect more of the same. The only thing that has produced real criticism of Israel in the US are people like Netanyahu, Begin, and Sharon. Netanyahu’s arrogance is so breathtaking it became impossible to ignore. Get rid of him and the US press and politicians go right back to their comfort zone. And if you think anti-Zionists will now have a place at the table in the US, show the evidence. I don’t see it.

Which is not to say that you’re all wrong either–Netanyahu is such a warmonger it would be safer to have a saner person as Prime Minister, at least from the standpoint of making an attack on Iran a bit less likely. And maybe the liberal Zionists can be challenged to deliver. I’ll be happy if liberal Israelis can produce a real peace–there’s just not much evidence that they can.

I’m reminded a little of Obama’s Nobel Peace Prize–he got it for his Obamaness, not for any actual accomplishment at that point. (He might deserve one if the Iran deal goes through, though he is still terrible on the drone strike issue). Liberal Zionists often get credit for imaginary accomplishments in the same way. Maybe they can deliver, but right now Obama has a better chance of that.

26. Annie Robbins
    March 17, 2015, 10:40 am

The neoconservatives will have been driven from Washington. Bill Kristol will be thoroughly discredited. … The neoconservatives will be driven from the national stage.

ha! wishful thinking indeed. there’s nothing i’d like better but this won’t be happening. for example, look at dershowitz. you could prance him around with a dozen pubescents and he’d still be clamoring away on the msm shoving himself down our throats. and this boteach character, a stake driven thru his corpse and he’d still be back!

other than that i think you’re right on. i do think it would open up the main stage for a showdown between the (non)liberal zionists and supporters of equality in this country. i’m with you on everything else, always hopeful. but i don’t think labor will fold on allowing a palestinian state. it’s going to take the international community … and bds. keep up the pressure.

• seafoid
      March 17, 2015, 11:05 am

Yossi wants to have his cake and eat it.

Walt

“No matter how well-written or delivered, a speech cannot divert whole societies from a well-established course of action. Policies in motion tend to remain in motion; to change the trajectory of a deeply-entrenched set of initiatives requires the application of political forces of equal momentum.
      For realists like me, in short, halting a colonial enterprise that has been underway for over forty years will require a lot more than wise and well-intentioned words. Instead, it would require the exercise of power.”

This is why empires fall. Hubris and overreach. And God isn’t going to be there when it counts for Israel. Because God doesn’t do detail or reward idiocy.

27. seafoid
    March 17, 2015, 11:15 am

Even if Netanyahu is humiliated the torturers will continue to work as normal in Judaism’s holiest city, Jews will still spit at non Jews in Judaism’s second holiest city, hypocrites will take ritual baths in their Jew only colonies on other people’s land and the whole insanity of YESHA will end another day in peace as if the status quo is eternal.

28. Kay24
    March 17, 2015, 11:37 am

Netanyahu’s warning to his right wing supporters that Arabs are voting, sounds so derogatory and racist. Imagine if an American leader warns his supporters that “Blacks/Hispanics” are voting.
    It sounds terrible.

March 17, 2015, 11:44 am

” Imagine if an American leader warns his supporters that “Blacks/Hispanics” are voting.”

Republicans do, all the time. If not that what was all the “voter-fraud” nonsense about?

• Kay24
        March 17, 2015, 11:34 pm

Of course there are racists in the US too, but I have never heard them give such an ominous warning just before elections, urging people to vote, because Blacks/Hispanics are voting in large numbers. I guess they are more subtle in how they say stuff.

March 18, 2015, 5:45 pm

” but I have never heard them give such an ominous warning just before elections,”

You know, Kay24, I think you’re right. Now that I think about it, they usually use it in the US to try and invalidate (in their own minds) an election which has already happened (ie: ‘Obama only won cause all the minorities voted for him’ kind of thing or ‘all the illegal aliens are voting’)

29. jon s
    March 17, 2015, 12:36 pm

Of course I’m hoping –and voted- for Netanyahu’s defeat.
    I do have a problem with Phil’s declared motivation:

“I look at everything Israeli first in terms of my interest, as an American who wants to end the Zionist captivity in the U.S.”

And:

“I’m in it because I want to end the Zionist ideology in the U.S. and free the Palestinians.”

Phil ,what’s missing here is any apparent concern for the good of your own people/nation/religion/ethnic group (I’m not getting into the endless debate over the definition in this post). You’re concerned with what’s good for America, and what’s good for the Palestinians, yet the question of what’s in the best interests of the Jews (in Israel, in the US, in Europe…) doesn’t register, doesn’t even come in third.
    This apparent alienation from Jewish concerns may mean that you’ll never win the debate inside the community with Jeremy Ben-Ami and Peter Beinart.

March 17, 2015, 1:26 pm

I think you need to revisit Phil’s post.

You did not “get it.” Maybe you can’t/won’t.

March 17, 2015, 5:57 pm

“just” the post above from “Jon s” shows why, although I’ll do almost anything to imagine I’m making people smile, I’ve never, ever thought about doing a parody-Zionist thing. I don’t think I could come close, not within a mile.

March 17, 2015, 6:04 pm

I don’t think you have that in you, Mooser.

For that I am grateful.

It is an astonishing post, worthy of a truly self-absorbed Zionist devoid of humanity.

March 17, 2015, 6:21 pm

“It is an astonishing post,”

It’s pretty good, yes, but “The Phils will Fall Away”, by Hophmi, is still, I think, ahead in the emetic-comments Sweepstakes. If “Jon s” has read that, he would know it’s no use appealing to Phil’s “diseased” mind. He’s got the self-hate, bad, says Hophmi, and that ain’t good.

March 17, 2015, 6:39 pm

I just thought of something very depressing. If my memory is correct, “Jon s” has mentioned he is a teacher.

March 17, 2015, 6:46 pm

“Israeli history teacher”

No surprise there.

March 18, 2015, 5:56 pm

You know, I’ve been wondering for quite q while, but I’ve been afraid to ask. Would our Zio-bots act the same way, assume the same entitled, you-owe-me, I’m-the-boss-of-you, attitude, if this blog was run by a Phil Smith, or Phil Jones? I can’t help but wonder. I can’t account for it at all.

And if that’s the way they talk to a grown, educated and pretty self-aware person, can you imagine the stuff they feed kids, and the methods they use? Shudder.

• Bornajoo
        March 18, 2015, 6:07 pm

“You know, I’ve been wondering for quite q while, but I’ve been afraid to ask. Would our Zio-bots act the same way, assume the same entitled, you-owe-me, I’m-the-boss-of-you, attitude, if this blog was run by a Phil Smith, or Phil Jones? I can’t help but wonder.”

Great question Mooser!

• amigo
      March 17, 2015, 1:52 pm

“You’re concerned with what’s good for America, and what’s good for the Palestinians, yet the question of what’s in the best interests of the Jews (in Israel, in the US, in Europe…) doesn’t register, doesn’t even come in third “jon s

Well , that,s easy.

What is bad for the Palestinians and America , is bad for Israel and Jews.

March 17, 2015, 5:30 pm

“Jon s” you did it. That comment was so utterly reprehensible, so anti-Semitic, and casts you in such a bad light, I’m speechless. Do you even have the slightest idea what you just said?

• Kay24
        March 18, 2015, 3:10 am

Either he is unable to grasp the ugliness of his comment, or just like most zionists do not give a darn. In his mind, ALL Jews must support Jews first, even if the Jews are horrible wrong in what they do. In his mind criticizing Israel is also criticizing Jews, again illogical thinking by zionists.

I guess the concept of trying to criticize a nation, and fighting for the rights of the victims of it’s brutal occupation, and criticizing your own nation for supporting it, is beyond any zionist’s mind.
        For them, whether it is a massacre, land theft, condemnation by the rest of the world, whatever war crime it commits, you have to support it FIRST, after all it was all done by Jews, and Jews must be supported no matter what they do. Sheeesh.

March 18, 2015, 11:49 am

Kay24, while I would agree with you, what absolutely astounds me is “Jons” ability to be absolutely ingenuous about his racist entitlement, as if he is urging Phil to greater virtue!! And this he puts where everybody can read it. This is obviously a man, this “Jon s” who knows a lot about people, and how to deal with all kinds of people. It shows in every sentence.
        Yes sir, with guys like that pushing it, Zionism is slated for a big future.

March 17, 2015, 5:34 pm

“Phil ,what’s missing here is any apparent concern for the good of your own people/nation/religion/ethnic group”

Are you accusing Phil Weiss of lacking dual loyalty? Better be careful what you say, “Jon s”!
      How dare you!

March 17, 2015, 5:40 pm

“You’re concerned with what’s good for America, and what’s good for the Palestinians, yet the question of what’s in the best interests of the Jews (in Israel, in the US, in Europe…) doesn’t register, doesn’t even come in third”

The young yeshiva student, who could read Russian, ran into schul brandishing a newspaper and crying “Rabbi, Rabbi, it says here the sun will crash into the Earth in 250 million years, and destroy all life! What should we do?”
      The Rabbi looked up from his Holy books, and said “I have only one question: Is this good for the Jews, or bad for the Jews?”

Now, “Jon s” you do understand that that is a joke, don’t you?

March 17, 2015, 6:05 pm

Ah, I get it! All of those things apply to Phil’s ideal relationship with Zionism (“your own people/nation/religion/ethnic group”) but none of them apply to Phil’s relationship with the US, and its people. Oh, that’s rich, “Jon s”. You are a fine piece of work.

• yonah fredman
      March 17, 2015, 7:15 pm

jon s- Phil has been very clear for quite some time that he does not give more than half a shrug about the Jewish people. Here’s a quote from Hannah Arendt that clarifies the difference between someone who cares (Arendt) and someone who does not care (Phil Weiss).

In the aftermath of publishing her book (or articles) on the Eichmann trial as a result of the furor of the reactions of many Jews, The American Council for Judaism (much praised here on mw by phil w.) invited Arendt, offered her protection and a public forum in which she could reply to her critics. She refused and wrote to the council:

“You know that I was a Zionist and that my reason for breaking with the Zionist organization was very different from the anti-Zionist stand of the Council: I am not against Israel on principle, I am against certain important Israeli policies. I know, or believe I know, that should catastrophe overtake this Jewish state, for whatever reasons (even reasons of their own foolishness) this would be the perhaps final catastrophe for the whole Jewish people, no matter what opinions every one of us might hold at the moment.”

March 18, 2015, 11:42 am

“Jon s- Phil has been very clear for quite some time that he does not give more than half a shrug about the Jewish people.”

And what the f–k do Yonah and Jon s plan to do about it. Phil Weiss is such a moser a kapo and so they will talk about it every day in the comment section Phil Weiss provides for them!

And let’s remember, this is all because although Phil Weiss states he would like to see Netanyahoo beaten, “Jon s” says his motivation for wanting to see Nettie beat is wrong!!

One thing about Yonah and Jon s, they have a great grasp of tribal unity. Good thing they are both commissars.

30. Amar
    March 17, 2015, 12:43 pm

The problem is Israel as a whole has become too right wing over the years. A liberal or centrist Zio govt is still right wing in essence on trading land for peace and Pal statehood. Its not even a factor in the election. The only reason I would be glad for Netanyahu to lose is that it may ratchet down the push to war with Iran. Not sure of Herzogs policies on this, but suspect he may be less maniacal or not as vigorously opposed to U.S/Iran rapprochement as Netanyahu may be. Not that N’yahu even believes in any threat from Iran, but that it is useful in taking the focus and pressure off Israel with regards to peace and the Pals. So a bit curious as to how Herzog would handle this.

Before Iran became a real big ‘issue’ for the zios, the way they would weasel out of any progress or accommodation with Pals would be to kill a Hamas (or other) militant fully expecting a violent response that could be labeled as terrorism and shout from the top of their lungs that you cant make peace with terrorists. But with terrorism down or subdued, they only have Iran to make that argument for them. So what will Herzogs way be to keep intl pressure off Israel on the peace front?

31. eljay
    March 17, 2015, 12:56 pm

|| jon s: You’re concerned with what’s good for America … ||

He’s American who doesn’t want his country to get dragged down by an oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and supremacist “Jewish State”. Makes sense.

|| … and what’s good for the Palestinians … ||

He seems to care about justice, accountability and equality. Makes sense.

|| … yet the question of what’s in the best interests of the Jews (in Israel, in the US, in Europe…) doesn’t register, doesn’t even come in third. … ||

1. The Israeli election should be about the interests of “the Israelis”, not “the Jews”.

2. Justice, accountability and equality – which Phil seems to care about – aren’t in the best interests of Jewish supremacism or a supremacist “Jewish State”, but they are in the best interests of “the Jews” (and of everyone else in the world).

March 17, 2015, 5:46 pm

“Jon s” it’s probably worse than you think!! Not only is it apparent that Phil Weiss does not have Jewish interests foremost in his mind, I sometimes suspect he doesn’t even care about the primacy of the white race! Can’t you recall him to his true sense of self, of his worth?

March 17, 2015, 8:03 pm

Wait a minute, I think I know what it is, “Jon s”!
        Do you think maybe Phil Wiess is “going native”?
        Happens sometimes, when a man doesn’t understand the duties he owes to his “own people/nation/religion/ethnic group” and he’s surrounded by foreign temptations.

• eljay
        March 17, 2015, 8:16 pm

|| Mooser: “eljay” what would make “Jon s” comment a good substitute for ipecac in the home medicine-cabinet is his absolutely wince-making air of recalling Phil Weiss to his ethnic duty. ||

March 18, 2015, 11:53 am

“Maybe he’s making a noble effort to bring Phil back into the fold before he strays too far from the “Jewish nation” and someone like Mikhaeleee swoops in and excommunicates him…?”

Too late for Mikhael, he’s to busy paying child support. Yonah took care of Phil a few comments later, proving that Hannah Arrendt wouldn’t like Phil!

32. RoHa
    March 17, 2015, 1:14 pm

“. You’re concerned with what’s good for America, and what’s good for the Palestinians, yet the question of what’s in the best interests of the Jews (in Israel, in the US, in Europe…) doesn’t register, doesn’t even come in third. This apparent alienation from Jewish concerns may mean that you’ll never win the debate inside the community with Jeremy Ben-Ami and Peter Beinart”.

Let me get this clear. Are you suggesting that Jews are more concerned about what is “good for the Jews” than about what is good for their country or about humanitarian concerns?

I thought that was supposed to be an anti-Semitic “trope”.

But if it is true that Phil’s loyalty to his country and his common human decency would lead to his views being rejected by the Jewish “community”, that only shows how corrupt and degraded tha “community” has become.

• jon s
      March 28, 2015, 2:28 am

I’ve decided to revisit my comment here (written on Election Day…) which provoked so many reactions.

If Phil writes and acts as an American, out of concern for American interests

• jon s
        March 28, 2015, 4:22 am

sorry , the full comment appears below.

33. just
    March 17, 2015, 1:40 pm

“6:50 P.M. Netanyahu slams election panel decision to bar his address from the airwaves

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said “no one will shut us up,” after the Central Elections Committee barred the media from airing his address, deeming it “illegal election propaganda.”

“All day, politicians have been talking in the media. Tzipi, Bougi and Yair Lapid talked in every possible TV studio and issued obvious campaign propaganda. The only one barred from talking over the media – is me. The Likud prime minister,” Netanyahu said in a Facebook post.

It should be noted that Netanyahu appeared earlier on Tuesday on a Channel 10 talk show.

In his statement, posted on his Facebook page, Netanyahu called on his supporters to vote, saying the margin between Likud and the Zionist Union is due to “foreign funds” funneled to “leftist groups.”

Netanyahu also referred to his earlier statements that “the right’s regime is in danger. The Arabs are moving in droves to the polling stations.” Netanyahu said that there’s nothing wrong with Jewish and Arab citizens voting as they see fit, but accused “funds from foreign governments and organizations” of being used to bring Arab voters “en masse” to the polling stations.

According to Netanyahu, this skews the elections in the left’s favor, giving power to the “extremist Arab list,” meaning the Joint List, headed by Israeli Arab Ayman Odeh. (Haaretz)”

Nobody has been able to “shut” him up~ a significant sign and symptom of narcissistic megalomania.

• amigo
      March 17, 2015, 2:00 pm

This from the man who has used every angle he could to intervene in the US election process.

ffs.

• a blah chick
      March 17, 2015, 2:27 pm

“Netanyahu said that there’s nothing wrong with Jewish and Arab citizens voting as they see fit, but accused “funds from foreign governments and organizations” of being used to bring Arab voters “en masse” to the polling stations.” Is this the definition of passive/aggressive?

Meanwhile one of the hasbara twits on twitter is busy contorting himself into knots explaining away The Butcher’s racism:

Haviv Rettig Gur
      ‏@havivrettiggur
      Netanyahu is not a racist, but on Election Day, in a moment of need, decided to mobilize far-right base by demonizing Arabs

Then when taken to task:

Amir Tibon ‏@amirtibon 5h5 hours ago
      @havivrettiggur I love your writing Haviv but putting make-up on this thing is shameful.

Haviv Rettig Gur ‏@havivrettiggur 5h5 hours ago
      @amirtibon who’s putting makeup? You’re going election-crazy. Bibi’s racist campaign is worse, not better, for being so out of character

Got that? The racism is so out of character. Still Tibon was having none of it so in the end Gur fell back on the “it’s complicated” excuse:

Haviv Rettig Gur ‏@havivrettiggur 5h5 hours ago
      @amirtibon Reality is lame. Complexity is lame. I’m lame. Guilty as charged.

I’m so enjoying this show.

• eljay
        March 17, 2015, 2:48 pm

|| a blah chick: Got that? The racism is so out of character. Still Tibon was having none of it so in the end Gur fell back on the “it’s complicated” excuse … ||

Despite being the prime minister of Israel, King Bibi is unapologetically a “Jewish State” supremacist. Perhaps what Mr. Gur meant to say is: “The public display of racism is so out of character. Bibi’s usually very good at keeping his hatred of non-Jews private.”

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        March 17, 2015, 7:39 pm

I’ve heard the same shrugging off of Bibi’s comments. ”So one guy says something in the heat of the moment and you tar all Israelis with it?” Never mind that this ‘one guy’ has been the dominant figure in IsraeIi poIitiics for nearly a quarter of a century and is likely to be reelected PM yet again.

This type of ‘reasoning’ never stopped them from going on and on and on and on about what ‘one guy’ – who’s no longer even in power – said about ‘wiping Israel off the map’ a full decade ago. Never mind that he didn’t even say it.

34. OyVey00
    March 17, 2015, 1:44 pm

@jon s

Maybe he just realized that convincing nationalists that their nation would be better off by being just another minor state in Asia rather than a regional great power that has de-facto control over Washington, is pretty futile.

Standard leftist shaming tactics (“You are EVIL”) are probably more effective, especially on liberal Jews. Since they suffer from cognitive dissonance anyway.

Also you’ll get much more goy support if you don’t argue as a Jew, but as an American.

• jon s
      March 28, 2015, 2:51 am

If Phil writes and acts as an American, out of concern for American interests- that’s understandable, and justified, and I have no problem.

If Phil is concerned for Palestinian rights – that’s fine with me, too. So am I.

What’s lacking, in my view , is any concern, somewhere in his list of concerns and motivations, for the Jewish people. If he would have written , even as an afterthought “… and (such-and-such) would also ultimately be in the best interests of the Jews”. Caring about your own community is a perfectly natural ,healthy, inclination. The lack of any such concern strikes me as reflecting an alienation that’s not found in Peter Beinart and Jeremy Ben Ami.

• Ellen
        March 28, 2015, 4:40 am

Jon s, you simply do not get it. Your comment is filled with pathological narcissism. Small minded, pathetic and dangerous.

We humans are the same “tribe!” If my fellow traveller cares about one, he cares about all.

If he holds the value of one person or group over another, he cares for no one.

The alienation you describe is your own alienation from humanity.

• RoHa
        March 28, 2015, 6:11 am

Phil is an American. As far as I know, he was born and brought up in America. Americans grow most of the food he eats and purify and pump the water he drinks. The community that cleans his streets, teaches his children, provides electricity and dozens of other services is the American community. The American community is the community that sustains him, and the community of which he is a member. When he shows concern for American interests, for all Americans (American Jews included), he is showing concern for his own community.

When he shows concern for justice and human rights, he has expanded his view to include the interests of all humanity, the entire human community.

Why do you want him to reject his own community, and ignore the bulk of the human race, by showing special concern for Jews?

• catalan
        March 28, 2015, 8:38 am

We humans are the same “tribe!” Ellen
        Doesn’t seem like they got your memo in Ukraine. Or Yemen. Or anywhere.

35. OyVey00
    March 17, 2015, 1:55 pm

LOL Bibi got Chuck Norris on his side.

• jon s
      April 2, 2015, 2:50 pm

Ellen ,
      I don’t know which planet you live on, but in this world we do belong to communities (“tribes”, if you like…), usually multiple communities simultaneously. For example , my cousin in Boston is an American, and a Jew , and a Bostonian, and a Democrat, and a Red Sox fan, and a music -lover…and more.
      It’s quite natural to care about the various communities one belongs to and identifies with. It seemed to me that Phil expressed a lack of concern for a community to which he belongs.

36. eGuard
    March 17, 2015, 2:03 pm

OK, Phil, you’ve convinced me in the first half: out with the Neotanyahu-cons .

The follow-up you describe is mostly wishful thinking. We have no trust or proof from history that Liberal Zionists will solve anything. Simple check: before the Netanyahu-cons they had a big say too and have not brought anything. Not in the US, not in Israel. We can not rely on J-Street and friends; we’ll have to force them just as well.

Vote BDS.

37. Terry Weber
    March 17, 2015, 2:39 pm

I think for the average Palestinian it will not make much difference who becomes Prime Minster. The Occupation will continue as usual. There will probably be another attack on Gaza no matter who is in power; more settlers, house demolitions etc. I think it will be much harder (much more work for Mondoweiss) to engage the liberal Zionist as they will say , “see democracy works.” You also never mention other factors in this election -the economy.
    And , as Annie Robbins says about no-conservatives not going anywhere is right on.
    So, Phil, thanks for stimulating us to think a bit.

38. JLewisDickerson
    March 17, 2015, 3:33 pm

RE: “I am in Israel hoping to see the end of an era, the downfall of Benjamin Netanyahu. I hope that he is crushed in the election tonight. Many who care about Palestinians want Netanyahu to be reelected. They say that things must get worse before they get better, or that no one has done more to delegitimize the state of Israel in the eyes of the world than crude Benjamin Netanyahu the king of the Jews.” ~ Weiss

TWO GOOD REASONS TO HOPE NETAYANHU LOSES BIG:
    ✔ It will be a severe blow to the GOP and the RJC (Republican Jewish Coalition).
    ✔ It will impede attempts to scupper an agreement between Iran and the U.S. resolving the nuclear issue(s).

39. lysias
    March 17, 2015, 3:45 pm

The argument that it would be better if Netanyahu won reminds me of the argument German Communists made before Hitler came to power: that it would be better if he did come to power, because he would fail, and then they would be next. It didn’t work out that way.

40. JLewisDickerson
    March 17, 2015, 3:56 pm

RE: “Kristol has the reverse Midas touch; everything he touches has turned to shit.” ~ Weiss

MY COMMENT (made with feigned outrage): Phil! That’s grotesquely unfair to excrement!
    I expect better from someone having had the advantage of ‘state of the art’ toilet training.

41. just
    March 17, 2015, 4:10 pm

“Exit polls: Zionist Union and Likud neck and neck at 27 seats”

• lysias
      March 17, 2015, 4:15 pm

I just heard on RT that exit polls give Likud 28 and ZU 27. I thought they said percent, but perhaps they meant seats.

UPDATE: RT just repeated the same report, and clearly said “percent”, not “seats”.

Now they have a correspondent reporting, saying 27 seats for each of the two sides. Dejected faces at ZU headquarters. Likud much better positioned to form coalition. No mention of Joint List.

• JLewisDickerson
      March 17, 2015, 4:18 pm

That’s not good news! Hopefully the exit polls are wrong.

42. jon s
    March 17, 2015, 4:22 pm

Breaking news: exit polls say likud and ZU tied at 27. Right now nobody knows who the next PM will be.

43. lysias
    March 17, 2015, 4:34 pm

Ynetnews: Channel 10 exit poll: Zionist Union 27; Likud 27; Joint Arab List 13; Yesh Atid 11; Kulanu 10; Bayit Yehudi 8; Shas 7:

According to exit polls published by channel 10 news the Zionist Union were tied with the Likud with each recieving 27 seats.

Following was the Joint Arab List with 13 seats, Yesh Atid 11 seats, Kulanu 10 seats, Bayit Yehudi 8 seats, Shas 7 seats, United Torah Judaism 7 seats, Meretz 5 seats and Yisrael Beytenu with 5 seats.

• amigo
      March 17, 2015, 5:57 pm

here in Ireland AJ is reporting 28 seats to likud and 27 to herzog.

• Walid
        March 17, 2015, 6:03 pm

Nobody is saying anything about Lieberman. Where is he in this story?

March 17, 2015, 6:13 pm

“Lieberman ended up with five seats, according to the early exits, and has declined calls from both Herzog and Netanyahu so far, according to Israeli media.”

The Moldovan bouncer lost.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        March 17, 2015, 7:40 pm

”Also it appears that the Arab coalition list leader says he will join with herzog to prevent netanyahu from forming a government. ”

That’s all very well and good, but has he been asked? Didn’t Herzog explictly rule out any coalition with non those who don’t keep kosher?

• Stephen Shenfield
        March 17, 2015, 8:47 pm

Even with the Joint Arab List, Meretz and Yesh Atid on board that still gives Herzog only 56 seats, five short of the magic 61. It all depends on Kulanu.

44. Pixel
    March 17, 2015, 4:36 pm

Bibi was the problem.
    We voted Bibi out.
    There is no more problem.

It will take forever for “the masses” to realize that Bibi was only the current “face/name” of the problem.

What will Democrats do if Bibi wins?

Yes, it will be very bad if Bibi doesn’t win.

March 17, 2015, 4:55 pm

“If Bibi loses it will be all too easy to exploit the situation and confuse things, maybe forever, among the American masses.”

Exactly. I just finished a rousing discussion about this with a highly respected person…who wanted Netanyahu roundly and soundly defeated. I said that the Palestinians can’t wait for the world to reset the clock. They are the ones who suffering, dying, losing, mourning, aching~ nobody else.

The good news is that few people that I know like Netanyahu– even a smidge.

45. JLewisDickerson
    March 17, 2015, 4:48 pm

The AIPAC podium and background in that photo of Netanyahu reminds me of “The Softer Side of Sears” ad campaign a couple of decades ago!

1994 – Commercial – SEARS – Come see the softer side of Sears… [VIDEO, 00:38] – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czqRTFsVgY0

46. lysias
    March 17, 2015, 5:00 pm

Times of Israel: Netanyahu starts flurry of coalition calls:

Netanyahu isn’t waiting to let anyone undermine his almost certain victory.

In the minutes following the publication of exit polls, he has been calling leaders of Jewish Home, Yisrael Beytenu and Kulanu, and a meeting is being arranged with Shas’s Aryeh Deri, according to reports.

47. lysias
    March 17, 2015, 5:01 pm

RT: Netanyahu has declared victory.

• Kay24
      March 18, 2015, 3:18 am

He looked smug and gloating, even as he did that. Too confident, perhaps.

48. just
    March 17, 2015, 5:02 pm

The racist speaks:

“9:20 P.M. Likud MK praises high voter turnout in Arab sector

After Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu urged his supporters to go and vote, warning that his rule is in danger because “the Arab are voting in droves,” Likud MK Gila Gamliel expressed her happiness with reports of high voter turnout among Arab citizens.

“I praise the high voter turnout in the non-Jewish sector. I’m glad. It gives them a sense of belonging and a will to change. Maybe it won’t be expressed as support for Likud, but it will make different parties understand they should relate more to this public and put the treatment of Israeli Arabs in the foreground,” Gamliel said. (Jonathan Lis) ”

Nobody will forget what you said earlier Netanyahu… never

March 17, 2015, 5:30 pm

In no way did I mean to diminish Gila Gamliel’s statement.

I only meant that there’s no way to provide damage control for Netanyahu.

49. Scott
    March 17, 2015, 5:13 pm

Well, from what I see of the returns, Netanyahu didn’t lose. Too bad. Biggest silver lining: he acknowledged his opposition to a Palestinian state, pulling the rug out from many of his US enablers, the less honest ones. So he’s now more or less implicitly, rather than covertly, in favor of Israel as an apartheid state. That’s progress in the American debate.

50. Pixel
    March 17, 2015, 5:17 pm

Should I not be surprised that Bibi hasn’t pulled some massive illegal/unethical mischief behind the scenes to insure his victory? Oh, he did? He won.

Speaking of Chicago…

Love Rahm’s new polls showing that he’s in the lead – a transparent attempt at securing a positive outcome for himself based upon attempts to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But, why count on that?

Last week, he mailed out to every Chicago resident a blank mail-in voting form along with a pre-paid return envelope. (Gee, I wonder who ultimately funded that? How do you spell “taxpayers”?)

The key was his cover letter that came in every mailing. While he couldn’t ask/tell people to use the form to vote for him, it was clearly implied by the whole scheme.

God only knows that he probably hired the same firm to choose the paper, ink, and font that subliminally encourages voters to vote for him, as malls do in selecting music, lighting, and aroma’s that subliminally gets shopper to buy more, which is a proven correlation.

Rahm is running scared and he should be
    Hate is a very strong word that I rarely use.

We hate him.

I’ve personally volunteered to carry on my back, running them back and forth to their polling places, as many non-ambulatory, vehicle-challenged Garcia voters in the city as I can.

When I’m near collapse, I’ll switch to a travois.

51. just
    March 17, 2015, 5:22 pm

“Hate is a very strong word that I rarely use. We hate him.

After I collapse, I’ll switch to a travois.”

Good for you!! I know some Huskies…..

52. MRW
    March 17, 2015, 5:48 pm

One thing you can’t deny: the future public discourse has changed here. Foxman/AIPAC/et al can’t destroy national journalism careers for accusing Israel of apartheid or bad-faith negotiations.

53. Citizen
    March 17, 2015, 6:01 pm

Ali Abunimah ‏@AliAbunimah 24m24 minutes ago
    @maxblumenthal I love @philweiss but I’m glad his hopes were disappointed tonight.

54. just
    March 17, 2015, 6:21 pm

“11:54 P.M. Hamas: Elections should convince Abbas to abandon talks with Israel

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas should abandon negotiations with Israel following the elections in the Jewish State, Hamas official Ismail Radwan says in the Gaza Strip.

“The results should be enough to convince the Palestinian Authority and Fatah Party to forget about the choice of keeping the absurd negotiations,” he says in a statement. (DPA)”

Absolutely correct!

• Bornajoo
      March 17, 2015, 6:45 pm

“Absolutely correct!”

+1 Just!
      End the farcical debacle. Hand back the keys!

March 17, 2015, 7:10 pm

via Max B:

“Here in #Gaza were are patiently awaiting the #IsraelElex results to find out which Israeli politician will bomb us.”

March 17, 2015, 8:46 pm

“2:30 A.M. The chief Palestinian negotiator expects Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to form the next Israeli government and has declared that the Palestinians in turn will push forward with diplomatic efforts at the International Criminal Court.

“It is clear that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will form the next government, and for that, we say clearly that we will go to the Hague Tribunal, we will accelerate, continue and intensify” diplomatic efforts, top Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat told Agence France-Presse. (JTA)”

Run, don’t walk. Actually, sprint! The Palestinians have overcome/endured many of the hurdles, this one is a no- brainer. Fatou Bensouda, can you hear them now??? Here’s a refresher: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/03/disregarding-elections-palestinians
        It’s called “Disregarding Gaza”…

55. yonah fredman
    March 17, 2015, 6:44 pm

March 17, 2015, 7:30 pm

“When JVP has Angela Davis addressing them with such a rousing reception, it shows that JVP is not ready for prime time.”

Gee, Yonah, maybe JVP should take your correspondence course on “How to Win Friends and Influence People”

• Pixel
      March 17, 2015, 9:27 pm

@Yonah

Any conference that offers free brownies and lemon squares is ready for Prime Time!!

March 18, 2015, 5:50 pm

Yonah, it is whispered among the ovens of Hester Street, would turn his politics inside-out and upside-down for a free brownie or lemon square. For both he’d become a Stalinist!

Except, to get the lemon-squares or brownies, he would have to brave Angela Davis, and she’s scary!

56. Amar
    March 17, 2015, 6:58 pm

I like the way Huffpo has been going on N’yahu lately. Sample articles:

Bibi Netanyahu — Servant of Fear
    Netanyahu Reveals His Duplicity, Demagoguery and Deceit
    Barney Frank Says Netanyahu And The GOP Want War With Iran

57. just
    March 17, 2015, 6:59 pm

“The term “to burn your bridges” comes from the days of Roman conquests, when generals such as Julius Caesar would burn the bridges and set fire to the boats on which their soldiers traveled, in order to prevent them from contemplating retreat. Without the bridges and boats, of course, it was very difficult to resupply the legions after the battle had been won. Today, if you burn your bridges, you are severing contacts that you might very well need somewhere down the line.

That’s what Benjamin Netanyahu did on the way to his surprise draw with Isaac Herzog on Tuesday, which he has already declared, perhaps prematurely, to be a victory.

Netanyahu burned his bridges with the Arab minority with racially tinged Election Day exhortations hitherto reserved for rabble rousers to his right. He set fire to the ships that carry the load of Israel’s ties to the international community, especially the Obama administration, when he suddenly reneged on his agreement in principle to a Palestinian state.

He set fire to the tent in which the half of Israel that didn’t vote for him resides, by depicting them as pawns in some vast and ludicrous conspiracy that involves malevolent anti-Semites, nasty-minded NGOs, cigar-chomping tycoons, greedy Citizen Kane-type publishers and, inexplicably, sly subversives from Scandinavia.

In recent days, Netanyahu even took a page from the GOP’s Southern Strategy, as enunciated in 1970 by Nixon aide Kevin Phillips: “The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans.””

58. a blah chick
    March 17, 2015, 7:00 pm

Joint Arab list – 13 seats.

Yisrael Beytenu -5 seats.

Mr. Lieberman, here’s your petard, sir.

Bwahahahahaha!

59. Pixel
    March 17, 2015, 9:17 pm

Interesting bit on Wolf Blitzer, CNN this afternoon.

Blitzer discussing with GOP Presidential Candidate Ben Carson, Carson’s equating the US with Nazi Germany.

Video clip rolls.

– Blitzer is incredulous.

– Carson explains it.

– Blitzer challenges.

– Carson says Blitzer is missing the point

– Astonished, Blitzer says the term “Nazi Germany” is about the killing of 6 million Jews

– Carson says Blitzer has proved the point he (Carson) is making. Exclusively equating “Nazi Germany” with the killing of 6 million Jews is being PC, something that Carson challenges.

– Blitzer can’t believe it.

=====

It’s one thing to say that being gay is a choice (as prisoners prove), it’s another thing ENTIRELY to mess with the Holocaust narrative. I give it less than 24 hours for it to be claimed somewhere by someone that Carson is a Holocaust Denier. Mark my word.

I wonder if Ben’s been reading Finklesteins, The Holocaust Industry.

I wonder if Ben knows that in Europe he’d be arrested for that.

• Pixel
      March 17, 2015, 9:30 pm

Gotta roll back on this…

I missed that the date on this was 12/3/14.

60. Pixel
    March 17, 2015, 9:23 pm

This on @MJay Rosenberg..

MJ Rosenberg retweeted
    Peter Beinart @PeterBeinart · 3h 3 hours ago

kudos to @RepAdamSchiff who’s on @CNN now saying US won’t veto Palestinian UN resolutions if Israeli govt doesn’t back Palestinian state

61. Pixel
    March 17, 2015, 9:51 pm

בנימין נתניהו @netanyahu · 3h 3 hours ago

Every family, soldier, citizen, Jewish or not are important to me! We will form a strong government to work for them.

62. kalithea
    March 18, 2015, 11:17 am

Pardon the pun and the sarcasm, but is there really green cheese on the moon and does Cinderella really end up living happily ever after in a castle with her prince because she fit a glass slipper? I’d rather she was a single mom with a good pair of shoes, who after working hard raises a child who ends up President; heck maybe she can study part-time and become empowered herself.

Any party that has the word Zionist or Zionism in its name and is overtly intent on rescuing Zionism’s legitimacy is the worst thing that can happen to the Palestinians right now and their legitimate quest for a viable state, their rights and justice.

And by the way, there is no Left political wing of any consequence in Israel; there will never be such a thing; there is only Centrism that pretends to have Leftist inclinations, particularly social ones, EXCEPT where the Palestinians are concerned, of course. And these Centrist types have been in power enough times in the past and still hundreds and thousands of Palestinians died, and still they were dispossessed, the settlements continued and still they suffered military oppression and blockade and other forms of cruel punishment for simply existing!

So Netanyahu is the trial by fire that needs to be passed through. Sometimes there is no other way! Better he and his following do one colossal stupid thing that turns the world against Zionism than a limbo of perpetual suffering for more generations of Palestinians. Better Zionism on the losing end of legitimacy than on the gaining end!

There is and never will be a kinder, gentler Zionism; or pie in the sky miracle transformation as far Zionism is concerned where justice is finally served for Palestinians. Dragging out Zionism’s demise hoping for such an outcome is a PIPE DREAM and crueler than anything as there will be certain pain and death for Palestinians no matter what type of Zionist is in power.

Zionism will exist as long as Liberal Zionists exist! It is only when Liberal Zionists grow a brain and stop supporting this criminal endeavor that ethnically cleansed over a million people, that is still doing so, that killed and oppressed so many and prevents millions from having their homes and land back that justice will finally be served and maybe a nation for ALL Jew, Muslim and Christian will evolve. And maybe, just maybe, a Jewish majority in that land or region is not a realistic plan and never was. Maybe Jews should just settle for a modest presence, artefacts and shrines of their faith or myth, like Christians do for the sake of peace. Maybe that’s the best deal that can be made – a guarantee that Jerusalem will be a protected place for all faiths. Maybe trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and surround it by nukes to ensure the crazy experiment continues was an insane plan just like it’s promoter was insane to imagine it was anything but a crime against humanity.

Those who are trying to rescue Zionism are and continue to be the real enemies of justice AND peace.